January 25th, 2013
01:16 PM ET
Share this on:

Editor's note: For more on Hannah Storm, don't miss "Sanjay Gupta, MD" on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. ET Saturday and 7:30 a.m. ET Sunday.

ESPN "SportsCenter" host Hannah Storm suffered severe burns as the result of a propane grill accident at her Connecticut home on December 11. CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta spoke with her recently. Here is an edited version of that interview.

CNN: Is it hard for you to just be by that grill where this all happened, psychologically?

Posted by:
Filed under: Cooking • Grilling • Grilling • Injuries

June 19th, 2012
12:15 PM ET
Share this on:

An investigation is ongoing, but authorities believe that Jay Luther, co-owner and chef of Nashville's popular Germantown Cafe, was trapped in the cooler of the restaurant's east side location when a lock malfunctioned.

Posted by:
Filed under: Chefs • Injuries

April 17th, 2012
05:11 PM ET
Share this on:

TMZ and other sources report that Miley Cyrus was rushed to the emergency room on Monday night after wounding herself with a knife while cooking dinner in her Toluca, California, home. Her mother and boyfriend, Liam Hemsworth of "Hunger Games" fame, took her to get the bloody cut stitched up at a nearby emergency room.

We've been there, Miley. We've been there. And we have the scars to prove it.

Glue the wound, skip the stitches - How pro chefs handle kitchen wounds

Deep cuts from the comments - Tales from the kitchen trenches

Burn, slice, sear – cooking is a dangerous business - A gory treasury of kitchen injuries

Oops, I burned my cleavage - Hot times at the grill

Posted by:
Filed under: Cooking • Injuries • Make

January 27th, 2012
10:45 AM ET
Share this on:

Your souffle fell flat, your bechamel broke, or your beef stew was insufficiently delicious. Sometimes it's you. Sometimes it's the recipe.

At least you likely didn't suffer facial wounds like the 14 people who who successfully sued Chilean newspaper La Tercera for printing a churro recipe, that proved quite...explosive.

Seven years after the incident, Chile's supreme court ruled that the oil temperature provided was high enough to cause inevitable injury to anyone who attempted to make the fried dough snack at home. Compensation will be based on the seriousness of the damage (none of which was permanently disfiguring), in amounts ranging from $5000 to $50,000.

Posted by:
Filed under: Cooking • Injuries • Make • News • Weird News

| Part of