December 27th, 2013

Feeling a little extra jolly this holiday season? You're in copious - and well-fed - company.

A CNN/ORC International Poll released Friday reveals that the majority of adult Americans opt not to ho-ho-hold back from holiday foods to stave off weight gain, and instead just enjoy the season's treats.

According to the survey, 53% of respondents say they'll indulge and eat what they want because it is a special time of year. That's a gain of 6 percentage points over the 2006 poll, and an exact match to the mindset of respondents in 1996.

The 18-34 bracket is the demographic group most likely to throw caution to the breeze at the holiday buffet table, with 64% opting for indulgence. Those age 65 and over are least likely to allow themselves tasty temptations, with only 40% saying they'll give into the gluttony of the season.

Men are also more likely to just dive face-first into the fridge, with 57% saying indulgence is on the menu, as opposed to 49% of female respondents.

That's not to say that all eaters are just cramming down sugar cookies by the fistful and slurping gravy straight from the ladle (though that does sound like a pretty excellent party): 35% of all respondents say they'll limit what they eat, down from 36% in 2006.

The survey also broke down data into political affiliations and geographic locations. Republicans and Midwesterners are the groups most actively attempting to refrain from excess eating (41%), while Democrats and rural dwellers were the least likely (31%) to set such limits upon their festivity.

And despite the inevitable glut of weight loss ads in January, Americans aren't especially swallowing the (low-fat, sugar-free) bait. Only 23% of all respondents claimed to be "very likely" to embark upon a major dietary overhaul after the holiday, and 38% dismissed the possibility completely.

Least likely to embark on a plan of nutrition action are rural dwellers (45%), those over 65 years old and people who haven't attended college (43% for both groups). The carrot stick and kale smoothie brigade will be led by denizens of urban areas (30%), people age 35-49 (27%) as well as Democrats and Southerners (26%).

A total of 1,035 adults were interviewed by telephone nationwide December 16-19 by live interviewers calling both land lines and cell phones. All respondents were asked questions concerning basic demographics, and the entire sample was weighted to reflect national Census Bureau figures for gender, race, age, education, region of country, and telephone usage. Among the entire sample, 33% described themselves as Democrats, 24% described themselves as Republicans, and 43% described themselves as independents or members of another party.

What's your holiday health scheme? Weigh in below in the comments.

See more in New Year's booze and food news

1. UriNation

"Eat, Drink, & Feel Mary. Then, Jump For Joy!

December 28, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
    • Joyce

Don't feel Mary. She'll just get you fatter.

December 29, 2013 at 4:27 am |
  2. edwardst35

Fat people who are fat from overeating and not with glandular problems they cannot correct, are revolting, demeaning, offensive and disgusting.

December 28, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
    • Miles

Seriously. Especially girls. I mean, do you like being alone? Why any girl would choose food over companionship is beyond me?!

December 28, 2013 at 11:07 pm |
      • Ruthann Adamsky

I'll take food over companionship with YOU, Miles. The way all you 'boys' think you are everything in this world; we can buy the battery-operated item, you know. Who needs boys with attitude?

December 29, 2013 at 12:47 am |
      • somebody

I don't know if you are aware, but that comment is highly misogynistic, and is also demeaning to overweight individuals. Same thing could be said for guys – just because a girl or guy overeats does not mean they are deliberately forgoing relationships. Besides, applying that only to girls is ridiculous, and displays a blind adherence to the unequal gender standards of American society. Consider this statement: "Seriously. Especially guys. I mean, do you like being alone? Why any guy would choose food over companionship is beyond me?!" Would you be offended if a girl said that to you? I know I would be. But it doesn't happen, because gender inequity warps what is acceptable to say to people of one gender or another. So if you think that your attitude could possibly win you favor with any girl, you have another think coming. You're entitled to your opinion, as I am to mine, so feel free to tell me that I'm wrong. Just try not to inject it with any more misogyny or fat shaming if you expect a response from me.

December 29, 2013 at 4:19 pm |
    • Jibby Jib

Some fat people have mental problems, i.e. self-esteem, abused, etc. And some are just gluttons. Some have just given up. The ones that make me sad, are the teens. A lot of them look really unhappy. Probably have crappy parents and no self-restraint.

December 28, 2013 at 11:07 pm |
    • Joe

There ALWAYS is a reason for the way people behave and the reason why they act how they do. Always. Over-eating is not an exception to the rule. You probably should keep that in mind.

If it was just simple math involved (eat this amount of calories and get this result) who wouldn't be able to do that? Life is complicated. They have their issues... you have your issues (even if they're less visible). End of story.

December 28, 2013 at 11:52 pm |
    • Charlotte

As if you were in a position to judge. Revolting? Really? Only if you view people strictly in a sexusl lense. You, my friend, are the one who is revoling, if you are only capable of viewing people in terms of their attractiveness to yourself.

December 29, 2013 at 12:22 am |
  3. edwardst35

One of the problems is the reality food shows on TV. Like the spiked white haired fat boy who travels from restaurant to restaurant enticing the viewers to try this and try that! He is an offensive and fat glutton who makes love to his food. Then there is that Australian fellow who claims to help restaurants that are failing. I find these food shows offensive because they dare Americans to eat more! We have a fat America and it is revolting!

December 28, 2013 at 10:53 pm |
    • Kevin

If you think Anthony Bourdain is fat then you must live in Ukraine circa 1932.

December 29, 2013 at 4:45 am |
      • creature99

I think the previous poster is speaking of Guy Fieri...who is only slightly overweight, but substantially overpaid.

December 29, 2013 at 9:39 pm |
  4. Smarterest Human

People should eat what they want, then take FDA approved BELVIQ to reduce their obesity

December 28, 2013 at 10:51 pm |
  5. lean6

Whut eva...I do whut I want! (Cartman, South Park)

December 28, 2013 at 10:44 pm |
    • Jibby Jib

Hey you hippie freak: respect my author-ah-tie !!!

December 28, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
    • Jane

True. I find those shows disgusting. The spiked pudgy lad will have a coronary before he's 50.

December 28, 2013 at 11:58 pm |
  6. Marc

I voted "Other". I indulge, but it's because I worked hard all year in a fitness bootcamp. Back at it on Monday. I think indulging isn't so bad if you weren't unhealthy all year.

December 28, 2013 at 10:36 pm |
  7. puddintane

"I'll take whatever dope I want in private and in public."

December 28, 2013 at 10:31 pm |
    • edwardst35

Dopes usually do!

December 28, 2013 at 10:55 pm |
  8. Juergen

I eat what I want, when I want. Hardly any sweets. Lots of protein and veggies. If I could stop with the vodka, I'd be in great shape.

December 28, 2013 at 10:22 pm |
  9. mickinmd

I began a Calorie Counting diet on Nov. 8, 2012, and went from 294 lbs to 239.8 lbs on Nov. 7, 2013. And each week I usually have a double footlong hotdog with chili or a stuffed Italian Cheesesteak Sub, etc. The Holidays plus some birthday parties slowed me down by I'm down to 237.9 now. The trick is to limit your breakfast and lunch calories with not snacking before dinner.

I went on the free sparkpeople.com in Nov. 2012, entered my fitness, personal, and goal information and it told me that to lose the weight I wanted I had to stay under about 2000 Calories per day.

Frozen breakfasts and lunches and dinners helped a lot. Today you can get many that approximate the Mediterranean Diet's 50% Carbs, 25% Protein, 25% Fat ideal. Many are just a little high in sodium and recent studies suggest that's not a problem for otherwise healthy people.

You can get Jimmy Dean Delights Muffin sandwiches with turkey sausage, egg, and cheese at 250 Calories ($1.25/ea) or Jimmy Dean's, Aunt Jemima's, or Store Brand "Breakfast Bowls" or "Breakfast Scramble" (7 oz, $1.79 to $2.07): with sausage, egg, potato, cheese from 250 to 390 Calories. I love salsa and adding a quarter to half a cup to a breakfast bowl only adds 15-30 Calories – and they're good calories. For lunches there's Lean Cuisine's 9.25 oz Stuff Cabbage (a Polish Golubki) in tomato sauce with mash potatoes at 210 Calories ($1.67), Banquet's 9.25 oz Turkey Meal at 240 Calories ($1.15) or you can pig out with Lean Cuisine's 12 oz Spaghetti and Meat Sauce at 320 Calories ($1.67) – all Walmart prices. There is a tremendous selection of excellent tasting lunches from Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, Smart Ones, Atkins, etc. that are in the $1.67 to $2.50 range. Additional

After lunch, even with half-and-half in my morning coffee and a small bit of fudge, I'm almost always in the 600 to 900 Calorie range when it's dinner time. Then you can get 15-16 oz. $2.50 meals that are 380 – 560 Calories. Or you can get something like Marie Calender's 24 oz. scalloped potatoes and eat half of it (560 Cal), bake 8 oz (180 Cal) of Tilapia or Haddock or Cod (all $4.48/12 oz. or less from frozen boneless filets) and a can of stewed tomatoes (100 Cal).

After a few days of staying well below the max. calories, you can splurge and get a gyro with fries, etc.

December 28, 2013 at 10:02 pm |
    • Smarterest Human

Do you really think you should be counting .1ths of a pound when you're pushing 300? Me neither.

December 28, 2013 at 10:52 pm |
      • Kate

Why do you need to be so rude to someone who has done a wonderful job at taking control and losing weight, and was simply trying to tell others it is possible to do on a budget, and still have an occasional splurge?
        This country is incredibly unhealthy and overweight. Many people don't know how to lose weight or believe it's not possible to do it cheaply. Even if this helps only one or two people give it a try, it's worth it!

Mickinmd, congtratulations! Well done, keep it up!

December 28, 2013 at 11:11 pm |
    • Joyce

I lost 20 lbs just by eating lean cuisine for lunch every day for about 6 months. Then, being unemployed, lost another 20 lbs by eating one meal a day before dinner...usually a yoghurt, or sardines.

I'm proud of my weight loss, but realize it's not easy for everybody. I think we should be more gentle about judging others on their weight.. They're still good people.

December 29, 2013 at 4:35 am |
  10. Chuck

Food police...........Debbie Downer

December 28, 2013 at 9:57 pm |
    • Alexander Dickerson

Food Police
      Oh yes I will eat what I want when I want it in my own house here in the United States of America.

December 28, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
  11. CherryMama

Uh, we don't hold back any time of the year, apparently...

December 28, 2013 at 9:49 pm |
    • American Worker

Most people know moderation.

It's an elitist opinion that most people have no self control or common sense.

People engage in what their pursuit of happiness is.
      Defining happiness for others is a social supremacist objective.

Leave people's cultures be.
      When we don't is when we find ourselves in peril or engaged in ethnic cleansing.

December 28, 2013 at 10:02 pm |
      • CherryMama

You are wise, my good sir.

December 29, 2013 at 2:19 am |
        • Joyce

I'm unemployed and will have no income after January 1st, 2014. But I've planned a traditional Southern New Years day dinner. Black eyed peas and rice, collard greens, and cornbread. Very cheap, but kind of special, since I'm a northerner. I hope it will be good, but I know it will be nutritious and cheap. There are a lot of nutritious, yet inexpensive meals, that don't mean extra calories....but you've gotta wanna....and sometimes McDonalds seems like a quick and easy alternative. I get that...but hope that people will be able to put in the extra little effort to cook their own food....like rice and beans, which is easy and very nutritious.

December 29, 2013 at 4:43 am |
    • Sharkies

You are correct, it's the 51 weeks between New Years and Christmas that counts, not the one week of celebration! I actually have the opposite problem: very active, and a small appetite... I have trouble keeping weight on!

December 28, 2013 at 10:19 pm |
  12. American Worker

Doctor, I don't drink, don't smoke, don't engage in risky behavior.
    What more can I do to improve my life?

Doctor's response:
    Get a @*&! life.

Life is pointless without some risk and enjoyment.

I'm not asking or expecting you to pay for my risk.
    Your efforts to impose your health standards and care upon me is an intrusion.
    "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

December 28, 2013 at 9:47 pm |
    • edwardst35

A glutton is a despicable human being. One of the 7 sins is gluttony!

December 28, 2013 at 11:03 pm |
    • Kate

This is the dumbest thing I've ever read. Learn about how the system works before you say "not asking anyone to pay for me." Because the whole country is paying for our collective terrible health. And I say that as a fit adult with BMI of 19.5.

December 28, 2013 at 11:15 pm |
  13. Kitty

I'm indulging, but still trying to be aware of what I eat. Instead of just grabbing the mashed potatoes and stuffing and pie and rolls and such, I'm fighting myself to make sure I get the green beans and carrots and corn as well. it's not easy, but I think I'm losing a bit of weight doing it. Note: I'm not "Dieting" I'm trying to become aware of what I'm eating and working towards making better choices. it's one step at a time, when this is second nature I'll move on to another step.

December 28, 2013 at 9:46 pm |
  14. Kristine Delmore

I generally eat a healthy diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables. From Thanksgiving to New Year's I splurge. My grandparents did too (lived into their '90's). Live a little!

December 28, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
  15. Eva Braun's Ghost

Adolf and I loved eating Jews over the holiday season, especially on Hannukah. They make for great candles on the menorah as well!

December 28, 2013 at 9:45 pm |
    • cali girl

I'm ashamed to say I can't stop laughing from this, damn you Eva Braun

December 28, 2013 at 10:26 pm |
  16. Dirty Rick Sanchez

The bigger, the better and I'm not talking about my food although I do love a good fat feast!

December 28, 2013 at 9:43 pm |
  17. NiceBigClip

Nobody can say no to holiday pie with whipped cream, I'm not talking about the food of course!

December 28, 2013 at 9:42 pm |
  18. NiceBigClit

December 28, 2013 at 9:41 pm |
  19. Splinter

Is there anything worse than food scolds? Just miserable people, through and through. I wonder what the psychology is.

December 28, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
  20. jeff

After a year of Obamacare mandates...you won't get food choices anymore. You will have to eat what the Government says or face penalties and punishment.

December 28, 2013 at 9:31 pm |
    • SA Steve

that provision is only included for people like you who have no capacity for thinking. cheers and best wishes for your recovery.

December 28, 2013 at 9:42 pm |
      • Eva Braun's Ghost

Adolf perfected this particular policy of Obamacare, I think Mr. Obama will do a fine job implementing it as long as he keeps his hands (and head) out of the oven

December 28, 2013 at 9:46 pm |
    • Charlotte

Wow, Jeff, you like making up sh1t or do you just slobber over FOX all the time? The ACA doesn't limit your food choices nor does Obama (either Barak or Michelle). You must be a sad excuse of a human being to try so hard to project your own impotence on the government just becuase the government tries to inform us all as to what might be ther healthiest choices. If you are allergic to information, that's your funeral and nobody cares how quickly you die. We will buy our red dancing shoes for the graveside ceremony. Meanwhile – grow up and quit being a rightcunt.

December 29, 2013 at 12:27 am |
  21. Hadenuffyet

Just perused the topic/pic and what did I see? A Tums ad in the adjacent frame.....too funny.

December 28, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
  22. lagunalady27

Thank you for using the word "gluttony" in your article. The word stopped being used about the time the term "super sized" came into vogue. Perhaps if the act of excessively stuffing one's face was called gluttony, one of the seven deadly sins, as it was before, a few more people would pause to think before devouring what was once considered a serving size for a family of four.

December 28, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
  23. Gelli

If by 'holidays' do you mean Christmas? If so, why not say so!

December 28, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
    • Rosebud

I understand "holidays" to be a catch-all term for Thanksgiving, Christmas, the New Year, or some combination thereof. And you can throw in there the non-food-centered holidays as well if you like!

December 28, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
      • Gelli

Thanksgiving is gone, New Years is not known as a feast, so we mean Christmas?

December 29, 2013 at 12:51 am |
    • marissafriedcj

Some people do celebrate Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Yule, etc. too.....

December 28, 2013 at 10:31 pm |
      • Gelli

Most people do not celebrate that other stuff, so why not just say Christmas, and it has nothing to be a christurd! in fact I'd rather be one of them than someone bending over backwards to be PC!

December 29, 2013 at 12:54 am |
    • Charlotte

Because Christmas is the least important of the solstice celebrations and the article is trying to be inclusive of most people, rather than the Christurds.

December 29, 2013 at 12:28 am |
      • Gelli

No, in most civilized countries it IS the most important of the solstice celebrations even if you are a Welsh Heathen like me. Its CHRISTMAS! Christmas presents, Christmas Carols, Christmas songs. Do you really know anyone that gives Kwanza gifts? sings Kwanza songs, eats Kwanza cake. Some don't even know how to spell it!

December 29, 2013 at 12:59 am |
        • Joyce

Yeah, people should get over all the PC sh1t. Christmas is Christmas, whether you believe in Christ or not. It's a holiday, people get together with family, celebrate whatever, and generally pay more attention to the people they care about. What could be wrong with that....regardless of one's religious affiliation? I'm an agnostic, but can still appreciate all the Christmas celebrations..Hope is hope....love is love..regardless of one's beliefs about God or Jesus.

December 29, 2013 at 4:53 am |
      • billbfit

Worthless slob.

December 29, 2013 at 9:04 am |
      • Emmanuel

JESUS CAN KEEP YOU
        Now unto Him that is able to keep you from falling and to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy. (Jude 2)

HOW CAN YOU BE SAVED?
        Behold I stand at the door, and knock: If any man hear My voice and open the door, I will come in. (Revelation 3:20)
        But as many as received Him, to them gave He the power to become the sons of God. (John 1:12)

My Decision to Accept God’s Salvation

1. I realize after reading “God’s Plan of Salvation” that I am a sinner.
        2. I believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose from the dead to be my Savior.
        3. I know that He is the only One who can save me.
        4. I admit that I am a sinner and need Christ to be my Savior.
        5. I accept His salvation and now receive Him, Jesus Christ, to be my Savior and Lord.
        6. I willingly turn from my sins and will live for Christ Who has saved me.
        7. I thank God for saving me and I will seek His will for my life.

My Prayer of Confession and Salvation

Dear Jesus:
        I admit that I am a sinner and need to be saved. I realize that You alone can save me from my sins, I ask right now for Your forgiveness and salvation. I believe that You died for my sins and that You rose from the grave. I am sorry for my sins and ask that You come into my heart and take control of my life. I ask Your Holy Spirit to lead me and guide me so that I may live for You as my Savior and Lord. In Your Name. Amen.

THE BIBLE SAYS: He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life. 1 John 5:12,13

December 31, 2013 at 3:57 am |
  24. 6%

6% more people saying 'let loose'? I'm not surprised – with free healthcare from the government, who needs to be healthy?

December 28, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
    • Charlotte

If you're referring to the ACA, then you should know it is not "free healthcare" despit what FOCK News vomits up to you. The ACA is simply a regulation imposed on free -market insurance. Sorry to burst your thugturd bubble.

December 29, 2013 at 12:29 am |
  25. Steve

How bout jus "Get off your lazy arse and get active!" All this talk about fat, obesity, diet, cutting back. If you were active, you'd have a completely different outlook on life.

December 28, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
  26. northstar

Worst are the buffets, you think you have to try everything, in my case... never again

December 28, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
  27. Jan

When indulging the pleasures of treats, remember that how the food makes you feel BESIDES its taste is important to whether and how much to eat of any treat foods is actually "indulging" rather than self-infliction of pain. Treats are not treats if they make you feel bad, and being able to weigh immediate effects with longer-term effects is a large part of emotional maturity.

December 28, 2013 at 11:38 am |
  28. dale.zalewski

No kidding! This is the one time of year when it's permissible to push oneself to the brinks of alcoholism and diabetes.

December 28, 2013 at 10:33 am |
  29. southerncelt

Most (grown up) American people could stand to lose at least 20 pounds.The only successful "diet" requires a permanent change in lifestyle that most people aren't willing to make. Read labels before buying something. It may surprise you. An overdose of salt and sugar is in EVERYTHING at the grocery store. Cut down on the salt and sugar (less than 50 carbs per meal), get some exercise (like walk a couple miles every day), no booze (goes straight to sugar in your blood), drink lots of water instead of other things, and I guarantee you will lose weight. Some things may be non-negotiable (like Diet Dr. Pepper in my case), so you make adjustments to counter any negative affect. Moderation and balance are the keys.

December 28, 2013 at 9:28 am |
    • Nobody You Know

There's too much salt and sugar in "everything in the grocery store"? I don't believe that's quite accurate. Where would you suggest one buy one's food, then?

December 28, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
  30. Al

I lost 1lb. I think it fell out of my pocket while at my inlaws house.

December 28, 2013 at 9:16 am |
    • southerncelt

That's why they should still be paper instead of coins :-).

December 28, 2013 at 9:35 am |
    • Joyce

Yeah...and think about all the fat, lazy Russians who eat bad food, drink Vodka every day, and live to be 95. We try to eat right and keep fit....but we all die anyway.

December 29, 2013 at 5:00 am |
  31. KieranH

Absolutely!! It is the one time of year to be a gluttonous slob, and it is not that hard to be active enough to burn it off quickly thereafter.

December 28, 2013 at 7:51 am |
    • southerncelt

Metabolism changes with age, so losing weight gets harder as you age if you over indulge. Enjoy youth while you can, it doesn't last.

December 28, 2013 at 9:38 am |
      • sawolf

Metabolism slows if one allows muscle to atrophy. Maintain an eccentric resistance circuit program and type I muscle will be retained, hence a higher resting metabolic rate.

December 28, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
  32. SixDegrees

I see the paleo crazy train has pulled into the station, as it does every time food is mentioned even peripherally on CNN.

December 28, 2013 at 7:45 am |
    • Anabelle

The paleo "crazy train" as you call it has enabled me to lose 30 lbs, given me tons of energy that has enabled me to start and continue an exercise regimen, and my blood tests are perfect. I'm blood type O, and so the paleo lifestyle works very well for me. I crave nothing and eat as much as I want without having to worry about it. If that's crazy, then sign me up for the nuthouse.

December 28, 2013 at 8:35 pm |
  33. SixDegrees

So, missing from the article is how much weight the average person can expect to gain over the holiday season.

Not much, as it turns out. Maybe a pound, or two at most.

The problem isn't that weight you gain during the holidays. It's that it never comes off again, and after 20 or 40 years, you've packed on an additional 20 to 80 pounds, gradually, without much noticing it.

Best to enjoy the month of holidays, being aware that maybe excess is a minor problem, then spend a similar amount of time afterward working off the small gain.

December 28, 2013 at 7:44 am |
    • Charlotte

Gaining a pound or two over the holidays is not insignificant, if it's real weight gain (as opposed to water).

December 29, 2013 at 12:32 am |
  34. Mariela

If only we would have donated money to the Philippines or another area that really needs our help instead of pigging out...shame on me and all of us

December 27, 2013 at 9:23 pm |
  35. docrock

I'm currently in the best shape of my life! I owe it all to my gluten free diet

December 27, 2013 at 9:11 pm |
  36. Frank

America is fat.

December 27, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
    • newshound

So? We all have the freedom to weigh however much we want.

December 27, 2013 at 9:05 pm |
      • JoeyE

LOL! do what we want to eat? I'll pass.. I'll follow BMI and healthy food!

December 27, 2013 at 11:19 pm |
      • Macro Investor

And we have the freedom to make fun of and ridicule disgusting fatasses like yourself :)

December 28, 2013 at 12:20 am |
        • amen.

Molto moooo

December 28, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
        • newshound

I am a normal weight for my height. Remember what they say about those who assume.

December 28, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
      • sawolf

Just don't expect us to pay for the pharmaceuticals to keep your bloated body functioning and go right ahead and suicide by overindulgence. BTW, it's the android visceral fat that mediates chronic disease,so enjoy.

December 28, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
        • newshound

0bamacare will force all of us to pay for everyone else.

December 28, 2013 at 9:35 pm |
      • FlyingGirl44

Hey Newshound–We're already paying for everyone else healthcare. That's what high insurance premiums are all about. They'd be lower if more people were insured and paying into the pool. AND they'd be lower if people took more responsibility for their health. Chronic diseases are expensive and drive up healthcare costs for everyone. Do we all want to pay for your self-inflicted open-heart surgery? That's not cheap, but you're happy to pass the cost on to the hospitals, who pass it on to the insurance companies, who pass it on to us as high insurance premiums. You sure don't like Obamacare but you seem not to know what the healthcare problems are in this country.

December 29, 2013 at 12:02 am |
  37. Peggy

Keep up with the gym, and enjoy some seasonal delights!

December 27, 2013 at 8:15 pm |
  38. Mike

I can't eat grain products or dairy due to celiac disease. Grain especially cause weight gain. Otherwise I eat as much as I want of anything else and am still normal weight.

December 27, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
  39. incient

Eat less; exercise more. Simple!

December 27, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
  40. Clown

After Thanksgiving dinner I didn't eat any pie or ice cream.

December 27, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
    • LIttle Sister@Clown

You didn't eat either – you ate both!

December 27, 2013 at 7:30 pm |
      • Clown

I had a small plate of Turkey with fixings for dinner and that's it. No ice cream, pie or sweets of any kind. This Is how I stay at my 170#.

December 27, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
        • JoeyE

wise choice.. I

December 27, 2013 at 11:26 pm |
  41. GJC

I'm 63 years old. I wish I could pig-out but I just can't. At my age, I get full so quickly that the best I can manage is a piece of cake or pie. Not complaining though.

December 27, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
  42. AleeD from Home Sweet Home®

Just enjoy and don't worry .... because when you get back to your pre-holiday lifestyle, those holiday pounds will melt away.

December 27, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • Charlotte

Indeed. If you feel like eating a bit more (which I never do) then if you go right back to your normal routine, it will just be a blip and won't have long-term effect. I took two bites of the chocolate cheesecake I made for my relatives and that was all I could tolerate. Yeccch. Why anyone eats that crap is beyond me, but they devoured it. I was like, ok, I tasted it, it came out right, fine, I don't want any more.

December 29, 2013 at 12:35 am |
    • fosho nigggaz

Peeennniiiisssss 8=====>

December 29, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
      • Carlos Danger

White and 11---> Wanna see a pic?

December 29, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
  43. Makeitwork

My goal during the holidays is simply not to gain. I will indulge, but not over do it. I still work out, just a tad harder though to burn up any extra calories I may have consumed.

December 27, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
  44. Jane

Half the population should be screaming 'diet'. Pudgy, jiggly people are quite in denial as they spoon ice cream into their fat cheeks.

December 27, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
    • Bob

Not my half. Meanwhile, you sound like a joyful, warm-hearted person that most of the world is just dying to meet!

December 27, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
      • newshound

Yes, sign me up for her fan club RIGHT NOW!!!

December 27, 2013 at 9:07 pm |
  45. strugglewithgluten

Dieting doesn't work. Dieting suggests denying yourself something you want. We're human and most of us will break down at one point or another when we try to "diet" or "deny" ourselves something.

Hey, here's a novel idea. NO MORE DIETS. However, you CAN and WILL lose weight if you simply make sure the calories going in are less than the calories going out. That needs to be your WHY. As in, "why can't I eat 10 cheeseburgers everyday? Answer – because it's more calories going in than going out, so, NO". So, if you had a coke for breakfast, fast food for lunch, then because of calories in calories out – you'll need to eat something without any calories for dinner. End of story. OR, you could simply choose to eat healthier foods which will allow you to eat as much as you want since the amount of calories in basic food such as chicken, pork, lean meats, brown rice, etc etc is very low while the nutritional value is very high. But, I didn't say you can eat "whatever you want". There's a difference and that's where the "why" comes into it. So, no, say NO to diets and say yes to healthy eating choices and a little exercise every week (3 times at 30 minutes per week) and over the next year you WILL LOSE WEIGHT.

December 27, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
    • Jane

In principle...however. Folks who are porkers need to get to a healthy weight. The porkers won't lose 75 pounds by eating a balanced diet. They will maintain a healthy weight once they 'diet' .

Jiggly fat doesn't go away unless calories are below those to maintain daily function. These fat folks-re not starting off at point zero on a graph. Their hearts and organs need weight loss now.

December 27, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
      • Patrick Quon

I'm sorry, what was that? I was chewing the fat on my prime rib and I couldn't hear you.

December 27, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
      • Bob

Your "jiggly fat" comment shows you are equal parts dumb AND mean. If you are 75 pounds overweight and cut your food intake, of course you will lose weight. You don't have to take it to survival thresholds.

December 27, 2013 at 5:32 pm |
        • babydoc

Maybe if more people told the truth and said "jiggly fat" there would be less of it.

December 27, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
      • newshound

Get invited to many parties?

December 27, 2013 at 9:09 pm |
    • docrock

Now that Obamacare is here, I can finally start losing weight

December 27, 2013 at 9:12 pm |
  46. Hrbgrwr

Nobody has to diet anymore,In America we take statin drugs and as many bags of potatoe chips as we like...

December 27, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
    • Nobody You Know

Statins aren't going to keep you from gaining weight. Why don't you read something?

December 28, 2013 at 1:03 pm |
  47. cali girl

The holidays are for the sweets, high fat, butter and loaded calories. Stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, green bean casserole. The list goes on and on.
    Gifts I give people are homemade goodies. So if you are on a diet, don't be on my list.

December 27, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
    • angelosdaughter

I agree. All the busybodies can go pound sand or mind their own business and take a long look in the mirror at their own faults. I can't imagine anything more boring than exercise. I wouldn't do it if you paid me.

December 29, 2013 at 3:27 am |