Charles Saatchi, the millionaire ex-husband of celebrity chef Nigella Lawson, said Friday he believed his ex-wife had taken drugs but had no evidence of it, as he testified at the trial of two former assistants accused of fraud.
The former assistants, Italian sisters Francesca and Elisabetta Grillo, deny embezzling hundreds of thousands of pounds on company credit cards.
Allegations of drug use by Lawson were made in a pre-trial hearing for the case earlier this week, when an e-mail sent by Saatchi to Lawson in October was read out by the defense.
Giving evidence Friday in the west London court, Saatchi said he was "bereft" that the e-mail - in which he said he "believed" what the sisters claimed about Lawson's drug use - had been made public.
He said he never saw his wife taking drugs during their 10-year marriage and that he had no hard evidence she had done so.
But he testified that the accusation "sounded pretty compelling to me."
More celebrity chef news
Next entry »Coffee klatsch
« Previous entryNigella Lawson's ex-husband Charles Saatchi takes the stand