October 30th, 2013

Update, April 10: The Los Angeles Times reports that the Irwindale City Council voted unanimously to declare the odor from Sriracha hot sauce production to be a public nuisance. The company has been given 90 days to correct the issue.

One man's hot sauce is another man's hell.

The city of Irwindale, California has filed a lawsuit asking for Huy Fong Foods to cease production of its iconic Sriracha sauce after residents complained that smells emanating from the factory have caused them physical harm and driven them from their homes.

While Huy Fong is not the originator of Sriracha, the company's distinctive green-topped, rooster-bedecked rendition of the Thai chili sauce has become a staple on mainstream grocery store shelves, professional kitchen lines, restaurant tables and cafeteria condiment stands since the company's CEO and founder, David Tran, fired up U.S. production in 1983.

Consumer devotion to the brand burns deeply enough to have inspired two cookbooks ("The Sriracha Cookbook" and "The Veggie-Lover's Sriracha Cookbook"), a limited-edition flavor of Lay's potato chips, embroidery, jewelry other art projects.

A Kickstarter for a documentary on Sriracha exceeded its $5000 goal by over $16,000, web humorist Matthew Inman of The Oatmeal wrote and illustrated an ode to his beloved condiment (shared on Facebook by over 300,000 people), and YouTube veritably sizzles with songs, reviews, skits and odes to "rooster sauce."

But the pepper sauce that kindles such adoration in its fans is reportedly scorching the olfactory systems of the factory's neighbors. According to the complaint filed with Los Angeles Superior Court by the city of Irwindale, the stench of cooking peppers isn't just unpleasant - it's painful.

Watery eyes, stinging throats and headaches are par for the course, say city officials who have been fielding complaints since the Huy Fong factory kicked up its season's pepper production. The company produced 20 million bottles of Sriracha in 2012 (that's $60 million dollars worth of pepper sauce) with no advertising - just the passionate word-of-tingling-mouth passed on by its legions of fans. For most of its lifespan, Huy Fong produced the condiment in a residential area of Rosemead, California with no issues, but moved to Irwindale earlier this year.

All of the peppers (hybrid jalapeños which are blended with vinegar, salt, sugar and garlic) for the year's run of sauce are processed from September to December after the harvest, and that's when the complaints kicked in.

Neighbor Edward Anthony told KCAL, "Every morning it smells like chili powder. It's irritating." At least 30 complaints were received by the city, and officials kicked off an investigation.

Irwindale city manager John Davidson says that inspectors have found the interior of the factory to be fine, but "You go to the exterior, and it's horrible," he told KCAL.

The city's lawsuit would require Huy Fong to cease production until it files a plan to lessen the impact on the community - and that has Sriracha devotees hot under the collar.

"The Days of a Sriracha Black Market Are Approaching" declared a headline in The Atlantic, while social media was ablaze with talk of hoarding, at-home recipes and potential price hikes.

The Oatmeal's Matthew Inman told CNN in an e-mail,

"I personally would relish in the opportunity to live in a neighborhood bathed in rooster sauce. The thought of watching a blood-red sunrise soaked in clouds of red peppers and garlic would pretty much be my ideal morning. I feel like our country is still recovering from the near Twinkie extinction in 2012, and now we get hit with this?

The dinosaurs had their meteorite. We've got our Sriracha shortage. If a Sriracha shortage isn't one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, then I don't know what is. Now is the time to stock your fallout shelters full of tasty rooster juice. The end is nigh."

But before consumers start building armored sauce transport tanks and installing Sriracha kegs in their rec rooms, they should know that engineers are at work on a solution. Adam Holliday, director of operations for Huy Fong Foods told the Los Angeles Times that a consultant suggested a $600,000 cleaning system that would burn the pepper from the air before it breached the factory walls, but it's a "big expense" and the company is in search of its own solution.

On April 10, Irwindale City Council voted unanimously to declare the odor from Sriracha hot sauce production to be a public nuisance. The company has been given 90 days to correct the issue. Perhaps if it doesn't go Huy Fong's way, the company should turn to their fans for a creative end to this burning issue.

Posted by:
Filed under: Big Business • Business and Farming News • Hot • News

1. Partisan

It's a very popular product with liberals because their tastes are so simple and unsophisticated. Conservatives usually have moved well past this sort of thing by the time they reach adulthood.

October 31, 2013 at 9:32 am |
    • Hugh Jass

Aw, did someone's tea party get sent home by the grownups and then there was a tantrum and tears before bedtime? I think maybe that happened to poor little partisan.

October 31, 2013 at 9:45 am |
    • jimi

How in the hell did you turn an article about hot sauce into a political pissing contest??!!

November 1, 2013 at 7:27 am |
  2. Hoarding in Austin

I've purchased 12 bottles to tide me over until they figure this out.

October 31, 2013 at 9:30 am |
  3. Michael

Love Sri Racha, but it is the mildest sauce I use... Prefer Habanero and Bhut Jalokia... Sri racha is just nice with the garlic and not too much cuka/vinegar. It is hot sauce beginning level....

October 31, 2013 at 5:02 am |
    • Tony

Whoa, we got a bad ass over here. Seriously. I like flavor more than heat. I have had all the other ghost pepper sauces and what not, and they are just vinegar that burns. They kill any flavor the food has and just make it hot. Where as condiments like Sririacha and it's kind ADD to the flavor instead of ruining it.

October 31, 2013 at 9:23 am |
  4. Roger James Smith

Reblogged this on Roger James Smith's WordPress.

October 31, 2013 at 12:14 am |
  5. Peter Wexler

There are ways to eliminate smells, like this. Follow how crematoria operate for a design to destroy the carbon and sulfur chains that are irritating the neighbors.

October 30, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

This isn't just smell; it's particulates of burnt pepper in the air. Like being pepper-sprayed very slowly over ten minutes.

October 31, 2013 at 7:57 am |
  6. Sunnachai

It tastes weird for me.

It's totally different from the real Thai's Sriracha sauce and considered not hot at all for me.
    Don't get me wrong, it do tastes interesting cooking certain kind of food.

Anyway, I strongly prefer the real one.

October 30, 2013 at 10:44 pm |
    • Sir Riracha

So where would you find the 'real' stuff in the US, and what would it be labeled? Just interested.

October 31, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
      • A nony Mouse

Asian food markets - there's usually one nearby somewhere.

October 31, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
  7. TheOatmealfanhomeschoolmomof3

My 2 older kids ages 16 and 11 LOVE that stuff, but it really IS so strong that our 4 year can't be at the same table with my older boys when they put it on stuff.
    So I definitely understand and believe it could really be a problem for the local residents near the factory.
    I hope they can get this all worked out quickly. What the heck will I put in my older kids' stockings if there is no Sriracha sauce this Christmas?

October 30, 2013 at 9:49 pm |
    • craig

Rooster sauce doesn't even hit the meter for "medium" heat. If you think it's too hot, then you are the weakest link.

October 30, 2013 at 11:35 pm |
      • Craigsadouche

Shut up Craig; let people enjoy what they like.

October 31, 2013 at 7:28 am |
  8. njudah

I think it's hilarious they printed my Tweet with my Halloween name.

Huy Fong also makes a great chili paste, which I use almost daily, along with sriracha..

October 30, 2013 at 9:46 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

What was your Halloween name? It's an embed, so if you chance it, it probably will alter the feed.

October 30, 2013 at 10:40 pm |
  9. JIGGY

This company happens to be one of the largest if not THE largest employers in L.A. County. Look it up. It's true.
    Shutting it down for a few whiners? Uhhhh...if they tried that during their peak season, then this company should move elsewhere. This is a great success story of a guy who started selling this stuff out of his van and now pretty much everyone is copying them and coming out with their own private label versions but their's is still the best. Great on everything.

October 30, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
    • Paul

Yeah, who cares about a few whiners? Its only their ability to breath in their own homes. Who cares about that? I'll just take some dumps in your refrigerator. You won't whine about it will you?

October 30, 2013 at 9:48 pm |
    • John Boner

They employ more people than the country does? You sure about that?

October 31, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
      • MissN

County, not country

November 2, 2013 at 1:35 am |
  10. Will Yum Vong

These residents are lucky this wasn't a shrimp paste factory.

October 30, 2013 at 9:23 pm |
  11. ally buster

I'm sorry, but if this business has been working in your neighborhood for years, then you need to simply get USED TO IT. As such, while I understand the notion of stink....these people are going to have to "eat" the sriracha!

October 30, 2013 at 9:13 pm |
    • Spiritsoar

" For most of its lifespan, Huy Fong produced the condiment in a residential area of Rosemead, California with no issues, but moved to Irwindale earlier this year."

October 30, 2013 at 9:20 pm |
    • Brie

@ally buster – "For most of its lifespan, Huy Fong produced the condiment in a residential area of Rosemead, California with no issues, but moved to Irwindale earlier this year."

October 30, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
      • Brie

@ally buster – Sorry. The other comment didn't show until after I submitted, and apparently we can't delete.

October 30, 2013 at 9:30 pm |
    • drefromla

you have terrible reading comprehension skills.

October 30, 2013 at 9:33 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

Ah, Magoo, you've done it again!

October 31, 2013 at 9:18 am |
    • WD

I also love Sriracha and use it all the time.
      But try rubbing it onto your face and into your eyes. That is what is happening in my neighborhood and it is not pleasant. This problem is real and a better flume scrubber system needs to be installed before the next harvest begins in September. Our daily afternoon winds blow everything being emitted from the factory directly to our houses.

Most of these residents have lived here for thirty and forty plus years. I have lived here for twenty.
      This factory was just built and went into operation in January of this year. This is the first full harvest production ever at this facility. They already have made almost enough paste made for the coming year and will finish grinding this full harvest season, so rest assured that no shortages will be coming.
      But some changes at the facility defiantly need to occur.

October 31, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
  12. BH

Why not crowdfund to offset the expenses associated with installing the exhaust system? If Sriracha "loyalists" contributed so much for a documentary (per this article), they would certainly pitch in so that everyone wins.

October 30, 2013 at 9:09 pm |
  13. Zoey

It's not hot enough to qualify as hot sauce to me, and I hate vinegar, so... no. Besides, I'm from Louisiana, so if I'm going to use not-hot "hot sauce," I'll use Tobasco or Crystal.

October 30, 2013 at 8:54 pm |
    • Brian P

You don't know hot sauce if you call Crystal's a hot sauce.

October 30, 2013 at 9:25 pm |
      • Zoey

And that is why I called it a "not-hot 'hot sauce'". Thank you for reading.

October 31, 2013 at 1:23 am |
        • Hugh Jass

Ah, Magoo, you've done it again!

October 31, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
    • Kris

You do realize that vinegar is in both the hot sauces you mentioned, right?

October 30, 2013 at 11:46 pm |
      • Zoey

Yes, and I don't particularly like any of them, both because none of the ones I mentioned are hot, and because they're all vinegar-y. I suppose I should've been more explicit in my wording. The point though was that if I had to choose from them, I'd choose the ones from my state.

October 31, 2013 at 1:25 am |
        • Zoey

*are not hot

October 31, 2013 at 1:26 am |
  14. larry

Another firearms mfg. just moved out of NY. I suggest you move also. Let the Democrats live off the land. LOL

October 30, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
    • Mattdaddy

Huh? You read about hot sauce and make vacuous political commentary?

October 30, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

What's the frequency, Larry? did the butterbeans turn left instead of not otherwise? Just alter the fourteenth integer and resend.

October 31, 2013 at 7:59 am |
  15. Unemployed

I am unemployed, living in an area of high unemployment and limited job opportunities. Please move your facility to Chino Valley, AZ. We would love to have the jobs Irwindale does not desire.

October 30, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
  16. darmonx

Move elsewhere and take out California from that bottle label. Cali peeps complain too much.

October 30, 2013 at 7:30 pm |
  17. Mukesh Singh

Instead of Sriracha, give Scorpion Gourmet Hot Sauce a try! Sauce is unbelievable!!! http://www.scorpiongourmet.com

October 30, 2013 at 7:14 pm |
    • Brad

NEVER, HEATHEN SCUM!!!

October 30, 2013 at 7:30 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

I never put anything but ketchup on my scorpions. Kills the taste.

October 31, 2013 at 9:49 am |
  18. GGinNV

Move production to Nevada. Call 800.336.1600, there is a place for you right next door to California.

October 30, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • pennswoodsman

or Detroit. No one would complain and they could use the jobs.

October 30, 2013 at 7:16 pm |
  19. jery2286

Sriracha sauce is more important than these people. They should just move.

October 30, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
  20. Tealiban is antiAmerican

This isn't "hot sauce" at all it's VERY mild. Dave's Insanity sauce has a much better flavor and is actually a hot sauce. If it isn't made with scotch bonnets, habaneros, or tezpur/ghost chili peppers, then it's not hot.

October 30, 2013 at 6:56 pm |
    • csiko

I'm with you. Sriracha is okay for what it is, but spicy/hot is not one of them.

October 30, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
    • Ash

Well for us mortals Sriracha is awesome so shush :P

October 30, 2013 at 7:23 pm |
    • chewie402

oooo, is this the part where everybody goes to have a tool-size contest about how hot they like their hot-sauce? Awesome...I was worried one of these threads wasn't going to show up.

October 30, 2013 at 8:37 pm |
      • briskmojo

I was worried too, glad to know there are plenty of tools left on the planet

October 30, 2013 at 10:30 pm |
    • kira

You're right, sriracha isn't super hot, but what's the point of those overly hot sauces other than for you to brag about how you can take it? All it does is burn your mouth.There is no flavor. Sriracha not only has a good amount of spicy, but with it comes a good slightly sweet, garlicky, salty flavor. Something all your dime a dozen hot sauces lack.

October 31, 2013 at 12:12 am |
      • Tealiban is antiAmerican

If you read my comment, I said that I like the FLAVOR of Dave's Insanity, not just the heat. It isn't vinegary or sweet, it has a more robust smoky, peppery, and hearty flavor that the dozens of other sauces I've tried, don't have. It's definitely a GOURMET taste and I use it on or in just about everything that requires some spiciness. To make a blanket statement that genuinely HOT sauces have no flavor and only burn your mouth sounds like something that someone who hasn't used many of them would say, definitely not someone who uses Dave's.

October 31, 2013 at 6:09 am |
  21. fish@off.com

Too bad we do not complain when people dump thousands of gallons of toxic waste in our drinking water...then we would have a judge rule people clean that up as well...

October 30, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
  22. dvldawg718

Boy, if they advertised all other hot sauces would be killed. BY FAR the best hot sauce in the world

October 30, 2013 at 6:50 pm |
  23. edwin

I bet no one in that neighborhood suffers from congested sinuses.

October 30, 2013 at 6:38 pm |
  24. veganvirginia

Have you tried Sky Valley's Sriracha Sauce? It's delicious! Plus no sulfites or preservatives. Find it at Whole Foods. http://organicvillefoods.com/products/condiments/sriracha-sauce/

October 30, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
    • Rob

Its especially delicious on pig, cow, bird, fish, lamb, deer, and the like; am I right, Virginia?

October 30, 2013 at 6:08 pm |
      • Dave Hummell

Rob If it would let me like this comment, I surely would!

October 30, 2013 at 6:31 pm |
        • Truth™@Dave Hummell

Dave's not here...

October 31, 2013 at 12:16 pm |
      • Mish

LIKE!

October 30, 2013 at 11:16 pm |
    • meateatermasculanist

I stopped reading at vegan... I bet they said something vegany

October 30, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
      • lovethyneighbor

classy aren't we

October 30, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
      • Cowboy

What's a "Vegan"? Sounds like a long car made of juicy, dripping, medium rare BEEF.

October 30, 2013 at 9:32 pm |
    • avojen

Yes – it's great! Tastes pretty much the same as the original Sriracha..
      Rob, Dave & meateatermasculanist : why do people like you commonly show such hostility towards people that prefer not to eat animals or animals products? veganvirginia was only suggesting a similar product that tastes very good. Are you familiar with the product she suggests and are offended that it notes that it's 'vegan' meaning it doesn't have fish sauce in it OR do you just find humor in being hostile towards this particular poster because of her username?

October 30, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
      • Hugh Jass

They've probably heard "meat is murder" and "look at those big brown eyes" one time too many. Vegans would be better neighbors if they didn't so much love to tell us how to eat. Why is it ok for them to tell us what to eat, and not for us to tell them? Especially since we outnumber them?

October 31, 2013 at 1:46 pm |
        • avojen

My husband and I have been vegans going on 10 years now. I've never told anyone how to eat w/o 1st being questioned. Certainly people have asked us at various times/functions why we choose to eat the way we do and then I give our reasons. Since you've initiated conversation with me I'll ask you – do you not have any empathy for animal suffering? I do so I equate meat and other animal products with animal suffering and have completely lost the desire to eat those things. I love to eat and cook and bake. Not eating animal products does not mean you can't enjoy delicious food any longer. I'm sure that a large population of people (not all) would begin to change their eating habits in some way if they sat and watched the plethora of video available that shows the horrific existence, treatment and death of animals that they commonly eat. People have been shielded from what goes on in factory farms. Lots of people that claim they love animals (and I mean animals that are alive, not wrapped in cellophane or on your grill) say they don't want to know what really goes on because they’re afraid it would make them have to think about what they're eating.

October 31, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
        • Hugh Jass

" I'm sure that a large population of people (not all) would begin to change their eating habits in some way if they sat and watched the plethora of video available that shows the horrific existence, treatment and death of animals"

And there it is. From up on your moral high ground of perfect correctness, you swoop down to admonish me and tell me how to live. You force yourself to live on bean curd so that you can feel this fine surge of indignation at us evil animal-eating monsters. How about if I make you watch weeks of video about how insufferable food-faddists can be?

October 31, 2013 at 4:06 pm |
        • avojen

Why don't you just say that you don't give a dang about animal suffering and be done with it. My moral high ground is having empathy and compassion for all living beings. Is that really a terrible way to live in your eyes? I detest the fact that millions of animals endure terrible lives and deaths in order for people to eat and it's completely unnecessary. I eat lots of food (Indian, Italian, Mexican, Thai, soup & stews, casseroles, pastas, sandwiches and, yes, giant multi-layered salads. For the record I use very little bean curd/tofu. I have a huge drawer of recipes and files filled with delicious recipes on my computer. For me a burger, steak or chicken breast equals animal misery. So you’re equating the pain of being dragged by your ear or poked in the eye with a cattle prod because your too weak and ill to walk to slaughter or being hung upside down from one leg while having your throat slit to bleed out with the horror of "How about if I make you watch weeks of video about how insufferable food-faddists can be?". Wow....That does really sound like h*ll.

October 31, 2013 at 5:51 pm |
  25. daeh ttub

Install an exhaust/pollution filtration system. Simple fix. It might add a few pennies to the cost of each bottle but given how popular this stuff is, I cannot see this being an issue. Heck, the recovered hot stuff from the exhaust could be put back in the product!

October 30, 2013 at 5:52 pm |
  26. Gerard Ells

I love my Sriracha in my bowl of Pho, it makes me feel good and raring to go.

October 30, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
  27. Dave

I go through this stuff about 10x faster than Ketchup....

October 30, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
    • Rob

I don't even buy ketchup anymore with this stuff in the fridge.

October 30, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
  28. WHAT!

Best hot sauce ever! I put this stuff on almost everything.

October 30, 2013 at 5:38 pm |
  29. RECT

I really love sriracha no matter the burns my sphincter receives! <3
    Keep politics out of hot sauce!

October 30, 2013 at 5:27 pm |
  30. Stop Whining

Stupid SoCal liberals can't even sit in their ow homes without finding something to whine about. The factory should offer free cheese at the gates to placate the crybabies that are unhappy about anything that upsets their sensibilities.

October 30, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • exgovemployee@gmail.com

Stupid keyboard cowboys love to run their mouths when they don't know what they're talking about. The fumes from this place are because of the capsaicin in the peppers. The odor is basically a somewhat weaker version of pepper spray. I'm sure that you're man enough to put up with that all day long, every day. Not!

October 30, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
      • Rob

You both sound like whiny little fat girls who didn't get enough cotton candy at the fair

October 30, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
      • Jennifer

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the guy has been doing it since the 1980's – if the people don't like it – don't move there! Why should he have to install an exhaust system for a bunch of jerks who should have realized that moving near a pepper processing plant will smell like peppers (i know it seems crazy to expect peppers to smell like peppers...)? Besides, isn't it only like 1500 people live in that area (mostly industrial)... It's like people who move near an airport get pissed about hearing the planes... DUH people!

October 30, 2013 at 6:37 pm |
        • Kenny

This particular factory opened only two years ago. It appears the residents were here first.

October 30, 2013 at 7:30 pm |
        • Brian P

And how did a commercial factory get built next to residential homes? Don't they have zoning ordinances in that town?

October 30, 2013 at 9:27 pm |
        • Nick

He moved the factory within the last 2 years but Irwindale is an industrial area. Only about 2000 residential lots.

October 31, 2013 at 12:14 am |
    • Retarlicunts

You are whining now biatch!

October 30, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
      • Retarlicu nts

Stop your whining Con!

October 30, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

Read the article. Too much actual pepper in the form of tiny particles is getting through the system. It gets in their eyes and noses. It isn't the smell, but actual pepper in their eyes that they are complaining about. See it now?

October 31, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
  31. are122

Been using this sauce for years and really like it. But since this plant was recently built it seems like very poor planning by someone.

October 30, 2013 at 4:52 pm |
  32. akahn

I wouldn't consider Siracha a hot sauce. It's just a condiment in the same category as ketchup and Tabasco sauce which is also far from being actually hot. If anything, it's a very mild hot sauce at the lowest levels of the scale. Ok flavor, but I hate when I ask for the hottest sauce a restaurant has and this is what they give me...

October 30, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
    • SSampson

Agreed – it is basically Chinese Ketchup....or so many people call it – hehe

I use it regularly to add a bit of flavor and heat – but it isn't on my list of hot sauces in general...

Of course it isn't 'cool' either...

October 30, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
      • flomann

Sriracha is Thai not Chinese

October 30, 2013 at 5:41 pm |
    • Prolix

it's common to forget that capsaicin, the ingredient in peppers that makes it spicy, is a rather potent allergen and mucus membrane irritant. Whine all you want, but if your business endangers the health of others, you need to make changes.

October 30, 2013 at 4:57 pm |
      • Ashley

I'm very allergic to capsaicin. Jalapenos cause my throat to close. I think it's really easy to forget that even people who aren't allergic have problems. I kind of want to ask some of these people who say "what whiners!" you know, ever chop a pepper and then touch basically anything else on the body? It stings. My capsaicin allergy only really started like 6-7 years ago, but before I was allergic, I'd forget to wash my hands and rub my eye or go to the bathroom. Couldn't imagine living in an area like that...

October 30, 2013 at 6:10 pm |
  33. Tom

Have to put the toilet paper in the freezer after eating this stuff

October 30, 2013 at 4:13 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I lol'd

October 30, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
    • are122

LOL! Good comment!

October 30, 2013 at 4:53 pm |
  34. Dave

Seriously, if you have not been to Irwindale you don't understand. For a smell in that town to bother neighbors it has to be something truly bad. They already have Onyx Environmental and the Miller plant, plus a bunch of other industrial areas. It's like someone drove through and said, "MAN is this place ugly! Perfect for an industrial facility"

October 30, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Dave's Not Here

October 30, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
    • Sum guy

Nothing to do in Irwindale but watch the rocks move.

October 30, 2013 at 6:00 pm |
  35. Chip Stock

Huy Fong can and should move to Austin. Please.

October 30, 2013 at 4:06 pm |
    • Dave

The Pace guys would get a rope.

October 30, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
      • Knucklehead McKnob

I went to school with the guy who yells "New York City!" He was also on a tv show.

October 30, 2013 at 4:55 pm |
      • MikekyZ

At least they didn't come from New York City.

October 30, 2013 at 5:43 pm |
        • Pace Guys

New York City?!?!?!

October 30, 2013 at 5:50 pm |
  36. Brl

How many people do you know, who complain about, or were "driven from their homes" because of a brewery nearby? None, because beer is perfectly acceptable. (I've lived near one, I could not stand the smell of rotting barley.)

October 30, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
  37. Josh

Wait until the neighbors find out that it prevents Shingles (herpes zoster).

October 30, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
  38. Serge Franco

Irwindale is an Industrial City.Its meant for business owners. Don't like it move!!!

October 30, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
  39. Josh

Why did the factory move to a location where its neighbors don't want it?

October 30, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
    • kaitlyn

Really Josh? I highly doubt that the delicate sensibilities of the neighborhood was part of the decision making they probably moved because there production increased

October 30, 2013 at 4:16 pm |
  40. Big nuggets

Anybody posting here that likes the sauce can KMA!

October 30, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
    • amniculi

Which acre?

October 30, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I'll have to remember that one.

October 30, 2013 at 4:40 pm |
    • Richard Simmons

You little romantic!

October 30, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
  41. steve

they should consider using the waste gasses as a fracking compound or otherwise sequester it underground....
    except that it would probably chew through limestone like battery acid
    bottle it under pressure and sell it to use on unruly college students at peaceful sit-ins

October 30, 2013 at 3:46 pm |
    • Fr33th1nk3r

Would be much funnier to introduce this stuff into the ventilation system at the RNC.

October 30, 2013 at 4:38 pm |
      • Stop Whining

Fuuny, I was thinking it'd be best used to evict the squatters in the White House.

October 30, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
    • Pv2

Use it as an interrogation technique in Gitmo

October 30, 2013 at 10:46 pm |
  42. Spree

Why do they have to make it near a neighborhood? it is like the place in Fla "they want to raise Hogs near a neighborhood"- both the sauce and the hogs smell the same.......

i would not want to walk outside and it be like i have my nose in a bottle of hot sauce. let the people who posted here that admit they would WANT to live and smell this 24-7 move there. "then they cry".

October 30, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
    • Knucklehead McKnob

They should send the factory to be next door to a hog factory. Mmm, peppered bacon.

October 30, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
    • Billy Bob

Those must be some spicy smelling hogs.

October 30, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
    • kaitlyn

People live everywhere and plenty of people cant afford to choose better neighborhoods

October 30, 2013 at 4:18 pm |
    • Joseph Osborne

The factory is in Irwindale, the city was built to be an industrial zone, then after it was built people built neighborhoods near the factories and warehouses so they could commute to work quicker. The 2010 census reports a population of 1,422 residents in the whole city, the rest of the town is mostly factories and rock quarries.

The Sriracha plant may have just moved there, but these people chose to buy houses very close to an industrial district then complain about the environment. They got what was coming to them for buying right next to a major industrial district.

October 30, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
      • Person

The city was incorporated for the residents...not built for industrial reasons.The businesses came after as a means to bring money to the city.

October 30, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
        • WD

Exactly

October 31, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
  43. agentxyz

Hurts going in and hurts coming out.

October 30, 2013 at 3:36 pm |
    • Partisan

Sounds like ObamaCare!

October 30, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
      • Knucklehead McKnob

Everything reminds you of Obamacare. You need to settle down.

October 30, 2013 at 4:57 pm |
  44. Mr. Pickle Pants

October 30, 2013 at 3:33 pm |
  45. jane

Does anyone else think it's laughable that Huy Fong Foods produces $60 million in sauce each year and cannot afford the $600,000 fix that will prevent spending many thousands on lawsuits?

October 30, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
    • Burbank

Penny wise, pound foolish? Actually this "cutesy" article is not cute at all. The fumes from Jalapenos can burn your brohchial tubes and sinuses. There's nothing funny about living next door to a hazard like that, especially if you have respiratory problems. I don't blame those people for complaining and wanting to sue them at all. P.S. I'm not against hot food, I like it very much, but I know what Jalapenos can do from cooking with them.

October 30, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
      • Hugh Jass

Pro Tip: Never wipe your eye while chopping canned jalapeños unless you have 911 on speed-dial.

October 30, 2013 at 3:39 pm |
        • amniculi

Fresh ones are even worse. Don't use the bathroom afterwards without washing either.

October 30, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
      • kaitlyn

Seriously? Jalapenos? are a mild pepper, maybe if they were making Trinidad Scorpion sauce but freaking Jalapenos?

October 30, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
        • Bob Norton

They used to only use sun-dried Serranos and it tasted better then. However, you need to taste some of the ripe Jalapeños from my garden this year if you think that they're ALL wimpy peppers. Even my Fresnos approach the heat of Habaneros from other, less favorable, climates.

October 30, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
    • Tom

Please tell me that you understand that just because they produce $60 mill in sauce doesn't mean that they make $60 mill in profits? $600K sounds like a large expense for an air scrubber that only gets used 3 months a year.

October 30, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
      • Josh

Good point.

October 30, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
      • Stop Whining

They're liberals and clueless about business, business expenses, amortizing those costs while trying not to simply raise prices to reflect the added expense. That scrubber will not be free to run and will not be free to maintain. Further in a restaurant setting, the when their costs go up, they have to either eat that loss or raise their prices, which in most cases means having new menus created and printed, sealed in plastic or whatever. This $600,000 investment will cost more to run and maintain and could ultimately cause prices to rise in thousands of businesses across the country. Pennies matter.

October 30, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
        • Bob Norton

Yeah, they're so clueless about business that they're soon going to be the number one hot sauce manufacturer in North America. Obviously not as smart as Teapublicans.

October 30, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
      • Brian P

They are just tying to get the city to pay for the filtration system. They are the ones that allowed this factory to be built next to a residential zoned area.

October 30, 2013 at 9:31 pm |
  46. Partisan

Actually, this company was a major Obama supporter, so that alone makes me avoid their product.

October 30, 2013 at 3:26 pm |
    • Sriracha Factory

You shut pie hole. Mormon no put rooster sauce on food. What we gonna do, huh.

October 30, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
    • amniculi

Shut your face you blathering idiot. I'm not an Obama fan, but why does everything have to be politicized? You're part of the problem, not the solution.

October 30, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
    • Fr33th1nk3r

Republicans would boycott their own Bible if Obama endorsed it publicly.

October 30, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
  47. Dr. Phil

If you like this product, then you have the palate of a goat.

October 30, 2013 at 3:19 pm |
    • Mr. Pickle Pants

(makes goat sounds)

October 30, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
    • amniculi

Ooh, I bet Sriracha is really good on goat...

October 30, 2013 at 3:35 pm |
      • Bob Norton

It is.

October 30, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
    • Sriracha Factory

Goat palate is not only ingredient. Also use prawn shell and extract of green garden hose.

October 30, 2013 at 3:36 pm |
    • BobPitt

Dr. Phill have you been kissing the goat? is the only way to know how it taste..

October 30, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
  48. jonnycakes23

I love it but my sphincter sure doesn't!

October 30, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

The "burning ring of fire" effect?

October 30, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
    • Really?

Yes, but enough about your uncle...

October 30, 2013 at 3:50 pm |
    • BaltoPaul

You're supposed to eat it.

October 30, 2013 at 4:04 pm |
      • amniculi

Well played, sir.

October 30, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
    • Bob Norton

It's not THAT hot. You must have a paper a-hole.

October 30, 2013 at 5:06 pm |
  49. Brickell Princess

Americans have no clue what good food taste like. You people think that salt and pepper are the only spices on the planet and that BBQ should be rubbed with sugar. How disgusting. How limited. Then the minute that you clowns are introduced to something new, ie avocados, you put it on everything not even knowing how or with what it should be eaten. You are such boring people.

October 30, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
    • nightwriter

Wow, way to overgeneralize. There are a lot of fantastic restaurant and food innovations that were invented in America which are copied around the world. You only see the boring stuff because it fits the way to want to view Americans. Try for some perspective next time.

October 30, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
    • weezus

i agree that most people are boring, but when you said "eat avaocados on everything without knowing what they go on" your statement hit kind of a hypocritical reversal. isnt food experimentation the height of culinary adventure and the opposite of boring? does everything we eat have to have a set guideline?

October 30, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
    • i12bphil

Well, thanks for the blanket statement and stereotyping. Proof that you don't have clue ONE of what you're talking about.

October 30, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
    • Leon

Notice she is on CNN.com, reading about Americans.
      Can I tell you to go home on the internet?

October 30, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
    • rrosetta

That is hilarious – since I can get any food from anywhere in the world in my town. Even Jamaican. Such statements are completely ridiculous considering that the US is made up of every ethnic group on this planet – and when people immgrate come here, they bring their foods with them.

October 30, 2013 at 3:22 pm |
    • Bobby

Well, thank goodness we have such cultured, world traveling non-Americans like yourself to remind us just how boring and narrow minded of a people we are. Here's a great idea for an avacado: stick it up your ass.

October 30, 2013 at 3:23 pm |
      • ^This guy :D

Bahahahha :D Thats one thing I dont think avacado goes well with ;)

October 30, 2013 at 5:10 pm |
    • dudeguy

first off "Princess", you should reign in your indignant sanctimony. I don't know (or care) where you're from, what you eat or how you eat it. As for avocados, We Americans have been eating them for a long time. Please list the things you find offensive for avocado consumption so I can post pics of me eating them. Hopefully horrify you into a silent coma. Or at least cause you some kind of self righteous seizure.

October 30, 2013 at 3:23 pm |
    • Bob

Non-Americans think they know everything about this country, based on what they see on TV and read on the Internet. The United States probably has a greater diversity of foods and flavors than any other country on Earth. You go on and be stuck with your boring, rigid ideas about how foods (i.e. avocados) can and can't be eaten. We Americans will continue to experiment and come up with new and interesting flavor combinations.

October 30, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
      • Bob Norton

If you think Americans have the most diverse foods and flavors, I suspect you've never been out of the country. Our produce, in particular, consists of a few tasteless varieties that ship and store well. You should wander through a Vietnamese market IN VIET NAM or through the market in Barcelona before making such a silly, jingoistic statement.

October 30, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
        • fromthere2

You can go to major supermarket in both those countries you've mentioned an get just as boring food there. Can't compare a market to a grocery in the US. Compare a market to a market and if you are getting real locally grown in season produce you are getting some high quality, tasty food. You just need to know where to go. I've lived in Spain for a period of time and you can go to Corte Ingles which I think is on par with Safeway. Vietnam, haven't been, but I have been to other countries in SE Asia and yes they have some interesting fresh stuff there, but again you can go to an Asian grocery here and get some of the same foods.

October 30, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
    • AJ

If you hate Americans, then why are you reading stories about American cities in a country I assume you don't live it. If you do live in this great country then WHY are you here? Leave! This was an article about a city having issues with a manufacturing company, not what you think is wrong with Americans. A******

October 30, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
    • Tom D

Go back to your own country then Princess.

October 30, 2013 at 3:30 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

"You are such boring people." You aren't exactly coming across as interesting yourself. What do you do, sit around all day judging people on the internet? I'm going to just assume that you also raise baby opossums in your belly button, just so you don't seem so boring from now on.

October 30, 2013 at 3:34 pm |
    • Spree

Americans do have good taste?? really? our country is based off stinky selves immigrants and they bring in diff foods. Sorry we dont want to walk out our house and start sneezing, coughing, etc. stay in your shanty town and keep your comments. Brickle

October 30, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
    • Greg

So if the Americns are so boring with food, and you have implied everyone< and you dont like our food. Then leave!!!

October 30, 2013 at 4:01 pm |
    • samhigbie

"Everyone look at me. I'm so controversial!"

October 30, 2013 at 4:25 pm |
    • ama01

Wow. Grumpy much? The article is about the smell of the factory, not the taste of the condiment.

October 30, 2013 at 4:34 pm |
    • fromthere2

The Princess I'll bet lives in the US and has been complaining about the people here since her arrival. Or she is an self loathing apologist who gets a kick out of trolling. I'll also wager she is from Miami, judging by her name, and if so her experience are very limited, at least to run of the mill Latin American cuisine, which outside of Mexican and Peruvian can be a little bland if eaten regularly.

October 30, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
    • MoodyMoody

Obvious troll is obvious.

October 30, 2013 at 7:20 pm |
  50. Everyone in Irwindale

""Physical harm"? No, some discomfort perhaps." It's the same thing as pepper spray: capsaicin. Instead of a spray, it collects over five minutes. Pour some of the sauce in your eye or nose and see how you like it.

October 30, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
    • Turp Griswald

Actually, capsaicin is not very volatile. The aroma you small is likely other chemicals that are present in the peppers.

October 30, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
      • Hugh Jass

Probably a lot of fine particles of pepper getting through since they want a system to scrub the air.

October 30, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
    • Bob Norton

Capsaicin is a stable crystalline compound. You have to dissolve it in a solvent to use it as a weapon. Based on my experiences in New Iberia, I'd say that you're mostly smelling the vinegar.

October 30, 2013 at 5:40 pm |