August 12th, 2013

John Fricke is a CNN Assignment Editor. He cares deeply about pizza. Pies pictured above are from Oakland and Hollywood, California, and Denver, Colorado. They look delicious, right? Their cities didn't make the list, but they're a few of the best new pizza places around the country.

If say to you, "Name the best city for pizza in America," your answer will, of course, be "San Diego." Wait, what?

The world's largest travel website TripAdvisor.com recently released its new list of "Top 10 Cities for Pizza" in the United States. Tripadvisor bills itself as offering "the world's most trusted travel advice," but just how trusted the travel giant will be after publishing this list may be up for debate.

The elite group includes towns better known for dishes like fish tacos, cheesesteak sandwiches and even 99-cent shrimp cocktails than they are for the beloved, cheesy, saucy pie.

Yes, the Big Apple got a slice of the action, coming in at number four. The never-ending debate between New York thinly-sliced newspaper with sauce against Chicago's luscious loaded paradise of a pie (was that an editorial on my part?) is always entertaining to witness. What's not is a debate over whether San Diego's slices top that of Las Vegas - which they did, barely.

I cannot say I have ever heard someone suggest: "Let's jump on a jet to Vegas! Pizza baby!" Despite my love of pizza, whenever I hit the buffet line on a marquee joint on the Vegas Strip I usually am not beelining for something I can find on any street corner in any city, anywhere.

These rankings were based on reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travelers. Top spots were determined based on the highest average rating by city for all restaurants that serve pizza. This doesn't mean that you, the pizza-loving reader, have to fold over and agree - oh no indeed.

In the comments below, shout out your favorite pizza place and the city in which it exists, and a loving description of the best pie or slice. Get as passionate and poetic as you'd like, and we'll share the best responses in an upcoming feature.

TripAdvisor's 2013 Top 10 Cities for Pizza

1. San Diego, California
2. Las Vegas, Nevada
3. Boston, Massachusetts
4. New York City, New York
5. Seattle, Washington
6. Austin, Texas
7. San Francisco, California
8. Indianapolis, Indiana
9. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10. Phoenix, Arizona

Previously:
Best new pizza places across the U.S.
How to grill pizza
Crazy pizzas from around the country
Provel and pizza - a St. Louis tradition

Posted by:
Filed under: Pizza

1. Mark

No Chicago? Trip Advisor has just lost all credibility.

August 13, 2013 at 10:41 am |
    • ed dugan

There is no such thing as a good pizza. Garbage, piled upon garbage piled upon garbage. Such crap!

August 13, 2013 at 11:16 am |
  2. nickyschupak

New York. The answer for spots 1-10 is New York. It's in the water, it's in the blood, it's the concrete, it's in the variety and the tradition. There is one answer for where you go in the United States of America to get pizza and that is in New York City and that is that. The rest are simply palette cleansers at best.

August 13, 2013 at 10:39 am |
    • Bill

NY pizza is a greasy hot circle of garbage.

August 13, 2013 at 11:44 am |
  3. JGN

Good pizza, traditional pizza, does not consist of dough. Which may be why 'deep dish pizza' is not getting top billing. The incredible thin crust breads, artisan cheeses and fresh local ingredients you get in Italy and southern France have made their way to the US gradually and we're glad of it.
    My favorite pizza? Bakery Nouveau goat cheese (with a touch of smoked gouda) in West Seattle, by far. But then he DID win the world cup for baking, so that might explain why he's so damn good at pizza as well. Willing to try San Diego and Vegas, why not?

August 13, 2013 at 10:26 am |
    • FrmerMarine

Bakery Nouveau? Smoked Gouda? Seattle? Only a West Coaster would fail to know the difference between pretension and taste.

August 13, 2013 at 8:48 pm |
  4. Matt

This article is a joke. Leaving Chicago out of the top 10 is absurd.

August 13, 2013 at 10:14 am |
    • Mark

Agree 100%.

August 13, 2013 at 10:41 am |
  5. Tom

BEST pizza without a doubt Star Tavern in Orange, NJ

August 13, 2013 at 9:58 am |
  6. salome

Pizzino"s warringtion ave pgh pa

August 13, 2013 at 9:14 am |
    • Tom

Ever been to Buffalo, NY? La Nova's Pizzeria is the largest independtly owned pizzeria in the US and has been for years. They ship anywhere in the country and across the globe if you are so inclined. The secret to pizza in Buffalo is the cup and char pepperoni that you cannot find in other cities. You see cup and char pepperoni gets nice and charred around the ring and holds in the delicious fat while it cooks. Buffalo is of course home to the chicken wing, which we all know is the perfect compliment to a cheese and pepperoni sheet pizza from either La Nova's, Just Pizza, Mister Pizza, Bocce Club, etc. BTW, there are only a few acceptable flavors for chicken wings. Those being hot, medium, mild, or BBQ. No thai chili, garlic, mustard or other BS allowed!!! Also, no Ranch dressing with wings, only chunky bleu cheese! National pizza chains do no exist in downtown Buffalo because they can't handle the competition from the local guys. If you want good pizza and an unpretentious town come to Buffalo. California??? No one wants a vegan pizza, please.

August 13, 2013 at 9:35 am |
      • UBBull

Just Pizza's Three cheese steak pizza is legit!! Born and raised in NYC went to UB for undergrad and I fell in love. La Nova's pizza and wings hands down the BEST

August 13, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
  7. William

Don't forget the brick oven pizza in New Haven,CT! Lou Malnati's in Chicago for the deep dish variety.

August 13, 2013 at 9:09 am |
    • boatvolt

Born and raised in NYC, but have to agree Pepe's or Sally's in New Haven is the best I've had.

August 13, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
  8. SunnyDee

2 places:
    Guido's Down Under in Vale, CO
    Volcano in Elkhart, IN

August 13, 2013 at 8:52 am |
    • Mike McDonalds

colorado has terrible pizza, the altitude doesnt allow for great baking of anything, at least not compared to sea level

August 13, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
    • MJC

My wife is from Elkhart and raves about Volcano's pizza too. Best pizza in the 60's.

August 14, 2013 at 10:04 am |
      • SunnyDee

Tell your wife that it is still just as good as it was in the '60s.

August 15, 2013 at 9:27 am |
  9. Tracy

How is it that no one tried the pizza on Long Island- Nassau County has a huge Sicilian population and makes THE pizza pizza anywhere. NYC is second to that area for sure, but not fourth on this crazy list. Silly.

August 13, 2013 at 8:44 am |
  10. Chris

Chicago. Tried and true. Looks like this list of so-called best pizzas should read, "Best Pizza for People Who Don't Care About Truly Good Pizza" Leaving out Chicago makes this list lose all credibility.

August 13, 2013 at 8:33 am |
    • SammyZ

That's like asking what are the greatests rivalries in Football, and not listing Bears v Packers.

August 13, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
  11. Ogie

California? LOL. Sorry, but guitarken has it right. New York/New Jersey/Chicago. By the way, the tomato paste on dough they dish out at Uno, Pizza Hut, Domino's and Pappa John's, not pizza.

August 13, 2013 at 6:08 am |
  12. jg

sawmill pizza seaside height NJ

August 13, 2013 at 5:54 am |
    • RAK

I'm with you brother. Live in Nebraska now, born raised in NJ. Always visit Sawmill when in town. Is it up and running again after Sandy?

August 13, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
  13. Michelle

I'm glad I was born and raised in New Jersey , so I know what a real good slice of pizza is :) Yum

August 13, 2013 at 4:20 am |
    • Valerie

Hahaha! Right on Michelle! I am in Chicago and I am here to say this list is not complete by any stretch of the word! ; )

August 13, 2013 at 8:34 am |
  14. Ben

I've had what was proclaimed (by local friends) as the best deep dish in Chicago, Giordano's. I have never had deep dish I liked, and I thought it was amazing. I had a 16 hour layover in New York and ate a slices from 4 different places, all of which I enjoyed thoroughly.
    The only place I feel I can comment on with actual authority is San Diego. I lived there for 28 years, and have eaten at many pizza places. It is similar to New York in that it collects people from all over the world, and as such, has small communities and amazing restaurants for each.
    But I digress, let me get to the point. If you're looking for great pizza in San Diego, you've gotta try Lefty's on 30th and Myrtle in north park, Pizza Zia on 31st and Adam's (this is some amazing New York style pizza with a Mediterranean flair), Bronx Pizza on Washington and 1st, and my personal favorite Milo's on El Cajon blvd and Montezuma.
    Of course I have a sense of pride in my city and the amazing foods available, but I admit that I personally have a difficult time saying one is better than the other. It all comes down to personal preference.

August 13, 2013 at 3:47 am |
    • Michael

Pizza Zia 32nd & Adams just down the street from some of Normal Heights greatest bars

August 13, 2013 at 3:50 am |
    • Michael

Ben by the way I am from Chicago, and Lefty's is a horrible wanna be version of Chicago Pizza. I am from Chicago that is the worst take on Chicago Deep Dish in the world.

August 13, 2013 at 3:54 am |
      • Lanny Budd

Hands down, Pequad's pizza in Chicago is the best pizza you can get!

August 13, 2013 at 7:54 am |
    • kim

I agree. I've had Lou Malnati's, Giordano's and a couple places in NYC. San Diego has damn good pizza. Bronx pizza, guys are from the Bronx and it's not lacking in any way. Luigi's is also good and I like Lefty's much better than either of the "real Chicago" joints I've been to. More unconventional would be Zia's, but I think it's also amazing. Pizza port doesn't fit the classic NYC or Chicago bill, but is awesome pizza. Don't knock it 'til you try it!

August 13, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
    • FrmerMarine

Real Chicagoans don't eat deep dish. This crispy crust, three dimensional toppings, cheese slightly browned on top. Go to Father and Son or Ria's, or a tone of others. Deep dish was a Rush Street marketing ploy for tourists and suburbanites.

August 13, 2013 at 8:52 pm |
  15. Michael

I am sorry Chicago.... I am born and raised on the North Side of Chicago and Lou's was always my fav. However i moved to San Diego in 2008 , and I hate to say it Newport Pizza & Ale house IS THE BOMB! It is located in Ocean Beach just down the block from the WAY OVERRATED HO DADS.......BOMB PIZZA GREAT CRAFT BREW!

August 13, 2013 at 3:47 am |
  16. Joey

"The top list does not the word "Chicago," no matter how deep into the dish you dig."

Does not the word Chicago?

August 13, 2013 at 3:05 am |
    • catsnake

you are pure genius

August 13, 2013 at 3:33 am |
  17. Stephen

Not even people in San Diego believe this TripAdvisor story. Read the local comments for yourself>>>>>>

August 13, 2013 at 2:53 am |
  18. Adrian

Come on! It's obviously New York, then Chicago, then somewhere in Jersey, then Boston. This is just ludicrous. There was something wrong with their methodology.

August 13, 2013 at 2:45 am |
    • Adrian

And Connecticut also has some great pizza places.

August 13, 2013 at 2:47 am |
    • Michelle

I am glad to see so many people shouting out NJ ! Before I could even get to it . Yes NY/NJ pizza pizza !!!

August 13, 2013 at 4:11 am |
  19. Mike

San Diego.... I think your confusing tacos and pizza. Been to nearly all the cities on that list. I wouldnt even have San Diego on the top 10. Pizza in NY is obviously the number one spot, seen cooks argue over flour ratios for the perfect crust in NY. There really should be no discussion around this.

You cant even buy pizza by the slice in San Diego? What is this California Pizza Kitchen???

August 13, 2013 at 2:31 am |
    • Mpow

You can get t by the slice... But if you're basing your opinion on California pizza kitchen then no wonder you disagree-gross! You got to hit the local hot spots, not the commercial chains!! Pizza port, Filippis, Hoboken are a few good ones to start with.

August 13, 2013 at 10:28 pm |
  20. Susan

I don't care what a list says. In 40+ years of eating pizza, the best I ever had is still Cameo Pizza in Sandusky, Ohio. Been around since 1936 and I've been eating it since before I had teeth. :) So excited that I'll be eating some Thursday night, first time in 2 years to drive back for it!

August 13, 2013 at 1:42 am |
    • Rover

1. L'appetito – Pinerolo, Italy
      2. New York,
      3. Jersey
      4, Chicago
      5. Cameo's! – Every Tuesday night for years!

August 13, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
  21. Don Healy

Journal Square in Jersey City far surpasses any place on the planet – any pizzeria there. And for authenticity, Trenton NJ's "tomato pies" are a dream come true!

August 13, 2013 at 1:39 am |
    • SP

This guy knows what he's talking about. The fact that Trenton or 'Tomato Pie' was not mentioned at all give the list absolutely no credibility. Yes, Trenton is a dump, but their style of pies are one of, if not the best.

And not even a mention of some of the excellent local Chicago places? Sheesh.

August 13, 2013 at 11:18 am |
  22. Nathan

15 years ago, Austin is nowhere on this list, but now...this town does have some da.mn good pies.

August 13, 2013 at 12:40 am |
    • jjdajetplane44

Where?

August 13, 2013 at 1:15 am |
      • Ajs

If you're into the whole 900-degree, brick oven, Neopolitan thing, both Bufalina and Backspace are pretty authentic (and I believe properly certified as well). Otherwise, places like Hoboken, Home Slice, and East Side Pies all do wonderful New York-style slices. There's also Via 313 for some unique Detroit pizza, which is cooked in a manufacturing tray. As far as I know, all of these places have opened within the past 5 years. And coming here from New York, I must admit the pizza scene in Austin is far better than I thought it would be. Now if I could only find a good hamburger...

August 13, 2013 at 1:41 am |
        • Daniel

Try Hopdoddy on South Congress. Those burgers are fantastic.

August 13, 2013 at 4:00 am |
        • LaurenM

for the best hamburger you'll have to drive to Dallas. It is at The Grape on Greenville avenue. It is only served on Sunday night. But it was such a hit they are now serving it on Monday night. It is high quality, large and on a roll that is fabulous. By far the best I have had anywhere. And I've lived in a half dozen cities between Boston and Dallas. Really.... worth the trip.

August 13, 2013 at 7:18 am |
  23. Nathan

15 years ago, Austin is nowhere on this list, but now...this town does have some damn good pies.

August 13, 2013 at 12:39 am |
  24. Ken Hansen

Next time hire a professional photographer. These photos of pizzas might qualify as the worst food photos ever.

August 13, 2013 at 12:25 am |
  25. tim

Lou Malnatis in Chicago has the best deep dish pizza ever, hands down. I cant believe you idiots didnt even mention Chicago on the list.....completely moronic.

August 13, 2013 at 12:09 am |
    • Khaled

Chicago is way "Over-rated" ..... and the deep dish there at Lou's sucks, nothing but raw dough in the middle !

August 13, 2013 at 12:58 am |
      • FrmerMarine

That's because 'deep dish' is for tourists.

August 13, 2013 at 8:53 pm |
    • Mark

If I was on Death Row, Lou's would be my final meal.

August 13, 2013 at 10:43 am |
  26. Tommy

this list looks like it was put together by a bunch of slow minded monkeys playing with a computer......New York is number 1 New Jersey on the boardwalk is number 2 Chicago 3 and put the rest in a random order...

August 13, 2013 at 12:07 am |
  27. Mitch

Should have taken the time to find out why Chico's Pizza Parlor in Moses Lake WA, who started business in 1958 and is still in the same family, is still around. smile

August 13, 2013 at 12:01 am |
  28. Alf

Check out Beefhide, Kentucky. The best pizza in Pike/Letcher county. Their secret is the water from Beefhide creek.

August 12, 2013 at 11:48 pm |
  29. Michael Scott

Sbarro has the best pizza in any city!

August 12, 2013 at 11:43 pm |
  30. Bubba

Pizza gives me diarrhea

August 12, 2013 at 11:41 pm |
  31. MIKE G

Are u kidding me!?!?!? Chicago!

August 12, 2013 at 11:39 pm |
    • Khaled Gulamhusein

Sorry but Chicago SUCKS !!!! Way over rated .........

August 12, 2013 at 11:49 pm |
  32. Buster

Cali hahahaha. Tripadvisor can eat a schlong!

August 12, 2013 at 11:35 pm |
  33. kat

best pizza is in denton texas. bogus list.

August 12, 2013 at 11:26 pm |
  34. Eric

If you want to start a holy war, then debating who makes the best pizza is one way to go. As a former New Yorker, my bias is for NY Pizza. (Of course, I've never had pizza from Cali, Boston, nor Vegas.) However, after moving to Seattle years ago, I can tell you that there's no way Seattle comes that close to NY pizza (and it's inconceivable to me how NY could be 4th on any legitimate list). I RUN to "Rose Pizza" in Penn station (the sausage pizza esp. is off the hook) whenever I visit my NY home. I eat pizza for breakfast out there!

August 12, 2013 at 11:12 pm |
    • Ajs

I find it humorous that in nearly all the descriptions and endorsements for the other cities they use phrases like "Brooklyn-style" and "as good as New York," and then New York, the standard by which they're judging every other city, is rated only 4th. I guess its one of those the-truth-is-so-obvious-that-we-have-to-say-something-different kind of things.

August 13, 2013 at 1:46 am |
  35. JC

Sorry – New Haven must be listed near if not at the top of any list for best pizza. If you've eaten pizza there, enough said.

August 12, 2013 at 11:04 pm |
    • Charlie

Absolutely, 100% spot on.....you can't have a pizza discussion without having Pepes, Sallys, Modern, or Zuppardis being discussed at length!!!

August 12, 2013 at 11:19 pm |
    • purewellnessamy

Yep, New Haven, CT!

August 13, 2013 at 6:30 am |
    • Kameelyon

New Haven, best in the country. Who are these trip advisory people anyway? Must have been raised on Florida pizza, if you can even call that pizza.

August 13, 2013 at 8:09 am |
    • ELF

Absolutely TRUE!

August 13, 2013 at 8:46 am |
  36. NanookoftheNorth

Congrats San Diego !

August 12, 2013 at 11:01 pm |
  37. Stacy

TripAdvisor doesn't know squat if Moose's Tooth Pizza in Anchorage, Alaska isn't on that list. Every visitor I've ever met, makes certain that Moose's Tooth Pizza is their first AND last stop in Alaska. These people come from all over the world, New York, Germany, UK, Georgia, Washington, Alabama, Russia, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan – they can't get enough.

August 12, 2013 at 10:59 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Moose's Tooth mentioned by two different people in these comments and at least a third (me) that also knows about that place. Nice. Not an accident.

August 13, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
      • beernpizzalover

I've had it, too – years ago. Not bad!

August 14, 2013 at 12:43 pm |
  38. jen mak

ummmm North JERSEY has the best pizza ever... Ive traveled all around and its the best!!!

August 12, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
    • Ann

ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY!! Pizza Town on Rte 46 in Elmwood Park!

August 13, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
  39. jerryk

San diego really? i went once and never had a bad mexican dish but i did not really see any pizza parlors . Born and raised in NYC and i personally think best pizza is the wise old Italian man who has served it up for 30 + years. You find one of the those then it's safe to say it's most likely super. I found one such spot in brooklyn some time ago. Sadly i cant remember the name but that slice tasted like the way it tasted when i was a kid. Nowadays you need to dig deep to find those places. NYC has too many 99 cent places popping up , sure its ok if on a budget , but its taste just like that 99 cents and that's not to say you cant find the good stuff plenty of places in NYC and surrounding areas

August 12, 2013 at 10:52 pm |
    • Khan

I think you are talking about DiFara Pizza in Midwood section of Brooklyn (on Ave J and E 15th). Best pizza in the US!

August 13, 2013 at 1:45 am |
  40. Jules

This list is embarrassing! Let's ignore the entire borough of Brooklyn that ALONE holds the majority of the best pizzerias in the country. Then add all the other amazing pizzerias in NY which makes NY win. There is NO WAY any other city tops NYC. Nevada? Pizzerias ship NY water over there for their pizza dough soooooooo maybe the author of this article should've researched that little factoid! It's NY water that helps make the pizza incredible. Chicago and NY should've been racing for 1st on this list but every other city is a joke. I've been to these places. My sister in Cali has me ship her COLD PIZZA just so that she can have NYC pizza. She rather have cold pizza then San Diego pizza. Give me a break! One, two even 10 pizzerias in one city do not make up for the hundreds of pizzerias in NYC and Chicago. I hope NO ONE takes this seriously. AUGUST FOOLS, everyone!

August 12, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
    • Jer

Gospel, Jules. Never been to New York, but even without having done so recognize it's importance to pizza in ways that few other cities can even argue for. Grew up in Chicago, though and the fact that it doesn't make the list makes this article a complete joke. And not even a whispered mention of St. Louis, with it's completely different style and a cheese that was developed specifically for it? The author read questionnaire stats and decided it was all the research they needed to do. Just a joke of an article. Wish I could get paid for doing that much nothing.

August 12, 2013 at 11:03 pm |
  41. Ryan

Laughable. New York is the best, followed by Philly, followed by any beach resort in New Jersey (especially on the boardwalk). Embarrassing list.

August 12, 2013 at 10:42 pm |
  42. MBROKK

I grew up in Scranton PA – Ive lived in mostly S NE PA since; but I have travelled utside the US – and there is no greater taste or diversity in pizza than in Scranton or the area.... check it out folks. Not just Old Forge – totally tasty but West Scranton has a few great places as does South Scranton.

August 12, 2013 at 10:38 pm |
    • Cjr

Ahhh Revellos in Old Forge!!! Love love love that pizza!! Wish we could have pizza like that in Ohio!!

August 12, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
  43. TLORop

Those pies look nasty.

August 12, 2013 at 10:29 pm |
  44. Tom

I guess hometown pizza is everybody's favorite.

August 12, 2013 at 10:22 pm |
  45. waynej

When I order a pizza, I prefer a meal. If that means I have to wait 45 minutes for the thing to be done just right, then wait I shall. The sauce should be on top, with the tomatoes nicely seared, just a hint of char. Cheese layered over cheese, down on the bottom. A hearty crust that does not cave, does not 'fold' under the pressure, no matter the load. In polite company, of course I fork and knife the slice, but in the privacy of a take home, I will hold a three slice half pie before my face like an offering to a god, before savaging the sweet flesh of the center. Prosciutto, peppers, red onions. grease dribbling down my chin. Sauce to my ear lobs. Thy name is deep dish.

August 12, 2013 at 10:19 pm |
  46. SanDiegoLady

True San Diego I'm sure doesn't have the best Pizza but we have Great Mexican food. :) #BytheBorder

August 12, 2013 at 10:11 pm |
    • Crash Landing

I used to be stationed there in S.D. You all have great flying weather, but your Mexican food is "tourist food!". I 'm a native Texan and have "been everywhere!" Might I strongly suggest that you visit central or south Texas and check out our delicious "Tex-Mex" cuisine. Warning – make sure that you have sugar, milk, and/or ice cream on your table before the entree' arrives.

August 12, 2013 at 11:34 pm |
  47. Meg

I'm sorry but in my opinion nothing come's close to New Haven pizza – it's the best and you cannot beat the 100-year-old brick ovens.

August 12, 2013 at 10:07 pm |
  48. mark

San Diego? Fugetaboutit. New York City.

August 12, 2013 at 10:05 pm |
  49. Southwest Philly Dude

Family Style Pizza – 71st and Passyunk Avenue, Philly, PA – Over 45 Years – STILL THE BEST PIZZA I'VE EVER HAD IN THE WORLD!!! And everybody I turn on to them, AGREES! Nothing like their pepperoni and sausage pizzas! Greek peeps. Check 'em out next time you're in Philly. You'll be back for more wherever you're coming from.

August 12, 2013 at 9:55 pm |