August 12th, 2013

John Fricke is a CNN Assignment Editor. He cares deeply about pizza. Pies pictured above are from Oakland and Hollywood, California, and Denver, Colorado. They look delicious, right? Their cities didn't make the list, but they're a few of the best new pizza places around the country.

If say to you, "Name the best city for pizza in America," your answer will, of course, be "San Diego." Wait, what?

The world's largest travel website TripAdvisor.com recently released its new list of "Top 10 Cities for Pizza" in the United States. Tripadvisor bills itself as offering "the world's most trusted travel advice," but just how trusted the travel giant will be after publishing this list may be up for debate.

The top list does not the word "Chicago," no matter how deep into the dish you dig.

The elite group includes towns better known for dishes like fish tacos, cheesesteak sandwiches and even 99-cent shrimp cocktails than they are for the beloved, cheesy, saucy pie.

Yes, the Big Apple got a slice of the action, coming in at number four. The never-ending debate between New York thinly-sliced newspaper with sauce against Chicago's luscious loaded paradise of a pie (was that an editorial on my part?) is always entertaining to witness. What's not is a debate over whether San Diego's slices top that of Las Vegas - which they did, barely.

I cannot say I have ever heard someone suggest: "Let's jump on a jet to Vegas! Pizza baby!" Despite my love of pizza, whenever I hit the buffet line on a marquee joint on the Vegas Strip I usually am not beelining for something I can find on any street corner in any city, anywhere.

These rankings were based on reviews and opinions from TripAdvisor travelers. Top spots were determined based on the highest average rating by city for all restaurants that serve pizza. This doesn't mean that you, the pizza-loving reader, have to fold over and agree - oh no indeed.

In the comments below, shout out your favorite pizza place and the city in which it exists, and a loving description of the best pie or slice. Get as passionate and poetic as you'd like, and we'll share the best responses in an upcoming feature.

TripAdvisor's 2013 Top 10 Cities for Pizza

1. San Diego, California
2. Las Vegas, Nevada
3. Boston, Massachusetts
4. New York City, New York
5. Seattle, Washington
6. Austin, Texas
7. San Francisco, California
8. Indianapolis, Indiana
9. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
10. Phoenix, Arizona

Previously:
Best new pizza places across the U.S.
How to grill pizza
Crazy pizzas from around the country
Provel and pizza - a St. Louis tradition

Posted by:
Filed under: Pizza

1. ambsd

There's not a single prevailing style here but overall the pizza in San Diego is really solid. For all of it's faults, this city does certain things really well, pizza being one of them. We just don't talk about ourselves constantly the way other cities do. We know life is good here, we don't have to prove it to anyone. Unfortunately, we're better at getting attention for political jackassery.

August 12, 2013 at 9:53 pm |
    • FrmerMarine

Go home, ambsd. You're drunk.

August 13, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
  2. Lagos

Hardly the best city for it, but Wild Tomato in Fish Creek, WI. Only twice as much as something from the likes of Papa Johns would with a coupon and not even comparable. A good 40 minutes each way from my Grandma's but worth the drive, absolutely amazing.

August 12, 2013 at 9:49 pm |
  3. pAnDoRa241

Indianapolis made the list?! Go Indy! I'll add my shout-out for Circle City Pizza right here in Indy. I'm a local, so I'm biased, but Circle City makes the best deluxe pizza I've ever eaten.

August 12, 2013 at 9:41 pm |
  4. Blasphemy.

New York City wins, hands down. California and Boston are responsible for the country's worst pizzas.

August 12, 2013 at 9:38 pm |
    • John

Agreed.

He thoroughly discredits himself by putting Seattle on the list. I live here. It's inedible. I never buy it. I pay for shipping from back East.

August 12, 2013 at 9:46 pm |
      • joseph

Hot mamas is a good NY style pie, Pagliacci is always passable, and i got a great Pepperoni from PAdrinos the other day. Its not so much quality here as quantity and availability. Unless you live in the burbs, then its not really seattle either.

August 13, 2013 at 12:52 am |
    • mark

Duh.

August 12, 2013 at 10:07 pm |
    • nolesshabitual

New york has nice pie but don't you dare knock Boston. I'll take Regina's over anywhere! You haven't tasted crappy pizza til you've been to Dallas, paper thin and little flavor, honestly Domino's is the best in this city and I wouldn't dream of getting them over Regina's, Pino's in Cleveland Circle or Papa Gino's in the suburbs. Special shout out to bar style pizza throughout MA

August 12, 2013 at 10:37 pm |
      • LaurenM

Dallas pizza is improving. You need to understand that despite the size of the city, the concept of Italian food is pretty foreign. Steak, Tex-Mex and southern-style food unfortunately reigns in a lot of places. My husband and I have not found an Italian place yet that is satisfactory. And they are run by pseudo-Italians, aka Albanians. What is that about? So it's no wonder the concept of good pizza escapes them.
        There is an old chain of pizza places in Dallas, Campisi's. If you grew up in Dallas, you think this is absolutely the best. It is pizza that is awful, the crust thin or thick has NO flavor and they must buy them frozen from somewhere. Dallasites grow misty while discussing this place. It is just hideous. Just goes to show you money does not equal knowledge or taste.

August 13, 2013 at 7:11 am |
        • Ralph

Not sure the last time you stepped in Dallas, but it is definitely not true. I can think of at least three places that serve pizza in Dallas the way it should be: Canne Rosso, Eno's and Cavalli's. I have lived in Italy for a year, so can attest they are the real deal. Actually, I'd be surprised to find a major metropolitan area in the US that does not have a true, good Neapolitan pizza – a good way is to just look for an "Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana" seal.

August 13, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • Galaxy Prime

New York makes the best pizza. I've seen California pizza shops that advertise they make pizzas just like they do in New York – they know saying that brings people into their shop.

August 12, 2013 at 10:48 pm |
  5. Han

What a pathetic list! I live in Boston and can't even vouch for this city for pizza AND we're third in the country for pizza? San Diego is first? Is everyone at TripAdvisor drunk when making this list?

Any list of best pizza not having NY as best in the country is without credibility. Ugh.

August 12, 2013 at 9:16 pm |
    • RJS

Clearly never been to Regina's or Santarpio's.

August 12, 2013 at 9:23 pm |
      • JC

Two pizza places to not make a city.

August 12, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
      • JC

Two pizza places DO NOT make a city. Umbertos is great too. But Boston is not a pizza city.

August 12, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
        • LaurenM

That's interesting that Boston isn't a pizza city. It can be difficult to find a good pizza there unless you're more into the newer less traditional pizza joints. Maybe because there are so many cuisines and so many neighborhoods in Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, etc. that are ethnic and serve great food. They are not as reliant on pizza to burnish their reputation as a food city. In addition to New York, I like Providence and New Orleans for great food... And anywhere I can get a good lobster roll and PEI mussels.

August 13, 2013 at 7:26 am |
      • shlomo

Santarpio's is always my first stop when leaving Logan. Regina's also great pie. Chicago is another Great Pizza City. Gotta say though, So MANY Great pizzarias in NY, It tops my personal list. San Diego???? Please, while SOME very good pizza there........Trip Advisor just dropped a few notches in Reliability as far as I'm concerned.

August 12, 2013 at 10:10 pm |
      • nolesshabitual

Or Pino's or presto in Cleveland circle, or had barroom style throughout the suburb. Even the near defunct Upper Crust and the late Bostone in the back bay. I left Boston for Dallas six months ago and can vouch the pizza there is top notch.

August 12, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
        • LaurenM

Regina's is awful, except maybe the original in the N. End - Santarpio's is fine. Upper Crust – I left Boston before this got established and subsequently had severe problems with labor, etc. There's always a little joint here or there that makes great pizza. We'll never know them all. I never share with anyone my favorite beaches. I suspect the same goes for pizza.

August 13, 2013 at 7:03 am |
  6. Martin White

Donatos Pizza, thin crust edge to edge toppings.....best I ever had. Opened in Columbus Ohio in 1963, check it out!

August 12, 2013 at 9:12 pm |
  7. Miss Mootz

ZUPPARDI'S...West Haven, CT...RIP Robert Z

August 12, 2013 at 8:59 pm |
  8. vince vince the pizza prince

Why is Old Forge, Pennsylvania not listed?
    Revello's is the best pizza I've ever had.
    Followed closely by Dino & Francesco in Clarks Summit, PA.

August 12, 2013 at 8:57 pm |
  9. LaurenM

I don't think you can go wrong with a moderately thick, aka regular, pizza. Too thin can be catastrophic, and too thick is just too heavy (not to mention fattening). Yes a thick crust can support a lot of "stuff" on the pizza, but a truly great pizza has less on it. The focus is on proper cooking or grilling, with the freshest of ingredients. None of that soggy stuff, thank you very much. It's harder than you think to have all the ingredients come together perfectly. Most of us East Coast types are very attached to the pizza they grew up with.

Anyone seen the great little movie, Mystic Pizza? It's a must see - Julia Roberts' first big role. Look for Matt Damon as one of the local boys. And yes, there IS a Mystic Pizza in Mystic, Connecticut...

August 12, 2013 at 8:37 pm |
  10. Michallangelo

The BEST pizza is in New York!

Take it from me,I LOVE PIZZA Cowabunga!

August 12, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
    • shlomo

u so right goomba!

August 12, 2013 at 10:11 pm |
  11. Fiona

The thing about Trip Advisor is it gets most of it's reviews from vacationers, and their food reviews are usually pinned to a trip. So that means any list like this is going to be skewed toward vacation cities. San Diego is hugely popular for family vacations, and families on vacation favor pizza places because they're cheap and cheerful. Great food is in short supply in SD, too, while New York (also a popular family vacation spot) has almost too many choices.

August 12, 2013 at 8:25 pm |
  12. Traveler

I've traveled most of the country, and pretty much everything Northeast of Philly should be top 5. New Haven has got the most spectacular pizza in the country. Most cities have a few excellent pizza places, but on a whole the average pizza in these places is horrible. The fact that you can count the number of very good pizza places in your city on one hand should be a sign. I never know what to do with Chicago though. The deep dish is out of sight, it just so much different than its thin crust cousin. Heck, even Chicago's thin crust pizzerias are usually quite good.

August 12, 2013 at 8:18 pm |
    • Fiona

There is some knock-your-socks-off pizza on the California coast, ya know. It's just not in San Diego.

August 12, 2013 at 8:28 pm |
  13. Corey

This list is a travesty

August 12, 2013 at 8:12 pm |
  14. TWong

As a born and raised Manhattan (NY'er) I know about pizza. Been to the Lombardi's (where America's 1st pizzeria was opened). Been to "cousins" of theirs pizzerias multiple times like Patsy's (Lancieri's on 118th st and 1st ave, Manhattan) and Patsy's (Grimaldi's -Brooklyn's Front St.) which spawned Grimaldi's the chain of pizzerias in Arizona. There are tons of pizza places in NYC (especially Manhattan) so if it's not good, it won't last in NY and will be closed. So Pizza in NYC is very competitive (and has to be good if not great). I lived in Chicago for almost 5 years and had plenty of deep dish and well it's more like a NY pizza with a whole meal on top of it. I have been living for the past 10+ years in Scottsdale AZ, right by Phoenix where the Bronx's Chris Bianco has two restaurants. Chris brought NY pizza to the Southwest. His pizza is worth the long lines and the James Beard accolades of Best Pizza in AMERICA by NYTimes, Bon Appetite, GQ, Vogue, Rachel Ray, Martha Stewart, Gourmet, Cosmopolitan magazine, Jimmy Kimmel (multiples times on his TV show),Yes Oprah herself too even sent a film crew to shoot a segment there for Best Pizza in America. I come from a famous Chinese (30 years)restaurant family in NYC and like Chinese food there is a lot of mediocre pizza out there). Only certain places do it right, and do it right all the time. Go "Bianco's" T Wong.

August 12, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
    • LaurenM

Glad you mentioned Grimaldi's. I had it in Dallas, TX and it was the best pizza I had eaten in several years - since I had left the Northeast. It is thin (or not) with very fresh ingredients, just the way it should be. Dallas has NO other pizza places in my opinion that consistently put out a good product. And Dallas has NO good Italian restaurants, while we're on the subject. None. How can a city with millions of people fail to feed its people the best food on earth?

August 12, 2013 at 8:44 pm |
      • BarryM

I am assuming you have never had Serious Pizza or Eno's?

August 12, 2013 at 11:49 pm |
        • LaurenM

No I havn't BarryM. But I am moving back to Dallas. Where are Serious and Eno's? In North Dallas/Plano area?

August 13, 2013 at 6:40 am |
  15. WS

The best thin crust pizza in the world can be found at a locally owned joint called Cameli's in Atlanta, GA.

August 12, 2013 at 8:04 pm |
  16. shawn

I didn't even finish this story because it is so poorly written. There are so many spelling and grammatical errors that its a joke! Whoever wrote this needs to re-think their path in life because serious writing is not the path.

August 12, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
  17. Charli

So NYC is barely in the top 5 and Chicago isn't on the list. This list is bogus!

August 12, 2013 at 7:44 pm |
  18. Bill

Failure to include Chicago, and not having it and NYC in the top 2 spots, automatically invalidates this list.

August 12, 2013 at 7:35 pm |
    • Craig

C'mon. In San Diego, we have Dominos, Round Table, Pizza Hut and Little Caesers, ALL the big names. Seriously, out-of-towners don't realize the long history of tuna fisherman in San Diego is tied to the Italian community down by the port. And San Diego is pretty trendy today on the food creative side, so alot of the new-style pizzas are here. Still, surprising to see San Diego on top.

August 12, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
      • Bill

Chain restaurants? Really?

(Oh wait, you're serious about that comment...)

August 12, 2013 at 7:48 pm |
        • guitarken

ha ha ha ha ha......sorry, have to catch my breath. Seriously, San Diego?

August 12, 2013 at 8:28 pm |
  19. Franklin

As someone who lives in San Diego, I can assure you the pizza here sucks. Besides maybe Bronx and Luigi's, which would be below average in NY, there isn't any others worth trying.
    Now if we were having a debate on the best city for burritos...

August 12, 2013 at 7:12 pm |
  20. HowieBSD

For those curious about San Diego pizza and find yourself in town- Blue Ribbon, Bronx, Voltero's, Basic, Bruno, Buono Forchetta, and Pizza Port are some of the rock stars. You may also want to note the San Diego is the center of the micro-brew business with the likes of Stone, Greenflash, AleSmith, and Ballast Point to name just a few. Good times!

August 12, 2013 at 7:03 pm |
    • Bill

That's the problem. If this list were a "Top 10 cities to get a micro brew," then I fully support San Diego being at the top of the list. But it's about pizza.

August 12, 2013 at 7:42 pm |
  21. Sqwerty

Why is pizza treated like a city phenomenon? Shouldn't it be addressed as a chain or restaurant accomplishment?

August 12, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
  22. bob

This list would be at the top of the worst Top Ten Lists ever! Chicago not even on the list? Pull your head our of you a** gods sake. What a joke!

August 12, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
  23. LucyRicardo

I don't know what you people have been smokin' but this list is way off - except perhaps for New York City. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE San Diego - in fact it's my very favorite city in the country, but it isn't known for its pizza. New York City and Chicago should be at the top of the list. By the way, I love the thin crust pizza and Chicago has some very good places for thin crust pizza. It's not just thick crust pizza that's popular here. I'm guessing New Jersey has some really good pizza spots too.

August 12, 2013 at 6:16 pm |
  24. cornersburger

Cornersburg Pizza . . . Youngstown, Ohio

Nothing like it anywhere else on the face of the Earth !!

August 12, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
  25. Isaiah

TripAdvisor should have changed the name of their list (I can't think of a good name now, but definitely not top 10 cities for pizza). You can't base a city's ranking on one or two places that might be good. If you want good pizza in a city where you might be able to go to several or even a dozen or more spots and be satisfied, I can guarantee that 80% of that list would be eradicated and cities in the NYC tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) would replace them, and even though I'm from Jersey, when I go to Chicago, I always have to have the heart attack in a pan they created, the deep dish. This list is offensive.

August 12, 2013 at 5:39 pm |
  26. KevvieMetal

Interestingly, my favorite pizza place in the San Diego area (okay, anywhere on the planet) isn't even listed on the TripAdvisor site. Locals don't tell anyone about it because it's so delicious yet so tiny they don't want the secret to get out. Will I tell you the name? Nope. I'll just tell you it's somewhere on La Jolla Boulevard.

August 12, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
    • EricSan

The best pizza in the USA is at Regents Pizza in UTC area

August 12, 2013 at 8:47 pm |
      • FrmerMarine

No one knows or cares what the UTC area is.

August 13, 2013 at 8:58 pm |
  27. Davo

The first time I was in New York I had a simple slice of cheese pizza. Will never forget that sauce,the best. Chicago deep-dish I love in the winter but New York baby,New York! -Iowa farm boy gone 'round the world.

August 12, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
  28. LJP

NEW JERSEY!!! Enzo's Pizza in Brick, NJ BEST EVER!!! Gone now, RIP Enzo

August 12, 2013 at 4:47 pm |
  29. Leigh

Tacconelli's in Philadelphia.

August 12, 2013 at 4:20 pm |
  30. Jane

How about all of those wonderful pizza restaurants at the Jersey Shore points!

August 12, 2013 at 4:09 pm |
    • Leigh

I have to agree the the shore has some amazing pizza.

August 12, 2013 at 4:21 pm |
      • Jane

the best!

August 13, 2013 at 11:26 am |
  31. Venky

I think Illinois state has the best pizza and one particular pizza place is the Quotro's pizza in carbondale, Illinois. The best pizza I have had anywhere in the US. Specially the Buffalo chicken pizza and the chicken alfredo...!!!!

August 12, 2013 at 3:59 pm |
    • m_j_christy

Heck yeah! I love Quattro's...an underrated pizza gem in So. Illinois. BTW, go Salukis!

August 12, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
    • Dave

I can almost taste their "Quattro's Challenge" right now!

August 13, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
  32. Frank

New Haven, CT.... enough said

August 12, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
    • Goaty McCheese

Yep. Boston #3? Boston's not even the third best pizza town in New England.

August 12, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
      • LaurenM

Top 3:
        The best pizza comes from Naples, Italy. The Neapolitans settled in Providence, Rhode Island and their contribution was the Federal Hill pizza place, Caserta's.
        Next: The Pizza Foundation, Marfa, Texas. The RISD-educated owners learned how to make pizza in Italy and brought their expertise to the hinterlands. Worth the trip to their converted pizza joint. At the "blinking light" in Marfa, (west Texas, about 1 hour from the Mexican border) across from the police station.
        Next: A small chain in Boston called Bertucci's. Their dough has been certified as being ... whatever the term is, it escapes me at the moment. Only Bertucci's and a pizza place in Arizona have this certification. Great pizza, especially their melanzane. Delicioso !
        And in Rhode Island, there is cold pizza –oblong strips of pizza, purchased usually at a bakery, served cold, tomato sauce only on it. There's a knack to doing it properly, but it is very tasty. Moderately thick, a tad greasy and very tasty.

August 12, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
        • Goaty McCheese

LOVE Caserta's. LOVE it.

August 14, 2013 at 11:32 am |
    • andrea

Thank you Frank – finally someone knows what they are talking about!

August 12, 2013 at 9:38 pm |
  33. DJ

Pizza Pappalous in Greektown – Detroit

August 12, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
    • Aaron

If we're talking Detroit then Supino in Eastern Market needs to be in the conversation. Pizza Papalis is a chain with lots of stores and there is better Chicago Style out there. I'll admit that I like their pizza but for flavor and inventiveness, I love Supino Pizzeria.

August 12, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
    • Aaron

Also, Tomatos APizza in Farmington Hills makes a great Newhaven style pie in big brick ovens. Only been there once but need to go back.

August 12, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
    • Aaron

Then there is the authentic thick Detroit style of Buddy's and to a lesser extent, Jet's. I'll take Buddy's Sicilian or Jet's BBQ Chicken over Pizza Papalis any day.

Hell, lets face it. There's a lot of good pizza in Detroit and I'd eat the hell out of some Papalis right about now...

August 12, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
    • Dwayne

Along with Buddy's don't forget Green Lantern, although the pepperoni they used to have was better. It looked liked little bowls and they just blacken the edges.....It tasted incredible!!!

August 13, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
  34. Sweet City Sue

Boche's Pizza – Buffalo, NY – Yum, Yum, Yum....

August 12, 2013 at 3:27 pm |
  35. Cardinal

The best pizza in America is in South America....São Paulo, Brazil. Any pizzeria down there will put any US pizza to shame.

August 12, 2013 at 3:22 pm |
  36. Hobart Schmenge

Fong's Pizza, Des Moines, Iowa. The crab rangoon pizza is my personal favorite, with the Thai chicken pizza in close second. Chinese food on a thin, cracker crust.

August 12, 2013 at 2:59 pm |
  37. cali girl

I would say East Coast gets the prize, but have never had one to be sure.
    In Napa, a great little place called Ca Momi, to die for. They are a winery but have the brick oven for a smack down great pie.
    Also a little hole in the wall, Napoli's in Vallejo, to the East of San Francisco, owner from Italy. Yum. Now I know what is for lunch!

August 12, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
  38. Vincent

Nevada? San Diego? Arizona? Are you nuts? NYC, Philadelphia falling behind some of these. Disgrazia.

August 12, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • LR

Funny thing....Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix was voted best pizza in the country one year (by some magazine). Everyone in NY had a fit, until they learned that the owner is from NY originally. Word has it that Jerry Seinfeld brings friends there for dinner. I'm not saying that it makes AZ one of the best states for pizza, but it's goooood.

August 12, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
      • LaurenM

I wonder if this is the other place with the dough that is "certified" as, whatever, as is Bertucci's in Boston.? sorry, don't mean to be vague, but as I recall they were both voted the best because of their dough by a professional restaurant association. Anyone help me here?

August 12, 2013 at 8:26 pm |
        • catty

You may be thinking of an association called the VPN (Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana). It was formed in the 80s by a group of pizza makers in Naples who wanted to introduce true Neapolitan pizza to other countries. They've gotten "DOC" status in Italy which means that in addition to the geographic restrictions, there are strict rules about how the pizza can be made (like how big the pie is, what the oven can be made of and how hot it gets, also very specific about ingredients that can be used – "00" flour, san marzano tomatoes, buffala mozzarella, etc.). The VPN certifies pizzerias around the world as being authentic if they conform to these regulations. There are easily over a hundred VPN-certified places in the US at this point – most larger cities have at least one.

August 14, 2013 at 1:28 am |
    • TJ

NY and Chicago can fight all they want out thin vs deep dish. Out west, we have the best of both worlds, somewhere right in the middle. Crispy on the bottom and slightly chewy in the middle. The best example is definitely Pizza Port in the San Diego area. I'm from Vegas (which I don't think belongs on the list at all but whatever) and I make the 4 to 5 hour drive to San Diego at least 6 times a year just for Pizza Port. (Ok and Stone Brewery but still)

August 12, 2013 at 6:24 pm |
      • bob-o-roosky

Pizza Port, at least the one in Carlsbad, is straight nasty!! Cool looking place but their crust is puffy, doughy undercooked flavorless and their sauce is forgetable....wings were gross to, try cookin them, I could taste the flour on the coating though the greassy sogginess.

August 12, 2013 at 7:07 pm |
      • FrmerMarine

NY and Chicago fight about a lot of things, but never deep dish v thin crust. Chicagoans love thin crust, tourists love deep dish. But – WHICH thin crust? New Yorkers like a floppy thin crust with thin ingredients and as much grease as possible cut in a wedge. Chicagoans like a crispy thin crust with three dimensional ingredients and slightly browned cheese cut into squares (eat the smallest piece first for luck).

August 13, 2013 at 9:02 pm |
    • Rockthemyke

Before you get your pepperonis and prosciuttos tied in a knot, Pizzaria Bianco in Phoenix has won huge kudos best pizza in America from Bon Appétit, Vogue, NYT and gayot.com. Its been recognized on GQ, Martha Stewart, Oprah, and Chef Chris Bianco (James Beard winner) makes all the pies and his own mozzarella himself, grows all the herbs in a garden next to the restaurant and everything locally sourced. The cat is originally from NYC so it keeps them content knowing he's a transplant. A lot of other places in town have popped up as copy cats and are giving him a run for his money so thats probably why Phx is on this list.

August 13, 2013 at 3:30 am |
      • LaurenM

The key to great pizza: the freshest of ingredients on top and a tasty, non-soggy crust. And don't overload the pizza. If you want all that stuff on it, make a casserole.

August 13, 2013 at 9:41 am |
  39. stylistkathi

Attica, NY a tiny little place called Meisner's – The sauce is flavorful, the crust is thick but not too thick and the toppings are generous. A trip out of the norm but well worth the time.

August 12, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
  40. Susan

Once again a list of best pizza cities and New Haven, CT isn't on it. Seriously?!! Has anyone ever had true clam pizza made by Pepe's or great pizza made by Sally's. Just because it isn't one of the largest cities in the U.S. doesn't mean it should be excluded.

August 12, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
    • LaurenM

I hear great things about New Haven pizza, esp. the white pizzas. Sorry I haven't had the opportunity to have one. I can add that to my list of things to experience...

August 12, 2013 at 8:29 pm |
    • Dan

Not been there – but have heard New Haven has some legit pizza joints – and i live all the way in california.

August 13, 2013 at 1:57 am |
    • boatvolt

Amen.

August 13, 2013 at 4:29 pm |
  41. BeerBrewerDan

There is no way this article will generate arguments re: Chicago vs. New York vs. New Jersey.

August 12, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
  42. Sharpalpha

Wedgewood Pizza on South Ave, Boardman. OH.....best ever pizza!!

August 12, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
  43. palintwit

Wasilla, AK should be on the list.

August 12, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
    • FrmerMarine

Quiet, Sarah.

August 13, 2013 at 9:02 pm |
  44. Chris, Austin

I agree on Austin. These days, the pizza to die for is Via 313 Detroit-Style Pizza. Mangia's is also fantastic.

August 12, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • Aaron

Via 313 looks really good. Ever been to Buddy's in actual Detroit? Very similar style pizza. The Sicilian rocks. Cheese, pepperoni, green peppers, black olives, salami, diced tomato, and a fresh crushed tomato basil sauce. Amazing. And the delicious crust made by those 50 year old pizza pans is to die for.

August 12, 2013 at 4:17 pm |
    • Aaron

Haha, just saw their shout out to Buddy's on their website. NICE!

And if in Detroit and in need of good delivery, a Jet's BBQ chicken will never steer you wrong. The honey BBQ drizzle on top in fan-freakin'-tastic.

August 12, 2013 at 4:28 pm |
    • Nathan

I love Salvation, Home Slice, East Side Pies, Pint House, Conan's...so many good choices in this town.

August 13, 2013 at 12:42 am |
  45. kayeles

Clams in the shell on a pizza? Really?
    I love clams and clam juice as much as anyone – but who wants a soggy pizza that you need to reconstruct before you can eat it. I'm a modernist foodie – but generally steer clear of CA (where I live) foo foo pizza.
    Chicago thin crust for me.

August 12, 2013 at 2:18 pm |
    • Aaron

I saw that and was also a little taken back. It's like putting... hmmm... I was trying to come up with a similar ridiculousness but couldn't. Truth be told, it's like putting whole clams on a pizza and expecting your customers to pull the boiling hot clams off each slice, shuck them, put the clam meat back on, and then eat the pizza. Stop with the gimmicks. If you want clams and clam juice on your pizza, fine. Just leave the shells out of the equation.

And I don't want the tails on my shrimp in a pasta dish either!

August 12, 2013 at 4:32 pm |
  46. steve

Boston #3? Granted there are a couple of decent places here, but all in all, I'd say the pizza is terrible

August 12, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
    • Enguerrand de Coucy

Absolutely correct! I live in Boston, on the waterfront, a few blocks from the North End, the Most over Hyped Italian neighborhood in America. The Pizza in this city is horrible!!!

August 12, 2013 at 4:13 pm |
    • Goaty McCheese

Pizza in Boston has got a lot better in the past 20 years – it's no longer just Santarpio's and Reginas. But New Haven and Providence are still better pizza towns.

August 12, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
    • LaurenM

If you truly feel that way - and I don't agree - you should drive to Providence or New Haven. But Boston does pretty well for food in variety and quality. But a 45-minute drive to Providence wouldn't hurt ya....

August 12, 2013 at 8:32 pm |
  47. TexRob

This is kind of an absurd list. The reason I say that is, the list may as well be "10 best cities for food" because Pizza is nearly as broad as that. I love Pizza, most all types, but to say deep dish and italian style pizza are anywhere near similar, for example, is silly. They both share some ingredients, but some people hate one, and love the other. If you're going to do a list like this, you need to make it more specific, or do multiple ones. I hate the fancy ingredient Cali style pizza a lot of people love, and I imagine is a big part of why San Diego is #1.

August 12, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
    • BeerBrewerDan

I am not commenting on the validity/accuracy of the list, but Solana Beach Pizza Port is *way* more than fancy pizzas with sprouts and tofu. Their pizza is 100% legit.

August 12, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
      • Franklin

Pizza Port makes incredible beer. Hands down some of the best in San Diego. But their pizza is f-ing gross

August 12, 2013 at 7:15 pm |
      • Dan

If you like a casserole style pizza, yes Pizza Port is good. I'm a bit more of a traditionalist though – their sauce is bad, cheese worse and they use a damn conveyer belt to bake. Now, the 'zzaaas are even made in a comissary in Bressi Ranch. Beer is damn good though...

August 13, 2013 at 1:54 am |
  48. Any name, any city...

Thin crust topped with pepperoni or meatballs only. Anything else, and you are consuming swill.

August 12, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
    • Aaron

OK pizza police. Isn't it time for your meds?

August 12, 2013 at 4:18 pm |
    • Goaty McCheese

Pepperoni is for suburban pinheads.

August 12, 2013 at 4:33 pm |
    • Aaron

The only real pizza is .73 inches thick and is topped with nothing but cherry tomatoes, shaved parmesan, and aged greek olives. If you eat any other kind of pizza you probably like to engage in sexual activities outside of your own species.

August 12, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
      • T. Bagher

greek olives are for liberals. Cherry tomatoes are a clear indicator of a personality disorder.

August 12, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
        • Goaty McCheese

Yah, I think our man Aaron needs his head examined. Cherry tomatoes? I wouldn't feed cherry tomatoes to a dog. And that's presuming I could find a dog who would eat them.

August 14, 2013 at 11:35 am |
  49. John

We all know Chicago has the best pizza... Makes me wonder if it was left off the list to make people ready this awful article.

August 12, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
    • John

uh yeah... well except New Yorkers who seems to think a quarter inch of dough with a slice of mozzarella
      amounts to PIZZA! I worked in the original (first one) Godfather's pizza.. when it was 5 inches thick!
      GREAT STUFF!!!!

August 12, 2013 at 3:32 pm |
      • Raquel

OMG!! I love the original Godfathers. Where is there one now? It is the best!

August 12, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
      • guitarken

You are not kidding are you? I've been all over this country and back and eaten pizza in almost every state. There IS no other pizza besides New York, with a major honorable mention to the huge, deep dish pies in Chicago. Whenever I see anyone who has never lived in New York City try to say how great Godfather's Pizza is, all I can feel is tremendous pity.

August 12, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
      • Ann

Sorry, but pizza that thick sounds gross – like lasagna made with bread.

August 13, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
      • Mike McDonalds

your measurements are shockingly inaccurate, I think you confused inches with centimeters

August 13, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
    • Josh

I love both NY style and Chicago-style pizza. I think they are separate genres though. I could eat one for lunch and the other for dinner and not feel like I had the same thing for both meals.

August 13, 2013 at 9:07 am |
    • jdclark56

A list of best pizza without Chicago? I have them shipped in from Lou Malnati's or Giordano's.
      Boston #3? The only decent pizza in Boston is Uno's Chicago style.

August 13, 2013 at 1:26 pm |
  50. RC

Agree on #5. Lots of great pies in Seattle. But I lived in and around San Diego Most of my life and don't recall it as a "pizza city". That being said, this is such a subjective category that I'm sure it will degenerate into a "My city's better than your city" debate.

August 12, 2013 at 1:31 pm |