June 20th, 2013

Popular food chain Chipotle announces that some of its ingredients are genetically modified. CNN's Brian Todd reports.

Culinary Manager of Chipotle Mexican Grill Nate Appleman recently weighed in on the chain's food priorities, saying:

"Natural is another nebulous term. According to the USDA, food is natural if it doesn't contain artificial ingredients or added color and is 'minimally processed.' It doesn't say anything about how the food was raised. When you see words like 'natural,' it's important to understand what that means to the people using the word, as its standard definition doesn't really tell you very much."

Read more of Appleman's thoughts: 5@5 - Foodservice industry buzzwords that need some explaining

Previously:
Clarified: How is genetically modified food labeled?
Clarified: What does "genetically modified" salmon mean?
Genetically modified wheat creeps into crops, concerns farmers
Farmer: My contract with Monsanto
Fishy, or a taste of the future? Our readers weigh in.
Genetically modified and altered food – can you taste the difference?

Posted by:
Filed under: Chipotle • Content Partner • Fast Food • Food Politics • GMO • TV-The Situation Room

1. BC

Great first step Chipotle! Thank you!

Please help stop the revolving door in DC that is preventing fairness in this issue:

We need 150 signatures ASAP to make it public and 100,000 by January 27, 2014.

Thank you.

December 28, 2013 at 10:41 pm |
  2. Jen

I"m sorry – but y'all need to do some research. GMO crops include those (such as corn) infused with pesticide DNA ... How is this OK? Basically you are allowing a large corporation to inject your food with toxins, and you are ok with that?!? We've always been taught to wash off our fruits and veggies to protect ourselves from these toxins... now we can't even do that since the pesticides are part of the food. You are basically eating toxins and chemicals in a form that looks like the food that mother nature provides. Good luck with that! On another note, hats off to you Chipotle for being an excellent role model and disclosing the foods that have been genetically modified. I hope other restaurants choose to follow in your footsteps. I will continue to support you and eat the non-GM food you have to offer.

August 15, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
  3. Jen

I"m sorry – but y'all need to do some research. GMO crops include corpos infused with pesticide DNA ... How is this OK? Basically you are allowing a large corporation to inject your food with toxins, and you are ok with that?!? I thought we were taught to always wash off our fruits and veggies to protect ourselves from these toxins... now we can't even do that. You are basically eating toxins and chemicals in a form that looks like the food that mother nature provides. Good luck with that! On another note, hats off to you Chipotle for being an excellent role model and disclosing the foods that have been genetically modified. I hope other restaurants choose to follow in your footsteps. I will continue to support you and eat the non-GM food you have to offer.

August 15, 2013 at 12:59 pm |
  4. carolyn

agree, much ado about nothing... quit trying to make plant breeding and farm ing the fall guy. I raise 300 acres, all family labor, have used gm corn and soybean seed for more than a decade..am i a factory farm? an industrial monster? GM crops have allowed me to compete with the biggest farms. Show me one, just one legitimate study that shows any health effects of gm seeds that you have been eating for a decade.

June 22, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
    • Animalsci89

Hello Carolyn I have been trying to get an answer to those questions for years. No one can honestly give you an exact definition of a factory farm, they just don't exist. If you say 300 acres is a factory farm I will just have 299 acres and not be a factory farm use the same equipement and products. Doesn't make sense to me, factory farm is just propaganda language that makes everyone go against AG in general.

June 25, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
  5. Brian Hartman

I don't eat at Chipotle because that kind of food doesn't agree with my stomach. However, I do think this is much ado about nothing.

Do you own a dog? Congratulations, you're the recipient of hundreds (if not thousands) of years of human-initiated genetic modification.

Do you eat corn? You don't think your corn is the same kind of corn that Native Americans ate 500 years ago, do you? Again, genetic modifications.

Luddites are really frightening sometimes.

June 21, 2013 at 1:54 am |
    • Arthur

Genetically modified doesn't mean natural breeding, such as with dogs (or people have done by saving seeds for thousands of years). It means a company such as Monsanto artificially altered the DNA in the lab, grafting in sequences from some other organism. You may still think there's no problem; but there is a difference.

June 21, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
      • Edwin

I've been unknowingly and now knowingly eating GMO foods for a very long time, and not just from Chipotle. I am the picture of health. I don't see any reason at all to stop.

June 21, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
        • carolyn

absolutely the truth!

June 22, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
      • carolyn

you need to define "natural" for me. Your saying the selection of dogs that cant even reproduce on their own is more natural? Because a company does it makes it unnatural but if you do it – its natural... come on... you want the newest technology on your phone, your computer, your car, but you want me to grow the seeds my great grandfather did, the way he did? You better plan on paying lots more for food and many more going hungry.

June 22, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
  6. Edwin

Don't care, still love the place. Only chain restaurant that sells carnitas, and they do them well.

June 20, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
  7. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

So THAT'S why I love Chipotle. Makes sense now.

June 20, 2013 at 4:02 pm |