Coffee klatsch
June 17th, 2013

Pssst! Got a sec to chat?

Consider the weekly Coffee Klatsch post as your VIP lounge – the primary comments thread for readers who'd like to chat about topics not related to the articles we're running. That way, everyone knows where to find each other, and each post's comments section remains on topic.

So, regulars: note a slight change of wording above. Since daily commenting frequency has gone down, we're going to try a little experiment and post a Klatsch on Monday, for use all week. You can always find it from the link in the left rail, or by bookmarking http://eatocracy.cnn.com/category/buzz/coffee-klatsch/. If things start to heat back up over the summer, we'll go daily again.

Got thoughts? Was last week a more useful concentration or more fragmented? We're listening.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Coffee Klatsch

1. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Daughter called me at work this morning at about 10. Had me worried for a minute. She called to say she got a new fishing pole and we should go fishing tomorrow.

Thatta girl. =)

June 22, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
    • MicheleG™

VERY nice!

June 22, 2013 at 7:06 pm |
  2. mary shannon

I grew a strawberry!!! First of many, I hope.

June 21, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
    • RichardHead

Is it one of those Topsy Turvey planter thingy's? They are pretty good,but you Gotz to keep 'em watered. Break Out the Chocolate!!!!

June 21, 2013 at 5:25 pm |
      • mary shannon

Nope, its a hanging basket with strawberry plant(s) instead of flowers, I'll try to email you a photo.

June 21, 2013 at 8:09 pm |
  3. Breaking News

Food Network WILL NOT renew Paula Deans contract....Film at 11:00. Plus she stiffed the Today Show this morning because she was " exhausted ".

June 21, 2013 at 4:59 pm |
  4. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Daughter turned 9 today. She got breakfast in bed. I don't even get that on Father's Day. 9 more years of child support. Not sure what I'll do with all my riches once I get an overnight 20% raise. Probably will just have to hand it to her directly anyway, lol.

June 21, 2013 at 4:45 pm |
    • RichardHead@Jdizz

Happy Birthday to the Female McHammerpants.

June 21, 2013 at 5:09 pm |
  5. Jerv-thought The Klatcherz might like this.

June 21, 2013 at 10:16 am |
    • Mary Shannon

LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!!

June 21, 2013 at 10:50 am |
  6. Mary Shannon

Good morning! Its got to be Friday when you start the first conference call talking about snakes....

June 21, 2013 at 9:28 am |
  7. Truth™

Good morning all, and Happy Friday!

June 21, 2013 at 8:35 am |
    • RichardHead

Good Golly, South Fork,CO. is being evacuated due to wildfires. I hope Cartman,Kenny and Butters will be alright.

June 21, 2013 at 9:46 am |
  8. Kat Kinsman

I ate Soylent today. For work. I kinda want to sever my tongue: http://instagram.com/p/ay7OR1AmWS/

June 20, 2013 at 5:33 pm |
    • MicheleG™

To quote Wikipedia: "Soylent Green was a science fiction movie released in 1973. In the movie they had soylent green ration wafers that were made from high energy plankton."

Did the plankton add much flavor.....? Nice and crunchy?

June 20, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
  9. Mary Shannon

Two "famous" people passed away yesterday....it makes me sad that the actor got all the headlines and not much was mentioned about the author, who was younger.

June 20, 2013 at 9:23 am |
    • Truth™@Mary

Saw both. I am sure there is a state of mourning going on with Dad...

June 20, 2013 at 10:11 am |
    • AleeD®@Mary S

I'm too lazy to JFGI this time. I heard that Slim Whitman passed and that guy from the sopranos (never watched it). What author is gone?

June 20, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
      • Truth™@Mistress AleeD

Vince Flynn. He was this decade's Tom Clancy. Wrote a number of counterterrorism thrillers. The shocking part is that both Gandolfini and Flynn were pretty young.

June 20, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
  10. Mary Shannon

Good morning. 6 calls scheduled for today, 5 hours in total on the phone...woo hoo, I just love Wednesdays!!

Have a good day, all.

June 19, 2013 at 9:34 am |
  11. Weeds

I ran into an interesting article. One that pique RH's interest for sure. It's about GMO crop acceptance in China. http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/07/china-gmo-idUKL4N0BY2BC20130307

I also found an interesting but slightly dated article about GMO crops in the US and Canada and I find this both interesting and somewhat concerning on several levels.
    I reserve my options until later.

June 18, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
    • RichardHead@Weeds

Thank You for posting this......Winter wheat ( or white wheat as it is known ) was recently mentioned by the USDA as an Isolated Incident,perhaps sabotage....Yet no one knows. It does make me wonder how a seed from the early 2000's could sprout 13 years later.

June 18, 2013 at 4:16 pm |
      • Weeds@RichardHead

13 years? Gotta learn more about that. What in more concerning that the discovery of wheat is the motivation, just why the wheat was tested in first place, considering there is no GMO wheat grown (except in supposed laboratory controlled environments) in the USA and Canada. Without going into paranoid theories, maybe a farmer was prepping his field for a spring crop and a patch of wheat didn't die?

June 18, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
        • RichardHead@Weeds

Many Moons ago, 2000-2001 Monsanto tested this seed in fields of many States.If I remember correctly 8 different States. Only one State ( that we know of ) Oregon has posted nationwide that this particular Farmer has found a patch of growing seed that is resistant to RoundUp ( a weed killer ) in his field. The Farmer sent samples to his local Co-Op for testing since it would not die. It was then passed on to USDA Laboratories for further analysis. So we have a 2,000 acre field,used by Monsanto during the testing period (2001 to 2004 ) and then stopped. It is Now 2013 and this Farmer finds a growing crop that does Not look like anything he planted in years. Many questions remain.....Due to germination, could this seed have blown onto the Farmers field? Was there a mix up at the Co-op during seed buying season of 2000 or early 2001?
          From my understanding,All Farmers where to destroy this seed by A. Giving back unused seed to the Co-Op, and receiving credit.....Burning or burying deep this type of seed NOT within a planting zone,or showing by record that ALL seed had been planted. It is also curious that planting was from only early 2000-2001-to early 2004 ( early wheat or white wheat ). and Not planted in this Oregon Farmers Field.
          I also asked Friendly Farmers on this Website to chime in and what I received was a wait and see attitude. I Do Not Blame them for the answers....This IS their livelyHood ,planting, will it rain,can I get a crop for Harvest. A complete Catch 22 if You know what I mean. A Mystery Indeed...Something that needs to be Investigated with a Final Answer and Scientific Proof.

June 18, 2013 at 6:40 pm |
        • RichardHead@Weeds

After reading what I wrote. let me clarify.....The Oregon Farmer NEVER planted this seed in his field.....Important. Thanks for asking as this is a True Mystery.

June 18, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
        • RichardHead@Kat

Please check the QUE--I left a post for Weeds which should Not have been Moderated...Except Here. Thank You.

June 18, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
        • Kat Kinsman

It's cleared now. I'm flying solo this week and doubling up on CNN Living, so stuff may take a moment.

June 18, 2013 at 7:30 pm |
      • RichardHead@Kat

Thank You....it's a Polack thing. What's the latest on the water fountain walls?

June 18, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
        • Kat Kinsman

Thank you for asking. No end in sight. My whole world is under tarps!

June 18, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

And in case you missed it: http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2013/06/19/genetically-modified-wheat-creeps-into-crops-concerns-farmers/

June 20, 2013 at 10:20 am |
      • RichardHead@Kat Kinsman

Thank You for the follow up on the GMO wheat article and please Thank Mrs. Elam for her story. As you know this concerns me as a hauler of produce of all types, including wheat which does not fall into this category. At least it doesn't in my mind....It's bagged,tagged and ready to be taken to a Port somewhere in the U.S. for export.
        My concern Kat is this....Does a Reporter do background information on a story before reporting it? I mean a complete background with multiple sources before actually reporting? I Hope they do since SLT has found out that Commander Crunch is NOT an actual Captain. It's a sad Day in the Cereal world. Sniff,sniff.

June 20, 2013 at 3:40 pm |
        • Kat Kinsman

There are alllllll kinds of reporters. And the good ones - like the ones I work with - don't put a word on the screen without doing their homework. That's not to say there won't be more of a story revealed later and the rabbit hole won't eventually go deeper. But yeah - multiple sources is key. We don't just take people at their word and we sniff hard for agendas.

June 20, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
        • RichardHead@Kat Kinsman

Thank You...and my condolences to SLT. Also, please tell Ms. Sara Sidner she is still a Babe even when I watched her on Fox 4 in Dallas. She is a True Reporter.

June 20, 2013 at 4:06 pm |
  12. Mary Shannon

Morning! Sunny day here so far, I hope same for Kat and that yesterday's round of storms didn't make your situation any worse.

Another q for Kat: I've written a short piece on customer service and how companies need to adjust their procedures to deal with their aging customer base....do you know of anyone who might want to use it?

June 18, 2013 at 8:53 am |
    • Weeds

Out of pure curiosity, why how does the aging customer base require special customer service. I'd think age shouldn't matter if it's good customer service.

June 18, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
      • Mary Shannon

That's just the point, most customer service these days, especially in what I consider utilities, cable, phone, etc. is not good customer service. Just consider for a moment calling your provider and facing one of those "push 1 for this, 2 for that" but not being able to hear the choices or push the button in time. Even for the non-aging its easy to get stuck in a loop...

June 19, 2013 at 7:54 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

Oh! I'm interested. Where is it posted? I run into this frequently while dining with my nearly-90 MIL.

June 18, 2013 at 8:16 pm |
      • Mary Shannon

Not posted yet because I haven't found a forum. I'm happy to email it to you if you want to read it.

June 19, 2013 at 7:55 am |
  13. Weeds

With daily klatsches, discussions ended with the day. Having a weekly would allow a better flow of thoughts and this could be a good thing, most of the time.

June 18, 2013 at 2:56 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

I like this flow, because not everyone comes every day. Am open to differing opinions.

June 20, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
  14. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Where did you come from, where did you go, where did you come from, cotton-eyed Joe?

June 17, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

They look happy, no?

June 17, 2013 at 7:08 pm |
      • Weeds

Bliss

June 18, 2013 at 2:49 am |
  15. Turth™

Good morning all, from a more seasonable Denver. Nice weekend out here.

Some happy news here...Just scored some PRIMO seats to take Mary Shannon to see one of her favs this fall. Should be fun.

How was everyone's weekend?

June 17, 2013 at 12:26 pm |
  16. Mary Shannon

Good morning, ever-, ummm, AleeD. Guess "everyone" is not such an accurate phrase anymore, sad to see. How was your weekend? I took Friday off so mine was even better.

June 17, 2013 at 8:49 am |
    • AleeD®@Mary S

Howdee noice laydee. Had a can-o-worms kinda weekend – opened one up with the hubby and am dealing with the fallout. Not a bad can, but one that needed to be opened. Saw "After Earth" too. Good father/son relationship story. Perfect for Father's day. :)

I bugged out early Friday then found out this morning that someone commandeered some of my time for today. *Evil Grin goes here* I put the kabash on that um-mediately. We will not have that kind of behavior here. SSSSCrack!

June 17, 2013 at 10:44 am |
      • Weeds

Left the toilet seat up again, eh?

June 18, 2013 at 2:57 am |
        • AleeD®@Weeds

Funny. It was a can o'communication. FTR, when he's coming in behind me, I'll put the seat up for him.

June 18, 2013 at 6:50 am |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

^ hehe

June 19, 2013 at 3:41 pm |
  17. AleeD®

Cat in the Hat, Fiddler on the Roof, Man in the Box. Other than the Alice in Chain reference, how did that go Turth™?

June 17, 2013 at 6:42 am |