Coffee klatsch
June 10th, 2013

Pssst! Got a sec to chat?

Consider the weekly Coffee Klatsch post as your VIP lounge – the primary comments thread for readers who'd like to chat about topics not related to the articles we're running. That way, everyone knows where to find each other, and each post's comments section remains on topic.

So, regulars: note a slight change of wording above. Since daily commenting frequency has gone down, we're going to try a little experiment and post a Klatsch on Monday, for use all week. You can always find it from the link in the left rail, or by bookmarking http://eatocracy.cnn.com/category/buzz/coffee-klatsch/. If things start to heat back up over the summer, we'll go daily again.

Got thoughts? We're always open to hear 'em.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Coffee Klatsch • Uncategorized

« Previous entry
  1. AleeD®

Well happy Saddidee to all. Once a week now, eh? Maybe that'll do when I get MUCH older – like Rich's age. ^_^ Oh, wait ... we were talking about the frequency of the Klatsch thread. Silly me.

June 15, 2013 at 11:36 am |
  2. wheezer58

Well, now that this is a weekly thing, I will try to keep up. Work most Mondays so, will check in as early in the week as possible.

June 14, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
  3. The good old days.

Evil Grin

That's a lot to read into a name. But here's another way of looking at it.

The suffix "cracy" is borrowed from the greek term meaning "rule" or "ruling force". Yes that can be equated to government. But instead, equate the "rule" or "ruling force" to mean "an elevated position that drives action". In that case, Eatocracy would be translated to "Food as a driving force", or "Food RULES!"

When you look at it that way, the name fits not only the subject of the blog, but the prevailing attitude of its users.

May 10, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Reply

June 14, 2013 at 9:13 am |
  4. AleeD®

Happy Friday all! Any big plans for the weakend?

I see we're being green: recycle the Klatsch – save the planet:. "link on the left" Hmmm, spelunking for the lounge. Does this means we're going to be renamed iKlatsch?

June 14, 2013 at 7:16 am |
    • Turth™

Good morning my darlin', and happy Friday. Interesting weekend ahead. Tonight, I am taking part in a "poverty simulation" called "Night in a Box", where I'll, well, spend the night in a box. It is part of an effort to raise awareness of homelessness in the Denver area. Should be interesting.

But all that said, this classic scene comes to mind:

June 14, 2013 at 8:44 am |
  5. Truth™

Good morning all, from a Denver that is covered with a smoky haze...We've gotten the warnings today about the elderly and those with COPD issues to stay inside...Firefighters are a rare breed. Thank one if you ever meet one.

June 13, 2013 at 9:32 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

Stay so very, very safe, please!

June 13, 2013 at 12:18 pm |
      • Truth™@Kat

Many thanks there, Darlin', and I also wish you the best with your housing situation...

One positive thing that I have seen on the non-stop news coverage is that many of the folks who have lost their homes are so thankful to have gotten out with their loved ones and pets. I think there is a huge lesson there.

None of the fires are anywhere near the homestead, but I have the cat's carrier near the front door all the same.

June 13, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
        • Kat Kinsman

Oh man - natural disasters are always so huge, it's hard to comprehend and it's inevitably the pets that reduce me to a teary blob. Keep that kitty close to you!

June 13, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
  6. Jerv

So since traffic is down in the Klatsch, it gets buried in the main page and is no longer listed in the recent posts. Like I said before, it was fun while it lasted. Have a wonderful life everyone.

June 13, 2013 at 9:03 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

There's that link at the left or this http://eatocracy.cnn.com/category/buzz/coffee-klatsch/ available at all times. Like I said, this is an experiment and we'll take a little poll tomorrow.

June 13, 2013 at 9:15 am |
    • Shirely U Jest @ Jerv

Don't be so down Jerv, all is not lost. You're not loosing your social life. You can still troll the Marquee Blog. And pretty soon there's bound to be another vegetarian article we can stir things up in. Come on, let's go find some trouble, that'll cheer you up.

June 13, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
  7. The Witty One

What's shaking folks?

June 12, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
    • Truth™@TWO

Not much here. Trying to stay out of the heat...How are things in your neck of the woods?

June 12, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
      • The Witty One@Truth

Same ol' same ol'. Work is crazy. Got put on a huge client so they are keeping me pretty busy. I have a new friend with benefits to keep me company on these warm virginia nights. All in all, life is really good right now and I am probably happier then I have been in a loooong time.

How's the wifey? Been doing any hunting/fishing?

June 12, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
        • AleeD®@TWO

"VIRGIN NIGHTS?!?" Who are you kidding?!

Oh ... my bad.

June 12, 2013 at 2:33 pm |
  8. Truth™

Good morning all from a too toasty Denver. At last count, five wildfires broke out amongst yesterday's 101 degree heat. Not going to be a good summer.

How is everyone doing today?

June 12, 2013 at 8:29 am |
    • Mary Shannon

Nothing near you, I hope! Stay safe.

June 12, 2013 at 8:40 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

Just desperately hoping it stops raining in my house at sometime in the near future.

June 12, 2013 at 9:17 am |
      • Weeds

Raining IN your house? Have you tried closing the windows :) There is small talk of conditions working to ideal for a Derecho today, blowing from Ohio to D.C.

June 12, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
        • Kat Kinsman

Ha! Sadly, no luck. It's seeping from the roof into the walls, and the ceiling has been coming down around us with the water. It suuuuuucks.

June 12, 2013 at 5:12 pm |
        • Truth™@Kat

Please tell me that you rent, so this is some landlord's problem...This has structural damage written all over it...

June 12, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
  9. suj

Blame RH and his rantings about how this eatocracy section is bogged with frou frou, infomercials and the 1 or 2 weekly troll articles.

June 11, 2013 at 11:03 am |
  10. AleeD®

This could become a very long thread if it's our last one.

June 11, 2013 at 7:28 am |
    • Jerv

Agreed. My Grandmother used to say change is a good thing, AleeD. I suppose I agree with that. I've been so busy with work and helping Pops sell his house I really can't post as frequently as I used to. It's been loads of fun while it lasted.

June 11, 2013 at 7:50 am |
    • Truth™@AleeD, Jerv

Last thread?!?!?!

Holy office boredom Batman! Who said anything about discontinuing The Klatch???

June 11, 2013 at 8:20 am |
      • Kat Kinsman

Last? Not discontinuing – just making weekly. I actually think it'll help the conversation flow better.

June 11, 2013 at 9:21 am |
        • Sir Biddle

The current flow is more like a trickle at best. Just rip the band-aid off, we'll survive.

June 11, 2013 at 9:50 am |
        • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I wondered where it's been the last few days.

June 12, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
    • Sir Biddle

See you all at the reunion in 5 years.

June 11, 2013 at 8:52 am |
    • Mary Shannon

Perhaps a point is being made here.

June 11, 2013 at 9:23 am |
  11. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

I can't think of anything to write that doesn't sound racist, which I am not. However, communicating humor through a keyboard is tough sometimes.

June 10, 2013 at 11:24 am |
  12. Photo Caption™

After seeing what his dad does all day, James decides that "Bring your child to work day" is pretty cool after all...

June 10, 2013 at 11:07 am |
    • JBJingles

*like*

June 10, 2013 at 11:19 am |
  13. Mary Shannon

Morning! More rain headed our way, I think April moved to June this year.

June 10, 2013 at 11:02 am |
  14. MicheleG™

Howdy HO! Hi and see you later AleeD. You WILL be back, right?

June 10, 2013 at 10:24 am |
    • AleeD®@MicG™

Nope.

Hahahahahahahah!

June 10, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
      • MicheleG™

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwwww................we're gonna miss you!

June 10, 2013 at 3:48 pm |
  15. AleeD®

Rich gets to crack the whip today as it seems he's already warmed up. *ceremonially hands it over* You GO, Bro!

To all, if you missed it, check out the lounge's thread on 6/6 (6?). Don't piss off our most eloquent, and excellent, trucker. Have a mun Funday.

June 10, 2013 at 6:57 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Yeah, he was on fire that day.

June 10, 2013 at 11:21 am |