May 23rd, 2013
10:30 AM ET
Share this on:

You could call this a case of an early bird not wanting to catch the worm.

All high school student Derrick Holt wanted was a quick bite to eat when he purchased a Sausage McMuffin at a McDonald’s in Buckeye, Arizona.

What he says he got was a disgusting surprise, a stomach problem that’s kept him out of school and mixed messages from the restaurant that served him.

Holt took a picture of the mystery object and posted it on Facebook. As you might expect, the photo has gone viral and sparked debate.

Watch the video to see the surprise Holt said he found in his sandwich, as well as McDonald’s response to the controversy.

Do you think the worm is the real deal? What's the worst thing you've ever found in your food? Let us know in the comments below.

Previously:
Where to eat insects in the U.S.
Eat insects, save the world says U.N.
The case for eating insects
Health department bugs out over grasshopper tacos
I scream, you scream, we all scream when there are cicadas in the ice cream

Posted by:
Filed under: Fast Food • Insects • McDonald's


soundoff (11 Responses)
  1. Sandra

    I found glass in my milkshake at McDonald's once but that's about it. Nothing disgusting but definitely dangerous. Probably some sick person trying to kill some kid.

    September 27, 2014 at 10:08 am |
  2. Jacquie Lumantas

    Whats up! I simply wish to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice data you may have right here on this post. I will likely be coming again to your weblog for extra soon.

    August 10, 2013 at 3:53 am |
  3. Keith Arundel

    I found your weblog web site on google and examine a couple of of your early posts. Proceed to maintain up the superb operate. I simply extra up your RSS feed to my MSN Information Reader. Looking for ahead to studying extra from you in a while!

    August 7, 2013 at 4:14 pm |
  4. Ruthe Pirie

    Hello! I just would like to give a huge thumbs up for the great info you've gotten here on this post. I will be coming back to your blog for more soon.

    August 4, 2013 at 6:44 am |
  5. Coda

    At Dallas BBQ's. There was a rather large part of the grill in with the BBQ ribs. It was actually hard to see at first. That was about 5 years ago, but quite odd and memorable.

    May 24, 2013 at 3:24 pm |
  6. Spidey-Man

    great... sitting here and eating McDonalds and now I'm looking before every bite.

    May 24, 2013 at 12:18 pm |
  7. Beefburger

    A burger while at a Denny's that was tasting odd like some sort of cleaner, halfway though finding a strand from a metal scrub pad.... Another time I had severe food poisoning for a week including migrane headache and barfing from bad ranch dressing, also night shift at Denny's. Note: In Las Vegas, city of 6,000 resturants, some of the finest dinning in the world.. DON'T EAT AT DENNY'S, ESPECIALLY GRAVEYARD SHIFT! It means the cook is so awful that he couldn't get a day job at ANY of the other restuarants in the city!

    May 24, 2013 at 7:42 am |
  8. Edwin

    I have a feeling McD's is going to be sued no matter what the outcome is, if nothing else for the kid's medical bills.

    The worst thing I ever found was what looked like splinters off a wooden spoon in some pasta I ordered. I hadn't been rude or anything so I definitely think it was an accident. The manager comped our meal and gave us vouchers for a free meal. I was happy with that.

    May 23, 2013 at 5:46 pm |
  9. Liz

    I'm ... really really glad right now I gave up 90% of the fast food chains i used to go to now....I hope the kids ok but if he's not McDonalds is in for a serious lawsuit from that kid's parents.

    May 23, 2013 at 3:56 pm |
  10. .

    Yep, Im FIRST again!

    May 23, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
    • Edwin

      Your parents must be so proud.

      May 23, 2013 at 5:43 pm |
 
| Part of