Heart Attack Grill's top patron dies of a heart attack
February 13th, 2013

John Alleman visited the Heart Attack Grill so often, the restaurant designed an entire line of clothing featuring a cartoon of its beloved "Patient Joe," and placed his face front and center on their menu. Now the restaurant reports via its Facebook page that its most loyal patron has passed away at age 52, from a heart attack.

The nighttime construction site security guard was never officially on the restaurant's payroll, but he was such a fixture at the Downtown Las Vegas restaurant, encouraging passersby to come in, he came to be known as its unofficial spokesman.

According to the Las Vegas Sun, Alleman suffered a heart attack while waiting for a bus in front of the restaurant, which boasts highly caloric menu items such as the 9,982 calorie Quadruple Bypass Burger, Butterfat Milkshakes and Coronary Dogs.

Alleman remained at Sunrise Hospital until his brother Paul, his only surviving relative, made the decision to remove him from life support on Monday. Alleman passed away soon after.

A statement on the restaurant's Facebook page read, "To all who've given hopes and prayers for John's struggle in the cardio vascular unit, it ended humanely this morning at 10am. Dr Andy and Dr Jon were at bedside as John slipped into the next world. WE LOVE YOU BROTHER!"

"Dr. Jon" refers to Heart Attack Grill's owner Jon Basso. He is neither a medical professional nor a stranger to controversy - or loss of his most avid fans. The restaurant's previous 575-pound spokesman, 29-year-old Blair River, died in March 2011 at the age of 29. In February 2012, the restaurant made headlines when another patron suffered a heart attack while eating a Triple Bypass Burger.

Heart Attack Grill is perhaps best known for actively courting fans and nayayers alike with slogans like "Taste worth dying for!" and "Cash only, because you might die before the check clears."

Menu items like lard-fried "Flatliner Fries," highly caloric "Butterfat Shakes" and unfiltered cigarettes abound, scantily clad female servers dressed as nurses take orders as "prescriptions," and a house policy allows diners weighing over 350 pounds to eat for free.

Basso told the Las Vegas Sun that he currently has no plans to alter the Grill's menu, though it will remain closed the day of Alleman's funeral.

Previously - Man suffers heart attack while eating "Triple Bypass" burger at Heart Attack Grill

1. squirk

One with a history background would be better able to say 'no' or 'yes' to this: Is not one of the hallmarks of a declining civilization decadence? Is what the 'Heart Attack Grill's message conveys is that of decadence?

February 17, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
  2. Lisa

Sorry he died but the name of the restaurant says it all. This is not health fare and if you regularly eat this kind of food, your chances of being healthy (and alive) are slim.

February 17, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
  3. empresstrudy

I imagine if this was a black guy at Popeye's

February 16, 2013 at 9:57 am |
  4. KenF

Well, at least their marketing is truthful....

February 16, 2013 at 9:33 am |
  5. Rynomite

I'm sure some fatty died of a heart attack after eating Pizza Hut or McDonalds yesterday. That didn't make the news....

February 15, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
  6. 741am

Mama said that life is like a box of greasy covered chocolate flavored cholesterol filled cheese dipped saute'ed hamburger bun topped fried dead animal meat luggin' BURGER!

February 14, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
    • cowstastegood

I sure love mama.

February 14, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
      • ohsnap

LOVE your name! LOL

February 17, 2013 at 6:21 pm |
  7. cowstastegood

RIP. I bet someone died jogging or choking on a carrot the same day.

February 14, 2013 at 11:12 am |
    • debbie338

If you think those things are equivalent to actually causing your own heart attack, you failed logic 101.

February 14, 2013 at 8:19 pm |
    • JJ

There's a t-shirt that says: "Eat right. Exercise. Die Anyway."

February 17, 2013 at 10:42 am |
      • Ruggero

Another one says: "Eat right. Exercise. Die later."

February 17, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
  8. Amber

Talking about shutting down that restaurant is crazy.
    They have a perfectly regular sized cheeseburger on the menu, but that won't make the headlines (and it's delicious). It's a themed restaurant, the 9,000 calorie is the biggest burger on the menu (it's like 5 burgers in one). It's what they are known for but I doubt they sell too many a day.

February 14, 2013 at 10:55 am |
  9. VladT

Favorite theme of the day on this thread: The people who like to spout off the only partially true "I/we pay for his medical bills blah blah blah." Do you even know how medical billing works? What pays for what? If he had his own private insurance that is not your company, and it doesn't increase your rates, would you be less angry? Are you equally angry at the skinny person who goes to the ER once a month for non-emergent conditions? Are you upset that medicaid only pays 15% on average of a medical bill, thereby also making the rest of us who pay out of pocket pay more to help hospitals recoup the loss?

But nope, its just this fat guy's fault

February 14, 2013 at 7:09 am |
    • VladT

Most of you are just uptight to the fact that you don't like his behavior, and you can't control it. You seriously want to close down this business because of one moron's lack of self control? Using that logic, we should close down car dealerships, because a lot of people don't adhere to the speed limit, which can lead to accidents and deaths.

February 14, 2013 at 7:18 am |
      • 741am

Take down your imagined alleged Purported Psychic Power degree VladT for you so don't know what anyone is thinking. If that is not true then perhaps you can tell all what his thoughts were 24/7/365 not to mention moments before he stepped into his grave!

February 14, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
        • VladT

I didn't realize I was a member of the "PPP," since it is all capitalized one must assume it is an awesome club. As being psychic, no....I just read a lot of posts of people stating asinine statements about how obese people ruin the medical bills of us "normal folk," when it is obvious they do not have a clear understanding of how medical billing works

February 15, 2013 at 3:26 am |
        • 741am

Assumptions and the obvious...well, there it is. About this delay in response...any assumptions or applicable ideas of things obvious? Feel free.

April 14, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
    • cowstastegood

He only weighed 180 lbs.

February 14, 2013 at 11:07 am |
      • its Karma

what happened to both of his parents dying of heart attacks in their 50"s?

oh yeah...

that would make him(and you) an idiot on top of everything else.

He knew he had a genetic issue and still ate a "heart unhealthy" diet.

That is like having both parents die of colon cancer and scoffing at a colonoscopy.

Or knowing you are a diabetic and still drinking a 2 liter bottle of Mountain Dew everyday.

February 14, 2013 at 6:26 pm |
        • VladT

Haha....never was defending his intelligence

February 15, 2013 at 8:21 am |
    • RobinM

Sorry Vlad, you are flat wrong. I do know how it all works, and I have been involved in the negotiations to procure a medium sized group plan. I live in a town of Constitutionalist, TeaParty Hogs, and because so many people are morbidly obese, have Type II Diabetes, and have had major health claims related to diseases that people choose to get because of gluttony, my skinny vegan family has to pay premiums of $1100 per month. If we had a healthier group, our premuims would be about $700/mo. So basically, my family pays an extra $400 per month because of the fat lady in the office next to me. I rightly blame her, and her fat ilk.

Once a guy gets so fat he can't even work anymore, he gets medicare, and we all pay for it.

Health costs of people with Type II Diabetes run on everage $6000/year more than everyone else.

Oh, and we cannot discriminate against morbidly obese people in any employment decisions.

My solution: Make all products that are linked to social costs taxed to the degree of their expense, so that only people who choose to partake in unhealthy lifestyle choices pay for the cost of healthcare related to those choices. If you have one Big Mac a year you aren't doing much damage and will pay a very small health care premium, But if you have two thousand calories in fast food every day, you should be paying about $5.00 a day toward your future medical fund.

February 14, 2013 at 6:14 pm |
      • VladT

Actually, not flat wrong. I work in medical compensation...good try though. Also, rather then keep it neutral, you turned into the ultra-liberal extremist espousing your hatred for all meat lovers who may or may not be republican re: "tea party hogs." I must have missed the memo where all vegans never die of heart attacks. But yes.....many, many, and yes, repeat many different factors affecting medical payment and compensations. I decided to repeat becuase its possible your brain may not be getting enough natural protein ( shaped tofu into with beef flavoring doesn't count ). Perhaps it is your lack of protein that is making you so ornery.

You know, your skinny, twig boy, non-showering hippy vegan trash.

For the record, a proud moderate who doesn't believe that, but I despise people like you who can't discuss anything without demonstrating your partisan hatred for the other side. Perfect demonstration of what is truly wrong with this country. Enjoy your wheat germ

February 15, 2013 at 8:19 am |
      • MedBiz

I second Robin's suggestion to allow for any such food but tax it according to the societal cost. Eat all you want – but not on my bill.

March 12, 2013 at 12:12 am |
    • Accountable?

Well, every time it takes 3 extra people to move a patient, the other patients wait. Every time a healthcare worker goes out on disability from injuries sustained lifting / moving/ scanning obese patients, all workers pay. When hospitals have to buy specialized equipment produced solely for 450+ lb patients, every insured patient pays.

Obese patients simply take more resources, and *most* (not all) of them arrived at that condition voluntarily. It's not surprising that marketing this lifestyle is offensive to some.

February 17, 2013 at 11:56 am |
  10. Bigdog

I might ask for a meal from there...if I was on death row!

February 14, 2013 at 2:22 am |
  11. jdoe

This is sad news. On the other hand, I don't see how people can keep a straight face at his funeral.

February 14, 2013 at 1:54 am |
  12. GiGi Eats Celebrities

I am really NOT surprised at all. I do love me a burger, but not a 2000 calories in a sitting burger. I love a grass-fed/finished burger with grilled veggies. Not a corn fed burger with fried onion rings, french fries, bacon, cheese, and oh so much more!

February 13, 2013 at 11:33 pm |
  13. anburger

I bet that was the most delicious death ever. I would try that place, and enjoy the most fattening meal I've ever had. Might as well.

February 13, 2013 at 11:00 pm |
  14. lolburger

I can go to McDonald's and eat 100 hamburgers and milkshakes and kill myself overnight too, just because this restaurant has condensed it all into a single meal doesnt mean you are any less responsible for eating it. This isnt poison, it's food. You can overinduldge in almost anything. To me the food sounds disgusting, but if someone told me I have to try a butter milkshake before I die, I'd gladly take them up on it, because I KNOW MY LIMITS. Someone this fat was going to die from obesity one way or the other, eating at this restaurant had little to do with it.

February 13, 2013 at 10:43 pm |
    • cowstastegood

He only weighed 180 lbs.

February 14, 2013 at 11:22 am |
      • a fat skinny myself

Believe it or not, there are actually skinny fat people. He may have only weighted 180 pounds, but if he had a body fat percentage north of 30, he would most certainly be fat, if not obease. I know because I'm 5'10" and 138 pounds...but my bodyfat % is 24. If you look at me, you'd think, boy, she is skinny. You just can't see my fat because it is hiding around my organs. And before anyone gets after me about sharing this, I AM doing something about this situation. I have started going to the gym 4 times a week and have cut out sugar and refined carbs. Wish me luck.

February 17, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
  15. Roger

Another dumb redneck bites the big burger... the GOP loses another vote.

February 13, 2013 at 10:31 pm |
  16. Allen Willis

Dr. Jack Kevorkian, the medical pathologist who willfully helped dozens of terminally ill people end their lives, same thing here knowing and willingly administering a lethal dose to someone. Heart attack grill should be shut down. there are crazy people eating there.

February 13, 2013 at 10:23 pm |
    • sam stone

what kevorkian was doing was illegal, although i did not find it particularly immoral. what the heart attack grill is doing is not illegal. it should be shut down, but not by authorities of any kind, but by people refusing to eat their garbage.

February 14, 2013 at 4:40 am |
    • ohsnap

Shut them down? Oh please. If people are stupid enough not to make regular, GOOD choices about food, that is their problem. I love a good hamburger with fries but I have sense enough to know that if I eat bad food all the time it's going to affect my health. People need to stop blaming other people for THEIR bad choices. Personal responsibility!

February 17, 2013 at 6:26 pm |
  17. Justin H

Well; with a name like "heart attack grill," you sort of know what you're getting going into it all :) Still, I don't think governments should be shutting down restaurants, and frankly, I believe in individual reponsibility. These are grown adults who can make their own choices; these are NOT children! And yes, anything can happen to anybody (I'm a schoolteacher; look at what happened in Newtown, which is less than an hour from where I live! There are also people who get ALS without any family history of anything; look at all the people that got leukemia after hiroshima, or lung cancer after 9/11; I knew someone who was perfectly healthy, and now he's in recovery from a stroke at 47, and he's a doctor no less), but a lot of people seem to use that as an excuse to neglect their bodies in some cases (which is why places like heart attack grill exist in the first place) , and I cannot help but think that some of these people WANT to die (I know quite a few of them personally). Some have even told me they can't wait to go "up the chimney..."

I try not to think that way, but to each one's own, I guess. We DO all have a date with the reaper. If you want to meet him sooner, go ahead. It's your life.

February 13, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
  18. Laughing at Liberal Hypocrites

You Liberals are such Hypocrites its pathetic, your probably the same ones that whine that its our body and the government shouldnt tell us what to do with our body, then when something you dont like comes you want the government to control what people do with their bodies! DAMN YOU LIBERALS ARE SUCH HYPOCRITES ITS PATHETIC!

February 13, 2013 at 10:17 pm |
    • Cissy

Careful there crazyrant, you might have a heart attack!

February 13, 2013 at 10:39 pm |
    • lolburger

lol and you're probably a typical republican "stay out my business, but please enter my womb".

February 13, 2013 at 10:40 pm |
    • sam stone

nothing like a sweeping generalization, eh laughing?

February 14, 2013 at 4:43 am |
    • 741am

741am says: Weighing in on the scale in this corner, the overweight Elephant (think kinda like a Shrek-like image) tipping those scales and lumbering along, but representing the Right (wrong) and in the other corner, representing the left, comes along so slowly (not! just more cautious), the Donkey (think like an animal image of a, well, donkey slowly walking along a fiscal cliff, or any cliff, neither in front, or behind, an elephant trying to do the same) and well, there's those images. I so know this invites a touche' so feel free, and creative, like a hella crazy built heart busting burger. Excuse the latter for I, I, so couldn't help myself (not!).

February 14, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
  19. less

The US needs bars where they can take all the dope they want, as long as they don't drive, or take any dope home. Sleep it off in their own juices. I expect a few loyal Thinkers freqeunting these bars to OD, a whole bunch to attempt to drive, flaunting the law, and of course, dope would found in every orifice of those leaving. Oh, and most of them will be overweight patrons.

February 13, 2013 at 9:43 pm |
    • Cissy

Haven't you ever seen Law and Order? Dope fiends are skin and bones.

February 13, 2013 at 10:42 pm |
  20. devin

On the bright side, beats starving to death as a child on the plains of Ethiopia. Just a matter of perspective I guess.

February 13, 2013 at 9:40 pm |
  21. AC summers

If people want to eat themselves to an early grave then what can anyone do but let them. As long as Im not billed. I cant fault a business for providing the food. Its a persons choice to buy the food and eat it.....

February 13, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
  22. sqeptiq

We should franchise it and put one in every city. The more middle-age coronaries, the fewer who will use their medicare and Social Security. The country is overpopulated with idiots and the herd needs to be thinned out.

February 13, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
    • costrainreview

Frankly, I agree with out 100%

February 14, 2013 at 11:29 am |
    • cowstastegood

...as you text and drive.

February 14, 2013 at 11:39 am |
  23. Heebeejeebee

The way food is used in our (American) culture like this restaurant, hot dog & pie eating contests, etc. Just disgusting.

February 13, 2013 at 8:50 pm |
    • barru

I totally agree. When one meal, or the calories consumed, could feed a whole family in need it disgusts me. That "man vs food" show was so wrong on so many levels. I only caught it once and after that was surprised that guy didn't keel over!

February 13, 2013 at 9:07 pm |
    • Laughing at Liberal Hypocrites

February 13, 2013 at 10:16 pm |
      • No Hypocrite

Apparently there are no conservative hypocrites, just liberal hypocrites. When somone as bright as you is laughing at them, do liberals have anything to worry about?

February 14, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
        • cowstastegood

Not unless someone tells them there is.

February 14, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
  24. deadass

If someone wants to eat themselves to death, so be it. Just don't ask the tax payer or the insurance company to pay for their stupidity. Frankly, with so many stupid people in the world I wish there was a Heart Attach Grill on every corner.

February 13, 2013 at 8:45 pm |
    • proud to be a Veggie

HA HA

TOTALLY AGREE:)

February 13, 2013 at 8:48 pm |
    • sam stone

why limit it to eating? why not smoking, or drinking, or sitting on your a$$ and not getting any exercise?

February 14, 2013 at 4:49 am |
  25. Monte

You are what you eat.

February 13, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
    • Kat

AMEN:)

February 13, 2013 at 8:45 pm |
  26. Billy-Bob

Black people steal.

February 13, 2013 at 7:55 pm |
    • Mark Collins

What does this inane comment have to do with the story?

February 13, 2013 at 8:21 pm |
      • Leon N

It proves that Billy-Bobs are generally inbred

February 13, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
      • deadass

Dude, does he have to put "Troll " in his handle or what ? Being a troll is fun, and it's actually more productive than you might think. For example; all the folks that think they are really smart and contributing positive input to the dialog are really just spinning their wheels. However, we trolls, through simply spreading a little hate, tossing some bad bait, or otherwise screwing with folks, are actually having an impact. We help people to have a crappy day.

February 13, 2013 at 8:52 pm |
        • Billy-Bob

Black people steal.

February 13, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
    • overed

Billy! Is that any way to talk about your mother?

February 13, 2013 at 9:27 pm |
      • sqeptiq

Billy didn't have a mother; he had a bad gene donor.

February 13, 2013 at 9:31 pm |
  27. me

I love watching idiots voluntarily remove themselves from the gene pool. Natural selection at work.

February 13, 2013 at 7:53 pm |
    • girly girl

BEST comment so far!!!!!

HAHAHA

February 13, 2013 at 8:47 pm |
  28. MIchael

I have never been to the heart attack grill, but if I was in LV and came across it, I might go in there just for the hell of it and have a meal. One horribly excessive meal now and then does not make it out to be a life time of indulgence. The poor fellow that died obviously ate there alot, and who know if his meals there killed him or a faulty heart valve, etc. This country would be a whole lot better place if people would worry about their own lives and leave others to their own business. For those who slam overweight people, there are alot of people out there that are their size because of medical issues, after effects from injury, thyroid, heredity, etc. Not everyone who is overweight just pulls up a chair to a buffet with a knife and fork. For example, I am 6'5" and a big guy, I had my knee destroyed in a car accident and am not able to be active as I used to be and have put on more weight from being less active, being literally every step I take is pain. Does that mean I make poor choices and should be stigmatized? No. Sorry to have ranted, just tired of seeing people who throw stones at others for no other reason to just throw the stones.

February 13, 2013 at 7:47 pm |
    • jcoltran

Then again, doctors have made it clear that genetic and medical problems related to weight control can be overcome if the will is there to do so. And I'm sorry about your knee. Have you tried alternate workout methods? I'm not contradicting you when you say that we should stop applying stigma to overweight people, but I think using these things as excuses would set the example that you don't have to work if you think you have a good enough reason. That's a big enough problem in America as it is,

February 13, 2013 at 8:56 pm |
      • MIchael

I've never made an excuse in my life and don't get me wrong, I am not implying you were saying I was. Not that the masses care, but to satisfy your curiousity being you asked, I still try to walk as much as possible, basically I was rear-ended on a freeway offramp that I was stopped in traffic on, and my knee slammed into the dash at the impact, the menisucus was shredded and most of it had to be removed via surgery. The ortho stated that due to the removal it is wearing unevenly and eventually will be bone on bone and have to have the knee replaced. Unfortunately the general rule is that they won't do the replacement until it is bone on bone which could be years. The part above and beyond that is salt on the wound per se is that I have reaction to NSAID's which are anti-imflamatories, Advil, Ibuprofen, Celebrex, etc and can't take them, so its tolerate the pain by day so I can work and function being I refuse to just sit on a couch and collect disability, etc. and then its a narcotic prescription at night if the pain gets to the point I can't tolerate it. So basically I'm in a lose lose situation. I am sure I am not the only one who has to deal with issues like this. I used to play basketball, volleyball, walk all over the place, used to take cruises and if anyone has ever taken a cruise, they know you walk all over the place and then some being the ship is nearly 1000ft long not to mention when you are off the ship. I agree with you that is a big problem in the USA, it just needs to be addressed as the medical issue that it is and not as a stigma from those who have never had to deal with it personally.

February 14, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
        • Sunset

Michael, I'm a tall guy and I have had a couple of major injuries. I decided not to listen to the doctors and am looking after myself. I keep my weight down and my body responds. There are exercises, other than walking, that will keep you in shape, and there are food related things you can do to keep your weight in check. Combining those will make things a lot easier on your knee. You can't just accept what doctors tell you. They are always presenting worst case scenarios so you won't sue them for giving them too positive an outlook.

February 14, 2013 at 2:29 pm |
  29. Schmedley

Well, the name definitely isn't hyperbole or false advertising...

Honestly, eating something like that every now and then isn't bad for you. It's just that the guy ate it all the time. If you eat nothing but broccoli day in and day out, it's probably not good for you either.

February 13, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
  30. Michael

Isn't this assisted suicide?

February 13, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
  31. Bgvfvcvvg

Natural selection at work.

February 13, 2013 at 7:24 pm |
  32. JPoet

What irony, what Pynchon novel is this from.

February 13, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
  33. Peter

Ignoring the facts on health will lead to death. Laughing won't change that, just like denying climate change won't change what's in store for all of us.

February 13, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • Patrick

Witness Chris Christie and the very unfunny eating of doughnuts on Letterman. Republicans just want to do what feels good in the moment with no concern for consequences, be it cutting taxes with no concern for the deficit, flooding the country with guns with no concern for the victims of gun crimes, pumping pollutants with no concern for the air we breathe or the water we drink or the food we eat, or pandering to religious extremists with no concern for the human rights being violated and the pain being caused.

February 13, 2013 at 7:27 pm |
      • John

Bravo.

February 13, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
      • packerpauly

What in the world does your political ranting have to do with this story?

February 13, 2013 at 8:42 pm |
        • John

Nothing at all but, like a number of my liberal friends,it makes him feel better.

February 13, 2013 at 8:46 pm |
      • John

Wow! Srereotype much....or did you just have a bad day? I'm so glad that we conservatives have you liberals to take care of us. We're all way too stupid to make personal decisions on our own.

February 13, 2013 at 8:45 pm |
        • overed

Actually, yes, you are.

February 13, 2013 at 9:29 pm |
  34. jimbo

Second best way to go.

February 13, 2013 at 6:57 pm |
  35. dfjlj2kjkk2

"Okay, then why do we have seatbelt laws, helmet laws, drinking and driving laws? Why don't we have "overeating-until-we-give-ourselves-heart-attack" laws?"

One should be free to do whatever they want to themselves. You lose these rights when it comes to the safety of others. Drinking and driving is killing other people it doesnt matter if you kill yourself, but you are more likely to kill someone else. Seatbelt laws are the same, even tho you are more likely to kill yourself by not wearing one, you can kill other people by not wearing one.(think about hitting a bump and getting knocked out of your seat and causing your vehicle to flip over, this has happened....). Helmet laws im against, i personally would choose to wear one if i drove a motorcycle, but this should be a choice((bicycle helmets are just stupid).

Obesity laws are completely unjust. If you want to eat a heart attack burger, go for it! However i do not want to pay for your stupidity. Charging you more for health insurance is perfectly fine, if you choose to be a fat dumbass, then you should pay for it. But there should be no laws stopping you from being a fat ass if you want to.

Its always funny when you see some fat ass with 6 burgers in one hand and a diet coke in the other.... That diet crap with the cancer causing fake surgers isnt going to save you from your fat ass diet.

February 13, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
  36. Weeds

Why has so few people made comments about the irony. This guy had a heart attack in front of the The Heart Attack Grill.

February 13, 2013 at 6:51 pm |
    • Shockandahh

Because that's not ironic, it's a coincidence. Now if John Alleman had gone in to Heart Attack Grill to tell the owners "Thanks for all the memories but I'm goin' legit, gonna eat healthy and exercise but I'll always have my fond recollections of eatin' here." Then he steps outside and has a heart attack, now that would have been Ironic!

February 13, 2013 at 7:04 pm |
    • DUH

Because it's to obvious.

February 13, 2013 at 7:05 pm |
    • Nate Dogg

Because it's the absolute opposite of irony.

February 13, 2013 at 8:54 pm |
    • whozits

It isn't irony. It is cause and effect. Irony would be a vegan protester outside having a heart attack when he went in to use the bathroom. Or, having been taken to the hospital with chest pains, being found to have a previously undiagnosed but highly correctable congenital valve problem (eating there having prevented a heart attack.) A real life irony was that the promoter of jogging, who took it up to battle heart disease, had his fatal heart attack while jogging (though it is arguable, since he lived ten years longer than his cardiologist predicted prejogging). Or that Euwall Gibbons, who promoted living off the plants in the wild, died choking on a twig he was chewing. While that is also cause-and-effect, the ironic element is that the thing he promoted for delaying death triggered his. Irony is getting the direct opposite effect than the action was designed to create. Thus, Achilles' mother's efforts to make her son invulnerable were ironic because it was her technique that rendered him mortal.

February 13, 2013 at 9:43 pm |
      • MedBiz

Euwell Gibbons actually died of an aortic aneurism but it had nothing to due with his diet – he had a genetic disorder called Marfan Syndrom.

March 12, 2013 at 12:37 am |
  37. Rich

I'm "fed up" with stupid entrepreneurs that appeal to our lowest instincts whether they're selling sex or unhealthy food.
    There should be regulations on unhealthy food service as there are on other unhealthy practices such as smoking and consuming alcohol. People can whine about Obamacare and the "food police" all they want, but obese people should pay higher taxes because fat people consciously run up health care costs for everyone.

February 13, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
  38. Leanndra Fairchild

Like those brave climbers who die climbing their mountains or skydivers who die jumping out of planes, John Alleman risked his life doing what he loved. You are an inspiration to all of us. RIP John.

February 13, 2013 at 6:43 pm |
    • Pete

Except extreme sports don't kill that many people. Extreme obesity kills most of its victims and its a lot. Their past spokesman died at 29! How could that be an inspiration? Do you really look up to the people who have to use scooters at Walmart because they are unable to walk through the store?

February 13, 2013 at 8:31 pm |
      • Leanndra Fairchild

Actually Pete if you take the people who climb Mount Everest you have a high mortality rate. If climbing that mountain were not only for the rich (those who can afford to take a month or more off of work), you would get a much larger group of people doing it and in turn a much larger group dying. So high risk takers like Mr. Alleman are in the same category as other high risk takers like climbers, lava rafters, condomless prostitute users etc. and many people like that die doing the thing that drives their passion. Bravo Mr. Alleman, Bravo. Not everyone is brave enough to live and to die for what they are passionate about.

February 13, 2013 at 11:35 pm |
        • MedBiz

Except many risk takers pay for their own risk. This man did not. He is no longer alive to pay for his hospital bill...but we are so would you care to pay up? Care to pay my share of someone else's bill? You think prostitutes sell their bodies because they are passionate? They may be messed up, on drugs, desperate to feed their children, enslaved at the hands of a man but don't lump that in with a life's passion.

March 12, 2013 at 12:51 am |
  39. Kungfucious

'merica.....F*** yea

February 13, 2013 at 6:32 pm |
    • Pablo

Right on Brutha! (Ha ha ha!)

February 13, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
  40. qball

I hope I live to see 100. I exercise, eat right and have low stress. But then again, what does it really matter? None of us are going to see 300, or even a buck fifty for that matter. We are programmed to die regardless of how well we take care of our bodies. My grandmother lived to be 102 and she was certainly NOT the poster child for healthy living. Go figure, huh? And therein lies the dichotomy. Eat "right", exercise regularly, take supplements, reduce your stress level and you might live to be all of a century old, but it's certainly not likely. 100 years, and the earth has been spinning for 3.5 billion. Not the heartiest life forms in the galaxy are we?

February 13, 2013 at 6:30 pm |
    • The Dude

I agree for the most part, but there are always exceptions. I know people who have extended their life because of pro active measures. Take care of your teeth live in moderation and you will fully enjoy your later years.

February 13, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
    • usmc1999

i have worked out for the past 30 years, usually 2 times per day. very vigorously training in weights, cardio, mms, sports, etc. i only ever ate chicken and fish and lots of vegetables. rarely ever drank. no stress to speak of. and now have stage iv cancer. anything can happen to anyone.

February 13, 2013 at 6:44 pm |
      • Justin

Bless you man!

February 13, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
    • TaxPayer

Some people want to argue it's his life, and he's free to do what he wants, BUT don't think his actions don't affect you! How much do you think the medical costs he incurred amounted to? How much of those bills do you think he paid in full? Who will pay the bills for his final stay in the hospital? Don't be ignorant healthcare. People want to say there is a right to healthcare. This sense of entitlement needs to be revamped! Healthcare is a limited resource and if you choose to abuse your body and the medical system why should tax payers pay for your blatant disregard for your body?

February 13, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
    • Pete

Yea, but quality of life is another factor. I'd rather not depend on a cocktail of medication and machines to keep me going when I hit 60. There are always exceptions to everything, but I'd rather play the numbers and stay healthy.

February 13, 2013 at 8:36 pm |
    • whozits

I lived in rural Georgia in the late sixties and there was a centagenarian birthday celebrated on the radio. The old man was asked to what he credited his long life and he said starting each day with a shot of Red Eye and ending each night with a stogie. I might consider leading a vegan life with no alcohol or chocolate or other 'sin' foods/ beverages if they said it would make my twenties last well into my sixties but tell me it will take my death day from seventy (three score and ten) to a hundred and you can just keep those years. Your taste buds die, your sense of smell goes, your hearing goes, you move like molasses in January and you sleep through your televised birthday party – not my idea of a fun time in the old town tonight.[ For the Bible munchers who might respond, please remember that letters are both quantifiers and approximaters in Hebrew and Aramaic and that forty is a goodly number (longer than a moon,) four hundred is very many and 900 is beyond numbering, not actual numbers.] Meanwhile, I'll eat my chocolate, drink my wine, munch my cheeseburger and shake my commodious bootie.

February 13, 2013 at 9:56 pm |
  41. Harbinger

for those who complain about this man's life choices, every lifestyle has risks, including overly active lifestyles. For those who say this type of restaraunt should be banned because it is unhealthly, where is the outcry against 1.000 calorie meals at fast food restauraunts, which are responsible for much more deatha nd disease in this country than this one restaurant I promise. You say you don't want to pay thier medical bills, but such is the choice of socialism, to carry the unhealthy and unproductive with the healthy and productive..

February 13, 2013 at 6:26 pm |
    • qball

Well, we can certainly mitigate the disease factor by avoiding fatty foods, but I'm pretty sure there's no cure for death yet...

February 13, 2013 at 6:35 pm |
  42. RightON

I totally agree with you 100%

February 13, 2013 at 6:26 pm |
  43. Urboring

BORING

February 13, 2013 at 6:19 pm |
  44. JeffinIL

Why is there no option for "Yes" in the poll? The question asks, "Would you eat there?"
    Yes, I'd go there once out of sheer curiosity.

February 13, 2013 at 6:06 pm |
  45. Harbinger

Scooter is right, cutting caloric intake is essentially for running our bodies properly, though the less calories you take in the more nutrient value they need to have to properly sustain you. but if you get to the point where you eat 300 calories per meal you'll notice the buzz you get from eating and the noticeable increase in energy.

February 13, 2013 at 6:05 pm |
  46. cloud91977

Many Americans take better care of their vehicles than they do their bodies, especially when it comes to what goes in them. Who fills their car up with bad fuel or cruddy oil, over and over again, when there is good fuel and oil available? The guy in the story should get a Darwin Award.

February 13, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
    • cloud91977

"The Darwin Awards are a tongue-in-cheek honor, originating in Usenet newsgroup discussions circa 1985. They recognize individuals who have contributed to human evolution by self-selecting themselves out of the gene pool via death or sterilization due to their own (unnecessarily foolish) actions. " (Wikipedia)

February 13, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
    • cowstastegood

Ironic that you speak of Darwin as you mock the life of a friendly, cordial human that enjoyed cheeseburgers. Who's the one that truly needs to evolve?

February 13, 2013 at 6:04 pm |
      • mt19

Populations evolve, individuals do not. Basic biology.

February 13, 2013 at 6:23 pm |
        • cowstastegood

Uh, look up the definition and try again.

February 14, 2013 at 4:23 pm |
      • BIgtruck260

This

February 13, 2013 at 6:23 pm |
    • overmann

Only if he hasn't already bred, surely.

February 13, 2013 at 6:11 pm |
  47. guuuu

you can't fix stupid

February 13, 2013 at 5:49 pm |
    • cowstastegood

This thread is a good example of that.

February 13, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
    • cloud91977

Best comment so far!

February 13, 2013 at 5:58 pm |
  48. scooter

1500 calories a day should be fine for the average adult. If you are a farm worker, steal worker, person who has a high degree of physical activity then 2000 would be fine. However most of us do not have that kind of a career. The labels we have that say we need a 2000 calories daily diet need to be changed. Also the older you get the less food you need too. I cut my calories down to about 1200, I work in an office environment, and I found that food tastes better, and its more stimulating. When you eat too much its like watch too much TV, it just gets boring andis too easy to do.

February 13, 2013 at 5:37 pm |
    • Jen

What is a Steal worker? Do they go around stealing cars or what?

February 13, 2013 at 5:56 pm |
      • mt19

Of course, let's single out a single unsubstantial error in an otherwise thoughtful and accurate comment. Doing anything else would be way too intelligent.

February 13, 2013 at 6:25 pm |
  49. lbourne

Well no one can accuse the compnay of false advertising!

February 13, 2013 at 5:32 pm |