February 4th, 2013

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AMpZ0TGjbWE?w=416]

Eatocracy spends a lot of time talking with farmers, and giving them a platform in our ongoing Farmers with Issues series. When Dodge aired a commercial during last night's Super Bowl using radio legend Paul Harvey's “So God Made a Farmer” as a kickoff for their Year of the Farmer campaign to raise money for the Future Famers of America, the increasingly vocal population of farmers and agriculture advocates spreading their message with social media had a lot to say.

We reached out to a few of our favorite farmers and rounded up some of their reactions.

Sexist Super Bowl ads? #NotBuyingIt, some say

"I'm proud to say I'm a sixth generation farmer with my li'l boys being the seventh generation tagging along with me for chores each day. With today's American population being two to three generations removed from their farming "roots" Dodge did an amazing job in this commercial, emphasizing why less then 2% of the population continues to feed not only the United States but the world.

Today's farming family realizes they will never be rich – but they recognize their "riches" every day – working side by side with younger generations, sharing family values, demonstrating strong work ethic and emphasizing the importance of community. While no monetary value could never be put on many areas of the farm family lifestyle, it is those unmeasurable riches that keep us going for generations!" - Carrie Enyart, Black Willow Pond Farm: Cobleskill, NY

"The Super Bowl is the most watched television event of the year. By some estimates, more than half of the country watches the game. Many are just as excited, if not more, to see the commercial break ads that air during the broadcast. This year, Dodge RAM used their ad space to declare 2013 the Year of the Farmer.

The full two minute video, as seen on the Dodge RAM campaign site, features the voice of radio legend Paul Harvey. Until his passing in 2009, many Americans grew up listening to his News and Comment and waiting for The Rest of the Story from the native-Oklahoman who held his commitment to America’s heartland. In 1978, at the Future Farmers of America convention, Harvey recited a tribute to the American farmer that still holds very true today – “So God Made a Farmer.”

Harvey’s narrative describes the characteristics we look for in dedicated farmers and caretakers of the land. The lines have gained more than 1 million views on YouTube, with several farmers and agriculture organizations putting their own images to the words. No matter your religious preference, the message certainly inspires reflection on the history of this country’s hard-working farmers and ranchers. The scenes take viewers through the generations of farmers and ranchers, from the old to the young, including many landscapes of modern agriculture.

This video is not necessarily a campaign for the Dodge RAM products, but rather a campaign to support the FFA Foundation (also known as Future Farmers of America) and their hunger initiative Feeding the World – Starting at Home.

According to FFA Foundation CEO, Dwight Armstrong, RAM will donate up to $1,000,000 to the Foundation based on the views of the video and activity on the website. Individuals are encouraged to view the video and recommend it to others.

'Supporting this positive messaging about the American Farmer will raise awareness of the National FFA Organization within the general public while providing significant support to a major FFA initiative,' Armstrong stated in a letter to members and supporters.

Rural Americans took this ad space with extra gratitude and appreciation as farmers and ranchers have been working hard to share their stories with an America generations removed from the farm. North Dakota farm mom, Katie Pinke, expressed the sentiment well in her blog post about the video. “After watching the commercial, I feel like there is more hope in the world. Hope for agriculture, for family farmers, to feed a growing population, to connect everyday Americans to where their food comes from and to build a greater connected community for agriculture in America.”

Thanks goes to Dodge RAM for the recognition of America’s Farmers and Ranchers and for helping the efforts of such a great organization like FFA." - Ryan Goodman, generational farmer, Eatocracy contributor and creator of Agriculture Proud

Super Bowl ad revives iconic American voice

Farmers, writers and agvocates who blog:

"I hope I do my job as a caretaker of the animals and the land well enough so that when it’s time for me to leave this earth someone will read this at my funeral." - DairyCarrie.com

"After watching the commercial, I feel like there is more hope in the world. Hope for agriculture, for family farmers, to feed a growing population, to connect everyday Americans to where their food comes from and to build a greater connected community for agriculture in America." - ThePinkePost

"We begin to arrive at a question, which is how do small farmers, of the sort valorized in the commercial, afford shiny new pickup trucks? Anecdotally, they answer is that the cannot afford to, or they prefer to spend their disposable incomes on things like mortgage payments and fixing holes in roofs." - thegurglingcod.typepad.com

"Many liberal voices are rising to decry the spot as commercial pandering and emotional manipulation. Just keep in mind that many of those same voices have never shied away from using images of abused puppies and kittens to solicit money to build their war chest and line their own pockets without committing any real resources to the plight of those creatures they exploit." - raybowman.wordpress.com

"You may know that I farm with my dad and grandpa right now. Actually during my last semester of college I said I didn’t want to farm, but six years later I told my parents I did. My wife and I have a 3-year-old son ourselves. Maybe someday he’ll want to do what Dad does too." - thefarmerslife.wordpress.com

"Look, if we continue to assume farmers are not frightfully smart, good hearted chaps working with the technology of the late 1930s, how are we ever going to get a sensible grip on agriculture?" - rachellaudan.com

"Various folks within agriculture have complained that Dodge should have tasked a 'real farmer' with narrating the spot, or that they should have avoided Paul Harvey because of some of his stances related to animal agriculture...What matters is that last night, during a record-setting television broadcast, tens of millions of Americans heard an iconic voice remind them of what it means to be a farmer, helping reconnect them to their own fond memories of our nation’s food producers." - AndyVance.com

Farmers on Twitter:

What did you think of the ad? Share your thoughts in the comments below and we'll see what takes root.

Previously:
Opinion: My family farm isn't under "corporate control"
Farmers aren't evil. Now can we have a civil conversation?
What should a 'local' farm (and farmer) look like?
Praying for rain in the Arkansas drought
What a farmer wants you to know about how beef gets to your plate
Start a conversation with a farmer
Farmer in the know: 5 easy ways you can help us help animals

Posted by:
Filed under: Advertising • Blogs • Business and Farming News • Buzz • Farmers with Issues • Farms • Social Media • Super Bowl • Twitter

1. cynic50

I think the interesting question is, "Who paid for the ad?" The TV time alone cost about $15 million for the 2 minute ad buy. Production costs not included.

Do you think it was (collectively) the average family farmer who paid for the ad?

Or do you think it was the large industrial "farmer" in anticipation of the upcoming Congressional legislation reducing the massive and outmoded farm subsidy program?

The US spends about $20 billion per year on farm subsidies. In that light, a $15+ million dollar one-time expenditure might be worth the layout if it results keeping Congress from being able to pass subsidy reform legislation this year, budget deficits be damned.

Lest you think the average family farmer saves his/her farm because of subsidies, you should consider that 80 per cent of farm subsidy recipients collect an average of $587 per year and this does NOT include the 62 percent of US farmers who receive no subsidy at all.

I enjoyed the commercial and thought it extremely well done but that doesn't keep me from asking, "Who paid, why, and why now?"

February 5, 2013 at 9:09 pm |
    • Durpa_Durp

@cynic, are you slow or just plain stupid? Did you bother to read the article, watch the commercial, or think for yourself in any way at all? It was paid for by Chrysler for the Ram line of trucks. It was done for advertising to sell trucks, and it was done now because they need an edge to cut at the other truck companies sales. They picked an iconic American lifestyle/profession and they pulled at the heartstrings of America to create a connection with thier product.

However, respect to Chrysler for its donation to FFA. I finished school with a class full of family farmers and they deserve the recognition money to bolster the next generation of farmers. It's an often thankless, yet constantly working way life. Keep plowing guys and gals.

February 6, 2013 at 1:28 am |
      • FarmerBoy

I'm with Durpa_Durp on this. A large majority of trucks go from the dealer to the field and assist farmers in feeding the world. cynic50, I'm not sure why its so hard to understand why Dodge chose to make a commercial (and pay for it themselves) for their trucks with a tribute to farmers.

April 2, 2013 at 9:50 pm |
  2. DrDave

And if you are not a farmer, it's a religiously offensive elevation of a particular occupational group. We all work hard. We all make sacrifices. But apparently God didn't make any of us for any reason, at least according to Dodge and Paul Harvey. I wonder whether people would be praising this commercial if the subjects had been politicians, Muslims, Christians, etc.

February 5, 2013 at 9:05 pm |
    • Dr.Dave's Conscience

"Dave! Shut up, you idiot! Why do you have to be one of those lowest-common-denominator type losers? Why do you have to put everything down? Do you realize, AT ALL

February 5, 2013 at 10:32 pm |
    • encisoc

Relax bro! God had nothing to do with the commercial.

February 6, 2013 at 1:40 am |
    • Durpa_Durp

I'm with your conscience, DrDave. You are an idiot. I bet you wouldn't last 3 hours working a farm. Farmers are the hardest working folk in this country and I challenge you to find another occupation that compares. You can say military, but you would be wrong. A lifetime family farmer works from childhood to the grave, 24/7, 365. I bet you think you grind hard for your 40 hours a week. Its not saying everyone else is chopped liver, just that it takes a special person to endure what farmers do.

February 6, 2013 at 1:43 am |
      • AntiIdiot

I served 21 yrs in the military. Before that, worked on farms in Oklahoma. I'd do another 20 in the military vs. working on a farm for 20. I've also moved on to "bigger" and better things and realize there are NOT many jobs that work as hard as farming/ranching. DrDave, you are, by unanimous vote, an idiot. Not everyone does work hard. In fact, I've realized most people do not work hard. That holds especially true from what I've seen w/the younger generation. I've done well for myself because I'm willing to work hard and know when to work "smart not hard".

February 6, 2013 at 9:47 am |
        • drDave

These replies just prove my point; that the commercial is inflammatory and divisive, setting farmers above everyone else and making others either uncomfortable or angry in the process. That's what happens when you use religion in a commercial to elevate one group over another.

February 6, 2013 at 11:43 am |
    • Delmar H. Knudson

You're saying no one and no profession should ever be praised, because that denigrates everyone else. What a colorless world you must live in.

February 6, 2013 at 7:59 pm |
      • drDave

Not at all. I think farmers are good people and should be praised. My objection is to two minutes of selective religious elevation of farmers and their work. The implication of the commercial, by omission, is that 'if you're not a farmer, well, God didn't make you, or doesn't much care about your work or your hours or your sacrifices.'

I agree with the posters who commented that the commercials could have said something more inclusive, or just have left out the selective religious angle entirely. For those people who don't think the commercial was offensive to non-farmers, what if the text was the same but the word "farmer" was replaced by "women" or "men" or "Muslims", "Democrats" etc. Would that have sat well with people?

February 7, 2013 at 5:43 pm |
        • What?

Your argument is a logical fallacy, and a very poor one at that. All of the illustrations were of "farming" and farm-related "needs"; why would anyone say " . . so God made a nuclear scientist" as a solution to those specific needs? If he had been talking about the travails of childbirth, or tending to sick children, or sitting up nights worrying where teenagers are, then he would have said " . . . so God made a mother". It wouldn't surprise me if he did something along exactly those lines.

You should work on getting over that little persecution complex you have.

February 7, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
  3. wtf, over

So much land, so few condo's....as they say down here, "why do you need farms when you can buy it in a supermarket?"....101.5 radio

February 5, 2013 at 6:47 pm |
  4. empresstrudy

19 out of 20 farms are corporate industrial farms. Why is CNN so in love with The Man?

February 5, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
    • grnidone

"19 out of 20 farms are corporate industrial farms."

Really? Where did you get that statistic? Oh wait. You made it up. And you've probably never farmed a day in your life. Or even stepped foot on a working farm. And have never met a farmer who gets all their income from farming.

February 5, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
    • corn belt farmer

where does all this "corporate farming" stuff come from? I live in one of the richest soil zones in the corn belt and don't know of any corporations controlling agriculture. There are family farms that have incorporated....for self-employment tax purposes....but they are still family farms with members who frequently work 120 hour weeks, and drink their own well water. I think the movie 'food Inc', did a lot of damage to farmers' reputations. i wish people would realize that they listened to one person's views, instead of researching for themselves. what made that movie the 'expert reference?"

February 5, 2013 at 10:58 pm |
    • Owl96

Those farms have real farmers working the land, and working just as hard as those who own their own land.

February 6, 2013 at 7:22 am |
  5. mikem

I grew up on a farm listening to Paul Harvey...I miss Paul Harvey the most. When I told a much younger friend, who lost his farming grandpa two years ago, to look at the commercial, he did and he cried. Powerful!

February 5, 2013 at 5:36 pm |
  6. bethany

The commercial had a great sentiment, but it had nothing to do with the product being advertised. And while I figured it was for some sort of vehicle, I didn't realize it was a Dodge ad until the very end. And I would have liked to see more small, organic, roadside farmers mentioned along side the larger ones pictured.

February 5, 2013 at 4:15 pm |
    • E

Bethany,

Just a heads-up there is no way to tell whether or not a farm is organic by a picture, but if you did notice there were numerous tractors and vehicles of varying sizes showing the wide scope of agriculture out there. Just embrace it for the simple truth it is...and be proud that a company was willing to put a greater message before their product, something we don't see enough of today.

February 5, 2013 at 4:49 pm |
    • AntiIdiot

your first sentence said the commercial had nothing to do w/the product, yet you follow that w/knowing it was about a vehicle and then relating it to Dodge. Therefore, you negated your first sentence. Like many in todays generation; think before you speak. It will reduce the amount of useless information and words and make you appear brighter. "It's better people think you a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt".

February 6, 2013 at 9:55 am |
  7. Yakobi

And after God created the farmer, the devil looked around...
    He saw a need to pay the farmer huge subsidies to grow things that kill us, like tobacco.
    He saw the need to pay farmers to NOT grow crops, too.
    He saw a need to prevent competition with dairy farmers in other states by enacting protections that make a gallon of milk more expensive than a gallon of gasoline.
    He saw a need for the government to buy up all the farmers' grain in a ridiculous effort to push biofuel and drive up the price of everything from crackers to beef.

So the devil created the politician.

February 5, 2013 at 3:31 pm |
    • What?

Perhaps you would be so kind as to explain just exactly how a "subsidy" to a tobacco farmer works? (I can't wait to hear this one.)

February 5, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
    • AntiIdiot

Living in NC, "Tobacco Road", I know your first line to be crap. No subs for tobacco farmers. As far as the politican goes...I concur.

February 6, 2013 at 9:58 am |
    • rlw

Do you honestly want gas to cost more than milk? Shouldn't the majority of your income go towards food? The average American spends 10% of their income on food. That is 1/5 of MANY other countries. Which one is more important – food or gas? I would much rather buy milk – which provides over 90% of the nutrients a person needs – than buy gas. At least I'd survive. The average dairy cow only produces about 6-7 gallons a day, while gas (oil) is pumped out of the ground millions of gallons at a time.

February 6, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
  8. abbydelabbey

My husband's family were farmers. They survived the Dust Bowl and Depression and were part of the Greatest Generation. But family farms are slowly being bought up by corporations. Small family farms are slowly disappearing - but the work remains the same - dawn to dusk and hard. (The same goes for cattle men, etc.)

Times are changing. But you can still find local farmers - small farm folks - and they need your support. Buy your produce at farmers' markets and give them your help.

And don't forget to thank a farmer!!!

February 5, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
    • rlw

Over 90% of American farms are still family owned today. They may contract with large companies to ensure they have a market for their crop, but the company does not own them. Many families have incorporated their farms for tax purposes, but they are still owned by a family.

February 6, 2013 at 11:42 am |
  9. snowboarder

i'm not one to fall for the whole "god" bit, but i did enjoy the commercial.

February 5, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
    • Phil

You don't have to like God, but why the disdain for the English language? Proper nouns are capitalized as in, God, or Paul. Also, there is no need for quotation marks around the proper noun, God. Do you put quoation marks around your name? Do you put quotation marks around other character names that you deem fictional?

February 5, 2013 at 5:43 pm |
  10. Dave

Then, God made the migrant worker to help the big business, er, "farmer" feed the world.

February 5, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
    • rlw

Over 90% of American farms are individual or family owned still today. Yes, many of those farms do use migrant workers during harvest, especially in the summer/fall. Employment of migrant workers is heavily regulated, so farmers try their best to ensure all migrant workers on their farm are legally in the US. (This definitely is not always the case.) Although hiring migrant workers isn't always the best situation, many farmers are forced to do so because few Americans are willing to put in the long hours doing manual labor outside during the hot summer. To the average American, a welfare or unemployment check sounds like a much better idea. To a migrant worker, it sounds like a decent job to support their families.

February 6, 2013 at 11:47 am |
  11. Zur

The big bang theory made me a farmer.

February 5, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
    • Phil

A theory made you a farmer? That sounds about right.

February 5, 2013 at 5:47 pm |
      • Zur

Not the theory, but the show. Penny made the midwest sound grand.

February 5, 2013 at 5:54 pm |
  12. Cathy

I loved the commercial and am very excited it is going to help FFA. I grew up on a dairy farm my dad was a 4th generation dairy farmer. He truly loved his animals every single one of them. He was a strong man, he was tough on his children – but would never ask anyone to do anything he could not do. He had 5 children and encouraged all of us to do what we wanted in life. Growing up on a farm and working day to day before and after school gaves us all a great work ethic and a true understanding of life. We experienced life, death, what weather changes can do to crops and how to cope with all these changes. We understood at a very early age life is tough and you will get knocked down, you just need to dust off the seat of your pants and come up ready to go another round. To this day I still love the smell of barns, fresh cut hay and digging in the dirt.

February 5, 2013 at 12:43 pm |
  13. VladT

I really cannot believe that this ad is evoking such debate between atheists and believers. I am a proud agnostic, and this ad is supposed to evoke pride in farmers, American farmers. They tried to include all....there were white farmers, black farmers, and farmers that looked of hispanic descent. If atheists truly didn't feel included, I think they missed the point

February 5, 2013 at 8:47 am |
    • iheartyou

As an atheist I didn't miss the point. I just disagreed with the way the point was delivered. This commercial did indeed exclude atheists, but it also excluded beauticians, real estate moguls, and basketball players. So what. It was a very sweet and inspiring message aimed at farmers. A message that probably could have been delivered just as wonderfully without the god aspect but, again, so what. It was a great message. It made farmers feel pride in their profession (and this recognition for farmers is long overdue), and it's a commercial paid for by a private company to sell their product. They're allowed to deliver it anyway they want. It wasn't government sponsored using tax-payer money. No one should be complaining here. This commercial was uplifting and was not an attack on anyone – including atheists. Peace.

February 5, 2013 at 4:54 pm |
      • encisoc

All you athiest, why worried? you wont get to see God when you die anyways, and if you get to see him it will be only for judgment day, then you'll spent the eternity with you wisdom and self sufficient mind. lol

February 6, 2013 at 1:47 am |
      • VladT

I just don't understand the need for a "debate." As I said, a proud agnostic. The instance I saw this commercial, I felt pride for our farmers, not for some diety. Just my humble two cents.....

February 6, 2013 at 8:46 am |
      • Delmar H. Knudson

Amen! :-)

February 6, 2013 at 8:10 pm |
  14. Heather

Yes, Paul Harvey's original intent was beautiful–to honor farmers and the hard, and often thankless, work they do. However, I have a problem with what they did with this ad. In the end...Ohhh...pick a "Dodge Ram Truck" "For the Farmer in All of Us?" ... This message is supposed to provoke you into thinking "I'm like that farmer–I work hard every day and I do this and I do that while I'm actually sitting on my ass all day in a cubicle, in front of a computer monitor, shoving twinkies down my throat"–why...because I'm an "average" American. Not a farmer. But with this ad, especially the words at the end of it...ooh, I can be tricked into thinking I work as hard as a farmer, ergo I deserve Dodge Ram Truck. What a load of B.S. ... if Dodge had truly wanted to honor farmer's and not just "sell" by provoking an emotional response in us–they would have ended with "Dodge Ram–for all our farmers," not "For the farmer in all of us..." because let's face it America, most of us sit behind cubicles shoving little Debbie's down our throats all day–and Americuh, That "ain't" farming. ;)

February 5, 2013 at 6:06 am |
    • thePhelps

Heather – perhaps the term commercial got missed by you. They paid very good money to air that spot during the Superbowl, and the only time Dodge even came into the picture completely was the very end. Up to that point, nothing really stood out except the story.

February 5, 2013 at 6:52 am |
    • Zur

Speak for yourself, most people I know don't shove Little Debbie's down their throat. Seems that statement is more about you.

February 5, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
    • Phil

Note to self: Never employ Hearther as she will just sit behind a desk eatting and eatting.

February 5, 2013 at 5:50 pm |
  15. speck1970

And God saw the farmer had it too easy, so he made them drive Dodges. Kinda like the final insult.

February 5, 2013 at 3:37 am |
  16. katiepinke

Thank you for featuring my comments and blog! I think this spot was a risk for Dodge that paid off for them and is building a greater connection to the community of agriculture. Family farmers are the backbone of America and we all depend on them. Acknowledging that through a big brand Super Bowl ad evoked emotion that we all can be proud of.

February 4, 2013 at 11:29 pm |
  17. thePhelps

I thought this was a very touching spot on commercial.
    I also don't care if it offends and atheist – if you don't like the commercial get over it – I am not a fan of your beliefs either.

February 4, 2013 at 9:57 pm |
  18. Joshua Dewal

I just got paid $6784 working on my laptop using these simple steps leaked on this web page. Make up to $85 per hour doing simple tasks that are so easy to do that you won't forgive yourself if you don't check it out! Weekly payments! Here is what I've been doing Rich45.ℂOM

February 4, 2013 at 9:32 pm |
  19. Angela Brewer

So when did God make this farmer? After the (original farmers) slaves were freed?

February 4, 2013 at 8:37 pm |
    • Dawkins is an idiot

You had people misapplying scripture for slavery and you also had Darwin who wrote a book that led people to believe blacks were less evolved

February 4, 2013 at 8:43 pm |
  20. Dawkins is an idiot

Darwin taught that blacks were a s@v@ge race!

February 4, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
  21. DMan8913

I thought this was a great ad. Maybe it didn't need the 'God' part so it would be more inclusive, but still a great ad. One of the farmers in the article talked about the liberal criticism. I'm a liberal myself and have a huge amount of respect for farmers. We can find a good balance between agriculture and nature. Many have been able to do that for millenia. We don't need to have a conservative farmer vs. liberal environmentalist fight. We can work together. We need both. I'd like to see an ad about the immigrant farm workers too. They've gone through hell and high water often times in order to work their asses off in the fields to help these farmers. I think it'd be good seeing as immigration reform is pushing forward now.

February 4, 2013 at 7:29 pm |
    • DMan8913

Actually keep God in there. I wouldn't want to take God out. God is important to many, many people, including myself. Maybe update it with a new voice and don't include just God.

February 4, 2013 at 7:34 pm |
      • DMan8913

To add, I wasn't thinking clearly when I first said 'maybe it didn't need the 'God' part.'

February 4, 2013 at 7:36 pm |
      • cindy

I agree. God is important to some of us and He does not need to be excluded in everything.

February 5, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
    • iheartyou

I agree, DMan. The migrant worker did/does so much for the farming industry it would be nice to have included them as well. Also, I'm an atheist and I had no problem with this commercial. Just like I have no problem with people saying merry christmas to me. The fact is that you probably won't find many atheist farmers. Farming has historically always been a pretty "god and the land" type of profession. I think whatever makes people feel good (without putting down anyone else) is a positive thing. In our culture of reality tv "stars" and men who can catch footballs being paid 500 times what hard-working farmers get paid, I think it's about g-damn time farmers were recognized and honored!

February 5, 2013 at 5:01 pm |
    • encisoc

Didn't need the God part? yeah its so offensive, we have become so wise and smart that we don't need God anymore. With so much knowledge and smart people, who needs God? wait till the next tsunami then yeah we need you God.

February 6, 2013 at 1:57 am |
    • mistel

Actually, DMan, God Himself is inclusive of everyone. It's only people who exclude themselves from God.

February 16, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
  22. Shadow99

This atheist, loved the commercial. I do not need to recognize the existence of supernatural deities to appreciate the supreme importance that our farmers are to the safety and success of our country. My grandparents farmed. The Dodge ad was a wonderful dedication to these amazing people that work the land.

When my kids viewed the advertisement their comment was positive. They thought it was too long but had a positive response to the message. The mention of God repeatedly bugged my freshman until I explained that other people's beliefs about how things come to be does not change what they are.

February 4, 2013 at 7:11 pm |
    • Dawkins is an idiot

So do you tell your kids that a frog can turn into a prince, and their great, great etc grandfather was a fish

February 4, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
      • nope

Evolution doesn't claim that any living organism ever changed from one thing into a different thing. Your strawman only reveals your willful ignorance. Populations of species change over time. Evolution is a fact as much as the Earth is a sphere. It's not a perfect sphere, but it's a good enough description of reality. Have a good day fellow ape.

February 5, 2013 at 12:17 am |
        • Teacher

Actually, Darwin believed all life evolved from the same strand (not what is taught today, but look at any old biology book). As more and more microbiologists discover the incredible complexities of the cell, they become less and less able to explain how the cell, and all life, is driven by pure evolution without a god. Your hunger to believe in anything that doesn't involve God has allowed hypothesies that inlcude aliens hitching rides on asteroids to creep in to legitimate scientific discussions. The desporation that evolutionists exhibit as they cling to their "THEORY" of evolution requires way more faith than my belief in God. If I'm wrong, we still end up in the same place. Good luck with that.

February 5, 2013 at 2:58 pm |
    • Delmar H. Knudson

I find that if you drive the discussion down to the beginning of life and all the elements and molecules and amino acids and proteins and cells and organs and organisms that it takes some faith to believe in evolution, just as it takes faith to believe in God. Though I don't understand why simple structures or organisms are any more likely to be created by evolution or God than complex structures and organisms. And the same goes for the beginning of the universe. Did it have a beginning? And I would like to ask any theological experts "If God had wanted to create man by means of evolution, would he have been powerful enough to do it?"

February 6, 2013 at 8:52 pm |
  23. Young Farmer

I thought the ad did a great job depicting rural Midwestern life and the values depicted in Paul Harvey’s speech are very much alive and well in our rural farm communities. As a young famer starting out on our 100 year family farm I appreciate that Dodge was willing to spotlight a profession that represents a fraction of the viewing audience. Reading some comments on the add, I hope before people start commenting on things such as “factory farms” or “commercial agriculture” they become informed on how the American family farm has evolved. Between operating efficiency, a growing world market, better risk management practices, and a commitment to environment stewardship, today’s American family farms continue to be the most productive agricultural small businesses in the world. I am proud to be a part of this industry and am glad that groups such as the FFA are here to represent the next generation in American agriculture.

February 4, 2013 at 7:00 pm |
    • corn belt farmer

I agree with you. I can't believe I haven't seen a "factory farm" comment yet. This boggled my mind a few years ago when the term first arose. We are "forever" as far back as we can find, generation farmers. My kids started writing papers about farming, and the term appeared. I honestly believe it is a PETA-type term, but then people like Katie Couric jumped on it. What is sad is that people saw these news commentaries and considered Katie and people like Martha Stewart to be authorities on farming. However, my state has one of the largest ag research colleges in the US, but the same people who jumped on the media bandwagon would never consider looking at the real research.
      We are a corporate farm for tax purposes; yet people want farmers to be too dumb to consider economics. People want food to come from the farmers they picture in their story books from when they were kids. My children have a finance degree, an MBA, a BSN and an Ag degree.No one in my household is too stupid to study the economics of farming. However, when you read some blogs, we are all supposed to farm in manners prescribed by these "armchair" experts.
      Even though we are a corporate farm, we work constantly. I quit my job in physics because the farm became more important. My husband's fingernails look like those in the videos – lots of finger smashes. In fact, there have been lots of close calls in life or death situations and many in our area have died in this occupation.
      I hardly ever respond to blogs, but it gripes me to read comments from people who have beome experts based on some Northeastern movie they've seen or book they have read. People don't realize that the farm program includes the SNAP program. Subsidies make farmers look bad, but there is another side to it that people are also unaware of. Farm commodities are used as tools in global trade by our government. If there should be no government subsidies, there should also be an absence of government involvement in controlling the markets. There are some of us that will never forget what happened in 1980, and how it took over 20 years for farmers to recover from what the government did.

February 6, 2013 at 10:54 pm |
  24. Nisey

That commercial #1- brought back a lot of memories of sitting in the truck with the techs eating lunch listening to Paul Harvey while staking out terraces in southwern Iowa and #2- made me very proud to be associated with American farmers.

February 4, 2013 at 6:41 pm |
  25. food mom

too much god stuff.

February 4, 2013 at 5:14 pm |
  26. Hannah (@ambitiouscattle)

Thank you for your post! I was delighted to have a tweet featured! If your interested in reading the rest of my thoughts on the commercial, you can read them here: http://theambitiouscattlegirl.blogspot.com/

February 4, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
  27. Jon

"God made a farmer. He knew the farmer could not care for his fields alone so he said no matter where you are from, no matter your circumstances, come! And they came...from Mexico and El Salvador and Ecuador and all throughout Latin America. They braved borders and imprisonment and long separations from their family...because God made the farmer...and the farmer needed help feeding the world."

February 4, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
    • Daddy_O

Prior to the labor regulations we have now I worked in the fields as a kid doing exactly what the current immigrant population does now. That's how I bought my first bb gun, my first motorcycle, my school clothes, my first car. I learned work ethic and respect for what I have. And prayed to God at a Southern Baptist Church. Amen!

February 4, 2013 at 4:51 pm |
    • Dot

Amen

February 5, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
    • Delmar H. Knudson

We rarely hired anyone on our farm. For a couple years we had a part-time Native American working for us; and while Mom taught country school (8 grades in one room all taught by the same teacher) we had a Native American woman (who amusingly had the last name of "Walks-on-Water") work for us about 9 months. Otherwise Dad, us 3 boys and Mom did all the work. Mom sometimes drove the horses and did other field work when necessary. We boys began to work alongside Dad when we were 8. I had my first small tractor accident when I was 9 years old, since I couldn't easily reach the brake pedal to make a turn with a row crop (tiny wheels close together in the front of the tractor), and made a little hole in the barn with the tractor steering gear. I especially remember in 110 degree South Dakota heat walking back and forth on half mile rows of corn, stooping over pulling cockle burs alone for half days at a time with just one quart jar of water left at the fence. When I'd drink, I'd always remember Dad saying "It may be warm, but it's wet".

February 6, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
  28. Jon

HOGWASH

February 4, 2013 at 3:45 pm |
  29. farmnwife

This commercial works because it is basic and fundamental, nothing flashy. Here is my video response. http://youtu.be/TeKm3ldfZGg

February 4, 2013 at 3:31 pm |
  30. Mark

well you don't need 'god' to be a farmer and this atheist will not buy anymore Dodge products and the last 3 vans I bought were Dodges

February 4, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
    • Ryan Goodman

If you stop your purchasing of RAM products due to this ad spot, I think you're missing the point. The words were spoken from Paul Harvey back in 1978 and speak of the characteristics of hard working, dedicated farmers of all walks. True, Mr. Harvey was a religious man, but his use of the Creation format to tell this story, shouldn't be the entire story.

February 4, 2013 at 5:20 pm |
    • Steve

Are you so insecure in your beliefs that you can't even hear the word "God" without being offended?

February 5, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
    • iheartyou

I'm an atheist too, Mark, but I have to agree with Steve here. Lighten up. Of course, it's absolutely your prerogative to support whatever company you like. But if you stop buying products from every company that backs, believes in, or has the nerve to speak the word "god" then you'll be very limited in where you can shop. This was a commercial bought and paid for by a private organization to sell their product. No one passed a new law saying you had to buy Dodge trucks because they're god's car, or anything crazy like that. This was not government sponsored or paid for. This is EXACTLY what the founding fathers had in mind. Peace.

February 5, 2013 at 5:11 pm |
    • Phil

You don't have to like God, but why the disdain for the English language? Proper nouns are capitalized as in, God, or Mark. Also, that are no needs for quotation marks around the proper noun, God. Do you put quoation marks around your name? Do you put quotation marks around other character names that you deem fictional?

February 5, 2013 at 5:18 pm |
    • Ana

Will you also stop buying gas because a majority of it is imported from countries where religious freedom is stifled and people are persecuted for having a belief different the what the governments sanction?

February 5, 2013 at 5:26 pm |
    • Countrygirl33

It's a little hard to put thousands of dollars worth of seed in the ground, hoping you get a crop without a little faith. God is important to many farm families.

February 6, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
  31. Stringtail

How much of the food that is produced in this country, that we as consumers ,really eat? Hardly nada. Get a clue. It's more profitable for farmers to export their products to other countries. And OH! please, don't even start on God. What a joke.

February 4, 2013 at 2:05 pm |
    • Farmers Feed the WORLD

Stringtail, what food are you eating that comes from abroad? Most of the food consumed here in the heartland is raised here!

February 4, 2013 at 4:38 pm |
    • Delmar H. Knudson

Most small to moderate sized farms are run by families who don't ever have much cash on hand; so they are pretty much forced to sell their grain (flax, corn, wheat, soybeans, etc.) to one of the elevators in a town nearby as soon as it is harvested. It can be stored, but this costs, and the seller has to guess at the best time to sell. The elevators sell to any customer who will buy, and at the highest price they can get. None of us farmers near Sioux Falls knew where our crops ended up. If you know, maybe you could tell me, as I would be interested. Some of America's grain, fiber, and meat products are sold overseas; and we buy all sorts of food stuffs from overseas. Do you feel that U.S. citizens should be forced to buy only U.S. products, and us Coloradans now should only buy Colorado products; and those of us living in Denver County should only buy Denver products? Should we refuse to sell or give food to countries where huge numbers of people are starving due to crop failures in a particular year? Guess I'd have to give up mangos, kiwis, bananas, most spices, and perishable produce out of season.

February 6, 2013 at 8:40 pm |
  32. Phil Esteen

It would be more appropriately called "A white God makes white farmers for white people with 'rose colored' glasses to pine over.'

Sappy and dull as dish water...

February 4, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
    • Observer

Your name fits...

February 4, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
    • Phil

People all over the world and of every race believe in God. There is no mention of God's skin color in the Bible or any other religious text. This is something that you have made up to make yourself feel better.

February 5, 2013 at 5:28 pm |
      • ransomstoddard1

Actually, I think people made up their gods to make themselves feel better.

February 6, 2013 at 6:26 pm |
  33. DebbieLB

Awesome tribute to farmers! There were small farms as well as large farms pictured. All types of farmers and vignettes of their farms. Thank you Dodge for the celebration of the "Year of the Farmer." You made me proud to be a farmer! I even blogged about it this morning, too: http://kansascattleranch.blogspot.com/2013/02/meaty-monday-so-god-made-farmer.html

February 4, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
  34. SlowMoneyFarm

Loved this ad. Farmers across America are different but bonded by common characteristics, which this has brought out. Critics will find negativity – that's what they do. Here's to embracing what has to happen to make sure we all eat, that our communities are thriving and that our world is cared for. Even the meadowlarks.

February 4, 2013 at 12:23 pm |
    • Brooke

Well said.

February 4, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
  35. Brooke

This was an outstanding commercial showcasing the versatile life of the American Farmer. Each farmer has a unique story – all compiling the passion and dedication of an industry warranting pride from America. Feeding the world isn't a small task and should be celebrated.

February 4, 2013 at 12:03 pm |
  36. Dawkins is an idiot

A lighting bolt struck a mud puddle and 'poof!!!' The earth appeared! And a frog turned into a prince!!!!!!!

February 4, 2013 at 12:00 pm |
    • Stringtail

HEE HAW! Your comments were my laugh for the day:)

February 4, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
  37. Dawkins is an idiot

Hey all you smart atheists, how did a bellowing lung turn into an avian lung and not cause extinction? explain all the intermediate changes.

February 4, 2013 at 11:58 am |
    • sweetenedtea

I'm not an atheist, but I do know the difference between false argumentation and real debate. Presenting a question framed in terms that aren't reflective of the actual argument is classic weak-minded sophistry. Nobody argues that a, er, "bellowing lung" suddenly changed into an avian one. Evolution takes place over millions and millions of years, gradually, transormatively...not magically. As for the "extinction" question, you really need to study science. Scientists are quite aware, as you do not appear to be, that an extremely large percentage - some have estimated up to 99% - of species that have existed went extinct. Nobody denies that, so your pointed (such as it is) observation is meaningless. Indeed, it really hurts your stance, given that you now have to explain why, if evolution doesn't exist, God allowed so many species to die out. He doesn't make mistakes, right?

February 4, 2013 at 5:35 pm |
      • Hank

but homosexuality survived?

February 5, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
    • Dawkins is an idiot

You still didn't answer the question

February 4, 2013 at 8:13 pm |
      • Fred Evil

Won't bother to, because you wouldn't believe it if the facts were laid before you.
        Enjoy your 'faith,' maybe someday it'll do something of value, aside from providing a weak person with a desperately needed emotional crutch.

February 5, 2013 at 2:12 pm |
        • cindy

Actually it takes a strong person to follow Christ and obey his rules. It's much easier to do whatever you feel like doing. Besides Christ says he is strongest when we are at our weakest. It's not a crutch, it's a way of life.

February 5, 2013 at 5:48 pm |
        • Quentin Eichenauer

@cindy It takes a stronger person to follow any sense of ethics because it is the right thing to do, not under the threat of a god or the torment of a devil.

February 5, 2013 at 9:14 pm |
        • ransomstoddard1

Cindy, you seem to be saying that atheists are somehow capable of less good than people who claim to follow religious teaching. I would wholeheartedly disagree, and I think you will find many atheists that are capable of extremely good works because they do it less out of fear and more out of a sense of duty to their fellow humans.

Thank goodness christians don't judge...

February 6, 2013 at 6:29 pm |
    • nope

It's not our job to educate you. Pick up a different book for a change. Evolution is a fact.

February 4, 2013 at 11:46 pm |
      • Teacher

If evolution is a fact, why are so many scientists baffled to explain how the complex organelles in the cell evolved when irreducable complexity prohibits their ability to survive? If it's a fact, why are so many with PHD's in microbiology ditching their belief in evolution and embracing God? Why do so many evolutionists resort to name calling when they can't explain the gaps in the theory? Face it: evolution is your religion. It's your crutch and your excuse to not believe in the creator of the universe and it requires more faith than my belief in Christ.

February 5, 2013 at 4:15 pm |
        • vonsnickle

Bravo,
          Isn't amazing how this generation of idiots will have to be trusted to lead us in the future. I can remember Paul Harvey listening to the radio in the 50's. The man was a genius who had a heart. That is a rare commodity today. Unfortunately we have Jose Phillip Farmers of Marching Morons running todays world. God help us!

February 5, 2013 at 5:53 pm |
      • david A 2

Macro evolution is not provable. It is not fact.

February 6, 2013 at 2:12 am |
  38. Truth™

As soon as i saw this commercial, I knew that the Christophobes would be wetting themselves at the mention of God.

February 4, 2013 at 11:14 am |
    • VladT

I am still waiting for the Lord to smite all the trolls...don't care if its a Christian Diety, Vishnu, Allah, or Cthulu

February 5, 2013 at 8:31 am |
    • cindy

That remark was very ugly truth. Yes I was happy to see God mentioned.

February 5, 2013 at 5:45 pm |
  39. ™©JbJiNg!eŚ®™

My favorite commercial by far! What a wonderful message to send to the country...hopefully it will persuade more people to go into farming.

February 4, 2013 at 11:13 am |
    • fred

Anbody notice the farm equipment in the commercial. The equipment was made by Case. Guess who owns Case. You guessed it, Fiat. Nice!

February 4, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
      • Larry Lindsay

Yea Fred, It would have been great if Fiat had featured John Deere equipment in their ad. Don't take this stuff too seriously, it's just business.

February 6, 2013 at 7:08 am |
    • Quentin Eichenauer

Since I am not a multi-million dollar company looking for a subsidy check, I cannot afford to go into farming.

February 5, 2013 at 9:17 pm |
      • pierre

ALL farms get huge gov't subsidies. farming is THE most subsidized industry in america – by far – and significantly larger than the big, bad, oil dudes.

February 6, 2013 at 8:49 am |
        • Countrygirl33

I think you need to do a little more research. Being a farm family I know what I get from the government-less than .005% of my income. I'm all for reworking the farm bill. Take food stamps out of it and the dollars go down significantly. Matter of fact, I'd give up all government money for a little insurance backing. Be there when we have a drought or long term flooding...that's all we ask. Other than that, let us do our work! We CHOOSE this life because it has benefits a non-farmer just won't get!!

February 6, 2013 at 1:31 pm |