Opinion: Chick-fil-A controversy leaves a bitter taste for some longtime fans
January 31st, 2013

Chefs with Issues is a platform for chefs and farmers we love, fired up for causes about which they're passionate. Virginia Willis, a graduate of L'Academie de Cuisine and Ecole de Cuisine LaVarenne, is the author of "Bon Appétit, Y’all" and "Basic to Brilliant, Y'all."

As a chef and food writer, I rarely eat fast food. The quality is generally atrocious and much of it is radically unhealthy. The menu offerings are the polar opposite of local and seasonal. There are dire implications concerning worker’s rights and wages, as well as animal welfare and factory farms.

It doesn’t matter where you are in the country, every interstate exit is identical with the same usual suspects offering the same sad sacks of chemically laced, artificially flavored fare, all swimming in high-fructose corn syrup. Cheap, fast food is at the core of what is wrong with our food system.

Yet, there’s one thing that trumps my French-training and chef sensibilities; I love Chick-fil-A.

As a native Georgian, it’s been a part of my life my entire life. Chick-fil-A is a Southern institution. It’s the only place in America where you can ask for a “half and half” and receive a perfect blend of sweet and unsweetened tea, not a dairy product. In truth, the quality of Chick-fil-A food is superior to many fast food establishments. The salads, slaws, tea and lemonade are made daily from scratch in the restaurants, not at a commissary kitchen seven states away.

My favorite sandwich is the classic fried chicken sandwich on the buttered bun. The steam from the slightly sweet, golden brown chicken condenses inside the foil-lined package and wilts the bread, just enough. I prefer plain, no lettuce, no tomato, just mayonnaise, and the perfect pop of sour pickle.

I’ve always known that founder Truett Cathy was a religiously conservative Christian. I applaud the fact that he’s closed on Sundays and strong in his faith. The outlets are part of the local community, supporting the schools and sports teams. I admire the work of Chick-fil-A’s WinShape Foundation in regards to foster homes, scholarships and education, food donations for disaster relief, first responders and the military. Service, volunteering and giving back are at the heart of Chick-fil-A, qualities I aspire to, advocate and admire.

I, too, am a Christian. I am also a lesbian. And while many religious conservatives think I am going to burn in hell and my existence is a crime against nature, I refuse to believe that God doesn’t love me because I am gay. I refuse to believe that God made a mistake.

I refuse to believe that something is wrong with me and I need “conversion therapy.” I refuse to call those anti-same sex marriage groups "pro-family" because that doesn’t include my very real family, my love and my commitment to my partner. I also absolutely refuse to believe that if I choose to marry another woman that I am somehow harming the institution of marriage.

Controversy erupted last summer with Chick-fil-A president and chief operating officer Dan Cathy's remarks about being against gay marriage, “guilty as charged.” It led to Mike Huckabee’s crusade, Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day and the subsequent boycott of Chick-fil-A by gay, lesbian and like-minded individuals, myself included.

The Chick-fil-A website states that the corporate giving has been “mischaracterized.” Well, there’s nothing “mischaracterizing” about their – now former – funding of the ultra-conservative groups such as Family Research Council, Eagle Forum and Exodus International, all aggressively anti-homosexual.

Just this week, gay rights organization Campus Pride issued a statement claiming that Chick-fil-A gave the organization's executive director, Shane Windmeyer, access to recent Chick-fil-A tax documents. After reviewing the company's 2011 and 2012 financials – which have not been released publicly – Windmeyer said Chick-fil-A no longer gives funds to “the most divisive anti-LGBT groups.”

For a long time, I cast a blind eye towards Chick-fil-A's corporate giving and, through my patronage, contributed to the very religious conservative groups that abhor my existence. Ah, the power of a chicken sandwich. But, when it all came to a head last summer, I could no longer ignore it. I quit supporting Chick-fil-A and said farewell to my favorite beverage, the perfect thirst-quenching combination of a half-and-half tea.

The truth is that Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day was not about freedom of speech. It was simply a thinly veiled protest against homosexuals, period. Those swarms of conservatives weren’t lining up around the block getting waffle fries and chicken sandwiches to protest such lofty ideals as upholding the constitution and protecting the First Amendment. I believe they were showing that they are united against same-sex marriage and against gays, in general.

So, earlier this week I drew a shallow breath of relief when the news surfaced that Chick-fil-A wasn’t as aggressively homophobic and had quit funding the groups. The company website states, “Our intent is not to support political or social agendas.”

The recent news may have influenced me subconsciously stopping and picking up a half-and-half tea just this very morning, the first I’ve had since summer. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but going forward, I’m honestly not certain what I will do - if I will continue my renewed patronage of Chick-fil-A or not. Truthfully, I now have a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth and sadly, my once perfect half-and half tea just doesn’t taste as sweet.

Previously - Opinion: Why I’m celebrating Chick-fil-Gay Appreciation Day and Fast food with a side of faith and Chicken and politics

soundoff (3,041 Responses)
  1. Chic-You-Feelah

YOU refuse to believe that God made a mistake because that's the kind of change you're trying to bring forth to a religion.

The homosexual political lobby likes to go in and make homosexuality okay, and that takes infiltrating organizations to push forth a change in attitudes. You want to make Christians feel like hypocrites, they let you in, they look the other way perhaps all the while people like you say, I REFUSE to believe GOD made a MISTAKE!!! Right.

That's subversive, backhanded, passive agressive, bullying hypocrisy.

I refuse to believe that God made a mistake.

February 1, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
    • ednebet

Your reasoning is flawed, which makes you a mistake. You are here, there's proof.

February 1, 2013 at 3:53 pm |
    • sam

You are a hypocrite. Your 'moral laws' are a joke.

ps: capslock never really makes anything true, fyi.

February 1, 2013 at 5:17 pm |
  2. RevAG

News flash, we still preach any sex outside of marriage is sin. That includes heterosexual sex between unmarried singles, bestiality and adultery. God designed sex to be between one man and one woman in the confines of marriage. Does it always happen, sadly no. We have way to many fornicators, adulterers and perverts in this world that go with whatever makes them happy. They are sinners. Homosexuality is no separate class of sin. All those claiming that we single it out are wrong. True because of the public discussion, it may seem that way, but it's not the truth. Sin is sin. I remember when those opposed to Christian doctrine would say that we just didn't want you to have "fun" and that sex is designed as beautiful and so shouldn't be hindered. Our counter was that we agree that sex is beautiful and wonderful within the confines of God's design. Now, they want to throw at us that we approve unbiblical sex while only condemn homosexuality. They want to call us a hate group or bigotted while they ignore the vast amount of teaching of which homosexuality is just a small part. Let me be clear. Homosexuality falls in the same line as any other sexual sin and any sex outside of the confines of marriage between a man and a woman is sin. If you disagree with that, then disagree but don't call me a hate-monger for believing that. I neither hate homosexuals nor adulterers nor fornicators. I have friends in all those classes and some in multiple combinations of those classes. They know where I stand and they know that my opinion of them doesn't change. I consider them friends but I will not approve what the bible does not approve. And before you ask to see if I'm a hypocrite, I was a virgin until I got married and have been with only one woman. I live what I preach.

February 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
    • Heat Monger

"God designed sex"

God didn't design shart. There is no intergalactic space daddy named Yahweh, get over it.

February 1, 2013 at 3:39 pm |
      • Mackinnon

Billions of years of galactic evolution and we ended up with....you. The Prime Authority on the matter has spoken ladies and gentlemen...bask in his brilliance......

February 1, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
  3. hubert39

Only REAL Christians can eat at Chick Fil A starting in March. This means only about 20 to 40 people in the USA can eat there. Business will be hurting...

February 1, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
    • whatever

I'm sorry if you think only 20-40 people are "real" Christians. A Christian is simply somebody who believes that there is a God who created the universe, that they have sinned against Him, and that God incarnate Jesus died and was resurrected. And... that the only way to Heaven is by relying completely on the power of resurrection to forgive sins. I personally know more than 40 people who are "real" Christians... unless the definition has changed.

February 1, 2013 at 4:39 pm |
  4. seattlemama

Live and let live, people. I'm so tired of opinions being shoved down the throats of other's – liberals and conservatives! If you don't like it, don't participate, attend, watch, donate, etc. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. We don't have Chick-fil-a in Seattle, but I would definitely eat there should they decide to open up their franchises here because...I love chicken sandwiches! End of story. So sick of the whining bullsh!t. Gays don't like it, open up your own restaurant. Don't like the boy scout's policy? Create your own organization and give everyone else a f'ing break.

February 1, 2013 at 3:09 pm |
    • jack222

Isn't your post doing the same ..."tired of opinions being shoved down the throats of other's"

February 1, 2013 at 3:36 pm |
  5. Lewis Grizzard

If homosexuals can't reproduce, why are there more of them today than there were yesterday?

February 1, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
    • ednebet

Because people don't have to hide in shame anymore. There are just as many gay people today as there have always been, it's not this epidemic Christians will have you believing is happening. There aren't as many ridiculous standards to pretend to be somebody else. A lot of men and women were forced to conform and create families, against their own feelings, just to make everybody else feel comfortable and make them happy.

February 1, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
    • goodforthegooseandgander

Because we get a toaster every time we recruit one of you.

February 1, 2013 at 4:12 pm |
  6. Patrick

I go to Chicfila for breakfast –
    Cashier: Good morning & welcome to Chicfila.
    Me: Can I get a #4 with a Large Sweet Tea.
    Cashier: Thats a spicy biscuit combo with a Large Sweet Tea, Can I get you anything else today?
    Me: No thanks.
    Cashier: That comes to a total of $5.03 could you please pull around to the window.
    Me: Alright Thanks.
    Cashier: My pleasure.

Me @ Wendy's –
    Cashier: What can i get you?
    Me: #23 combo with
    Cashier: what else you want?
    Me: a medium coke to drink
    Cashier: what else you want?
    Me: that'll be it.
    Cashier: I'll have your total at the window.

See the difference? It puts me in a good mood leaving chicfila in the morning, not so much at other restaurants.

February 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
  7. jack222

"I'm gay - can I eat at Chick-fil-A now?" ..... hm, only if they serve weiners and rump roast there?

February 1, 2013 at 3:02 pm |
  8. sillyyou45

Virginia Willis – I was with you up to the point where you said "Those swarms of conservatives weren’t lining up around the block getting waffle fries and chicken sandwiches to protest such lofty ideals as upholding the constitution and protecting the First Amendment. I believe they were showing that they are united against same-sex marriage and against gays, in general." then I had to my eyes. I was one of those folks supporting my local Chick Fil A that day. I am not conservative. I am not anti-gay.I have friends and family who are gay who I love. I support their right to marry. I also love the owner of our local Chick Fil A franchise. He is a small businessman with a good heart – gives a lot to the community. I was there to support this business. And although I personally believe government has no right to make laws prohibiting two consenting adults from marrying, even if they are the same sex, I also respect that not everyone believes that. I appreciate the diversity of opinion in this country. We all should . A sign of true intelligence is being able to entertain two opposing thoughts and see the validity in each side It will be a sad day when no one has their own opinion anymore and we all just tout the party line. But that day is coming. With more commentaries like this one that label and condemn people for something like supporting a business and someone's right to believe what they want and donate their money anyway they choose – the day when people don't dare to disagree will arrive sooner than you think.

February 1, 2013 at 3:02 pm |
    • KM

It is definitely an American right to believe what you want to believe; however, when those rights are backed by millions of dollars in donations to anti gay hate groups, groups that regard conversion therapy as absolute necessary, and who believe gay people should be dead or converted, your beliefs become flawed. As a lesbian I no longer eat a chic fil a, and I have that right. Do you really believe they have the right to discriminate against how I live my life? It is one thing to have gay friends, it is another to support them and their fight for equality. Why should his religious beliefs backed by money be more important than my civil rights? We aren't asking for special treatment, but only to be treated under the same laws and regulations as every other human being in the United States.

February 1, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
    • Benjamin

sillyyou45 – Replace 'gay' with 'black' and 'same-sex marriage' with 'interracial marriage' in your post and see if you still agree with it. To those of us who are gay and lesbian it sounds just as offensive.

February 1, 2013 at 5:55 pm |
  9. onibabamama

I won't eat there again, and I'm straight. Bad taste in my mouth. Plus, their sandwiches have a zillion calories and aren't good for you.

February 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
    • SCBAMA

Your a bigot. Just because they don't agree with you.

February 1, 2013 at 3:03 pm |
      • sam

YOU'RE a boderline illiterate idiot with poor sentence structure who has no idea what the definition of 'bigot' is. There, do you like this game?

February 1, 2013 at 3:15 pm |
        • Daniel

take it easy Sam, why all the hate?

February 1, 2013 at 3:29 pm |
        • taco bender

Samuel has a lot of hate in his heart.

February 1, 2013 at 4:02 pm |
        • sam

So you both agree with the mouthbreather above, then?

February 1, 2013 at 4:37 pm |
        • Mackinnon

You and that "mouthbreather" are opposite sides of the same tired and battered coin. The vast majority of people (straight or gay) living in this country are kind and decent and will treat you with respect. You'll have more peace in your life if you focus on interacting with those people rather than a single fool.

February 1, 2013 at 7:02 pm |
  10. Paul of the South

To the author: It seems a shame as a thoughtful and kind person that you don't more seriously consider the mistreatment and ultimate slaughter of the animal that serves as the centerpiece of your sandwich.

February 1, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
    • onibabamama

That is a good point, actually. Factory farming is very inhumane.

February 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
      • gen81465

I've never tried factory farming. Exactly how many factories will fit on my farm?

February 1, 2013 at 10:30 pm |
    • Bob

Please, one major issue at a time. Talk about your PETA beliefs somewhere else.

February 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
      • Paul of the South

Why is it that people get upset with vegans for pointing out the suffering, rather than getting upset with themselves for causing it?

February 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
        • sam

Because they apparently jump in and make the issue about themselves and their cause, instead of respecting the issue at hand. Or maybe THAT'S JUST YOU.

February 1, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
        • Daniel

No, it's just that we don't care. Plain and simple, be a vegan all you want, but just like you don't like Christians trying to convert you because you simply don't care, we feel the same way. Plus if you don't eat any meat at all, you break out in v*ginas.

February 1, 2013 at 3:31 pm |
    • Darh Jedi

PETA – people eating tasty animals.
      Take your animal rights BS and shove it.

February 1, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
      • Paul of the South

Obviously, the proof is in the vegan pudding.

February 1, 2013 at 3:12 pm |
    • Chic Fil A

taste one & you'll change your mind.

February 1, 2013 at 3:07 pm |
    • sam

But who will speak for the pickles??

February 1, 2013 at 3:11 pm |
  11. awaiting moderation

I think Rodney King had it right when he asked,"why can't we just get along"?

February 1, 2013 at 2:50 pm |
    • phil

Well i feel so stupid that i am not upset by this issue. Of all the problems in the world today, this is the lowest in importance to me. i have a dear friend who is gay and loves to eat there, he is his own man and enjoys eating there. I am sure that Mr. Cathy would protect any person from harm even if he knew they were gay! Find something important to argue about.

February 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
    • Heat Monger

"why can't we just get along"?

Because group X wants to tell everyone how to live their lives (ie. don't be gay). If you want to serve chicken sandwiches, fine, do it. If you want to believe that a certain portion of the population deserve to be killed and tortured (ie. god's love), then you aren't "getting along" with anyone.

February 1, 2013 at 3:43 pm |
  12. huh

why are we still talking about this? what year is it??

February 1, 2013 at 2:49 pm |
    • awaiting moderation

I think we are just waiting to see which swallow will leave Washington this weekend.

February 1, 2013 at 2:52 pm |
    • Bob

We're still talking about it because there's about 25-30% of the population who vehemently believe homosexuality is an abomination and should be wiped out. Funny, that's about the same percentage of core supports of the GOP.

February 1, 2013 at 3:02 pm |
  13. Jason

It was good up until you tried to link the appreciation day to anti-gay sentiment. I support gay marriage but also supported the appreciation day, and from those I talked to I was not the minority. In a country where the founding fathers decided the first right the government should guarantee was the right to free speech the idea of boycotts and even city bans of a privately owned business because of the owner's personal beliefs really bothered me.

February 1, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • sam

So you had no real idea what any of it was about, in other words.

February 1, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
    • Patrick

I agree. I may not like their choice of charities. But I support their right to make those decisions.

February 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
    • Adam

I'm curious as to why it bothered you. People are free to have their beliefs, and shout them from the rooftops. But the 1st amendment only guarantees the government will not interfere–citizens can still exercise free will and not give money to the very people who are hurting their friends and families.

February 1, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
      • Ryan

But the government was getting involved. There were governors and mayors stating that they will refuse to give Chick-Fil-A licenses because of Dan Cathy's beliefs. That's when the whole thing started going nuts to begin with.

February 1, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
        • Child of Gays

Local governments threatened to get involved lets be clear. When actual state governments actually passed legislation taking away natural rights of the gay community I don't recall seeing the wave of public support Mr Cathy received. I too love this chain I ate there from the time I was a little kid until last year but the whole ordeal left a bad taste in my mouth. Free speech my foot. I don't believe everyone in line that day was anti gay but there actions show that they supported Mr Cathy's opinion with much more ferocity than actual governed rights of their fellow country men.

February 1, 2013 at 3:37 pm |
  14. El Jefe

Yes you can, but not on Sundays. We all should be at church on Sundays.

February 1, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • CJ in Cali

a) Not everyone is Christian – and even some Christian churches have services at alternate days or times.
      b) Our modern techology based society would come to a screeching halt and collapse if everyone went to chruch at the same time. (Power plants, airline pilots, etcetera, just to throw out some examples.) And what about transit drivers so the people who don't drive can go to church?

February 2, 2013 at 11:47 am |
  15. William Perryman

Great blog. I wondered, too, if I should now begin patronizing Chick-Fil-A until I thought, "Well, the leaders of the company cared so little for their own brand that they sacrificed it on the altar of religious fervor." Not a good thing, so I decided to keep my personal boycott alive.

February 1, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
    • LeeCMH

I haven't had a Chick-fil-A since 1988. They flouted their hateful Christianity even back then.

February 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
  16. tonyboies

No to diabetic tea and greasy fried chicken.

February 1, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
  17. awaiting moderation

Would you please re-phrase the question ?

February 1, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
  18. kite005

No you may not eat at Chick Fil A. El Pollo Loco is the stuff anyway.

February 1, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
  19. kimo

A boycot isn't just a gay thing...Right wingers do it all the time. Boycot a Broadcaster because they air shows that show gay people in a good light....Boycot Disney because they offer same sex benenfits...The list goes on. The reason peoople boycot is for awareness of a situation they think is wrong and want to bring about a change, be it for better (boycotting Chick-fil-a) or for worse (Disney). Boycots are very powerful and can bring about social change.

For those of you that base a gay relationship on what goes on in the privacy of a bedroom are sorely mistaken. Gay relationships are based on the same concepts as straight relationships. The fight for the right to marry the person you love isn't about sex, it is about love and equality. Sure gay people can "simulate" marriage to have the same benefits, but it is a long drawn out expensive task. Legal documents aren't free...Lawyers are cheap. Why should gay people have to "pay" for the same rights as their straight bretheren.

Once and for all, leave the bible out of it, it is called Seperation of Church and State. And no, this country was not founded on Christian beliefs, it was founded on equality for all, no taxation without representation and oppressive rule and other beliefs of freedom. Once you take the bible out of it, can you come up with a reason being gay is wrong. It isn't against nature, for the world is constantly evolving (yes, evolution) and you can't stop it.

Why shouldn't books about all types of families be availbable for children to read. If you start teaching tolerance at an early age then maybe we can put an end to hatred and war. The books someone mentioned (two daddies or two mommies) do not talk about sex, they discuss an alternate family and the love that they all share, which is equal no matter who you love. So should being gay be taught in school, maybe not, but since there is so much intolerance in the world and a lot of parents refuse to talk to their children in a positive light, we need to teach it socially.

We can't teach sex ed in scholl because it should be discussed within the family. Yeah, great concept. Now if parents would just do it in a neutral way, we would have to worry about sex education. Face it people sex is natural and it isn't just for procreation. It is also about the intimacy shared between two people. Something that can bring them closer together as human beings.

Face the facts, love is a beautiful part of life no matter if you are straight or gay.

And for those of you that want to start spouting out how perverse it is, that is your right. Again, give me a valid reason gay people shouldn't be able to marry. And teaching love in school (love, not sex) is a good thing that brings about social changem which this world so desperately needs.

And no, marrying your pet isn't the next step. Animals can not enter into contracts and are not equal to human beings. And gay people are not child molesters and do not want to make the whole world gay. They just want to be able to fall in love and marry and have a family just like everyone else. And a family isn't just about procreation. There are too many children out there that need good families that are going to teach them how to be a loving, carrying and tolerant person for the betterment of everyone.

And p.s. Just becuase a person is gay does not mean they want to have sex with everyone they see.

February 1, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
  20. dave

I have a great idea! Let's post all of the personal preferences or company donations for every major company across the country. That way all of the left-wing weirdos can boycott and protest what they don't like, and conservatives can also stay away from businesses they don't like. That would be great for the economy and would bring Americans closer together... oh wait, no it wouldn't. If you want to eat a Chick-fil-A, eat there. If not, then don't. It's not that hard. They have never prevented any customer from coming and purchasing there. What donations or groups does Coke support, how about Pepsi, McDonald's, Macy's, etc... Is that really where we want to take it?/

February 1, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
    • sam

It's always a good idea to see where your money is ultimately going. But that wasn't your point, you just wanted to have a conniption.

February 1, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
    • LeeCMH

This did not start with Chick-fil-A. Hateful Christians have been screaming to boycott Disney for a couple decades.

February 1, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
    • kimo

Sorry to break the bad news to you dude, but the companies you mentioned do not donate to groups that focus on hatred and inequallity.

February 1, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
    • Patrick

THANK YOU DAVE!!! I've been saying the same thing since the whole chicfila thing went nutzoid... I'm neither for, nor against gay marriage... Part of the greatness of the US, the freedom to express yourself however you want. Truett Cathy wants to give his profits to an antigay agenda, well he has the freedom to do so. If you have a successful business & want to give your profits to a progay agenda, you have the freedom to do so. I don't know why everyone made such a huge deal over chicfila, & the to the author... I attended chicfila appreciation day & I'm not anti-gay prowhatever, I just enjoy a spicy chicfila biscuit & sweet tea for breakfast on occasions & the #1 sandwich for lunch. I went on that day to show that my beliefs may not be the same as chicfila's, but I do support the freedom to have such beliefs. The same reason I served in the military. You have the right to your opinion, I might not like it, but I'll still defend your right to say it.

February 1, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
    • Bob

Sorry, Dave, but any and all companies mentioned, plus most not mentioned, are smart enough not to mix religion and business, especially in their corporate generosity. Chick-Fil-A owners have been very outspoken for decades. Why should my money buying their products fund hatred. Would you buy products from a company that openly donated to the KKK (haters of minorities and every religion besides christianity)?

February 1, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
  21. LeeCMH

To answer the author's question. Stay away from Chick-fil-A.

February 1, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
  22. Jesus Loves All

I hope Chick-fil-a finds a cure for g*y people soon.

February 1, 2013 at 2:33 pm |
    • taco bender

I don't think there is a cure for confusion.

February 1, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
    • You're Ok

I have good news and I have bad news. Good news, your case of gayness is not terminal. Bad news... you say gay things.

February 1, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
  23. Southern Fried

I am more disappointed that you call yourself southern, yet you drink sweet / unsweet tea mix? WTH?

February 1, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
    • sylgui

I believe half-and-half tea at Chick-fil-A is actually half sweet tea, half lemonade.

February 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
  24. JoeBeer

I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body but I do like CFA.

February 1, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
  25. Steve

Truett Cathy has every right on earth to his personal opinion and to further to broadcast his thoughts as far and wide as he cares to. It seems the court of public opinion had an impact and his company changed course. This is an example of good corporate stewardship but does not likely signal a change in his fundamentalist beliefs regarding than many citizens in these United States who are as much a part of our nation’s fabric as anyone else. Cathy’s position causes me to dislike him, not necessarily his food but I like him I’ve made a choice and will not spend a dime for his products. Until all manner of humanity is treated equally we must fight discrimination and those who support it.

February 1, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
    • n222s

Steve – right off, I find gay marriage to be morally wrong. I hope you don't stop reading based upon that one sentence. Because I don't think government should involve itself in marriage and many, many, other things. Gay, straight, whatever.

Understand. I want you to be happy, healthy and prosper whether you are gay or not. I am responding to you because your post implies that you want people to be free. And I do too. And that includes the freedom to be wrong and, if it doesn't hurt others, freedom to be morally offensive to me.

We seemed to have reached the point in this country where we wish to cede too much power to the government. Particularly in hopes that they will give some "right", food, or shelter back to us. Think about it. If the government had NO say in marriage at all, no tax deduction, no nothing, you could marry any person or thing you want and there is NOTHING I could do about it. And again, I find it morally wrong.

In effect, the argument is about whether government has the power to grant the right to marriage. When, in a perfect world, they would have no say at all. And when we give the government more power to regulate things beyond mere marriage we have to do the same thing. Begging the government for our rights instead of making the assumption they should have NO say in the matter.

Take guns. It sounds reasonable to restrict magazines, gun types, etc. However, have any minorities in this country ever been chased down by mobs? If you have a revolver, good luck defending yourself if you are being chased by a truckload of idiots intent on doing you harm because you are gay. If, say, 5 of them have the same weaponry you cannot reload six shots fast enough to defend yourself.

I don't own a gun and don't want to do so. I just want you and every other minority and every other person to have the right to defend themselves in times of crisis. Oh, and if you are ever in the middle of a riot (remember the LA Rodney King riots) tell me that you will call the cops to bail you out. I truly am laughing out loud.

You don't defend rights because you need them or because you need them today. You defend them because the cause of freedom for one is fundamental to everyone's freedom.

In my world, though I find gay marriage morally wrong, you can engage in it. Why? Because the government would have NOTHING to say about it. Now...who is for freedom and who is for simply begging the government for rights they should never have granted or denied in the first place?

February 1, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
      • rlj

Because it IS the government that grants the legal benefits of marriage it is up to the government to ensure that EVERYBODY has access to those benefits.

February 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
      • FoolKiller

Nicely stated!

February 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
      • n222s

rjl you made my point for me. You look to the government for your rights because people long ago gave them the power to determine for us the definition of marriage. You are, in effect, subject to their whims.

If you take the power from them the power comes back to you. THAT is the point. Take away spousal rights, the ability to grant tax advantages, give marriage licenses and then you and I can disagree without stepping on each other. I can live with my belief in the immoraility of gay marriage and you can live with your belief that it is moral.

Freedom to marry. Freedom to live as you see fit. Freedom for me to think you are morally wrong. FREEDOM.

Free from sanctioned hatred because I CAN'T DENY YOUR RIGHTS BECAUSE THE GOVERNMENT HAS NO RIGHT TO DENY THEM. Look, keep asking the government for your rights. Which will empower them to decide your rights. Which means you lack to freedom to truly decide for yourself what you should or should not do.

February 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm |
      • Heat Monger

"In effect, the argument is about whether government has the power to grant the right to marriage"

It sounds like you would have legal marriage abolished. I disagree with that.

February 1, 2013 at 3:47 pm |
        • n222s

"The government defines marriage and grants marriage – it is a legal status associated with benefits and rights. There is no more definition that that. Therefore, if you don't want the government to define it, then nobody can marry, or you can say you are married but have no status associated with it. it is that simple."

Heat, it isn't that people cannot marry. It is that there is nothing in the constitution that says the federal government should have a say in it. You can form a partnership with someone and call it a marriage. In my opinion, leave the government out of it because it is my right to do as I see fit. Not theirs or my right to determine YOUR definition of marriage.

"It sounds like you would have legal marriage abolished. I disagree with that."

Okay Heat, but why do you disagree? I WANT to be married. And I WANT to be married to my wife and that has NOTHING to do with the government. And my idea of what a moral marriage is, and is not, stops at my front doorstep. I think gay marriage is an abomination. And if the government stays out of the marriage business there is NOTHING I can do to you to enforce my vision of marriage. More government does NOT mean more freedom. I LOVE our form of government. I just want less of it intruding on my life and yours.

February 1, 2013 at 4:11 pm |
      • Nicely played

I don't fully agree with everything you said here. But it was logical. Rational. Internally consistent. Therefore, I respect your view. Well done, sir.

February 1, 2013 at 4:38 pm |
  26. sly

This is fun – I cannot wait until y'all figure out whether God loves Gays or God hates Gays etc ...

I do know that Heaven will be Great! Thousands, maybe millions, of gorgeous virgin teenage chicks. No laws. No marriages. No football! And 4-5 Chick-Fil-A's.

Wilt the Stilt's '10,000' record will fall within a month to me!

Best of all, God likes to watch a little hanky-panky (Cornelius 10:40a Adam/Eve)! Well, I'm going to give the Big Fella a (w)hole lot to watch! Yee Haw...

Or sorry, got a little excited there ... let's get back to chickens and lesse's and Christian folks.

February 1, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
    • awaiting moderation

I have heard God loves seahorses.

February 1, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
  27. LT

Chick-fil-A never denied anyone service. The CEO expressed his beliefs in the Biblical definition of marraige to be that between a man and a woman which he has the God given right to do. He did not express hate, he expressed truth. The Word of God our Creator is the source of Absolute truth. Homosexuality is wrong, just like any other sins of the flesh including Adultery and Fornication. For it is appointed onto man once to die and after this, the Judgement. We all have a choice to make. The Truth of the Word of God is for the saving of our eternal souls. Do not reject it.

February 1, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
  28. adam--Steve

I'm a Christian but also a pedophile–why should God not like me because I like little kids–God should except me and you should too

February 1, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
    • Robin

I imagine God certainly does "except" you. He would "except" you from entering the gates of heaven or whatever. If you expect that he should "accept" you, I should think you'd be disappointed. And if you meant to be clever in comparing homosexuality and pedophilia, I'm afraid you missed your mark.

February 1, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
    • Patrick

Please educate yourself by reading ANY book titled "Human $exuality" by ANY author. It will clearly describe the SEVEN major differences between paraphilias and $exual orientations.

1. Paraphilias exist on top of one's $exual orientation. If homosexuality was a paraphilia there would be no homosexuals, only bisexuals (heteros with a homosexual paraphilia)

2. Most paraphilias are harmful and involve a victim.

3. Paraphilias by their nature are usually more situation based than object based.

4. Most paraphilias are harmful to the individual who has it, having associated character disorders, boundary issues that pervade other areas of the afflicted's life, and associated pathologies.

5. Paraphilias are treatable and have been shown to change in plethysmograph testing. $exual orientations have never been shown to change.

6. Paraphilias arise at different times in a person's life. $exual orientation always presents in puberty.

7. Paraphilias always have an identifiable cause. $exual orientations do not ever have any identifiable cause.

February 1, 2013 at 2:21 pm |
    • Patrick

You have a lot of nerve to say that when your bible says nothing against ped ophilia.

February 1, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
    • Observer

adam-Steve,

God's book NEVER condemned child molesters. Obviously, he was more concerned with what two consenting adults were doing in the privacy of their bedroom.

February 1, 2013 at 2:22 pm |
      • avoice

But it's sin...To desire a child for sexual pleasure, that's unnatural! God the father of Jesus can help with this.

February 1, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
    • Patrick

I try not to let the Christian bible define "sin" for me since it condones slavery(Lev. 25:44), beating slaves(Exodus 21:20), incest(Genesis 19:33-36), r@pe victims being required to marry the r@pist(Deuteronomy 22:28-29), treating women and children as property(Genesis 19:8, 1 Timothy 2:11-14, 1 Corinthians 14:33-35), requires battered women to remain married to abusive husbands(Matthew 19:9, 1 Corinthians 7:10-12), condones jihad type warfare where all children are ki11ed save the virgins who are a 'reward'(Numbers 31:15), and makes no mention at all of child molestation, the worst possible crime.

February 1, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
      • awisesf

Patrick, you do realize that most of the passages you cite, while part of the Bible, have nothing to do with Christians, right? You know, that religion that came along in the New Testament?

February 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
        • Rsant

The new testament also makes no mention of homosexuality... what to believe.. what to believe..

February 1, 2013 at 4:51 pm |
    • taco bender

I think you meant accept.

February 1, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
      • kite005

He might not be sure what he meant.

February 1, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
    • Uh, No No

Dear – Gays and pedophiles are not the same thing. The majority of child molestors are straight. Child molestors are predators who intentionally seek to harm children. Gay people – are identical to straight people – in that from our inception our chromosomes align to define who we will be as adults. Please – if you must be so ignorant keep your mouth closed.

February 1, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
      • adam--Steve

But I was born this way–my god does not make mistakes

February 1, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
      • bigdumbdinosaur

Gay people – are identical to straight people...

Obviously not true. If gays were identical to straights they wouldn't be gay. Now, if you meant to say that gays are "normal," you'd also be wrong, as homosexuality is not the norm. If it were, the human race as we know it wouldn't exist.

February 1, 2013 at 3:10 pm |
    • Primewonk

Of course your god loves you. He's a bigger pedophile than you are. After all, he rãped a young virgin, impregnating her with himself so that she could give birth to himself so that he could sacrifice himself to himself. You and your god are both nutters.

February 1, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
    • rlj

God WILL probably "except" you.

February 1, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
  29. bibleverse1

Were gays refused service or treated differently? If they were then I say boycott them. I dont care.

February 1, 2013 at 2:12 pm |
  30. Pro Equal Rights to EVERYONE

I am a heterosexual white female and I support equal rights of all. I agree with same-sex marriage and I liken this battle against discrimination to all the other battles against discrimination that we humans have faced in the past. I hope someday soon we all move past it and learn to accept all humans as equal. I also support Freedom of Speech and believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion and to speak it. I only wish that people were more considerate of what harm they may cause others when they speak those opinions. Finally, I love Chick-fil-A. I did not eat there on Appreciation Day because I felt it was anti-gay groups making a statement and pushing their agendas which I do not agree with. I can however eat at any restaurant regardless of the owners political or religious views because I respect those views no matter how different they are from mine. I feel it would be hypocritical if I said I was pro equal rights but then turned around and tried to force someone to accept my views which were different from theirs. I am actually suprised that so many people claim to support equal rights yet they don't respect the different views of others. That makes no sense. To accept all is to accept ALL. PERIOD.

February 1, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
    • DannyP

You do have EQUAL rights, we are ALL allowed to marry anyone of the opposite sex that agrees to marry us!

February 2, 2013 at 10:11 am |
  31. Rick

Thinking: I am a christian but a proud sinner huh. How could I rephrase this statement? Is there such a think as kosher pork or a christian that never read the bible?

February 1, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
    • taco bender

You are on to something Rick.

February 1, 2013 at 2:17 pm |
    • bokbokbok

A christian that has never read the bible is called a christian.

February 1, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
      • taco bender

I don't think you are on to something there.

February 1, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
    • Cathy

I think the Bible says ALL -not just SOME have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. We are ALL detestable in his sight because of His purity. We ALL need saving and we ALL need to turn to the FINISHED work of Christ. It also mentions being kind, there is not much kindness on here. It also mentions selling all we have and sharing all things in common, we don't do much of that... Jesus explicitly said leave the sorting out to God. The Bible says it is what is in a man's heart that makes him clean or unclean... What is in your heart? If it isn't humbleness and LOVE then be quiet please. Everyone, please, take a chill pill. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

February 1, 2013 at 10:25 pm |
  32. sly

Ho ho ho ... I really learn so much on here. Did you hear truth-seeker talking about "gods plan for sex"? Wow, He has a "sex plan"? See, we all learn a lot!

Here is how I will fit into God's sex plan: There are thousands, maybe millions, of gorgeous virgin teenage chicks up there in Heaven, and GET THIS: No laws, no marriages, no football!

What does that mean? Well, for one thing, Wilt the Stilt's '10,000' record will fall within a month once I get up there!

And best of all: God likes a little hanky-panky (see: Cornelius 10:40p Adam/Eve).

It' going to be a good time ... and best of all, they have Chick-Fil-A up in heaven! And MickyD's!

February 1, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
  33. rad666

I'm gay - can I eat at Chick-fil-A now?

Yes, but you have to order off a special menu.

February 1, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
  34. Wrathbrow

"I’m honestly not certain what I will do – if I will continue my renewed patronage of Chick-fil-A or not. Truthfully, I now have a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth and sadly, my once perfect half-and half tea just doesn’t taste as sweet."
    Changing or modifying another person or groups point of view is a huge thing and the best thing that can happen. That half-and-half should taste even sweeter. Try not to hate on people that have changed, otherwise why would you want them or they want you to change.

February 1, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
  35. AC summers

Why patronize a business that does not respect you.

February 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
    • taco bender

Exactly. Don't let the door hit you.

February 1, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
    • derp

I think a better question would be, why patronize a restaurant full of fat stupid rednecks and lousy fast food?

February 1, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
      • Bill Owens

You didn't read the article did you?

February 1, 2013 at 2:10 pm |

Yes I did.

And I also went to my local CFA on "dumbassfundie" day, or whatever it was they called it; just for a laugh.

It was full of trucker hat wearing fat dopes scarfing up plates full of crap food.

Individual experiences may vary.

February 1, 2013 at 2:28 pm |

Yes I did.

And I also went to my local CFA on "lessthanaverageintelligencefundie" day, or whatever it was they called it; just for a laugh.

Individual experiences may vary.

February 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
      • Mike

Hyperbole...I'd bet good money that not everyone who patronizes Chik is fat or stupid...or as silly as this post. I would bet too, that many are just good natured people who happen to have moral values that don't agree with those of the gay rights movement. We don't call them bigoted, racist or Christianophobes...

February 1, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
        • sam

'Moral values'? What a crock.

Sorry dude, but the entire country saw that hilarious 'Chik-Fil-A Day' crap on the news, and the vast majority of the folks waiting in line for some morally valuable chicken were dumb, fat, white christians, as usual.

February 1, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
      • mwilli01

Says the chode from behind a computer screen. I indulge from time to time, but guarantee I'm in better shape than the likes of a tool like you.

February 1, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
      • C

Did your therapist prescribe "inane blathering on comment boards" or something? You seem to have a lot of free time for verbal diarrhea.

February 1, 2013 at 2:53 pm |
  36. Doug

February 1, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
  37. Peter

No, gays should no be allowed to eat there until they grow up and start acting like adults, and accept life as it comes at them just like everyone else has to, stop throwing these senseless tantrums and making such a scene. I am becoming very tired of all of this pointless politically correctness that only causes more problems then it solves. Most Americans need to grow up and stop acting like a bunch of babies.

February 1, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
    • The Ku Klux Klan

We've been saying the same thing to blacks for years. They just don't get the whole Freedom thing. They should just shut up and accept what they get like like everyone.

February 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
      • Nit

The difference is is that one does not choose to be black

February 1, 2013 at 2:14 pm |
        • derp

Every credible doctor, psychologist, biologist, anthropologist, and psychiatrist agrees that se xual orientation is not chosen as well.

No difference whatsoever.

February 1, 2013 at 2:25 pm |
        • Patrick

We've had the ability to accurately and affordably test people's $exuality in a lab setting since the 1950s. And in all that time, not one person has ever been able to show that their $exuality changed during the course of their lifetime. Not from gay to straight, not from straight to gay, not even from gay to bi$exual. Not through theraputic means and not through religious means. Also, there have been tons of studies done on homo$exuality – if it was a choice there would be precursors to that choice leading someone to want to be attracted to the same gender or leading them to actually having attraction for the same gender – yet not one study has ever found any precursor or cause.

February 1, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
        • sam

No one chooses to be gay, either, you dumbass.

February 1, 2013 at 2:28 pm |
        • Uh, No No

Gays are born gay. Blacks are born black. And apparently stupid is born stupid. Shut it you coward.

February 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
        • derp

"And apparently stupid is born stupid"

And the comment of the day award goes to.......

February 1, 2013 at 2:39 pm |
    • The Nazi Party

Same thing with those pesky jews.

February 1, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
      • Uh, No No

RELIGION AND FAITH are NOT BIOLOGICAL. THEY ARE IDEOLOGICAL. Your self-loathing is showing itself glaringly in your hatred of others. Please, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

February 1, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
        • derp

Not really big on sarcasm are you?

February 1, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
    • smitvict

Much like you would call the NAACP a bunch of babies for protesting McDonalds if they donated to the KKK. Stop the whining NAACP, just put up with bigots and racists and quit expecting the rest of us to be politically correct, too. Somehow I don't think that would be well received, no better than your far right extremists position.

February 1, 2013 at 2:00 pm |
      • Neo-antiCon

This right-wing frustration with "politically correct" is primarily that they can't use the "N-word" and other ethnic slurs in public any more, and they have to respect the rights of people whom formerly they were free to marginalize, disenfranchise, beat up, hang, burn down the towns of, etc., etc. etc. What is really means is, "Hey, could you people stop being such jerks?"

February 1, 2013 at 2:07 pm |
    • Primewonk

So, Peter, you're OK if a group of us get together and decide what civil rights you can have? You won't mind if we pickmand choose which parts of the constîtution apply to you? We'll let you know what we decide. We then expect you to pull up your big boy panties, and take it like a man.

You cool with that?

February 1, 2013 at 2:07 pm |
    • Mr. Misogyny

Women too. The founders didn't give them the right to vote, so they should just stay in the kitchen being barefoot and pregnant.

February 1, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
      • taco bender

No shoes in the kitchen? Yuck!

February 1, 2013 at 3:55 pm |
    • sam

It's a good thing no one cares what you're tired of, then. When people get treated equally, they tend not to raise a fuss. So sorry those pesky gays are bothering you.

February 1, 2013 at 2:30 pm |
    • Uh, No No

And I – as a wealthy, professional, voting, tax paying, patriotic American have already grown tired of the ignorance of 'breeders' like you. Being born a particular way and being PROUD of it IS OWNING IT. Being born a particular way and then having ignorant fools harass you for it is something completely different. And I laugh deeply at the thought of how your life must be a living nightmare as the MAJORITY of people in the world realize you don't abuse or oppress someone for the very natural way they have been born. You, my friend, are the poor soul who needs to grow up, stop whining and deal with it.

February 1, 2013 at 2:34 pm |
  38. Fr33th1nk3r

That was a very long-winded explanation for why some fast-food elitist would choose to eat at a place of business that abhors their very existence, simply because they can't make a cup of half-unsweetened tea. That was 5 minutes of my life I will never get back.
    I would take a Big Mac or Jumbo jack Jr. over those boot-sole chicken sandwiches they have at Hater-Fil-A, anyday, BTW.

February 1, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
    • Uh, No No

If you wanted that 5 minutes of your so important life why are you wasting your time in here?

February 1, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
  39. BaltoPaul

The author claims that the "appreciation day" crowds turned out because they hate gays. I'd like to know where she gets this idea. I know a lot of people who voted to pass the same-sex marriage bill in my state who were put off by the "boycott" and the dialog that went along with it. Many of my gay friends thought that the boycott was an ill-advised attack that hurt their cause more than it could possibly help. Many of my conservative-leaning friends voted in favor of same sex marriage in our state, but backed Chik-fil-A during the boycott.

I'm a straight white male with an NRA bumper sticker, and your automatically assuming that I am your enemy is offensive. You are probably turning away people who may not consider your cause a priority, but would be willing to stand up for your rights if you weren't so bent on being offensive to anyone who you think may disagree with you.

February 1, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
  40. Doug

God loves all sinners, we all fall short of His glory. Christians, good Christians anyway, don't hate homosexuals, it's just another sin like any other.

February 1, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
    • smitvict

Good Christians like ourselves don't hate evangelicals like yourself either. Even if God does not share our forgiveness.

February 1, 2013 at 1:54 pm |
    • derp

Innate psychose xual orientation is a sin like being left handed is a sin.

You bibletards would be funny if you weren't allowed to vote.

February 1, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
      • Mike

If homosexuality represented innate psychosexual orientation, you might have a point. However, it doesn't. It is a choice made by people who willfully choose to defy God's word, the Bible, regarding this issue. Why do you demean your argument with the need to resort to pejorative remarks...ie.bibletards...?

February 1, 2013 at 2:23 pm |
      • mwilli01

Please shut up, neckbeard. Go back to mommy and daddy's basement...

February 1, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
        • Uh, No No

You will never quiet us because we are smarter, stronger, faster and far more courageous than anyone hiding behind their bibles. So bring it on bud – we're waiting.

February 1, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
      • derp

"It is a choice made by people who willfully choose to defy God's word, the Bible, regarding this issue" = bibletard.

Every credible scientist on the earth knows it is innate orientation.

The only people who do not accept that are bibletards.

it's not my fault if you fit that description.

February 1, 2013 at 6:12 pm |
    • taco bender

Hating and not agreeing are not the same thing.

February 1, 2013 at 2:42 pm |
  41. Anne and Charles

We wrote a comment voicing our opinion that homosexuality is wrong and it's now "awaiting moderation" by the CNN editors. It was a very respectful comment. We didn't use one foul word, nor did we threaten anyone. It just shows that CNN is completely biased, sensors those who disagree with their godless positions, is opposed to true freedom of speech and as such, has made themselves a tool of the devil.

February 1, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
    • JustinD

Your lack of Constitutional knowledge is not very surprising to me. I just wanted to point out that CNN generally has no obligation to respect your rights of "free speech". The First Amendment applies only to the federal government and to the state governments via the Fourteenth Amendment. Just like I don't have to respect your First Amendment right to believe in a book of fairy tales.

February 1, 2013 at 3:52 pm |
  42. Sonny

This restaurant needs to be closed by force or by law.

February 1, 2013 at 1:43 pm |
    • GimmieAbreak

Ignorant hypocrite attack. Hey, have the courage of your convictions and go close a store by force yourself. Didn't think so. Vacuous wind bag.

February 1, 2013 at 1:50 pm |
      • Entrepreneur

I just did. Own a majority steak in a series of franchises and I have just pulled the plug on the financing. Highly successful straight man shuts down restaurants in his investment portfolio because he realizes he's been doing the wrong thing in paying into a hate-based corporate entity. Thanks for moving me to do the right thing.

February 1, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
    • Anne and Charles

By what law???? What law have they broken??? You can't name a single one. They haven't refused to serve anyone. They haven't refused to hire anyone. But you would have them closed by the government because they don't agree with your gross and disgusting perversion. You're no better than the Nazis who, by the way, had many homosexuals in their ranks. Homosexuals are often very angry people because they've seared their own consciences as with a branding iron, and those with seared consciences typically refuse to take responsibility for their condition and lash out at others. And whether you realize it or not, it's true.

February 1, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
      • Elsie

What exactly is a "seared consciences" You make it sound like someone took their consciences out and cooked them on the barbie.

Your statement makes it clear, you are a NUTTER. But God loves nutters too! Just like he loves ALL his children. What God hates, and you can find this out for yourself if you READ the Bible, are hypocrites and HATERS. So, don't be a hater.

February 1, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
        • Mike

Hi Elsie...there is that word again..."hater"...a new word from the lexicon of suppression from the gay rights movement. I've been studying the Bible for 37 years...it might suprise to learn from the Bible that there something that God really hates. He hates sin. And in the Bible, He has said that homosexuality is sin. But...big but here, it also says that God loves us very much....and that the greatest demonstration of that love was when He sent His Son to die as an atonement for our sins. Please note, He did not compromise with sin, He judged it in His Son on the cross of Calvary. But...another big but here, if people willfully choose to reject God's plan for our sins, then they will personally experience His justice for their sin. So, I would encourage you to go back and reread your Bible...all of it.

February 1, 2013 at 2:43 pm |
      • Uh, No No

You are profoundly stupid – the Nazi exterminated homosexuals. The Nazis were fanatical heterosexual perverts much like yourself. What ARE YOU SO AFRAID OF? I've never seen grown adults so frightened of something that doesn't impact them at all. You are nothing more than a negative, hateful, creature. Its sad and I pray for YOU.

February 1, 2013 at 2:40 pm |
      • Entrepreneur

Your mental state is the gross perversion. What is your problem you bile spewing piece of garbage? Please, enlighten us. Your advanced education is in which field? You are some stellar scholar based on what? You should be ashamed of yourself. You clearly have no moral compass. And if you actually do your research, as I assume you know how to do research, you'll find that some have actually engaged in illegal hiring and firing practices; and ethically, the organizations to which they have contributed have absolutely committed legal offenses.

February 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
      • David

I'm sorry, what? Gross perversion? Wickedness? Nazi's? (You have it backwards, genius...you sound like the Nazi's with your blind hate and disgust of someone who is different). And please, "well beyond 2 PhD's". Who cares? It's been eons since anyone though that a degree makes you smart. In fact, in most cases...it makes you narrow. God, the most disturbing and warped people are the ones armed with degrees AND bigotry...they actually think what they say stands to the scrutiny of logic. Here, let me look up reason and intelligence...oh here it is, right next to sheep who spout words like perversion and wickedness...moron.

February 1, 2013 at 3:03 pm |
    • Gameboy

People will decide if they stay open or close.

February 1, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
    • n222s

Sonny, think about what it is you are saying. They should be closed by force of law. In other words, the government should decide, based upon some standard of government imposed morality, the stores that should be open and should be closed. Perhaps they should be rounded up and placed in camps. You know, where they could concentrate on the errors of their ways.

In your world Sonny, what is the standard that should be maintained for being closed and being opened by force of law? Come on, now. Tell us how your moral compass and that of the benevolent government should be used to determine the viability of a business.

Stand for freedom Sonny. If you believe gay people should have the right to marry, good for you. However, how does a government enforced restriction of the rights of others to be wrong (in your opinion) advance the cause for freedom? You simply want to exchange one type of oppression for another. Bad idea.

February 1, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
      • Mike

Well said.

February 1, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
      • Uh, No No

It's funny that the very case you make is a direct reflection of the TACTICS used by the Christian Fanatical Right to deny people jobs, housing, the right to marry, and oh so much more. Your dull knife slices both ways.

February 1, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
    • Mike

That is exactly something that Heinrich Himmler would have said. By your standards, why not close down San Francisco?

February 1, 2013 at 2:26 pm |
  43. Anne and Charles

This slanderous attack on Chick-fil-A should be worn by the Chick-fil-A management as a badge of honor. Anytime the wicked assail you, you're doing something right. Moreover, their unfounded attacks, with their totally convoluted reasoning and twisted accusations, show how desperately sick and evil and these homosexual persons are.

February 1, 2013 at 1:40 pm |

Cookoo for cocoa puffs!

February 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
      • Anne and Charles

And what's cookoo about what I've said. Baseless scoffing just proves my point, that homosexuals are just angry people who can't possibly justify their cause or position and so they lie by telling convoluted stories and making up baseless buzz words such as "homophobic," which they use to wrongly accuse those who tell the truthand shine the light on their darkness. It's the age old scheme of attempting to discredit your opponent when you know that you are wrong and he is right, and it shows how sick and desperately evil they are.

February 1, 2013 at 2:05 pm |
        • David

you absolute sinner. you proclaim to know absolute truth? you know right from wrong? are you....god? wow. by your own standards, you are going to burn in hell. i'm sorry.

February 1, 2013 at 4:07 pm |
    • palintwit

Get back in your trailer, bagger filth. nascar's on.

February 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
      • Anne and Charles

That’s just another attempt to discredit anyone who tells you the truth. I don't live in a trailer, I hate Nascar and I'm at the top of my field... well beyond two PhD's. But your comment shows how unreasonable, bigoted and hateful those of your position so often are... to assume anyone with this position lives in a trailer and loves Nascar… You are hateful, you are bigoted and you are a hypocrite.

February 1, 2013 at 2:12 pm |
        • sam

Did it take both of you to type this? Are you conjoined twins? And which one of you is responsible for wiping?

February 1, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
        • Uh, No No

Anne and Charles – Phds are a dime a dozen – I have two myself and the person you are mocking is frustrated because we live in a world where supposedly educated people such as YOURSELF spew hatred and oppression. You should use your fine education to advance the cause of Democracy, Freedom, Compassion, Education. Rather, it seems your life is headed in some other direction. Alas – what to do. Oh, I know, I'm going to my country house with my legally married gay husband and entertain my intelligent straight friends this weekend. Hope you have a lovely time, as well. Ta.

February 1, 2013 at 2:44 pm |
        • SeilnoigileR

You say that they are 'hateful and bigoted', yet in your post you call anyone gay 'sick and evil' – pot meet kettle.

February 1, 2013 at 3:20 pm |
    • Robin

No one is slandering anyone. Chick-fil-A gives money to organizations actively fighting against equal rights for gay people. Slander implies something have been said to harm their image. If you want people to say kinder things about you, be kinder.

February 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm |
      • Anne and Charles

Robin, homosexuals already have equal rights. That’s just more disinformation. Homosexuals have built that case by claiming that they were born homosexual and that it’s an okay thing when in truth, it’s not a perversion. As for your opposition to Chick-fil-A for supporting those who are stand for traditional values, since when is that illegal? That one guy is saying that Chick-fil-A ought to be closed down by force of law, implying that they’ve done something wrong. And you have the nerve (or blindness) to claim that no one is slandering these people? It’s perfectly clear to any honest person that it’s the homosexual lobby that are the hateful bigots and insolent persecutor of anyone who stands in their way of dragging down the entire society. You may not like it, and you may not want to believe it, but you know that to be true. You are wrong no matter how much you don’t like it and refuse to admit it.

February 1, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
        • Robin

It's difficult to know where to begin because there is so much here that makes no sense. I'll just leave off how you KNOW what I KNOW and how I'm just wrong – all of that is plain silliness. But, to your question "since when is it illegal" for someone to state his opinion, I'll simply point out how that has nothing to do with anything I said. Of course he has the right to his opinion and the right to say whatever he likes. He also has the right to spend his company's proceeds in a manner he sees fit. What doesn't he have a right to? My money. I'm not taking anything that belongs to him by not patronizing Mr. Cathy's restaurants. That's what blows my mind here. There's no free speech violation. No hate. I'm just eating someplace else. That's it. If you want to lay your own distorted world view over that, then that's your choice.

February 1, 2013 at 4:47 pm |
    • L

Ann and Charles, I hope you have a gay kid or grandkid some day. Then maybe (and this is a big maybe) you'll realize being gay is not a choice. I am straight myself but have many gay friends and trust me, nobody would choose to subject themselves to the vicious cruelty, judgment and hypocrisy you've just displayed...the likes of which they often encounter on daily basis from 'religious' people like you.

Matthew 7:1-5 “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye."

James 4:12 "There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor? "

John 8:7 "And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.”

James 1:26 "If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless."

Ephesians 4:29 "Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear."

February 1, 2013 at 2:31 pm |
      • Mike

"For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteosness." Romans 1: 18
        "For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshipped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is Blessed forever, Amen. For this reason, God gave them over to degrading passions; for their woman exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their persons the due penalty of their error." Romans 1: 25-27

"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word fo truth"

Point 1: God's word is supposed to be used to "judge" right from wrong, moral from immoral...we're not supposed to ignore this.

Point 2: God is the judge. He will judge on that day. The judgment, however, we are exhorted in the Bible to exercise has to do with the above mentioned determinations...not the execution of God's provisions for sin.

Point 3: Throwing a collection of verses together as proof texts to distort God's standards is a dangerous way to misuse scripture. That would be the point of 2 Tim. 2: 15.

February 1, 2013 at 3:02 pm |
        • sam

Ah, fundies and their cherry picked bible quotes. Did you have those handy, Mike, or did you get your jimmies rustled and had to go gather them to prove how awesome you are?

February 1, 2013 at 3:08 pm |
        • David

Mike, I am moral. By every single account and rule stated in christianity, I am a good christian person, with flaws like everyone else. And yet, I live in a world much different than yours. No God I know judges. I don't need God to be moral and just. There is no hell, no satan. Made up by men. And yet, I can still live in peace among others, much better than many of those who profess to be "christians", and yet seethe with hate at anyone who doesn't follow rules written by men for men. God can still exist in this world. In fact, even more purely, more naturally. So Mike, can any human commit a sin so great that it exceeds God's ability to forgive it? Congratulations, your religion's logic has just made man more powerful than God. Makes sense...

February 1, 2013 at 3:15 pm |
    • sam

I've decided you're sick and evil. There, now it's true, because I said it.

February 1, 2013 at 2:38 pm |
    • James

Hatred is wicked, not homosexuals.

February 1, 2013 at 2:44 pm |
    • Entrepreneur

This is funny because with each comment your veil of "normalcy" unravels further. With regard to the "wicked who assail you" meaning you are in fact right – you've just proven that gays are in fact in the right as they are subject to untold "wicked" by folks such as yourself. And you are boring. Bye.

February 1, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
  44. Anne and Charles

This slanderous attack on Chick-fil-A should be worn by the Chick-fil-A management as a badge of honor. Anytime the wicked assail you, you're doing something right. Moreover, their vicious and unfounded attacks, with their totally convoluted reasoning and twisted accusations, show how desperately sick and evil and these homosexual persons are.

February 1, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
    • RC

Wow...took two of you to write that, huh?

May 24, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
  45. bryanbeus

I can understand if you feel that you've been targeted, Virginia.
    Chic-Fil-A has stepped out of this arena.
    It's time to forgive.

February 1, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
  46. Woody

Fried chicken tast good but the problem is it is a killer in more ways than one . Look up all of the different things chickens contain salmonella for one , than add in fried foods is a killer . Then go make your own decision how long you want to be around !

February 1, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
    • Mike

Name one raw food that doesn't have a trace of salmonella on it prior to cooking. To say that chicken exclusively contains salmonella as a component of its make-up is false.

February 1, 2013 at 1:49 pm |
      • sam

He didn't say it was exclusive, you idiot.

February 1, 2013 at 2:46 pm |
  47. Todd

"I, too, am a Christian. I am also a Lesbian." Can you say Oxymoron?? I knew you could!

February 1, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
    • Neo-antiCon

Depends on which church she belongs to. Not all Christians are ignorant and prejudiced, any more than all Americans are ignorant and prejudiced. Christianity is not a single set or interpretation of beliefs, and many perfectly Christian and religious people support their gay friends and family members.

February 1, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
    • Observer

Todd,

'I, too, don't support slavery. I, too, don't support discrimination against women and the handicapped. I, too, believe everything the Bible says"

Can you say OXYMORON?

February 1, 2013 at 1:43 pm |
      • TheTruth

Clearly you have no knowledge of the Bible or it's teachings.

February 1, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
        • Todd

No one says a Lesbian can't be loving or show love...but as long as they are living in their sin, i.e., a practicing homosexual lifestyle, then they are not true Bible believing Christians. BTW, neither are Mormons or Jehovah W's...and no one shows more love than they do.

February 1, 2013 at 2:29 pm |
      • Todd

Yeah...ummm...thanks for that reply. Kinda went all over the place with that. Slavery, women and handicapped?? Stop reaching friend. But thanks for the laugh!

February 1, 2013 at 2:06 pm |
    • M

I can say "moron" in reference to who wrote this post. Does that count?

If you think being gay and being a Christian are mutually exclusive, you have a lot to learn about your faith.

February 1, 2013 at 1:44 pm |
      • taco bender

Incorrect. God condemns it. Better go read the Bible again and maybe use a highlighter this time.

February 1, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
        • TheTruth

Sorry Taco, M is right. The Bible points out all kinds of sins, but it's to draw our attention to the fact that none of us is, or ever will be, perfect. We have lesbians in our church – they're wonderful ladies who are very involved and loving – and they're very highly respected. For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
          When God says whoever, I believe Him.

February 1, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
        • Entrepreneur

Funny – the bible actually does not call out homosexuality in its texts at all. It has merely been interpreted by the paranoid among us. P. S. it was written by normal old human beings – not god.

February 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
        • Neo-antiCon

Yes, the bible lists many sins, many of which any anti-homosexual on this forum has committed, often more than once, just as any of us probably has. They focus on biblical injunctions against homosexuality because it suits their prejudices, not through any particular commitment in their lives to sin-free living. "Let he who is without" sin means nothing to these people, for all their professed love of the teachings of Jesus, because that one is a little inconvenient for them to have to follow.

February 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
        • taco bender

It's not my word it is the Lords. You can try to twist it up however you want. It is a sin. Yes, everyone sins but living in sin is a different story.

February 1, 2013 at 4:24 pm |
      • Todd

No "M" that does not count! You CAN NOT be a Christian and a practicing Gay or Lesbian!! No practicing homosexual can be a true Christian. Just like a practicing pedophile or murderer or thief can't be a true Christian. When you become a Christian according to the Bible you turn away from your sin...not towards it. Get a clue!

February 1, 2013 at 2:01 pm |
        • taco bender

This is true.

February 1, 2013 at 4:26 pm |
    • Poor Todd

You are the oxymoron, Todd. Notice it isn't capitalized you brainless putz.

February 1, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
      • Todd

Love your middle name...feel sorry your parents named you Poor. Kinda odd. And I did notice "it" isn't capitalized. Why would it?? It's not even at the beginning of a sentence. Poor, Poor Todd. Thx for the laugh...again.

February 1, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
    • Wrathbrow

It is the sexual orientation that forms the Oxy part, the religious belief with magical beings forms the other part.

February 1, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
  48. GenYer

I just do not like Chick-fil-a. Their food is horribad. I know, horribad is not a word, but it needs to be when it comes to discussing the taste and texture of Chick-fil-a food. I tried it 3 times. The third time, I only took 1 bite before I realized that it was not a couple of flukes, it is just bad food. Soggy, over salted and like all other fast foods- bad for anyone that eats it. I am not gay, nor am I religious. Just do not like the food and the only reason I think this chef does is because it inspires childhood memories of living in the south.

February 1, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
  49. mikeyfan

Sure it was about Free Speech, But the Politically correct people call it hate speech because it was something they didn't agree with. Why is it they can say what they want to say and all is good, but when someone says something they disagree with it's now hate speech? And I'm sure Chick-fil-A won't go out of business becuase this biased individual has a bad taste in her mouth. Talk about being prejudiced

February 1, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
    • derp

We were just talking about this at our last KKK rally. These darn PC police are constantly calling us intolerant because we don't think blacks and jews should have the same rights as we do.

That is our opinion and we are entitled to our free speech. Just because you don't agree with us does not make what we say "hate speech".

I can't stand when people who are INTOLERANT of our beliefs call us INTOLERANT.

Darn liberals ruin everything!

February 1, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
    • derp

We were just talking about this at our last Klan rally. These darn PC police are constantly calling us intolerant because we don't think blacks and jews should have the same rights as we do.

I can't stand when people who are intolerant of our beliefs call us intolerant.

Darn liberals ruin everything!

February 1, 2013 at 1:52 pm |
    • Jack

I'm wondering if you would feel the same way if they were supporting an organization that caused harm to you or your family?

February 1, 2013 at 2:12 pm |
    • Robin

If the story started and stopped where Mr. Cathy made his "guilty as charged" remark, then it would have (almost) been an issue of free speech. Of course, it wouldn't really be a first amendment issue because the first amendment protects against the rights of individuals to speak freely being infringed upon by the government. It does not guarantee Mr. Cathy or any other business owner a right to MY cash. Moreover, he didn't just SAY he was against marriage. Chick-fil-A took company proceeds (money I spent there) and gave it to (in addition to many wonderful causes) hate organizations fighting against equal rights for many, many American citizens.

February 1, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
      • mwilli01

Which they are totally allowed to do. It's not a public company, they can donate money to whoever they want.

Don't like it? Then get your fat ass out of the store and on a treadmill every now and then.

February 1, 2013 at 2:36 pm |

You seem fun.

February 1, 2013 at 3:04 pm |
        • Robin

Intelligent retort! I work at a gym.

February 1, 2013 at 4:50 pm |
  50. Titan

I'm trying to think of something less important then if the owner of a bad fast food chain supports gay rights or not. Hmmm.....nope. Nothing.

February 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
    • derp

Yes it is completely unimportant that the CEO of a national chain was pouring profits into organizations that are actively seeking to strip a certain group of our citizens of their civil rights.

Nothing to see here, move along.

February 1, 2013 at 1:43 pm |
      • Jake

Can't strip away rights that they never had to begin with... I can't stand the hypocracy – both sides are being self-righteous.

February 1, 2013 at 2:32 pm |
        • Primewonk

So gay folks are not US citizens? The 14th amendment doesn't apply to anyone who is gay? When SCOTUS ruled that marriage was a fundamental civil right, it shouldn't have been aplied to gay folks?

I would posit that gay folks have had their rights blocked. Folks like Cathy have wedged themselves between gay folks and the constîtution.

Cathy, and his ilk, are no better than the religious racists of years past who stood on the schoolhouse steps blocking the black kids from entering.

February 1, 2013 at 2:47 pm |
        • sam

That's the whole point, Jake. The rights should be equal. Don't be a tool.

February 1, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
    • Mike in NYC

Less important???? How about whether or not a gay chef EATS at a bad fast food chain where the president doesn't supports gay rights?

February 1, 2013 at 1:47 pm |