Opinion: Chick-fil-A controversy leaves a bitter taste for some longtime fans
January 31st, 2013

Chefs with Issues is a platform for chefs and farmers we love, fired up for causes about which they're passionate. Virginia Willis, a graduate of L'Academie de Cuisine and Ecole de Cuisine LaVarenne, is the author of "Bon Appétit, Y’all" and "Basic to Brilliant, Y'all."

As a chef and food writer, I rarely eat fast food. The quality is generally atrocious and much of it is radically unhealthy. The menu offerings are the polar opposite of local and seasonal. There are dire implications concerning worker’s rights and wages, as well as animal welfare and factory farms.

It doesn’t matter where you are in the country, every interstate exit is identical with the same usual suspects offering the same sad sacks of chemically laced, artificially flavored fare, all swimming in high-fructose corn syrup. Cheap, fast food is at the core of what is wrong with our food system.

Yet, there’s one thing that trumps my French-training and chef sensibilities; I love Chick-fil-A.

As a native Georgian, it’s been a part of my life my entire life. Chick-fil-A is a Southern institution. It’s the only place in America where you can ask for a “half and half” and receive a perfect blend of sweet and unsweetened tea, not a dairy product. In truth, the quality of Chick-fil-A food is superior to many fast food establishments. The salads, slaws, tea and lemonade are made daily from scratch in the restaurants, not at a commissary kitchen seven states away.

My favorite sandwich is the classic fried chicken sandwich on the buttered bun. The steam from the slightly sweet, golden brown chicken condenses inside the foil-lined package and wilts the bread, just enough. I prefer plain, no lettuce, no tomato, just mayonnaise, and the perfect pop of sour pickle.

I’ve always known that founder Truett Cathy was a religiously conservative Christian. I applaud the fact that he’s closed on Sundays and strong in his faith. The outlets are part of the local community, supporting the schools and sports teams. I admire the work of Chick-fil-A’s WinShape Foundation in regards to foster homes, scholarships and education, food donations for disaster relief, first responders and the military. Service, volunteering and giving back are at the heart of Chick-fil-A, qualities I aspire to, advocate and admire.

I, too, am a Christian. I am also a lesbian. And while many religious conservatives think I am going to burn in hell and my existence is a crime against nature, I refuse to believe that God doesn’t love me because I am gay. I refuse to believe that God made a mistake.

I refuse to believe that something is wrong with me and I need “conversion therapy.” I refuse to call those anti-same sex marriage groups "pro-family" because that doesn’t include my very real family, my love and my commitment to my partner. I also absolutely refuse to believe that if I choose to marry another woman that I am somehow harming the institution of marriage.

Controversy erupted last summer with Chick-fil-A president and chief operating officer Dan Cathy's remarks about being against gay marriage, “guilty as charged.” It led to Mike Huckabee’s crusade, Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day and the subsequent boycott of Chick-fil-A by gay, lesbian and like-minded individuals, myself included.

The Chick-fil-A website states that the corporate giving has been “mischaracterized.” Well, there’s nothing “mischaracterizing” about their – now former – funding of the ultra-conservative groups such as Family Research Council, Eagle Forum and Exodus International, all aggressively anti-homosexual.

Just this week, gay rights organization Campus Pride issued a statement claiming that Chick-fil-A gave the organization's executive director, Shane Windmeyer, access to recent Chick-fil-A tax documents. After reviewing the company's 2011 and 2012 financials – which have not been released publicly – Windmeyer said Chick-fil-A no longer gives funds to “the most divisive anti-LGBT groups.”

For a long time, I cast a blind eye towards Chick-fil-A's corporate giving and, through my patronage, contributed to the very religious conservative groups that abhor my existence. Ah, the power of a chicken sandwich. But, when it all came to a head last summer, I could no longer ignore it. I quit supporting Chick-fil-A and said farewell to my favorite beverage, the perfect thirst-quenching combination of a half-and-half tea.

The truth is that Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day was not about freedom of speech. It was simply a thinly veiled protest against homosexuals, period. Those swarms of conservatives weren’t lining up around the block getting waffle fries and chicken sandwiches to protest such lofty ideals as upholding the constitution and protecting the First Amendment. I believe they were showing that they are united against same-sex marriage and against gays, in general.

So, earlier this week I drew a shallow breath of relief when the news surfaced that Chick-fil-A wasn’t as aggressively homophobic and had quit funding the groups. The company website states, “Our intent is not to support political or social agendas.”

The recent news may have influenced me subconsciously stopping and picking up a half-and-half tea just this very morning, the first I’ve had since summer. I enjoyed it thoroughly, but going forward, I’m honestly not certain what I will do - if I will continue my renewed patronage of Chick-fil-A or not. Truthfully, I now have a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth and sadly, my once perfect half-and half tea just doesn’t taste as sweet.

Previously - Opinion: Why I’m celebrating Chick-fil-Gay Appreciation Day and Fast food with a side of faith and Chicken and politics

soundoff (3,041 Responses)
  1. Andrew

I am pretty sure that if you go to Chic-Fil-A, boldy announce you are a lesbian to the cashier, place your order, and then pay for it....you will get your food. It was your choice to boycott the store and to not associate with those who disagree with you....but it is their fault? When did disagreement equal hatred? I am a Christian, I don't believe a homosexual lifestyle is moral, I do think sometimes people are "born that way", and I do not hate you. Come over for dinner and bring your partner with you. We will have a nice dinner and talk about sports...but you can't...because you think I hate you.

February 1, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
    • Sunlight

Formalities of a polite society are important, like being nice to people who come to your house, just because it is right. But should you really expect people to want to come over to your house for dinner when they know that you fundamentally think there is something "wrong" with them. . . Something that is a core part of who they are, something that they should be proud of. I think you don't really understand how insulting your opinion is to people who are part of the LGBT community or people, like myself, that just believe that people should be able to love who they want to.

February 1, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
      • FoolKiller

You remind me of that stereotypic parent…
        “You’re not just going to eat it… you’re going to LIKE it!”
        SLAP

February 1, 2013 at 3:02 pm |
        • sam

You remind of the standard internet jackass.

February 1, 2013 at 3:06 pm |
    • JT

"I don't believe a homosexual lifestyle is moral"

Is this a typo? Did you mean to say "amoral"?

Because if you really think that someone is going to want to come over for supper at your place knowing that you considier yourself morally superior (and openly acknowledge it) then you're delusional.

Are there amoral homosexuals? Of course, just like there are amoral heterosexuals. The point is that their sexual identification has no bearing on their morality or more directly, the type of life they lead.

Maybe it was a typo, maybe you really feel superior to any and all homosexuals... but either way we can agree that nobody is going to want to hang out with someone that openly judges them to be inferior by accident of birth.

February 1, 2013 at 2:16 pm |
    • Primewonk

"It was your choice to boycott the store and to not associate with those who disagree with you....but it is their fault? When did disagreement equal hatred?"

Except of course, that this isn't about folks who "disagree" with gay folks. This is about folks who are actively engaged with groups who seek to make being gay a crime. They are actively engaged with companies who seek to pass laws and constîtutional amendments making gay folks second class citizens not worthy of the same civil rights as straight folks.

February 1, 2013 at 2:54 pm |
  2. palintwit

There's nothing a teabilly likes more than going to a Chick-fil-A for dinner after a day of fondling ammunition at the Walmart gun and knife dept.

February 1, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
    • NorCalMojo

If people want to let hateful people like this dictate where they can and can't eat, they don't deserve a tasty chicken sandwich anyway.

February 1, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
    • mikeyfan

too bad you will never know the feeling of the good things in life.

February 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
    • Kitten

wow, you are so clever...

February 1, 2013 at 2:20 pm |
  3. NorCalMojo

Gays have become as puritanical and intolerant as the people they whine about.

Eat what you like where you want to and stop worrying about what your judgemental friends think about it.

February 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
  4. Jason C

This is what the LGBT community does not get. Almost everybody supports giving you the same benefits and protections under the law as hetero couples. In fact, I whole heartedly support that and would like to see it done today. However, what we don't support is calling it marriage so the agenda-pushing factions in your community don't bee-line into the schools pushing books of 'My Two Dads' or 'My Two Moms' into the hands of 7 year olds. These are topics that we want to broach with our kids. Not the government, you, or the ridiculously PC schools feeding them agendas that they are not equipped to process.

February 1, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
    • derp

"Almost everybody supports giving you the same benefits and protections under the law as hetero couples. In fact, I whole heartedly support that and would like to see it done today"

The supreme court has already ruled that marriage is a civil right. There are certain legal and financial benefits that are expressed through marriage only.

"However, what we don't support is calling it marriage"

So you either support granting marriage rights, or you oppose equal rights.

Is this too hard for you knuckle draggers to understand?

February 1, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
      • DStellz

Some people are religious, and consider marriage a pact between a man and a woman, and only a man and a woman. I think they have every right to believe in that, it doesn't make them a knuckle dragger. You shouldn't berate someone for their view, especially a view that was not aggressively offensive.

I have no problem with gay marriage, and I'm not religious, but I respect the opinions of those who feel differently.

February 1, 2013 at 1:55 pm |
        • derp

"You shouldn't berate someone for their view, especially a view that was not aggressively offensive"

I find abject stupidity to be aggressively offensive.

The above moron states that he supports extending all legal rights and privileges to hom ose xuals, then immediately points out exactly which right he wishes to not extend to them.

it is quite possibly the dumbest post made on this thread today.

I do not suffer idiocy quietly.

If you chose to, well then good for you.

February 1, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
      • Jason C

LOL, you're a black and white thinker. Who's a knuckle dragger? You think in a box. There is nothing that says we can't have laws that say that legal unions or civil unions must have the same rights as marriage under the law. Why alot of you are throwing fits is that you want to push an agenda. Sorry, I'm not on board with that.

February 1, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
      • MidwestJoe

So you want to consider a union between to gays as marriage. Forget about the biblical definition of marriage, that is not the historical definition of marriage. "Civil Rights" this is not a civil rights issue you have the same rights as anone else. The institution of marriage has been celebrated because it builds families, that it turn build cimmunities, who in turn build cities etc.

Areas were the family foundation has broken down (urban out of wedlock children) do not fare well. That is why society has celebrated marriage. A gay union does not provide that and does not deserve the elevated place in society regardless of your moral views.

Are you going to accuse G-d of discriminating because Gays cannot procreate? Or maybe if you don't believe in G-d you are the result of evolution gone wrong and will eventually be weeded out by natural selection (Darwinism etc). Either people have had of pushing your agenda on the mainstream, and trying to justify your actions by creating a "new Normal"

Do not many pedophiles feel there is nothing wrong with their actions? Perhaps the feel discriminated against as well? Are we violating their civil rights? May sound radical, but I am sure with enough PR and pressure you can accomplish anything.

February 1, 2013 at 2:33 pm |
    • bighulawood

STFU.

February 1, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
      • sixin

Could you please elaborate?

February 1, 2013 at 2:12 pm |
    • Brian

Jason. Here is what the LGBT "does" get. We appreciate that you are in favor of our community having the same rights as hetero couples. We GET that we are born this way. And, while you may feel your 7 year old is not ready to be introduced to "My Two Dads" or "My Two Moms", we GET that your 7 year old has been bombarded with all kinds of queues for the first 7 years of their life about how "My Mom and Dad" is the only normal. We GET that we felt different even at 5 and 6 years old. We just didn't know why. That 7 year old already knows there is something different about them. Children need to see there are different "legitimate" norms. Unless, of course, what you really mean is, 'it's not time yet to introduce the 7 year old to alternative "wrong" lifestyles'. Because that is the message you're sending. We GET that.

February 1, 2013 at 2:07 pm |
      • Jason C

Again, you're making assumptions. My two kids (one 7) stay the night at a house with two moms. But, guess what, I get to explain that to them myself. I get to say there's nothing wrong with it the way I want to say it. Unlike when my older son that brought home a book from the library. Then, the conversation had started without me. If you weren't interested in shoving this down everybody's throat, everybody would have shrugged and the civil union thing would have slid through without a hitch. Now, you'll have to spend another generation fighting about it in the courts. And what you have caused is people to change their mind from – what happens between two people is none of our business into leering at gay people to see if they're pushing an agenda.

February 1, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
        • Brian

Jason, you are also making assumptions. You wrote, "I get to say there's nothing wrong with it". No. You don't get to say there's nothing wrong with it. We're not talking about your child punching another child, or using profanity. People are born gay. It's not about being right or wrong. Nobody gets to decide if all people are created equal or not. It is an inalienable right. You do get to decide whether you're part of helping people feel equal as they grow up. But that's it.
          You wrote, "the conversation started without me". Yes, it did. It always does. For people who are different, the conversation starts at birth. You were the one who was NOT ready to talk about it. You wrote, "interested in shoving this down everybody's throat". Historically all struggles for freedom and rights initially appear this way, e.g – Women's right to vote, Racial equality, Workplace equality. You wrote, "would have slid through without a hitch". No, it wouldn't have.

February 1, 2013 at 2:55 pm |
        • Jason C

@Brian – another condesending, simple-minded comment. Yes, I do get to teach my kids whatever I deem appropriate, not you, the government or anybody else. And this subject, which is intertwined with sexuality, makes it more complicated. We're not talking about skin color even though that's how you want to characterize the discussion. It's has more dimensions than that. My 10 year old is not ready for discussions about sexual topics, I've tried, he's not ready. So, yes, I DO get to tell him it's ok to have two mommies the way I want to have the discussion, not the way YOU think we should have the discussion. I'm so tired of you nanny state, holier than thou, agenda-ists trying to shove your view of the world down our throats. And don't make any more assumptions, I'm not a Christian or affiliated with any other religion. But you can bet I'm not voting for gay marriage because I know exactly what you think that entitles you too and it's not just equal rights, it's shoving your point of view in people's faces.

February 1, 2013 at 8:32 pm |
  5. MHM

Have never eaten at chick and never will. Just moved to NC where chicks are like dunkin donuts in the northeast where I came from. When I first got here I thought I might try chick. However, their beliefs are much different than my own and therefore, my money will be spend elsewhere.

February 1, 2013 at 1:23 pm |
    • 2nd Amendment

Perhaps you should try the CFA by my office as it seems you're forming opinions with incomplete information. The manager and roughly half the staff are gay. I'm ok with less people going there though... line was OUT THE DOOR yesterday. I don't pay them for political beliefs – I go there to get consistently good food with excellent service at a reasonable price. It bewilders me that so many just have to politicize everything.

February 1, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
    • CES

That is the riight attitude to take – you have an opinion, and you make decisions about if you want to participate or not. The only reason that I stood up for CFA was that after they expressed their views, as an independent, wholly owned company with no government ties or subsidies, several groups demanded that they change their views!.. They weren't happy to merely say to themselves "I guess I won't go there anymore", they said to the whole world "YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELVES FOR HAVING YOUR OPINION< AND I AM GOING TO RAISE HELL UNTIL YOU AGREE WITH ME!"

February 1, 2013 at 2:15 pm |
  6. Chris

Your angst and position that you don't want to go back are hypocritical.

The man said he was against gay marriage. He gave to conservative political funds that, among other things, were extremely anti-homosexual. A political boycott ensued. I say political because since when does the mayor of Boston and Chicago get to say what businesses may and may not have a license. While Chik-fil-a was promoting closed minded positions, they weren't breaking the law, unlike the LAWMAKERS in those cities.

The point of a boycott is to get an organization or person to change their ways. That happened. He listened to his customers that believed differently than him (either because they are gay or because they believe in the LGBT equality agenda). He stopped donating to the christian political groups. If you don't go back, then you're not boycotting for a purpose anymore. You're simply saying it's a "war – us against them." And if you make people choose sides in a battle in which they don't care one way or the other, it's going to be a rude awakening when your side is "the cause" and their side is the "status quo."

Move on. Go get a sandwich tomorrow (or tonight) and pick the next battle.

February 1, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
  7. Bob

Virginia: Newsflash, lots of companies hate you as a lesbian...but few have the balls to publicly announce it.

February 1, 2013 at 1:14 pm |
    • Observer

It doesn't take balls to be a bigot. It takes a lack of intelligence.

February 1, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
      • 2nd Amendment

Interesting you would incorrectly assume that a bigot had no intelligence. The matter is one of opinion, nothing more and nothing less. Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean you are of superior intellect.

February 1, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
        • derp

"Just because someone disagrees with you does not mean you are of superior intellect"

Yes, but when you refer to openly discriminating against someone based on a combination of their innate unchosen orientation, and your outdated iron age myth worship, as a mere disagreement; you clearly are of lesser intelligence.

February 1, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
        • 2nd Amendment

No, it just means they're an @$$hole. Still has nothing to do with intellect. Quit emoting...

February 1, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
        • CES

DERP, seems as though you think that yours is the only right opinion. Interesting that you believe that your intellect to be superior to those who believe differently, but your insistence that you are right indicates that leack of intelligence, not diminished intelligence. Any person of even medium intelliigence would acknowledge that they are not capable of being all-knowing and all-seeing, and that other people may have different opinions, formed through different thought processes. That is how higher intelligence is gained – look at the other person for an opportunity to grow yourself.

February 1, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
        • derp

"That is how higher intelligence is gained – look at the other person for an opportunity to grow yourself

There is not shred of higher intelligence to be gained from people whose world view is rooted in millennia old mythology.

I do not go to a witch doctor for medical advice.

If I have a question about quantum physics I ask a physicist, not a janitor.

I don't seek growth from people whose opinions are predicated on a 2000 year old work of fiction.

February 1, 2013 at 2:37 pm |
        • CES

I rest my case.

February 1, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
        • Entrepreneur

Inferior intelligence isn't about disagreeing – it is about the real consequences of actions. Individuals who live their life with the aim of harming or oppressing someone because they are different than you is in fact the outcome of poor intelligence. The right wing agenda has a clear goal – refuse rights to a large percentage of the population because they are different. No one actually cares if you disagree – people do care if you live your life with this malicious intent. And you apparently do.

February 1, 2013 at 3:00 pm |
    • burntfur

Bob: Newsflash. Once we find out they hate us, we act accordingly and let others know so they can decide for themselves to continue to support or not support the company.

February 1, 2013 at 1:27 pm |
    • hater_n_proud

You go ahead Bob and say your peace...as for the rest of you who dont wanna eat at chic filet...go to McDonald's and try their ANUS-pounder, I hear it's to die for....

February 1, 2013 at 1:34 pm |
      • Jim

Wrong "peace," dummy. You need to change your pseudonym to "stupid_n_proud" (I assume "_n_" stands for "and" but you forgot how to spell and use a simple conjunction).

February 1, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
    • Jim

I will never intentionally eat Chick-fil-A again. And I think you are wrong: in general, hating gay people is quickly, and thankfully, becoming a minority position. Moreover, I would guess the vast majority of companies do not hate gay people. Companies love one thing: money and they generally do not care where it comes from. I will never eat at Chick-fil-A again not only becuase its leaders are hateful bigots but because they made a stupid business decision. They have changed their corporate position because such a change makes sound business sense. But it's too late for me.

February 1, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
    • Robin

I will never understand this oft-repeated sentiment with respect to Chick-fil-A – that it is somehow commendable for someone to put his or her bigotry right out in the open. No, that does not impress me, any more than does a person foolish enough to make a racist joke. Certainly Mr. Cathy and his company can do as it likes with its proceeds. Likewise, I can spend my money (or not) wherever I choose – for any reason. It just so happens that they have provided a me with a very good reason not to give them any of my money.

February 1, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
  8. The Chick Fill-A

Guys that like Guys just means more poon for me!
    Girls that like Girls always invite dudes like me to join them!

It's in the movies, it has to be true.

February 1, 2013 at 1:14 pm |
  9. Horatio Sanborne

I only eat at CFA when I get a coupon for free food. I then pay for nothing else because every few cents I take away from them is a few cents they can't donate to causes that will make my life and this country worse.

February 1, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
    • derp

This is brilliant. I believe you have stumbled onto something.

How awesome would it be to organize, "FREE G A Y FOOD DAY" at Chic fil a. Flood the sores once a month with droves of hom ose xuals getting free food and buying nothing at all.

I'm not even g a y and I would get in on this.

Oh the irony.

February 1, 2013 at 1:28 pm |
    • djc60

You are probably one of those who wants everything for free, and will use it to your everyday advantage. free, free, free, free.

February 1, 2013 at 1:31 pm |
      • derp

And you are obviously a moron who turns down free things when someone hands them too you.

February 1, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
        • 2nd Amendment

Wow. Doesn't take much to get you to resort to name-calling, does it

February 1, 2013 at 1:37 pm |

Not usually......idiot.

February 1, 2013 at 2:13 pm |
  10. Nick

I still don't understand why people such as yourself insist that supporting traditional-family organizations means that said organizations or its supporters "abhor her existence". I am a conservative Christian who believes that homosexuality is a sinful lifestyle, but I do not hate gays. Sure, I may disagree with the way they choose to live their lives, but I also disagree with people who live together and are unmarried, or who have abortions, or who live lavish lifestyles with no regard for the less fortunate – but I do not -hate- any of these people. It seems to me that -this- is where the "mischaracterization" can be found: that to disagree must be interpreted as hatred for the opposing opinion holders.

February 1, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
    • derp

"but I also disagree with people who live together and are unmarried, or who have abortions, or who live lavish lifestyles with no regard for the less fortunate"

All of those things are indeed a "lifestyle".

Innate se xual orientation is not.

If you are too stupid to understand the difference, please refrain from posting with the grown ups.

February 1, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
      • 2nd Amendment

In short, anyone who doesn't hold exactly the same beliefs as you, you disagree with. Now who, did you say, was the bigot?

February 1, 2013 at 1:39 pm |
        • James

I am guessing you don't know the true definition of "bigot" and have never read the 2nd Amendment which makes you under qualified to dish up the garbage they serve at Chic-fil-a.

February 1, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
        • derp

It's not a matter of beliefs you blithering twit.

Its a matter of accurate terminology. Se xual orientation has a complete and totally different definition than lifestyle. They are not the same. Just because you inbred dullards want to call "orientation" a "lifestyle" or a "dog" a "zebra" for that matter, does not make it accurate.

Hom ose xuality is NOT A LIFESTYLE. Look up the definition in a dictionary. When you refer to orientation as lifestyle, all of the people who are not stupid think that you are.

February 1, 2013 at 2:19 pm |
      • Kip Oliver

They have to call it a "lifestyle", Derp – if it's not a choice, then people must be born gay, which means God made them that way (because God doesn't make mistakes) which means they were wrong the whole time and would need to find another way to validate their own hate. Remember, these are people that have Pastors like Alois Bell as their spiritual leader.

February 1, 2013 at 2:11 pm |
  11. Jimmy-James

The short answer is: Like Chick-Fil-A's founders, you either have your principles and stand by them or you don't. It's your choice. If fried chicken is more important than the way a public entity treats you, then by all means eat it. If not, then don't. As a native Southern as well, you'll understand this part, "Stop hemmin' and hawin' about it."

February 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
  12. Fubarack

Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day was in fact support of the Constitution, specifically 1 A. They have gay employees, it was never about being anti-gay. It's about being free to make ones own decisions in a free country, without being attacked by a mob.

February 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • sam

Suuuuure. Tell yourself whatever little tales make you happy.

February 1, 2013 at 2:51 pm |
  13. tv22

Of course you should eat there. People all around you have different views, and some on both sides of any issue may find the other's view offensive. But the fact is that you don't know the views of every other place you patronize. Do you ask these questions of every establishment you visit? You must realize that you have friends, neighbors, co-workers, collaborators, customers, you name it, that share different values. Have you run a background check on your customers to ensure you don't take dirty money? Of course not.

We all need to separate politics from our daily lives. If you want a chicken sandwich, I can think of no better place than Chick-fil-A.

February 1, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
    • burntfur

Just because you don't know how other companies spend their profits doesn't mean that when you find out, and their spending affects you in some manner, that you ignore the information. Your post is faulty logic.

February 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
    • Terry

We should all be responsible and ask these questions. I want to know, at all times, who benefits from my (taxed) mo ny, and it will never be a misogynistic, homophobic company.

February 1, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
    • James

So discrimination is acceptable as long as it's "out of sight, out of mind" as far as you're concerned? There is NO justification for discrimation of any sort and if you were educated you would understand that politics effect every aspect of a person's life. I wish I could exist in the delusional state of mind that you are in.

February 1, 2013 at 1:37 pm |
    • James

In addition, the fact that you would still eat there after knowing what they stand for is disgusting. If everyone had the same idiotic mentality as you do, we would still have slaves.

February 1, 2013 at 1:43 pm |
  14. Stopthemadness

Seeing how I hate chicken and hate fundamental religious group nothing has changed for me. If you are busy judging others for their behavior you can not possibly call yourself a Christian. I'll be damned if I will ever except a group of hypocrites much less a group over overly pompous people claiming to be religious yet not even following their own religious manuscript. I am a reformed Roman catholic....as in non practicing. All because of the hypocrisy that these organizations portray. You hear all this crap about pro life and making abortions illegal from these groups but not one of them has mentioned making a vasectomy illegal. It's all about do what I say not what I do with these people. They haven't conceded they just try to make it more undercover now. SO up yours Chick fil-A and the bible reading chicken you rode in on.

February 1, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
    • tv22

Interesting you "hate" religious groups, but it's not okay if they "hate" you (they really don't, they think they have the secret to eternal salvation and want to share it with you, is that hate?) Maybe more understanding of people's feelings and opinions rather than hate will get you further along in life.

February 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
      • Stopthemadness

Actually simpleton according to the bible they can't, in both Mathew 7:1 "Do not judge, or you too will be judged."
        And in leviticus in the old testament "Ye shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the person of the poor, nor honour the person of the mighty: but in righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour." This in itself says they can't. If you didn't have your head up your hind quarters you would know to not make comments about thing you obviously don't know.

February 1, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
        • Chris

It's funny how you resort to name-calling when somone doesn't agree with you.

And for someone so against judgemental people, you sure have no qualms about being so yourself.

February 1, 2013 at 1:23 pm |
        • take it easy

Wow. Chris is right. It is a sin against decency to hold someone to a standard that you yourself openly and proudly violate. This is a teaching moment for would be judgmental people: We will all judge, but judge softly when you do so that maybe judgment upon you may also be merciful. Sometimes in order to teach you need to enlighten someone in a way that can be viewed as judgmental. But go easy. If you don't believe in God, at least consider that something similar to karma is out there.

February 1, 2013 at 4:00 pm |
    • sing4ever

I, too, am a former Catholic who renounces the so-called church. The word of God is what has given me the truth of all matters. If we cling to God's own word, and His word as presented by his Son, there is no hypocrisy; they hate hypocrisy, too. Please read the book of John in the Bible, and you will see the truth for yourself.

February 1, 2013 at 1:16 pm |
      • Tom

This comment would be so ironic and hilarious if you became a Protestant, aka fake Christian.

February 1, 2013 at 1:38 pm |
    • Chris

Yes, because an abortion and a vasectomy are the same thing.

February 1, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
  15. Observer

Yes. No matter how perverted they may be, heteros are always welcome at Chick-fil-A. But, of course, bigots don't care about them.

February 1, 2013 at 1:06 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

"No matter how perverted they may be, heteros are always welcome at Chick-fil-A"

Fifty Shades of Grease? 9-1/2 Waffle fries? Chick-Fillies Gone Wild? Deep Cokes? Deliveries in the rear, before ten o' clock?

February 1, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
      • Fido

Wow, you both sound immature. And more than a bit hateful. Small wonder the world is so ****ed up.

February 2, 2013 at 9:02 pm |
    • DanDenver

That sign on the door that says "no gay people allowed" is just despicable...wait...where is that sign again?

February 1, 2013 at 5:01 pm |
      • Todd in DC

It's on the door of the justice of the peace. Why do you ask?

February 1, 2013 at 10:50 pm |
      • Deez

Their money goes toward hate groups. It's the same thing.

February 2, 2013 at 9:52 am |
      • wufusk

Brush up on your reading skills, DanDenver, because nobody ever said that Chick-Fil-A refused to serve gay people. They are happy to take money from gay people, then they turned around and gave part of that money to organizations that were trying to keep those very customers from being equal citizens under the law. If your religion opposes gay marriage, then don't marry someone of the same sex, but do NOT try to force your religious beliefs on me.

February 3, 2013 at 12:04 pm |
  16. Elliott Carlin

Ok article writer, lets recap: 1. You don't need conversion therapy, you need to be converted. 2. Have a conflicted conscience about Chick-Fil-A? then don't eat there.

When you blur the lines, there becomes much more gray. We all know what the Scriptures say about sin and your opinion, or mine for that matter, just doesn't matter. Sin is sin, whether it's lying, murder or sexual perversion.

On that note, it is nice to frequent an establishment where the people serving me don't have rainbow hair or piercings protruding from every visible orifice.

February 1, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

" it is nice to frequent an establishment where the people serving me don't have rainbow hair or piercings" and where they all have white skin? Black people don't seem to make it past the three-month review at the one near me.

February 1, 2013 at 2:27 pm |
  17. KiddSS

For all the author's souls searching and angst Chick Fil A never missed her patronage.
    Cry me a river build a bridge and get over it and yourself.

February 1, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
    • Elliott Carlin

amen and amen

February 1, 2013 at 1:06 pm |
    • saopaco

Yeah why should she complain about marriage inequality or how a corporation supported groups that continue to push for suppression of her civil rights?

She should just be like you and get over the rampant discrimination that keeps her down. Then, do you actually have the same problem, or do you sit on your privilege and gloat at those who do not receive the same protections that you do?

February 1, 2013 at 1:11 pm |
      • Neo-antiCon

I agree with your point, which made me take the thought this way: Maybe she should just accept that she deserves to be treated as a second-class citizen in this country because according to many so-called "conservatives," only the people who believe in their god or their politics deserves equal rights or any rights at all – how many times do we hear these "conservatives" say that liberals and gays should be stripped of their rights and kicked out of the country?

February 1, 2013 at 1:35 pm |
    • Susan

You think they didn't miss her patronage??

Why else do you think Chik-Fil-A publicly announced that they were no longer donating to anti-gay organizations?? THEY WERE LOSING MONEY BECAUSE OF THE BOYCOTT!

February 1, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
      • BaltoPaul

I doubt it was costing them much money. I don't know what it was like where you are, but "appreciation day" was packed where I am, and the "kiss in" was a non-event.

February 1, 2013 at 1:40 pm |
  18. sing4ever

No ma'am, if you are a lesbian you are definitely NOT a Christian. You are deceiving yourself. Jesus taught absolute obedience to God and we know that God hates homosexual conduct. See what the Apostle Paul, who was taught directly from Jesus, wrote at Romans, chapter 1, verses 18-32 and 1 Corinthians 6:9&10 in the Bible. If you reject the truth, that's your problem.

February 1, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
    • sing4ever

Why is the CNN moderator withholding truthful statements?

February 1, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
      • Hugh Jass

It's an automatic word block. Look up "CLBUTTIC" on google.

February 1, 2013 at 1:47 pm |
    • SeilnoigileR

Paul was a misogynistic pig who never met Jesus in person.

February 1, 2013 at 3:39 pm |
  19. Al

I support chick-fil-a they are a good place and the food is good. They don't open on Sundays so that the family can spend time together if they choose to. He have principles and if more places had such good principles there would be less of what is happening today in the country.

February 1, 2013 at 1:02 pm |
  20. ARG

didn't the Chick-Fil-A appreciation day happen after Chick-Fil-A was boycotted? This article reads as if the boycott was because of the appreciation day, but my memory says the situation was the opposite. Chick-fil-A was boycotted because the founder commented that he didn't support Gay Marriage, the appreciation day was a result of the boycott, not the founders view.

February 1, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
    • David

You remember correctly. I support gay marriage, but I've started going to Chick-Fil-A since the boycott. Just because the First Amendment only bars governmental censorship doesn't mean that private punishment of political speech isn't a problem. Refusing to patronize someone you disagree with is one thing. That's your decision. However, trying to arrange an organized boycott to economically harm someone specifically for voicing their political views is nothing but a challenge to free speech.

February 1, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

Right – one of the Cathys specifically identified anti-gay pressure groups they supported heavily, and they are ones who actively crusade to make life harder for gay people. A lot of people were unhappy about that, including me; I'm not gay but I have gay friends and family, and I decline to have my money used to persecute them, so I switched to KFC.
      The Appreciation day was indeed a response to the drop in sales; it brought a lot of people out to eat and increased sales for a month. But it didn't bring in new, loyal customers(like me; I've eaten there since Dwarf Grill and don't care what church they attend) to take the place of the ones who dropped them. I'm not going back; I don't want a fight with my food. It's got zero to do with them being Christians and everything to do with them attacking a group of Americans they don't approve of.

February 1, 2013 at 1:56 pm |
  21. jamessavik

I still don't like waffle fries.

February 1, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
  22. ckerst

Of course you can eat at there. My question is, why would you want to eat that garbage?

February 1, 2013 at 12:56 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

Be fair; their chicken nuggets are superior to those greasebombs McDogfood sells, and Truett Cathy really did pretty invent the chicken burger. KFC has a nugget now as good as Chick-Fil-A's, but it's not the menu people are upset with.

February 1, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
  23. Truth-Seeker

If one critically examines those who want to have sex with people of the same sex, an impossible feat, one would see dysfunction, a lot of unresolved anger and a rejection of God's plan for human sexuality. Exodus International does not hate homosexuals and lesbians but wants them help them resolve their issues that lead them to try to boink people who technically it is impossible for them to have real sex with. With homosexuals, misusing the anus leads to all sorts of health problems. Homosexuals have the highest rate of STDs of all groups, probably something to do with using the anus, the fecal canal, for their sexual behaviors.

I refuse to change the language as the left so tries to do. I refuse to call homosexuals/lesbians partners "couples". I refuse to call them "gay" because they are the opposite of gay. A wife is a woman married to a man and a husband is a man married to a woman. A wife is not a woman married to another woman. A husband is not a man married to another man. It is technically impossible for two people of the same sex to marry because they can never consummate the marriage. Rosie O'Donel does not have a wife, she has a roomate, who in the liberal state she lives in, "Married" these two in real insanity as two women cannot mate to form a real sexual union. She is a typical angry lesbian.

The Left has to ignore a lot of things in their support of any of the issues they support and how they are running the USA into the dirt with their fiscal irresponsibility. As far as I am concerned the Far Left is a bunch of ignorent, asanine, permissive reprobates. They call evil good and good evil. They totally do not get anything of real substance.

Every major world religion condemns homosexual behavior. It shows how huge the Left has to ignore traditional definitions of moral behavior to support homosexuality.

Homosexuals have the right to marry just as anyone else does. It's just that they do not want to marry in the traditional sense of the word. They do not have the right to change the definition of marriage to make it like what they do is the same as traditional marriage because it is FAR from being the same.

Homosexuals bring all sorts of diseases into the human population because of anal "sex".

February 1, 2013 at 12:56 pm |
    • Hugh Jass

" those who want to have sex with people of the same sex, an impossible feat, " Pro Tip: Do NOT google this looking for proof. My eyes! They burn! Wow, are you ever bursting with nutty flavor. How arrogant are you that you want to tell everyone else how to live? You are commanded to to stand ready to bear witness to your faith, not kick down people's doors and scream "Convert or die!" Listen, I think God can probably defend himself against some willowy guys in pink sweaters without needing your 'help.' You need some Prozac© worse than anyone I've run across lately.

February 1, 2013 at 2:09 pm |
  24. eclairer

A moral code founded on anything other than human empathy is arbitrary and heartless.

Those who condemn benign behavior (i.e. that causes no harm to others) are contributing to intolerance, judgment and the subsequent human suffering.

It’s ironic that those who most loudly proclaim their morality are often those most heartless and oppressive.

February 1, 2013 at 12:55 pm |
    • Oh, my

Exactly who's empathy shall we rely on? I have more than some and less than others... so is my personal empathy the right one? What about the sociopath... their lack of empathy okay to base moral code on? Do what feels right – that's what Hitler did....right? Maybe his personal sense of empathy was the wrong one to base moral code on?

Not the best argument I've ever heard.

February 1, 2013 at 1:09 pm |
    • Elliott Carlin

yes chocolate eclair, its a treat having to explain to my child why Bruce likes to bend Shawn over a coffee table and thus gets 'rights'. I'd like my child to be as innocent as long as possible, but the gay agenda and public school is making it very difficult.

February 1, 2013 at 1:09 pm |
  25. MyOpinion

What's funny to me is that all of these conservatives have clicked on an article title that begins with "I'm Gay..." hmmm....

If you don't like it, don't read it. But then what would you have to argue about? I'm sure there is an artical concerning gun rights trending somewhere on CNN at the moment- why don't you go check that one out?

February 1, 2013 at 12:55 pm |
  26. Jim32

Virginia Willis and her kind should continue to boycott Chick-Fill-A. I have been bringing my family to Chick-Fill-A regularly for a meal since the CEO announced his support for family values. Frankly it is been great eating there knowing that there is no deviant lurking around contaminating the place. I really hope gays permanently boycott chick-fill-a and maybe even waffle house and Ihop.

February 1, 2013 at 12:55 pm |
    • MyOpinion

So... what you're saying is you're feeding your family fast food on a regular basis? Fabulous. Are you Honey Boo-Boo's father?

February 1, 2013 at 12:57 pm |
    • CJ in Cali

OK, did I miss something? Why IHOP?

February 1, 2013 at 12:59 pm |
      • Jim32

I don't want the filthy deviant gays anywhere me or my family

February 1, 2013 at 1:01 pm |
        • MyOpinion

Oh Jim, I feel so sorry for you. And I feel very sorry for your children to be raised by such a hateful "man."

I'm sure you really believe gays are deviant when your watching girl on girl porn.

February 1, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
        • Matthew Grant

And I don't want intolerant, judgmental, narrow-minded, pseudo-moral Christians around me or my family. ,

February 1, 2013 at 1:15 pm |
        • fee

Maybe you should move into the woods. How do you know people want to be around you. You are probably on the DL. Why people are always worried about what someones does in their life, I will never understand. People like you are stupid and need not have children anyway. You must hate yourself, thats why you feel the need to criticize others. Do you pay their bills,?

February 1, 2013 at 1:19 pm |
        • CJ in Cali

OK... whatever, I just was wondering if I had missed some news about IHOP.

I guess you won't be taking your family to any movies or plays either then, as a disproportionately high percentage of the entertainment industry is gay. I'm not just talking about the actors, but the costumers, set designers, etcetera... I bet if you had the access to ask around, probably every single film out of Hollywood in the last 20-30 years (if not longer) involved the labor of at least one gay person. If not several.

February 2, 2013 at 11:55 am |
    • tv22

You better watch out, "they" may be sitting behind you at church!

I wonder how many people that are so worried about gays somehow distorting their life have been hit on by same sex suitors? I mean this must happen all the time right? Maybe try to get you in an enlistment drive where they'll take you in and brain wash you?

February 1, 2013 at 1:04 pm |
    • communityone

I am sad for you, that you live with this much hate. Gob bless you.

February 1, 2013 at 1:05 pm |
    • James

All you religious idiots who think that any form of discrimination is cool are too stupid to realize that the tables are turning in this country and you are next. You are about to get what you deserve. Have fun!

February 1, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
    • DrJStrangepork

What about pedofiles? Can they eat there? What about Portuguese? Can people from Portugal have a chicken sandwich sitting across from you and the fam? Can some one with cancer make your original sandwich with cheese? (you know you love the cheese). The simple truth is that given all the people you and your family depend on for your quality of life (such as it is), there are "deviants" that make sure you are safe and healthy. "Deviants" that will pull you out of burning building or make sure your children are educated properly. Don't be so judgmental, after all it isn't for you to judge right?

February 1, 2013 at 1:20 pm |
    • LArs

It's really easy to spot bigots and their agenda now that they will be the fattest and laziest people waddling down the street in their sweatpants hiked up over their manboobs from eating all that deep fried crap they call "food". I for one am glad that we can use survial of the fittest to weed out hate and ignorance via Chick-Fil-A.

February 1, 2013 at 1:43 pm |
    • Johnjon

don't worry Jim. my partner and I don't eat at hillbilly restaurants. oh, and I hope every one of your in-bred children turn out gay.

February 1, 2013 at 6:33 pm |
  27. sly

I can understand her confusion, since religious people constantly need to 'adjust' their behavior to fit those rules they think come from the clouds.

("Oh, it's ok to be gay now ... God just passed an amendment approving it ..."
    "Oh, it's ok to let blacks vote now .... God decided they are human and we've amended our beliefs ...")

February 1, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
    • Eric

The rules didn't "come from the clouds". They were written be real people (the Apostles) who were divinely inspired by the Holy Spirit.

February 1, 2013 at 1:13 pm |
      • Titan

The "apostles" didn't exist when the rules were written. They came about when they were modified to fit the Christian agenda, and made to break away from judaism.

February 1, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
  28. My Opinion

"I too am a Christian. I am also a lesbian" Those two sentences DO NOT GO TOGETHER. If you are a Christian, you would love yourself the sex that God created you to be and be with the opposite sex. Period. It is a choice.

February 1, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
  29. eclairer

Voicing your opinion about someone's opinion isn't threatening their free speech.
    Telling them their religion sucks isn't threatening their freedom of religion.

February 1, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
  30. CJ in Cali

If you think that Chik-Fil-A's change of donations fulfills the intent of your boycotting them, then by all means, go back.

Personally, I'm not going back (and I'm not even gay myself, but I have a lot of friends who are). But part of that is because they were very new in my area (San Diego – there's only five locations that I know of in the whole county, and I'd only been there maybe eight or ten times before the boycott) and they're also a bit on the overpriced side. And I can make sweet tea at home. And McDonald's has copied the sandwich, and they're much more plentiful and convenient to me.

February 1, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
  31. Tony

They no longer give to the most divisive anti LGBT groups but they still give to others.

Supporting groups that want to dehumanize you is stupid. I'm not gay but I oppose dehumanizing people so my boycott of chick fil a will continue.

February 1, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
    • Scott

Which is their right.

Scott

February 1, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
    • sneekas

Right on, man! I think once people stop trying to impose their will on others we will look more like a United country and not North Korea.

February 1, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
  32. someone

The CEO has a right to his opinion, like it or not. Gay people have the right to eat at any one of his restaurants any time they wish, like it or not. Nobody is going to know you're gay unless-, you openly profess it or are very flamboyant about it, and even then, who cares?? It's not like the CEO or anyone else can throw that person out of their restaurant unless they are causing problems.

I think people make way way too much of a big deal out of something so small. Get over it and move on with life.

February 1, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
    • onibabamama

Yeah! Those black people totally made a big deal over a little thing like discrimination, too. So silly!

February 1, 2013 at 2:57 pm |
  33. Bonnie TItus

I think you're 100% correct in saying that this wasn't about the 1st amendment but rather a public stand against homosexuals. Let's say Dan Cathy said he supported segregation in his dining rooms (whites can order at the counter and blacks at the back door). That's protected under the 1st amendment (to say it). But what would you think of all those (white) people standing in line down the block and around the corner? Of course they're there supporting the MESSAGE. I would wager that less than 1% of the people standing in those lines were there purely because they supported the 1st amendment.

February 1, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
  34. Sam

To eat at Chick-fil-A before they stopped funding groups dedicated to oppressive causes, such as those giving money to keep the death penalty legal for being gay in some countries in Africa, was idiotic.

February 1, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
  35. adamthefirst

gays are great at spreading hate.

February 1, 2013 at 12:47 pm |
    • Observer

Bigots are great at spreading ignorance.

February 1, 2013 at 12:48 pm |
    • Scott

The self-proclaimed tolerant ones, liberals, tend to be THEE most intolerant of all.

Scott

February 1, 2013 at 12:53 pm |
      • ORIONS ARROW

STANDIING AGAINST BIGOTRY DOES NOT IN TURN MAKE ONE A BIGOT . THIS IS THE LATEST TACTIC BEING USED BY BIGOTS THESE DAYS... THE SO CALLED RIGHTEOUS ARE NOW PUTTING THIS SPIN ON IT QUITE FREQUENTLY ... IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THEIR INTOLERANCE YOU ARE THE BIGOT . NICE TRY SCOTT ... MOST PEOPLE KNOW BETTER ...

February 1, 2013 at 1:29 pm |
      • David

Scott, let's try this a different way: no one who is intolerant of a bigot is a bigot. The same logic would then say that anyone who is intolerant of a murderer is a murderer. This new spin on open-minded people is laughable. Try this on for size: the vast majority of open minded-free thinkers, those who do not judge others and try to live in peace with all people, rarely care what small minded bigots or blind followers of religions that preach hate think, ever. Here's why: people who think like this are simply failures of genetics. Evolutionary mistakes. Think of yourselves as fat, meaty animals with only three legs on the African tundra. You might survive for awhile, but eventually, nature will make you extinct, and many lions full and happy. Sadly, it will take a few hundred more years, but, I say this with 100% assuredly, bigots are not far from extinction. Look around. Think of just 50 years ago. Change is coming so fast you can't keep up. Bigots and dinosaurs, just some fluke we'll look at in a museum some day. Enjoy. Change. Or die out...

February 1, 2013 at 1:53 pm |
      • Entrepreneur

We don't claim to be tolerant for one second. In fact, the exact opposite. We are determined to stand up and fight against narrow-minded oppression and allow for equal opportunities for people of all kinds of differences. The reason you feel the way you do is you only want your single line of thought to rule. If you were the tolerant one your kind wouldn't give money to groups who believe people should only live ONE WAY. People have always lived many ways and they always will. That is the fundamental difference.

February 1, 2013 at 3:03 pm |
  36. It's just a sandwich

If you continue to boycott after achieving your goals there's no incentive for the next company in line to do things your way. You shoot your cause in the foot.

February 1, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
    • Yupty

There has been progress, not sure about fully reaching a goal...

February 1, 2013 at 12:55 pm |
  37. Joe

Where did we lose sight of the fact that God loves all people, but hates any sinful act we do? We are born into sin. It is our very nature. Who hasn't wanted to kill someone at one point or another? How many married men and women can honestly say they haven't at least thought about having an affair? I hope we can agree that the Bible clearly states if we do these things we are sinning and without repentance are going to spend eternity in hell. Well folks, being gay is no different. Stop using the excuse that you were born that way. We are all born into sin. However, we all have a choice to act on it. Are we going to kill, steal, lie, cheat or marry someone of the same sex? That's our choice and they are all the same. Sin Sin Sin!!!!

February 1, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
  38. tunaman

If the KKK can march through Jewish neighborhoods and be supported by the ACLU in doing so. Then the LGBT community will have to accept the fact that people do have the right to not approve of their lifestyle and express that fact openly if they choose.

February 1, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
    • derp

Hom ose xuality is not a "lifestyle".

It is innate orientation.

If you are too stupid to understand and use scientific terms, please turn off the computer and go for a walk around your trailer park.

February 1, 2013 at 12:43 pm |
      • Rich

You mad bro?

February 1, 2013 at 12:46 pm |
        • derp

No, I just don't like idiots.

February 1, 2013 at 12:54 pm |
      • Jim

Bad science dweeb, its a choice and more than once is a lifestyle. Orientation is not natural selection but a learned compliance-change ones surroundings and taught behavior. Bottom line, queer is not main stream but an oddity. If queer was main stream we would have been extinct a long time ago.

February 1, 2013 at 1:07 pm |
      • taco bender

LOL, Innate? LOL. Right!

February 1, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
        • Entrepreneur

Right. There are humans who are gay. There are other species of animals that are gay. Just as there are people who are tall, short, black, white, brown, freckled, pigment deficient. Even your own fear and insecurity is an example of how people are different.

February 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm |
        • taco bender

That is not true. If it makes you feel better about it then you can tell it to yourself all day long but it still wont make it true. It is a choice.

February 1, 2013 at 4:36 pm |
    • Rich

Agreed free speach works both ways.

February 1, 2013 at 12:43 pm |
  39. Jesus Loves All

I sure hope that the owner is able to help find the cure to homosexuality.

February 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
  40. It's just a sandwich

The boycott worked. The goals were achieved. And the gay community got a lot of good press. The policy got changed. And the organizations you protested lost their corporate money.

You win.
    Be a gracious winner.

If you want a chicken sandwich go get one.
    Because the bitterness comes across as you just don't like 'those people.'
    And that's hypocritical.

February 1, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
  41. abe

Asking gays to forgive Chick-Fil-A would be like asking Jews to forgive Hitler.

February 1, 2013 at 12:38 pm |
    • TheMilhous

This I Learned: saying you disagree with someone is the same as arresting and killing them.

February 1, 2013 at 12:41 pm |
    • Duane - St. Pete FLA

abe = idiot

February 1, 2013 at 12:43 pm |
    • Joe

It would also be like asking God to forgive you or me.

February 1, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
    • Sluggo

Now that is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

February 1, 2013 at 12:50 pm |
    • Amazed

Really?? You're comparing this to murder on a horrendous scale, to the planned and almost accomplished extermination of an entire generation?

February 1, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
    • milton Platt

Not even close. Exercising free speech is not the same as killing people by the millions. What an absurde statement to make

February 1, 2013 at 12:59 pm |
    • communityone

If there was a "like" button, I would press it for your post abe

February 1, 2013 at 1:08 pm |
    • jkf

Wow, how in the world can you even begin to compare what Hitler did to the Jews to the those who oppose the LGBT lifestyle. People were killed by the millions, forced out of their homes and possessions, and had absolutely no freedom of anything. As to the chicken place supporting radically opposed to Gay rights, etc., what difference does it make? There are now, what 11 states where Gays can legal marry and other states are coming on line in the next few years. That's America. 100 years ago it would have been life threatening to admit being gay. Through freedom of speech and the other rights afforded by America, today the LGBT folks have marched and spoken and cried and laughed and shouted themselves to openness and general acceptance here in America. It may have been a long hard fight, but that's America. They got officials elected who were sympathetic to their cause and laws have been passed for them and it all happened because of the fact they took advantage of the American system of freedom. At one time in America, not too long ago, polls would have shown that less than 10% of Americans were in favor of any gay rights whatsoever. Today, over 50% of Americans are for gay rights, etc. That's the American way. If those who oppose gay anything want to reverse that, then they have the same American freedoms to go through to try and change it. The Jews in Nazi Germany had absolute no rights like that. Just not a good comparison. And we all should be careful when we hate those who are trying to change something that they think would be better. It may be self serving, but when you hate them and want to take away their freedom to complain, march, boycott or whatever, you might just be hating the freedom that America gives us all. end of sermon...

February 1, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
      • ORIONS ARROW

IF YOU REALLY KNOW HISTORY THEN YOU KNOW THAT A LARGE NUMBER OF THE PEOPLE HITLER ROUNDED UP TO BE EXTERMINATED WERE TARGETED ONLY BECAUSE THEY WERE GAY OR SUSPECTED OF BEING GAYAND MARKED WITH PINK TRIANGLES ... SO TO THOSE WHO SAY THE HITLER ASSOCIATION DOES NOT QUALIFY... GET A REAL EDUCATION !!!

February 1, 2013 at 1:42 pm |
    • Darth Cheney

When Chick-Fil-A kills six million gays, you will correct. Until then, drop the hyperbole. Sentiments like yours undermine the legitimate issue by giving talking points about liberal bigotry to the wingnuts.

February 1, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
  42. Norman

because you dont own teh word marriage redneck-and civil unions are not equal to marriage-why dont you take a civil union? you do know marriage predates all religion by thousands of years right?

February 1, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
    • milton Platt

Your postulation that marriage predates all religions sounds far fetched. I would have assumed religion existed in one form or another ever since the first cave man stepped outside of his cave and lookup in amazement at the stars. Where do you get your information? I would like to check out those sources myself.

February 1, 2013 at 4:15 pm |
  43. No Name Calling

I have my own views but don't want to share them. Instead I just need to ask, even though we don't always agree, why do we have to take stabs and call names and be rude. Aren't most of us adults here? Lets treat others like adults. I am a Conservative Republican. I believe in Christ. I believe we can have a discussion or even a disagreement WITHOUT calling names or trying to tear someone down.

February 1, 2013 at 12:34 pm |
    • Bob

Would you willingly give money to a group that believes you destroy humanity, are immoral, and that wants you shipped off to a facility to "reprogram" you while telling you repeatedly that you're an abomination unto your god (who by the way hates you)? I think not. Political alignment has nothing to do with it.

February 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
    • Rich

For some reason free speach only applies to liberals?

February 1, 2013 at 12:40 pm |
      • ckelly26

Free speech is fine. Remember there are still consequences to what you say. Nobody is being put in jail for what they think and say, but when you run a business you should be careful of what you say and who you affiliate with. People are also free to stop buying your products because of what you have said. Nobody is obligated.

The idea that you can say whatever you want under the vail of "free speech" and expect that nobody should have a voice to disagree is ignorant. Personally I am tired of the uber-conservatives that act like victims when people that disagree come down on what they have said with the "what happened to free speech" garbage.

February 1, 2013 at 1:06 pm |
    • derp

"For some reason free speach only applies to liberals?"

Seriously!!

Every time I start talking about how jews and blacks are inferior and we should not allow them the same rights as the rest of us, some stupid liberal calls me "intolerant".

Dumb liberals don't even understand free speech.

Thanks for supporting me!!

February 1, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
  44. TheMilhous

I think homosexuality is a sin. Can I eat at every other restaurant? Silly.

February 1, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
  45. Dave

The problem with all of this is that being anti-gay is a position of hate. One cannot promote a position of hate through religion, most especially not Christianity.

Jesus loved everyone. Right? Anyone who is a true Christian knows the answer is a resounding YES. If Chick-fil-A wants to be Christian they will have to start including everyone.

Otherwise they should shut up with the prosthelytizing and stop being hypocrite sinners.

February 1, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
    • TheMilhous

The problem with your post is that being anti-Chick-fil-A is a position of hate. One cannot promote a position of hate through religion, most especially not Christianity.

Jesus loved everyone. Right? Anyone who is a true Christian knows the answer is a resounding YES. If Dave wants to be Christian they will have to start including everyone.

Otherwise he should shut up with the prosthelytizing and stop being a hypocrite sinner.

February 1, 2013 at 12:36 pm |
      • Jim

God does love everyone. If Jesus were here today, he would love their sandwich.

However, our Savior would be gravely dissapointed in his supposed followers who repeatedly bear false witness against God's LGBT children. The Savior would also most likely take issues with those who who can not ask for forgiveness as well as those who simply refuse to forgive.

February 1, 2013 at 12:51 pm |
    • golfguy65

I am sick and tired of the Gay Agenda. I dont hate gays, I just dont agree with their sexual preferences and think it is wrong to push their agenda. No, I dont think they have a right to be married. I am tired of seeming their lifestyle all over network TV. I wish they would just go back into the closet and do their thing in private.

February 1, 2013 at 12:44 pm |
      • SeilnoigileR

Funny, I was thinking that I wished christians would 'do their own thing in private'. Also, what is this 'gay agenda' you talk about? They are the same as you, they work, eat and everything else that you do. Being able to do so without being harassed or threatened with violence is not an 'agenda' – it's basic human rights. I Personally I'm sick of the christian agenda

February 1, 2013 at 3:58 pm |
    • dtboy

Your problem is that you believe "anti" equals "hate." "Anti" means opposed to, not hateful of. We are ALL opposed to something or another, but that doesn't mean we hate it.

February 1, 2013 at 12:52 pm |
      • Dave

In this case, since there is no valid reason to be anti-gay it DOES equal hate.

February 1, 2013 at 1:21 pm |
    • Chuck

Believing that homosexuality is a sin is not hate. That is a common response to someone that does not agree with your belief.
      Jesus does love everyone BUT he did NOT and does NOT accept sin. While loving all, He is clear about actions of people. He brought their sin into light and confronted them about it. All are born into sin and have a sinful nature which we must turn from…saying that Jesus loves all so all actions are acceptable or God does not make mistakes is just a poor and incorrect agreement for someone trying to accept their sin.

February 1, 2013 at 1:00 pm |
      • David

Chuck, love this argument. It absolutely uses belief, which is not logic, to prove a point. You can't prove a point using unproveable logic. But lets use your logic for a moment: let me ask you, based on your own logic: is there a sin committed by a human that is so heinous that God is unable to forgive it? I'm guessing your answer is yes. Therefore, our power to sin is greater than Gods power to forgive. Oops. Your logic just imploded...unless you agree we are more powerful than God...

February 1, 2013 at 2:04 pm |
  46. Are you serious?

Why not just treat people the same regardless of Gender, Ethnicity, Religion, etc. Just because some rich white dudes are pushing their agendas threw the corrupt government machine doesn't make it right. The Bible is a book of metaphors and fables (see Aesop), God is about as real as the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and there is no "true" religion. Get over yourselves and just treat people with the same respect you would like to be treated with.

February 1, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
    • Are you serious?

*through* stupid phone....

February 1, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
  47. Susan

The author is not correct when she makes the broad statement that Chic-Fil-A Appreciation Day was an anti-homosexual protest, rather than about freedom of speech. I ate at a Chick-Fil-A for the first (and last) time in my life on that day and I did it to support the founder's right to express his opinion and exercise his beliefs. I'm an Ivy League educated attorney who supports the right of gays to marry. First and foremost, however, I support the right of all Americans to have and express an opinion and that this right be unfettered by both the government and the mob.

You should know that if Chic-Fil-A had been discriminating against the GLBT community, I would have actively supported a boycott of each and every Chic-Fil-A franchise because I deplore such hateful action toward others; however, there was no discrimination in this case. Indeed, there have been no public reports of any such discriminatory action against homosexuals or any other group by the company.

The reason I supported Chic-Fil-A in this instance is that I believe that our right of freedom of speech is the most important right that we have. In its absence, no other rights matter or can be exercised. I also think that freedom of speech is at risk as a right in our current political climate, especially from groups advocating hate speech laws and laws for criminal prosecution of people who say things that can be construed as anti one group or another (but that's not really pertinent to this article....)

The people who have attacked the founding family of this company, both verbally and by means of boycott, need to remember that if freedom of speech as a right is lost by one person, it is lost for all of us; the next attack may be on your right openly to speak your mind. Part of being an American, I believe, is to stand up for everyone's right to have an opinion, no matter how distateful it might be to one or more of us.

Also, differences in thought and expression are the most important and useful forms of diversity. Sadly, however, they are the only forms of diversity that liberals (which, I'm sure, includes most of the GLBT community) don't support. I believe that it is their refusal to tow the liberal line that makes committed Christians such a target of the "tolerant, broadminded" liberal who seems to think that only those who agree with him or her are intelligent and have value.

I think the current popular intolerance toward thinking that doesn't promote the popular liberal line is one of the greatest threats to our social order. Ultimately, that's why I voted with my wallet to support Chic-Fil-A on Chic-Fil Appreciation Day.

If intolerance of expression continues to be acceptable, then one day it may be used against those of us who support the right of gay marriage and gay rights.

I'm sorry that this subtle point of Chic-Fil-A Appreciation day was missed on the author.

February 1, 2013 at 12:26 pm |
    • Some guy

Chick Fil A wasnt being boycotted for what it said, it was bc they used ompany funds the support know anti-gay groups

February 1, 2013 at 12:32 pm |
      • Duane - St. Pete FLA

its there money, they can give to whom they please....

February 1, 2013 at 12:46 pm |
        • Roumen Tomanov

What about the here money?

February 1, 2013 at 1:10 pm |
      • AL

That's still a freedom of speech issue, moron.

February 1, 2013 at 12:47 pm |
        • Some guy

@ AL

Hey d!ckf@ce, where do you see that come up in my comment?

February 1, 2013 at 1:30 pm |
    • eztommyd

Dear Ivy League educated attorney (it seems important to you that we all know this about you, so I'll repeat it for you so as to not further increase your insecurity): No one is saying the owners don't have a right to free speech or to spend their money as they see fit. We're just saying that we're not going to support their business if they spend their money on groups who support hate. And we're going to try to get our friends to join us. And their friends. See? No one is losing their rights, so step off your soapbox and see this for what it is.

February 1, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
    • Logic N LA

Susan- I think you missed the purpose of the protest- most conservatives do. Liberals say – leave everybody alone to live their life. This means YOU get to worship, marry and live as you choose- just don't try and force that on me. This is the basic difference betweent conservativesand liberal.
      Think about the bills and agendas the right has pushed. They want you tell a woman what todo with her body.. They want to define marriage. They say it's freedom to allow for assault weapons in the hands of average citizens that may be mentally ill ( no checks or controls =this), They forget that our Constitution allows for free speech but not oppression. Using negatives as a governing tool is not freedom. The owner of Chik fil A does with his money is push agendas to limit individual rights of non-Christians and gays. The answer is to not support this man's business and limit his resourse that are being used for evil and not good. I now shop at Penny's becuase of the boycott by those who thought Ellen was a wrong choice for a spokes person. not becuase she was a bad perosn, not becuase she was not funny or obscene- but simply becuase she a gay woman. How did that hurt them? Did she ask you to go to Penny's and have sex? No- it was to say they have good pricing and quality goods- period.

February 1, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
    • Heather

Susan – you're completely right. Chick-fil-A and their owners have every right to support any cause that believe fits with their corporate and personal values. I personally love their fries and chicken nuggets and, for fast food, its a really nice option. That being said, my niece is gay. She is 16 (almost 17) years old. And I want her to have the right to marry the woman she loves one day and not have to fear about losing her job because of someone's else's views. I will not give my money to any organization that actively works to deny her the rights that should belong to every citizen of this country just because she's gay. If Chick-fil-A wishes to continue funding these organizations – more power to them. I give them props for standing up for what they believe in. As will I and my family.

February 1, 2013 at 12:45 pm |
    • Primewonk

"You should know that if Chic-Fil-A had been discriminating against the GLBT community, I would have actively supported a boycott of each and every Chic-Fil-A franchise because I deplore such hateful action toward others; however, there was no discrimination in this case."

CFA and the owninf family actively and financially supported groups listed ashate groups by the SPLC. The groups actively sought to enact state legislation criminalizing hômosèxuality. These groups actively sought to enact state and federal laws and state constitutional amendments prohibiting gay folks from having the same civil rights as straight folks.

I don't know about where you live, but here in the US, we call that discrimination.

February 1, 2013 at 12:52 pm |
    • Kevin

Given the depth of your writing and obvious education is shows, I am shocked at your intellectual dishonesty. Whatever your high minded reason for participating in the appreciation day, (which I beleive is true) I think you should recognize that the average person did eat there for the same reasons you did. The fact that some did eat there to support the principles you did in no way negates the obvious intent behind the creation of the appreciation day....stage an anti-homosexual counter protest. I went to a Chick-Fil-A on the appreciation day (walking distance from work) to see the hoopla..most of the people did not have pro-1st amendment signs and T-shirt...they were saying and wearing anti-gay statements. Except the guy I saw on the news later who was interviewed on the local news. He was making a very articulate statement for free speech. But, I have a feeling he wasn't selected randomly.

February 1, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
    • Primewonk

CFA and the owning family actively and financially supported groups listed as hate groups by the SPLC. The groups actively sought to enact state legislation criminalizing being gay. These groups actively sought to enact state and federal laws and state constîtutional amendments prohibiting gay folks from having the same civil rights as straight folks.

February 1, 2013 at 12:58 pm |
    • Imthedecider

@Susan- your post would have been interesting if you hadn't felt the need to qualify your opinion as better informed than most and therefore superior by stating that you were an "Ivy league educated attorney." An attorney is probably the last person I would ever begin to listen to on issues of morality and ethics. Attorneys are probably one of the biggest true problems in this country, getting rich from laws they wrote for themselves and the billions of dollars they waste pursuing their own agendas. While I respect your work in the LGBT community (and I am not gay, I just believe in science) don't ruin any credibility you have by being so arrogant as to assume that because your a lawyer you know something special. Really it just makes you an idiot.

February 1, 2013 at 1:18 pm |
    • jkf

Amen. It's about freedom, all freedoms that America provides for it's citizens. People need to see it's not about gay rights or rights to those who oppose gay rights, it's about rights, period. And I agree, I too fear our freedoms are being systematically attacked with the end goal to destroy our rights and get us under some sort of dictatorial government. I hope I am wrong, but the climate in Washington tells me there is certainly reason for concern.

February 1, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
    • SherWand

You're are not correct when making the broad staement that Chic-Fil-A Appreciation Day was a support for freedom of speach rather than an anti-homosexual protest. I did not eat at Chic-Fil-A that day or any day since and I did it to support my gay son. I am also Ivy League educated but what does that have to do with supporting gays to marry? And if you support all Americans rights to have and express an opinion did you also write a letter to the GLBT community showing your support for their right to have and express their opinion of Chic-Fil-A opinion of homosexuality? Do you believe also that African Americans should have left alone businesses who voiced their opinion that blacks should not have the same rights as whites? Would you have supported their right to their opinion too?

No federal government organization is or has stopped Chic-Fil-A from voicing their opinion. If they had I would have been first in line to condemn the government for hindering freedom of speach. But why should non governmental organization be held to the same standard? The GLBT community just like Chic-Fil-A were acting and voicing their opinion; equal organizations with opposite views. Our right of freedom of speech is one of the most important rights that we have. Why support one group excersing that right while condeming anther group for doing the same. Why? Is it becasue one group was excersing that right to bring about change? Isn't that what Chic-Fil-A is more quitely doing when they support organizations who condem homoseuality? Using their influence to bring about change?

Attack is too a strong a word in this case. GLBT organizations were no more "attacking" Chick-Fil-A than Chic-Fil-A is "attacking" GLBT organizations by who they support. And no one out here has forgotten how serious the loss of freedom of speech would be. Particularly GLBT organizations who must fight every day to be heard.

Differences in thought and expression can be important and useful forms of diversity but they can also be some of the most destructive if those differences in thought are used to express the opinion that anothers rights should be restricted and that opinion is not challenged.

In calling most GLBT liberals you out yourself as ignorant of the diversity of the GLBT community. Not only are there conservative, moderate and liberal GLBT's, there are also Asian, Latino, Black, Musulim, Jewish, etc etc etc GLBT's. All humans are intelligent and have value to a liberal way of thinking, which is tolerant and broadminded. But, it is to each his own until "his own" attempts to restrict the rights of a group that does not conform to the belief of "his own". Then to a liberal way of thiking (and hopefuly any other way of thinking) we would be remiss if we did not stand up for those whose rights were being hampered by the attempt of others to restrict those rights.

If the popular liberal line you speak of means taking action to secure the rights of all to live as they see fit without hinderance to anyone else's rights, than how is that a threat to our social order? Just as those in the Chic-Fil-A organization have the right to express thier opinion and the right to fund organizations that support that opinion, GLBT's have the right to express the opposite opinion and excersise their right to boycott the organization for funding such organzations that support the restriction of GLBT rights. Why do you believe that GLBT's have any less rights than Chic-Fil-A if as you say, you support the gay right to marry? Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

Since you are making the argument that the freedom of speech is a main issue for Chic-Fil-A Appreciation day, than why is it that you refer to it as a "subtle point?"

February 1, 2013 at 1:51 pm |
  48. palintwit

A tea party patriot's idea of a perfect date is to take his cousin to a Chick-fil-A for dinner then back to his trailer where they drink Everclear. Then he boinks her.

February 1, 2013 at 12:25 pm |
    • Teeve

Ad hominem is a recognized form of argument. It's just not a convincing one.

February 1, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
    • Susan

Your post got one thing right: you are a twit.

February 1, 2013 at 12:30 pm |
    • Rich

Whats your point?

February 1, 2013 at 12:37 pm |
  49. gijames1225

I beg to differ. I think it was about freedom of speech. Obviously you have a right to not eat somewhere, and they have the right to give money to whatever non-profits they want, but it was the fact that the LGBT community was throwing a hissy fit about it that got a lot of people up in arms. I use all sorts of products and services from businesses that I adamantly disagree with at times, but I don't try to get the media creating a fire storm about it or pretend that it's something bizarre and horrible. This is America, you just have to accept that some business and people are not going to agree with you on everything and not want a news special when you don't get along.

February 1, 2013 at 12:24 pm |
    • Norman

youre a bigoted idiot. A "hissy fit"? Chik Fil A was givign milliosn to stop gays form havign EQUAL treatment under the law. Are you someone who hated those "uppity negroes" who didnt like the back of the bus? shema on you-please die off soon-America has moved on from such bigotry-even bigoted Chik Fil A learned a lesson. It wasnt about free speech, moron-you can still hate "dem gays" and get fatter with your greasy food.

February 1, 2013 at 12:31 pm |
    • Primewonk

"but it was the fact that the LGBT community was throwing a hissy fit about it that got a lot of people up in arms."

Hmmmmm – so a group of people who are tired of religious nutters refusing to let them have the civil rights guaranteed to them by the constîtution are throwing "hissy fits"?

February 1, 2013 at 1:17 pm |
  50. Godabed

Perfect place for a Half & Half.... you must live a very sheltered life. Bojangles iced tea & half/half is really good. But if you go to any Korean carry out you will just as good if not better.

February 1, 2013 at 12:24 pm |