January 25th, 2013
01:16 PM ET
Share this on:

Editor's note: For more on Hannah Storm, don't miss "Sanjay Gupta, MD" on Saturday at 4:30 p.m. ET Saturday and 7:30 a.m. ET Sunday.

ESPN "SportsCenter" host Hannah Storm suffered severe burns as the result of a propane grill accident at her Connecticut home on December 11. CNN Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta spoke with her recently. Here is an edited version of that interview.

CNN: Is it hard for you to just be by that grill where this all happened, psychologically?

Storm: I haven't really gone to the grill. It's the first time I've been out there. I won't cook on that grill. Maybe that seems silly, and maybe that's just today, but it was ... a terrible, traumatic, frightening event. And I don't want to be - I don't like being afraid. I believe in tackling things you're afraid of. But I think it will be a very long time before I grill on that type of grill again. You know, I was in a hurry. That's when a lot of accidents happen. You're hurried, you're distracted, you're rushing, and that's a big personal lesson for me is, slow down.

CNN: I hope that a lot of people are listening, because I have to say, guilty, you know, I've probably been in that same position before.

Storm: And also ... how many people are drinking beers and grilling, just talking, you know how many little kids are wandering about around the grill and you know, it's like a lot of things. It can very safe, and it can be very useful, and it can be a healthy way to cook. All of those things ... can also be dangerous if you don't do it properly and use it properly.

Read - 10 questions for ESPN sportscaster Hannah Storm

Glue the wound, skip the stitches - How pro chefs handle kitchen wounds
Deep cuts from the comments - Tales from the kitchen trenches
Burn, slice, sear – cooking is a dangerous business - A gory treasury of kitchen injuries
Oops, I burned my cleavage - Hot times at the grill

Posted by:
Filed under: Cooking • Grilling • Grilling • Injuries

soundoff (6 Responses)
  1. David Lefevre

    Hannah – I sent a previous email. I know what happened to you and can help the healing a lot and understanding which is key to healing. I had a heart attack at 44 and I understand the emotional healing needed for serious events like what you experienced. Am thinking since your sports reporting, this could also help all the sports tailgate parties that use portable propane grills..Anyway, I can help you and your listeners if your interested and be safer with Propane. 28 years training the corporate propane world. Would be a good CNN feel good, tail gate safety story maybe.
    Let me know
    David Lefevre
    DEVTRA Inc.

    January 26, 2013 at 12:23 am |
    • Hank Hill

      “Whoa there, Dr. Feelgood, I work at a propane dealership, not Woodstock."

      January 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm |
    • Tomorrow's News

      Is anyone else reading this thinking "deranged stalker?" Who posts a message to the subject of an article?

      February 9, 2013 at 10:00 am |
  2. Sir Biddle

    Take the lump one step further. I have camel dung shipped in from Morocco and its low even burn is perfect for a brisket or rack of ribs on zee ole Weber.

    January 25, 2013 at 2:56 pm |
    • Al Roker

      I had a natural lump once,and then I went COMMANDO !!

      January 25, 2013 at 3:13 pm |
  3. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

    Here's a warning:

    USE CHARCOAL GRILLS. Or my latest favorite: Natural Lump Charcoal

    Or just collect the cat's hairballs for a few months, add them to the dog's matted hair you had to shave and fire up the barbie!

    January 25, 2013 at 2:45 pm |
| Part of