What's the Thanksgiving dish you dread?
November 20th, 2012

Stephanie V.W. Lucianovic is a Bay Area writer and editor. Her first book Suffering Succotash: A Picky Eater's Quest to Understand Why We Hate the Foods We Hate, is a humorous non-fiction narrative and exposé on the lives of picky eaters. She previously coerced Anderson Cooper to overcome his dining issues and told us the most scientifically delicious snack shape.

In my years-long quest to put my picky eating into remission, I'm proud to say that I had a list of once-hated green vegetables jockeying for attention at my Thanksgiving table this year. The two that won out are okra (simply sautéed and salted to perfection) and Brussels sprouts, which will be peeled down to individual leaves, sautéed with garlic, then gilded with a balsamic vinaigrette and a smattering of walnuts to comprise a warm salad.

However, there are still some turkey day foods out there that get my gorge a-rising and chief among them is that Thanksgiving staple of my Minnesota childhood: green bean casserole.

I might occasionally eat green beans raw and tossed with an intensely garlicky pesto, but you can be quite sure I will not eat them after they’ve been turned that very special shade of grey-green unique to dead vegetables and swamped in a cream sauce with unidentifiable brown boluses and pale slices of water chestnuts of all things.

“They’re for the crunch!” someone once told me. You want crunch? How about, oh I don’t know, not cooking the green beans denture-soft‽

Now the grey-green beans in this dish are bad enough, but it was truly all over for me the first time I got a look at the secret ingredient keeping its gelatinous shape after it had been slurped out of the can and into the waiting saucepan. Note to special effects folks: nothing looks so much like actual barf than a cold can of mushroom soup, it’s got chunks and everything!

(I'm also not the biggest fan of pumpkin pie ever since my older sister likened it to cat vomit but I am a kind host, so it will be there for the guest who adores it.)

What's the Thanksgiving dish you simply dread? Please share your tales of taste and texture traumas in the comments below and we'll share them in an upcoming post.

Previously - The psychology of food aversions and Food aversions: Your questions answered and A five-step plan for overcoming picky eating (a.k.a. an open letter to Anderson Cooper)

All our best Thanksgiving advice and recipes

1. ROMNEY 2012

I like to dine on the tears of liberal trash and welfare mommas.
    The democrats have only secured their fate, for America will not survive until 2013
    We will be able to remake this country the way God wants it!
    IT'S TIME TO BRING GOD BACK TO NEW AMERICA

November 26, 2012 at 12:27 pm |
    • Boo

Why don't you take a nice long walk off a short pier? Your guy lost....GET OVER IT!

November 13, 2013 at 12:39 pm |
    • TomGI

Finally back from your vacation to Israel?

November 27, 2013 at 1:41 pm |
  2. Jake

If you don't like something, then don't eat it. But, please, do not criticize the cook if you're a guest in someone's house. Be polite and mind your manners. I've had enough of the vegan's dirty little comments and insults about serving turkey in MY home at Thanksgiving. She will never be invited back!

November 23, 2012 at 8:42 am |
    • libragirl56

totally agree! I hate greenbean casserole, but I would never insult anyones food , that's not how you act in someones home. I just pass up or put a little on my plate to be polite.

November 17, 2013 at 7:15 am |
  3. eg

i wish there was a non meat and healthy alternative for all dishes
    e

November 22, 2012 at 8:05 pm |
    • Ann

Well, a non-meat turkey is kind of impossible, but I know some vegetarians who do a stuffed squash entree instead. As for healthy, that's easy enough. Just don't load everything up with marshmallows, butter, or cheese. Mashed sweet potatoes with a little butter and broth. Steamed asparagus with lemon. Wild rice.

Heck, my mom's mushroom gravy was practically fat-free: make broth with the neck, onion, celery, carrot, parsley. With just some of the liquid, puree the solids. Thicken with a little flour, season, and add the mushrooms. She never added the fat from the pan drippings, though you could include some if you want.

November 13, 2013 at 1:12 pm |
    • ∞ Weeds ∞

Oatmeal! You can mold it, shape it, flavor it, smoke it, fry it, roast it and eat it!

November 27, 2013 at 2:04 pm |
  4. Charlotte

I don't care for sweet things with my real food, although once in awhile I will eat them for dessert if necessary to maintain the peace. But with my meal? Yecccchhh. So the sugary sweet yams are pretty offensive to me, and I absolutely DESPISE that crap that they call "ambrosia." Totally aside from being like eating candy with your stuffing, I mean, come ON, EWWWWWWW. Marshmallows. Fake whipped cream ("dream whip"). Canned oranges. Canned coconut. Holy gods, just kill me.

November 21, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  5. GiGi Eats Celebrities

It ain't Thanksgiving UNLESS you have CHESTNUTS!

November 21, 2012 at 4:45 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

Or Chin Nuts for the ladies!

November 21, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
  6. shar

I dislike the dish in the photo. I don't get it. Why mess with perfectly good green beans by pouring goopy soup over them? I also dislike the sweet potato dish with the marshmallows. Again, why ruin perfectly good sweet potatoes with all that sugary stuff?

November 21, 2012 at 2:24 pm |
  7. Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

That looks like something my cat threw up on the floor this morning.

So why does it taste so good?

November 21, 2012 at 10:43 am |
  8. Truth™

Unusual dishes I can live with. What I have a hard time with are the tree hugging, bunny h@mping liberal vegans who use this day as an excuse to pontificate their views.

November 21, 2012 at 9:45 am |
    • Ed G.

Do they really? The vegans/vegetarians I know celebrate their bounty in their own way and do not ever set this day apart from any other day concerning carnivorous behavior.

November 21, 2012 at 10:33 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

FISH ON!

November 21, 2012 at 10:44 am |
    • Rick

Yet you have no problem pontificating your views, right?

November 21, 2012 at 12:52 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

x2 !

November 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm |
    • Rick

Truth, you inbred fvck, how does this become political in what sadly passes for your mind?

November 21, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
      • Charlotte

"Truth" is offended and insulted by someone else's dining preferences because "Truth" in fact knows that he is an inferior person and is very insecure. All putrid behavior such as his arises from feelings of inadequacy. Vegetarians and vegans do not make a big deal out of their dining choices, although apparently the mere mention of them sets this guy off, yet he proudly boasts about his carnivore status as if there were anything honorable about it. He has never learned to live and let live, he has never learned that people are free to eat or not eat what they feel like, and their mere mentioning of it is not grounds for spewing venom. This always comes from feeling inferior.

November 21, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
        • VladT

"Vegetarians and Vegans do not make a big deal....."

Please read previous comments on this post before making a provably untrue statement ( notice I am not saying all Vegans, but contrary to your statement, they do ).

November 22, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
      • ∞ Weeds ∞

Wait, slow down now. How is being vegan ever political? Vegans are very conservative when it comes to eating meat.

November 27, 2013 at 2:08 pm |
  9. Chef James

Has anyone tried monkducken for Thanksgiving? It is a chicken stuffed inside a duck then placed inside a monkey. This is roasted with water chestnuts and served on a bed of rice pilaf along with lima beans. When my gramma serves it I usually say I'm not too hungry.

November 21, 2012 at 9:43 am |
  10. Etta Cornbread

Luksusowa makes a really good potato v odka that seems to add to the holiday festivities.

November 21, 2012 at 9:03 am |
  11. Etta Cornbread

I still don't see many mentions of wonderful Thanksgiving V odka. I'll drink 8 ounces or so while preparing the dinner. Once all the food is done I don't really care if I eat any or not. Usually another glass of liquid refreshments suits me juuuust fine. : )

November 21, 2012 at 9:00 am |
  12. Oscar Pitchfork

You want a fantastic turkey recipe? Check out 'Taste of the South' online, the Oct/Nov 2009 issue,or just search recipes for 'bring turkey'. I've made this twice before and I just put a turkey in the brine last night. It gives a moist, flavorful turkey meat that you just won't believe. Grind your spices, first!

November 21, 2012 at 7:23 am |
  13. VladT

My aunt and uncle make everything from scratch and cook their turkeys perfectly. I am a big fan of most veggies as well, and love trying new foods. However, my one caveat......

Why cook mashed potatoes with a bunch of mushrooms in it? As I said, I have a diverse palate ( or at least I like to think so ), but for me, mashed potatoes need to just be that, potatoes.

Its weird how tongues evolve, I suppose.....

November 21, 2012 at 6:49 am |
  14. kc_and_fa

Turkey gives me indigestion. Sad but true. I do miss it, watching the others feast feast while I pretend to be happy with my ham or piece of chicken...

November 21, 2012 at 6:00 am |
  15. danni33

If you want a really good green bean casserole, make it from scratch. make a roux using butter, flour and chicken stock until it is nice and thick, add plenty of ground pepper and a small amount of salt. Blanch the green beans for 3 minutes and then shock them in ice water. Drain the green beans. Saute baby bella mushrooms and minced shallots in olive oil and and butter until all the moisture cooks out of the mushroom. Spray the bottom of a 13×9 inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Add the green beans and the mushroom mixture to the casserole dish. Pour the roux over the vegetables and cook in the oven at 350° F for 50 minutes. For the last 10 minutes, add the french fried onion pieces to the top and cook an extra 10 minutes. It is the only green bean casserole anyone should ever eat. It is not like a salt lick filled with mushy vegetables like that campbell's garbage.

November 21, 2012 at 5:17 am |
    • danni33

btw the green beans and the mushrooms HAVE to be fresh, otherwise, just dump it straight into the garbage

November 21, 2012 at 5:19 am |
      • Charlotte

nothing on the planet is worse than fresh mushrooms that aren't.

November 21, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  16. Mitt Zombie

Grandma always made homemade ravioli for thanksgiving along with all the rest of the trimmings and a turkey. Several hundred of them, filling made with home ground pork and herbs and bread, fresh made dough, fresh made sauce, and made on a hand carved ravioli maker board.
    Now I make them, not as many and not quite as great, but still amazing. Take me about a joint and 8 beers though.

November 21, 2012 at 5:07 am |
  17. Royweeezy

I love all of the traditional dishes thanksgiving has to offer. Too bad I'll be in jail for a possession of marijuana charge....*sigh*. LEGALIZE IT ALREADY!

November 21, 2012 at 4:20 am |
    • Rick

My condolences on the pot charge.

The legalization thing is happening, albeit slowly

November 21, 2012 at 8:44 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

AMEN!. Preach on, my brotha!

November 21, 2012 at 10:45 am |
  18. Damryn of Dorne

Canadian here, even though our Thanksgiving was in Oct, ... I haaaaate cranberriessssssssssssssss

November 21, 2012 at 2:58 am |
  19. I dread the "alternatives"...

The alternative foods created to substitute my turkey, my mash potatoes and gravy, my gluten filled stuffing that I NEVER even cared for all the gluten it had before the libs pointed it out to me... the wheat based Hawaiian dinner rolls, the pumpkin pie, the sweet potatoe pies, etc. etc.

Thats what I dread, all those awful non-Thanksgiving phony replacement dishes.

Mind you, I actually do avoid as much gluten as possible, take care of myself BUT oh no, not on Thanksgiving, I WILL NOT let other tell me that I should change my Thanksgiving, I'm sorry, seeeyaa!

November 21, 2012 at 2:25 am |
  20. pam

I don't eat meat, so I dread hearing about all of the turkeys that are killed to unnecessarily to feed peoples faces.

November 21, 2012 at 2:18 am |
    • Realman

you know carrots die when you pull them from the ground right? Many insects only purpose on this planet is to provide food for other animals. Animals eat animals and things die in the process. You will die and be consumed by worms if you choose to be buried. Primary consumers, secondary consumers, tertiary consumers. Its the way of life whether you see it or not. Certain creatures are meant to die so others can survive.

November 21, 2012 at 2:37 am |
    • pam u stupid ho

Pam u stupid ho learn the facts of life. Creatures eat other creatures to survive. Carnivores eat meat. Herbivores eat vegetation. Omnivores eat both.

November 21, 2012 at 4:34 am |
      • Charlotte

"Pam u stupid ho" get over yourself. You are a putrid vile excuse of what doesn't pass for a human being. If you don't like vegetarianism, don't be one, but don't judge something you are too weak and stupid to even try. You have no excuse for saying something like that to a person who doesn't want to eat animals. Especially considering how fat you are.

November 21, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
    • TurkeyEater

"unnecessarily killed to feed people's faces."

Spoken like a true idiotic Vegetarian/Vegan on top of their high horse looking down on others. I bet you're the type that makes snarky remarks when people eat meat and begin to lecture them. You are the worst kind of people there are. I pray I never run into a person like you while I'm out eating, I may end up in jail and you in a morgue. Take solace in knowing that when you eat vegetables you take away the food source of fluffy bunnies, you sick freak. Then it's up to me to eat them and put them out of their misery.

November 21, 2012 at 6:04 am |
      • Oscar Pitchfork

Turkey Eater: OUTSTANDING comment! (as I spice and brine yet another delicious turkey...)

November 21, 2012 at 7:09 am |
      • Charlotte

TurkeyEater – you're another ignorant and intolerant turd. Clearly a Republican.

November 21, 2012 at 5:13 pm |
    • Rick

My girlfriend and I are vegetarians. Being around people eating meat does not bother us

November 21, 2012 at 8:46 am |
  21. JR

You know, once a year we get together to celebrate the things we're thankful for, and food is an obvious one for those of us who came from families, who generations ago, were suffering also. Many of these dishes came about as creative ways to prepare otherwise bland or common food. These are the modern-day workings of our ancestors' 'peasant dishes' that seem to carry on through the generations, and are a piece of history for many families. Every year at our gathering someone inevitably brings a nasty marshmallow-jello dish with suspended fruit or even vegetables, greasy cocktail weenies in runny bbq sauce, or the ubiquitous green bean casserole floating in cream of something soup. So what? These dishes cost a few bucks to make, and after our gathering our families go back to working to make this world better. That's Thanksgiving for me!

November 21, 2012 at 2:17 am |
  22. Harley Leiber

My favorite is the boned turkey stuffed with a pork belly....the pork bell has been seared on all sides. It is called a turporken. When baked the entire ball of meat can be sliced.....the juice can be used to make gravy called turporky....This goyische delight will warm many a belly come TG....

November 21, 2012 at 1:59 am |
  23. onestarman

Since I am a Vegetarian the Dead Bird and Grease Sauce make me a little Woozy to smell so I try to stay upwind and just smile politely.

November 21, 2012 at 1:23 am |
    • Realman

Grow a set, Fairyboy! The world would be better without such soft pathetic girly men like you.

November 21, 2012 at 2:06 am |
      • Charlotte

Actually, Realman, you are the one who is dispensible. And despicable. Quit being such a fat sh*t and leave people alone to eat how they prefer. You must have been castrated as a child to be so insecure that you have to pretend that there is anything "manly" about being a carnivore. Your very behavior marks you as an insecure and inferior person. Even if you are fatter than a vegetarian.

November 21, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
    • Realman

I bet you dont have a single callus on your hands and you probably wear skinny jeans...

November 21, 2012 at 2:11 am |
      • moobie

Such a troll. You should probably move out of your mom's house before you turn 45.

November 21, 2012 at 3:52 am |
  24. PoorEdgarDerby

I can't believe we're all talkin' about food when the economy something!

November 21, 2012 at 1:19 am |
    • fiskenmann

What???

November 21, 2012 at 3:17 am |
    • VladT

Next Thanksgiving topic:

"How many people this holiday season are guilty they are successful and/or have disposable income?"

November 21, 2012 at 7:20 am |
      • Rick

i don't feel bad about that at all, Vlad

November 21, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
  25. stonrdude

Green Bean casserole is enough to gag a maggot. I never eat marshmallow sweet potatoes are pretty bad too. Too sweet and unhealthy.

November 21, 2012 at 1:15 am |
    • Dover

Check and check.

November 21, 2012 at 1:25 am |
    • jasonmooncnn

Thanks for your comment, stonrdude. and i agree with you about both of those. And I know this puts me in the minority, but i actually prefer something else besides turkey. I like turkey a lot, sure, but I probably eat it once a week anyways, so it's really not a special meal in my house.

Enjoy your holiday.

November 21, 2012 at 4:04 am |
    • George Shrub

Sweet potatoes are good, yams are better, no need to add marshmellows. Green been cassarole is not that bad, but not that good either!
      Brussel sprout are fantastic fresh, and I usually make stuffing from scratch, even my own stock.
      This year I have multicolored carrots still in the partially frozen ground ready to go.

November 21, 2012 at 4:44 am |
    • Rick

green bean casserole sucks

November 21, 2012 at 8:49 am |
      • Charlotte

Green bean caserole is wonderful! But the sweet, syrupy marshmallowy yams suck.

November 21, 2012 at 5:16 pm |
        • Sandy

Totally agree. It may be cool to say you hate green bean casserole, but there's a reason it's a classic. As for the yams, I just don't like sweet vegetables. Keep beets and glazed carrots away, too.

November 21, 2012 at 7:05 pm |
  26. hk

Sweet potatoes with brown sugar! Anything to do with marshmallows!

November 21, 2012 at 1:14 am |
    • Dover

And check again.

November 21, 2012 at 1:25 am |
  27. silapu

I couldn't believe somebody hates simply salted, slightly salted okra. Also you seem to dislike anything without meat

November 21, 2012 at 1:11 am |
  28. CranberrySauceIsEvil

Also, the sickeningly sweet yam/sweet potato dishes with marshmallows

November 21, 2012 at 1:10 am |
    • Dover

Bleaurghhhh!

November 21, 2012 at 1:26 am |
  29. CranberrySauceIsEvil

Cranberry sauce nauseates me, especially right out of a can and kept in that shape. I like the tarter homemade varieties occasionally but I avoid even looking at the canned molds.

November 21, 2012 at 1:09 am |
  30. CranberrySauceIsEvil

November 21, 2012 at 1:08 am |
  31. Rojo

Candied yams, mince meat pie and jello abominations.

November 21, 2012 at 1:01 am |
  32. Just Thankful

As much as I love KFC, it was always funny to me for family members to bring a bucket of the colonel's best to our Thanksgiving meal. But I was thankful for it every year!

November 21, 2012 at 12:58 am |
    • Dover

Which trailer park does your family live in? Just curios.

November 21, 2012 at 1:27 am |
      • Alicia

hahahahah I think your hilarious I love reading your coments thumbs up!!! : )

November 21, 2012 at 2:03 am |
  33. Jessica

I can't stand anything that has to be covered in those crusty onion pieces like the green been casserole in the picture. Pearl Onions with those fried onion things on top are equally gross.

November 21, 2012 at 12:57 am |
    • Just Thankful

AMEN!

November 21, 2012 at 1:01 am |
  34. Jim

The Turkey. Everything else is fine. I'd rather have a ham or even a hamburger than turkey. Ribs would be fine, even ckicken or fish or pasta – anything but turkey.

November 21, 2012 at 12:48 am |
    • Jessica

Is it dry Turkey that bothers you Jim? A moist Turkey is great.

November 21, 2012 at 12:58 am |
      • moobie

mmmmm...moist.

November 21, 2012 at 3:54 am |
    • Dover

Fckuing weirdo

November 21, 2012 at 1:24 am |
    • dnfromge

Jim – I dislike the turkey too. I'd much rather have a ham or a beef tenderloin, but the family insists that I continue to make it – and they rave about it – eww! I brine it the night before, I put garlic, fresh herbs (thyme and sage), quartered orange, quartered onion in the cavity and it comes out very moist and flavorful (according to family) – I just don't like turkey (or chicken for matter). So I don't eat it and stick to the side dishes.

November 21, 2012 at 10:34 am |
  35. Dana

There are people starving, and people who can't afford special food for Thanksgiving. The spirit of this article is something wrong with people in this country. This is a holiday about gratitude and abundance. A plate of plenty before you, and your thoughts are centered on "What DON'T you like"? Be grateful for the food you have. Be gracious if it's not to your taste. There is nothing to excuse the attitude here.

November 21, 2012 at 12:42 am |
    • Jessica

Dana, the reality of it is that there is almost always some type of food served that someone wont like. If you can't handle that little fact then maybe you shouldn't have read the story.

November 21, 2012 at 1:00 am |
    • silly to lecture

I would never complain about the abundance of food available or loved ones coming together to share it, but that doesn't mean I have to love every dish, even though of course I would never insult the chef and am grateful to be able to pick and choose! We are just sharing our preferences here, enjoy the spirit and share your least favorite dish. :-)

November 21, 2012 at 1:15 am |
      • Charlotte

That's the nice thing if it's served buffet style or there are a lot of people – nobody notices if you bypass something that doesn't appeal to you. That includes the meat dishes. Nobody should be saying such mean things to the vegetarians – they are entitled to avoid the turkey just like you (whoever you are) can avoid the cranberries if you don't like them. You don't hear them calling you names for it. Just STFU and eat, already. And don't forget to give to those who are less fortunate.

November 21, 2012 at 5:20 pm |
    • Dover

You need some kind of ointment for your overly sensitive feelings. You can be thankful, charitable and still be gagged by a certain traditional dish. If you are so damn wound up about this, go collect all the candied yams from all the Tgiving dinners across the US and send them to countries in need. Until then, allow us to hate some of these ghastly dishes. Thank you!

November 21, 2012 at 1:32 am |
      • Alicia

exactly some people need to chill the hell out geez

November 21, 2012 at 2:04 am |
    • JR

November 21, 2012 at 2:09 am |
  36. Karen

My cousin's oldest daughter continually made this awful casserole with frozen hashbrowns, cream and cheese – YUCK! All I was interested in was a plain baked sweet potatoes but noooooooo, they had to be sweetened, glazed and topped with marshmellows. Is it a wonder that I always volunteered to work evening shift during the holidays?

November 21, 2012 at 12:41 am |
    • mike kays

god that sounds bloody awful lol

November 21, 2012 at 2:33 am |
  37. Meow

Since he was a kid, my husband calls green bean casserole "Cat Barf Casserole" (just rolls off the tongue doesn’t it?) because it looked like a cat had just eaten a bunch of grass and vomited it up. Now I can't look this dish without laughing and getting nauseous at the same time!

November 21, 2012 at 12:41 am |
  38. Greenbean Wallflower

Call me weird, but I look forward to green bean casserole haha. It's one of my favorite Thanksgiving dishes. Maybe you guys are just not making it right. The GBC my mom makes is amazing. I always look forward to the green bean casserole and the homemade mashed potatoes.

November 21, 2012 at 12:38 am |
    • Not weird

Green bean casserole may not be my favorite dish, but I have spent many holidays with many different families, and have noticed that more people like it or love it than avoid it. It is often the first dish to go, even before the mashed potatoes or stuffing. Either this writer has a relative who overcooks it or it simply doesn't appeal to her, understandable as we all have foods that don't appeal to us (personally okra and I do not get along).

November 21, 2012 at 1:01 am |
    • Dover

You're weird. There, I said it. So, you take perfectly good, perfectly healthy green beans and dump a can of Campbell's cream of mushroom soup on top and then some potato chips or fake fried onions and then cook the crap out of them. This is not food....this is a shortcut. Just make some green freaking beans for chrissakes!

November 21, 2012 at 1:36 am |
      • Alicia

lmfao hahahahahhahaha

November 21, 2012 at 2:06 am |
    • Charlotte

You're not weird. I love it.

November 21, 2012 at 5:22 pm |
  39. Les

Giblet gravy-barf!

November 20, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
  40. hemo

Man I hate the poop dish! when that comes around i always pass it on, but my other family members cant get enough poop!

November 20, 2012 at 11:28 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants ♫♫

It's as good as catsasscoffee!

November 21, 2012 at 10:49 am |
  41. ugh

Every Thanksgiving and Christmas AND Easter since my husband threw me out I just work for holidays, often I have no choice but work for holidays. Once in awhile, but not recently does my employer give us a plate of Thanksgiving-ish food.
    You people complaining about a family member's cooking?? Try not having anyone to cook for you, or cook for.
    I used to make whatever everyone wanted, family would come to my house, since my ex and I had the nicest one, and they all said they loved it.

November 20, 2012 at 11:23 pm |
    • Jessica

Bitter about a divorce are we? Were talking about T-Day foods we don't like, your ranting wont stop it.

November 21, 2012 at 1:03 am |
    • Dover

Pick yourself up and invite some friends over for Thanksgiving. You'll have a great time and forget sh!thead more and more as each fun experience happens. Don't make the yams or GB casserole. Bird, Potatoes and gravy, rolls, punkin pie....guys will be lined up at the door.

November 21, 2012 at 1:40 am |
  42. Johnny 5

Abe Lincoln established the Thanksgiving that we still celebrate today. Most people have been taught of the Pilgrims and the Native Americans gathering as the 1st celebration. The pilgrims fasted on Thanksgiving only to later feast with the natives. Then we but the hand that fed us. I dislike turkey necks by the way.

November 20, 2012 at 11:20 pm |
  43. MArk

Give thanks, and eat what ever the heck you want. Its just another day after all.

November 20, 2012 at 11:12 pm |
  44. ROFL ROFL

Not big turkey fan, until last year. Daughter soaked it in a brine solution and it turned out so juicy and tasty. Like smoked turkey. You who do not like fresh cranberries might change if you tasted mine. Last year, huge crowd, had the cranberries in crock pot and people kept going back thru the day getting taste of it. Was big hit and a delicious smell of fall to boot. Don't like my veggies in processed food casseroles. Good fresh veggies and at the end of the day you will not feel ill.

November 20, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
    • Mrs. Taylor

Recipe of cranberries in crockpot?

November 20, 2012 at 11:30 pm |
    • ROFLMAO

Yes, please. I would love the recipe..

November 20, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
    • Ivy

I second that! Make everything as fresh as possible. Nothing out of a can or a box, thank you.

November 21, 2012 at 12:43 am |
  45. Opheliadw

over sugared and then sugared more with marshmallows......the sweet potato.... I love sweet potatoes but this dish is by far the worst of the worst..... with the butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, then the marshmallows....I shudder just thinking about them....

November 20, 2012 at 11:01 pm |
    • Charlotte

I like to mix it up by serving pumpkin soup, and sweet potato cheesecake for dessert. Then nobody can complain about not getting their yams, and they're SUPPOSED to be sweet in the cheesecake (which I never eat anyway). Pumpkin soup is not full of all that marshmallow and syrup crap and is savory, so we get both pumpkin and yams but nothing disgusting.

November 21, 2012 at 5:24 pm |
  46. GEEWORKER

I dont dread the food I dread the next day after thanksgiving all the food, long day(s) in prepping beer touch football in the backyard/ watching football pie cakes more food late night pie and turkey sandwich all this is fun but the body pay the price next day o well cant wait to next year

November 20, 2012 at 10:59 pm |
  47. AuntFlower

Green Bean Casserole... never had it , never will.... prefer my green beans whole, baked til crisp, wrapped in bacon slices...

November 20, 2012 at 10:49 pm |
    • groo

Sounds very good. I'd eat the casserole too and it it delicious. The one in this picture though, something about those onions looks like frozen onion rings.

November 20, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
    • Alicia

yummy that does sound good : )

November 21, 2012 at 2:12 am |
  48. GEEWORKER

well I hope they dont cut the grass go graze in the backyard elisy

November 20, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
  49. AnonymousScandinavian

Lutefisk. Yes, it can be served for Thanksgiving and there are evil people out that that feed it to their kids. It has been 20 years but it still triggers my gag reflex.

November 20, 2012 at 10:40 pm |
    • Jessica

What a strange dish it is. With it's beyond bizarre preparation its a wonder that anyone ever discovers it wont kill you if you eat it.

November 21, 2012 at 1:10 am |