August 13th, 2012

Samantha Reichman is an intern on CNN Early Start and Starting Point. She is a senior at The College of William and Mary, a coffee fiend and a trained barista. She blogs at Alimentación. All pictures taken at Blue Bottle Coffee in Manhattan.

As local coffee culture seems to be approaching critical mass, the need for a superior, distinctive product is becoming even more pressing.

Caffeine aficionados are also experiencing a phase of experimentation. Myriad styles of coffee preparation and presentation combined with selective sourcing allow for unprecedented levels of personal flair. But can individuality truly be achieved at an espresso bar?

One ceremony in particular comes to mind: "pour-over" coffee, also known as "hand pour coffee," is a brewing style used to produce a single cup at a time. This method was not concocted behind the bar of any Stumptown or Blue Bottle location; rather it migrated here from the Far East, Japan to be exact.

It was only adopted by coffee epicures and American roasting companies in the past decade, and the time constraints of many customers have prevented the practice from taking off, especially in grab-and-go-style businesses. The practice gained exponentially more buzz last year when the New York Times examined the origin of the pour-over.

In all, the process takes three to four minutes to complete, and the wait is worth it. The benefits of pour-over compared to other brewing tactics lie in the timing and control in the wrist. Infusing the ground coffee for the correct length of time with a controlled hand will produce a fuller, fruity taste, often accented with floral notes.

Take a minute (or two...or three...) and steep in this beginner's tutorial on brewing a single cup of glorious coffee via the pour-over method.

Supplies you'll need:

– Fresh coffee (roasted under two weeks week prior to brewing)
– Coffee grinder
– Single-cup drip coffee cone (ceramic or glass)
– Paper filter to fit
– Kettle with a swan-necked spout (for precision pouring)
– Gram scale (extremely helpful when beginning)
– Coffee cup

Step 1
Select your beans. Single-origin beans, rather than a blend, are preferred with this process because they offer a subtle range of flavors that are region specific. Because it is brewed to order in shops, you can become familiar with the product of various countries by simply ordering a cup from, say a Nicaraguan town, or sample them yourself by purchasing small quantities of beans at a time.

Step 2
Heat water in the kettle and grind coffee to medium-fine ground: finer than auto drip but coarser than what would be used to draw a shot of espresso. A good gauge would be to measure 1.5-2 grams of coffee for every fluid ounce you intend to drink. In this example, we'll consider a 16 ounce cup that will require approximately 30-32 grams of coffee.

Step 3
Fold the edge of the filter or trim away the excess and place in your dripper. Position the dripper on top of the cup.

Step 4
Use kettle to pre-wet the filter with water between 195°F and 205°F; the kettle will reach this temperature after 35-40 seconds after it has been removed from boiling heat. This will prevent a paper taste as well as preheat the cup. Dump water from cup.

Step 5
Place the whole contraption atop a gram scale and tare (zero-out) the scale, so that it can properly measure the amount of water.

Step 6
Pour just enough water over the grounds to cover evenly. Let this sit for 30 to 50 seconds, or until the "bloom" has settled. This is called "pre-infusing" and it allows carbon dioxide to naturally escape from the coffee.

Step 7
This is where the precision and patience come into play. Begin pouring again very slowly, allowing the water level reach halfway up the cone, for optimal "extraction". Continue pouring in a circular motion, working your way out, avoiding pouring directly onto the filter. This should last 40 to 45 seconds.

Pause long enough in order to let the grounds settle, then begin pouring again until the scale has reached about 515 grams in total (Note: grams of water also differs based on grams of coffee).

Step 8
Wait until the stream slows to a drip, remove the filter, dump the grounds and enjoy your well-deserved, home brewed cup of coffee.

Step 9 (Optional)
Complement with a light citrus dessert to further enhance the flavors.

Keep in mind that perfecting the pour-over process is personal. Yes, a particular portion of water will enrich the flavor of the coffee in a specific way, but each individual also maintains a unique palate.

Practice your steady, even pouring technique at intervals that you prefer and you will be just fine, says this barista.

Previously - Want great coffee for less? Take matters into your own hands

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. hh

All Vietnamese coffee shops brew this way – give it a try and stop by one.

August 14, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
  2. havenasp

Starbucks does this when they're out of coffee, like towards the end of the day. they'll use this process. I'd rather do french press

August 14, 2012 at 1:04 pm |
  3. Ed B

Even better coffee: Aeropress

August 14, 2012 at 12:59 pm |
    • Ed B

And no, I have no interest in the company. I simply love the product.

August 14, 2012 at 1:00 pm |
  4. eggnumber9

We make it that way when we go camping. Didn't know there was so much fuss .

August 14, 2012 at 12:56 pm |
  5. Era

Seriously? My family has done it this way for three generations– my grandparents did it, my parents do it, and so do I. You can buy a plastic cup-top brewer funnel thing for like... under five bucks at the grocery store. Imported from Japan? Some fancy new "artisanal" method of brewing superiour coffee? Sure, okay, if it makes you feel special... It's just a more convenient way to make one cup of coffee than hauling out some contraption that will take ten minutes to heat up.

August 14, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
  6. Linus

It's always enlightning to read stories about how the other half lives.

August 14, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Duped again

Are you referring to the articles author or the respondents?

August 14, 2012 at 12:46 pm |
  7. AGeek

A 16oz coffee? From a pour-over? For *one* person? The subtlety of the technique developed in Japan certainly did *not* come along with the technique itself. That's a typically "American" (US, specifically) portion. Ugh. So unrefined.

August 14, 2012 at 12:43 pm |
    • Jake

Seriously?

August 14, 2012 at 1:59 pm |
  8. Billy

I work in an office, some of the seniors I work with used to say coffee always takes better out ot an older drip coffee maker. I think I understand from reading this article, the coffee makers drip hole would start to clog causing the water to stay with the coffee longer.

August 14, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  9. Marko3

I have been making coffee this way for years. Mainly because I am the only coffee drinker in my house so it doesn't make sense to brew a whole pot. Who knew I was sooooo cutting edge! LOL

August 14, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
  10. WVLady63

You forgot the salt. My Father was Native American. Every time he made coffee, he would shake some salt into the dry coffee before he pushed the button. The salt neutralizes the acid in the coffee, no bite and no stomach upset from the acid. I NEVER brew coffee without salt. Don't knock it until you've tried it.

August 14, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
    • Poppa

and ketchup! lotsa ketchup!!

August 14, 2012 at 12:40 pm |
    • Andrew

I first heard the salt trick on an episode of Alton Brown's Good Eats. I tried it and loved it. It seems to help accentuate some of the more subtle flavors whilst simultaneously keeping the bitterness at bay. I would say it is important not to add too much salt because it is undesirable to actually notice it. One need only add enough to enhance the natural flavors of the coffee and minimize acidity and bitterness.

August 14, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
    • Wastrel

Yes, a tiny bit of salt. And (not mentioned in the article) bottled or distilled water, not the stuff from the tap that has been chemically optimized for use in your washing machine.

August 14, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
  11. MsJaycey

Want great coffee?

Step 1: Get in car
    Step 2: Drive to local coffee shop
    Step 3: Tender payment
    Step 4: Enjoy!

August 14, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
  12. Poppa

How pretentious!! Me? I grow my own beans and roast them in a fire i made by rubbing two sticks together, grind them between two rocks, boil the water using a magnifying glass while my girl cups the water in her delicate hands and when it gets too hot to hold i wait another 2 minutes, then i sprinkle the grind into her hands and when the grinds settle, she gently pour the coffee into my waiting maw. The way coffee was intended.

August 14, 2012 at 12:36 pm |
    • MsJaycey

I love that your girl cups her hands to filter the grounds. What a gal! This process sounds more simple than the one above.

August 14, 2012 at 12:41 pm |
      • Poppa

And she can skip having the dye put on her hands when she goes to the tanning booth... I'm just thinking of ways to save her money!

August 14, 2012 at 12:44 pm |
    • katrinas husband

Id like her to cup her hands too. But not on coffee beans but some other thing...Mmm...i think i would like that a lot buddy..

August 14, 2012 at 1:02 pm |
  13. Michael McGlaughlin

I like Folger's ground, morning brew(very weak), lotsa half and half plus sugar.

August 14, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • B33tle

Why bother with the coffee? ;)

August 14, 2012 at 12:45 pm |
  14. Lindsey

I had a hand poured coffee from starbucks a couple weeks ago. It was so strong that I almost vibrated my steering wheel off my car.

August 14, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
  15. JB

YOU PEOPLE ARE IDIOTS!!!!

August 14, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • yessssssssssssssssss

ur correct.

August 14, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
  16. Siphon Brewing Technique

I can't believe TWO articles from Atlanta-based CNN talk about "local coffee culture" without mentioning the Steady Hand Pour House! Do you get out much, CNN?

If you want to witness coffee made the right way, go there and order a carafe, siphon-brewed. The difference is immense. You won't look at coffee the same way again, and it's a great show to have the folks behind the bar playing mad scientist and lighting things on fire to make your coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
    • Atlanta BLOWS Chunks

Atlanta Stinks... then there is the people that live there.

August 14, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
      • yessssssssssssssssss

ab-so-lllloooooooooooottttt-ly....[spelled on purpose].....most non english speaking....rude...low class...low forehead..people that will steal dirty underware just to steal someting and run over you if you are not doing at least 85 in a 55.the closest i ever come to atl now is about 6500 feet overhead.thank goodness for GA.

August 14, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  17. I buy the good stuff... Bonnie buys the crap

I know how good my coffee tastes... and there is not a dead Ni@@er storage sign in my front yard.

August 14, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • 1BMFer

I could have sworn that was tasters choice.

August 14, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
  18. Hopper59

The missing piece from the article is to squeeze the remaining coffee out of the grounds before you take them out of the filter. If you like bold coffee it provides the last little flavor shot that makes a good cup of coffee great.

August 14, 2012 at 12:23 pm |
    • Poppa

Why use water!? Just a pinch between cheek and gums!

August 14, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
  19. Rational Neo

Any coffee-prep that involves more than 2-3 steps (add water, add grinds, push ON) isn't worth it.

August 14, 2012 at 12:19 pm |
    • Siphon Brewing Technique

Coffee is either a commodity or a luxury. If it's a commodity, it's something like Bustello or Folgers, which ships stale, tastes bad, has problems with slave labor in the supply chain, is drastically overpriced for a slave-produced product, and comes out of a tin like this is the war. Don't even bother to brew that stuff "correctly," because there is no right way. Just chew the beans and be done with it. Or boil the grounds like you're on the cattle drive. Doesn't matter, it's junk.

If it's a luxury, then do it right. You don't microwave a porterhouse, and you don't put real coffee into a Mister Coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 12:33 pm |
      • Poppa

August 14, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
        • yessssssssssssssssss

fool.

August 14, 2012 at 1:16 pm |
        • NotSoHumblePie

"You uncultured poops don't even pass your beans through the gut of a civet cat! How drole" Umm, that's 'droll'. Lern too spel, pleece.

August 14, 2012 at 1:17 pm |
    • Jimmy the Swartz

Yep! People have WAY too much time on their hands in order to go through this effort for a cup of java.

August 14, 2012 at 12:34 pm |
  20. EFix

Fastest and most convenient way to make a single cup of coffee (aside from instant). No special equipment, nothing to wash – I use a cheap plastic coffee "cone" and unbleached paper filters. Like that you can control the strength to your personal taste – just dump another tablespoon of coffee into the filter, pour as much boiling water as you need based on the size of the cup, and voila – a custom cup of coffee for the road.

August 14, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
  21. Phil

LMAO. Just buy a Tassimo and get real. Note I didn't say Keurig.

August 14, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
  22. Marnix

In my great-grandmother's house in the Netherlands, this is how it was done – I never knew you could make pour-over coffee in any other way. Here is another twist though: in her house the filter would be set up the night before with an ice-cube on top. The ice would melt overnight and slowly infuse and swell the coffee grinds. The next day, just add boiling water in slow, measured quantities. No one actually measured amounts though. One just 'knew' how much coffee and water it took to make the perfect cup.

August 14, 2012 at 12:09 pm |
  23. Lisa

My German Grandmother made coffee in the morning like that, when I was a child. She used Melitta ceramic cone and paper funnel. Same technique and timing. She also had a heating coil she would set into the metal water pot to bring to a boil then let it sit. The other poster is correct, people were brewing coffee like that for decades.

August 14, 2012 at 12:07 pm |
  24. buffalo

Coffee for the obsessive-compulsive! When I get up, I want my coffee NOW, not to perform a Japanese coffee ceremony.

August 14, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
  25. brosie4mykids

I grew up (say 40 years ago) with my mom preparing coffee this way every morning. She would have just the right touch in pouring that boiling water just so in order for the grounds to steep just right. Brings back a lot of memories i.e. the smell of rich, dark fresh brewing coffee and the taste of lots of milk and sugar to coffee ratio for a 10 year old's palate (mom could make a spoon stand up straight in that coffee :).

August 14, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
  26. giggity

Jean Reno picks up one of the donuts and "hilariously" says, "No croissant?" Then we get a shot of him "hilariously" sipping the coffee and wincing at the taste of it, setting up this riotous exchange:

Jean Reno picks up one of the donuts and "hilariously" says, "No croissant?" Then he takes a sip and winces at the taste of it:
    Jean Reno: You call this coffee?
    French Guy: I call this America!
    funny scene

August 14, 2012 at 12:02 pm |
  27. Duped again

What a bunch of crap.

August 14, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
  28. Elmer

...now, when I circle, is that clockwise or counter clockwise? Any difference if I'm in the southern hemisphere?

August 14, 2012 at 11:59 am |
    • Phil

hahah agreed. when circling, we don't want to throw off the whole zen of the thing. one must know hemispherically, what is the proper rotation. I, for one, will not sleep until this is unveiled!

August 14, 2012 at 12:12 pm |
    • APaws

omg.. lol... my coffee almost came out of my nose!

August 14, 2012 at 12:25 pm |
  29. Dudaroo

Moka Pot is my favorite, makes just the right amount, tastes amazing and I save a ton of money brewing my own cup of joe.

August 14, 2012 at 11:59 am |
  30. Daniel

Forget that, Cafe Bustello is where it is at. Only 4 bucks a can, strong as heck, and even when poorly made taste better than Starbucks. Only a poser pay 3+ for crappy coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 11:55 am |
    • proveyourpoint

Right on!!! Cafe Bustello rocks, especially for the price.

August 14, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
  31. Vivian

I'm heating up the water pot right now and give it a try...

August 14, 2012 at 11:53 am |
  32. Dunlar

Eat the grounds, and chase it with scalding water.

August 14, 2012 at 11:53 am |
    • Phil

LIKE A BOSS!

August 14, 2012 at 12:13 pm |
  33. cwiltz3

I'm glad LouisP pointed out that we brew coffee this way in New Orleans. I always thought it originated a few centuries ago with the French. We even have special coffee pots covered with enamel that help measure the coffee and provide two enamel filters. The top filter is made to keep the water drip slow and even. I was always told never to skip the step of pouring enough water to let the grounds "set." Also, we wait about 40 seconds before we begin to pour so the boiling water will not burn the coffee. These pots come in two sizes. A better coffee maker and a better cup of coffee can't be found.

August 14, 2012 at 11:53 am |
  34. Chuck Jolley

This process is MUCH older than the article seems to imply. Like 1908 old: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melitta

We made coffee this way in the 60's and still have a large glass pour through carafe from the 70's.
    This is the only way we have to make coffee in our house. We gave up on coffee makers years ago.

August 14, 2012 at 11:52 am |
  35. tombro

I am not sure why but people have been making coffee with this method for quite a long time. I use a Chemex coffee maker and employ the techniques described in the step by step process. I have been making coffee this way since the early 80's.

August 14, 2012 at 11:51 am |
    • Chuck Jolley

Our old glass one is a Chemex, thanks for reminding me of the name.

August 14, 2012 at 11:54 am |
  36. randolph32

Nice How TO...now the next step is doing this at home with a Chemex or Melitta rig, or if you prefer an Automatic I suggest a Techni Vorm model, as they are the only pots that will actually bring the water temp to the desired level...more than most would pay for a 'coffee maker', yet mine has lasted close to 15 years and still going strong....try Sweet Marias online.

For your next trick you should get into Home Coffee Roasting, a very satisfying hobby so you don't have to rely on a coffee shop that's buying who knows what and telling you he knows what he's talking about. Good luck!!

August 14, 2012 at 11:48 am |
    • jcoraz

BonaVita machines also produce the proper temperature and, along with the TechV, are the only machines endorsed by the Specialty Coffee Association. Been using one for 6 months. Great coffee when combined with freshly ground/roasted coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
  37. Monger(as in fish)

"...will produce a fuller, fruity taste, often accented with floral notes."

Elitist pap. Sounds like some twinky-headed wine 'expert.' Does the coffee have a "nose?" How about "delicately nuanced hint of the Mediterranean."

August 14, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • randolph32

It's like anything else, if you're interested in it you'll learn, if not, just drink Dunkin Donuts coffee and get on with your life.

August 14, 2012 at 11:49 am |
    • Jimmy the Swartz

I agree, Monger! It is getting as bad as pretentious wine drinkers: "oh, this wine has fruity overtones and a hint of guano." Now we have elitist snobs poo-pooing on people who just want a simple cup of java.

August 14, 2012 at 12:38 pm |
  38. Jota

Lost my interest when I read that it was drip coffee. You need not only temperature but also pressure to get the good stuff out your beans...

August 14, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  39. dank

I use a Vietnamese drip coffee filter.

August 14, 2012 at 11:40 am |
  40. Kenny

The old fashion "on the stove" metal purcolators make great coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 11:40 am |
    • Daniel

Ahh, thanks for the memories.

August 14, 2012 at 1:34 pm |
  41. old ben

The only thing that used to bother me about this method before I started making my own espresso, is that frequently by the time the coffee was made, I was wide awake and might have some burnt hands. But it does make a tasty cup of coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 11:39 am |
  42. Reality Check...

Seriously? In a world rampant with hunger, disease, war and poverty THIS is the level of self indulgent, pandering nonsense we have stooped to in America. No wonder we are looked upon as spoilt, selfish, hedonistic wimps.

August 14, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • bronsond

AMEN!!

August 14, 2012 at 11:46 am |
    • sarap

relax.....

August 14, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • jonathan

Mr./Ms. Reality Check, in a world rampant with life-destroying and family-destroying and community-destroying addictions, this attention to coffee brewing seems productive.

August 14, 2012 at 12:01 pm |
    • Seeker

Good grief! What a belligerent blast just for someone sharing something good. Who are they hurting? Get over yourself! And you are a paragon of virtue who has no waste (or for that matter any personal pleasure) in life? Why is enjoying something that does no harm wrong? You are definitly a joy buster.

August 14, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
      • jcoraz

Exactly. Good comment.

August 14, 2012 at 12:26 pm |
    • youpeopleareeffinglunatics

Hear, hear. Sheer lunacy. An entire article on a news (?) site devoted to this insanity. The country is rapidly spiraling down the loo, but, by all means, let's stop and ponder the virtues of pouring-over civet cat droppings vs the Maxwell House ooze that the dirty commoners drink.

Pardon the interruption, Nero, you may now continue.

August 14, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
    • sbilderb

Really, would the world be a better place if no good news or enlightening articles were published until the world was perfect for everyone? As trivial as this article may seem to you, it may have just given someone the spark of hope that they needed. Strongly opinionated idealists are the biggest problem this country (and the world) has.

Get over it!

August 14, 2012 at 12:05 pm |
    • Geez

Hunger, war, disease and poverty have been around since the beginning of time. It's not new to the world. Life is very short in the grand scheme of things. I work hard every day, take care of my family and live a pretty honest life. If I want a good cup of coffee or a properly aerated glass of wine and it gets me through the day, that's my business. If you are so concerned about these things, then feed the hungry, join the military, cure diseases and give all your money to the poor. I'm pretty sure those issues will never cease. They are more a product of corrupt governments and rampant greed by the 1%, not by the average middle class person who wants to have small enjoyments in life for making good decisions and taking care of oneself. If you don't want to read a light article on coffee, then don't click on it and then make a douchey comment. If I sat around and fretted over all of the world's ills, I might as well just end it today.

August 14, 2012 at 12:18 pm |
    • JoeBeer

Hmm...I'm thinking you should switch to decaf

August 14, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
  43. otis konay

....was only adopted by coffee epicures and American roasting companies in the past decade

Please – This is how I made coffee back in 1979 as one of the only options to a percolator. Melitta has been making pour over coffee makers for decades.

August 14, 2012 at 11:38 am |
  44. bronsond

I love a good cup of coffee as much as anyone, but this is an example of self-indulgence gone overboard. No wonder the US is declining.

August 14, 2012 at 11:38 am |
    • jonathan

bronsond, I bet that cocaine, heroin, and meth have more to do with America's "decline" than attention to how a sefl-indulgent person brews his coffee

August 14, 2012 at 12:04 pm |
      • youpeopleareeffinglunatics

Jonathan...I beg to differ. This is just another example of needless self-indulgence and imagined self-importance. The Cult of Me is exactly what's going wrong here. Remember JFK? "Ask not what your country..." and all of that old rot? Try that approach on the America of 2012.

August 14, 2012 at 12:16 pm |
  45. LouisP

This style of preparing coffee has ben done a very long time ago! If anyone ever hear of a coffee joint-Cafe du Monde in New Orleans serve their coffee this way with some beignets and voila French style coffee...Duh!
    I'd recommend a blend of beansmy taste Arabica and robusta and a pinch of salt.

August 14, 2012 at 11:36 am |
  46. Lindsay Gray

Grinding your own fresh beans is the key ingredient in great coffee. But I simply can't believe that coffee dripped through a paper filter can be better than that made in a French press coffee-maker. Apart from god-knows-what chemicals are in the paper filters, the paper traps most of the wonderful natural oils that provide the rich flavours in 'real' coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 11:34 am |
    • Elisabeth

Agreed. French press all the way.

August 14, 2012 at 11:45 am |
    • bronsond

Absolutely the best

August 14, 2012 at 11:46 am |
      • randolph32

Curious how a 'pour over brew' is any more self indulgent than a French Press cup of Joe?

August 14, 2012 at 11:51 am |
        • Seriously??

Make one and you will find out

August 14, 2012 at 12:10 pm |
    • John in Oakland

I agree that pressed coffee tastes better. But some of us (including me) are sensitive to coffee fats—our cholesterol levels shoot up in response to them..

August 14, 2012 at 12:17 pm |
    • Rory

The idea that white filters are done that way because of chemical flushing is inaccurate; they are oxygenated to make them white. Also, paper holds back a particular chemical that in the body creates bad cholesterol. Also, because there is no filter cleaning up the body its hard to get the origin flavors and subtle nuances that one can get from a hand-pour like a v-60 or Chemex. The only reason french press is so popular is because, for a lack of better words, its idiot proof and a giant step up from your standard Mr Coffee style auto drip. 60g/l, coarse grind and 4 min brew time, plunge and serve! Super easy. Also, hand-poured started in Germany with Melitta NOT Japan. But oh well.

August 14, 2012 at 12:37 pm |
  47. Kara

Zen and the art of making coffee.....

August 14, 2012 at 11:34 am |
  48. horseyak

Do it this way all the time. Coffee is one of the great pleasures of life that society still hasn't been able to f up.

August 14, 2012 at 11:33 am |
  49. Ben

I do the same thing with a Mr. Coffee coffeemaker.

August 14, 2012 at 11:31 am |
  50. DocL

So I take it my cup of store brand instant doesn't make the nut any more.
    Oh well.