August 13th, 2012

Samantha Reichman is an intern on CNN Early Start and Starting Point. She is a senior at The College of William and Mary, a coffee fiend and a trained barista. She blogs at Alimentación. All pictures taken at Blue Bottle Coffee in Manhattan.

As local coffee culture seems to be approaching critical mass, the need for a superior, distinctive product is becoming even more pressing.

Caffeine aficionados are also experiencing a phase of experimentation. Myriad styles of coffee preparation and presentation combined with selective sourcing allow for unprecedented levels of personal flair. But can individuality truly be achieved at an espresso bar?

One ceremony in particular comes to mind: "pour-over" coffee, also known as "hand pour coffee," is a brewing style used to produce a single cup at a time. This method was not concocted behind the bar of any Stumptown or Blue Bottle location; rather it migrated here from the Far East, Japan to be exact.

It was only adopted by coffee epicures and American roasting companies in the past decade, and the time constraints of many customers have prevented the practice from taking off, especially in grab-and-go-style businesses. The practice gained exponentially more buzz last year when the New York Times examined the origin of the pour-over.

In all, the process takes three to four minutes to complete, and the wait is worth it. The benefits of pour-over compared to other brewing tactics lie in the timing and control in the wrist. Infusing the ground coffee for the correct length of time with a controlled hand will produce a fuller, fruity taste, often accented with floral notes.

Take a minute (or two...or three...) and steep in this beginner's tutorial on brewing a single cup of glorious coffee via the pour-over method.

Supplies you'll need:

– Fresh coffee (roasted under two weeks week prior to brewing)
– Coffee grinder
– Single-cup drip coffee cone (ceramic or glass)
– Paper filter to fit
– Kettle with a swan-necked spout (for precision pouring)
– Gram scale (extremely helpful when beginning)
– Coffee cup

Step 1
Select your beans. Single-origin beans, rather than a blend, are preferred with this process because they offer a subtle range of flavors that are region specific. Because it is brewed to order in shops, you can become familiar with the product of various countries by simply ordering a cup from, say a Nicaraguan town, or sample them yourself by purchasing small quantities of beans at a time.

Step 2
Heat water in the kettle and grind coffee to medium-fine ground: finer than auto drip but coarser than what would be used to draw a shot of espresso. A good gauge would be to measure 1.5-2 grams of coffee for every fluid ounce you intend to drink. In this example, we'll consider a 16 ounce cup that will require approximately 30-32 grams of coffee.

Step 3
Fold the edge of the filter or trim away the excess and place in your dripper. Position the dripper on top of the cup.

Step 4
Use kettle to pre-wet the filter with water between 195°F and 205°F; the kettle will reach this temperature after 35-40 seconds after it has been removed from boiling heat. This will prevent a paper taste as well as preheat the cup. Dump water from cup.

Step 5
Place the whole contraption atop a gram scale and tare (zero-out) the scale, so that it can properly measure the amount of water.

Step 6
Pour just enough water over the grounds to cover evenly. Let this sit for 30 to 50 seconds, or until the "bloom" has settled. This is called "pre-infusing" and it allows carbon dioxide to naturally escape from the coffee.

Step 7
This is where the precision and patience come into play. Begin pouring again very slowly, allowing the water level reach halfway up the cone, for optimal "extraction". Continue pouring in a circular motion, working your way out, avoiding pouring directly onto the filter. This should last 40 to 45 seconds.

Pause long enough in order to let the grounds settle, then begin pouring again until the scale has reached about 515 grams in total (Note: grams of water also differs based on grams of coffee).

Step 8
Wait until the stream slows to a drip, remove the filter, dump the grounds and enjoy your well-deserved, home brewed cup of coffee.

Step 9 (Optional)
Complement with a light citrus dessert to further enhance the flavors.

Keep in mind that perfecting the pour-over process is personal. Yes, a particular portion of water will enrich the flavor of the coffee in a specific way, but each individual also maintains a unique palate.

Practice your steady, even pouring technique at intervals that you prefer and you will be just fine, says this barista.

Previously - Want great coffee for less? Take matters into your own hands

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. dc

Try the Original blend with a little sugar and powdered cream at Quick Trip. You won't need Starbucks any more, and a HELLUVA lot cheaper!

August 14, 2012 at 11:29 am |
    • Apu

Come down to thee KwikyMart, it's all ready for you.

August 14, 2012 at 11:34 am |
  2. 5centguy

Yeah.....if I could do all that in the morning I wouldn't need the coffee. quit being so prissy.
    1 – instant coffee and water in cup
    2- nuke
    3 – add cream
    4 – go do

August 14, 2012 at 11:27 am |
  3. Geoffrey

I'm worn out just reading about it. Waitress! Bring me a coffee please. I'm so tired now.

August 14, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • flaborngirl

Yeah, right?! WHO does this?! How much time DO they have in the morning?! My guess is that they're either extremely self-indulgent, independently wealthy, retired, or ALL three... I'm going to go warm up my coffee in the microwave now...

August 14, 2012 at 11:27 am |
    • Here ya go, hon, right out of the Bunn.

More pie?

August 14, 2012 at 11:42 am |
  4. Charles

This has been around far longer than a decade. My parents were doing this back in the 80's with the plastic filter holder which set on top of the cup, mass produced for this very thing. Welcome to the '80's, eatocracy.

August 14, 2012 at 11:24 am |
    • Trolling Eagle Named Freedom

Yes, it has been around for longer than a decade. This is why the article states 'it migrated here from the Far East, Japan to be exact.' Please read properly before commenting.

August 14, 2012 at 11:28 am |
      • Chuck

Actually it's been around for more than a hundred years and it's from Germany.

August 15, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
  5. Has anyone thought about the WATER, fer Chrissakes?

‘He mashed hundreds of cakes of GI soap into the sweet potatoes just to show that people have the taste of Philistines and don’t know the difference between good and bad. Every man in the squadron was sick. Missions were canceled.’
    ‘Well!’ Milo exclaimed, with thin-upped disapproval. ‘He certainly found out how wrong he was, didn’t he?’
    ‘On the contrary,’ Yossarian corrected. ‘He found out how right he was. We packed it away by the plateful and clamored for more.

August 14, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • Ed G.

"That's some catch, that Catch-22," he observed.
      "It's the best there is," Doc Daneeka agreed.

August 14, 2012 at 11:29 am |
    • The knife came down, missing him by inches, and he took off.

August 14, 2012 at 11:37 am |
    • KurtVR

After having read this story, it reminds me, "what's the fuss all about?" I began to grind my own cofeee around 1980 and haven't stopped since. Around the same time, I discovered Chemex which is virtually identical to the "pour over" system here, except with Chemex you got a full pot, not a single serving. I also confess to having tried Senseo's pods and Keurig's k-pods (if you prefer convenience and want to end up paying $25-30 a pound for your coffee, this is the way to go). My Keurig machine, which I kept at my office, went kaputt in under a year. Years ago I bought a simple Bodum (plunger) or Cafe press. It's simplicity in itself. Grind coffee to desired consistency, then put 2-3 coffee scoops in the Bodum. A thicker grind is preferred for the Bodum. Boil water, then wait for 30-60 seconds before pouring over the ground coffee. Place the plunger and top back over the steeping coffee or sit a lid over the top while the coffee steeps. Wait 4 minutes, then stir, press the plunger down to the bottom, and pour. NOTE: Making breakfast, I've often been busy in the kitchen and don't get to the coffee until 5 or even 6 minutes later. No harm done, it's still a fantastic cup of coffee at a mere fraction of the cost of the local coffee shop and even less expensive than the Keurig or Senseo pods. With the "pour over" method, you have to buy coffee filters (ah, the choice...and cost... of bleached vs. unbleached filters now) and, if you're like me, you prefer a huge cup of coffee, 16 oz, not 6,8, or 12 oz. A medium size Bodum style press will cost $30-40, depending on who's selling it and can make 2-3 normal cups or one neat 16 oz . It has its own stainless steel mesh filter which never needs replacing (forget the expense, then, of "bleached" or "unbleached" filters). With the Bodum style, you never need to replace a filter. Simply wash it off after every use, disassemble the plunger and wash the 3-4 components once a week. The "pour over" is simply the old tried and true Chemex system downsized, re-priced (and hyped) for the 21st century.

August 14, 2012 at 11:50 am |
    • Has anyone thought abou..., oh, hell, you know.

All this fuss, and then they go and use chlorinated tap water.

August 14, 2012 at 11:58 am |
  6. Cletus

I've been doing this in my office for years to avoid the cr@p they bring in. Who knew I was so cutting edge?

August 14, 2012 at 11:16 am |
    • old ben

lol.. I was thinking the same thing. And using that method does make a good cup, imho. Although in recent decades, I've made espresso every morning – I can't remember when I last had regular coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 11:23 am |
  7. the_dude

I drink coffee because I like the taste and for its caffine effects. Not to make the scene or look cool in the coffee house.

August 14, 2012 at 11:12 am |
  8. Rod

In Costa Rica this is the traditional way to brew a cup. They use what I refer to as a small cotton sock held open by a wire frame and pour directly into your cup. Boiled water is cooled to a lower temp than what this article recommends.

August 14, 2012 at 11:09 am |
  9. Scott

I like coffee that is fresh, old, hot, cold, strong, weak, sweet, bitter, black or creamy. People are way too fussy about things. Every taste has its own good and bad points. Sometimes, a HOT pepper is just right and other times a cool pepper is what you need. Variety is what life is all about.

August 14, 2012 at 11:05 am |
    • old ben

Agreed. But sometimes things will taste OK, but will act strangely in your body once consumed. I don't know why, but I've tried all the creamers available in the northeast of US and the only commercial one that doesn't tie my stomach in a knot is the regular vanilla safeway creamer (lucerne brand) (even though i hate having to go into their stores). Of course if i use lactaid and sugar or agave, that's ok, but is not as convenient. Regarding the sw creamer, I think it has something to do with the type of milk additive and absence or presence of coconut oil. (And i think without the coconut oil, the sw creamer tastes more like vanilla and less like coconut. I like coconut, but the oil, I think doesn't something funny to my tummy. also, if you make a creamer and it tastes mostly like coconut, why call it vanilla?)

August 14, 2012 at 11:34 am |
  10. Joe

Wait, I'm confused.. A "pour-over" sounds an awful lot like a "reach-around". Are they similar?

August 14, 2012 at 11:02 am |
    • Ed G.

I think you're on to something. Steps 7 and 8 sound like a carnal act too!

August 14, 2012 at 11:06 am |
  11. David DeForge

It's a cup of coffee for Christ's sake...

August 14, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • old ben

citation needed for Jesus' use of and experience with coffee

August 14, 2012 at 11:18 am |
  12. zapper

"It was only adopted by coffee epicures and American roasting companies in the past decade"

Too bad this writer is so poorly informed (and didn't bother to do a little homework for this piece). I've been making coffee this way with the same Chemex cone maker for more than 30 years, and the Chemex has been available since at least the 1960's (along with a similar plastic Melitta model and others). They have gone in and out of fashion, but have been consistently available.

August 14, 2012 at 10:54 am |
    • roxanne

Zapper- You're right! I have had one for years and it makes great coffee when I have the patience. Chemex coffee makers were invented in 1941 and I believe that it is in the permanent collection at MOMA for its innovated design.
      It also shows up in lots of movies (Rosemary's baby, Pillow Talk) and TV shows like Mary Tyler Moore and is mentioned in Ian Fleming James Bond novels.
      Why they passed this over in this article is a mystery. There was a coffee bar in South Coast Plaza here in Ca. that made their coffee with the Melitta method you mentioned back in the 1980's. ??

August 14, 2012 at 11:19 am |
    • marat

I do not know of Chernex....but personally, I have not experienced coffee that is consistently as superb and simple to brew as that which is done with the AeroPress. A BRILLIANT concept invented in 2005 by Stanford University engineering prof Alan Adler. Check it out on Wikipedia or just plug it into a search engine. YouTube abounds with video demonstrations. Virtually every friend I have made a cup for has immediately gone out to purchase this fabulous invention, which goes for maybe 40 bucks and has no really breakable parts. It puts Starbucks to shame. Think of a thick walled lucite syringe that goes through another cylinder (near air tight)that pushes the brew threw a micropore small paper filter and results in perhaps the smoothest and least acidic coffee I have ever had. No electricity required! A HUGE amount of research and experimentation went into this device. It comes with at least a year's supply of the small filters, but these can be washed and reused again and again and again. I have routinely been able to reuse a single one for at least a month, with no negative effects on the taste. There are a slew of writers who make their living from writing about coffee and coffee makers who have basically let their $400+ Espresso/Cap machines gather dust, once they brought the AeroPress into their home. Kudos to Alan Adler. The company he started does very little advertising–a single cup and you are in coffee Nirvana. No technology to break down....and you can take it anywhere, there are just a few parts. Small, cheap and low-tech and one of the best investments I have ever made for early morning delight.

August 14, 2012 at 11:54 am |
    • Chuck

Mrs. Melitta Bentz patented it in Germany in 1908!
      What kind of shallow research did this writer do?

August 15, 2012 at 1:14 pm |
  13. Senya

I've got a love fantasy somewhere between steps 3-5, after step 8 everything was over

August 14, 2012 at 10:54 am |
  14. John H

Meh... any real coffee snob will turn their nose up at the use of the paper filter. anyone that's dazzled by this would have their minds blown by a coffee made in a Syphon pot! that's my go to most mornings. got it down to a quick process. any method just takes a routine to get used too.

August 14, 2012 at 10:50 am |
    • Greg in Arkansas

Syphon pot is the greatest....trying to find one is tough...Sunbeam from the 50's is my choice on the weekends, wihs I could get a Bodum but too pricy on ebay.....fresh roasted beans in a hot air popcorn popper....fresh ground.....don't get any better than this....!!!

August 14, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
  15. Mightaswellbe

I didn't drink coffee before I joined the Navy back in '69 and navy coffee spoiled me for any other type. Dark, hot, and strong, all else is a waste of time and money. If I can see the bottom of the mug then it's just tea.

But then, that's just me. Ya'll have a good time with your fine coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 10:49 am |
    • Trolling Eagle Named Freedom

If you can see the bottom of your mug, there's a good chance that your mug is still empty. Try that 'pouring' thing again.

August 14, 2012 at 10:52 am |
      • Mightaswellbe

Ah Troll, may haps I should have clarified the statement.

If I can see the bottom of the mug then it's just tea or it's empty.

August 14, 2012 at 3:27 pm |
    • zapper

Another vote for Navy coffee (just don't let it sit for 12 hrs.... ;-)

August 14, 2012 at 11:19 am |
      • Mightaswellbe

Oh I don't know about that. The last cup or two out of a thirty gallon pot at the end of a twelve hour watch is very stimulating stuff.

August 14, 2012 at 3:29 pm |
        • Mightaswellbe

Mind you it tastes like bilge water but it'll stiffen your resolve for sure.

August 14, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
  16. T Diemer

The Cajuns of Louisiana have been making drip coffee like ths for a couple of hundred years. They even have a special coffee pot to do it!

August 14, 2012 at 10:47 am |
    • Jennifer

Yeah camp coffee...we've been drinking coffee this way while camping for more years than I want to admit, its the best!

August 14, 2012 at 10:59 am |
  17. Jason E.

1. The pinch of salt is actually right on point, especially with a drip coffee maker. An old friend of mine that was in they Navy picked it up when he was on board... the tradition is that you take a little piece of the sea with every cup. The salt also enhances the flavor.

2. I've done the hand-pour thing, gravity brewing, french press, drip method... you name it. By far and away the best I've found is a product made by the folks that make the Aerobie, which is similar to a frisbee... it's called an AeroPress. It'll set you back about $20, but it is a quicker way to brew than the hand-pour method above (which DID originate in the Far East, despite the fact that one person 'has been doing it for years'... they were doing it for years LONG before your ancestors were born, bub)... and TASTIER too.

Try the AeroPress... I'm telling you, you won't be disappointed.

August 14, 2012 at 10:42 am |
    • Trolling Eagle Named Freedom

100% agreement with the Aeropress. I bought one a few months back and fell in love. There is nothing pretentious or snobby about it. It's just a great way to make a cup of coffee. And yes, I have time to do it EVERY morning before work despite these people claiming that this all takes 'too much time'. I own an Aeropress, a drip maker, and a Keurig, but the Aeropress is by far the best.

August 14, 2012 at 10:48 am |
      • The Silver Nail

Another vote for the AeroPress. Cheap, simple, easy, and makes a FANTASTIC cup of coffee. I got one as a Mother's Day present and use it every single day.

August 14, 2012 at 10:56 am |
    • Dennett

I don't see what the fuss is here. For decades MELITA has been producing cone filters and baskets.
      You are simply renaming a old process and touting it as something revolutionary. Get a life!

August 14, 2012 at 11:00 am |
    • Doug F.

Pour-over and Aeropress are the two methods I use, and both are good. For simplicity and value, pour-over is hard to beat, but the Aeropress is faster, somewhat better tasting, and very easy to clean up. The inner rubber plunger squeegees the chamber clean, and grounds and everything pop right out the end. This article makes the pour-over method needlessly complicated - just fill the cone, watch it drain, and repeat until your cup is full.

August 14, 2012 at 11:12 am |
      • Jason E.

@Dennet, think you meant to comment on another comment...

For everyone else, HELLS YEAH on the AeroPress!

August 14, 2012 at 4:03 pm |
  18. GasPredictor

This is pretty much the same way I've been making coffe for years, but I vary the procedure slightly.

Instead of a purpose-made pour-over cone, I use the plastic bin from a drip coffee maker. And instead of heating the water in a kettle and letting it cool slightly, I use the heater system from a drip coffee maker, which heats the water to slightly below boiling. And instead of pouring the water by hand, I let the drip coffee maker pour the water over the cofee automatically.

Yes, this sounds like I just use a drip coffee maker, but there's a huge difference. I use a _small_ two-cup coffee maker, and I only use enough coffee and enough water to make a single cup.

I'm quite sure there is no discernable difference between what I do and this ridiculous pour-over technique.

And while my "automatic pour-over" system is doing its thing, I can do something productive like read a batch of nonsense on CNN's Eatocracy.

August 14, 2012 at 10:27 am |
    • Joe M

Hey that sounds a lot like what I do but with a slight twist. I will actually do up to 8 cups at a time. You have to refine your wrist technique to flip the "on" switch just right.

August 14, 2012 at 10:53 am |
      • GasPredictor

I can't apply any finesse to my switch-flicking until _after_ a transfusion of coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
  19. Dave

I don't buy cheap coffee (and I buy from local organic stores) and I'm not some starbucks brainwashee but at the same time I have things to do in the morning so I use the classic drip coffee maker autoprogrammed for each morning. While a great cup of coffee is wonderful in the morning its a bit of snobbery to assume everyone has the time in the morning to pour-over or french press their morning joe on a daily basis.

August 14, 2012 at 10:27 am |
    • Aluna

French press really does not take much time. I am not a morning person, and I am one of the laziest people you will find (chronic illness has a way of doing that). French press takes me no more time to make than my old coffeemaker did, and tastes way better.

August 14, 2012 at 11:19 am |
  20. Brad

I chew the beans and then drink my urine

August 14, 2012 at 10:27 am |
    • Happytobehere

I can't stop laughing.

August 14, 2012 at 10:41 am |
    • Trolling Eagle Named Freedom

YEAHH!! Cuz this is 'Merica! WOO!!

August 14, 2012 at 10:44 am |
    • wuzup

Brad,

That is a perfect response to the frivolous, nonsensical and pompous butt-wipers who spend countless hours, laptop in hand, hanging out at coffee shops and java chat boards in search of the perfect cup of coffee.

I am quite sure at least one of the morons will attempt your recipe and report back of their findings. I hope gargling pee is the next big thing.

August 14, 2012 at 10:44 am |
      • Trolling Eagle Named Freedom

Whazzup, wuzup? Question: When has gargling pee NOT been the big thing? Clearly, you are not using the internet properly. A few Google searches and you will surely be enlightened.

August 14, 2012 at 10:46 am |
        • wuzup

Really? Gargling Brad's have you?

August 14, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
    • Adam Vant

Thank you for the laugh, Brad. Better than a cup of coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 10:47 am |
    • Joe

Best comment here! Bravo

August 14, 2012 at 10:55 am |
      • Trolling Eagle Named Freedom

Meh. I've had better.

August 14, 2012 at 10:57 am |
    • Quid Malmborg in Plano TX

My friends and I do that with fly agaric mushrooms. Then we put on our bear skins and chase the neighbors with swords. Fun times for all. ;-D

August 14, 2012 at 11:10 am |
      • Mightaswellbe

Love the FireSign Theater reference. Chasing the neighbors is cool too. Don't forget to pump your shoes.

August 14, 2012 at 3:33 pm |
        • Quid Malmborg in Plano TX

Pump my shoes? Gave 'em up years ago... ;-]

August 16, 2012 at 3:53 pm |
  21. Unfiltered Cowboy coffee, where you drink the grounds...

...shaken, not stirred.

August 14, 2012 at 10:22 am |
  22. MMR

Or you could skip all the fuss and have a nice cup of tea.

August 14, 2012 at 10:19 am |
    • Lizzy

Ditto! I gave up coffee months ago; hot tea, brewed in the coffee maker in the morning, with a little honey and soy milk... yum. I'm sure I wouldn't have the patience to do the pour over described above because I didn't even have the patience to read the whole process. Sounds a little silly to me.

August 14, 2012 at 10:28 am |
      • BH

ditto

August 14, 2012 at 11:15 am |
        • Fantod

Tea? I never get along with tea drinkers. Anal retentive do-goodin' sissies. The same annoying normal folks who eat right and get plenty of rest. Whatta y'doin' reading this article anyway, let alone chiming in?—when you don't understand the sweet despair, the hopeless, irresistible black widow love affair that is coffee addiction. (I'm just kidding...sort of)

August 14, 2012 at 4:18 pm |
  23. Roger libeater

Nice responses to this article. We either have coffee snob-douches, or negative Nancies. The method outlined in this story is really that bad?

August 14, 2012 at 10:17 am |
    • Is there no happy medium?

Is there no help for the widow's son?

August 14, 2012 at 10:45 am |
  24. David

My brother Bob would like this. He's a pretentious snot.

August 14, 2012 at 10:14 am |
    • anchorite

You read a whole article on how to prepare coffee in the lifestyle section of an online publication and HE'S pretentious?

August 14, 2012 at 10:19 am |
    • David

I didn't read the article, I just looked at the picture.

August 14, 2012 at 10:24 am |
      • Trollol

'I leave comments on articles that I didn't read because that's how one sounds extremely intelligent. GENIUS!' – David

August 14, 2012 at 10:33 am |
        • I read articles that I don't leave comments on...

... because that's how..., er, wait,...now I'm all confused!

August 14, 2012 at 10:42 am |
    • Lemon

I'm sure your brother Bob fondly talks about his simpleton brother David.

August 14, 2012 at 10:42 am |
  25. DaveMeeeeeee

This is all wrong. There are two vastly superior methods for making coffee.

There are stainless steel pour-over filters that don't require the paper filter which soaks up the natural oils in coffee beans. The natural oils is what gives the coffee a great mouth feel.

Additionally, you can just use a french press...which also preserves the oils and provides s great mouth feel.

Just because a new process seems elaborate and is time consuming doesn't mean it will produce a good cup of coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 10:11 am |
    • The Witty One

You spelled your name wrong Patrick...

August 14, 2012 at 10:19 am |
    • Joe

MMMM... I need a good "mouth feel"

August 14, 2012 at 10:57 am |
  26. Peter

I follow the steps above (heating the water to just below a boil, fresh grinding at the moment of preparation and c.a.r.e.f.u.l.l.y weting the grounds to release the flavor, but instead of a filter I use a french-press (also pre heated of course). Takes a bit of time, so it's a weekend and holiday drink, but well worth it.

With a portion of scalded milk – Yessss!

August 14, 2012 at 10:09 am |
  27. centurion

Further proof the P.T. Barnum was right, there's a sucker born every minute. What a pretentious load of crap. I've been doing this for years, with my Melita cone filter. Saying it came from the 'Far East' is complete and utter BS.

August 14, 2012 at 10:08 am |
    • anchorite

Yeah my dad drinks coffee this way because this is what we did before Mr. Coffees were invented, and he's a creature of habit so he never bought one. I still do it camping.

August 14, 2012 at 10:21 am |
    • Greg

Now, now, Centurion - Melitta comes from Germany, and that is east of me, at least....

Snark aside, I agree - I have done this for years (maybe not quite so anal retentive with pouring precision), and love it that way. It is easy, relatively clean, and does not take THAT long. To the lady who invented it – Melitta Bentz – cheers!

August 14, 2012 at 10:36 am |
  28. Scott

Geez... Its a cup of dirty hot water, no amount of extra time on fancy tricks is going to change that.

August 14, 2012 at 10:07 am |
  29. ronvan

YEP, let me run down to the store right now! OR, we can make some old ARMY coffee. Take off your sock, put in coffee grounds, ANY kind you want, tie sock in knot at top, throw in hot water! Now that's coffee!

August 14, 2012 at 10:04 am |
    • The Witty One

That is also disgusting, but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do! Thank you for your service!

August 14, 2012 at 10:15 am |
    • anchorite

Hey, I've had worse. I've had Nescafe.

August 14, 2012 at 10:22 am |
    • lance corporal

for MARINE coffee use a sock after a long force march

army guys are such pusses....... ;-)

August 14, 2012 at 10:23 am |
      • Mightaswellbe

I thought you marines stole a sailor's sock for that?? Something about the sea salt helps out when you've used the grouds for the third time.

This from a sailor that never met a Marine I wouldn't drink beer with. Good folks, a bit crazy but good folks. Semper Fi man.

August 14, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
  30. SB1790

(photos) All of that trouble just to put the coffee into a paper cup that ruins the flavor. Complete waste of time. The only way to experience the true taste is porcelain or glass. A cheap ceramic won't hold the temperature consistently either.

If you like cream, drink cream. Fat-free is a waste of milk and coffee. Might as well add more water because all it does is dilute the coffee. The fat from the cream gets infused with some of the acids in the coffee and creates a great taste. Which is the point of the cream in the first place.

Artificial sweeteners? Another great way to ruin the taste of your cup of coffee. Honey is not ghastly but doesn't pair well with a darker roast. A brown sugar for the darkest roasts with a white cane for the lighter. You can do honey with a light breakfast.

Citrus? WTF? Do you eat cheese puffs with your wine too? The citrus better be orange, sweet and paired with a bit of chocolate if you want it to blend well with your coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 9:59 am |
  31. Elborba

I use a combination of French Press and Pour Over:

Basically you make French Press – Grind / Soak, but then instead of plunging, I just pour it through a paper cone filter for a final extraction. You get the full extraction like with a French Press, but not the grit . . I'm drinking a cup of it at this very moment, and the beauty is in the consistency of the strength and extraction. Plus there is less chance of mess and splashing hot water. Plus, when you're done, you just drop the filter and grounds in the compost.

August 14, 2012 at 9:57 am |
  32. JohnRJohnson

Oh brother. Are people really THIS vacuous?

August 14, 2012 at 9:56 am |
    • Elborba

Enjoy your Folgers . .

August 14, 2012 at 9:57 am |
      • SB1790

With the way some of the coffee stands produce their product, you would be better of with Folgers. I think I might have to consider crack as a morning pickup if my only other choice was Sanka. I pretty much draw the line at freeze dried.

August 14, 2012 at 10:04 am |
      • johnharry

I enjoy it every morning as i pollute it with creamer and sugar, on my way to work. I only pull out La Pavoni on the weekends.

August 14, 2012 at 10:07 am |
  33. lt5

I have pretty much won all the arguments I have gotten into on the internet, so if I was you, I would back off.

August 14, 2012 at 9:55 am |
    • Ben from Winnipeg

Your mother must be proud. After all, all she has to do is call you from the basement to hear of your accomplishments.

August 14, 2012 at 10:16 am |
    • Oh Please

That...along with owning a Mazzer Major and GB5...quite the resume.

August 14, 2012 at 11:20 am |
  34. G01851

A pinch of salt will make an 'ok' cup of coffee into a good cup of coffee... try it sometime.

August 14, 2012 at 9:55 am |
  35. Tony

I don't even have the patience to read this whole article, let alone do the pour-over.

August 14, 2012 at 9:55 am |
  36. lovefords

Samantha, grocery stores in Japan have been selling single-serve, pour-over coffee kits for at least 30 years. I used to buy a few every trip I made when I worked for an airline. Even these mass-produced commercial-style kits make better coffee than any of that French press nonsense.

August 14, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  37. Howard

1 Hit the button. 2 Get in the shower. 3 Dry off, get robe. 4 Get coffee.
    I'm sorry, this over the top, one cup of joe, is not part of my morning.
    Did you tell how much this cup of coffee cost?

August 14, 2012 at 9:54 am |
  38. AJS

A scale? Kettle with a swan neck spout?? Does anyone really have this much time to prepare 1 cup of coffee? A silly trend, that is all.

August 14, 2012 at 9:52 am |
    • Elborba

It takes me 4 minutes once the water is hot . .

August 14, 2012 at 9:58 am |
  39. hey look I can read

Don better stick to his Folgers crystals if he can't tell the difference between roasted and ground. Idiots like him need to learn to keep their thoughts to themselves.

August 14, 2012 at 9:47 am |
    • lol

What were you trying to say here? So, you don't "grind" your roasted coffee? You just pour hot water over beans? Can't buy ground roasted coffee? Sorry, but by the time all coffee gets into your mouth it has been "ground" at some point unless you just chew the beans.

August 14, 2012 at 10:45 am |
  40. proveyourpoint

All you have to do is get a little Italian Espresso pot by Bialleti ($20) and you'll
    have better tasting coffee than any of these methods. Want it weaker, add a little water.

August 14, 2012 at 9:45 am |
  41. TH

This is nothing new ... people have been brewing coffee like this for decades in Europe. I remember visiting my family in Germany as a kid in the 70's and they made full pots using this method. Just proves the saying "everything old is new again".

August 14, 2012 at 9:44 am |
  42. anon

I like a good cup of coffee, but this is ridiculous.

August 14, 2012 at 9:44 am |
  43. Capt Dave

Do I pour the water in a clockwise or counter clockwise direction and is there a specific chant to be used when creating the "brew"?

August 14, 2012 at 9:36 am |
    • DJ

in the end its the type of machinery used which will produce the quality of the output.

August 14, 2012 at 9:40 am |
    • Ed G.

It depends iwhether you're in the northern or southern hemisphere!

August 14, 2012 at 11:16 am |
  44. Klo

I dont like it. Espresso, moka opt or even a press is much better. If you like watered down coffee (I don't) like that comes from a drip or pour-over, try adding a little water to an espresso or moka coffee.. 100% better. Or even better, just have a 4x espresso or a normal moka pot coffee no extra water.... 100000% better....

August 14, 2012 at 9:35 am |
  45. Sh'aiv Yerboosh

Coffee is the drink of the infidel. It is the creation of the great Satan who dominates western culture.

August 14, 2012 at 9:30 am |
    • LoPing

Boo!

August 14, 2012 at 9:40 am |
    • proveyourpoint

Funny, I feel that way about your religion. And it's a good thing I had my coffee this morning or I would let you know how I really feel.

August 14, 2012 at 9:42 am |
      • James

AMEN BROTHER !!

August 14, 2012 at 9:57 am |
    • Vince Redlinger

you're a narrow minded idiot. Get a life!

August 14, 2012 at 9:45 am |
      • SOMEBODY needs to get a life..

...or at least a humor transplant who can't recognize the parody in the name.

August 14, 2012 at 9:53 am |
      • Sheik Yerbouti

You can't say that about my jihadi brother!

You take that back!

August 14, 2012 at 9:54 am |
        • Ali Mahak-biel

YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!!!!!!

August 14, 2012 at 10:00 am |
        • Ed G.

A nice Zappa reference in the morning is better than any cup of coffee. Thanks.

August 14, 2012 at 10:45 am |
        • Sh'aiv Yerboosh

Ahh, my friend Yerbouti... how I long for the days when you and I hung out with Bobby Brown chasing after those baby snakes.

August 14, 2012 at 11:57 am |
    • Lindsey

His name is Shave Your Bush, you've been trolled.

August 14, 2012 at 10:15 am |
      • Some people...

...need it all spelled out for them.

August 14, 2012 at 10:28 am |
      • Sh'aiv Yerboosh

You are smart, Lindsey... Of course, in my country, we would stone you for the crime of having a labia.

August 14, 2012 at 11:56 am |
        • Around my tent...

...we filter our coffee THROUGH a bush.

Those were indeed the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end...

August 14, 2012 at 12:08 pm |
        • Lindsey

You DO realize, don't you, Yerboosh, that YOU started out with labia which then BECAME testes under the influence of testosterone?

August 14, 2012 at 3:44 pm |
        • Sh'aiv Yerboosh

Oh Lindsey, how you flirt so shamelessly with me. I will take you out on my camel and then later we will make sweet love. Then I will turn the tables on your Zionist government by waterboarding you.

August 14, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
        • Lindsey

Begin pouring again very slowly, allowing the water level reach halfway up the... (use your, er, yer, imagination, you saucy Shia) for optimal "extraction". Continue pouring in a circular motion, working your way out,... This should last 40 to 45 seconds.

Oh, Yerboosh, I'm yours, I'm YOURS!

"Uh, I'll have what she had."

I

August 15, 2012 at 9:56 am |
    • gbeeson

I love the drink of the infidel and I embrace our Satan induced western culture.

August 14, 2012 at 10:24 am |
      • Then drink yor coffee in HELL, blasphemer...

...where it'll be all Eight O'Clock instant!

August 14, 2012 at 10:31 am |
    • Mightaswellbe

Hmmm, I seem to remember that Coffee came from some Middle Eastern country. Sheppards noticed their goats got a bit extra frisky after eating the beans from the coffee bush. So they tried it themselfs, the rest is history.

August 14, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
      • Sh'aiv Yerboosh

By the hairy sack of Allah, you do not defile my goat with your harmful words!!!

August 14, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
        • Lindsey

Oh, Yerboosh, defile me, DEFILE ME, I'm bio-degradeable!

August 15, 2012 at 10:13 am |
  46. Michael Waldon

A great video on the 'how to' of pour-over coffee can be found at Chesapeake Bay Roasting Company.

August 14, 2012 at 9:29 am |
  47. Don in Seattle

All kidding aside (an there are some funny parodies here) the fact that they would seriously consider using stale, two week-old, already-ground coffee gives away the fact that whoever wrote this silly article should stick to instant freeze dried since they won't know the difference. A quality roasted bean that has been ground seconds before the water hits it in the filter cone makes all the other "requirements" meaningless in terms of what a real person can actually taste. Two week old coffee? With what? A moldy bagel?

August 14, 2012 at 9:27 am |
    • B-more Joe

Read the article again. It says "roasted" within two weeks, not "ground".

August 14, 2012 at 9:39 am |
    • Domo

Are you really that bad at reading comprehension?? The article said to use beans that had been roasted in the last 2 weeks, not ground.

August 14, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • Pat

They freshly grind beans that have roasted within the last two weeks.

August 14, 2012 at 9:45 am |
    • Stick to freeze-dried articles, Don, this one is beyond you.

And grind your beans first, and THEN roast them seconds before you pour Guatemalean rainwater over a filter made from the opinion section of the New York Times, no more than three hours old.

August 14, 2012 at 9:59 am |
      • Ali Mahak-biel

That's only on weekdays . .

On weekends it's the Book Review

August 14, 2012 at 10:01 am |
    • NB

Where does it say 2-week old pre-ground coffee? The article says to use coffee within two weeks of roasting, not within two weeks of grinding. Many good coffee shops sell beans that are roasted on premises.

August 14, 2012 at 10:53 am |
    • But, I'm not a real person, Don

I'm just a pigment of your imagination.

August 14, 2012 at 11:53 am |
  48. Mike Brown

For those of you with heartburn problems or hate coffee's bitter flavor, COLD DRIP BREWED coffee is a fantastic alternative. It is much less harsh and removes a lot of acidity and bitterness.

August 14, 2012 at 9:26 am |
    • Landy

Good coffee done right is not bitter. Bad coffee (from harvesting unripe fruit, to too dark a roast, or an improper roast) is bitter. If it's bitter to you, you might want to actually try the method described in the article, with a quality coffee. It will be sweet and fragrant and wonderful.

August 14, 2012 at 10:49 am |
  49. Chris

Chemex is the way to go. I haven't went back to auto drip since I got one. The key is the bloom. If you get a good Mexican or Central American bean and brew it in the Chemex you get great floral notes. This article isn't for the everyday coffee drinker. It's for the coffee fan that thinks Starbucks is the best and doesn't know any better.Granted breaking out a scale is pretty ridiculous. Grind beans, boil water, wait about 1 minute for water to cool, cover beans with water, let sit for 1 minute and then pour the rest of the water in. Perfect cup of coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 9:26 am |
  50. Sheesh

I'll stick with my french press for now–imo, it's the most idiot-proof way to make coffee, and you can even make cold-brewed iced coffee in it as well.

August 14, 2012 at 9:25 am |