August 13th, 2012

Samantha Reichman is an intern on CNN Early Start and Starting Point. She is a senior at The College of William and Mary, a coffee fiend and a trained barista. She blogs at Alimentación. All pictures taken at Blue Bottle Coffee in Manhattan.

As local coffee culture seems to be approaching critical mass, the need for a superior, distinctive product is becoming even more pressing.

Caffeine aficionados are also experiencing a phase of experimentation. Myriad styles of coffee preparation and presentation combined with selective sourcing allow for unprecedented levels of personal flair. But can individuality truly be achieved at an espresso bar?

One ceremony in particular comes to mind: "pour-over" coffee, also known as "hand pour coffee," is a brewing style used to produce a single cup at a time. This method was not concocted behind the bar of any Stumptown or Blue Bottle location; rather it migrated here from the Far East, Japan to be exact.

It was only adopted by coffee epicures and American roasting companies in the past decade, and the time constraints of many customers have prevented the practice from taking off, especially in grab-and-go-style businesses. The practice gained exponentially more buzz last year when the New York Times examined the origin of the pour-over.

In all, the process takes three to four minutes to complete, and the wait is worth it. The benefits of pour-over compared to other brewing tactics lie in the timing and control in the wrist. Infusing the ground coffee for the correct length of time with a controlled hand will produce a fuller, fruity taste, often accented with floral notes.

Take a minute (or two...or three...) and steep in this beginner's tutorial on brewing a single cup of glorious coffee via the pour-over method.

Supplies you'll need:

– Fresh coffee (roasted under two weeks week prior to brewing)
– Coffee grinder
– Single-cup drip coffee cone (ceramic or glass)
– Paper filter to fit
– Kettle with a swan-necked spout (for precision pouring)
– Gram scale (extremely helpful when beginning)
– Coffee cup

Step 1
Select your beans. Single-origin beans, rather than a blend, are preferred with this process because they offer a subtle range of flavors that are region specific. Because it is brewed to order in shops, you can become familiar with the product of various countries by simply ordering a cup from, say a Nicaraguan town, or sample them yourself by purchasing small quantities of beans at a time.

Step 2
Heat water in the kettle and grind coffee to medium-fine ground: finer than auto drip but coarser than what would be used to draw a shot of espresso. A good gauge would be to measure 1.5-2 grams of coffee for every fluid ounce you intend to drink. In this example, we'll consider a 16 ounce cup that will require approximately 30-32 grams of coffee.

Step 3
Fold the edge of the filter or trim away the excess and place in your dripper. Position the dripper on top of the cup.

Step 4
Use kettle to pre-wet the filter with water between 195°F and 205°F; the kettle will reach this temperature after 35-40 seconds after it has been removed from boiling heat. This will prevent a paper taste as well as preheat the cup. Dump water from cup.

Step 5
Place the whole contraption atop a gram scale and tare (zero-out) the scale, so that it can properly measure the amount of water.

Step 6
Pour just enough water over the grounds to cover evenly. Let this sit for 30 to 50 seconds, or until the "bloom" has settled. This is called "pre-infusing" and it allows carbon dioxide to naturally escape from the coffee.

Step 7
This is where the precision and patience come into play. Begin pouring again very slowly, allowing the water level reach halfway up the cone, for optimal "extraction". Continue pouring in a circular motion, working your way out, avoiding pouring directly onto the filter. This should last 40 to 45 seconds.

Pause long enough in order to let the grounds settle, then begin pouring again until the scale has reached about 515 grams in total (Note: grams of water also differs based on grams of coffee).

Step 8
Wait until the stream slows to a drip, remove the filter, dump the grounds and enjoy your well-deserved, home brewed cup of coffee.

Step 9 (Optional)
Complement with a light citrus dessert to further enhance the flavors.

Keep in mind that perfecting the pour-over process is personal. Yes, a particular portion of water will enrich the flavor of the coffee in a specific way, but each individual also maintains a unique palate.

Practice your steady, even pouring technique at intervals that you prefer and you will be just fine, says this barista.

Previously - Want great coffee for less? Take matters into your own hands

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. bob

This article belongs in a magazine for people who make large annual salaries and have the time or servants to do this process. I'm sure its delicious, but I find this elitest, and self indulgent for a news channel such as CNN.

August 14, 2012 at 9:22 am |
    • pgh

Yeah, occasionally CNN puts out these useless classist articles for the One Percenters who live like they're in Downton Abbey. Wait till the SHTF and these pantywaists can't figure out how to make coffee on a camp stove!

August 14, 2012 at 9:26 am |
      • Zoop

This is how I make coffee every day, if I'm in my kitchen or out camping. On the rare occasion I forget my filter, I'll throw some gounds into some just off boil water and let the grounds settle out before drinking, butit just isn't the same.

August 17, 2012 at 9:49 am |
    • Violet Weed

I totally agree! If you need to read a story on how to make coffee, your parents didn't raise you right. The very idea that anyone would put their NAME on this story is also ridiculous. Don't you have any SHAME, girl? Couldn't find something REAL to write about? Oh. Yeah. CNN. Sorry, I forgot.

August 14, 2012 at 9:26 am |
    • David L.

This comment is a classic example of "I personally don't have an interest in the topic at hand, so I'm going to put down the people who are interested to make myself feel better."

I thoroughly enjoyed this article, because I enjoy good coffee, and I like learning how to do things. I can guarantee I'm not a 1 percenter, I'm not a rich snob, I just like good coffee. Just because you're bitter because of your lot in life, doesn't mean you need to put others down.

August 14, 2012 at 10:03 am |
      • DaveN

August 14, 2012 at 10:15 am |
      • Trollol

+2.

August 14, 2012 at 10:30 am |
      • Yuniverse

Well, put.

August 14, 2012 at 1:23 pm |
      • Peter

August 15, 2012 at 1:41 am |
    • EvansRC

Do a lot of work in 3rd world countries. It's how most people in the rest of the world drink coffee. I find your narrow, cynical view elitist.

August 14, 2012 at 10:04 am |
  2. dsch26

I'll stick with my french press. I can boil the water, then pour and let it brew while finishing getting ready. Plus, it seems to come ut better for me.

August 14, 2012 at 9:20 am |
  3. EvansRC

Samantha, saw in your entry that you are an intern and a college student. What an awesome way to cap your highly sought after summer experience at such a prestigious organization within the industry! Great writing and way to go! Best of luck to you in school and after graduation.

August 14, 2012 at 9:19 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

We got lucky nabbing her for this piece before she left!

August 14, 2012 at 11:54 pm |
  4. Arron

I use instant coffee. It's the best.

August 14, 2012 at 9:15 am |
    • chris saul

Grams? Liters? Hello what is wrong with that picture

August 14, 2012 at 9:24 am |
  5. Skeptimist

I saw students doing this in their dorm rooms in the late 1950s because it was quicker, more convenient and cheaper than using the percolators that were prevalent at the time. Most agreed it tasted better. At the time, I preferred Coke for breakfast – that vintage Coca-Cola in a 6oz glass bottle with with unmatched taste and caffeine hit. (Rumor was it contained cocaine.)

August 14, 2012 at 9:15 am |
    • DAT67

Actually, it was a 7 oz. bottle.

August 14, 2012 at 11:21 pm |
  6. Trollol

I'm just going to assume that all of you haters out there are not interested in foreplay either. You should know that if you take some extra time, you can have something amazing going on. Treat your coffee like you (should) treat your woman. Take some extra time, do it right, and pour a little sugar on her for flavoring when applicable.

August 14, 2012 at 9:14 am |
    • Quick and easy

Slapping it around a bit brings out the full flavor.

August 14, 2012 at 9:20 am |
  7. Squishy

O.M.F.G. What sort of pretentious a-holes are these? Its "in the wrist" ?? Its *coffee, not rocket science! Morons.

August 14, 2012 at 9:12 am |
    • Tom

August 14, 2012 at 9:47 am |
    • David L.

What kind of pretentious a-holes put down others because they don't "approve" of the interests of others. If you don't care about the topic at hand, go elsewhere. Putting others down to make yourself feel better just comes across as childish.

August 14, 2012 at 10:07 am |
    • Yuniverse

@squishy hmmm calling people who take different interest than you moron is very ... moronic, to say the least.

August 14, 2012 at 1:27 pm |
  8. pgh

Yeah, right! I barely have time to brush my teeth and dress before the dash to the bus stop. And if by some miracle I ever have more time, it'll get devoted to a lot more important things than improving the aesthetics of my morning joe..

August 14, 2012 at 9:11 am |
  9. Mark Pruett

Sounds like another Japanese way of doing something mundane in an ornately byzantine fashion to supposedly make it better.

To me, it sounds about as silly as shaking a cocktail in a different motion; coffee is coffee, and if you get the temperature and infusion time right, 99.99% of people won't be able to tell whether it was infused in an old hi-c can or in a platinum and pyrex French Press.

August 14, 2012 at 9:07 am |
    • Yuniverse

actually, sir, they DO taste all different. I myself prefer Bialetti moka express, however.

August 14, 2012 at 1:28 pm |
  10. melissa

this is how coffee is made in Brasil... sugar is boiled with the water and poured over the grounded beans, amazing!! I have never been able to drink black coffee until I had it this way!

August 14, 2012 at 8:59 am |
    • Quick and easy

Boiling the sugar with the brew... this is also why REAL sweet tea is better than Yankee sweet tea.

August 14, 2012 at 9:22 am |
      • Jake

Like!

August 15, 2012 at 12:30 pm |
    • Mike in NJ

Sorry to burst your bubble, Melissa, but if there's sugar in the boiled water, it's not black – it's got sugar in it. (Like when you use a moka pot [Italian stovetop espresso], but put sugar in the bottom section, like my mother often does – it's not black espresso, it has sugar.

August 14, 2012 at 9:24 am |
      • Yuniverse

That's why she said she can't drink black coffee anymore.

August 14, 2012 at 1:30 pm |
      • John

im pretty sure she meant black, as in without milk...

August 14, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
  11. cbtx67

The only coffee invention I need is the easy to use DIY coffee IV. Easily hooked up in your car, library or dining room. Refresh on the patio without all those breakable cups and having to get up to refill. Just hook up and enjoy, also available in black silver and red. Oh and if you act now, you can get another complete set for your loved ones(just pay separate shipping and handling). What better way to say "I love you" than an intravenous caffine apparatus. Call now!

August 14, 2012 at 8:55 am |
  12. Aunt Fritzi

Your "pour-over" technique is more like a "comb-over". Genuine coffee aficionados know that the only way to brew a true cuppa joe is to hand-roast each bean over an unscented candle for perfect consistency, grind the beans, and then double-sieve the grounds to eliminate all pieces larger than 3 mm and smaller than 1.2 mm. You will need 18 grams of these consistently-sized grounds. Spread the grounds evenly on a filter that has been pre-moistened with mineral water. Warm this preparation on a pastry pan in an oven pre-heated to 250 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes, misting every 5 minutes with distilled water.

Remove the filter, shake out and dispose of the grounds, and rinse briefly in chilled springwater. You have now conditioned your filter. Hand-roast another batch of beans, grind and double-sieve to a consistent particle size of 3-4 mm.

Now comes the tricky part. To ensure consistent brewing temperature, the process must be completed inside a Swedish sauna heated to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the filter in a Corning laboratory funnel, with its glass stopcock in the closed position. Arrange the funnel so it is perfectly centered above your coffee mug, with its stem 1-2 mm above the bottom of the mug. Slowly add the coffee grounds into the filter. Add 100cc of water that was heated to 99 degrees C. Allow to steep for 285 seconds, then quickly turn the stopcock to half-open, closing it after 18 seconds. Pour the remaining water, heated to 97 degrees C, into the filter, and open the stopcock after 20 seconds. Enjoy your coffee while still in the sauna.

August 14, 2012 at 8:51 am |
    • snowdogg

Wow... you used a LOT of shortcuts in your perfect coffee process... LOL!

August 14, 2012 at 8:57 am |
    • Leland

THAT is outstanding!

August 14, 2012 at 9:00 am |
    • Darth Cheney

Cute, and I get it, but the fact is using a Melitta has been around for decades and it's not very hard. The only thing that requires more work than a drip maker is to pour the hot water over the filter manually, let it "bloom" for about 15s, then pour the rest of the water in. About 20s of marginal work. If it took you 10 minutes to write your masterpiece, that's 30 days worth of better coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 9:10 am |
    • Mattdaddy

That's exactly how my coffee is made each morning. The effort is worth it. I generally hire an unemployed neighbor to make it for me..

August 14, 2012 at 9:17 am |
    • Quick and easy

LOL. Perfect.

August 14, 2012 at 9:18 am |
    • Quick and easy

Melitta Mill-n-Brew makes a superior pot of coffee if you can find one anymore.

August 14, 2012 at 9:30 am |
    • ROFL

Can do that! Just got to build in the sauna and I will be ready to go. Got candles, check and the rest, check. Now off to Home Depot to get the sauna materials. Maybe pick up some new fresh candles in case the others have picked up any dust so not want to ruin the purification process. Thank you so much. (Very funny)

August 14, 2012 at 9:38 am |
    • dilip joshi

If you align the coffee pot with the earth's magnetic field, it brings out thebest flavor by getting rid of the negatively charged flavor destructer molecules.

August 14, 2012 at 9:43 am |
    • LeRoy Jones

" ...... stopcock ...." LOL.

August 14, 2012 at 1:15 pm |
  13. CrackerBox

Who would've thought, hot water poured over fresh coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 8:51 am |
    • child of midian

Yeah, this isn't the Wheel people.

August 14, 2012 at 9:00 am |
      • Trollol

Tastes better than the wheel though.

August 14, 2012 at 9:09 am |
  14. DaveN

Tried many ways to make coffee over the years, and I do prefer it strong... standard drip machines (fall-back), pour-over in the Tico/campesino manner (interesting), those horrible stovetop 'espresso' cookers (ugh!), French press (my standard for many years), cold steep overnight (smooth, but flavor is missing something critical for me), AeroPress (nice, clean and simple, but flavor still isn't quite right to me)... Of these, I think French press is the winner for me, by a long shot, once I learned the right mix of coffee/water/temp/time/etc. for my taste...

I can't stand paying up to $5/cup, though a buck for a nice espresso can be nice on occasion...

Recently I was considering trying to roast my own, sourcing from Sweet Maria's, but I never got my gumption up to just do it... Maybe one day!

Then a number of months ago my wife got one of those Nespresso machines, much to my shock/horror/disgust, but having tried it now I have to say that it makes a really fast/simple cup of consistently delicious espresso (IF I control the amount of water!)... I hate the idea of being beholden to Nestle for the pods (can't wait until their patents expire so others can make them!), but I've found the ones I like... and since one of their 'boutiques' is nearby it is easy to drop off the used pods for recycle/composting, and I don't pay tax or shipping... Not for everyone, but for me it is an almost ideal solution re time/cost/taste!!

August 14, 2012 at 8:45 am |
    • French Press Household

Yeah the French press is the way to go. I have one of those electric water pots that sits on a base so pot is removable. Gets a boil on fast. Actually once you know your measurements it is a very easy process. Coffee is so much better than a regular maker.

August 14, 2012 at 9:45 am |
    • Yuniverse

I agree with most of your points, but if you do it right, Bialetti Moka Express (stovetop) makes much better coffee than a frenchpress. You have to measure the coffee right and control the heat and time. It's even better than coffees made at cafes with 3k espresso machines.

August 14, 2012 at 1:36 pm |
  15. Mary

Sounds a lot like french drip to me. French drip has been around in Louisiana for at least a couple hundred years.

August 14, 2012 at 8:41 am |
  16. Permutation

"...a fuller, fruity taste, often accented with floral notes"

Someone is writing in the wrong column.

August 14, 2012 at 8:41 am |
  17. Jeremy

When I was young in the 60s and 70s, my father always insisted on making the coffee at holiday get-togethers. He got out his Melita drip, hand pour coffee pot and filters (he raved about Melita and would use nothing else) and would take the time to make small pot after small pot this way. I have no idea what happened to those white porcelain coffee makers, but they even looked a lot like the pictures above. Anyone else remember these?

August 14, 2012 at 8:38 am |
    • Len

Yes, I still use the Melita method every day. The cones are plastic, but still function the same way. I've used this method for at least 20 years and I have to laugh at the big production that the writer of this article makes out of pouring hot water over 2 tablespoons of freshly ground coffee. It works great, but it's a whole lot simpler than the coffee snobs make it out to be.

August 14, 2012 at 8:56 am |
    • Bill Howland

The Mellita filter introduced me to GOOD coffee! My then wife would make it right into my thermos bottle. It was "high cotton" from there on! Must admit we now grind and run it through the trusty Bunn for a good brew. Life is too short at 72 to wait!

August 14, 2012 at 9:00 am |
  18. David

I used this method for years and decided that the secret was in having the water contact the coffee for a longer period than the standard drip method. So, I switched to a French press that allows the water and beans contact for even longer. It's the method I use now. For my friends who don't like the oils that remain using the French press, I let the coffee sit in the French press for 4 to 8 minutes then don't press the top but slowly pour the coffee and grounds into a cone but prefer to use a gold filter to the paper filter. I prefer the French press myself. I also prefer buying my coffee directly from Beanstock in Eastham, Mass. They know how to roast coffee.

August 14, 2012 at 8:32 am |
  19. SMH

Coffee can be a hobby just like anything else. So many of you people are complaining about the fact that this takes a bit more time or overly complicates the process, but if it makes the person who is doing it happy, then who cares? I'm constantly seeking new things to try in my life and coffee happens to be something that intrigues me. Just like anything else, there is a science to it and there's huge difference between the product you get from using a Mr. Coffee drip maker and what you get from using something else. If you don't want to get the extra time and live off Folgers the rest of your life, then so be it. Personally, I'm going to try as many new methods as possible so I can experience all that coffee has to offer. I'm personally an Aeropress fan (and I see a few of you out there are as well) but this is definitely a method that I'd like to try.

August 14, 2012 at 8:26 am |
    • Skeptimist

Have you tried the Steven Wright recipe? You put instant coffee in a microwave and travel through time. That way you can sleep late but get to work before you left. If you get to the point where you remember the future, you can quit your job and hit the casino. Only drawback is all your dreams will be about Einstein, which is not good for your libido.

August 14, 2012 at 9:36 am |
      • SMH

I bought some instant water one time but I didn't know what to add to it. – Steven Wright

August 14, 2012 at 10:31 am |
  20. Bob Boise

Same effect: with a coffee maker. take a 22 oz of water. Use a measure of coffee (2 heaping T) pack it into the filter, leaving a depression in the grounds, pushing them up the side of the filter. Fill coffee maker with 1/3 of water. Turn on coffee maker. When dripping has stopped add the next third wait until dripping stops then add last 1/3. That will give you 16 oz of great coffee..strong with flavor, not the wash water perked stuff they charge you $2.00/cup at diners.

August 14, 2012 at 8:25 am |
  21. radi0j0hn

Been using a simple 1-cup conde filter (on and off) since 1968. Does this make me a hipster?

August 14, 2012 at 8:21 am |
    • jcims

No, but talking about it does. :P

August 14, 2012 at 8:33 am |
    • Trollol

Depends. Have you taken pictures of yourself doing this that were later posted on Instagram?

August 14, 2012 at 8:45 am |
  22. Stefan

i read this article while drinking coffee made very inprecisely in a large party kettle – yesterday – and reheated in the microwave...but i do love a really well made cup of coffee too

August 14, 2012 at 8:19 am |
    • cbtx67

That is SOOO me. I also remember my mom making "hobo" coffee. Just a saucepan, coffee and water thrown together in a pot and then a filter over the cup. Awww memories.

August 14, 2012 at 8:58 am |
  23. Chewie's Method

Put as many coffee beans in your mouth as you can. Chew. Add water as hot as possible. Gargle. Suck coffee down throat trying to reserve the grounds. Spit out grounds. Rinse mouth. Repeat.

August 14, 2012 at 8:18 am |
    • Allison

Hey! That's funny!

August 14, 2012 at 8:37 am |
    • Trollol

Post a video of yourself doing this on Youtube. I bet it will get a lot of hits.

August 14, 2012 at 8:50 am |
    • Antonio

That is fresh!

August 14, 2012 at 11:32 am |
  24. Grizzlyironbear

While I love a great cup of coffee, most days this is just too much time. However, I would love to try it now and then. I mean, if there is a way to enhance something that I already enjoy, why not try it? And for those that quote, "too much time on their hands", ........REALLY? You are on a computer commenting upon the usage of time management? Does it really matter if someone spends their time OFFLINE, making something that they enjoy in real life? In this world, things and life travels by so fast. It's vital to stop and smell the roses from time to time...to ENJOY life. And yes, there is coffee....auto drip (blech) and there is the fine cuisines of coffee preparation. I prefer the fine dining rather than a ton of regular drip "coffee".

August 14, 2012 at 8:08 am |
  25. Bob B

I drink it every day at my house and don't waste my time buying it on the go.

August 14, 2012 at 8:03 am |
  26. NOTRE DAME RULES

The BEST coffee in the world is what we call IRISH STYLE. Fill cup with coffee, set cup on the table, pick up the whiskey bottle and drink it's magical fluids heavily all day.

August 14, 2012 at 8:02 am |
  27. DDSilks

I got a coffee press as a gift and the coffe it makes is awesome! I buy good coffee (I like Peet's the best) and use the press. It's the best!

August 14, 2012 at 8:02 am |
  28. J Stone

Wonderful way to make coffee. Though pricey a similar automatic method is used by Jura Cappresso's Automatic Coffee makers.

August 14, 2012 at 7:54 am |
  29. mark80

Blue Bottle makes delicious coffee. Period. The ice coffee needs nothing..just plain and simple. Worth the line every time!

August 14, 2012 at 7:52 am |
  30. Allison

I only use the cold toddy method which is a wonderfully smooth, yet strong coffee. It originated out of South America where coffee is brewed overnight in ice water, then strained into a carafe through a 1/2 inch cotton filter, leaving an elixir to mix with water. The best ever. I switched to this method 15 years ago. No bitterness at all. Available on Amazon

August 14, 2012 at 7:45 am |
  31. steve

to all the fools who spend vast amounts of money on their daily fix, i call all of you stupid!
    get a cup of coffee and get on with the day!
    i'm heading to Starbucks now to pay $5 bucks for my fix!

August 14, 2012 at 7:42 am |
    • deanlow39

It seems as though you are the fool!

August 14, 2012 at 7:58 am |
    • Quick and easy

2 1/2 pounds of high-quality roast for what you spend on three cups. Who's the fool, Fool?

August 14, 2012 at 9:26 am |
    • Dannie

I have never been to *(S)ucks! But I have had the coffee because I didn't have to pay for it from my pocket. Not much to it.

I also limit my visits to Italian Restaurants (I my own pasta dishes).

Point is, why buy it out when you can make it so much better at home.

August 14, 2012 at 11:47 am |
  32. John

The last time I had that was during a power outage.

August 14, 2012 at 7:36 am |
  33. CrackerBox

Uh, so you pour hot water over fresh coffee? Who would've thunk?

August 14, 2012 at 7:27 am |
    • Please Grow Up

I'm stunned by the complex sophistication of this method. Let me a get a pencil and paper so I don't forget it.

August 14, 2012 at 7:48 am |
  34. BeerBrewerDan

The coffee at the Blue Bottle behind the Salt House in SF is stellar. Plain and simple. It's not the only way to make coffee, hell I have my Mr. Coffee rolling right now, but it sure is nice.

August 14, 2012 at 7:18 am |
  35. MarkinFL

Response summary:
    Some people love their coffee and will go to great lengths to brew the perfect cup.
    Some people drink coffee as a pick-me-up and as long as it does not taste like dung, their fine with it.
    These two groups rarely understand each other.

Personally, I like a really good cup of coffee but will not make the effort or pay the price. I understand both sides.

August 14, 2012 at 7:16 am |
    • dnfromge

I understand both sides as well. For me, as long as the coffee isn't bitter, I don't really care how it's brewed. I'm good with McDonald's coffee. Tea, on the other hand, is an entirely different story – I'm very picky when it comes to tea!!

August 14, 2012 at 9:08 am |
  36. Dragun

That is just WAY too much work for a cup of joe im sorry. For one, i have had coffee all over the world, two i have had it done this way and yes it is a great cup of coffee, but three and most importantly the amount of time needed per cup is just absurd and this will cause any place that serves coffee this way to overcharge out the wazoo. Its bad enough i have to pay almost 6 dollars (on the cheap) to get a decent coffee now.

August 14, 2012 at 7:12 am |
    • fantastic_mr_fox

I agree...this is waaaaay too much work for a cup of coffee. Sounds like it is for people who can taste oatmeal and caramel and other bizarre flavors in a cup of coffee. Too snooty for me.

greginso is right, this is for people with way too much time on their hands!

August 14, 2012 at 7:23 am |
      • Snooty

Interesting. So because you can't relate or understand one's passion about coffee they become snooty or smug? I'm going to start calling NASCAR fans smug because I sure as h3ll don't understand them or their passion.

August 14, 2012 at 7:50 am |
        • Hehehe

I loooovvvee a good cup of coffee while watching Nascar. So what does that make me??

August 14, 2012 at 9:43 am |
  37. Sardukar

You can make a good coffee from a good coffee..

August 14, 2012 at 6:49 am |
  38. Mike N.

The late Andy Rooney was as persnickety about his coffee as he was about most other things in his life. He found the preferred way to brew coffee was the Chemex system – water just below boiling, cone paper filter, ample amount of coffee poured slowly over the grounds. So well worth the wait and the effort.

August 14, 2012 at 6:46 am |
  39. Exists in Reality

white people problems

August 14, 2012 at 6:30 am |
    • MsMello

I laughed so hard at that I almost spewed my mr. coffee brewed coffee. Thank you.

August 14, 2012 at 6:40 am |
    • David

I think we do!!

August 14, 2012 at 7:06 am |
    • WhiteGuy

I don't recall anyone claiming there was a problem with other methods of brewing coffee. I think this is simply highlighting one method of brewing coffee that afficianados enjoy. What's wrong with that? I know black people who love a fine cup of coffee or a nice glass of wine. Do they have "white people problems" too?

August 14, 2012 at 7:51 am |
    • Nabob

Great comment – I almost spewed my french press coffee all over ;) Yes, white guy here!

August 14, 2012 at 7:55 am |
    • Quick and easy

Chickory for you, eh? Maybe an infrequent cup of Nescafe de-caf if you're living high-on-the-hog. I am so jealous.

August 14, 2012 at 9:28 am |
  40. Surafel Admassu

Try ETHIOPIAN COFFEE ceremony: Ethiopian is the Origin of coffee and they have the best power over coffee ceremony better than anybody. Here is the the explanation how to make ethiopian coffe:
    Ethiopian coffee ceremony is one of the most enjoyable event you can attend at an Ethiopian Restaurant. The coffee is taken through its full life cycle of preparation in front of you in a ceremonial manner. Coffee is called 'Bunna' (boo-na) by the Ethiopians.
    The ceremony starts with the woman, first bringing out the washed coffee beans and roasting them in a coffee roasting pan on small open fire/coal furnace. The pan is similar to an old fashioned popcorn roasting pan and it has a very long handle to keep the hand away from the heat. At this time most of your senses are being involved in the ceremony, the woman will be shaking the roasting pan back and forth so the beans won't burn (this sounds like shaking coins in a tin can), the coffee beans start to pop (sounds like popcorn) and the most memorable is the preparer takes the roasted coffee and walks it around the room so the smell of freshly roasted coffee fills the air ...

The roasted coffee is then put in a small household tool called 'Mukecha' (moo-ke-ch-a) for the grinding. Most restaurants at this time incorporate modern coffee grinders into the process, this is to save time and it does not take much from the ceremony. For those interested mukecha is a heavy wooden bowl where the coffee beans are put and another tool called 'zenezena' which is a wooden/metal stick used to crush the beans in a rhythmic up & down manner (pistil and mortar).

The crushed fresh roasted coffee powder then is put in a traditional pot made out of clay called 'jebena' (J-be-na) with water and boiled in the small open fire/coal furnace. Again the boiling coffee aroma fills the room, once boiled the coffee is served in small cups called 'cini' (si-ni) which are very small chinese cups.

As you sip your first cup of coffee, you've gone through the full process of watching seeing the coffee beans being washed, roasted, grinded, boiled & now the culmination you're drinking them. By now the process is finished at most restaurants, but traditionally Ethiopians stick around to get at least a second serving of coffee and sometimes a third.

The second and third serving are important enough that each serving has a name, first serving is called "Abol"; second serving is "Huletegna"(second) and third serving is "Bereka". The coffee is not grinded for the second and third serving, a portion of coffee powder is left on purpose for these two ceremonies.
    Source: http://www.ethiopianrestaurant.com/ethiopian_coffee.html

August 14, 2012 at 6:29 am |
    • smr

what a lovely description – i could almost smell and savor the coffee all the way over here in india!! thanks for sharing!

August 14, 2012 at 7:27 am |
    • ILoveCoffeeAndIAmSmugAboutIt

Wow, that sounds amazing. I am going to have to seek out an Etheopian restaurant to see this!!!

August 14, 2012 at 7:54 am |
    • DSH

I agree with smr, thank you for writing that up! More 'real' coffee houses should do this.

August 14, 2012 at 8:55 am |
  41. frankdatank

Clever coffee dripper...look it up, you'll never need another coffee gizmo. I laugh at the dopes who get suckered into buyin those keurig single cup shams, and yes I can afford one...

August 14, 2012 at 6:26 am |
  42. nj

aeropress. quick, easy, delicious

August 14, 2012 at 6:11 am |
    • frankdatank

Yupp Aeropress and Clever dripper, great stuff

August 14, 2012 at 6:27 am |
  43. anonymous

I'll drink pour-over if I can't get it siphon. I prefer the greater amount of oils from using a steel filter, and the slightly faster method of the siphon. Plus it's harder to burn the coffee this way.

August 14, 2012 at 5:54 am |
  44. ziegfeldf

You people have way too much time on your hands. Imagine using all this time and effort on something worthwhile.

August 14, 2012 at 5:49 am |
    • Negativity Patrol

To some, this is. Don't be a d!ck.

August 14, 2012 at 6:31 am |
    • redlace

. . . . and yet, you took the time to read the article, instead of doing something worthwhile. Good for you, you may be learning to relax!

August 14, 2012 at 6:58 am |
    • rob

and iu suppose that commenting on peoples post and putting them down is worthwhile right?

August 14, 2012 at 7:01 am |
  45. today

You want strong staff...try Turkish Coffee (way it's made)...btw the best coffee is Lebanese (fine ground with cardamom) – to prep Turkish Coffee

August 14, 2012 at 5:37 am |
  46. today

or just get Dolce Gusto machine...coffee is heavenly...no fuss no mess :))

August 14, 2012 at 5:34 am |
  47. Sean Ross

You have to be very careful with so many things with this method: (1) The temperature of the water when you do the pour has to be selected the way you like it. You can't use boiling or close-to-boiling water, b/c the beans will burn, and you'll get bitter brew. (2) The amount of time during which the coffee beans stay in the water also must be regulated, the longer the time, the stronger and more intense the coffee. This method really can work well only after you've learned how to do it to your taste.

August 13, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
  48. Scott

I think 30 grams would be too strong. I use 22 grams and I like my coffee pretty strong too. I am wondering what most people use that make pour over.

August 13, 2012 at 9:39 pm |
  49. alewatcher

I roast my own coffee beans (over three years now) and 90% of the coffee we drink is pour-over drip, the exceptions being either a vacuum pot or a Moka pot. I have the fancy kettle and brewer, and they make an amazing cup of coffee. Ethiopian dry-process coffees are spectacular.

August 13, 2012 at 8:50 pm |
  50. Quick and easy

1. Fill coffee maker with water and coffee.
    2. Push "Brew"... wait 5 minutes
    3. Pour coffee into cup
    4. Drink
    5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until either full or out of coffee.
    End of story
    End of story

August 13, 2012 at 7:47 pm |
    • alewatcher

It's sad that so many people drink so much coffee, and yet have no idea what coffee *really* tastes like.

August 13, 2012 at 8:52 pm |
      • gregingso

Or maybe it's so amusing that some people have so much time on their hands that they have to invent silly new ways to pour hot water over ground up coffee beans. There are plenty of things in this world to be sad about, how someone chooses to drink their coffee shouldn't be one of them.

August 14, 2012 at 5:55 am |
        • cbtx67

How bout those coffee beans that are coveted, but are actually harvested from a dung pile that comes out of a catlike animal's but t? Now that's devotion baby. hehe

August 14, 2012 at 9:03 am |
    • lt5

Love my Mazzer Major and GB5.

August 13, 2012 at 9:23 pm |
      • Swag Valance

Well how nice for you. Please send your mailing address so I can ship you a prize.

August 14, 2012 at 12:55 am |
      • Oh Please

os·ten·ta·tion (stn-tshn, -tn-)
        n.
        1. Pretentious display meant to impress others; boastful showiness.
        2. Archaic The act or an instance of showing; an exhibition.

August 14, 2012 at 8:14 am |
        • Permutation

A veracious statement if ever there was one!

August 14, 2012 at 8:51 am |
      • dsch26

Used to use a drip coffee maker, but found I can control the strength, and bitterness, a lot easier using my press. I used to put a pinch of salt in the grounds before brewing to help with the bitterness and acidity, but with press brewing, it's a lot easier on the belly. Plus, I can get stronger some days, and weaker others if I desire. Can't really do that with a drip coffee maker

August 14, 2012 at 9:24 am |