Best chicken wings in the country
January 30th, 2012

Kate Krader (@kkrader on Twitter) is Food & Wine's restaurant editor. When she tells us where to find our culinary heart's desire, we listen up.

Here are three key chicken wings stats for Super Bowl XLVI on February 5, 2012.

– More than 1.25 billion chicken wings will be eaten on Super Bowl Sunday. It’s the country’s biggest eating day of the year, after Thanksgiving.

– If those wings were laid end to end they would reach one-quarter of the way to the moon; they’d circle the earth more than twice.

– This year’s New York Giants vs New England Patriots match-up means chicken wings consumption will pretty much hold steady. The Mid-Atlantic, which encompasses Giants territory, are 24 percent more likely to eat wings; New Englanders, a.k.a. Patriots fans, are six percent less likely to eat wings than the national average.

Thanks to the National Chicken Council for these amazing statistics.

And here are five key places for chicken wings if you want to be part of the 1.25 billion wing movement.

Wing Stop - Texas-based chain
Troy Aikman is a veteran of three Super Bowls; whether that makes him a wings expert is another question, but he is the number one fan of Wing Stop (as well as their national spokesman). Wing Stop now have 500 locations in 34 states as well as Mexico – all by themselves, they’ve sold a billion wings. Among their 10 wings flavors are Atomic, Cajun, Hickory Smoked BBQ and Teriyaki. The Super Bowl is such a big event that Wingstop.com has a countdown clock, down to the seconds leading up to the big game.

Bon Chon - New York City, NY
The cult Korean wings spot (which also boasts a karaoke lounge) features exquisitely crispy fried chicken either sauced with a sweet-pungent soy garlic sauce, or spicy hot. This is one of the few places where both choices are equally awesome, so go for half and half. The chain is now worldwide; besides the U.S., there are Bon Chons in the Philippines, Thailand, Dubai and Singapore. I doubt the Super Bowl is a big deal at Bon Chon, but they do have big screens that invariably play the same Euro disco video over and over so perhaps they can be persuaded to change the channel.

San Tung - San Francisco, CA
Real wings aficionados will know what I’m talking about when I say, dry-fried chicken wings. San Tung is a noisy and crowded Chinese restaurant where you invariably have to wait for a table. It doesn’t have nachos or a 500-inch screen TV. What it does have are dry or wet chicken wings. The dry are battered & deep fried with garlic, ginger and roasted red peppers; wet are battered, fried and sautéed in a spicy sauce of roasted red peppers, mushrooms, carrots & bamboo shoots. Get the dry ones.

The Kettle Black - Brooklyn, NY
This Brooklyn bar, which is plastered with Super Bowl ready TV screens, is a veritable United Nations of buffalo wing flavors. Their 14 options include Grampy Del's (Canadian Maple Syrup and Honey), Grampa Nunzio's (Buttery Garlic and Parmesan) and Luau (chunks of Pineapple in Plum BBQ Sauce) although why you’re fooling around with anything other than the Buffalo City (their version of the original recipe) I don’t know. This is a good place to make a dent in the one billion-plus wing statistic: you can order 100 wings here, for $73.95.

Anchor Bar - Buffalo, NY
The place that claims to have invented Buffalo wings, back in 1964. For anyone outside the Buffalo area, be aware of their ‘Wings That Fly’ package. Anchor will ship their wings anywhere in the US, in quantities from 50 to 250 wings; shipping is free. If you’re more of a Do-It-Yourself-Up-To-A-Certain-Point person, you can order Anchor bar sauces online, and make the wings yourself. But plan ahead; there’s no Super Bowl Sunday delivery.

More from Food & Wine:

50 Best Bars in America

Chicken Wing Recipes

Best Pizza Places in the U.S.

Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.

Super Bowl Recipes

Be sure to wash down all those wings with Patriots and Giants-specific beers.

© 2011 American Express Publishing Corporation. All rights reserved.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • Content Partner • Food and Wine • Restaurants • Super Bowl • Tailgating

1. Mendy

Cody's in Riverhead NY. Smoked and grilled..Ridiculous Flavor.

January 30, 2012 at 5:53 pm |
  2. Shawn

We've got LT Wings here in Atlanta, just perfection. I cant speak for how good the places are on the list EXCEPT for Wing Stop....Wing Stop has the worst wings I've ever had from a wing place.

January 30, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
  3. Elzo

Chicken wings are left over pieces that don't serve the chicken alive or humans on a plate. Now that China is becoming wealthy, they are keeping the white meat and leving the "wing" scraps to the USA. Eat up fatties.

January 30, 2012 at 5:50 pm |
    • workerdrone

i don't even know where to begin...
      1) you're a moron
      2) new yorkers have been preparing and consuming wings since the 60's
      3) throwing away wings is a wasteful and irresponsible use of the bird (ever cook a whole chicken? every part is useable, not just the white meat, you meathead!)
      4) you're a moron

January 31, 2012 at 10:09 am |
      • Troll Patrol

While I agree with your POV, please don't feed the trolls.

January 31, 2012 at 10:22 am |
      • workerdrone

bwahahahahaha, i have a weakness for trolls. especially the ones that aren't even very good trolls. but am i allowed to troll back?

January 31, 2012 at 10:35 am |
      • Troll Patrol

We're just looking out for those who are unaware of trolls and the pots they stir. Apologies for the confusion. If you are an experienced troll baiter, by all means, bait away.

January 31, 2012 at 10:42 am |
  4. Jeff

Wingstop??? BLAH!!!! Sure, if you like your wings done to a bone dry, tough, chewy, crispy, crunchy finish! They have the tiniest wings I've ever seen, and by the time they're done being overcooked, there's more skin and seasoning than meat on them. I tried asking them to give my order a shorter cooking time, but nope, it's company policy to BURN the wings to a well welldone finish! NO THANKS!!! Their management won't answer my email complaints either, so the can take their wings and stick them where the sun don't shine! I go to a local Mexican shop for my wings. They are literally twice the meat content of the Wingstop wings, and at a lower price!

January 30, 2012 at 5:47 pm |
  5. MHM

The further you get away from NY, the worse the wings get. Having gone to school in upstate NY, I was spoiled. Now I make my own wings with a 'secret' recipe and they come out great. Will be making them this Sunday for sure.

January 30, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
    • Fawn Thayer

I totally agree, I'm stationed in HI and the things they call wings here are fried and they dump the sauce on it. Everyone here thinks it's awesome and what Buffalo wings are and I'm always telling them they have no idea. I think the best wings I had are at Gabriel's Gate on Allen St.

January 31, 2012 at 12:19 am |
      • Apex

Gotta second you about The 'Gate. The best in WNY. I happily drive right past The Anchor Bar to go to Gabriel's Gate for wings. It's amazing more people don't know about them!

January 31, 2012 at 9:30 am |
  6. Usher73

Gator's in Canton, Michigan

January 30, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
  7. Plucktafied

Plucker's Wing Factory in Austin, TX Baby!

January 30, 2012 at 5:37 pm |
    • 78702

Agreed, everyone in Ausitn knows that Pluckers is the only, and very best, wing shack in town. Wingstop is a hole.

February 3, 2012 at 6:51 pm |
  8. TJLinBallston

Duffs! Duffs! Duffs! Duffs! 'Nuff said. All those other places that serve wings in many different flavors and styles are indeed selling appetizers but they aren't selling true wings. More important than the various crazy flavors is "meatiness." Good wings are plump and spicy - that's it. Buffalo rules.

January 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
  9. The Vegan™

mmmmmmm.........

I love me some tofu wings with organic cream of sum yung gi!

January 30, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
    • Bill Hoffman

You are silly Vegan™. And yes, I used the alt key for the ™....lol

February 1, 2012 at 7:27 pm |
  10. Angry Arnie

So I guess the 'Best' has something related to major airports? Its as if nothing is edible outside the major hubs (sans Buffalo). Maybe our journalists are just getting lazy? Anyhow, the best wings can be found @ 6 Rivers Brewing Co. in McKinleyville, CA (Humboldt County), about 5 hours drive north of SF.

January 30, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
  11. Ian

Buffalo's wings rule. Rochester's garbage plate does not.

January 30, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
    • Philip@Ian

Been to Rochester. Spent a year there one weekend.

January 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm |
    • JB

Note to self: Never trust's Ian's opinion on anything...because Garbage Plates rule.

January 31, 2012 at 9:05 am |
  12. Shawn

"Buffalo Style" wings are Western New Yorks gift to the world that has evolved from the early days when we all ate them at our favorite local pizzeria. Buffalo just loves food. Webers mustard, Sahlens hot dogs, Miller's horseradish. Yum and Yummer.

January 30, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
  13. Mike

Lived in Buffalo for 8 years; traveled all over the US for work.

Best wings IMO are from the Bar Bill in East Aurora, NY (About 20 mins from downtown Buffalo; followed by Coles, then Duffs (Too much vinegar/Franks in their sauce), and way lower on the list Anchor Bar. Anchor may have "invented" them, but they've become a "famous" place and tourist trap more than the local good food place.

January 30, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • Chris

Funny, was just going to reply that the Bar-Bill has the best wings in Buffalo. Of all the places to go, my out of town friends want to go there everytime. Duffs, Coles, and Gabriel's Gate also have very good wings. Going to Anchor Bar is like going to out in Times Square. Tourist trap.

January 30, 2012 at 6:06 pm |
      • scott

9-11 all the way. Best in Buffalo. Bar Bill is also good. Duffs is overrated. Anchor bar totally sucks!

January 30, 2012 at 6:20 pm |
      • JB

Ergh - dontcha hate that? There are so many places in Nashville that used to be great and are now just tourist traps. And every time I have out-of-town guests, those are the crappy places they want to go b/c they saw them on Food Network. I guess every touristy city has at least one of THOSE places.

January 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm |
      • Fawn Thayer

YES!! Gabriel's Gate...omg I miss that place!!! Everytime I go back i have to eat there lol It's such a hidden gem of Buffalo!

January 31, 2012 at 12:22 am |
    • sara

yum yum bill-bar! gabriels gate has huge delish wings too even if the service sucks!

February 6, 2012 at 8:25 am |
  14. Anthony

If you are in So Cal, try Legends in Belmont Shore. Get the lemon pepper or traditional. Ask for grilled lemon pepper (not on menu)

January 30, 2012 at 5:18 pm |
  15. Heather

Shout out to Kettle Black for getting some national recognition for their amazing wing selection! Nothing against those who prefer their wings with sauce, but it's hard to beat Kettle's dry-rubbed, amazingly seasoned Fitzpatrick's for true wing nirvana. Gotta love the locally owned neighborhood pubs with food like this...

January 30, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
    • Steve_P90X_Baby

They call their wings "Fitzpatricks"? Are they corned beef and cabbage flavored? P90X, baby!!!

January 30, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
  16. Phil in KC

Just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, taste is in the mouth of the eater. Personally, I do not care for spicy foods. So I only eat wings that are mild. I also do NOT like greasy wings. So, right there, that puts me at odds with a majority of wing connoisseurs. Point being, it's awfully hard to say which are best because there are so many different tastes out there.

January 30, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
  17. sean

the best wings are at Duffs on millersport and sheridan in amherst ny. followed by anchor bar , then the buffalo bar(not sure of the name but everything is buffalo) in charlotte NC. any other place should not be on the list

January 30, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • Cris

agreed. If you are from Buffalo, Duff's is where you get your wings. Anchor bar is for tourists and food writers.

January 30, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
      • Steve_P90X_Baby

Are tourists allowed to go to Duff's or is it for locals only? P90X, baby!!!

January 30, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
      • Lisa

Agreed! I grew up in Buffalo and the BEST place to get them is at Duffs!

January 30, 2012 at 5:38 pm |
    • Drew

a third vote for Duffs. Anchor Bar is a tourist trap. They may have invented them but Duffs perfected them.

I steer everyone I can to Duffs.

January 30, 2012 at 5:32 pm |
    • Dave

The place in Charlotte you're thinking of is Tavern on the Tracks

January 30, 2012 at 5:43 pm |
    • technowonder

I think you're referring to Tavern on the Tracks...they do have good goldrush wings there but the best in charlotte has to be Ed's Tavern jerk wings for flavor.

I must say though, I really dislike ordering chicken wings and they bring out those little pigeon wings...

January 31, 2012 at 1:42 am |
  18. T. Bagher

Chicken wings are very liberal by nature. Real Americans will go for a burger or ribs. Wings are for weak willed liberals.

January 30, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • Shel

Leave it to some douchebag to politicize chicken wings...

January 30, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • Jeff

Burgers and ribs are for weak minded conservative Pee Wee Hermans. You know, the Ron Paul teabagger type. REAL neocons go for the filet mignon, ribeye, or porterhouse steak or pork tenderloin.

January 30, 2012 at 6:15 pm |
  19. haha

Wingstop Atomics. Wet. FTW

January 30, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
  20. Steve in Buffalo

Everyone in Buffalo knows that Anchor Bar's wings are only for tourists. If you want real Buffalo-style chicken wings (we just call them chicken wings; if it's called a Buffalo Wing, it isn't authentic) go to Duff's!

January 30, 2012 at 4:55 pm |
    • Steve_P90X_Baby

I asked my friend Tim in Buffalo and he didn't know this. Do you know Tim? Maybe you could help him out and show him which places have real wings. P90X, baby!!!

January 30, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
    • JoeB in Q-Town

Correct on the Duff's wings. Tourist go to the Anchor Bar. I have been to a lot of wing places. The Chicken or the Egg on Long Beach Island NJ have killer stuff. Need to wipe your butt with a snow cone! Did the Atomic Challenge at the Quaker Steak and Lube; not bad. My local and still the best is The Wagon Wheel in Quakertown PA

January 30, 2012 at 5:06 pm |
  21. Rob

This is not a good article. How can you rank chicken wings? I might be a bit biased because I live in WNY, but you can get very good chicken wings basically anywhere here, and none of them come from some kind of national chain place.

January 30, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
    • April

Couldn't agree more!

January 30, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
    • sportreform

Absolutely agree, Rob. From WNY also. Nearly all local pizza shops in WNY make better wings than the rest of the world. Never had a good wing from anywhere else. Most of the nation really has no clue what a real wing is.

January 30, 2012 at 5:12 pm |
      • Steve_P90X_Baby

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo. That's actually a real sentence. Look it up if you don't believe me! P90X, baby!!!

January 30, 2012 at 5:27 pm |
  22. JD

Wingstop is utter shite. They can't even get blue cheese right, it's this watery gruel-type nastiness.

January 30, 2012 at 4:50 pm |
    • kasey

I would agree with the bleu cheese dressing, which i think is crap pretty much anywhere. It's something that should be made at home. I also think they're overpriced for the product, and their sides of celery and carrot stick are pathetic in size. Howeveer, I do think their garlic parm wings are really good. Otherwise, meh to most wing places. You can make better wings at home in your oven. Just cook at 425 for 45 minutes or until browned and crunchy, then toss in whatever sauce you want, bbq, teriyaki, parm and garlic powder, etc. Costs about $8 for 30 wing pieces as opposed to $25.

January 30, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
  23. Bubba

January 30, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
    • Steve in Buffalo

We don't call them Buffalo Wings Bubba. Only tourists do that.

January 30, 2012 at 4:56 pm |
      • Rest of NY

I think that's a name that's not a tourist thing, but rather something the rest of NY was doing when serving them up, meaning "in the style from Buffalo".

January 30, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • sean

are u sure grandma didnt take the idea from anchor bar? unless i missed something in math isnt the 70s after 1964?

January 30, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
      • Steve_P90X_Baby

Sounds like his great-great-grandma's recipe is older, if his grandma served them to him in the 1970s and she got the recipe from her grandma. Don't you think? P90X, baby!!!

January 30, 2012 at 5:01 pm |
    • LMAO

"Back in the 70s"? Did you even read the article?

January 30, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
      • Bubba

Yes. Now you try try doing some math. Back in the seventies, my grandma who was in her 80's used her grandmother's recipe. My great-great grandmother had been dead for about 50 years at the time. So, even if my G-G-Grandmother came up with her recipe on her death-bed, the recipe would be about 90 years old now.

January 30, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
  24. Steve_P90X_Baby

Probably the best wings I've ever had were at Buffalo Wild Wings in Tulsa, OK. I doubt you could make them any better than there. P90X, baby!!!

January 30, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • denim

BWW is good, but it's a large corporate chain. There's better. An example: Wings Over Amherst http://wingsoveramherst.com/zgrid/proc/site/sitep.jsp

January 30, 2012 at 4:53 pm |
      • Steve_P90X_Baby

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't really see a need to try wings anywhere else. I already know BWW is the best. P90X, baby!!!

January 30, 2012 at 4:54 pm |
    • kasey

Steve, get a grip. You may be satisfied with BWW, but that doens't mean they're the best. They're just the best to you. And what's with the P90X. Get off the testosterone, dude.

January 30, 2012 at 5:07 pm |
      • Steve_P90X_Baby

Kasey, I'm not just satisfied with BWW, I'm enraptured, euphoric, and overjoyed with BWW! P90X, baby!!!

January 30, 2012 at 5:15 pm |
      • kasey

And you're a little strange, too. Maybe a little sad, since you don't want to try anything new. And lay off the speed. It's starting to get to you.

January 30, 2012 at 5:35 pm |
      • Steve_P90X_Baby

Kasey, you're not making any sense. If I was sad I'd always be looking for better wings. But I'm happy! P90X, baby!!!

January 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm |
    • Absolut420

PLUCKERS!!!!!!

January 30, 2012 at 5:21 pm |
    • The P

_P91X_ is the real class. _P90X_ is a wannabe!

January 30, 2012 at 6:09 pm |
    • montyhp

BWW breads their wings. That is just wrong. Naked all the way. Hooters has the best naked wings around.

January 30, 2012 at 8:21 pm |
  25. matthouse

wings are just good anywhere

January 30, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • LMAO

Seriously? That just means you've never had a good wing.

January 30, 2012 at 5:04 pm |
  26. Mike

Tim's Cajun Kitchen in Huntsville, AL. The wings are smoked and are OH SO GOOD!!!

January 30, 2012 at 4:46 pm |
  27. Alex

I've never had anything better than Candlelight Inn in Scarsdale, NY. If you live in the area, you need to go there.

January 30, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
  28. SJ

Great Sea Chinese Restaurant in Chicago highly recommened for their spicy chicken wings!

January 30, 2012 at 4:41 pm |
    • agree!!

yes they are!!... just not sure how they get them in the square shape

January 30, 2012 at 5:09 pm |
  29. Gina

Harold's Chicken in Chicago. Best.Wings.Period!

January 30, 2012 at 4:39 pm |
    • Guy

Harolds not only has the best wings, but the best chicken I have ever had. Period.

January 30, 2012 at 5:25 pm |
    • Likin' Q.S.

You two need feminine protection with all those periods........

January 31, 2012 at 7:32 am |
  30. daweaz

Deb, your right calie has the worst wings in the whole country but the mexican great

January 30, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  31. i_know_everything

this is such a silly article, did you taste the wings in every restaurant in America, and if you did, how did you make such an acute comparison?

January 30, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
    • kasey

I"m convinced that for articles like this they just go to citysearch or some website and look for places with a few stars, then write the article around them. Seriously, why else would you choose such a limited number, and why in the world would you include a chain...

January 30, 2012 at 5:10 pm |
  32. daweaz

gak27 right on the money on both counts ive been everywhere in this country and have heard al the "best wings ever crap" and they do not know what they are talking about. all most everywhere you go the wings suck and as far as "Buffalo willd wings" someone should sue them for using the word buffalo in there name they have some of the worst wings i have eaten anywhere. listen to gak27 get to duffs and then over to teds for the best hot dog you will ever have then why not Swistons for a beef on wick you will not be dissapointed

January 30, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
    • BILBO BOOMERBOTTOM

That's "weck" not "wick" (short for "kummelweck,remember?)

January 30, 2012 at 5:08 pm |
    • gak27

Weck, baby! The lost and forgotten 3rd W in BW3!!!!

January 30, 2012 at 5:14 pm |
  33. Tammy

What does your penis have to do with this article?

January 30, 2012 at 4:36 pm |
  34. James

There is a delivery and carry-out only chicken wing place in Newark, Delaware called "Cluck-U". I'm sure there are others around the United States but that is the one I have been to. Cluck-U had the best wings I have ever had. Their chicken wings were more like small drumsticks and they came in about 10 different heat intensities. The rest of their food was equally amazing and the price was very, very reasonable. I sure miss that place since moving.

January 30, 2012 at 4:34 pm |
    • mike collins

LOL! When i read the headline, I said to myself, "unless it's Cluck U, they're not the best"!

Trust me, I've had a lot of wings and have also have made a lot...Cluck U is the best I've ever had!

January 30, 2012 at 4:42 pm |
      • mike collins

One too many "have(s)" in there...

January 30, 2012 at 4:43 pm |
  35. Ben

As a Buffalonian I have to say that any true wing lover would never go to Anchor Bar. Anchor Bar is a tourist trap and doesn't even break into the top 3 places in Buffalo to get wings let alone nationally.

January 30, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Marti

Ben, my nephew married a girl from Buffalo. They had us all get together at a little hole in the wall bar the night before for REAL Buffalo wings. Wish I could remember the place – the poor kitchen guys were almost sacked by all the guests and the locals as they came out with vats of wings. OMG the hot sauce was doing a job on us all as we crawled into the church for the wedding the next day.

January 30, 2012 at 4:47 pm |
    • Matt

LaNova BBQ wings for the win!

January 30, 2012 at 4:51 pm |
    • April

Gabriel's Gate is the best wing place in Buffalo

January 30, 2012 at 4:59 pm |
  36. WHAT THE PLUCK??

as a native Texan, wingstop is terrible. Pluckers here in Texas is a bajillion times better. The placement of wingstop on this list makes this list void.

January 30, 2012 at 4:31 pm |
    • Pluckerslover

I AGREE COMPLETELY!!!!!!! Pluckers is the BEST!!!!! PERIOD. Wing Stop does not even compare to the deliciousness that is Pluckers. I'm already craving it again thinking about their wings and I had it 2 days ago!

January 30, 2012 at 4:49 pm |
  37. Binky42

Nastiest food ever!!! A tiny bit of greasy meat surrounded by floppy, thick skin. Ewwww! No thanks.

January 30, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
    • Woodrow

Just tofu wings for you.

January 30, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • Brent

Amen!!

January 30, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
    • i_know_everything

lol, loser

January 30, 2012 at 4:38 pm |
  38. JIm

Daytona beach – Hooligans – the Wally Wings are fried then finished on the grill and the sauces are super

January 30, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  39. ALL THINGS WINGS - The Wing Review

Here's my shameless self-promotion:
    Check out my Wing Review Website...like us on facebook while your'e there!

January 30, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
  40. Deb

After moving to California from Buffalo, I realized many resturants do not know how to make chicken wings. Duffs, Anchor Bar, Just Pizza and Al-Opps. We miss you all...

January 30, 2012 at 4:26 pm |
    • nickylags@hotmail.com

I also moved from Buffalo to Orange County. Bubba makes a comment – Buffalo may have invented the name Buffalo wings, but do they honestly think they were the first people on earth to put hot sauce on a chicken wing? My grandma used to serve her grandma's recipe of wings in sauce to me back in the early seventies and I still haven't found any as good. Anyone who knows anything about chicken wings would never call them Buffalo wings – as Buffalo's do not have wings – and there is no such thing as chicken of the sea.

January 30, 2012 at 5:02 pm |
  41. ChuckMurph

If any of you, for whatever reason, happen to pass through Iowa, check out The Vine in Iowa City (their maple hot and traditional hot are my favorite). Best wings I've ever had. I've lived in Chicago for a few years and have tried wings at dozens of places and still haven't found any that compare.

January 30, 2012 at 4:25 pm |
    • oft23

concur on the Vine recommendation. amazing stuff.

January 30, 2012 at 4:29 pm |
  42. Aaron

I've had Wing Stop in Texas. If you want buffalo wings though you should go to Pluckers. That said the title of this article was Best Wings and not best Buffalo wings so I would have to say that my wife's recipe is the best. She is from Indonesia and makes wings the way they make them over there. They are first marinated in some kind of black pepper and chili pepper mix then blacked on either the grill or broiler. They not only taste better than buffalo wings but they are not deep fried either.

January 30, 2012 at 4:17 pm |
    • CraigJ

I second that Aaron, I worked in Jakarta for a while and the wings there and in Bali are awesome, enak sekali.

January 30, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  43. Edward

The best wings I've ever had (and I try them pretty much wherever I go, including from the Anchor Bar and Buffalo Wild Wings) are from a place called "The Chicken or the Egg" in Beach Haven, NJ. They have a whole variety of interesting sauces as well as several "classic" buffalo-flavored sauces, and all are amazing.

January 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
  44. DON

I HAVE THE BEST WINGS OF ALL TIME. BET YOU $10.000

January 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • PersonOfInterest

I guess it is kind of easy to make a claim like that for a substantial amount of money, knowing full well, the internet has no capability of actually calling you on it, or for such a subjective, taste specific result like "the best wings." Good luck with that, and enjoy your ego.

January 30, 2012 at 4:48 pm |
      • Likin' Q.S.

It's not really that substantial. They used a (.) in their 10.000 dollar bet. They're only out 10 bux.

January 31, 2012 at 7:28 am |
  45. Sarah

"More than 1.25 billion chicken wings will be eaten on Super Bowl Sunday." Any wonder why this country is so fat???

January 30, 2012 at 4:16 pm |
    • Eric

thanks debbie downer... and you wonder why you're single and spend your saturday nights crying into a box of tissues instead of going out and having fun

January 30, 2012 at 4:27 pm |
    • Woodrow

I don't think you can point to chicken wings consumed on a single day in the country and make the leap that it's the reason for America's weight problem...

Feel free to eat your tofu burger and watch Golden Girls while the game's on though. It is a free country, after all.

January 30, 2012 at 4:30 pm |
      • Sarah

Okay, fatty!

January 30, 2012 at 4:33 pm |
  46. Hot sauce mike

Haven't read all of teh comments, so someone could have said it earlier. But, Hard Times Cafe in the DC area has what they call Texas grilled wings, which are bufallo style and but grilled after being fried. Truly unique wings.

January 30, 2012 at 4:14 pm |
  47. Wes

My personal favorite? Hole-in-the-wall "Wings Suds & Spuds" in Pittsburgh - crispy, hot, and well-sauced! Review here: http://3nosh.com/wings-suds-spuds-moon-township-pittsburgh/

January 30, 2012 at 4:13 pm |
    • Dee

Oh..YES.....making me miss Moon Township, Wes! We always ordered ours extra-wet...they are The BEST!

January 30, 2012 at 4:32 pm |
  48. Hingie

The best wings period (and I have eaten wings at just about every restaurant that I have eaten at.) goes to

Mr. E's Tavern
    Coatesville, PA

Regular hot wings with garlic with a side of XXX hot sauce.
    All sauces are home made with garden grown peppers. Not fake chain sauces. A extra side of celery and home made bleu cheese and you're good to go.

January 30, 2012 at 4:12 pm |
    • Bob

Too bad you don't get out of town much.

January 30, 2012 at 4:21 pm |
    • PersonOfInterest

I have to say that some of the local bars (I'm in eastern PA too!)& restaurants have some really good wings that will never get visibility for a list like this.

January 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm |