T minus 20 – Beyond the bird, a bacon pig
November 4th, 2011

There's only so much turkey a man can take.

iReporter, Grilling.com writer and Smoke in Da Eye competition BBQ chronicler and team member Clint Cantwell found himself having to gobble down waaayyyy too much of the bird. After roasting, deep-frying and smoking three different turkeys for Thanksgiving last year, he needed a bit of a palate cleanser. Naturally, he swung swine-ward.

Cantwell crafted a pig entirely out of pork as a Thanksgiving appetizer. "Pork E. Pigskin," as he was dubbed, had hot links for legs, a sausage body, ham ears, Vienna sausage nose, a pork rind tail and a bacon wrap.

We greatly admire Cantwell's ingenious spirit, but we also sympathize with the man. Though most of us aren't flocking about with multiple birds for a single holiday, turkey can still get a little tedious year after year.

Has that ever driven you to explore other options? Post your most creative alternative solutions - or passionate feelings about traditional poultry - in the comments below and we just might feature them in an upcoming post.

Previously - T minus 21 – Stocking up for the big day and all T minus Thanksgiving coverage

Got a Thanksgiving query or dilemma? Need techniques for roasting turkey or just looking for recipes to bust up your holiday rut? Wanna know what one of our anchors eats for T-Day? We're here to help. Post your question in the comments below and we'll do our best to assist.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bacon • Feature • Holiday • HolidayShopping • iReport • Make • Recipes • T Minus • Tailgating • Thanksgiving • Thanksgiving

1. Vegitarian

I am now no longer a vegitarian. I must eat this. This picture in now hanging on my wall to remind me that my true nature dictates running through the woods and butchering inferior animals to eat them; perhaps their families too. Further, anybody who thinks that eating this is sin, as former vegitarian I can tell you talking yourself into thinking that meat is sinful or immoral is one of many steps into a self-righteous solitude. A real vegitarian does not want meat which I can understand. A poser vegitarian feels bad about some other aspect of their life and thinks the act of not eating a helpless creature will even the score with....god? Karma? Who knows.
    Seriously, lay off the preaching and enjoy your tofurkey for Thanksgiving. But a crusade against meateaters is silly and arrogant. And the meateaters pity with your dry soyburger.

November 5, 2011 at 12:57 am |
    • P.J.

I'm thinking a true vegetarian knows how to spell it.

November 5, 2011 at 5:40 am |
    • Rick

I have been a vegetarian for over 30 years. I do not preach, and I do not eat tofurky

November 5, 2011 at 6:19 am |
    • Little Johnny

I l!ck spelling it v-a-g-e-t-a-r-i-a-n.

November 7, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
  2. kat

oh my god. truly amazing, i am in love!

November 5, 2011 at 12:54 am |
  3. Bacon Lover

Don't care what the main dish is (this year we're doing king crab) but have to have some stuffing on the side or it's not Thanksgiving to me. As for this "pig", I absolutely LOVE bacon or "meat candy" as some call it but this thing looks totally disgusting!

November 4, 2011 at 11:56 pm |
  4. soggynode

I'm not sure the family would be up for a pork pig Thanksgiving. Although, the shock value of dropping that gut bomb on the table with my wife's entire family sitting there would almost be worth the fallout. Put me down for two.

November 4, 2011 at 11:22 pm |
  5. virginiatrailschristine

We quit doing 'turkey and all the trimmings' about five years ago. I was always the only one capable/willing to cook, and I was never a turkey fan to start with. One post-Thanksgiving evening several years ago, I pondered my general indifference to turkey and the stress of cooking a huge feast alone and decided I was DONE. I now make homemade pizza every Thanksgiving. Crust from scratch, homemade sauce, lots of good toppings. We bake pizzas, drink wine, watch movies, RELAX and give thanks for our wonderful life. No turkey needed!

November 4, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  6. Deena

This looks absolutely horrid. If anyone wants to know an excellent substitution to turkey on thanksgiving, have roast leg of lamb;rosemary and garlic. It is amazing!!! A little on the expensive side but I really love lamb.

November 4, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
  7. Reverend Billy

So, where's the SPAM? You can't leave out the SPAM....!

November 4, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • hirolla74

You can make the piglets out of a can of spam.

November 5, 2011 at 9:24 am |
  8. Daniel

I marked other, I'm actually a #1, but why settle for just one meat? I usually have venison too.

November 4, 2011 at 5:43 pm |
  9. Mo Lewis

Never thought it through, but your question forced me to. I don't care what we have for dinner on Thanksgiving as long as the family's there. Turkey's good; probably was more appreciated years ago when we couldn't find turkey all year round in the poultry case, but only just before The Day. I've also served a vegetarian 'meat loaf,' a goose, and had a mass-produced hamburger in the airport while waiting to come home at a time when I'd arrive too late for the big feast. The food's great, but not the most important part of the holiday. Happy Thanksgiving, all!

November 4, 2011 at 5:39 pm |
  10. Wayne Hustis

Aren't all pigs made out of pork already?
    Apologies if I'm the 8999th person to point that out.

November 4, 2011 at 5:26 pm |
    • Catherine

No, I think all PIgs are made out of skin and bones and guts and gross slop that they eat in their pig pens! :( BUT, all pork is Pig i'm sure! LOL...

November 4, 2011 at 9:42 pm |
  11. Mary

Sorry, this is a truly sickening concept and the picture you guys have up is even worse.

November 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
    • Catherine

eewwww, I totally agree!!! Looks SICK! Hannibal Lechter-ish!

November 4, 2011 at 9:38 pm |
  12. coflyboy

We should make a couple thousand of these and send 'em to Al-Queida!

November 4, 2011 at 4:46 pm |
    • Rick

Or Israel

November 5, 2011 at 6:26 am |
  13. Linda Taylor

The bacon is a bit greasy for my taste....Im not a huge fan of turkey but its a Thanksgiving tradition.

November 4, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  14. TJ

Instead of a whole turkey, I just put a boneless turkey breast in the crock pot with chicken broth. That way I don't have to eat turkey for a week afterwards but I still get a little bit of turkey whenever I want it.

November 4, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
  15. dan

People contemplating an alternative to turkey should read Calvin Trillin's proposal that spaghetti carbonara become the traditional Thanksgiving dish.

November 4, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

My husband and I served spaghetti carbonara at a breakfast the morning after our wedding because it's bacon, eggs and bread, all in a mouthful and the *perfect* hangover food.

November 4, 2011 at 4:53 pm |
  16. Bill

When did we lose our sense of humor??? Lighten up Francis, it's a little food fun!!

November 4, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • Quid Malborg in Plano TX

Surely, you jest.

November 4, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
      • Harry

No, I do not. And stop calling me Shirley.

November 4, 2011 at 7:45 pm |
    • Dee

@Bill - "food fun"???? Really? How much fun was this for the pig or pigs that were slaughtered to make this grotesque photograph?

November 5, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
      • me again

and how many soy plants had to die so you could have soy milk (or I should say soy JUICE) on your cereal and in your coffee?

November 6, 2011 at 5:46 am |
      • T3chsupport

They wouldn't know. They stopped caring when they got a bolt to the head.

November 6, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  17. Paul Wolborsky

For all its appeal, Turkey is a bland, mass-produced bird, often bred inhumanely. Why do people limit themselves when it comes to the Thanksgiving menu? It's a Feast. Once you recognize that, you have a whole world of choices.

Why not make an Italian Feast. Get Ada Boni's excellent Italian Regional Cuisine cookbook and choose 1 region (Tuscany, Calabria, Parma, Sicilian. If you're rich, try Piedmont truffles). Or a healthy, inexpensive, yet exotic Mediterranean Feast? If you can cook Asian, an Asian Feast. Fish, Beef, Pork, lamb or rabbit, maybe even ostrich or buffalo. Meat choices abound. Or you can try a vegetarian feast that if done right, people will remember well for years.

Or if you must have the bird, try a different bird, like Cornish game hens. I don't recommend Goose or goose, it's all dark meet.

Make it more relaxed, focus on a happy gathering, enlist friends to help. Kitchen conversations are the best. Even invite a Turkey and feed it stuffing.

Think outside the Bird-box or ham-hock and truly make your feast the celebration of sensual overload.

November 4, 2011 at 3:06 pm |
    • WellAndWeller

Why not just be intelligent enough to realize that all meat and dairy is terrible for your health? It's all about the seasonings and trimmings that make for a great meal. All meat is basically bland and tasteless until we season it to our taste. Textured soy protein has the texture that satifies the human palat, with none of the detrimental effects of growing and eating livestock. The effects of producing meat for our consumption is the #1 cause of pollution and disease in the U.S. and the pharamceutical, chemical, food processing companies...along with the meat and dairy associations applaud us all for participating in their record profit growths and our disease rates. People, wake the f up already!

November 4, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
      • FUWIA

give it a rest !!!!!!!!!!!!!! eat what YOU want to eat and leave the rest of us alone...............stay out of my business !!!

November 4, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
      • Robert Frenchu

"Why not just be intelligent enough to realize that all meat and dairy is terrible for your health? It's all about the seasonings and trimmings that make for a great meal. All meat is basically bland and tasteless until we season it to our taste."

Ah. I see what the problem is now. You know you usually cook meat first, right? Steak tartare aside, I've never had a "bland or tasteless" filet mignon or rib eye. Are you swallowing it whole?

The whole "meat is bad for you" is just propaganda from animal rights people. But they've probably never sat down to a tender veal parmigiana, either.

I think, though, that we can ALL agree that the BEST part about meat- especially BBQ meat- is the apoplectic reactions it provokes with vegans and vegetarians. If the trade off is enjoying my meat or living longer with no meat, keep your soy.

"Textured soy protein has the texture that satifies the human palat[sic]"

ROFLMAO So does a filet mignon with a nice little bowl of drawn butter to dip it in.

November 4, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
      • theseconddavid

If something didn't have to die for my meal, it isn't worth eating.

November 5, 2011 at 8:38 am |
      • Gozer the Gozerian

Is there a particular reason you see fit to foist your misery on the rest of us? Go gnaw on your lawn clippings and dead foliage, then get back on your high horse for a trip to STFU Ranch.

November 6, 2011 at 11:05 am |
  18. Doctor Ragnarok

I selected "other" because I hate turkey and avoid it at all costs, even at thanksgiving. Usually I just fill up on trimmings, since I am allergic to ham, and that's the other thing served by the family.

November 4, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
    • SickerAndSicker

I told myself for years...most of my life, that I liked eating meat..that it was necessary for my enjoyment (mainly) and my health (for protein). Well, I was wrong. Even though it may seem to be socially, religiously, pollitically and physically correct to do so, it's quite the opposite in every possible way. Even God, in the Old Testament instructed Daniel and his people not to eat meat so that they would have the strength to prevail.....we have taken the notion that we are above all else to a tragic level in that the animals and animal products we consume are consuming us. We are making the worst decisions and choices, and we are turning and blind eye and intelligent mind to certain catastrophy. Cheers.

November 4, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
      • Maya Da B

Way to cherry pick the Bible beatch. Are you perhaps the same as wellandweller above? BTW's I am not going to be told meat has no taste from a vegface. Its delicious.

November 5, 2011 at 4:45 pm |
  19. Melody C.

About as polar opposite from tofurkey as one can get!

November 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  20. flashtrum

Grab a vat of mayo and about 10 loaves of bread and you have Elvis's favorite meal.

November 4, 2011 at 1:48 pm |
    • SickerAndSicker

You're right....and he's been dead since 1977...not a good diet.

November 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
      • Rick

That may be true about Elvis, but it wasn't just the diet. The vast amount of drugs in his system contributed

November 5, 2011 at 6:34 am |
      • Gozer the Gozerian

And some day, you will be dead, too, so why follow your diet? It's obviously not good for you since it will end in your death.

November 6, 2011 at 11:06 am |
  21. meleighsmith

I used to make turkey chili and cornbread for Thanksgiving.

November 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  22. SickerAndSicker

With skyrocketing cancer, diabetes and heart disease rates along with the exploding obesity of U.S. adults AND children, the only thing this photo really depicts is the foul nature of uneducated people that consume things that eventually consume them. Look in the mirror and around you at all of the fat and diseased people and ask yourselves if you're making intelligent decisions and choices in the ways you go about things....and then watch "Forks Over Knives".

November 4, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Scott

I recommend you got to youtube and look up Epic Meal Time, because they one-upped this...

(by the way, they're Canadian)

November 4, 2011 at 1:47 pm |
    • Robert Frenchu

Um, I don't think you're supposed to eat the whole thing.

November 4, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • Aubrey

Got judgement?

November 4, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
    • Chris

Just know that the bacon pig has "a sausage body", and that anyone who eats too much of it will too.

November 4, 2011 at 7:37 pm |
  23. Ray

My wife switched to cooking a whole roast duck for Thanksgiving 5 years ago and we haven't gone back to turkey ever since .

November 4, 2011 at 1:14 pm |
  24. Jay

I like pork and bacon, but every time I have it, I always think of the hypocrisy of people who look down upon other people eating dogs but yet eat pigs even though they can be domesticated and they are generally smarter. It's why I only eat pig once in a blue moon.

November 4, 2011 at 12:46 pm |
    • CaptainWalker

Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy mofo. Pigs sleep and root in s**t. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got sense enough to disregard its own feces.

November 4, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
      • upupandaway

hahaha! love that, one of my favorites! I quote it whenever someone tries to get me to eat something I dont want to!

November 4, 2011 at 1:55 pm |
      • Vincent---Hahaha! CW I love that flick, love your post!

You know what they put on French fries in Holland instead of ketchup?

Mayonnaise.

I've seen 'em do it, man. They f**kin' drown 'em in that s**t.

November 4, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
      • Vincent---Hahaha! CW I love that fli ck, love your post!

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

"You know what they put on French fries in Holland instead of ketchup?

Mayonnaise.

I've seen 'em do it, man. They f** kin' drown 'em in that s* *t."

November 4, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
      • SickerAndSicker

Pigs do have the sense, as all animals do, to not lay around in their own feces....the fences we build for them, along with the confined animal feeding operations, give them no other choice. When will stupid humans wake up and realize that we are being eaten by the stupid animals that we eat, through: cancer, heart disease, diabetes and gross obesity? Sometimes we really do get what we deserve.

November 4, 2011 at 2:07 pm |
      • Bnard

I agree this is a nastee dish, but if you swear off eating pork because the cleanliness of the animal. Then you need to check your diet. Chicken/Poultry arent exactly the "Felix Unger" of the food chain and some fish eat anything. For me moderation is the key.

November 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
      • AMH

But bacon tastes goood, pork chops taste goood.

Actually I prefer beef. I do like the taste of a good burger. Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder in France?

November 4, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
      • Chris

Hey, do you know what they call a "bacon pig" in France?

November 4, 2011 at 7:39 pm |
      • ugh

Aww someone else who quoted Pulp Fiction, how dare you! Have to admit, that movie was chock full of fun quotes.

November 22, 2012 at 4:02 am |
    • Robert Frenchu

When I eat bacon and pork, I don't think about dogs, except for the one usually drooling about two feet away. She likes pork products, too.

November 4, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  25. eggbert

Few years back my brother was telling me over the phone of his thanksgiving of a full turkey dinner, family, friends, and how he ate too much, worked to much, etc. Then he asked me about our dinner. I told him about the frozen pizza and beer which was met with silence from his end. After a pause I said "Kind of jealous aren't you" He agreed I had the better thanksgiving. No mess, No Fuss

November 4, 2011 at 12:45 pm |
    • Worf

That wasn't jealousy. It was silent pity.

November 5, 2011 at 10:54 am |
  26. Novel1

We have 22 people coming to our table this holiday. We bought a locally raised and butchered turkey but we are also cooking a pork shoulder in the smoker. That will be served with my husband's famous "orange BBQ sauce". We like people to have a choice and we also enjoy the heck out of the leftovers!

November 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
    • kevireno

Can't be too famous, I've never heard of him.

November 4, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
      • NinjaGimp

kevireno, you are dumb. Your attempt at humor failed miserably *facepalm*

November 4, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  27. MICHAELF

This may be one of the ingenius things I have ever seen. BRILLIANT!

November 4, 2011 at 12:25 pm |
  28. sam carollo

eat anything you want but do it with your family

November 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
  29. jj

That pig is disgusting.

November 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • InLa

I agree. I'd skip a Thanksgiving dinner if this plopped on the table. It would make me want to puck just looking at the thing!!

November 4, 2011 at 12:33 pm |
  30. Clark

that's just a big bowl of wrong

November 4, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • Chartreuxe

It's on a tray, Clark. ;-p

November 4, 2011 at 4:24 pm |
  31. Amy

I like turkey, especially if it's cooked properly. It just wouldn't be Thanksgiving without it, and I would NEVER consider something else for the day! Christmas is all about turkey and ham, or just ham, but I gotta have turkey at Thanksgiving. We call it Turkey Day!

November 4, 2011 at 12:22 pm |
    • Quid Malborg in Plano TX

In the UK goose was once (and may still be, but I ain't fer sure) the standard meal for X-Mas. Good bird but a bit greasy, but that means one really has to over-cook it to dry it out. Tried it once before and was quite delicious, albeit expensive (I forget how much it is per pound; plan on spending ~$50 for a decent size bird). Cheers!

November 4, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
  32. denim

We use rotisserie chicken, formerly from Kroger and now from Costco. Cheap, easy, AND good. We don't have any leftovers unless we buy two, which we often do.

And what do you mean, "too much turkey"? Whachutalking'bout, Willis?? Unless you're literally drowning in it, there's no such thing as too much poultry!!

November 4, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
  33. Women are ugly

I have an incubator and do my own birds. Next year(January or February) I will start a hatch of about 20 turkeys. Going to be eating my own, home-raised meal on Thanksgiving 2012. Can't wait.

November 4, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • Apocalypse Raider

Myself and my band of slaver/raiders will be looking for your turkey farm. Prepare.

November 6, 2011 at 9:35 am |
  34. Truth

I like to trade off every other year with a nice Kosher Ham.

November 4, 2011 at 12:20 pm |
    • Worf

That's good, old fashioned verbal irony.

November 5, 2011 at 10:57 am |
  35. SixDegrees

I've done turkey dozens of times, all different ways. I'm thinking I might do duck leg confit this time around, just to change things up.

November 4, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  36. pooh_just_is

Yuk, this has got all the markings of:
    1) Greasy
    2) Salty
    3) High Cholesterol
    4) Bad for you
    5) Nasty Looking

Nothing clever about this, just another amateur making a mess of his diet.

You can eat all the junk this you want.

I choose to eat healthy food and I feel and look better, not to mention I might live longer.

The real challenge in cooking today is to create meals that have the following characteristics:
    1) No salt, sugar, or fat added during preparation.
    2) Low fat and salt content to the proteins selected for the meal.
    3) A healthy balance of protein, carbohydrate and minimal fat. (Elimination of animal protein is a plus).
    4) Maintain the nutritional value of the products, (raw preferred with vegetables, of minimal cooking)
    5) But local and in season products.

Feature a cook that can do that and you will have something to write about.

November 4, 2011 at 12:15 pm |
    • WasabiPotPie

Bah humbug, you Communist!

November 4, 2011 at 12:21 pm |
    • Jake

If you take all of those things that you mentioned and put them in a bag together do you know what you would have? A BAG OF SUCK!!! Long live the pig!!!

November 4, 2011 at 12:23 pm |
    • Colin

Yeah, and you're going to die from cancer, or ALS or MS or some other neurodegenerative disease or gut-based cancer thanks to your crap diet. Look up rabbit starvation. Read http://www.archevore.com. Fix your health. Animal fat and protein is not to be demonized. People can cure their diabetes by eating only grass fed meat, rare as possible.

November 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • Hopper

you smell like pooh

November 5, 2011 at 8:28 am |
  37. Vanilla Gorilla

fried turkeys have been a staple for years – jazz it up a bit with various injections
    sake and butter are a favorite have been experimenting with brandy, butter and teriyaki mixtures
    the key to a good fried bird is to rub in thoroughly with peanut oil and warm in the oven prior to frying
    the other protein is going to be a salute to venison – similar to the pork thing – and there will be lots of very thick cut bacon – and several bottles of single malt whisky – from tasmania

November 4, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
  38. AngelaD

I am German and make a goose every Thanksgiving. The hardest part is getting a fresh one in these parts of the world. :-)

November 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
  39. Spendlove

CNN please lose the iReport system and use this article as just one example of badness, this rates next to your iApple and iJobs reporting.

November 4, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
    • Pastor KImmeyourmoney

WTH?

November 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm |
  40. Quid Malborg in Plano TX

"The texture of the "skin" reminds me of objects made from human skin favored by the Nazis. Major gag."

That remark makes you worse than Hitler! (Or does my response make me worse than Hitler?)

/ Godwin's Law

November 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
  41. hurleyslegacy

Pretty bad when you misspell your name that badly.....and may I also offer a good cardiologist? Or how about mortician? ...or how about a good song "I got you Babe" from the original cast of BABE the movie. Ok...I'm kidding. Hold the bacon....and I do mean hold the bacon, I am not picking up anything that is staring at me.....unless it is Johnny Depp.

November 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
  42. St. Bernard

Check out Epic Meal Time's idea: a bird inside of a bird inside of a bird inside of a bird inside of a bird inside of a pig!

November 4, 2011 at 12:03 pm |
    • Aaron L.

LOL I KNEW SUM1 HAD TO POST THIS> YOU SIR ARE THE MAN

November 4, 2011 at 12:24 pm |
  43. Chanda

Uh what's that in the bottom right corner of the last picture??? A Skull and cross bones??? I think I'll stick with the bird!

November 4, 2011 at 11:57 am |
  44. hurleyslegay

...But I don't speak Pig Latin!!!!

November 4, 2011 at 11:55 am |
  45. rms

For smaller households give Capon a try – it is still fowl and you can stuff it – but it is usually more tender than turkey and not so big that a family of two needs to rent freezer space just to store the leftovers.

November 4, 2011 at 11:53 am |
  46. sl

Tried making turkey every which way and combination – brined, roasted, bbq rotisserie, turducken (yuk), until one day I fried it. Been deep-frying a whole turkey every year since. Best ever tasted and always takes less than an hour. Although I've been told that the turkey alone is good enough, I always serve another protein (usually rib roast). Been asked to change it up, so this year it's porterhouse steaks. woohoo. As much as we all love bacon, I dont' think the 'pig' would go over well. Not very aesthetically pleasing. eep.

November 4, 2011 at 11:51 am |
  47. Gumbeaux4ever

Im from New Orleans and its not Thanksgiving without Gumbo. I expect to have Gumbo before anything else.

November 4, 2011 at 11:50 am |
    • Aaron L.

I'm from new orleans too and I agree, but I want to add beef rice dressing. Can't have thanksgiving without it in the south.

You can use beef broth instead of boullion cubes.
      1/4 cup oil
      1/4 cup flour
      1 lb ground chuck
      1 onion, chopped
      1 bell pepper, chopped
      1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
      3 beef bouillon cubes dissolved in 2 cups hot water
      Salt and red pepper
      2 cups cooked rice
      Green onion tops
      Make a roux with the oil and flour. Set aside. Brown ground chuck, onions, bell pepper, parsley flakes, and salt and pepper. Add dissolved bouillon cubes and roux. Stir well and simmer 30 minutes. Mix rice and green onion tops green onion tops into meat mixture and serve.

November 4, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
      • Quid Malborg in Plano TX

Sounds delicious, thanks for sharing that! I do have to say that I am from the broth-before-bouillon camp, and there are many brands of excellent broths available in cartons now. Unless you're one of those folks who keeps the bones from roasts and makes their own- that's really the way to go.

Thanks again!

November 4, 2011 at 12:59 pm |
      • Hopper

That would go great with Turducken, which is what my family has every year since we had it in Louisiana.

November 5, 2011 at 8:31 am |
    • Rev Mike

Know what ya mean but I'm from New Mexico and It isn't Turkey day without a big ol' pot of posole. With fresh , homemade tortillas. I'm gettin' hungry.

November 4, 2011 at 5:54 pm |