T minus 20 – Beyond the bird, a bacon pig
November 4th, 2011

There's only so much turkey a man can take.

iReporter, Grilling.com writer and Smoke in Da Eye competition BBQ chronicler and team member Clint Cantwell found himself having to gobble down waaayyyy too much of the bird. After roasting, deep-frying and smoking three different turkeys for Thanksgiving last year, he needed a bit of a palate cleanser. Naturally, he swung swine-ward.

Cantwell crafted a pig entirely out of pork as a Thanksgiving appetizer. "Pork E. Pigskin," as he was dubbed, had hot links for legs, a sausage body, ham ears, Vienna sausage nose, a pork rind tail and a bacon wrap.

We greatly admire Cantwell's ingenious spirit, but we also sympathize with the man. Though most of us aren't flocking about with multiple birds for a single holiday, turkey can still get a little tedious year after year.

Has that ever driven you to explore other options? Post your most creative alternative solutions - or passionate feelings about traditional poultry - in the comments below and we just might feature them in an upcoming post.

Previously - T minus 21 – Stocking up for the big day and all T minus Thanksgiving coverage

Got a Thanksgiving query or dilemma? Need techniques for roasting turkey or just looking for recipes to bust up your holiday rut? Wanna know what one of our anchors eats for T-Day? We're here to help. Post your question in the comments below and we'll do our best to assist.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bacon • Feature • Holiday • HolidayShopping • iReport • Make • Recipes • T Minus • Tailgating • Thanksgiving • Thanksgiving

1. oneSTARman

Thanks for making me NOT FEEL BAD about Being a Vegetarian at Thanksgiving this year. That BACON PIG made me Remember Why I Don't Eat that Disgusting BURNT DEAD ANIMAL Crap anymore.

November 4, 2011 at 11:49 am |
    • Ghostie

Are you kidding? All that bacon looks amazing. I love burnt animals. They taste great.

November 4, 2011 at 11:58 am |
    • Bobby

Shut up hippie! BACON IS DELICIOUS!!!

November 4, 2011 at 11:58 am |
    • Jake

The self righteous vegetarian couldn't pass up on opportunity to tell everyone how perfect he is. I promise you that pig tastes 10 times better than any tofu or veggie burger that you can muster up. I saw a t-shirt one time that makes me think of you. It read: vegetarian: ancient tribal slang for villiage idiot who cannot hunt or fish. It's fine to be a vegetarian if it makes you happy but nobody reading this really cares, we are happy carnivores.

November 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
    • Aaron L.

The human body is that of an omnivore. Vegans are vitamin deficient. That's why they look sick or discoloured all the time because they are lacking some serious nutrition. Some baby died a few months back in the news because his vegan parents refused to feed him meat. Now they're probably in prison for neglect.

November 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm |
      • zumajim

Vegetarian does not always mean 'vegan'. Lots of vegetarians get their protein from eggs and dairy. I wonder if bacon would be as appealing to meat eaters if they could personally visit the places where it's made, or had to make it themselves for that matter.

November 4, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
      • Katie

Actually, nothing you just said is true. That baby died because the parents were absolute morons, not because they were vegan. Plus, you don't feed meat to a baby anyway so you're actually wrong about why the baby died as well. Also wrong about vitamin deficiency. I am a vegan and I am nowhere near vitamin deficient in any way. And I actually keep track of what vitamins I am consuming, and get regular blood tests to make sure all my levels are okay. I highly doubt most "omnivores", especially people who would eat this weird pig concoction, are that dedicated to their vitamin intake. Idiot.

November 4, 2011 at 12:28 pm |
      • basketcase

@zumajim I don't really care how bacon is made. It tastes good, so I eat it. Same with anything else. Where it comes from or how it's made really doesn't matter if it's yummy.

November 4, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
      • Charlton Heston@basketcase

Ever eaten Soylent Green?
        Heh-heh.

November 4, 2011 at 1:00 pm |
      • Worf

Katie, no one living a healthy life requires "regular blood tests". Sounds like you unconsciously understand what risks you are taking by being unhealthy.

November 5, 2011 at 11:02 am |
    • really

for every portions of meat you skip, we'll eat three times as much

November 4, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
      • zumajim

That is absolute BS, of course.

November 4, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
    • AleeD@ChicagoRob

"... that disgusting burnt dead animal crap at all."

Well for starters, crap is not for eating....
      Explains alot tho'. ;)

November 4, 2011 at 12:54 pm |
      • AleeD@oneSTARman

he ll, s/b @ .... never mind

November 4, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
    • JoeBeer

Ha ha, my food pOOps on your food!

November 4, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
    • Chartreuxe

Well, it's a strange, hasty and difficult meal to eat *living* burnt animals, oneStarman...

November 4, 2011 at 4:29 pm |
  2. Maryanne

I have stayed away from Turkey for many years due to the thoughts of the mass killing of them. They may look and act stupid in people's eyes but they still feel pain and everything else that goes along living on this planet. I don't like the thought of human beings probably enjoying the killing of any animal (don't tell me they don't) I would think a couple of marbles are missing for this to be your job. If they're not missing @ the start there is potential! Bout 2 yrs ago I bought a small turkey for the holiday for my mother's sake and felt terrible. I won't do it again for anyone's sake. I just feel like everybody just gorges themselves @ certain times of the years because "it's a holiday" and the symbolic of it all. What really finished me is when the idiot Sarah Palin was interviewed and in the back round there was a guy shoving a turkey's head in the machine to decapitate it and you see the animal kicking. How disgusting ! BOTH of THEM! Poor turkey

November 4, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • Pastor KImmeyourmoney@Fiona

7,000,000,000 people on the planet now. How do you propose to feed them all?

November 4, 2011 at 11:59 am |
      • Quid Malborg in Plano TX

I don't!

November 4, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • Quid Malborg in Plano TX

So just eat some Tofurkey and be done with it. Or else make some new bean & grain dish you've never tried before. Indian and Middle Eastern cuisine has provided a boundless territory for my own culinary explorations!

And there's always groat cakes (heavy on the 30-weight), Laughing Cow cheese, maraschino cherries, mescaline...

November 4, 2011 at 12:01 pm |
    • Jake

Awww, the bleeding heart liberal!!! That is so cute. I guess you never stopped to think that every animal that we eat meets this same fate. Slaughtering of animals is not a pretty thing and that is why it is not celebrated. But whether a hunter butchers his catch or the Tyson company rips the head off of turkeys, they all meet the same end. So what if we didnt have Thanksgiving, everybody still has to eat. They would eat chicken, or beef or fish and those animals are slaughtered as well. You position makes no sense.

November 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
  3. Jordan

I'm actually kinda disgusted. I like pork and bacon and meat in general, but this kinda pushes me the other way.

November 4, 2011 at 11:48 am |
    • Marla

That was my thought exactly!

November 4, 2011 at 12:55 pm |
  4. Mohamet

We should start dropping these on the Taliban.

November 4, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • Laurie

LMAO!!!

November 4, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • mike

awesome!

November 4, 2011 at 12:34 pm |
  5. choperena

I really love turkey, but don't care what gets served at the holiday meal. I have no qualms with preparing a turkey at any other point throughout the year.

November 4, 2011 at 11:47 am |
    • choperena

Oh! And the piggy looks yummy, but might benefit from some ingredient modifications.

November 4, 2011 at 11:48 am |
  6. Lila

That is just nasty and too early in the morning to look at. Could care less about the turkey but I usually brine the breast for others. The sides with sweet potato and pumpkin pie make me happy.

November 4, 2011 at 11:42 am |
  7. ChicagoRob

Turgooduccochiqua...google it yummy

November 4, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • AleeD@ChicagoRob

All that AND a side of bacon?! yum-freakin'-ee!
      Shall I bring the white or the red wine? Pfft, I'll bring a case of both!

November 4, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  8. Blurkey

While the dark meat is almost palatable if smothered in gravy, I pretty much would eat any other meat before I pick Turkey. And when I'm momma and I get to make Thanksgiving dinner, there won't be a turkey in sight. For now, though...I just eat lots of sides and have a small serving of Turkey to see if it was any better than the last time (so far, no).

November 4, 2011 at 11:40 am |
    • ChicagoRob

use a brine..makes the white meat taste like dark meat and the dark meat heavenly..oh and don't overcook the thing like all our parents/grandparent do.....I mean seriously 8-10 hours for a 20 lb turkey..what where you thinking granny????????

November 4, 2011 at 11:44 am |
  9. sdincle

Growing up, it was turkey and ham at Thanksgiving. Once my husband's family joined our family, it's now turkey and duck (and sometimes ham and sausages). We are definitely thankful for our meat!

November 4, 2011 at 11:38 am |
  10. Elizabeth

We have had turkey sometimes (pomegranate glazed, citrus scented turkey and the like – NEVER "just" bird!) - but it's not a requirement for my household. We have had standing rib roast (yum!), amazing T-bone steaks, a vegetarian pizza rustica from the Vegetarian Epicure cookbook, and a host of other amazing foods.

The real "point" of thanksgiving is, for me, taking time to appreciate the many blessings and good people in my life - I try to do this every day, but Thanksgiving Day is the "official" you-will-formally-acknowledge-these day. The food is nice as a way to call a bunch of those wonderful people together, but it's very important to me that the dinner not obscure the reason for the day. That's a major reason why I try not to get too stuck on one menu that is repeated every year so that it becomes the focus. I LOVE Thanksgiving Day, mostly because I do get to spend it with my favorite people.

November 4, 2011 at 11:38 am |
  11. Alex

Gross.

November 4, 2011 at 11:36 am |
  12. Buster Bloodvessel

That thing looks like a heart attack waiting to jump on somebody. My BP went up just looking at the pictures.

November 4, 2011 at 11:36 am |
  13. AnimalsEatPeople

Lol....It's very hard to feel empathy for a person's sad state of health when they knowingly and willfully go out of their way to eat like this picture (substitute seasoning for bad humor and taste as depicted here) suggest. Watch the award winning 2011 documentary "Forks Over Knives" and you'll see why the animals are eating people as fast as people are eating them with Cancer, Diabetes and Heart Disease, and of course, along with U.S. Obesity rates in adults AND children growing exponentially each year. It would be a more ironic photo opportunity if it depicted a human's body covered in diseases from eating the pig. If you enjoy eating meat that is diseased and then tainted with antibiotics in order to just get the animal to processing still alive, then go ahead...afterall, it's your health in the end....or not.

November 4, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • Jake

So in your mind, the diseased meat should not be eaten even though when cooked to guidelines, any pathogens would be eliminated. That makes a ton of sense. I bet more people have died eating cantelope in the past ten years then eating steak.

November 4, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Chartreuxe

No one asked you for sympathy.

November 4, 2011 at 4:31 pm |
  14. Jacinta

My husband and I aren't big fans of turkey. We do Ham for Christmas so our tradition has become to grill ribeyes and serve that with King Crab legs. Its our favorite meal so we have been doing that for the last 8 years.

November 4, 2011 at 11:33 am |
  15. Rachel

My favorite Thanksgiving is still the year my husband and I snuck out of my sister's home right before the meal and went to a Chinese Restaurant, then a movie. Sometimes ya just gotta take a hard left off of the road of Family Tradition.

November 4, 2011 at 11:31 am |
    • Jerv

Why did you sneak out? Was the family fighting or something?

November 4, 2011 at 11:33 am |
    • Elizabeth

Awesome! My husband and I did this at Christmas time – our first Christmas together, we were in LA, and we'd been inundated with his various family parts for days (difficult!). We slipped out and took the rental car for a drive to the beach - Then we went out for Thai food together. It was beautiful.

November 4, 2011 at 11:42 am |
      • ChicagoRob

being a Canadian..saying Christmas and going to the beach in the same paragraph is just sooo wrong

November 4, 2011 at 11:45 am |
    • AleeD@

You and your hubby rock! I love my family and all, but sometimes you just have to run like the wind .... !

November 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  16. WWRRD

Tried serving something else one time and I have gotten a raft of S**T over it ever since and that was 20 years ago. I try to serve some interesting sides or maybe just a small turkey and an alternative main course.

November 4, 2011 at 11:31 am |
  17. EPIC MEALTIME!

EPIC MEALTIME! BACON STRIPS... BACON STRIPS... A DEEP FRIED!!!

November 4, 2011 at 11:30 am |
  18. Kim

Bison roast and venison steaks (or venison stew if the weather is really bad). the turkey is there, but it isn't the centerpiece. One year we made pizza: 5 meats, 6 cheeses, 4 veggies and served with microbrews.

November 4, 2011 at 11:29 am |
    • Fiddle thumbs

Daaayyuum, I'm hanging out at Kims pad. I bet that pizza was awesome.

November 4, 2011 at 11:31 am |
    • WWRRD

Can I come over?

November 4, 2011 at 11:32 am |
    • ChicagoRob

make the venison into sausage and add it to your stuffing..also venison summer sausage and cheese tray..your good to go

November 4, 2011 at 11:32 am |
    • Quid Malborg in Plano TX

Bison roast and venison steak sounds/tastes good any time of the year, IMNSHO! But considering how pricey they can be for me (not a hunter, so no venison in the freezer) special occasions are warranted. I've always wanted to try ground venison chili, a la LBJ, but have to make do with either ground bison or, to keep my response topical, ground dark turkey. Delicious either way!

Damn, now I'm really hungry, and it's getting near lunchtime...

November 4, 2011 at 11:37 am |
    • Elizabeth

YUM! Maybe we'll make pizza this year...

November 4, 2011 at 11:43 am |
  19. teamom

My kids grew up outside of the US. Elswhere, american Thanksgiving is not celebrated, but by ex-Pats. Though we had the best turkeys in the world available, the essence cooking it for the holiday came in, at best, second best.
    Being a frugal mother, yet still wanting to impart a sense of tradition, I cooked for my family a) what they actually would eat, and b) as close to the Ami tradition that I could. Turkey does not, for me, define the holiday. Attitude does.
    Sage & celery buns are traditional for my family. My kids could care less about turkey, though my daughter does want goose with red cabbage and dumplings for Christmas. We can follow the "rules", but forge our own paths.

November 4, 2011 at 11:28 am |
  20. ChicagoRob

Honey brined turkey and a spiral sliced ham...mashed potatoes with celery root..and dressing(not stuffing.. keep it out of the birds crotch..barf!) but it all falls to the wayside when it comes to the PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 4, 2011 at 11:28 am |
  21. Cracker

I love turkey, smoked, deep fried or roasted, but I eat it year round so it's not just a holiday thing. I have done lobster, and thick ribeye steaks for Thanks giving. Also the deep fried prime-rib was a big hit. I might have to make the little bacon pig this year, as we all know "pork fat rules".

November 4, 2011 at 11:25 am |
  22. Jenn

i like turkey, but have been dying to try a turducken for like forever!!! BTW, that bacon pig gives me a stroke just looking at it!

November 4, 2011 at 11:23 am |
    • ChicagoRob

actually turduken is over-rated..everything just tastes like duck. I don't mind duck but better off just eating the duck

November 4, 2011 at 11:26 am |
    • Buster Bloodvessel

I ain't eatin' anything that has the word 'turd' embedded in it along with a duck.

November 4, 2011 at 11:38 am |
      • Pastor KImmeyourmoney@Buster Bloodvessel

LMAO! You and me both!

November 4, 2011 at 11:40 am |
  23. Elen

I could skip the turkey except for two important reasons. First, one of my favorite dishes is stuffing cooked inside the bird. And the other is that the turkey drippings and giblets form the base for our family gravy recipe. We make a lot of gravy.

November 4, 2011 at 11:20 am |
    • Diddly do right not Dudley do right

I know, right? Lots and lots of graaavvvvyy!

November 4, 2011 at 11:24 am |
  24. drsolo

I dont like turkey. Nice slow roasted pork or beef is so much tastier.

November 4, 2011 at 11:19 am |
    • ChicagoRob

true..but you eat that 373 days of the year..leave turkey for thanksgiving and Christmas....rest of the year..bring on the Brisket!!!!!

November 4, 2011 at 11:30 am |
      • Safetyfirst

It's not Christmas without ham. Turkey can have one day.

November 4, 2011 at 11:33 am |
      • El Danno

the other 373 days a year? Where is this planet you call home?

November 4, 2011 at 11:55 am |
      • ChicagoRob

lol gueess got to exited about the bacon and slipped a key..hahahahah

November 4, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
      • Katie@El Danno

I'm laughing so hard at my desk right now that my boss came and asked me what was so funny. Hilarious!

November 4, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
  25. Scott

Oh HELL yes!

November 4, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  26. Ray

pretty disgusting!

November 4, 2011 at 11:15 am |
  27. vegemite

At my thanksgiving I laways enjoy a delicious vegetarian dinner. no need to kill any animal just for pleasure.

November 4, 2011 at 11:04 am |
    • Jerv

I had a tofu "turkey" one year that was pretty darn good.

November 4, 2011 at 11:07 am |
      • AleeD@Jerv

Did it look like this one?
        Biggest laugh I had in a long time.

November 4, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
      • Jerv@AleeD

Hahahaha! Hilarious! No, actually it was more like a loaf.

November 4, 2011 at 12:44 pm |
    • IThinkImMe

So, according to vegan logic, it's ok to kill helpless plants, fruits and vegetables, but not animals? Everything dies, might as well make something tasty out of it.

November 4, 2011 at 11:17 am |
    • Fiona

ditto. I've tried to explain the relatives that it's difficult for a vegetarian to participate in a feast where the center of attention is a giant, dead (genetically malformed) bird. They always say there will be lots of vegetables I can eat, but that misses the point ...and then, of course, what passes for vegetables in the typical American Thanksgiving meal is usually cooked-to-death glop. Even back when I ate meat the Thanksgiving gorge fest was repulsive to me. I will be having a light and healthy, vegetarian, grain-based dish this year. We usually incorporate the real traditional foods - corn and squash.

November 4, 2011 at 11:17 am |
    • ChicagoRob

trust me your vegetable crops kill as much if not more wildlife then that turkey..of course it is always funny that vegetarians actually kill the cute fluffy ones that live in the wild..at least us meat eaters grwo our animals for one reason..to eat them.....you guys just pay farmers to chop up the little furry bunny rabbit babies in their sweet little burrows..you monsters!!!!!!

November 4, 2011 at 11:23 am |
    • Andrew

Fiona, are you saying you are uncomfortable going to Thanksgiving feasts because you're a vegetarian...? Do you expect everyone else to change their diet and tradition for your comfort, or do you just avoid socializing with meat eaters?

November 4, 2011 at 11:24 am |
    • JuLowe Hinty

It has also been scientifically proven, and the data confirmed, that plants have feelings both of positive and negative. Plants have fear responses as well. It is time for you vegetarians to open minds and evolve. Life feeds on Life. PERIOD.

November 4, 2011 at 11:31 am |
      • ChicagoRob

geeze JuLowe..i was about to go cut my lawn..wtf..that's got to terrify the little grass......

November 4, 2011 at 11:34 am |
      • Pastor KImmeyourmoney

Hmm, never heard of that. Gotta google that on the internets and see what I see.

November 4, 2011 at 11:36 am |
    • Michael

Have you ever heard a carrot scream when you grated it? Not a pretty sound.

November 4, 2011 at 11:34 am |
      • Jokersmoker

I couldn't hear it over my own screaming when I scraped my knuckles on the grater.

November 4, 2011 at 11:57 am |
    • Fiona

Oh, Andrew, put a cork in it. I decline invitations to meat fests because the sight and smell of meat (and the gluttons scarfing it down) makes me gag. What the hel* would I expect anyone to change their eating habits to suit my tastes? You are assigning your own selfish mode of thinking to me. My point is that meat people just don't get how repulsive the standard Thanksgiving meal is for a true vegetarian or vegan. The smells, the sounds, the gluttony. The joy of sharing a meal together with family. In my long experience that is more Hallmark-card fiction than fact. There is a reason so many movies have been made about disastrous holiday gatherings. Tension and turkey. Yum, yum.

November 4, 2011 at 11:38 am |
      • Pastor KImmeyourmoney@Fiona

Vegetarians and vegans can be gluttons too. Just sayin'

November 4, 2011 at 11:44 am |
      • ChicagoRob

man you must be the life of these family meals.......staring with your hatefilled eyes on your "gluttunous" relatives with all their disgusting chewing and slurping.....seriously i hate broccolli but you don't see me glancing disgust at people when they eat it.
        now perhaps your family lacks basic table manners and that is your problem..but most of us civilized meat eaters slowly chew and eat our our animals..while picturing them alive and screaming in our minds.......mmmmmmmm squeel little piggy..

November 4, 2011 at 11:52 am |
      • Elizabeth

LOL! You are so right. It is disgusting to watch people overeat because "that's what Thanksgiving is for." (My brother's theory...) It is NOT what it is for in MY estimation.

I have meat eaters in my household, though I am predominantly veg (for 29 years though not vegan). I cook meat dishes for others; it doesn't bother me at all (a legacy of living in the "third world" with significant food insecurity in my 20s). I would never presume that others would change their diets to match mine, though I have often served vegetarian food - yes, even at Thanksgiving. My meat guys have not even noticed there wasn't meat when I've done it. :-)

Gluttony and the fake "Aren't-we-a-happy-and-thankful-family?-Be-nice." holiday celebrations are the PITS. Funny in comedies – NOT in real life. I'm with you on this one.

November 4, 2011 at 11:56 am |
      • MalaDee@Fiona

"... how repulsive the standard Thanksgiving meal is for a true vegetarian or vegan."
        Sounds like you're saying that vegetarians & vegans not repulsed by the standard Thanksgiving meal aren't true vegs. Bet you're drinking the wrong kool-aid on that front.

November 4, 2011 at 12:18 pm |
    • Carnitarian

"Delicious vegetarian dinner"? From my point of view, that is just oxy-moronic. Meat is Murder? Yes. Tasty, tasty murder.

November 4, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • Down on the Farm...

Save a Cow....Eat a Vegetarian

November 4, 2011 at 11:56 am |
    • Quid Malborg in Plano TX

But spare me the vegmite/marmite!

November 4, 2011 at 12:05 pm |
  28. JEN

IF LAS VEGAS ALLOWED ME TO BET, I COULD MAKE A LOT OF MONEY. MY BET IS ,THIS PERSON RECIPE BELONG TO A FAT AS=

November 4, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • Jerv

My bet would be that you never made it past first grade to learn where the Caps Lock is.

November 4, 2011 at 11:09 am |
    • ChicagoRob

my bet is he wasn't jewish

November 4, 2011 at 11:24 am |
      • Elizabeth

Or if he is, he's VERY Reform...

November 4, 2011 at 11:58 am |
  29. bsgfan

I have been enjoying Turduckens the past few Thanksgiving holidays. The variety is awesome!

November 4, 2011 at 11:01 am |
  30. Godzilla

Some Pig, but not as cool as the TurBacon on Epic Meal Time:

November 4, 2011 at 10:57 am |
    • hehaw

Filthy disgusting monster gluttons.

November 4, 2011 at 11:04 am |
  31. Feast of Beast

Jeezus Chryst people, ever hear of roast beef? Pretty scary to see that greater than 70% of you think that you have to have some nasty turkey every year. If you're going to go to all the trouble, eat what you want!

November 4, 2011 at 10:55 am |
    • Bob

I guess people want Turkey, genius.

November 4, 2011 at 11:06 am |
    • Stats Patrol

70%? Source please.

November 4, 2011 at 11:10 am |
      • Brian

Just a guess, but I'm going to assume it's the sum of the first three pro-turkey categories in the poll attached to the very article you supposedly read.

November 4, 2011 at 11:17 am |
      • Silly patrol

See the article above where they have all those stats? right there.

November 4, 2011 at 11:21 am |
      • Stats Patrol@Brian

Pull over and sign this ticket for not having a sense of humor. Yes I read it. Move along now. That is all.

November 4, 2011 at 11:21 am |
      • Brian

Calling someone out about stats has nothing to do with humor. Snarky begets snarky.

November 4, 2011 at 11:26 am |
      • Stats Patrol@Brian

Second offense gets you Eatocracy time out. Move along now. That is all.

November 4, 2011 at 11:27 am |
  32. Sheila

I have never liked Turkey, Ham, mashed potatoes, cranberries, stuffing, gravey or any of the stuff assosiatied with Thanksgiving. Besides its really about just being thankful and celebrating with family & Friends, which seems to be what everyone else in the family insists on having. So they have their FOWL or PIG and I have Lobster or King Crab Legs with either Filet Mignon or Prime Rib and everyone looks at my plate and askes for a bite.

November 4, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • Feast of Beast

Heh, now that's the way to do it! Too many "turkey-slaves" on here. :)

November 4, 2011 at 10:56 am |
  33. belladonna

My family almost always does turkey for Thanksgiving, unless it's a small group (three or less), then we do cornish hens. Pork is saved for the Big Day: Christmas! We have ALWAYS done a Christmas ham (salt cured, Dad's fav). Christmas is never a formal meal – we pop the pig in the oven around midnight and cook it slow, wake up to the whole house smelling wonderful (and we always left ham sandwiches and beer for Santa; Dad swore he was sick of milk and cookes by the time he got to our house.) Then we just munch on ham and the other goodies for the rest of the day. Thanksgiving is the (only) formal meal of the year, all the trimmings and Mom's awesome totally from scratch cornbread dressing!

November 4, 2011 at 10:49 am |
    • har-de-har-har

"we always left ham sandwiches and beer for Santa; Dad swore he was sick of milk and cookes by the time he got to our house." Haha! That's the best. Thanks for sharing!

November 4, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • Jeremy

"we always left ham sandwiches and beer for Santa; Dad swore he was sick of milk and cookes by the time he got to our house." That's awesome. Maybe I can get my son to start a tradition of ham sandwiches and beer for me, I mean, Santa. :D

November 4, 2011 at 11:23 am |
  34. Ed

I hate turkey. If possible, I have duck or goose on holidays.

November 4, 2011 at 10:37 am |
  35. Elaine Connelly

Some of the posters on this particular column must be "mentally challenged" or else they are trying to be funny. But they are not. I am of Czech descent. We almost never had Turkey, we had Duck, Goose, or game. Thanksgiving is about giving thanks for living in this great country. If some of you are so callous that you think you have to be cutesy about family customs....then God help us. What a bunch of nitwits.

November 4, 2011 at 10:37 am |
    • har-de-har-har

blah- blah- blah- blah -blah- I'm -a -nitwit- blah- blah- blah- blah- blah

November 4, 2011 at 10:43 am |
    • MalaDee@Elaine C

callous: unfeeling – insensitive – heartless – hard. Huh?
      Where is it written that Thanksgiving has to be a solemn occasion? Many family traditions across America are forged in humor. As far as the comments here, what is so offensive about people being in a good mood and expressing it in silly ways? They're having fun, killjoy. Get a grip.
      Since it sounds like your sense of humor was relocated to your a$$, go find someone to give it a good swift kick so it'll re-lodge itself in your heart where it belongs. And have an ice day.

November 4, 2011 at 11:00 am |
      • PorkyDaPig

@Maladee. you just made my Day !!!! Thank you for the laugh..

November 4, 2011 at 11:35 am |
    • dnfromge

For my family, Thanksgiving is about sharing, celebrating and giving thanks for family, friends and a good life. We have many family traditions that we enjoy together, it's part of getting together – and yes, sometimes the traditions are silly – but who cares?!?! Not sure what your problem is, but lighten up!!

November 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
    • Clark Nova

And here I thought Thanksgiving was all about being glad that we lifted the native cuisine off the Indians before we slaughtered 95% of them.

November 5, 2011 at 4:14 pm |
  36. bristoltwit palin...America's favorite dancing cow

Mmmmmmm.... bacon

November 4, 2011 at 10:25 am |
    • bristoltwit palin...America's favorite dancing cow

... snort, drool ...

November 4, 2011 at 10:27 am |
      • diddly-do-do

That's exactly how that heifer sounds when she stuffs that fat piehole of hers.

November 4, 2011 at 10:29 am |
  37. Sharon

Cornish hens or crown roast.

November 4, 2011 at 10:16 am |
  38. Pedro

Here's a best of both worlds solution, my mother-in-law taught us to wrap the turkey in bacon and roast the bird that way. Although you don't get crispy skin, you will get the most amazingly moist turkey ever. And the best, we peel the bacon off the turkey when its done and serve it as an appetizer. Not to mention how wonderful the house smells. Try it, you'll love it!

November 4, 2011 at 10:15 am |
    • Sharon

If you put slices of salt pork instead of bacon on the turkey and cover with wet mesh and foil you get crispy skin and super moist turkey – even the breast. Also, it is not as salty as bacon.

November 4, 2011 at 10:20 am |
    • AleeD@Sharon

What an awesome idea. Thank you!

November 4, 2011 at 11:01 am |
    • Seveb

Care to share the recipe, or does it vary from year to year?

November 4, 2011 at 11:02 am |
      • Elizabeth

Do you need more than the description given? Yikes!

November 4, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • ChicagoRob

don't do it!!!!! bacon tastes like crap if eaten off any poultry..cook it that way..remove bacon for last 45 minutes skin will brown...please don't eat that bacon it will be the worst bacon you have ever eaten.

if need be cook up a seperate side of bacon.but please don't eat the turket infused bacon..you will regret it

November 4, 2011 at 11:38 am |
      • Pedro

The only regrets we have ever gotten were from my nephew who got stuck in traffic and couldn't dive into the bowl of very crsip and tasty bacon. We actually do cook up a very small side of bacon just to keep the peace.

November 4, 2011 at 11:48 am |
  39. Martini

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Turkey! But the last 4 years that my fiance and I have been together he tries to talk me into cooking something else. I of course refuse because I've finally perfected cooking a perfectly juicy bird no matter the size and everyone including him rave over the tryptogoodness everytime I make it. So we have a compromise: He makes his amazingly delicious ham in addition to the turkey and and everyone is happy!

November 4, 2011 at 10:13 am |
    • Clark Nova

Fiance for four years and he still hasn't married you? I guess you really do love turkies.

November 5, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  40. JBK

We always have turkey AND a pork product so you get the best of both worlds.

November 4, 2011 at 10:13 am |
  41. Heather

since it was just Mom and me growing up, a whole turkey would have been a huge overkill. So we started our own tradition instead, crab sauce and raviolli and/or spaghetti, and we'd see whatever new James Bond movie had come out (since they always seem to come out around Thanksgiving), if no new Bond was available we'd see some other action flick. it's great and i miss doing that sometimes!

November 4, 2011 at 10:09 am |
  42. JKT10

We have a crown pork roast – its delicious and simple to make. Thanksgiving is always a blend of flavors for my family – we have vegetarians, vegans, meat eaters, and a mix of everything so we serve lots of different dishes. Its my favorite holiday.... yum!

November 4, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  43. DALTX

One year, it was just going to be the two of us. We opted to go to a movie then came home and cooked two Swanson Hungry Man Turkey TV Dinners. By far, not the best Thanksgiving meal we ever had, but it was fun. What made the meal memorable was that the cleanup took less than a minute!

November 4, 2011 at 9:44 am |
  44. Jorge

Typical American solution to meager cooking skills, a coronary obstruction bomb if I ever saw one. When I was 17 years old my abuela taught me to fix and cook a turkey so tender and juicy, you can shake the meat off the bone, and I'm a man. You can fix a turkey to taste like smoked ham, beef, oregano-pepper or any combination of herbs that you've heard of, it's not exactly rocket science. Every year my Texas son-in-law sends me two plane tickets for Thanksgiving and puts us up for a week, just so I can do the turkey and stuffing at his house for the big bash. Turkey is much better for you than a fake processed-meat pig. Learn to cook, folks.

November 4, 2011 at 9:39 am |
    • Ned Flanders

Jorge, do you think you could show just the slightest bit of reverence?

November 4, 2011 at 10:28 am |
      • @Ned Flanders

He can't, especially when he posts as Justadude

November 4, 2011 at 10:30 am |
    • Dankster

Georgie, your ignorance is staggering. And your hatred towards America and Americans is showing. Go cook some rice and beans instead.

Clint Cantwell is a competion-winning cook. You know, the kind of cooking that was perfected by Americans in the South. Known as BBQ. I guess making a taco and torta are haute cuisine in your cabeza, huh? Jack donkey.

November 4, 2011 at 11:36 am |
      • Clark Nova

Your reply strongly resembles one that an arrogant, jingoist, racist twit might make.

November 5, 2011 at 4:06 pm |
    • dnfromge

I'm American and can and have cooked fabulous turkeys, or so I have been told. I just don't care for turkey (or poultry in general) and don't eat it myself. This year I'm doing a beef tenderloin because I cannot bear another turkey. I do have to make the traditional stuffing, or the family would kill me, so I'll have to buy some poultry to make homemade stock as that is what truly makes the stuffing!

November 4, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  45. Monger(as in fish)

One year my mother cut the drumsticks off the turkey before it was roasted. Her reasoning was that no one ate the drumsticks anyway. The resulting 'bird' was visually so depressing that we spent the entire meal complaining that the turkey didn't taste right, My brother went so far as to put a blindfold on "so I don't have to look at the sacrilege." My poor mother was nearly in tears by the end of the meal and of course then we all felt bad. It took us the rest of the day to atone for our bratty behavior but to this day, someone always remembers to mention the "year of the legless turkey" during Thanksgiving dinner. We all have a good laugh about it.

November 4, 2011 at 9:38 am |
    • Jerv

Hahaha! Thanks for sharing!

fish-monger??

November 4, 2011 at 9:40 am |
      • Ned Flanders

Well, I can't say for sure, but as a Christian, I assume the worst.

November 4, 2011 at 10:27 am |
  46. Loopman

Yea, Yea, Yea...Turkey is the "traditional" meat for T Day, but I've fixed rabbit, goose, duck, ham and even some vegan dishes for T Day and noone complained at all. Over the years, I've found that it's not about what you fix. It's about who shows up to share it with. This is a family holiday, so as long as you are sharing your fixin's with your family and/or some very close friends then the "bacon pig" above is as apporpriate as anything else you might want to fix.

November 4, 2011 at 9:38 am |
    • Jorge

Mmmmm, rabbit fricasee with beer, bay leaves, shallots, baby carrots and snow peas, roast goose with a garlic butter basting and stuffed with dirty wild rice, ham cooked in wine, pineapple juice and Frangelico, peppered with cloves...

November 4, 2011 at 9:50 am |
  47. AleeD

It's not my favorite, but it's tradition. It's me hubby's favorite, so it's what we have.
    I don't care what we have as long as the family gets together.

November 4, 2011 at 9:35 am |
  48. Charles

MMMMMMM bacon!

November 4, 2011 at 9:31 am |
    • Ned Flanders

Homer!? Well, hi diddly ho neighborino!

November 4, 2011 at 10:34 am |
  49. Diana

That looks....... really good and really gross at the same time. Maybe it's the whole trying to make it look like a real pig that kind of freaks me out haha

I don't see what the problem is though.... if you want turkey AND a pig, get both. At my Thanksgivings we always have turkey, honey baked ham, and sometimes a goose. Oh and always a lasagna or baked ziti for our Italian family traditional touch. Needless to say we have leftovers... mmm

November 4, 2011 at 9:23 am |
    • Fiona

I think the freakiest thing is that it has eyes. Well, that and the expressive angle of the ears.

November 4, 2011 at 11:27 am |
      • Quid Malborg in Plano TX

(since my first response was mis-directed):

"The texture of the "skin" reminds me of objects made from human skin favored by the Nazis. Major gag."

That remark makes you worse than Hitler! (Or does my response make me worse than Hitler?)

/ Godwin's Law

November 4, 2011 at 12:06 pm |
      • Gozer the Gozerian

You seriously make a habit of checking out items that Nazis made out of human skin? And you call this picture "major gag?" Might wanna check out your hobbies, first.

November 6, 2011 at 11:13 am |
      • Carnivore

Well pigs do have a lot in common with humans... people probably even taste like pork... wonder what human bacon tastes like?

November 9, 2011 at 6:56 am |