How I kicked my Coke habit
September 28th, 2011

Holy crap, did I used to drink a lot of Diet Coke. Not just a can or two at lunch and one with dinner. Not just a pick-me-up in the afternoon or the tail end of a droopy morning. More like two liters a day at the very minimum - sometimes four.

Had the end times come and yea and verily the East and Hudson rivers risen up and swallowed New York, I could have easily lashed together a raft of the empty plastic bottles I'd amassed in my recycling bin since the last trash day. First port of call: wherever they're keeping the rest of the Diet Coke. And I'd probably have to fight for it.

I can spot a Diet Coke addict from across the room. At the first sip of one freshly poured or popped, there's a barely perceptible sigh and slump; their itch has been scratched.

A casual drinker will simply slug, quench and continue about their normal activities, but the Diet Coke freak cannot be so nonchalant. They'll pause for a moment, sinking in and surrendering to the sweet fizz. Then comes the surreptitious scan of the premises to ensure there's easy access to more.

For many, it's less enjoyment than appeasement of a bubble-hungry little beast within. It's a physical need with definite emotional underpinnings, bordering on addiction. While the root causes of that are a matter of great debate among healthcare professionals who claim it's tied to everything from caffeine dependence to chasing an ever-elusive high triggered but not satisfied by artificial sweeteners like the aspartame in my precious Diet Coke, that meant jack to me over the course of the twenty or so years I spent trying to kick the habit.

Frankly, I didn't care to give much mind to experts, friends and partners who suggested I cut back a tad, citing expense, lack of storage space, late-night convenience store pilgrimages and (in an anonymous, locally-postmarked letter later traced back to my roommate) concern over "Where does the caramel coloring go?"

One boyfriend went so far as to ask me, on the eve of our anniversary meal at a high-end Manhattan restaurant, "Would you mind not ordering a Diet Coke at dinner tomorrow night?" I refrained from ordering one (not on his account, but because I opted for the restaurant's notable wine pairings), but not from pointing out the tables around us with Diet Cokes upon them. There, it came in small glass bottles for fanciness' sake. I was clearly not alone in my obsession.

We take care of each other, the Diet Coke addicts of the world. My grad school roommate and I had an unspoken pact that even if we were running late to campus in the morning, we'd take five minutes to stop off at the local convenience store and stock up for the day - me with a well-iced fountain cup and her with a two-liter that she'd swig from throughout the day, even after it reached room temperature. Gross, but her devotion paid off; she married the cashier who sold us our fix every day.

After that came a boss whose office I dared not enter for a long meeting unless I came bearing a cold bottle for her, a friend who'd also show up at parties with the requisite wine for the host - along with a two liter of Diet Coke for her own personal consumption, and my now-husband who I adored on his own merits, but even more when he started stocking Diet Coke for me in his own fridge. Bad habits appreciate the heck out of company - and I'd justify it by noting that I didn't smoke, drink to excess, do drugs or bungee jump - but it was time to quit.

It was, in fact, quitting time for a long time. I was sick to death of the expense, the hauling of bottles, the financial support of a company with which I had some serious ethical issues and perhaps more than anything, the feeling that I had no control over this particular area of my life.

It seems like such an insignificant thing, but there's an inherent anxiety to any addiction. I wasn't going to go all foamy-mouthed and twitchy on the floor, but I felt tremendous stress if I didn't know there was another bottle or can close at hand. If I knew I'd be staying over, I'd show up at a friend or boyfriend's home with a supply so I'd be assured a cold one in the morning, and keep bottles stashed in office desk drawers just in case the vending machine ran out.

My attempts to quit were a running joke with friends, but truly, it hurt - both physically and psychically. I shook and worried and my head pounded. I'm an exceptionally friendly person (or at least I try to be), but I was crabby and short with people I love and I'm convinced it wasn't just the caffeine. That, I could get anywhere. There is something specifically in Diet Coke that pushes buttons in me that others might simply be missing. Lucky them; this was humiliating.

And then the Sodastream happened. I'd wanted this magical machine for ages, but couldn't justify the counter space or the purchase price. It is simply a carbonation device - screw a specially fitted bottle of plain tap water onto a nozzle, press a button, and release. Some people choose to augment the water with flavored syrups, but as it turns out, I'm a purist. Who'd have guessed?

My husband presented me with one of these for Christmas, and I appreciated the novelty. It makes a comical little honking sound upon operation, and one can opt for everything from a mild sparkle to a riotous, nose-tickling rush of bubbles. I began drinking a glass or two of carbonated water a day, then three or four or more and it wasn't until I tripped over an unopened bottle of Diet Coke on the kitchen floor one day that I realized I hadn't bought any for weeks.

I have no idea how I was released from diet cola's hold, but I opt for seltzer or water in or out of the house every time now. I haven't supplanted the caffeine or the sweetness with anything else, and the most I'll adulterate the sparkling water is by adding a dash or two of Fee Brothers peach or celery flavored bitters or a dash of Tabasco sauce, because I have really odd flavor issues. I'll chalk it up to a fizz addiction which is - lame, I admit, but I'll take it.

Tallied up, that's a savings of (with New York City pricing) $850 a year at the very low end of an estimate and a cool grand or more if we're figuring in taxes and bottle deposit - not to mention the 400 or more plastic and metal containers I'm no longer chucking willy-nilly at the planet. That's pretty darned cool to me.

I certainly don't mind if folks around me are having a Diet Coke and a smile. I just won't be chilling out with them - for now.

1. Scott H

This article is a mess. I thought it would have some scientific merit, and is more of a comedy dissertation, and anything but science. "Yay for the author not throwing bottles in the trash to hurt the environment." ????

September 28, 2011 at 4:08 pm |
    • Jase

Scott- You're a mess. Don't read it if you don't like you d0uchebag.

September 28, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
  2. TexasGal

My dad used to be a diet coke addict, and the aspartame was giving him melon-splitting migraines (IDK if he was allergic or what.) But once he quit drinking coke altogether his blood pressure has greatly improved and he doesnt get those headaches anymore, (and it hasnt done his waistline any harm either ;-))

September 28, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • P69

did he just start snorting it instead?

September 28, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • Margaritta Steward

so, did he blow his coke habit?

September 28, 2011 at 5:53 pm |
  3. Hungry Tummy

I too am kicking my Dt. Coke addiction with a new found love for carbonated water (who knew that I really was in love with the bubbles more than anything?!). I haven't tried the soda stream, but I am seriously in love with La Croix's Grapefruit carbonated water – no sodium, no sweetener, no calories. Love it!

September 28, 2011 at 4:00 pm |
  4. Bill

I don't drink diet anything. I mean, what the hell is "aspertame" anyway? I figure it's just a matter of time before medical science comes to the conclusion that it is damaging to your body in one way or another.

September 28, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
    • Descartes

"Aspartame is a combination of two amino acids joined together. The amino acids are Aspartic acid and Phenylalanine."

"... known by the trade name NutraSweet – an artificial sweetener. Certain people should avoid products that contain Aspartame. They are people who cannot metabolize the amino acid Phenylalanine, which is an ingredient in aspartame; and people who are susceptible to headaches."

I learned something from this, too. It explains why I don't get headaches from drinking DC because I don't have any amino acid issues. Thanks for the query Bill.

September 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
      • Aspartame is the fecal matter of e-coli

You are here as a disinformation agent.

September 29, 2011 at 7:54 am |
      • Descartes@Azz Partame

I'm siting sources. What have you got? The ability to form sentences. Score for you.

September 29, 2011 at 9:30 am |
  5. PooDIPIDI

My C0ke habit? Three words: Post Nasal Drip

September 28, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • Coke Guy

Want those fancy glass bottles? How about the all aluminum bottle? I have them!

September 28, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
  6. Melissa

The first thing... diet coke is nasty and disgusting. The taste is just gross. The thing is, regular coke is not. THAT is addicting. I nearly kicked it once (in my case its Pepsi). But I have managed to keep it down to about two to three cans a day. Expense? Not so worried about. The gaining weight thing is whats bothering me.

September 28, 2011 at 3:10 pm |
  7. Ricky Martin

Ricky Martin
    "Your comment is awaiting moderation. " Skrew you.

I'm a c0ckaholic and proud of it.

September 28, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
  8. Linda1

I was a mountain dew addict. I loved that 'bite' the first swig would give me. I went cold turkey over 3 years ago. I don't miss it, don't need it. And I feel better for not having it.

September 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  9. PooDIPIDI

I used to do about eight ounces a day. That was until I realized I was out of razor blades and nasal spray.

September 28, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  10. jellybean

so what you think, stupid?

September 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  11. Lila

Never heard of an addiction to soda, it's good that you are off the stuff. It's all chemicals. Isn't there a controversy about a link between the coloring and cancer? I have about two Mexican cokes per year and they give me the hiccups.

September 28, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  12. don-bee

I USE TO DRINK DIET COKES LIKE THEY WERE GOING OUT OF STYLE
    AND ONE DAY I SAW HOW MUCH MONEY I WAS SPENDING
    AND I QUIT COLD TURKEY AND I LOST 30 LBS
    JUST BY STOP DRINKING DIET COKES

September 28, 2011 at 2:59 pm |
  13. The Dude

If you cant do anything cold turkey, you fail.

September 28, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
    • Descartes

Way to encourage others, Sunshine! Cold turkey works for some, ramping down works better for others.

September 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
      • Paul

I think he's right though, cold turkey works, ramping is harder...takes more self control versus just a black and white decision

September 28, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
  14. snarf

Coke Zero is a heck of a lot better tasting.

September 28, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
    • Lost 30 so far

You are so right, snarf! Coke Zero all the way. And if you make smarter food and portion choices, Diet Coke, etc, does not affect your weight at all. As for kidney stones, I've been afflicted with them since 1985, and Nutrasweet hasn't been out that long. Debunked that theory.

September 28, 2011 at 5:00 pm |
  15. Cory

I used to drink 2-3 Liter of Mountain Dew a day and claiming it was to help keep me awake in the mornings. This went on for a most of a year and then I went in and had my self tested for sleep troubles. I was diagnosed with minor sleep apnea and the doctor said that my soda consumption was probably causing most of my issues.
    I stopped cold turkey that day. The next week was difficult as could be, as kicking most addictions are. I did not touch another drop of any soda for almost two years. Now, I may have an occasional root beer or Sprite, but can not do more than 8 ounces or so before I get rid of it. It is amazing how much better I have felt since.

September 28, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
  16. Jeepers

How many people thought this was going to be about cocaine?

September 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • PooDIPIDI

YAY0 ! !

September 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
      • Kathar

Relax Tony!!!!

September 28, 2011 at 4:04 pm |
    • Laureth

I had a suspicion it was about the drink, since the C in Coke was capitalized. It wouldn't have been if it was an article about cocaine.

My husband is addicted to regular Coke (he cannot stand the taste of diet soda) although not to the extent that the author was addicted. I was never a big soda drinker but when I was pregnant with my second daughter the taste of soda was so nasty to me during the whole nine months I rarely if ever drink soda now.

September 29, 2011 at 7:17 am |
  17. Guest

I thought I was the only one to do those things! I quit Diet Coke last year and felt much better. I would once in a while buy a 20 0z. bottle but didn't like it as much because I love it in the can. I would make a mental note whenever I saw a place that still sold it in cans, just in case I wanted one. I slowly started drinking more, until eventually I was back to 1 per day. I keep it at 1 or 2 per day, but really just want to be done with it. When I drink it, I lose my taste for water. It will be hard – quitting the first time was, for me, harder than quitting cigarettes.

September 28, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
  18. PooDIPIDI

YAY0

September 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  19. PooDIPIDI

The title says "How I kicked My Coke Habit." I guess I'm weird because I was thinking the powder instead. Oh well, I guess there's still hope...

September 28, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
  20. tim

My wife is a serious diet pespi junkie. Not so much back when we were dating or I just didn't notice it. Most weekend morning she has put down 32 ounces of the stuff before 9 am. On the day she will work from home I am tripping over the bottles stacked up on the steps in the garage. She did kick the habit for a few months and I noticed a definite difference in her personality. Less fidgety, less likely to snap, was sleeping much better, fewer bad dreams. Then it all started again a few months ago and I really don't know what to do now. We are trying to start a family I would really rather she didn't drink that chemical slurry all day every day. It really is like having a alcoholic in the house just minus the drunk part. There is no getting around it. She is an addict and there is something that she is addicted to in it.

September 28, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
    • Asparatame is Poison

If you're trying to start a family, she should stop drinking Aspartame for at least a few months before she gets pregnant. Aspartame has been linked to certain birth defects, some serious, in children.

September 28, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
      • Descartes

Balderdash! State your source. Don't just spout ignorant drivel, support it .... so we can shoot it down.

September 28, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
      • Lost 30 so far

Science, not gossip. Nutrasweet and Splenda are the sweeteners of choice for diabetics, and during my 3 pregnancies I didn't scale back my usage. My kids are normal(whatever normal is) and have no "defects."

September 28, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
      • Aspartame is the fecal matter of e-coli

No matter how you slice it, Aspartame is a chemical. It is a potent neurotoxin that penetrates the blood-brain barrier and causes several disorders and diseases down the line. It might not 'hurt' you now, but after years of continued use; it will. I strongly suggest everyone here does the research on Aspartame.

It is poison.

September 29, 2011 at 7:52 am |
    • The Dude

Divorce her now, because it's going to happen anyway.

September 28, 2011 at 5:36 pm |
  21. Revolto

Hey Kat Kinsman, you're hardass... Until you've sucked d!ck for coke, you don't know what an addiction is...

September 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
    • Betty

I know someone who died from liver cancer who was addicted to Diet Coke – he drank like 18-24 cans a day! From the time he was diagnosed he was gone 6 months later. Read the label – if it will cause cancer in lab rats – it will also cause cancer in humans!

September 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • thenakednurse

I have so many bad habits I can't list them all, but I love my coke zero, sometimes up to seven icy cold cans a day. I drink them before I get up to go to the bathroom in the morning, they are great with coffee and just about everything else in the world. I also have a few really bad habits that I will not go into any detail about. If I do not drink another coke zero for the rest of my life; I will still die and still go to heaven. The world has become such a mess that I may try to quit some of my habits but coke zero can be a monkey on my back until I arrive at the pearly gates. I bet they even have coke zero in heaven. And if I go to hell; I hope they are icy cold too!

September 28, 2011 at 2:54 pm |
    • Kat Fan @Redolt-o

You're obviously addicted to being stooooopid.

September 28, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • RichardHead@Revolto

Such language,and to think you use that same mouth to score a 75 cent can of Coke.

September 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  22. Dvaid Vickery

This is news ? Get a life, stupid Americans,get a life !

September 28, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • Archived

It's not news. It's a simple commentary in the Lifestyles section. Get a grip.

September 28, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
  23. phoodphite

The convenience of something in a can or bottle is hard to beat. But if you are home, why not treat yourself to something healthier and almost as convenient? I regularly add one part juice (cranberry, orange or grape for instance) with 2-3 parts of sparkling water. Sometimes adding a splash of lemonade to liven things up (you know, the simply kind from the dairy case). I find even juice with pulp can be very refreshing as long as you dilute and chill to your liking. Of course there are some product lines already in line with this such as Orangina, the newer products from OceanSpray and Izze. You'll also feel good when you're in the store and you just skip past all those cans and bottles of junk. I should also say that I am certain that any product with aspartame – even in small amounts gives me a headache.

September 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • PaperCraneStyle

Orangina is awesome! First had some from a vending machine in the Paris subway. Was stoked to find it occasionally stocked in a local grocery a few months after I got back.

Don't get me wrong, though. I still love me some Diet Dr. Pepper.

September 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
  24. Andy

I am so glad you wrote this article. My wife is Diet Coke addict to the same crazy level. I always wondered if there were other people out there and if it was specifically Diet Coke. Amazing.

September 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • Dave in Portland

It's not just Diet Coke though. I'm hooked as heck on Diet Pepsi and I've known others who are the same.

I always have at least 3 or 4 one-liter bottles in the fridge and if I don't, I get worried.

Weird, I feel like a crack-head when I say it like that.

September 28, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
      • Dawnarie

I am a Diet Pepsi addict. If you tried to type my blood, it would come out type Diet Pepsi. When a storm warning comes out, I stock up on a few 8 packs of Diet Pepsi. Our local stores used to carry 24oz bottles, but have switched to the 16.9 1/2 liter bottles. I could make the 24oz bottles last a few hours, but the 1/2 liters, I can drink straight down. I stop every morning at a gas station and buy 2 1-liter bottles for the day. Hey it's 2 for $3.50, so it's a better price than buying just one. Everyone in my family knows you do not touch Mom's pop! I drink one bottle in morning, 2 1 liter bottles at work, and 2-3 at home in the evening. Weekends, I drink even more. I have no desire to quit at this time.

September 29, 2011 at 8:16 am |
  25. Scott

Diet Cherry Coke is my poison. Seriously, try the stuff; it tastes like a fully sugared soda. I used to drink at least a six-pack a day, but finally had to kick the habit when it started giving me heartburn. Now I usually have one a day. Great stuff, though; and an addiction it is.

September 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
  26. Jason D

I am an addict too..have drank diet coke for as long as i can remember...i get the headaches from the aspartame, the burpathon and it does wonders for my diabetes...i try to think its better then normal coke but its all the same..addictive, i will buy a 6 pack thinking this will last the week and by the next night im out again and trying to find excuses to go to the shops for more...there is something addictive in it and its more then caramel and aspartame although reading how bad aspartame can get is a pretty good reason to avoid it...but like cigarettes which i managed to quit more then 20 years ago..the diet coke is too rediliy avaiable and cheap...comparred to cigarettes and even socially acceptable, you see sales all the time for 2 liters for 99c....its a cheap fix and if someone finds out about coke ever putting anything in there it knows is addictive they will have a class action law suit the likes of which would scare walmart to death

September 28, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  27. LJN

I also used to be a Diet Coke addict. Loved the delicious, cold fizz, the sound of a new can being cracked open, the first sip... Soooooo freaking good. I was sick for a while and stopped drinking my Diet Coke. When I started again I noticed that I got awful stomach cramps after drinking it. I realized that I had developed an aspertame alergy. I'll be honest, I miss my Diet Coke every day but I don't miss the stomach pain.

September 28, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  28. Overtheriver

Hmm. I'm not a diet coke addict, but I know someone who is! My sister on the other hand is a Dr. Pepper addict. Not diet though. Seriously. She drinks more soda in a week than I probably do in a month. I think if I had to choose, my favorite soda would be Barques Root Beer. It's like serious addiction in her. She gets just plain mean over it. God forbid someone other than her drinks the last 5 of them. Ugh. It's just not good for you to drink that much of it!

September 28, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  29. Nativefresnan

I've been soda free, after drinking one version of Pepsi or another for 30 years, for 1 year, 9 months. It now tastes like what it is, fizzy chemicals, however the sound of the pop top and the following fizz still makes me salivate. Although coffee, tea and water can get boring I don't miss the GERD and achy legs

September 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
    • Jason D

I may be a diet coke addict but if i were given the choice of diet coke or tea and had to choose one over the other id choose tea...I'm English..its like mothers milk...heck..it is the main reason for the industrial revolution...the first anti toxidant....used to be used to pack the china being shipped from china to England and so they sold it on the shore to the poor and it took off....ridiculous but true

September 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
  30. Connor Gibson

My mom is addicted 2 diet coke

September 28, 2011 at 2:28 pm |
  31. Nicole

did you know at high enough temps, aspartame is broken down into methanol and formic acid then formaldehyde? Yes–THE formaldehyde used to preserve dead bodies. As a lover of diet coke myself, I know it's bad for you but at least I am preserving my brain in the process!

September 28, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
    • Myth

September 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
      • tim

So what does potassium Benzoate break down into? Last time I check benzine was really bad for you.

September 28, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • Ron

That's why no one drinks it hot or warm.

September 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
  32. Slg79

I have been an avid diet coke drinker for as long as I can remember. When I was pregnant with my son 11 years ago the doctor told me that i just needed to switch to caffeine free diet coke, which I easily did. Thank goodness my son is completely healthy and even advanced....considering some caffeine is ok, while aspartame is potentially very hazardous to developing little ones. Anyhow, I just found out that my husband and I are expecting so I quit...I quit completely the very day I found out. I don't feel sick, I don't miss it, I drink plain old water because we need to afford diapers and not a soda stream...If I even think about a diet coke all I have to do is look at my belly! I am positive I won't drink it again!

September 28, 2011 at 2:25 pm |
  33. Red Pison

Just because you're drinking diet soda does not make you a healthy person. You look like a fool rather. Just man or woman up and drink a non diet soda every once in a blue moon. Fat Americans

September 28, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  34. SadieD

One summer, I was doing data entry for 8 hours a day, so I was consuming caffeine–Cherry Coke Zero–constantly. The combined caffeine and chemicals gave me vertigo. That forced me to quit pretty quickly (it's been 2 1/2 years and diet sodas still give me an instant headache).

September 28, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  35. jw

Zero and Diet Dew

September 28, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  36. unowhoitsme

Coke, inc. will make sure this article disappears quickly.

September 28, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
  37. John

Is it just me or do all fat people drink diet soda? There are skinny people who drink diet soda (a few) but all fat people drink diet soda. What is up with that?

September 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
    • mcccccc

Because somehow they think that that extra few hundred calories from soda is somehow going to make a difference when piled on top of their 7 big mac combo's a day.

September 28, 2011 at 2:26 pm |
    • bunnyswanson

More than likely, the chubby persons went on a diet – started drinking diet soda – went off the diet but found that regular soda (with sugar) tasted way to sugary – waayyyy toooo sugaryyyy – for the palate and continued with the diet soda – They have distinctly different flavors.

September 28, 2011 at 2:39 pm |
    • Heather

Not me – I'm fat and I drink straight Coke – I hate diet and yes, I hate seeing overweight people drinking diet too – it seems like a lie ........... might as well embrace the good stuff or only drink water. I'm not dumb, I know soda is bad for me, yada yada yada...but it's just so damn good that I roll with it. I'd rather be fat and happy then skinny and bitchy.

September 28, 2011 at 2:50 pm |
      • Chris

"I'd rather be fat and happy then skinny and bitchy"??? Wow! That's about the sadest statement I've EVER heard! It's ashame you don't (and probably never will) realize that skinny people are much happier, they have a lot more energy and they feel SO much better than fat people! But whatever makes you "happy" right?? Isn't it all about being happy? Who cares if you're obese, have diabetes, heart disease and can't walk 20 ft without losing your breath.....as long as you're "happy" right? Scary thought process you have Heather!

September 28, 2011 at 5:04 pm |
  38. Addicted

I was also once a sex addict, it took me sleeping with several hundred woman I didnt even find attractive to make me stop. Maybe a couple liters of bad tasting soda would do the trick.

September 28, 2011 at 2:22 pm |
  39. Steve-O

When I initially saw the tagline I jumped in here to say something witty such as "It's easy to quit coke as long as heroin is still around". But then I realized it was the wrong type of 'coke'.

Nonetheless this article makes me wonder, why is it specifically about Coke? Did Pepsi pay for this advertorial?

September 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
    • Knuckles

I doubt it, but the sugar manufacturers have sure taken a hit from artificial sweeteners. What better way to stymie your competition than convince consumers the other guys product will kill them? Proof? Nah. Who needs proof when this kind of garbage science is willingly, and continually reprinted. That said, my garbage makes more sense than their garbage.

September 28, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  40. george

diet coke with about 2 oz of O.J. in the morning. At night, same combo with an equal amount of red wine to diet coke proportion.

September 28, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  41. hahaha

The fact that our government allows people to drink 4 liters of soda (pop) a day and I can't hit a joint (legally) before I go to sleep is insane.

September 28, 2011 at 2:17 pm |
    • Addicted

Well, soda doesnt screw up your head, a joint does and makes you unsafe around others. Mary jane is a drug that i have personally seen thousands of people turn violent on. Pot is the worst addiction in the world.

September 28, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
      • mcccccc

Haha, joke post of the year. At least I hope it's a joke.

September 28, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
      • doc

Thousands of people? Really? Maybe you were just dropping some bad acid and imagined the whole thing.

September 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
      • GetOverYourself

Post of the year, I bet your a christian too

September 28, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
      • SimplyStating

Wow.. You truly have no clue when it comes to addictions. Where does it states that marijuana is the worst addiction? Have you ever read up on oh let's see.. Meth or Heroin? Probably not.. Wow come out of the closet and see the truth already.. Marijuana is in no way considered dangerous.. LOL.. I do have to give you props for giving me a laugh today.

September 28, 2011 at 2:40 pm |
      • bunnyswanson

Weed/Pot/cannibas gives you a 2 hour buzz. Two hours...and it is not addicting. You do not withdraw...I have been smoking for 30 plus years and am fine with or without it. I have been witness to people who smoke it in every arena you can imagine – the worst case scenario is alcohol mixed with weed. That will lead to inhibitation and if it is an angry person, they express their anger. It is not the weed.

Weed may cause paranoia or nervousness but never anger. People searching for a way to medicate themselves out of a state of emotional distress take many concoctions in search of relief. Combinations lead to trouble. Weed alone will make you hungry and then sleepy and then 2 hours later, you are back to normal.

THC has proven to have an impact on growing cancer cells; inhibiting them in their search of fuel – your organs – I am a cancer patient and my tumor was so dormant – it began shrinking – had a ki67 of 0.05 – practically indolent – even though my tumor had been in my breast for 2 years (missed on mammogram).

Do not spread misinformation.

September 28, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
      • apostate

you're high.

September 28, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
      • AleeD@A D!ck Ted

You are full of sh!t.

September 28, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  42. Addicted

I drink at least two liters a day, often more of diet pepsi. It is all I drink, Ive given up water, milk coffee as they are times I can be drinking diet pepsi. Im addicted but I dont think its really that bad for me, so i think i would actually recommend anyone with addiction issues to pick up this addiction.

September 28, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
    • Chris from Houston

Getting to work by 6:00AM I drank 6 diet cokes before 8:00AM. Another 2 to 4 before noon. Another 4 before 5. And at least 2 at home before going to bed. My brother told me carbonated water aggravates arthritis so I quit cold turkey. My arthritic pain almost disappeared. Now I drink a gallon of unsweet iced tea a day.

September 28, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • bunnyswanson

I hope you won't miss your kidneys when they fail – I work in medical field – we would go to the dialysis floor – and the nurses would greet us with "Drink your water ladies, or you too may end up here, hooked up to machinery that will keep you from dying because your kidneys have failed – after forced to work to flush toxins out of your sysem 24/7 for 40 or so years, leaving you with 20 years to go and no kidney function. Moderation.. Nurses on the dialysis floor have a bottle of water within reach all of the time. Water intake is essential.

September 28, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
  43. mcccccc

I cannot even comprehend the level of stupidity required to drink 4 liters of soda a day. It is no different than eating an entire block of butter every day but you don't see millions of people doing that.

My favorite from the soda morons is "I don't like the taste of water". How can you not like the taste of water? It has no taste. It's like saying you aren't going to breathe anymore because you don't like the taste of air, so you will just chain smoke 15 packs of cigarettes a day.

September 28, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • John

Actually, yeah.

September 28, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • Descartes@mcccccc

"My favorite from the soda morons is "I don't like the taste of water". How can you not like the taste of water? It has no taste."

You've obviously never tasted – yes tasted – Florida tap water. Full-bodied flavor, often with a hint of chlorine. Growing up on that made my first taste of true mountain spring water a reality check. I recommend one of those for you.

September 29, 2011 at 7:25 am |
  44. eepah

WEIRD. One mere second before opening CNN.com I was telling a co-worker I was getting worried about this persistent craving I have turning into an addiction. Then this was on the homepage. We both freaked.

One question: does Coke Zero count? That is my drug.

September 28, 2011 at 2:10 pm |
    • neepsandtats

I would imagine Coke Zero counts, since it's sweetened with a combination of aspartame and acesulfame potassium. Honestly, try to stick to water – if you want something tastier, you can add a little fruit juice, makes a world of difference. Diet soda is more than just "flavored carbonated water." Treat your body well.

September 28, 2011 at 5:59 pm |
  45. meg

I switched to all natural LaCroix and feel much better about not poisoning my body.

September 28, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
  46. Andrea

Addictions, I can understand. Fizziness, caffeine, all very desirable. But Diet Coke? It tastes plastic-y and fake. I know DC addicts, but I've never understood it. I myself love a good, COLD fizz – Dr. Pepper or beer that has been put in the freezer for 10 minutes first. AAAh! But those actually taste good....

September 28, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
    • pdpete

Really beer? Lets not kid ourselves and says that it tastes good. Dr. Pepper I totally agree with and DC does taste like plastic but really you had to say that beer trumped DC? There is no such thing as a good tasting beer, the better beers just taste less like urine, but not good.

September 28, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  47. Karianne

Oh, BTW, even though I was looking forward to losing weight since I kicked the sugary stuff, I didn't lose a pound! Oh well, I'm still glad I'm off of it.

September 28, 2011 at 2:06 pm |
    • Josh

Generally speaking, there is a bit more to losing weight than simply stopping doing something. A lot of it has to do with things such as your level of activity. Not that I would recommend going about it this way... but I daresay one can lose weight quicker and more permanently by drinking 2 bottles of coke and running a mile every day, than simply stopping cola intake altogether but still lounging around.

September 28, 2011 at 2:29 pm |
  48. Dew Man

Diet Mountaion Dew is the most addictive soda in history!!! Truly

September 28, 2011 at 2:03 pm |
    • Karianne

You got that right. My husband used to be soooo addicted to that stuff. Kicked it when he went into the hospital. Now he's a 2 liter a day Diet Pepsi junkie. Diet Coke destroys his stomach. Wish he could quit – and everyone else too. Can you imagine the impact on our economy if we all did quit? OK, maybe we shouldn't all quit at once...

September 28, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
      • usually 2 liter/day drinker

I think that Pepsi usually causes less stomach acid than Coke in last few years, that's the one issue about soda that makes people want to quit I think. Cheap soda is too carbonated for me. I drink Pepsi 2 liter every day usually and the sugar type for years with no weight gain, like latte drinkers whom have medical lobby lauding their favorite addiction as healthful, I crave the energy from the sugar and caffeine and ignore the side effects if I can.

September 29, 2011 at 8:16 am |
    • beef

the thing i find amazing about this article is that someone thinks 2, 2lts a day is a problem. i love d.p. but i am down with the dew also, if there is no d.p. to be found or on sale i will go for d.c. i start off each day with a 52oz sheetz fizzonator mug filled with the dew then i usually have 4 or 5 24oz d.p.'s through out the day until i get home to watch a little tube. at that time i crack open the 2lt's, one or two depending how i am felling. i don't know if it is an addiction because i have never even thought about stopping, i also drink about a gal of water a day. i think the only thing that would make me think about quitting would be the cost, but here in pa you can usually find 4, 6pks of d.p. on sale for $12, that's 24oz bottles for 50 cents which aint bad and then they always have either d.p. or d.c. 2 lts on sale for a buck at the local store.

September 28, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
  49. Skeptic

I agree with the posters that mention the side-effects of aspartame, but guess where else it is found? All of the juices and products we feed our kids that scream 'Lower Sugar' on the front. Read the label, and it's also aspartame.

September 28, 2011 at 2:02 pm |
    • Ex-addict

Yes, you are right! I know I look like a nut in the grocery store because I stand there in the aisle reading the ingredients on all the packaged foods that I buy (it's amazing what they will put aspartame in!)

September 28, 2011 at 2:13 pm |