September 22nd, 2011

Deborah Feyerick is a CNN correspondent. Watch part two of this series Friday on American Morning and read producer Sheila Steffen's $30 grocery challenge

If you want to know what hunger looks like, look through the eyes of Tianna Gaines. The 31 year old Philadelphia native lives with her husband and three young kids in a simple, sparsely furnished row house. The kitchen is worn but very clean. "Roaches like water," Gaines says matter-of-factly as she wipes the counter.

She keeps dry-goods sealed in plastic bins. Cereal is stored on top of the refrigerator, in cereal-size plastic containers. "The mice eat through boxes," she explains as she reaches for a loaf of white bread. "We're out of whole-grain," she says pointing to the bright orange two-for-one price sticker.

For Gaines feeding her family properly is not just a choice, it is arguably a strategic obsession. She knows precisely when items get marked-down for clearance. "The Manager's Specials go first if you're not there by 9:00 in the morning."

She cuts coupons religiously, buys in bulk and makes her own dinner from the food left on her children's plates, something she and her husband Marcus call "Kid surfing." Oatmeal, eggs and rice are staples she keeps when the other food runs out.

In a country where grocery store shelves are overflowing, Gaines is among some 50 million Americans struggling to put enough food on the table. "A lot of people say, "Oh, she works two jobs, she must have it good." No I don't!" she says shaking her head.

The scientific term for hunger is "food insecurity" and since the US Department of Agriculture began keeping track in the mid-1990s, it has now reached an all time high.

"When someone is food insecure, it's the anxiety of not being able to afford enough food. You may have enough food for the day, but you're worried about tomorrow or you're worried about next week," explains Mariana Chilton, an expert on public health and nutrition who created the project Witnesses to Hunger and recruited Gaines, one of 40 women, to photograph their struggles with hunger and poverty.

"There's an implicit anxiety and depression and worry," says Chilton.

Among the most striking photos, a handful of coins, most of them pennies. Jean Culver, a waif-like mom with spiky blond hair who says she gets $400 a month in food stamps, snapped the picture at the end of the month. "That was all I had. I mean and so many things that needed to be done with that change. It's just overbearing. It's hard to handle. "

Culver says she first feeds her two sons, then eats what's left-over, "I feel like even if we have food if I eat a snack, for instance, then I'm taking it away from my kids."

Barbara Izquierdo, 23, is another Witness to Hunger "sister," as the women call themselves. Several years ago, she had a newborn and no money to eat. Out of desperation, she says she took a pizza menu & stared at the pictures, reading the descriptions until the hunger pangs went away.

"I never thought that hunger could be as serious as it is. I never thought that I would be affected." Izquierdo now works for Coalition Against Hunger helping others in need. She says taking pictures has given her a voice to show lawmakers and policymakers first-hand what hunger and poverty are all about.

"For a long time I felt food was a privilege...no one should feel that way," says Izquierdo who hopes one day to go to college and become a criminal psychologist. "If I can change it now, when my daughter gets older she might not have to go through this."

Visit Witnesses to Hunger

Posted by:
Filed under: Content Partner • Food Politics • Hunger • News • SNAP • TV-American Morning

1. 12mchen

People on here are MEAN. Just because she is fat doesn't mean the children deserve to starve.
    It is really sad that people in this country go hungry. The stamp system should just be done away with. There should be certain staple foods that 'registered' families should be eligible for. It should be based off of your SSN or some other tracking system.

It is sad that poor people probably also don't have the education level a lot of middle and upper middle class people do. They might not necessarily know what is a good value. I mean, yes, it seems like common sense to shop at Cost Co to save money. But you'd have to a) live in a nice enough area to have a Cost co, 2) be able to pay for membership into the club, 3) have transportation to and from Cost co, which costs gas money and vehicle maintenance costs.

When you get there, you're suppose to be able to buy non-perishable food items. You can't necessarily buy fruit or veggies in bulk because those don't have a very good shelf life. You have to get meals. A lot of the poor people probably buy stuff that is really bad and full of perservatives, such as ramen, because they are complete meals.

Then, you have to make that $400 last for the rest of the month. If you were a family of 4, that ate 3 meals a day, that is $100 dollars per person, $33 per meal per month, $1.11 per meal per day . How are you suppose to afford that???

September 22, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
    • One who knows

If not for the foodstamp program there are some people that couldn't get Anything. Not everyone has the same luxuries.

September 22, 2011 at 7:25 pm |
  2. Loweman

Oh man I remember the struggles growing up HUNGRY and living off foodstamps as a child. I was the youngest of 7! I hated it! that I hated my parents for putting us through the struggle. My mother suffered from manic depression,agoraphobia. My father was just a deadbeat who refused to work. he would collect bottles,cans,anything to recycle to make a few bucks only to spend it on the race tracks! Man I cannot tell you how many times we begged for food went to food banks. Now in my 30's the scars of starving have stayed with me.. I have obsessed about food and not going hungry I have extreme coupon habits. I have a decent job that pays my bills, but I can tell you without extreme coupon shopping I would go day to day barely eating. It's no joke GOING HUNGRY IS NOT FUN

September 22, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
  3. sharon

This is terrible. I myself have noticed food prices are higher in the last year. What's really sad is a lot of times its a choice between healthy or low cost. I believe the maximum should be raised on food stamps but I believe it should also be investigated better. A lot of people do not use them properly and that is very sad for the people who do need them. My heart goes out.

September 22, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
    • dare

There are cheap healthy items. I go to smart and final and buy a 3 pound bag of salad for 1.99 and it last my family at least 5 meals. Cucumbers are cheap, bulk rice in 40 pound bags is about 20 bucks, it last us months. Pasta can be on sale for 80 cents a box. There are healthy items for cheap but they TAKE WORK TO MAKE. I make my own bread and pizza. 40 pound bag of flour costs 8 bucks. You can make rolls, bread, pizza. Come on America, we are better then this. We fend for ourselves that is the american way.

September 22, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
  4. Aony

That's why I usually drop something in foodbank's bin every month. Not a lot, but enough to satiate couple of people hunger.

September 22, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
  5. bee13

How many can't afford adequate food for their family yet have cable, an XBox, and a flatscreen TV? This is a completely valid question because I have seen it firsthand over and over again. Priorities for far too many U.S. adults are as upside down as the mortgages they carry.

September 22, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
    • Dante

I guarantee you that once you are "food insecure" you don't have nice things anymore unless they were gifts.

I don't have much in the way of modern things, although I have no problem paying for food and a car (I have nothing left over though!) I'm in the lower 20%, working hard full time (no overtime allowed) and only getting paid enough to just get by. I've never been on assistance, but is this really fair?

September 22, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
      • bee13

So many adults in their 20's and early 30's completely believe they they MUST have cable TV, treating this luxury item in they same way they treat air: "I can't live without it," some have told me. How on God's green earth did they convince themselves of this falsehood, especially the unfortunate poor ones who can't afford true essentials such as food, water, a roof, power, sanitation, you know, important stuff like that.

I've looked into their eyes and listened to them say, "Uh-uh, I'm not doin' without my cable!" These are they who will never escape poverty because they refuse to adopt behaviors that will enable them to eventually rise above.

September 22, 2011 at 7:19 pm |
  6. Sarah

Bad decisions lead to bad situations. Thats life. Making it more comfortable to live off the taxpayers only encourages more people to do so.

After investing years of my life going into debt in academia and sacrificing to build a secure future, I have little sympathy for people who have done nothing to help themselves.

September 22, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
    • amy

This woman works TWO jobs. Exactly how is she not doing anything to better herself? It is too bad that your fancy degree didn't prevent you from being an elitist twit.

September 22, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
      • Aristotle

Perhaps what Sarah is saying is that many people are where they are because of choices they've made throughout their lives. Some choose to not avail themselves of public education and instead, choose to fritter away their opportunities until there are none left. Others forego "chillin" and "hanging out" in their free time with an eye to the future and put forth the effort to succeed. Many do not grasp the concept that what they do now impacts what they can do later.

That is not to say that we should not have compassion and generosity...we should. We should give to charitable organizations. But poverty is more than about money, it is about poor choices. Warren Buffett could give 100,000 dollars to 100,000 "poor" people and most will have squandered it within a short time. And government programs that just give money to people and destined to change few lives because they address only money....not education, not decision-making. THAT is why giving to charitable organizations that TEACH life skills is superior. Some of you will understand, some will not. For those that don't, let's just agree to disagree.

September 22, 2011 at 7:28 pm |
    • Dante

I'm going to go ahead and guess that if you were able to go into debt that you had parents who had good credit and could support you if things didn't work out. Stuff happens. What if you went into debt and couldn't finish school because of illness and you had no parents to help you? What then smart guy?

September 22, 2011 at 7:04 pm |
    • Allison

There is something seriously wrong with you if that is how you think lady.

September 22, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
    • Tia

I feel sorry for you, Sarah. It must be lonely being so self-centered and unfeeling. Not everyone can go into debt so they can get a fancy degree that's worth the paper it was printed on. Don't worry, there will always be poor people for you to look down on to make you feel better about yourself.

September 22, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
    • yup

Sarah has every right to be mad. However, it's not the fault of those who are starving. They are doing as best as they can to survive. Just read my posts below and tell me what u think.

September 22, 2011 at 7:22 pm |
  7. Tammy

Are you certain that she had three kids AFTER they began experiencing hard times? I am not a welfare fan....not at all, but I will withhold making a judgment call based on the information presented in this story. I am living proof that (back in the late 70's) when my step father was laid off as a carpenter who made a good living, we were forced to have to eat butter noodles or bread for our dinner meal. My mother reluctantly had to get food stamps for a couple of months just so our stomachs would be full. We were doing ok before that, but the savings ran out quickly and jobs, like today, were scarce. Fortunately, this was a temporary fix and it was back to work and meat/potatoes. Be thankful that you are doing very well. My husband and children and doing great, and for that, I am very blessed.

September 22, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
  8. amy

A lot of people here clearly suffer from Empathy Insecurity.

September 22, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
    • Dante

lol, agreed.

September 22, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
  9. Learn To Fish

There's no excuse for that nasty kitchen, that's just laziness. All it takes is a wet rag/sock, soap, and elbow grease to keep your family from living in filth.

September 22, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
    • Brian

To quote from the article "The kitchen is worn, but very clean." Dial back the self-righteousness and dial up basic reading comprehension.

September 22, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
    • Tia

Learn To Fish needs a new screen name...Learn To Read would better suit you.

September 22, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
  10. Sydney

While I have no problem with anyone using food stamps...I am a little perplexed. My husband and I spend $150.00 per week at the grocery store which gets us a lot of stuff, so I am not sure how $400.00 a month leaves you with pennies and little to no food.

September 22, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • Liutgard

$150 a week is $600 a month. She's getting $400 a month for her family, and you wonder why she has so little left? Could you cut your budget by 1/3 and eat well?

September 22, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
    • JeeJee

Could you feed a family of 5 on $100 a week? That's what some people face.

September 22, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
    • Luke

I was thinking the same thing, we spend on average $500 a month, and that usually includes a bunch of snacks and crap, i'm sure if we shopped just for meals, we could walk away spending $300 or less. $400 is more than enough, i'm confused as to why its not?

I also grew up in poverty and my dad spent $50 a week on food to feed 3 kids and him and mom, and we had dinner and breakfast everyday.

September 22, 2011 at 7:11 pm |
  11. john

if not for giving billions of dollars every year to israel we would be able to feed our hungry people instead we are funding the iilegal jewish occupation in israel

September 22, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
  12. JoJo

Excuse me, but this is one of the reasons I'm against unnecessary warfare, aside from it being immoral. We spent a trillion dollars to kill brave young Americans and Iraqis unnecessarily in Iraq, and now there's no money for safety nets for the poor in this country and so indirectly many here will die as well, of hunger, unaffordable medical care, etc. We'll never know if what we achieved in Iraq (if anything) could have been achieved peacefully.

September 22, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  13. mike

For all those bashing these people, I have a proposal. We will gladly pickup your share of the tab for supporting these programs, if would be willing to forfeit any future rights to any safety net program, and promise to eliminate yourselves should the need ever arise.

September 22, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
    • Steve

Noone's bashing the people it's the system. Didn't your mom ever tell you not to feed stray animals, once you start you own them for life, it's the same with our government. By the way, a ten pound bag of rice (healthy) is cheaper than a box of Little Debbie Swiss Rolls (Unhealthy)

September 22, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
      • Beatrix

Depends on the rice. White rice has been linked to diabetes, but I guess then you'll have an extra dollar to deal with it since you didn't buy the sweets.

September 22, 2011 at 7:31 pm |
  14. Steve

America is the fattest nation on planet earth. Most of the obesity problem lies with the segment of the population that is unemployed so how are they getting so obese? There is so much opportunity in this country for free handouts, food stamps, WIC, salvation army, united way, etc, if you can't find food in this country maybe you should drop two or three of your cellular phone subscriptions and sell the XBox 360.

September 22, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • mike

Cheap food is unhealthy food. Next.

September 22, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
      • botwt

Better unhealthy food than starving to death.

September 22, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
      • Ahnuld Boymann

so eat less of it. It's called will power.

September 22, 2011 at 6:58 pm |
      • Liutgard

Ahnuld, it's not a matter of will power. Cheap carbs fill you up, but contribute to insulin resistance, and predispose you to obesity. Read up on it and don't judge.

September 22, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
      • lola

your not going to get fat from unhealthy food unless you eat too much of it....too much food doesn't sound like hunger to me. Maybe they need to eat less and be educated as to what proper nutrition is.

September 22, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
      • Richard Van Treousne

the hell it is – stop with the lies

cheap food is generic pasta, potatoes, and making your own damn food instead of going to eat the fast food crap that plugs arteries and causes us to pay for bypasses for the poor

September 22, 2011 at 7:54 pm |
    • Schmedley

At least there is food. Next.

September 22, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
  15. CaptainObvious

And P.S. if you were to show any individual in Africa this women and then tell them that she "goes hungry" they would crap themselves. She is over 200 lbs!

September 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • Learn To Fish

Yes, sounds harsh but true. There really are people barely making ends meet and hungry in this nation, but I have a hard time believing she is one of them. If her kids are going hungry then I know who's getting all the food.
      "Yes, but the cheapest food is the most unhealthy food, that's why she's overweight." hmm, I lived in 3rd world countries where people lived off rice and whatever they could afford to put on it, none of them were as large as this lady (and rice is cheap).

September 22, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
  16. ann

If everyone who posted on here went straight to the Regional Food Bank website for your state and gave even a few bucks it would help.

September 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
  17. yup

No but that is a good point. Lets say that eventually every person in this world alive has an IQ of just enough to be able to feed themselves, how would They be able to move forward technologically. Too me that could be a way backwards. Currently we halt evolution by keeping people alive who should have past on. This way they would not have past on their genetics to their offspring. Obviously you can say that people who are disabled still can help society prosper such as Stephen Hawking. But there is plenty of shades of grey when it comes to the genetic formation of a brain. How does a weak genetic pool bring you a strong civilization?

September 22, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
    • mike

A certain German dictator felt exactly the same way.

September 22, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
      • yup

Like I said. It isn't pretty and I would not support it one bit. But you can't deny that it may impact our world greatly in the future or if not, has already.

September 22, 2011 at 6:54 pm |
      • Richard Van Treousne

Frederick the Great???? huh?

September 22, 2011 at 7:55 pm |
    • Ahnuld Boymann

How about an "IQ of just enough" to know the difference between "passed on" and "past on". Past is not even a verb. DUH1

September 22, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
      • yup

See that? If I was told to save the entire race through writing a paragraph and spelling everything correctly with perfect grammar, I would have accidentally killed us all!

September 22, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
      • yup

Sorry Boymann, didn't meen to bait u.

September 22, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
  18. Brandon

This is such a load of crap. Everyone wants everyone else to help them with their shortcomings. Here's a thought....go out and make your life better! Or....don't have another kid when you can't afford the ones you have?! Everyone wants to point fingers at the government, from BOTH sides. One side is mad the government helps people (Even though they've had SOMEONE attached to them who's received some level of assistance because EVERYONE has).....and the other side is mad because its "not enough" help. What do you want them to do? Furnish you with a chef to prepare 3 round meals a day for your lazy, can't find a job ass? Its bad enough they fill your cupboards.....but you have to complain about WHAT they're filled with.

My mother taught me never to look a gift horse in the mouth. So if you get it for free....take it and shut the hell up. Or....go out and get a job like the rest of us "poor saps" and actually BUY the things you want, instead of waiting for someone to give it to you.

Let me just say....CNN....that if you want to strum the feeling strings of every American with a story about impoverished, hungry people......interviewing a 250lb woman with 3 kids and a chalk-full refrigerator isn't the best place to start. She's obviously eating SOMETHING! Whether its sugar infested, carb-filled, or Mc-fu*^kin-Donalds......she's eating. She's definitely not HUNGRY.

September 22, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
    • Ahnuld Boymann

YEAH! What YUP said.

September 22, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • James

Couldn't have said it any better.

September 22, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • Lara R

marry me 8 )

September 23, 2011 at 12:40 pm |
  19. iunderstand

400 sounds like alot to me. Sometimes I'm lucky if I get to spend 150$ a month. I have a 4 year old and a husband I have been trying to support while waiting for his veterans disability to go through and it is tough being hungry! And especially hard to admit. I do the "food surfing" as she calls it. I have sometimes either just eaten a few leftover bites or gone without. Potato's go far and are cheap. I like to stock up on dry beans... And buy meat and stuff when it's on sale. I will go to multiple grocery stores for the sales and do whatever I can to try to make the ends meet and the money buy the most it can. But it is rough. It is stressful doing that and spending hours sometimes in the grocery store hunting down enough food for the money I have. I didn't realize it was so much until recently. My health has declined rapidly. A few years ago I never got sick. I'm always sick now. I worked 3 jobs for a while and still had this problem. And by doing that I didn't even qualify for food stamps, but yet still couldn't afford enough food for my family. Something seems wrong with that equasion. But God is good. And he has always supplied. I have never gone without being able to supply my son something to eat. And He has shown His love to me even more thought these times I have had to depend upon Him. My suggestion to those hungry. Pray, read God's word, Follow His direction. And He WILL take care of you! God took care of my husbands disability... it is starting to come through next month thank GOD! HE got us though this time period!!!

September 22, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
  20. Anon

Thank Bush and the GOP for stealing a few billions during their term.

September 22, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
  21. CaptainObvious

I'm sick of hearing people whine about what they don't have. This is America, I could think of about a thousand different ways to make enough money in her situation. I was born in poverty, spent my whole life there, but I'm now 23 with a Bachelor's Degree and half way through my Masters Degree. If you have the will to believe in yourself this is still the land of the free. Too many people think that they should be given things, work for it!

September 22, 2011 at 6:42 pm |
    • Tammy

I am interested in how you paid for your education. At 23 you sure sound like you have all of the answers. I hope your luck continues.

September 22, 2011 at 6:57 pm |
  22. beth

Calling people "fatties" is not going to be the solution and these obese people are not the reason our country is in the crapper. We seem to be self centered and no longer care for our neighbors, and that's truley sad....and remember "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

September 22, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
  23. s

It makes me sad to see people like this knowing there are companies out there that throw away food instead of giving it to people needing help. For example CVS Pharmacy throws away food that's getting ready to expire they say there not "allowed" to give it away! I dont believe it!!!!!

September 22, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • Jimmy Crack Corn

It makes sense. If they gave away food that is about to spoil and someone gets sick, they could sue CVS and win. You should thank pathetic law suits for making companies not wanting to do the right thing.

September 22, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
      • Beatrix

A "best if used by" or expiration date does not mean the food is going to spoil at that date. There's a buffer of a few days to a week depending on the food.

September 22, 2011 at 7:34 pm |
    • Learn To Fish

Yes, you can thank the lawyers and the litigious society they've created. That is exactly why more places don't donate food, it opens them to lawsuits.

September 22, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  24. Ieat

Moral of the story is definitely don't have kids if you can't truly afford it and definitely not in your early 20s. Most people I know who are doing okay have kids well into their early 30s when they have a career and have a support system (parents or relatives) that they can depend on. I am employed and I can't even imagine being a parent in my early 20s when I barely started working.

September 22, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
    • Jamie

I disagree with your theory. You can't predict what the future will bring, and even if someone can "afford" a child today doesn't mean that down the road their lives will be turned upside down and all of that stability will be gone. My mom and dad had me when they were in their late 20's, both had good jobs and plenty to support me. They then had my brother in their early 30's, again good job, nice home, and financial security. My dad left my mom, and with no family support she had to quit her job and move us cross country to be closer to her family. Time were tough for awhile and I remember many nights where she didn't eat dinner so that my brother and I could. She wasn't eligible for food stamps because our only vehicle was worth too much money, even though my father was the one paying for it. Did she know when she had me that this would happen? Not in a million years could she foresee these events. She worked hard, and eventually found another good job that pulled us out of the slump we were in. If it weren't for her education and experience as a chemist we might never have recovered.

You can wait until your 40 to have kids, and you can think you are the most financially secure person in your neighborhood, but the reality is you never know what the future brings. So before you judge people on their choices you may want to stop and think through the possibilities.

September 22, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
    • Liutgard

So do you support Planned Parenthood? Or are you one of those who pickets women's clinics and then berates them for having children they can't afford?

September 22, 2011 at 7:12 pm |
  25. Henry Miller

Yeah, the "War on Poverty" worked so well...

September 22, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
  26. Coreexpression

"Socialism" seems to be a dirty word here in America but the fact remains that in the UK/Europe no one goes hungry like this and everyone gets a place to live. Don't like socialism? Fine – how would you – are we – going to take care of one another in America?

September 22, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
    • joe

What part of the UK/Europe are you refering too? There are lots of people in the UK/Europe that go with out food daily! Get a clue Europe is not perefect.

September 22, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
      • Coreexpression

I lived in various parts of Europe for 10 years and my spouse is english. I am very familiar with how the poor live there and there are social programs to feed and house people which would eliminate the kind of situations that this article speaks of. No, europe is not perfect, but perhaps we can learn from them on some levels how to address poverty and care for one another on a greater scale. The American attitude of "poor people just need to work harder – get it together folks!" doesn't seem to be addressing the issue. If you have some creative ideas on how to address poverty then please suggest them.

September 22, 2011 at 6:52 pm |
    • robster644

get a job. if you can't, move to europe

September 22, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
      • kiddingright

wow you are arrogant, you mean the 12% of unemployed people should move to the UK?

September 22, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
      • Liutgard

Right. And without a job, how do you afford to move to Europe?

September 22, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
  27. what what

She probably shops at publix that place is so expensive there website they tell you to go to for coupons is terrible.

September 22, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  28. Davethecanuck

I really hope I'm not feeling sorry for another "completely broke" individual who still manages to smoke a pack or two a day.

September 22, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
  29. poor not nasty !!

Come on sister there is NO REASON for that kitchen to be SO NASTY ! How do you compare being poor to letting your children live in FILTH !! I am the tenth of ten children and my father died when I was three months old and we were VERY POOR, I remember being so hungry as a little kid and having ONLY coffee-mate in the house and eating that but we were NEVER NASTY.

September 22, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
    • Learn To Fish

Glad to see other people posting here that lived through difficult times with dignity.

September 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • xeno

Yeah, I don't really get what a dirty kitchen has to do with not having enough food.

September 22, 2011 at 6:48 pm |
  30. foodstampcashier

Sad, but there are way more people who abuse the foodstamp system. I hope the reporter is not suggesting that the government throw more money at this problem. Maybe if young people see that life is difficult when they have children they can't afford they will wait until they are in a stable relationship with a family worthy income. This country needs to stop depending on the government. There are charities out there for people who find themselves in the occasional bind, but most recipients I've seen are on foodstamps for long periods of time if not generationally.

September 22, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
    • NoMoney

how about we stop throwing money at FOREIGN nations too?

September 22, 2011 at 7:05 pm |
    • Liutgard

And money doesn't appear in charity groups magically. How much have you given to your local food bank, and how recently?

September 22, 2011 at 7:16 pm |
  31. David

A sad story that raises a lot of questions. Where are the grandparents here, and why aren't they able to help out? Where are the dads of some of these hungry children? And why, in an era where upwardly mobile people are delaying childbearing, are people with few evident job skills having so many children at a young age? And most of all, why, decade after decade, does media coverage of hunger and poverty almost never address these issues?

September 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • foodstampcashier

It seems to be a generational mindset from what I see. Some of these people beleive that if they just have children the government will take care of them because we all have a soft spot in our hearts for children. The people who go through my register treat their children like meal tickets. I know it sounds cruel but we need to stop giving them handouts. It is the only way to stop the cycle. I'm not saying starve the kids, let's require the parents to perform some sort of community service. They need to earn what they receive. When the next generation realizes that there are no "free lunches" maybe they will think twice about quitting highschool to start a family.

September 22, 2011 at 6:40 pm |
    • Oriphiel

Where are the Fathers? I will tell you... my father went to jail after trying to kill my mother. From what I heard at the divorce hearing they only required him to pay $20/wk in child support. My Mom was a high school drop out but got her degree in 5 years. He stopped paying after 10 months and that was the last time he saw me. I got married had a child and was abused as well. The court 20 years later only required hmy huband to pay $40/week to help me with our son. He left after he thought that was too much to pay for a 2 year olds care. He disappeared after they garnished his wages. I got a job as a cashier and worked my way through college as well. That was 20 years ago and my son has not seen his father. I dont know who to blame more the men in and out our lives or the faulty criminal and family court system.

September 22, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  32. Lara R

The first question that pops into my mind when I hear these kinds of stories is why are you having so many kids you can't feed? I know this may seem common sense, but it truly intrigues me how one can't have the self control and sense to know that more kids perpetuates the problem. And second, buying and feeding your kids garbage food, like frozen chicken strips, is also disastrous for their health AND your limited budget. Buy fresh produce and meats, and COOK healthy simple meals for your family using basic staples like rice or beans- produce and staples don't cost alot and there is LOADS you can do with them if you take the time to figure it out. I just don't relate to those that don't TRY.

September 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • ElisabethinCA

And I don't relate to people that judge. How dare you. You don't know their situations. Most families I know with little kids were upper middle class, had savings and didn't go buy all the expensive toys. They COULD afford to feed their kids. But because the economy tanked so did their jobs and their kids are going hungry. Not everyone is popping out kids with no money or way to feed them. Not everyone is out buy junk food to feed their kids. But the media and Hollywood perpetuate that stereotype so that judgmental people like YOU keep repeating it so everyone will believe it. Do some fact checking before you judge people. Better yet, quit being so arrogant to think you have the right to judge people.

September 22, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
      • foodstampcashier

I don't live in Hollywood. I live in rural Pennsylvania. I watch these people go through my line at the grocery store. I wait on them month after month as they choose junk food and pay for it with our tax dollars. A lot of these moms have multiple tatoos, piercings, designer clothes and hand bags, and the latest cell phone. They smell like cigarettes and sometimes alcohol. Meanwhile they drag along their poor little skinny, dirty,vacant eyed children. (Like the couple who bought 24 cases of soda and almost no actual food, or the lady who couldn't come up with enough cash to buy her toilet paper beause she had just been to the State (liquor) Store.) I know there are honest people out there who need help, but they are in the minority. Don't tell me I am stereotyping when I see it month after month.

September 22, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
      • David in Corpus

Your dribbling blood all over your sleeves. Might wanna clean that up.

September 22, 2011 at 7:03 pm |
      • Lara R

Oh hi Mom- hows that bleeding heart treatin yah? OPEN YOUR EYES. I grew up in a town where half the population (that's being modest) supported themsevles with food stamps and government assitance- you know why? CAUSE THEY COULD. No regulations, no oversite to make sure they were getting the proper building blocks to eventually succeed and get OFF assistance- and they abused it. 'STEREOTYPES' come from FACTS. Don't tell me not to judge when this woman is opening her fridge and has loads of unhealthy preprocessed GARBAGE in her fridge- and she's over 200 lbs! Is the government agency paying her also giving her classes on cooking healthy and cheap meals? NO. This is what happens when we throw money at problems, they don't get solved, they get WORSE. I'll go ahead and stop judging when my hard earned tax dollars stop perpetuating problems & start creating solutions.

September 23, 2011 at 12:52 pm |
    • Tammy

Well Lara, you apparently did not read this article. She is managing the best she can, and she is TRYING. She clips coupons and purchases the food that has the lowest price. I don't know where you shop, but here in the Southeast, processed foods are the cheapest to manage. Your seem to be very familiar with this person's life and know how she came to the circumstances she is facing......otherwise you wouldn't have made such a harsh comment. Times are tough for most of us. I agree that healthy foods are the way to go, but when a head of lettuce is 2.50 and a box of mac n cheese is 79 cents, a lot of folks opt for the macaroni. You must be very blessed that you can afford to eat well and your financial status is satisfactory. Be thankful, I know I am.

September 22, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
      • Lara R

$2.50 for a head of lettuce?! Is your laced with gold?

September 23, 2011 at 12:53 pm |
  33. Travis

Welcome to the real world, you work and still struggle. At least you are working. A lot of times I realize I'm not going to have enough to eat. So you know what I do? Work more. This country was founded on hard work, struggle, and suffering. Get over it and make it happen.

September 22, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
    • Belarius Marek

You, are an idiot. We have extreme poverty and hunger in this country. It is fueled by Global Resourcing, Greed, And apathy, much like you exhibit here. For those that have never been hungry, it seems like a myth. We are living in the US of A, right? This doesn't happen here. Well, you are very wrong. Especially now that many have lost their homes, jobs, and everything else they owned to Wall Street greed. Apathy is a killer. And I think our country is terminal from this dreaded disease.

September 22, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
  34. catLoversInc

Three kids!!!!!!!!!! Why do they have three kids when they don't have enough to feed themselves????

September 22, 2011 at 6:25 pm |
    • T3chsupport

I know you're not the only person who has asked this, but I have to say, it's a really, really stupid question. As if hindsight was something useful!

September 22, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • Whatever

A little late to question that, don't you think? Or perhaps, are you advocating that their kids should be taken from them? Serious question.

September 22, 2011 at 6:51 pm |
    • Liutgard

Right. And what happens if you have a nice tidy family and three kids and a good job and then your job is outsourced to India? Have you seen the unemployment rate recently? The three kids you had when you had a good job don't just go away when you're unemployed.

September 22, 2011 at 7:21 pm |
  35. WOW

YAHOOOO FRED! I COULDNT HAVE SAID IT BETTER

September 22, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
    • mike

Yeah, you're cheering for a guy who doesn't know the difference between the Declaration of Independence and the U.S. Constitution. Not sure I'd throw my endorsement behind that...

September 22, 2011 at 6:43 pm |
  36. Kar

C'mon, $400 a month can't feed a "waif-like" woman with 2 sons? She must be in need of some serious classroom instruction in shopping and nutrition. Surely this woman is not feeding sons who are 6 ft tall, and if they are, they need to get part-time jobs! Honestly, if she can't make $400 go further, she does need to educate herself.

September 22, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • Whatever

I really wish we were all as smart as you are. Congratulations on having it all together. Have you considered running for Congress? The presidency?

September 22, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
    • jcd

Was thinking the same thing, the government gives away $$$ with no help, no conditions. How can some in need of help get it, becaue they may not know they could do better? They should make classes mandatory before you get the $$$.

September 22, 2011 at 7:13 pm |
  37. fred

How can you NOT have a job? Every day the newspapaer ahve dozens of jobs listed. The job websites have thousands of low-, middle-, and high-paying jobs in EVERY location in the USA in EVERY field of work at all training/experience levels. ANYBODY WHO says they CANNOT FIND A JOB IS FULL OF BS !! You're not looking or don't care and want sympathy and govt money. WELL F-U. I am NOT giving you lazy pukes my tax money.. Articles like this make me insane. !! I am mad as Hell and I am NOT going to take it anymore.! Stop govt handouts.

September 22, 2011 at 6:23 pm |
    • ummm....cheesteaks

Exactly. I have changed jobs 3 times in last 3 years. All moving up in payscale, because there was the opening for it. Admit it some of these people are really really dumb or lazy. My uncle sits on his fat ass cause he says he get's paid enough to not work. What a joke. Get a f*ck*n job.

September 22, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
    • Ellen

Have you ever been un- or underemployed, Fred? Have you ever applied for HUNDREDS of jobs and been rejected from all of them? Have you ever felt an iota of human emotion? Perhaps one day you will suffer and I hope, for your sake, that people are kinder to you than you are to others.

September 22, 2011 at 6:31 pm |
      • David in Corpus

I have been the druggie loser type and I have been the industrious worker type.
        News flash: Just because Fred doesn't understand how stupid people can stay stupid does not mean he has no compassion or human emotion.
        Also, your bleeding heart is showing. People starve, people die. Nothing will ever stop that. I have starved. I know what it is like. I learned an important lesson from it. Do NOT depend on others and maybe as well, try not to whine because desperation and whininess do not elicit sympathy from most people. Human nature libtard.
        I'm hungry, think I will go home from work (which I hate) and get something to eat with the money I earned.

September 22, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
    • T7K

So by that rational, there are roughly 15.5 million people in this country who are full of BS. If that's actually the case Fred, we have much bigger problems.

Sadly, it's not ~ you're just completely out of touch with reality. I mean seriously, you still say "WINNING!!!!"?

September 22, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
    • COlady

Did you not read? The first woman has 2 jobs. NOT ONE, BUT TWO!!! So obviously these jobs pay so low that her family still can't eat. Crap happens! Not everyone is looking for a handout, you Tea Party low life!! May you never know the fear these women feel.

September 22, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
      • David in Corpus

Man, reading libs on blogs makes me so ashamed. I used to be one of you, pathetic, whiney, thinking we allneed to hold hands and save the world.
        You people are so out of touch with how the world works, has worked, and will keep working for all eternity. Even after this planet is supernova vapor, the universe will continue forward on its relentless path.
        Why do you libtards think you can do anything about it? Why do you want to change things so much? Do you really think that you can control even 98 percent of what is going on around you?
        I have lived on the street, I was only about 2 percent more in danger than I am in my house.
        So sick of you people thinking you can alter human nature and mother nature to suit your sad lil' wooo is me hearts.
        Life sucks most of the time, deal with it, take care of your own and eat everyone else.
        sheeeesh. I am out of here, feeling vomity with all the pathetic libs being so libby.

September 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
      • Liutgard

David, you are the one who is sick. Go be 'vomity 'somewhere else.

September 22, 2011 at 7:24 pm |
      • David in Corpus

Liutgard, I am well aware of my sick mind. After all, I grew up in America, the land of oxymorons.
        Funny thing is, I was raised upper middle class and was a very sweet lil' boy, skinny, considerate.
        The bad people in life taught me to toughen up and I did. Thank you bullies and thugs for showing me that weakness is weakness and gets what it has coming. Now I am the predator and although I have to use drugs to soothe my guilty conscience I eat well and no one takes anything from me anymore.
        life is a btch homes, best to join her than take itup the keester.

September 22, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
    • Vipergtsrgt1

Just because jobs are posted does not guarantee you're going to get it. My best friend applied every day for a year just to finally get a job that pays slightly above minimum wage. My mother is very highly qualified, but she's been trying for 6 months. Some say she's over-qualified, for others, she's too old. I know there are lazy people who just don't try, but there are plenty of others trying very hard to make ends meet. When there are dozens of people applying for every job, that's bound to happen.

September 22, 2011 at 6:38 pm |
    • Camille

When there are more people looking for work than there are jobs available, there will be some people without work irrespective of how hard they try to find a job. I know some talented people who have applied for many, many jobs and have not even gotten a single reply. Small businesses require money to start and they fail most of the time. It's easy to sit at home and criticize people in these situations...sometimes people are fools and bring misfortune onto themselves but most people really do want to participate in society and work to earn money. Irrespective of what you may have heard, we are not all created equal...some people are born into bad situations for no fault of their own. When the private sector fails to meet the needs of our society, we have to use government to make life better for all of us.

September 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • Leo

@Fred: Can you tell where those jobs are. I have been helping a few folks to find jobs and have bought many news papers. When I called several employers who put adds on paper or on their displays, they said they are not hiring. May be those employers are in a game to steal money from government by advertising jobs they don't have.

September 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • Sue

Yeah, and for every "help wanted" ad, how many applicants are there? A few months ago, McDonalds hired 50,000 people.

They received millions of applications.

September 22, 2011 at 6:45 pm |
    • Whatever

It's so nice to know that there are still a few perfect people out there. I was starting to get worried.

September 22, 2011 at 6:46 pm |
    • Tammy

Wow. This is probably one of the most ridiculous comments I have ever read. I work in HR and I can say when we advertise a job, I get resumes from more than 200 people in 2 days. More than 80% of those are unemployed or underemployed. I guess we should all be as lucky as you and the folks that live in your world.

September 22, 2011 at 7:01 pm |
    • NoMoney

YES, stop government handouts to FOREIGN nations too while you are at it.

September 22, 2011 at 7:09 pm |
    • WTEFF

...and that explains the 9% unemployment right. People just don't want to work..Right.

September 22, 2011 at 7:17 pm |
      • yup

It's not that people aren't trying to find work WTEFF, it's that employers cannot find qualified workers. There are plenty of jobs out there.

September 22, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
    • Richard Van Treousne

they could be holding out for a management position like cousin eddie in the vacation movies....

September 22, 2011 at 7:57 pm |
  38. craig

I hate hearing :this country needs to change. The government needs to help!" The government is the problem. Relying on them is what cause poverty in the first place. Open you liberal eyes people, Try thinking for yourself and working for what you get and life will get better. Oh and since when is life suppose to be easy? Life sucks, you are the only one who can help yourself.

September 22, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
    • fred

The right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.. That's it! That's all that is guaranteed. Nobody ever said it comes from laying on the sidewalk with a cardboard sign begging. Get a job you lazy slob. STOP ALL GOVT handouts NOW. No money, no more people sitting around watching Oprah waiting for my tax money in their mailbox.

September 22, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
      • Ellen

Let me guess–you're receiving social security and/or medicare, right?

September 22, 2011 at 6:32 pm |
      • mike

Fred, you DO realize our nation was founded upon a lot more than just a 7 word phrase contained in the Declaration of Independence, right? Ridiculous.

September 22, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
      • mike

Also, fred, one measure of a civilized society is how it treats its less fortunate. If you don't like living in a civilized society, nobody is blocking the door...

September 22, 2011 at 6:37 pm |
      • mike

Sorry...I just can't stop. I cannot believe fred actually thinks that our rights as citizens were set forth in the Declaration of Independence. WRONG DOCUMENT, FRED. If anything this is proof that we need to increase the taxes put towards education.

September 22, 2011 at 6:39 pm |
      • Sue

"Get a job?" Sure! Will you hire me, please?

12 jobs in the newspaper . . . 12,000 applicants.

September 22, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
  39. billy

Then you have people on food stamps driving Escalades...

September 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
    • MoMo

then you have morons making up stories..

September 22, 2011 at 6:34 pm |
      • Walter

No he's not. I've seen it in some of the best guberment housing.

September 22, 2011 at 6:49 pm |
      • David in Corpus

So not true, come to corpus christi texas. Watch the women buy all their food for their rather large families with the loan star card (welfare) and then load it all up in a brand new Tahoe, or Humvee, or whatever.
        I especially like the 5000 dollar spinner rims.
        I would explain further, but libtards dont really want answers, they want nature to adapt to them instead of the other way around. When the coming civil war arrives in America, me and my kind will steal everything you have and either eat you or sell you to a rival gang (that we cant subdue and might was well trade with) as a s e x slave.
        Actually, who cares what they do with you as long as we get whatever we wanted for you.

September 22, 2011 at 6:50 pm |
      • Alissa

Wow David in Corpus, you are a poster boy for everything that's wrong with this country/world. The US used to be great, but now is filled with selfish, greedy compassionless people like you who only care about what they can get from a situation. Is Somalia really your idea of paradise? It's dog-eat-dog in the extreme...that seems to be what you and 'people' (I use that term loosely) like you seem to want America to become...

September 22, 2011 at 7:26 pm |
      • David in Corpus

Alissa, I tried the do gooder route for a long time girl.
        I am a product. i don't like what is happening to the country. I don't want any of us to live in somalia or suffer.
        It is just the way it is girl. I dont control it, I just adapt and I have adapted well. You wouldn't know it by looking but in real life me and my buddies look like all the other respectable people. Real gangers dont spray paint walls and wear their pants low. They work day jobs and help lil' ole' ladies change flat tires. When we are in the mood that is.
        I suggest you do some adapting too.
        I recommend a 40 calibre Taurus, cheap and reliable. Make sure you ahve at least 2000 rounds of ammo. A pump 12 gauge shotgun is a nice accessory as well. Become familiar with these weapons, play with them (unloaded), get used to how they feel, make them an extension of your body and you will kill instead of being killed. dont register them either.
        BTW, being ra ped in prison sucks. Try makin me feel better about that, it will never happen. I have had more evil pumped up me than can be imagined and you wonder why I am the way I am.

September 22, 2011 at 7:40 pm |
      • Alissa

Well David, I'm surely not interested in getting in an argument with you...you seem to have issues. Anyway I am a gun owner and believe in the right to bear arms. On the other hand I'm 'liberal' in my philosophy about life because liberal ideology resonates with me as a woman and a mother. And I'm not trying to pigeonhole anyone by saying this but I've heard the same 'life is hard and its about to get a lot harder' type stuff being said primarily by males who seem to be wishing for society to crash and burn so they can finally do what they've always wanted to do...which seems to be raping, pillaging and generally dominating anyone who is weaker. Apparently law in order is the only thing standing in their way. Whereas a woman/mother sees that if her neighborhood isn't a safe place for your child then its not a safe place for her child either, and works to expand values such as love, compassion, caring and trust so that all children can thrive.
        Interesting you should mention prison rape...to me that is the ultimate endgame...where you throw a bunch of hardened criminals together and they can only hurt and humiliate each other. That's why I don't believe in your dog eat dog philosophy. It doesn't have to be that way. People can and do perform acts of kindness for no reason except that they care about others and that's the world I want to live in.
        On the other hand I'm not stupid so I also have a gun. But I worry more about my son playing with it than the fact that I may someday need to use it. Fortunately here in liberal northern CA there is little crime and people tend to help each other out a lot.

September 22, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
    • mike

Billy, please provide a referenced statistic for how many people on food stamps drive recent-model luxury vehicles. If you cannot, you concede that you are wrong. And even if you can, if that percentage is not a majority, you're still wrong.

September 22, 2011 at 6:41 pm |
      • Walter

Who is going to publish a stat on that? If they did the working people would really be po'ed. So Billy wins. Now go out and earn your keep!

September 22, 2011 at 6:53 pm |
      • David in Corpus

My gangster buddies (I have a reputable job now, but still hang wtih them) love it when I tell them about these blogs. They tease me and call me school boy and such but they really love hearing this stuff. They make jokes about how uneducated they are yet they are still smarter (street smarts) than the average do gooder american. They laugh at people like you and steal from you and sell you overpriced drugs and fk your daughters when you are asleep at nite.
        Y'all really have no idea what it is like out there. You have no idea how they use you and detest you. Sorry bro can give you any real statistics. There are none, and of course that makes him soooooooo wrong and you sooooooo right.

September 22, 2011 at 6:56 pm |
      • yup

Actually mike, I haven't seen it, but my wife has told me of times she's been at the store and a family is buying all their food on food stamps and she feels bad for them only to walk out and see them putting their food stamp groceries into a brand new Cadillac.

September 22, 2011 at 7:14 pm |
    • VirgC

I see what billy is saying. This system is one of the most abused in America. It sucks because people like this could be able to get the food stamps that is sufficient for their families ifmoney wasn't being abused. Medicaide should be looked at intensely and filtered through so that people don't go hungry in the U.S. I still hate socialism.

September 22, 2011 at 6:59 pm |
  40. dowdotica

hey i have an idea what do you say we take half the money going into the prison system out of the prison system and give it to the poor and down troden instead of letting criminals live better then the woman working 4 jobs to feed her kids. At least she's working and not going to get out of jail just to turn around and go back to jail!

September 22, 2011 at 6:18 pm |
    • rhodesma

i couldn't agree more! i work in a prison, and trust me they live VERY well. 3 big meals a day, commissary every day (a store with NICE, name brand food), flat screen TV's. i don't even have a flat screen TV. it's horrific how well they live.

September 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • jcd

I agree. Prisoners who have done the most horrendous murders have it better in terms of food, medical care and sometimes even safety, than the working poor people on the treadmill. No wonder so many young 'uns are choosing crime. If you don't get shot, there really is not a losing side to it. Losing their freedom isn't a big deal when there wasn't much to lose, is the way they think, and if there's not much hope of getting ahead as a low level worker bee, they may be right.

September 22, 2011 at 7:44 pm |
  41. WOW

$400.00 a month in FOOD STAMPS AND THEY CANT MAKE THAT DO
    SERIOUSLY
    I love to eat and I love to cook EXPENSIVE FOOD and even I could survive on $400 a month with a few cut backs
    WHATEVER
    STOP SMOKING – STOP DRINKING – STOP EATING SO MUCH

September 22, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • mike

Read the article, dummy: "Even families receiving the maximum amount of food stamps still need about $206 more every month to buy the minimum amount of food as defined by the USDA." I'm pretty sure the USDA knows more about this than you do. But whatever, blame the poor! Keep beating the drum of class warfare, GOPers, even as you accuse everyone else of the same.

September 22, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
      • fred

WRONG. The USDA doesn't clip coupons and shop at Fairway and Costco. $400 feeds my family of 4 including paper goods and tioletries.

September 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
      • mike

fred, feeding your family only costs $3.33 per person per day? You're either a freaking liar, or you're feeding them garbage, or you're not counting school lunches. Seriously, you're full of it.

September 22, 2011 at 6:33 pm |
      • Liutgard

Dude, many poor neighborhoods are in 'food deserts'- areas where there's no grocery stores, just fast food and convenience stores. There aren't Costcos in every town, and a Costco card costs money. I have also noticed that most coupons available are for processed foods- expensive stuff with low nutritional value. If you want the latest cookies and chips or boxed meals, there's coupons. But there's no coupons for good potatoes, lettuce, and quality meat. Macaroni and cheese and soda is not a healthy diet.

September 22, 2011 at 7:33 pm |
    • Leo

They are talking about a family of four living on $400.00 a month for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. If you think you can do that come auditon with your family to a new reality show coming up soon where you will be given $450.00 a month to live with your family of four for six months.

September 22, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
    • Alissa

It really depends on where you live. $400 may go a long way in Missouri, but in California or New York it barely covers the basics. Also, when a mother is working long hours she doesn't have time to cook and has to rely on more expensive packaged foods.

September 22, 2011 at 6:55 pm |
    • dare

I have a family of 4 and live off of 70 bucks a week in groceries. We buy bulk rice, pasta when it is on sale for 80 cents a box. We buy frozen veggies when they are on sale for 1.99. So yes you can live with 400 a month. Man there are a bunch of people on here with no common sense. We only buy chicken when it is 69 cents a pound for a whole chicken. Here is a meal: whole chicken 3 dollars, bag of corn, 1.99, and french bread $1. Dinner: 5.99 for 4 people. Kids have PB and J for lunch with crackers, and water. Oh yeah that probably costs about 1 dollar. There must be spoiled a$$ people on these forums.

September 22, 2011 at 7:00 pm |
  42. Numbie

Wow, they do a report about hunger and yet they show a 250+lb lady with multiple kids. Another example why people shouldn't have kids they can't afford.

September 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • SB

I was thinking the same thing!! Quit eating your kids portion of food too! Damn!

September 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm |
    • mike

Here's a crazy thought: maybe she could have afforded them at the time, and then hit a rough patch? I know, I know...these revelations just come to me...I must have some kind of uber-mind...

September 22, 2011 at 6:26 pm |
      • Kam

Honestly the fact that so few people realize this is quite disturbing. I guess these people would rather no one have kids on the chance that you might not be able to afford one someday.

September 22, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
    • Margaret

Oh stop the fat bashing, part of the reason poor people are overweight is because fatty food is cheaper than healthy food.

September 22, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
      • fred

So, if she would just shut her piehole and live off the stored fat she can go months without eating her kids food! She'll get healthy and her kids will be fed. It's a WIN-WIN ! WINNING !!

September 22, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
      • mike

Charlie Sheen reference? Really? Move on.

September 22, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • Chuck

Another misconception... the CHEAP food is the MOST CALORIE DENSE food. She can't afford to go shopping at the local Whole Foods or some other organic foods place for yuppies and pay $4 for a bag of organic soy chips. Poverty and obesity go hand in hand. she probably hits the dollar menu items and McD's. Man, you people are really judgemental. you must be rich republicans.

September 22, 2011 at 11:03 pm |
  43. Marshall Vick

First lady is DEFINITELY eating enough, and the third one bad.

September 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
  44. ummm....cheesteaks

It seems like a contridiction that 1/3 of America is obese, 1/3 is overweight, and they say the other 1/3 is starving? Where's the healthy people. I see them out there. Seems like that fatties should fork over some of their gravy.

September 22, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
  45. kadafi

yeah this story should be told to young people who don't bother with birth control. but these young people don't read
    the news or consider this important information, thereby creating the cycle of poverty. and yes, most stories I hear
    regarding poverty and hunger involve people who have too many children. just a cycle of ignorance.

September 22, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
  46. Jen

Her body habitus suggests she has had more than enough to eat.

September 22, 2011 at 6:09 pm |
    • kadafi

maybe shes just pregnant again.

September 22, 2011 at 6:14 pm |
    • alimarparanormal

Or maybe she only eats high sugar, high carb foods (cheaper food is high in carbs, fat, sugar, etc). Just because a person doesn't look thin, doesn't mean they are not undernourished. What happened to the compassion in this country?

September 22, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
      • Scott

I ask that every time I look at comments on this website. Blame the victim, ignore their circumstances, and attack programs meant to make things better. It's a sad state of affairs.

September 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
      • tsnootch

Umm.....actually, if you've ever seen people in third world countries that are truly starving you will notice that NONE of them have body fat...none of them look like they've been eating well and you can see the persons ribs and other bones in detail....looks are not deceiving here....that woman in the video must be eating just fine or her family just recently had to start eating less because she is FAT....which means she is eating just fine

September 22, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
      • Kam

There's a difference between starving and malnourished. If you had a bowl of rice for every single meal you would not be starving but you would be malnourished. Furthermore when you become malnourished your body starts storing fat instead of losing it. I don't understand why people don't get this. I learned this in high school.

September 22, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
    • Billy

How's about thinking about what her diet consists of? HFCS is in almost every low-grade food or drink in America. Unlike regular sugar, HFCS is almost completely converted to fat by your liver immediately. That's without noting the fact that its a liquid-base which isnt as easily metabolized as solid HFCS, it doesnt stimulate insulin secretion and raises your triglyceride levels dramatically. There's a reason why we're a fat nation and it hardly has to do with how much we eat.

September 22, 2011 at 6:30 pm |
    • Ellen

Excuse me, Jen, but it is widely known that inexpensive, processed, boxed foods contain lower levels of nutrition, higher levels of fat, salt, sugar, and refined, unhealthy carbohydrates than fresh produce, lean protein, and whole grains. Perhaps instead of hating this woman for what you perceive are her shortcomings, you ought to excavate yourself and find out why you feel the need to malign her for trying to do the best she can. Shame on you.

September 22, 2011 at 6:35 pm |
      • Dee

Wrong – processed foods are not "inexpensive" as you claim, but actually very expensive. It is far cheaper to buy bulk brown rice, beans, green veggies, oatmeal, etc. but some people are just too lazy to cook healthy food. It is actually much more affordable, it just takes some effort. It is a lazy myth that fast food or processed food are "cheaper." Actually, it is much cheaper to eat a healthy diet, if you can make the effort to cook.

September 22, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
      • Kelly

Dee......were you not hugged enough as a child .....you are one hateful bi*ch.

September 22, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  47. Conservative

We are broadening the tax base so we are going to have to take 20% of that can of beans son.

September 22, 2011 at 6:07 pm |
    • JT

Oh please. Take your Rush/Beck crackpot economic theories elsewhere whackjob.

September 22, 2011 at 6:17 pm |
    • hahaha

Guess someone isn't good at detecting a joke.

September 23, 2011 at 9:11 am |
  48. angelina

You are missing the point. No one said that there aren't more difficult situations out there, but these stories still deserve to be told. Changes need to be made in our country; this shouldnt be happening in America. & unless you have been through this daily struggle, you have no reason to judge someone that is stepping up & trying to make a difference.

September 22, 2011 at 5:01 pm |
    • Tiffany Kwak

Make a difference and, put your tme and money into society. I grew up in household with domestic violence. and hunger. I have every right to judge.

September 22, 2011 at 5:22 pm |
      • AllThatGlitters21

Nobody has a "right" to judge anyone else. It is terrible that you suffered hunger and abuse in your life, and I honestly wish that you had never been put through those terrible things. I just don't think that permits you to say that someone else who is struggling has not suffered "enough" to be worthy of sympathy .

September 22, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
      • ummm....cheesteaks

Really AllThatGlitters21? You are telling me you don't ever judge people? I say you are a lier. It's human nature to judge, it's civility to restrain yourself from expressing your judgment, and it's called hate when you don't. Wanna be hippy.

September 22, 2011 at 6:20 pm |
      • mike

Tiffany, growing up in one is not the same as managing one.

September 22, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  49. Tiffany Kwak

I worked with with a secretary from the phillipines. She is an arrogrant selfish woman. Her parents are doctors in the phillipines and she lets evyone know how important she is. She lives like someone who earned a six figure salary. Her daughter was married in Belize at alavish resort and her mom paid for her wedding and her friends.
    True poverty in america is not the mother with the roach infested kitchen that she keeps clean. The mother who lives in the shelter with no apartment. Her face has been torn apart by a man who keeps beating her til she has no skin that is not bruised. Her kidz only meals are when they are in school. She works four jobs wiping floor and eats in a soup kitchen. Put her in your headlines.

September 22, 2011 at 4:27 pm |
    • martin2176

what has this article anything to do with your narration of Filipino story

September 22, 2011 at 6:11 pm |
      • JT

She's showing everyone how judgemental she can be.

September 22, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • Ahnuld Boymann

Maybe she should no longer stay with the man who "keeps beating her".

September 22, 2011 at 6:19 pm |
    • mike

OK, Tiffany. Do you also whine when they report the local storm, even though there was a tornado somewhere else?

September 22, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
  50. Truth

This is an utter travesty. Is there any suggestions on which charities are the best about seeing that the food goes straight to those who need it the most? Please advise if so.

September 22, 2011 at 3:12 pm |
    • Gg

Give the Salvation Army a call I'm sure they take food year round and distribute it locally to the needy

September 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm |
    • yup

There is something we can do, and free food and charity is not the answer. What is the answer is far too dark for humans to even consider. However if we dont consider it, we will never be able to move forward as a human race.

Otherwise, we could start with improving our school systems and properly motivate and educate our kids. If that cant help, at least its a start. Without a good education and environmental guidance, it must be very hard for a person to live in a society such as our current one.

September 22, 2011 at 6:22 pm |
      • mike

Hey, yup, if you're "dark" proposal was either to let them die or enact eugenics, you're proposing the opposite of "moving forward" as a civilized society. You're proposing the embracing of returning to the dark ages.

September 22, 2011 at 6:29 pm |
      • yup

No, but that is a good point. Lets say that eventually every person in this world alive has an IQ of just enough to be able to feed themselves, how would They be able to move forward technologically. Too me that could be a way backwards. Currently we halt evolution by keeping people alive who should have past on. This way they would not have past on their genetics to their offspring. Obviously you can say that people who are disabled still can help society prosper such as Stephen Hawking. But there is plenty of shades of grey when it comes to the genetic formation of a brain. How does a weak genetic pool bring you a strong civilization?

September 22, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
      • Jason

To make a comment like this on a story about hunger.... wow. Let me enlighten you to a little psychology. In the same way that your typical white supremisist is usually of below-average intelligence, feels frustrated most of the time, and forms an entire personality around constant feelings of inferiority, you too share that sad attempt to elevate yourself by degrading others. In your case it's the entire human species–to even hint at the notion that YOU know what needs to be done to advance the specied..... it is so freakin pathetic I seriously don't think you will ever understand. And the fact that you have no sympathy or compassion for millions of people who live with food insecurity just makes you a complete, total, worthless d-bag who is so underdeveloped that I really hope people keep you away from the impressionable young minds of children.

September 22, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
      • Ginamero

Jason, you are a horrid little man. Why must you be so racist? I'm about sick of hearing BS about white people. You don't know me, you don't know how I live or what I think...why must you disparage my race? Nasty, nasty little man...so typical of people named Jason who are usually of below-average intelligence, feels frustrated most of the time, and forms an entire personality around constant feelings of inferiority, you too share that sad attempt to elevate yourself by degrading others...Jason!

September 22, 2011 at 9:20 pm |
      • yup

Truth hurts Jason. Sorry you can't understand it. The way that you might think 'hand outs' are the way to go in society, is what's going to destroy us all. Sorry you can't see that far ahead. As for the compassion for people. Just because I am pointing out what will happen if we continue on this path, does not mean I do not have compassion. In fact it's quite the opposite. I would love to find a good solution wouldn't you? Seems like you just want to spit pointless hate from your mind. I'm sure all of us would love to hear a possible solution that you might have if you could just relax and leave your emotions aside.

September 23, 2011 at 1:36 am |