Breakfast buffet: National trail mix day
August 31st, 2011

While you're frying up some eggs and bacon, we're cooking up something else: a way to celebrate today's food holiday.

You can take this snack on the run, baby - August 31 is National Trail Mix Day.

Even if you're not setting off on a grand adventure today, trail mix is still a great snack to munch on wherever you go - but it gets even better if you're plunging into a hike.

This lightweight snack is packed with powerful carbohydrates and energy, depending on your blend. Grab some granola, dried fruit, nuts and chocolate bits, shake it up and snack it down.

Trail mix has been around a while, but the first literary mention is in Jack Kerouac's "The Dharma Bums," published in 1958. The snack previously flew under the radar and under different names.  The name for trail mix in Germany, Denmark, Poland and Lithuania roughly translates to "student feed."

After all, when Ramen noodles won't do, grab a handful of "student feed" to see you through.

1. Rachel

I love the trail mix !!!! And all the other wonderful foods you come up with !!! Good Job !!!!

August 31, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
  2. AleeD

Well all this helped me with was getting the munchies. Love the spicy Chinese mix with wasabi peas!

August 31, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
  3. wendy

i love me some trail mix!! i make my own and have it as an afternoon pick-me-up to get me through the day. just 1/4 c is enough protein and fruit to keep me going. no chocolate though... not a big chocolate fan. (blasphemy, i know. i apologize)

August 31, 2011 at 11:49 am |
  4. WasabiPotPie

I disagree with the picture. It is not Trail Mix unless it contains at least some M&Ms. This is an irrefutable, undeniable, law of the universe.

August 31, 2011 at 11:46 am |
  5. teamom

In Germany, this mix is called "Studentenfuetter". A correct transliteration would be either "student snax" or "college snax". High in protein, terribly high in sugar and saturated oils. In no way will this replace ramen noodles (monster high in salt, and water, which is filling). Unless you do the little vegan thing....

August 31, 2011 at 11:25 am |