Appliances Anonymous
August 23rd, 2011

Homemade ice cream is headed my way and I won’t have to lift a finger. That’s because I gave my ice cream machine to a friend of mine and he has big plans.

It took me a while to dig it out of the appliance cemetery - also known as the tippy top shelves of the cupboards in my kitchen. It was buried there after I had used it twice, for a banana pudding ice cream and a strawberry sorbet.

But I just had to have the machine after watching Oprah Winfrey on her old show talking rapturously about all the low-cal treats that could be made in the easy-to-use thingy. It was sort of easy to make the frozen desserts. But it was also easy to eat the whole dessert - which sort of canceled out the low-cal part. And then there was the cleaning of all the parts.

So now the machine is taking up residence at my friend’s house, much to the dismay of his wife. She feels they have enough small kitchen appliances crowding their cupboards that they already fail to use more than once a year.

Some of my seldom-used appliances arrived as gifts from well-meaning friends. Others were impulse buys to fuel my culinary dreams.

There’s the hand mixer, the bowl mixer, the standing blender, the hand-held blender. Then there are all the specialized things for chopping and slicing. And there’s the broiler in the stove, the toaster, the toaster oven, George Foreman’s grill, the microwave, the Crockpot.

Little things add up - like the cheese slicer, the regular grater I inherited from my mother, the microplane grater from a friend, the grater-attached to Tupperware that was gonna keep my work area cleaner.

I have a wooden, cookie roller thingy that was crafted in occupied Germany. I have a melon baller and an ancient curved grapefruit knife. Those sit in a crowded drawer along with other things I may use once in my entire life.

Maybe there should be rental stores of kitchen stuff that nobody really needs, but we all could take them home and use them once and admire how they look in our kitchen. And then take them back.

Posted by:
Filed under: Culture • Shopping • Tools

1. Victoria

I aboslutely love my george forman and use it for everything other than what it is intended for (meat). My favorite in the george is grilled sandwiches! I also have a great air-popper for popcorn but I haven't gotten a chance to use it lately.

August 24, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
  2. Bagel

We've got a juicer, blender, and tiny food processor that barely get used. Everything else gets used on a regular enough basis (ice cream maker, toaster oven, microwave, crock pot, stand mixer, scale, magic bullet, coffee grinder). I'd get rid of the juicer if I could get away with it without bringing down the wrath of my wife. And I'd get a bigger food processor if I could.

August 24, 2011 at 1:03 pm |
  3. CookintheKitchen

I cook and bake a lot – mostly from scratch with fresh ingredients, which I find to be nearly as easy and so much better than convenience foods. After 17 years of marriage, I've pared my kitchen down to just a few essentials. My go-to items are an old Sunbeam Hot Shot water heater (heats up about 2 cups of water to boiling faster than the stove or microwave, we use it all the time for tea, cocoa, etc.); Crock Pot, KitchenAid stand mixer and hand mixer, Magic Bullet with blender attachment, toaster, coffee maker and (less often) food processor and waffle iron. Everything else is handled by good knives, good pots and pans and a few key Pampered Chef utensils (hello measure-all cups, silicone scrapers and measuring spoons!). I have a huge kitchen and about 1/3 of the cabinets are empty. :-) Get the right equipment and you can do more with less.

August 24, 2011 at 10:00 am |
  4. rhminnesota

I love kitchen gadgets, but until recently, I've only lived in small apartments with no storage space, so I instituted a one week cooling off period before I purchased my gadget. It helped keep the crap at bay. I have a toaster, waffle iron, coffee pot and grinder, blender and (surprisingly) quesadilla maker that get used regularly. The crockpot and ice cream maker are seasonal, but i use them often enough to be worthwhile during their season. No fancy pots or pans or choppers, just a knife block from JC Penney's and Target cookware. A friend did introduce me to pineapple and apple corers, and I haven't looked back. Such time savers!! My one appliance that gets used maybe twice a year is the George Foreman. The meat comes out so dry that I sometimes have to baste it with the fat that drained off. This defeats the purpose, so I don't use it on principle. It does make a mean panini though.

August 24, 2011 at 9:49 am |
  5. Mike B

I used our stand mixer once per week for about 3 years, our toaster gets used daily, the microwave gets 5-10 uses per day, three frying pans get used multiple times per week as do the 3 or 4 sauce pans, the pasta pan gets used for a lot more than pasta, so usually once per week, wok gets used about twice per month, and with all that cooking, plenty of knives and other implements in use all of the time.

August 24, 2011 at 8:29 am |
    • Mike B

And that doesn't count the blender (3 or 4 times per week), the crock pot(two or three times a month), the deep fryer (once or twice per week), the waffle iron (at least twice per month), and the quesadilla maker (3 or 4 times per year).

August 24, 2011 at 8:34 am |
      • Danielle

Can I live at your house ?! Sounds like everyone is getting fed well there : )

August 24, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  6. Kris

I have..let's see...a frying pan, a microwave, a toaster, a coffee press, a coffee grinder, um....oh, a toaster oven and, and, uh, two kitchen knives, one for cutting up and/or peeling small stuff, one for big stuff, Oh, and a food dehydrator that I've had for years and use on a regular basis. Hmm....I think that's everything. Pretty basic here but I get good use out of everything.

August 24, 2011 at 2:37 am |
  7. Houstonian

I have my great Aunt Rosie's Sunbeam stand mixer with the original glass bowls, my mom's old blender, a food dehydrator, a crockpot that doubles as a deep fryer, a hand mixer, one of those electric can openers that doesn't leave sharp edges, a tiny 4 cup coffee maker, mom's electric skillet, a rice cooker, ice cream maker and a 1 cup mini chopper/processor. The coffee maker, hand mixer, crockpot/deep fryer, blender, and prep chopper get used all the time. My aunt's stand mixer is from the 60's and is getting ready to die, so doesn't see much use anymore. I want a KitchenAid stand mixer to replace it and a Cuisinart food processor. @Meg, I'd be happy to take the pizelle maker off your hands! I've got a great recipe for pizelles and can't find a pizelle iron down here in Texas. @Linda, I'd be happy to take your Tupperware grated too! We had the funky green oblong on with the bowl and frosted white lid. It was the best grated we ever had! I wish I knew what happened to it...

August 24, 2011 at 12:51 am |
    • Kelly

Check out Target's website, they have a pizelle maker for 39.99, online only. I am sure they ship to Texas. I have one and LOVE it for Holiday baking!

August 24, 2011 at 12:39 pm |
  8. CindyN

Let's see, visually going around my kitchen: we use a toaster, coffee maker with timer, electric can opener, deep fryer, rice cooker (but not for rice, for steaming vegetables and tortillas). I have a 35 year old blender and a 35 year old hand mixer; both from JC Penney, both used only occasionally and still work so why replace? My son uses an electric filet knife because he is a big salt-water fisherman. Outside of the aforementioned, I am pretty much a knife and frying pan girl, I was born in the 50's and learned to do stuff by hand. I can chop potatos faster with a sharp knife than anybody can with a slicer. I have a great technique for dicing onions which again, requires only a sharp knife. My crock pot, cheese boards, nearly every entertaining and/or cooking gadget have gone the way of garage sales. I do have an electric skillet stashed deep in the lower cabinet which I have used only as a griddle for pancakes which I haven't made in years. I'm thinking of selling my china on Ebay...

August 24, 2011 at 12:07 am |
  9. clay

I've accumulated: 2 sandwich makers, 2 deep fryers, an electric grill, a bread maker, a mini-food processor, a blender, a rice cooker, a flavorwave turbo oven, a food dehydrator, an electric drink mixer, a crock pot, toaster oven.... one as-seen-on-tv gadget I love but could probably live without: the Slap Chop.

August 23, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  10. katydid

Sadly the stainless steel toaster with the cloth cord that I grew up with circa 1953 just gave up the ghost! Going to refurbished.

The beehive Osterizer blender with original glass jar and rubber lid still going strong.

Kitchen Aid stand mixer also 49 years old is a workhorse. Can't say enough good things about the old "Made in America" appliances!

August 23, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Fifi

My mother-in-law seems to be the appliance and kitchen gadget fairy godmother. We have far more than we would ever want or need. I've donated, gifted and otherwise divested ourselves of most of the extras, but the hubby won't part with the ice cream maker. I resent it every time I see that space hog.

All you need is a sturdy set of cooking pans, three good-quality cooking knives, basic spatula, wooden spoon, metal spoon, straining spoon, a set of mixing bowls, a blender, a hand blender, possibly a microwave, a toaster or toaster oven. Oh...and an electric tea kettle. Gotta have that.

August 23, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  12. KeithTexas

Some I need some I use, none of them are necessary

August 23, 2011 at 9:19 pm |
  13. RJ

We have already worked on this issue due to lack of storage in kitchen. We used to have a toaster oven, thought we could not live without it. Then while waiting for a replacement part we set it aside. 6 months later when the part arrived we decided we liked the counter space better than the toaster oven. Any toasting is done in our wall oven.

August 23, 2011 at 7:06 pm |
  14. Julie

I'd accumulated 2 George Foreman grills, a bread machine a knife block and numerous "gadgets". I ended up giving the stuff away to relatives and to the good-will. Learning to make bread has been very rewarding. And I use my cast iron skillet to grill stuff.

August 23, 2011 at 7:02 pm |
  15. Nicki

i really love and use most gadgets i buy...the latest being one of those donut hole electric gizmos that i love! you can make almost any pastry mix (muffins, cupcakes, waffles, brownies, etc) and its a much healthier, more convenient, and less costly breakfast alternative so i use it at least once a week...i do have a stack of appliances in storage (electric skiller, 2 crock pots, blender, toaster oven, deep fryer) but that's only because my husband and i had to put something on our gift registery last year and we will need and use them once we're out on our own...but since we're living with mom & dad to pay down student loans i don't want to get my nice new toys dirty when they have ones that work and not enough space to keep 2 sets at the house... i may try to steal her breadmaker when we move out too because i use it more than she does lol

August 23, 2011 at 6:47 pm |
  16. sl

I'm a sucker for kitchen stuff. It makes me happy. Kitchen is stuffed to the gills. A friend banned me from going into Williams-Sonoma during trips to the mall with her. Living on countertops: KA stand mixer (use periodically); 14 cup food processor (use less periodically); mini prep food processor (use periodically); hi-end blender (use mainly in summer); mortar and pestle (basically a 14 lb. rock – use maybe 2x year); and toaster oven (use regularly). In storage: vertical rotisserie (set it and forget it! – use very rarely); electric turkey fryer (awesome but use only on Thanksgiving); rotisserie for bbq grill (after getting turkey fryer – never use, fried turkey beats rotisserie turkey); electric coffee pot (use rarely); rice cooker (use occassionally); electric knife sharpener (use rarely); and battery operated pepper grinder. This is only the electronic stuff (excepting the mortar & pestle). Don't get me started on the non-electric kitchen stuff. On a day to day basis, most things don't get much use. A good knife, fry pan and sauce pan pretty much takes care of most stuff. However, when making a complicated recipe or cooking for large groups of people, all the specialized stuff makes cooking/prep so much easier.

August 23, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  17. Andi

We are moving and have already gifted a ton of things to Goodwill. All have been Christmas presents from my well-meaning mother in law who doesn't know my tastes at all, lol. LOVE my Krups Coffee Maker & our NuWave oven, don't use the toaster oven anymore (kept the toaster) & occasionally use the juicer. Oh, we also have two Magic Bullets (one is a knock off) that I still use for morning shakes.

August 23, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
    • IHEG@ Andi

Does the Nuwave really work?

August 23, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  18. Teri

Sent all my small appliances to Goodwill when I got divorced and downsized kitchens. Kept the toaster oven and crock pot and that was it. I have since added a stand mixer to it, which is only used on holidays.

August 23, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  19. Mildred

I have a number of appliances, most are second hand or inherited.

KitchenAids stand the test of time, again and again.

August 23, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
    • Mildred

Although I was gifted with a hot chocolate maker that sits on the shelf.
      I also have a thing with collecting copper molds... usually from Salvation Army/Goodwill/Thrift stores.

August 23, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  20. Meghan

Ok, so I started off by laughing at the article and all the silly people in the world who have piles of stuff they don't use. Then I started counting off what I have vs. use..... Oh dear, apparently I am one of those silly people. My weekend to-do list now includes a trip to Goodwill!

Use: blender, stir-crazy popcorn, food processor, crock pot, stand mixer
    Have: Mr. Iced Tea, milkshake blender, electric griddle (2!), waffle iron, mini muffin maker, bread machine, electric can opener, and egg cooker. Mr. Tea was the only one I actually bought – everything else was a gift that I felt obligated to keep.

August 23, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  21. noly972

I regularly use my George Forman grill and my toaster oven. However, my automatic coffee maker gets most of my attention. It grinds the beans, brews the espresso and ejects the used grounds when it's done. It would be missed.

August 23, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
    • bhibsen

I use a French Press.

August 23, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  22. Didi

I was a blender-only kind of person until my husband got me a stand mixer. The mixing wasn't as big a deal as its ability to knead bread dough, and the grinder attachment saves me lots of time during hunting season. Our meat slicer doubles as a bread slicer, so we have whole grain homemade bread (except during the summer when I don't want to heat up the house), fresh venison sausage and all manner of baked goodies in far less time than if I'd still been doing this by hand. You can keep your juicers and George Foreman Grills and single-cup coffee makers, but I am not letting that stand mixer go.

August 23, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
  23. Mary

Use regularly: Large oval crockpot, small 4 cup heavy saucepan, large LeCreuset dutch oven, small LeCreuset dutch oven, wok-like frying pan, kitchenaid stand mixer, breadmaker, 8" square baking pan, toaster oven, 11/2 gallon tall saucepan with lid. Best knives I can afford, sharpened regularly by a professional sharpener (me). Never use: fish poacher, muffin pan, LeCreuset au gratin pans,

August 23, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • bhibsen

LOVE my dutch oven, though I don't know that this qualifies as an appliance. I have TWO Cuisinart ice cream makers and I use them both. I love my immersion blender (great for soups) and I have The Bullet, essentially useless, but adequate for frozen drinks and milkshakes. I basically use it as a blender. I used to have a Cuisinart but I gave it to a community residence I used to run when I was moving. I want to buy another, but don't want to spend the bucks. I also have a kitchen aide stand mixer that I use sporadically. I LOVE it!

August 23, 2011 at 3:09 pm |
  24. Evil Grin

I mostly picked out and bought every one of my kitchen utensils and appliances. So I mostly use all of them regularly. There again, by all of them, I mean a blender, a microwave, a rice cooker and a toaster. The only thing I really don't use at all is a chopper that I just can't figure out.

August 23, 2011 at 2:36 pm |
  25. Meg

Everything in my house is stuff I "inherited" from my mother-in-law when she moved in with us. I don't use ANY of it but I am not allowed to throw it away either. Argh!!!

She has everything from a Pizelle maker to an electric crepe maker to an ancient food processor to a popcorn machine to an ice cream maker. Did I mention she is a long-term diabetic and can't eat that crap. And she continues to buy it! Every couple of months she gets something new... never discusses it with me. She got all pissed off because she bought a blender and we already had one that was better!

The only appliances I use on a regular basis? My blender and my indoor grill (think george foreman but made by Cuisinart). There are a few things that are seasonal (I have an apple peeler/corer/slicer that is a godsend during the holidays) but other than that I don't have time to cook and my kitchen is so crowded with crap I couldn't cook even if I wanted to.

August 23, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
  26. Chris

"Linda Petty is an editor at CNN Living. She likes boxed mixes, tarted-up vegetables, letting produce rot in her crisper, eating breakfast at her desk, raiding your pantry, ice cream cones and other frozen delights."

Why does someone who has the tastes and kitchen habits of the average Midwestern trailer park housewife have a job as an editor of the Food section of a major media outlet? Isn't a job like that traditionally reserved for, oh, I dunno, someone with a little more refinement and class?

August 23, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Jerv

Who did you have in mind that has "a little more refinement and class?"

August 23, 2011 at 1:37 pm |
    • MalaDee

Well, since she's not living up to your expectations, maybe you'll find something more suitable to your tastes in the stfu cafe. Nothing to see here. Move along, now. Move along.

August 23, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
    • Ronco

"Midwestern trailer park housewife" Hitting a little too close to home Chris? Now be a good little b*tch and follow MalaDee's advice and have a seat in the stfu cafe.

August 23, 2011 at 1:59 pm |
    • mary

ah, it's irony.

August 23, 2011 at 6:28 pm |
    • VintageLydia

Funny, because every chef and cook I've ever met , even the insufferable foodies, usually admit to the same behaviors. If you're not having fun with food and being realistic about it, why even bother?

August 23, 2011 at 7:51 pm |
  27. cocorico19

I think my goal is to own EVERYTHING kitchen related!!! I love to cook, bake and do all that. Although I have one rule: I do not buy that crap from infomercials and I must have THE BEST. That means: Kitchenaid stand mixer, calphalon pots, super sharp $300 knives etc etc. Now this collection is slowly growing through holidays and birthdays and the like. My father/uncle are also chefs so I get their hand-me-downs! :-D yay!

August 23, 2011 at 12:57 pm |
  28. dnfromge

I have and use regularly: large Cuisinart, smaller mini prep Cuisinart, a Kitchen Aid stand mixer, two coffee grinders – one for coffee and one for spices like rosemary, a toaster, coffee maker, imersion blender, electric griddle and Cuisinart ice cream maker . I have and never use: George Forman grill, regular blender, crock pot, and an electric fondue pot.

August 23, 2011 at 12:49 pm |
  29. michele

I love small appliances and kitchen gadgets. Remember Lechters? That was the best store.

My mother used to give me something for the kitchen at each holiday and birthday. For the record, I am unmarried but for years, cherished the notion it would come. Now, that my mother is gone, I have a dear friend who gives fills the void. I look forward to seeing what she and her husband will think of next, The latest? Mini pie maker by Breville. LOVE IT!!

August 23, 2011 at 12:36 pm |
    • michele

I forgot. I use just about everything. I go through spurts; bread machine in the winter, ice cream maker in the summer. the only thing that is rarely used is the hand-held, rechargeable grater. My godmother even gave me a martini maker. I had never even made a martini before but now that I have it, it gets a good workout as well. Any my friends are so cool. Every time they give me an appliance, they give me a cookbook or recipe book in the case of ice cream.

August 23, 2011 at 12:43 pm |
    • Andi

I used to work at Lechters at the mall, loved that store! We got to get the "slightly" broken items brought back by customers.

August 23, 2011 at 4:20 pm |
  30. Don

The two most used appliances in my kitchen are the Kitchen Aid stand mixer and the 11 cup Cuisinart food processor. That's only because my wife makes a lot of bread and I make a black bean soup once a week in the cold months and process half of the beans to thicken the soup. Other than that the hand mixer gets used twice a year to break up Cincinnati Chili. I bought a brand new blender for milkshakes about 5 months ago but still haven't made one. I bought a deep fryer to make french fries for Poutine (so I could use my unused mandoline to slice the potatoes) and have made it once. I think small appliance retal stores would be a good idea. Just have to find a way to rent really cheap and still make money.

August 23, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • cocorico19

mmmm poutine.

August 23, 2011 at 12:48 pm |
  31. Honeydip74

I use everything but my blender and kitchen aid mixer. And I'm only NOT using the mixer b/c I can't think of anything to make that won't make me fatter. I just bought a Keurig though! I love it!

August 23, 2011 at 11:57 am |
  32. new mommie

The slap chop was the first thing I bought when me and my husband moved in together and it was the first thing I threw out! It was horrible! I knew my husband hates veggies and I figured with it I could cut them so small he wouldnt realize they wer in whatever I cooked but was I wrong! Everything stuck in the blades and the way its designed I couldnt get any thing out. It was impossable 2 clean... Now my mother in law brought over bottle warmers that we cant use because peices r missing and then the juiicer she gave us also is missing the top so I threw it all out!

August 23, 2011 at 11:42 am |
    • IHEG@New Mommie

KitchenAid actually makes a great "Slap chopper" that you just dismantle and pop in the dishwasher, I love mine- if you want to disguise the veggies chopping may not be the best method- rather puree, that how I sneak carrots into tomato sauce

August 23, 2011 at 11:57 am |
  33. Amayda

I have lots of appliances. However, most have been given to me by my mother in law as she is unstoppable in shopping but then realizes that she doesn't like to cook, and I do, so it works out nicely. I have to say that the only appliance that I haven't used is the ice cream maker. I have a kitchen aid stand mixer with several attachments, bread maker, deep fryer, immersion blender, stand up blender, food processor, mandoline with different blades, electric bread knife, air popcorn maker, giant oblong crock pot, pod coffee maker, apple peeler/corer, canning equipment (water bath & pressure) food mill, etc. About the only thing im missing is a juicer! :) And all are used somewhat regular basis too.

August 23, 2011 at 11:40 am |
    • Amayda

I also forgot the food dehydrator, george foreman grill, iced tea maker and toaster. :)

August 23, 2011 at 11:42 am |
  34. ETB

Of the small appliances, we use most of ours on a weekly or monthly basis: KitchenAid mixer, the food processor, Keurig, toaster, rice cooker, egg cooker and crockpot. Got rid of the George Foreman grill but I've held on to my apple corer and peeler for the once or twice a year that I use it.

August 23, 2011 at 11:21 am |
  35. VT Don

I have enough room and shelves in the cellar with many kitchen appliances that get used almost never.
    My wife will tell you we can't afford the room and almost never is really never.
    Be prepared. I cook frequently but apparenlty my connection to to more advanced cooking techniques is only a romantic one.

August 23, 2011 at 11:18 am |
    • VT Don

That is another good point from Kristine, everything is thrift shop or yard sale purchased.
      Not that crazy...yet.

August 23, 2011 at 11:21 am |
  36. Murphy

I have: Cuisinart, blender, stand mixer, toaster oven, microwave, coffee grinder and coffee maker. They are all used. (Cusinart less often than others, but when you need it, it is really handy.) Random stuff that we don't use often, or so far, ever: make-your-own shot glasses out of ice (gift); make-your-own popsicles (gift); those thingys you stick in the end of corn cobs (husband bought them, never uses them (although we also rarely have corn)); a tea ball (gift) and a second set of measuring spoons that husband brought to the marriage and refuses to throw out. We also have lived in a succession of apartments with small kitchens, and have no children, so when the time comes for a house, this may all change.

August 23, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  37. Kristine

I wait and by them at the local second hand store - some are still in the boxes, unopened! Save tons of money.

August 23, 2011 at 11:08 am |
  38. SPRINGSGRANNY

I'm 72 and have accumulated just about every gadget known to man! The ones I rarely use are the breadmaker, the carving tools to make fancy watermelons, 5 of my 6 coffee makers, the tools to slice, dice, chop etc from my Prestige Cookware that I just had to have, the ice cream maker (easier to just buy), the "Over the Hill" pan for cakes, the apple peeler, the pineapple slicer, 2 of 3 crock pots, the juicer, shredders of every shape and size, ravioli press (what was I thinking?), meat mallet – used once, 4 of 5 round rubber jar openers, forks with spiral handles to twist spaghetti – OMG!,
    I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. I have to clean out the closets and drawers soon!

August 23, 2011 at 11:02 am |
  39. Lizzie

I've finally learned my lession, after buying many things I just HAD to have, and using very few of them. Although every now and then I've replaced something I gave away, thinking I'd never use it again (blender and crockpot I'm looking at you). I've learned that many gadgets can be replaced by improvising with stuff you already have. I've also realized that as cool as they may be, some I just won't use.

August 23, 2011 at 10:52 am |
    • AleeD

LOL! That's what Alton Brown has based part of his career on. A regular MacGyver of cooking.

August 23, 2011 at 10:58 am |
  40. Kathy B.

We re-did our kitchen – more cupboard space. I pulled up everything that was in the basement. The wok was full of rusty water that had dripped from a pipe. I tried out the food processor – once – then took it to GoodWill. Stick me with a fork; I'm done. I use my blender, my mixer, and my toaster. Everything else – Adios! My new cupboards are full of beautiful dishes, wine glasses, and a couple of pretty pitchers.

August 23, 2011 at 10:50 am |
    • Danielle

That sounds lovely! I'm *almost* inspired to clean !

August 24, 2011 at 6:27 pm |
  41. JainaJade

I have a fair amount of appliances but most of them are used on a weekly basis. I'm hoping to one day receive a stand mixer and pass my well loved hand mixer on to my sister who recently got her first place. My favorites are my bread machine (self purchase) and my slowcooker (from an ex).

August 23, 2011 at 10:48 am |
  42. Anon_e_mouse

Small kitchens can be a blessing sometimes... we have to weed out stuff we simply don't use, like the ice cream maker that we used maybe three times before we gave it away five years ago. But what we do have right now – with the notable exception of my great-aunt's nutcracker, which we keep for sentimental reasons – sees regular use. Others have migrated to our children's houses – the second turkey roaster pan, used once a year at Thanksgiving, went with the move of the family gathering from our house to our daughter's, where it still does its annual duty. And the cast iron cornbread pans – useful when you're feeding four children and their friends who considered our house their second home – are now at our other daughter's house, where they serve a similar purpose.

August 23, 2011 at 10:44 am |
  43. DD

Only talking about non essential convenient appliances. Craziest one is the quesadilla maker. But I actually use it. Also the hot pie electric iron. Amazing what fillings you can put in sealed pasties. Most used is the George Foreman grill. Never used is the bread maker.

August 23, 2011 at 10:40 am |
  44. dragonwife1

My mother-in-law got us that rotating pizza cooker that's supposed to be soooo much better – don't have to heat the oven! cooks in minutes! wowie! Well... used it twice and it's hiding in the top closet. It took almost the same time to cook the darn thing as the regular oven, and was harder to clean up, plus the pizza cooked unevenly, you had to use only small to medium size pizzas, etc. Yuck, not a success. On the other hand, she did give us a bread maker, which I like. Homemade bread is wonderful!

Her "wooden, cookie roller thingy" sounds like it might be a springerle rolling pin. My mom had one, which disappeared into the chaos after she died... wish I could find one again; they're really cool, and I miss my mom making springerle. :-(

August 23, 2011 at 10:00 am |
  45. Muffin Tin

I am mostly a do-it-by-hand cook, though I stalked a big Cuisinart for several years. Amazingly, I found found the 14 cup model on a clearance table at half price. Of course I snatched it up, arriving home very proud of myself. Then, somehow, I wasn't as happy as I thought I would be. I guess it was the thrill of the chase that I had enjoyed. I kept it and a couple months later took it from the box, made a perfect pie crust, and haven't looked back.

August 23, 2011 at 9:59 am |
  46. VLR

I have the stand mixer, the blender, the food processor, and a number of other small gadgets. Of the ones that I have, I do used them quite often. I usually have to convince my husband NOT to buy me any more. He thinks I need the gourmet coffee/cappuccino machines ( I am happy with my regular coffee) and toaster ovens and pretty much everything else that would just clutter my kitchen. He even came home with the ice cream machine one day. I never used it and gave it away when he wasn't looking. He hasn't missed it!

August 23, 2011 at 9:56 am |
  47. Dori

My husband goes to small local auction sales and buys boxes and boxes (dirt cheap) of other people's ancient and largely unused kitchen gadgets and then brings them home to me hoping I will spend hours in the kitchen preparing home-cooked food for him. Sadly, he hasn't learned yet that this plan DOES NOT WORK FOR HIM ;-)

August 23, 2011 at 9:54 am |
  48. IHEG

I desperatly wanted a magic bullet, I could reciete the informercial in my sleep. Such an amazing appliance does everything in 3 seconds! I was THRILLED when I got it as a wedding gift 2 years ago....havent used it once. Sad I know. I hang my head in shame.

August 23, 2011 at 9:18 am |
    • The Witty One@IHEG

I was in the same boat and the only thing it actually worked well for was grinding coffee

August 23, 2011 at 11:24 am |
      • IHEG@TWO

I hoping to bust it out some day to make Baby food- yeah I realize that prob won't happen lol

August 23, 2011 at 11:29 am |
  49. AleeD

One year for my birthday, Hubby gifted me with a juicer. I used it 3 times and then returned it to the store (with his blessing). The waste from juicing was disturbing. All that fiber & nutrients just going in the trash was just wrong (and composting isn't an option). Before the juicer, I had been using my food processor to make smoothies. Little or no waste and much more satisfying. So that's what I went back to.

August 23, 2011 at 7:35 am |