August 10th, 2011

Scorpacciata is a term that means consuming large amounts of a particular local ingredient while it's in season. It's a good way to eat. Here's how to pronounce it.

A tomato and mayonnaise sandwich on store-bought white bread is the finest sandwich known to mankind.

This is not up for debate, and the ingredients are not negotiable. Salt and pepper are permissible, but if you try to get schmancier than that, you'll screw it all up, and your sandwich should be taken away from you until you learn to properly appreciate the simple perfection of this combination.

You will not have the opportunity to eat one between, say, mid-September and the beginning of next August, so it's best that you consume them as frequently as humanly possible while tomatoes are in season. One a day would not be overkill and you and your physician should just devise a plan for counteracting any potential over-mayonnaising you may encounter during this period of your gastronomic life.

There may not be Duke's mayonnaise for sale where you live. That's a shame, and you should really try to get some, because it's markedly less sugary than other commercial mayonnaise brands and allows the tomato slices to sing their luscious, sweet and tangy tune.

Hellmann's will also get the job done, but if anyone begins to bring up the possibility of making the mayonnaise for this sandwich at home ("It's sooooo eeeeaaasssyyy. Just use your bllleeeenderrrr..."), banish them to the porch until they have contemplated the error of their ways. Yes, even if it is raining. Simplicity is serious business here.

Same goes for the white bread. You must not make this bread, nor should the word "artisanal" be uttered within 100 paces of it. You must purchase this bread and the word "crappy" must be at least somewhat applicable to it. Chef Bill Smith of Crook's Corner restaurant in Chapel Hill, North Carolina makes his with store-bought bread (a move New Orleans chef Adolfo Garcia reportedly referred to as "ballsy") and the man's won or been nominated for every big cooking award under the sun. Trust him, for he is a professional maker of tomato mayo sandwiches.

Upon this soft, crappy bread, slather the mayonnaise. How thickly and on one or both slices - that's your business. On top of one slice, layer tomatoes.

Now, these tomatoes. You did not under any circumstances pick these up at the supermarket, unless you know for really and for truly that they've worked out some sort of deal with a local farmer. This isn't about being a snob; it's about making sure your food tastes of something other than vaguely sour red-colored packing material and was picked under humane conditions.

The tomatoes should come from a farm, a farmstand, a neighbor or if you're extremely lucky, your own garden. If the angels are smiling upon you from the heavens and you saved a basket of kittens from certain death on a railroad track in a past life, these tomato will be of an heirloom variety. They should be red (yes the yellows, oranges and purples are stunning to behold, but we're on a particular mission here) and taste of blue skies and blazing sun. At the very least, they should have been grown in soil rather than a hydroponic compound, but sometimes, we must make do. If they have seen the inside of a fridge, though, skip them. These are not the tomatoes you're looking for.

Cut the slices to whatever depth brings you the greatest pleasure. For some, this will be akin to the thickness of a thumb. Others may wish to skim this month's copy of Nightshade Enthusiast through theirs. Either way, you're in it for the juice - or rather the locular jelly, which is that luscious goop in the center that holds all the acid. There should be enough of that to stain the mayonnaise a light pink and make your knees buckle just a little bit.

When you're finished layering the slices. Stack on the top slice and...wait. It'll taste good right now, but it'll be even better in ten or fifteen minutes when the juice has had a chance to seep in and meld with the mayonnaise and juuuuust begin to sog up that first millimeter or two of bread. You've held out all year for tomatoes to be in season - what's a few minutes more?

And when you do finally grasp that sandwich with both hands, lift it to your mouth and take that first big, sloppy bite of summer, all the world will melt away for a minute. Then you'll start dreaming of your next one.

Previously - Heirloom tomatoes, explained and You really should be putting tomatoes in your drinks

1. kaydee

New Orleans muffaletta is by far the best!

August 10, 2011 at 10:32 am |
  2. deepsouth

It's incomplete without bacon and lettuce.

August 10, 2011 at 10:27 am |
  3. Tony Romo

I'm gonna have a horsemeat sammich with Dukes and mustard before the big game tomorrow night.

August 10, 2011 at 10:26 am |
  4. Andrea

Also, if you LOVE Duke's take a trip down to Alabama and try some Bama Mayo!

August 10, 2011 at 10:22 am |
  5. Danielle

The Snobby Grilled Cheese! Rosemary bread, applewood smoked cheddar, thick cut crispy bacon strips and thinly sliced Honeycrisp apples. Oh. mai. gawd. good.

August 10, 2011 at 10:20 am |
  6. Tom

You forgot the bacon and lettuce.

August 10, 2011 at 10:18 am |
  7. Andrea

OMG YES !! This article made me drool and lol to the point where I was almost twitching!

I'm an Alabama girl and I know tomato sandwiches. I know the feeling you get from walking into the back yard, picking a tomato & eating it like an apple. OMG I want to share a sandwich with the author.

August 10, 2011 at 10:12 am |
  8. I'm hungry now

What about tuna sandwich? Except what I do, is I mix the tuna with mayo (of course), but I also mix in red chili sauce, so that it makes it a little spicy, with a GREAT taste. Then fry an egg, put on top of tuna, then put pepperjack cheese on top, which melts due to heat from egg. YUM!

August 10, 2011 at 10:12 am |
    • Vic in Oregon

Yuck!

August 10, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
      • Ann

Agreed. Love tuna salad (with either onion and parsley, apples and celery, or corn niblets), but fried eggs are just not food in my opinion. Stinky slime. I would have to be near starving before I would eat a fried egg.

August 12, 2011 at 9:31 am |
  9. Steve

True southerners do this sandwich but use fresh made biscuits instead of the white bread (which is still very good). A fresh, hot biscuit, thick slice of home grown tomato, slather on the mayo, add a little salt and pepper, and serve with a glass of cold sweet tea. It's heaven and makes me yearn for home

August 10, 2011 at 10:10 am |
  10. John B

It is totally unAmerican that no one even MENTIONED bacon in this article.
    Are you INSANE!
    Have we gone so health-concious crazy that the reverential murder of a swine go so soullessly unspoken!
    Ah, may it not come to tears...

August 10, 2011 at 10:08 am |
    • Ann

I don't think the bacon was left out because of any health concerns – it's just that, if you add the bacon, you completely change the sandwich. I love BLTs, too, but sometimes leaving off the salty, strong bacon flavor really lets you appreciate the flavor of a perfect tomato.

Tomato sandwich on FIRM white toast, bit of mayo (Hellmans), lettuce and American cheese, or spinach and fresh mozzarella. Yum.

August 12, 2011 at 9:29 am |
  11. KBGen

I'm sorry but is this a hoax? That's like saying mac and cheese with hot dog pieces is the best main course ever. This sandwich is what you make when you don't have the ingredients to make a delicious club with fresh bacon or a hot pastrami sandwich.

August 10, 2011 at 10:08 am |
  12. Homegrown

YUM – but I enjoy BACON in my sandwiches!

August 10, 2011 at 10:07 am |
  13. Debbi

I voted Hell yes on this but with a caveat: I would like to add 2 thick slices of good country bacon, broken in half and evenly covering the bread to every other sandwich, you know – just so I get a little protein in there :)

August 10, 2011 at 10:07 am |
  14. matt

how are you forgetting adding salt and pepper on top of the mayo? it brings it all together!

August 10, 2011 at 10:06 am |
  15. MJ

I just know you wrote this for me!! I am currently in Carolina Beach eating those sammies all day long. All my relatives know that this is what I have been waiting for all year and they bring me all their homegrown. Yummmmy!! Hope you also eat what you write!!

August 10, 2011 at 10:06 am |
  16. Joe

Seems like a far-too-minimalist reduction of a BLT.

August 10, 2011 at 10:06 am |
  17. Me

I WILL BE HAVING ONE TONIGHT!! I MAY ALTHOUGH ADD SOME AVOCADO! WOOOOHOOOOO

August 10, 2011 at 10:06 am |
  18. David

I use Mayo, just not a fan of that much at one time. For me, a better sandwich is a Salami, Pastrami, Avocado, Lettuce with Mayo and Mustard on White or Wheat. All day long, baby. All day long!

August 10, 2011 at 10:05 am |
  19. Jeff

Sorry, but the Muffelletta sandwhiches at the central grocery in New Orleans are the absolute best!!

August 10, 2011 at 10:03 am |
  20. Gozorg the Mighty

On behalf of the Galactic Federation, I would like to express my utmost displeasure at the selection this site has made regarding the best sandwich in the Universe. The best sandwich is clearly sliced Kzinti meat on Cnathix bread, topped with sauteed holybdash!

August 10, 2011 at 10:03 am |
  21. Tomatoes

are acidic and some people have digestion problems. I love tomatoes, but when I was a young'un, I always enjoyed a lettuce and mayo sandwich on white bread during the summer. Fresh lettuce, washed, is juicy without being drippy.

August 10, 2011 at 10:02 am |
  22. Carrie T.

Are you kidding? A BLT (with tomatoes from my parent's garden, of course) is the best sammich ever!

August 10, 2011 at 10:02 am |
  23. Daniel

This was great when Tom Robbins first wrote about it, charmingly and graphically, no less than 6 years ago.

August 10, 2011 at 10:01 am |
  24. Homegrown

YUM – I want BACON in my sandwiches!

August 10, 2011 at 10:00 am |
    • Alexander Walker

Bacon... thick sliced, slow fried, totally crisp. And a Rutgers tomato. (RU, Rah, Rah!)

August 11, 2011 at 12:17 pm |
  25. Doug Mitchell

Good sandwich that can be made even better, if only one would use salt rising bread in lieu of store white bread. Grandparents throughout the 50's made the special trip to the bakery once every two weks, for the sole purpose of obtaining salt rising bread for making fresh sliced home grown tomatoes sandwiches, which also included Duke's. I liked my salt rising thinly sliced and lightly toasted, and as I sit here writing this post, the fond memories of my grandparents and there wondeful ways overwhelm me.

August 10, 2011 at 10:00 am |
    • conchchowder

Order your salt rising bread from Carolina Mountain Bakery in Asheville, NC.

September 10, 2011 at 6:24 pm |
  26. Laur

Mayo is nasty. But I was actually thinking of this last night. I roasted a juicy roma tomato in the oven, with salt and pepper. Then had some chipotle laughing cow cheese spread on some whole wheat toast – add the roasted tomato, and it was the best sandwich I'd had in a long time.

August 10, 2011 at 9:59 am |
  27. Dr J

Mario is close, but he lacks the prime ingredient. To make the white-bread-tomato-and-mayo sandwich perfect, add a couple of slices of bacon. Then you have it...

August 10, 2011 at 9:59 am |
    • Pistolpete

Agree Dr. J. The best Sunday hangover sandwich is a toasted tomato and bacon sandwich. Not salt-reduced bacon or fancy bread neither. Here in Canada we get awesome hot-house tomatoes for cheap in summer too.

August 10, 2011 at 1:46 pm |
  28. Erlinda

Actually, I think it is the SECOND best sandwich in the universe. Pimiento cheese (on crappy bread) is the first best sandwich. THEN, said tomato sandwich on crappy bread. (Sorry, I like – no, I LOVE mine – with seasoned salt. YUMMMMMMY!!!) You didn't ask, but the third best sandwich is a good old peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich (on crappy bread.) You are brilliant to caution folks to find REAL tomatoes for this. A newbie who uses fake tomatoes would never be converted.

August 10, 2011 at 9:59 am |
    • Ms. Grammar

Totally agree. Those are my favorites, as well (and in the same order). Who'da thunk it? Great minds and all that...

August 10, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
  29. Nerdgirl

Turkey and swiss all the way baby!

August 10, 2011 at 9:58 am |
  30. Newman

This weeks' best sandwich in the universe is brought to you by Duke's!

August 10, 2011 at 9:58 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

I know it seems like they must have sponsored it, but I assure you, they didn't. I just really, really like the stuff and buy it every time I visit my in-laws in North Carolina. I grew up on Hellmann's, but switched allegiances.

August 10, 2011 at 10:13 am |
      • I Heart Evil Grin-

LOL@ Kat, I grew up in Maine and it was Hellmonds or nothing (per my parents), but I moved to High Point for a while and got hooked on Dukes, I am just greatful that they carry it here in MA

August 10, 2011 at 11:22 am |
      • Ms. Grammar

I always heard that Duke's and Hellman's were the same – just marketed under different names in different parts of the country. They both have the same tag line: Real Mayonnaise. Anyway, I know our Wegman's carries Duke's so I 'll pick up a jar over the weekend and give it a try.

August 10, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
      • Kris

I grew up on Hellman's as well. I converted to Duke's as an adult when I started teaching myself about food and cooking after being raised by a mom who didn't really know how to cook great food (God help her, LOL). Duke's is all I'll use for anything from sammies to deviled eggs.

August 10, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
      • IHEG

@Kris, did we grow up in the same household? lol, dad was a chef so mom never tried too hard

August 10, 2011 at 3:34 pm |
      • Kris

@IHEG – LOL... I WISH my dad was a chef! Dad was often deployed (Navy) and mom was/is a teacher, so time was a bit of a factor with two kids. And it didn't help that she just didn't like to cook! Even now, I think dad cooks more than mom. I started teaching myself how to cook at an early age since mom wasn't Betty Crocker. My husband's lucky I'm not like my mom!

August 10, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
      • Alexander Walker

Mz Grammer: Hellmann's and Best Foods are the same mayo. It's Best Foods on the West Side of the country.

August 11, 2011 at 12:14 pm |
      • Betsy

Duke's is completely separate from Hellman's and there IS a taste difference as noted. Less sweet (never could understand why there's sugar in store-bought mayo) to the taste and it doesn't have an aftertaste.

Freshly-picked tomatoes, still warm from the sun, make the BEST sandwiches and a tomato/mayo sandwich is the best of the best in the middle of summer. Now, in the winter, I prefer the hardier sandwiches like Ruebens. Rolly's (way down there) sounds just about right. :)

August 11, 2011 at 7:38 pm |
  31. Lee Kaplan

Are you kidding? Whoever thinks this is the best sandwich in the world clearly knows nothing about food.

August 10, 2011 at 9:57 am |
    • james

you are correct sir, jg

August 10, 2011 at 10:05 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

I'll argue that it's all about knowing what's good WHEN. Right now, this is the best sandwich. In December, it's something else.

August 10, 2011 at 10:53 am |
    • Sencho

With all due respect to Ms. Kinsman, I'd sooner question her cred for not knowing how easy, affordable, and worthwhile it is to make your own mayonaisse. To me, a beefsteak picked fresh, immediately sliced, and served with salt and pepper IS summer and cuts out the carbs and fat in Ms. Kinsman's simple serving suggestion.

August 10, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
    • Sencho

And given the heavy-handed product placement in this piece, I also find myself feeling marketed to by a corporate shill.

August 10, 2011 at 11:49 pm |
      • Kat Kinsman

Nope - no corporate shilling, I promise. As a good pal of mine, a food writer himself, says - sometimes the right wine is a very wrong wine. I'm extrapolating this to say that sometimes a meal calls for PBR rather than microbrew, and sometimes, the right mayo for a dish is the one you grew up on.

Not a cent from Duke's for this. I don't need their cash and they didn't ask for free advertising from me. When I write about a product, it's because I like it and personally use it.

August 10, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
    • Sencho

Have to take you at your word, but a bit of advice... in the future, suggest your favorite brand name ingredient only once in the body of your article and skip the full-color product placement money shot of the product of itself. Whether you realized it or not, it paints a picture you might not wish to be painting.

August 11, 2011 at 8:19 am |
  32. Colleen

Grilled ham and cheese!!

August 10, 2011 at 9:56 am |
  33. the2 chefs

Sorry but no great sandwich is made on crappy store bought white bread. That's like framing a Monet in a Walmart frame.

August 10, 2011 at 9:55 am |
    • Colleen

I agree whole-heartedly.

August 10, 2011 at 9:57 am |
    • Ms. Grammar

It's still a Monet.

August 10, 2011 at 12:11 pm |
  34. Rosiepose

Love fresh tomato sandwiches, but the part about crappy white bread is "bull"................nice toasted whole grain bread, soy free mayo and fresh tomatoes in season from the farms........THAT is delicious and healthy.........don't try to sell this baloney..................

August 10, 2011 at 9:54 am |
    • Erlinda

It might be healthy, but it surely can't be fun to eat.

August 10, 2011 at 10:02 am |
      • Linda

Guess you've never tried it Erlinda...because its delicious...much tastier and less greasy than mayo!

August 11, 2011 at 2:04 pm |
  35. Mavis

I agree to a point, but my favorite tomato sandwich is on my Mom's homemade white bread with just butter and salt. Gotta be homegrown tomatoes, though, or this sandwich doesn't make any sense.

August 10, 2011 at 9:45 am |
  36. Dave

Fresh mozzarella, roasted red pepper, sun dried tomatoes, some thinly sliced proscuitto and basil with a drizzle of good balsamic on a rosemary ciabatta. Now that's the best sandwich ever.

August 10, 2011 at 9:40 am |
    • threescale

You are very correct

August 10, 2011 at 10:06 am |
    • numbnut

Yum, reminds me of when I was growing up. My dad made the best sandwich: Fresh Italian bread, mayo, couple slices of Genoa salami, tomato slice and mayo.

August 10, 2011 at 10:22 am |
    • John in Florida

You should try it on grilled garlic bread.

August 11, 2011 at 11:05 am |
  37. monkeyrotica

Mayonnaise makes monkey's pants explode.

August 10, 2011 at 9:39 am |
  38. Peg

I always toast the white bread; it's the best sandwich ever.

August 10, 2011 at 9:39 am |
  39. Paul

That may be good and all, but the best sandwich in the world, by far, is the Shooter's Sandwich: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gallery/2010/apr/07/how-to-make-shooters-sandwich.

August 10, 2011 at 9:28 am |
    • Colleen

Jeez, that's one SERIOUS sandwich!

August 10, 2011 at 10:01 am |
      • Ant928

Looks like a Philly with an attitude problem! :)

August 10, 2011 at 11:11 am |
    • blackfire

Wow!!

August 10, 2011 at 10:59 am |
    • Kris

HOLY BAJEEZUS... I'm making that for my husband when he gets home from deployment!

August 10, 2011 at 3:20 pm |
    • CJ

I made this once. It's good, but I felt kinda dumb using a whole rib eye steak for it (haven't followed this link, but the recipe I used called for rib eye). I'd probably go with a cheaper cut if I made it again.

August 11, 2011 at 7:50 am |
  40. Ruth S

Tomato and PEANUT BUTTER. And you definitely have to eat it standing over the kitchen sink.

August 10, 2011 at 9:28 am |
    • Colleen

.. is that a joke? That's like people who eat carrot sticks with peanut butter. I just don't understand it.

August 10, 2011 at 9:58 am |
      • Ms. Grammar

Try before decrying.

August 10, 2011 at 12:09 pm |
      • guest

it's good

August 10, 2011 at 1:12 pm |
      • kajira69

now, if you said peanut butter on celery, you would get my attention. my mom loved tomato sandwiches; guess it was a poor folks' treat. i don't much, but both the grilled cheese (Kraft slices, sometimes doubled!) and the PBJ make me drool :-)

August 11, 2011 at 7:30 pm |
  41. MarkBee

Cuban Sandwich is the best !!

August 10, 2011 at 9:25 am |
    • Dirk Nowitzki

Mark Cuban? EWWWWWWW–Nasty!!

August 10, 2011 at 10:19 am |
  42. Mark Newbold

We call these 'kitchen sink' sandwiches- they're so juicy you need to eat them over the sink! Delicious

August 10, 2011 at 9:22 am |
  43. Alice

Sorry, grilled cheese (preferably American) on wheat bread is tops for simplicity and good old fashioned best sandwich ever.

A close second is PB & J. Ah. Can't beat it.

August 10, 2011 at 9:22 am |
    • Colleen

soo good :) We don't eat no Wonder Bread

August 10, 2011 at 10:02 am |
      • Ann

Not all white bread is Wonder bread. Try a "country white" type. It's a bit denser, and won't squish down to a flabby pancake like Wonder bread.

August 12, 2011 at 9:22 am |
    • John in Florida

try the grilled cheese with sliced tomato.

August 11, 2011 at 11:02 am |
  44. MJG

I'm basically a Reuben guy, but once in Amsterdam I had a sandwich of pepperoni, goat cheese, and arugula that was fantastic. A bit too pretentious, I suppose, but it was darn good!

August 10, 2011 at 9:20 am |
    • Mavis

Sounds good! I wouldn't call it pretentious.

August 10, 2011 at 9:48 am |
    • Kris

That actually sounds delicious! Might have to try that tonight for dinner!

August 10, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  45. jon

Um uh...No.

August 10, 2011 at 9:16 am |
    • mimi_nef

Agreed. It's wrong for two main reasons.... Mayonnaise and white bread.

It's disgusting, it's repulsive and it's so very very white trash.

Sliced white bread is awful. It is disgusting. Mayonnaise is hideous. It is fat and cholesterol and greasy blandness.

Now.... Let's discuss a nice tomato sandwich with some spicy mustard on a whole-grain foccaccio (toasted, of course). It may not be the world's best sandwich, but it's the world's best TOMATO sandwich.

August 10, 2011 at 9:55 pm |
      • Cindy

My, aren't we pretentious.

August 11, 2011 at 8:12 am |
      • It's Just a Sammich@Cindy

Post-tentious, too.

August 11, 2011 at 8:19 am |
      • Matt@mimi_nef

I think your birth certificate has expired.

August 11, 2011 at 8:47 am |
      • Suzie

O come on.....live a little. So stuffy. Bet you're loads of fun.

August 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
      • Ronco

Mimi is proof that you can take the girl out of the trailer, but not the trailer "shame" out of the girl. Ever notice that the people who typically call others "white trash" or "trailer trash" are pretty trashy themselves? Get over your complex Mimi, oh and BTW? your sandwich sounds disgusting, kinda like your attitude.

August 11, 2011 at 1:25 pm |
      • Jenny

And you know what is white trash – – how?
        Good heavens – what a lot of folks with no sense of humor.

August 11, 2011 at 1:43 pm |
      • Jenny is a racist

@Jenny, I didnt see where she was called white trash? It said trashy, why you gotta make this a race issue? Are you a racist? wow, I wouldnt be broadcasting this if I were you! Oh and if your looking for a definition of trashy? LOOK IN THE MIRROR

August 11, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
      • Ronco

Jenny, no sense of humor? what about Mimi_nef's post was supposed to be funny? OH are you back pedaling because you ARE mimi_nef?

August 11, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
      • Pam

@Jenny is a racist.....apparently you didn't read Mimi's post correctly......

It's disgusting, it's repulsive and it's so very very white trash.

August 11, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
      • Jenny is a racist

@PAM, apparently you did not read MY post correctly, please re-read before you comment further

August 11, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
      • Cartman

FIGHT! FIGHT!
        *waves & jumps up and down*
        OVER HERE! FIGHT!

August 11, 2011 at 2:52 pm |
      • Jenny is a racist

@Cartman, OMG, LMAO and hey she tried to take the snacky cakes and cheesey poufs I brought you, I was minding my own business and she came outta no where.

August 11, 2011 at 2:55 pm |
      • tazer warrior princess

Jesus Christ on a Bicycle, you people need a hobby. All this piss and vinegar over a freaking sandwich?

August 11, 2011 at 2:56 pm |
      • Jenny is a racist

@tazer...YUP! slow day at work today and I really don't want to crack open another redbull

August 11, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
      • Jenny is a racist

@tazer, BTW? Jesus Christ on a bicycle has me STILL laughing and it's been a few minutes, so thanks.

August 11, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
      • Bonzo

@mimi: Next time you buy panties, get the right size. What a poseur!

August 11, 2011 at 4:23 pm |
      • Ann

Mustard on a tomato sandwich? You should be arrested for even suggesting such a crime.

Mayo is full of fat, but anything is fine in moderation. You don't have to put it on by the bucketful. As the hair gel commercial used to say, "a little dab'll do ya."

As for white bread – I prefer something a bit denser than plain white bread, but homemade is fine. Something doesn't seem right about using rye or whole wheat with a tomato sandwich.

Lettuce or spinach leaves help, too.

August 12, 2011 at 9:18 am |
  46. Dryarae

Leftover Thanksgiving turkey slices, bacon, tomato, onion, mayo, spicy brown mustard.... And whatever kind of bread that makes your mouth salivate by just thinking of it... Om nom.

August 10, 2011 at 9:15 am |
  47. Amayda

Homemade white bread toast, slathered in homemade pesto, topped with left over chicken and shaved white cheddar. Heaven.

August 10, 2011 at 8:49 am |
    • Ant928

Pretty close but mine is Italian bread...roasted chicken (that was smeared with pesto before roasting), sun dried tomatoes (oil packed), and sharp provolone...

August 10, 2011 at 10:47 am |
    • H

Too complicated. If more than i ingredient for bread then not simple enough

August 10, 2011 at 3:07 pm |
  48. Elvis-sitting on the pot

Slap some PB&J,plus some sliced Nanners on it and I'd eat it.

August 10, 2011 at 8:32 am |
  49. beenz

Harriet the Spy liked tomato sandwiches, but I'll pass.

August 10, 2011 at 8:27 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

Ten beeeeeeeelion points to Gryffindor for the Harriet the Spy shoutout. LOVED that book.

August 10, 2011 at 8:46 am |
      • Truth@Beenz, Kat

Didn't Harriet the Spy get waterboarded by Donald Rumsfeld or something?

August 10, 2011 at 9:39 am |
    • Beckers

Ditto loved that book wil now have to try this sandwich

August 10, 2011 at 9:56 am |
  50. AleeD

The picture reminds me of the sloppy post-Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches we had growing up. Yum.

Not a big fan of tomato only sandwiches. (Sorry Kat.) I would, however add some mozzarella, fresh basil and a sprinkle of balsamic vinegar for a cold caprese sandwich. Great for the hot Summer we've been having.

August 10, 2011 at 8:23 am |
    • jenny

I grew up in VA and the summer staple was home-grown ripe tomatoes on white bread with Duke's mayo...wonderfull and this article brings back such nice memories for me! Still my favorite sandwich, simple and not expensive for any budget! Thanks.

August 10, 2011 at 10:15 am |
      • Kris

Really? I am a Virginia Beach native (still live here) and have never heard of making a mayo-tomato sammy. Might have to have a talk with my mother!

August 10, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
      • Bonzo

@jenny: I don't know if you've ever had the good blessings to enjoy salt-risen bread but tomato and mayo on salt-risen is, to me, the gastric summertime ultimate. We used to get ours at Kern's Bakery in Bristol, VA, but they've since either stopped baking it or stopped shipping via overnight. (stuck near Buffalo, NY)

August 11, 2011 at 4:28 pm |
      • Jazzderry

what about the lettuce? its vital in my opinion for a good sandwich.

August 11, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
    • I Heart Evil Grin-

I agree. As for this sandwhich, to each his own, but that sandwhich (appreance wise) does not do anything for me,

August 10, 2011 at 11:18 am |
    • Dave-D

Great AleeD! If a few slices of bacon fell on that you would have my fav.

August 10, 2011 at 1:18 pm |
      • Alexander Walker

YES! Needs one word: Bacon, bacon, bacon! OK, that's three words, so sue me.

August 11, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
    • Dennis

That sounds good...my fave is tomato, lettuce, vidalia onion and swiss on toasted peasant bread with Hellman's mayonnaise. That is my Sunday afternoon sandwich with a glass of black rasberry seltzer made with my Sodastream. Life Is Good.

August 10, 2011 at 6:16 pm |
    • incredulous

So weird that I happen upon this story and your post was at the top of the list. I just today brought home everything for tomato/mozzarella sammies on fresh french bread and I always use balsamic and basil. Bought shroomage, too, in case I decide to toast them open-face and slather on some buttery sauteed shrooms, but still, weird timing... Been one of those weeks.

August 10, 2011 at 7:18 pm |
    • Liz S.

It's all about the tomato. It has to be a home grown Ohio tomato.

August 10, 2011 at 10:17 pm |