Breakfast buffet: National hot fudge sundae day
July 25th, 2011

While you're frying up some eggs and bacon, we're cooking up something else: a way to celebrate today's food holiday.

When it comes to fudge, failing can be fun - July 25 is National Hot Fudge Sundae Day!

Does it really get any better than digging a giant spoon into a tall glass stacked up with scoops of vanilla ice cream and hot fudge sauce?  A simple treat it may be, but you'll feel like a kid again.

You already know the history behind the sundae, but can you take a gander at how hot fudge sauce came to be?  The ingredients in this sinful sauce are usually cream, sugar and butter ... much like fudge.

The story is frustrated cooks who couldn't master fudge often ended up with a gooey fudge sauce-like mixture that never set up. So, they did what any self-respecting person would and should do: poured it over ice cream and/or anything else that needed a good strong dousing of chocolate.

So what are you waiting for? Get your failed fudge on and treat yourself to a hot fudge sundae.

1. Jean

The hot fudge sauce recipe in the Silver Palate cookbook is so good, just READ the instructions.

July 26, 2011 at 7:58 am |
  2. s kel

im making fudge as i blog, no not crapping, but chocolate fudge on ice cream

July 25, 2011 at 11:45 pm |
  3. Breaking News!

Scientists have discovered that hot fudge is the leading cause of happy children in America. When reached for comment, children everywhere said, "nomnomnomnomnom".

And now back to your regularly scheduled Eatocracy...

July 25, 2011 at 5:14 pm |
  4. Lady Godfrey

I've been putting hot fudge over fresh blueberries, and topping with cream. Yum!

July 25, 2011 at 12:50 pm |
  5. Ms. Grammar

The best hot fudge sundae I ever had was at a little restaurant in Monroe, MI called Little Dixie. Two scoops of vanilla bean ice cream (they made it on site) covered with Saunders' hot fudge – all in a giant cream puff shell. OH MY GOD!!!!

July 25, 2011 at 11:58 am |
  6. Ms. Grammar

Anyone from Michigan knows about Saunders' Hot Fudge sauce – the BEST in the world! I also love homemade hot fudge. If you make it correctly, it kind of "sets up" when it hits the ice cream and you have to chew it. I may have to make a run to Cold Stone this afternoon.

July 25, 2011 at 11:56 am |
  7. PBLover

"Failed fudge" is the only kind I can make - I guess I have a lot of company!

July 25, 2011 at 10:46 am |
  8. Mare

Add some Spanish peanuts, whipped cream, and it's a "Mexican" sundae – my favorite.

July 25, 2011 at 10:12 am |
  9. Steve-o

Hot fudge sundae made with chocolate ice cream, nuts and hot fudge. That's all I need.

July 25, 2011 at 9:18 am |
  10. Mildred

I had a "Hot Tin Roof" sundae at a ice cream stand local to a couple of my friends. Hot fudge, peanut butter, and peanuts. It was the perfect thing in the middle of the heat wave.

July 25, 2011 at 9:18 am |