Feeding our appetite for food television
May 9th, 2011

Food has been a part of our TV lineup even before Julia Child's classic show "The French Chef" took off in 1963, but since then, it's become an increasingly inescapable mainstay.

Between the Food Network and Cooking Channel, the "Top Chef" franchise on Bravo, the Travel Channel's "No Reservations," "Man v. Food" and "Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern, plus "Hell's Kitchen," "MasterChef" and "America's Next Great Restaurant" on broadcast networks, we're tuning in for a lot of eating and cooking.

It's not hard to understand the popularity: Production values of these shows may vary, but if they're not entertaining us with standard reality-TV shenanigans, they're exploring a topic we can all dig into. Food TV has an obvious appeal for those who want to learn more about cooking and cuisine, but it's also an easy way to chill out even if you don't.

Read the full story "Obsessions: Getting our fill of food TV" on CNN Entertainment.

Posted by:
Filed under: Obsessions • Television • Think

« Previous entry
  1. Mildred

Last Cake Standing has more drama than most of the others. I do love seeing the process of creating the cakes though.

May 9, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  2. AleeD

Frequently, the last thing I'll have on the idiot box before I fall asleep is some kind of food TV. There must be something to it.

May 9, 2011 at 2:35 pm |
    • Mildred

Well, it's a lot more interesting than "reality tv"!

May 9, 2011 at 2:41 pm |
    • AleeD@Mil

Ayyymen! I am SO not a fan – except for DIY network & HGTV. ;) How 'bout you?

May 9, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
      • Mildred

I hated it when MTV first came out with The Real World.

The cooking shows, like Last Cake Standing, Top Chef, etc... those are better- there is an emphasis on the food that I love... the drama isn't *the* reason for the show.

May 9, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
      • AleeD@Mil

Caught what must have been the end of Last Cake Standing last nite, cuz all I saw was the drama. :( I do like watching the Food Network Challenge among others

I stopped watching MTV a looooong time ago. There was an rather large gap in my cable viewing for several years. When we did finally get MTV it was nothing but reality TV – no more videos, so I've blocked it.

Remember when "reality TV" was the nightly news? ;)

May 9, 2011 at 3:13 pm |
  3. Evil Grin

I'm waiting for the next generation of food television, where, while watching a particular show, you can punch a few buttons and have that food replicated in front of you. Instant dinner. That way when they are judging on a show like top chef, we'll finally be able to know just how nitpicky they actually are.

May 9, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
    • Mildred

And audience voting based on the sample that comes through?

May 9, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
      • Evil Grin

Sure, why not. The ultimate way of judging a food show.

May 9, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
  4. Jerv

If I had cable, I'm sure I'd be diggin' all the shows mentioned (maybe not the reality drama, though) but I have found that PBSs recent change of format to "create' with a line up of travel, arts and crafts and cooking shows to be wonderful. Lydia, Daisy, Home Test Kitchen– even the x-jailbird Martha is great.

May 9, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • Mildred

I don't have cable myself, but when I visit a particular group of friends about once a month I get a chance to catch up. One of them works for a TV station that's ultimately owned by a cable company, so they get the whole nine yards... so this past weekend I got a chance to catch up on Last Cake Standing, a few Good Eats episodes, and some other random Food Network shows. (There's a lull when the kids are doing other things, life is going around, and I can watch some TV... and most of the cooking shows are ok for the kids to walk in on too.)

May 9, 2011 at 2:11 pm |