February 23rd, 2011

When Earl Stinson started receiving radiation treatments for prostate cancer, he knew where to go for advice. He turned to Lindy Atkins, a cancer survivor and fellow "ROMEO."

"ROMEO (retired old men eating out) groups spring up all over the United States," Stinson tells CNN. "They have no organization, no members, no requirements, no dues and no officers, and if you try to organize it, you have a riot on your hands."

Across the country, men like Stinson and Atkins are joining the commitment-free club. These ROMEOS vacation in Florida, play golf during the week, and when they come together, they're just looking for fun. What it takes to become a real ROMEO is all in the name.

"No requirements," says Stinson. "Nothing required of us other than coming in and eating breakfast and talking about whatever you want to talk about."

Read Hanging out with the ROMEOs

Posted by:
Filed under: Culture • Eating Clubs

1. CynicLgrrl

–make that the 'lead in' heading.

February 24, 2011 at 3:57 pm |
  2. CynicLgrrl

:::cringing at the 'double entendre' and the visual induced by the title of this article:::::

February 24, 2011 at 3:54 pm |
  3. Justina

By the way, don't eat too much before or after a prayer meeting. Stuffed stomach make it hard to pray and it's too late to eat after a prayer meeting. Having frequent prayer meetings is good for mind and body this way as well. Of course pray in Jesus' name. God sent His only Son for mankind. God hears all prayers in Jesus as His Word says so.

February 24, 2011 at 2:21 am |
    • Snowbunny

WTH?

February 24, 2011 at 2:23 pm |
  4. Justina

Man should never stop changing the world for good however old he is. First, be a prayer warrior. Prayers alone literally knock down empires as well as corrupt human hearts. Then think about what else you can do to help humanity. No retirement for Christian men and women as long as life continues. You'll get plenty rest after meeting Jesus.

February 24, 2011 at 12:06 am |
    • CarpeDiem

That is a philosophy I can agree with. Too bad it is a way of life that is being rejected and thrown to the curb.

February 24, 2011 at 1:31 am |
  5. Justina

They should have a prayer meeting – real acts on changing the course of history for good. That's what real men do for all ages.

February 23, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
  6. Justin Bieber

Yeah!

February 23, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
  7. Matthew

Is this what DINKs (double-income-no-kids) do when they reach retirement age?
    I feel a bit sad for these old men, who apparently have no grandchildren to spend time with.
    And what happened to good-old-fashioned preparing one's soul for a happy death?
    We've gone back to the pagan, "Eat and drink, for tomorrow we die."

February 23, 2011 at 11:55 am |
    • Evil Grimace

What are you even talking about?

These guys get together every so often to hang out with other guys their own age in their same situation and eat a meal. How would you know whether they have grandkids or not? For that matter, why should their whole lives be validated by whether or not they have grandkids.

These guys don't look anywhere near where they should simply be waiting to die, so that makes you so-called pagan attitude completely invalid, even if it had actually been a correct interpretation of that passage, which it was not.

February 23, 2011 at 12:04 pm |
      • Truth@EGrimace

You don't even need to be old...The guys from my church do this once Saturday a month. The conversation varies but is always interesting. It's a good time.

February 23, 2011 at 12:13 pm |
      • Evil Grimace

Heck that's what me and my evil pals do, and we aren't anywhere near retirement. We simply call it hanging out. It's what you do with anyone you get along with.

February 23, 2011 at 12:16 pm |
    • Snowbunny@Matthew

I would assume they enjoy each others company or they wouldn't meet up with one another. When I see elderly men together at a restaurant they usually bring a deck of cards and play games. I always hear laughter too! I bet they do have grand children but their not with them 24-7. :)

February 23, 2011 at 12:10 pm |
    • Righton

Why do retired people's lives need to revolve around their grandchildren? I just had a child and my inlaws are nuts about the kid. I think he's great, but I probably should, but they are so overbearing it's not even funny. It's time that grandparents get a life!

February 24, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
  8. Justin Bieber

Golf sucks, but not as bad as my music.

February 23, 2011 at 11:45 am |
  9. Justin Bieber

Totally

February 23, 2011 at 11:42 am |
  10. Evil Grimace

Maybe it's my evil mood today, but I have to say that I'm not at all fond of the close up food-into-mouth shots that food shows always seems so intent on showing. I don't mind watching from afar, so to speak, but when the mouth takes up the whole screen, it's not appealing.

February 23, 2011 at 11:12 am |
  11. Jdizzle McHammerpants

Ooooo! Golf season right around the corner. YIPPEE!

February 23, 2011 at 10:12 am |
    • AleeD@Jdizz

Golf's weird. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go get it!

February 23, 2011 at 12:07 pm |
  12. RichardHead

Guess Cinderella now knows where Romeo has been hanging out!

February 23, 2011 at 9:49 am |
    • Clay

Don't tell that to Juliet.....

February 23, 2011 at 1:56 pm |
    • Justina

Clay, that was funny. Do you think Richard really thought it was "Romeo and Cinderella"?

February 23, 2011 at 11:55 pm |
      • RichardHead@Justina

Romeos into 3 somes. Just sayin'!

February 24, 2011 at 2:38 pm |