Coffee klatsch
February 23rd, 2011

Pssst! Got a sec to chat?

Consider the daily Coffee klatsch post as your VIP lounge – the primary comments thread for readers who'd like to chat about topics not related to the articles we're running. That way, everyone knows where to find each other, and each post's comments section remains on topic.

Seriously, I can't stop thinking about ramen noodles. Not fancy ones - cheap, college student fuel. When is the last time you had some?

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Coffee Klatsch

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. wendy@best quote ever

Who is John Galt?

February 23, 2011 at 5:31 pm |
    • Truth@Wendy

My absolute favorite book of all freakin time. Coming soon as a movie. I only hope they do not butcher it too badly.

February 23, 2011 at 5:35 pm |
      • wendy

agree 100%. i want to see how they're going to do the bridge..and her landing the plane... and hopefully they fill the roles with appopriate people vs the like of angelina jolie and brad pitt...

February 23, 2011 at 5:56 pm |
      • Truth@Wendy

I picture:
        Jodie Foster as Dagny
        Willem Dafoe as Galt
        Jimmy Smits as Dacuhna
        William H. Macy as Reardon's wimpy brother
        Matt Damon as Reardon

February 23, 2011 at 6:01 pm |
      • wendy

i was thinking jodie foster also for dagny!! i like dafoe for galt.. he's just weird enough to be that mysterious... for Reardon though.. i'd like Christian Bale... i love how he owns each character he plays... watched Newsies over the weekend..what a GREAT movie/musical.

February 23, 2011 at 6:10 pm |
  2. Jdizzle McHammerpants

Gotta keep the theme going, though I think March I will bring about a different subject:

– "Oh, shit!" – Data, "Star Trek: Generations", on realizing the Enterprise was going down.

– "Do you want to tell me what’s bothering you or would you like to break some more furniture?" -Deanna Troi to Worf, Star Trek: The Next Generation, “Birthright”

– "Assimilate this!" -Worf, Star Trek: First Contact

– "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably." - Captain Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie (The Drumhead) <-Great Quote, by the way.

– "There are four lights!" - Picard (Chain of Command, Part 2) <--great episode on torture

– "Life forms.... You tiny little life forms..... You precious little life forms.... Where are you?" - Data, singing and playing the control pannel like a musical instrument, Star Trek Generations

February 23, 2011 at 5:30 pm |
  3. Evil Grimace

Alright a few quotes from me:

1. This is the captain speaking. We're having some trouble with our clearance so we may experience some turbulence.... and then explode. – Serenity (By the way the next line after that was, "Let me know if that happens")
    2. He did a little too much LDS in the '60s. – Star Trek IV (I don't know why, but I've always found that funny.)
    3. Never give up, never surrender. – Galaxy Quest
    4. Are you drinking skim milk because you think you're fat? Because you can drink regular milk if you want to. – ND
    5. Rrraaaarrrrrr – Godzilla Vs. well, anything.

February 23, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
    • wendy

i miss Firefly!!

February 23, 2011 at 5:42 pm |
  4. Chicago Lady

from the movie "Clue"
    how many husbands have you had?
    Madeleine Kahn – Mine or someone else's
    & "flies are where men are most vulnerable"

February 23, 2011 at 5:17 pm |
  5. Chicago Lady

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step -Lao Tzu

February 23, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  6. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ Truth

Really? No, that is truly an interesting bit of information you got there my friend, I see why you are called truth. ^_^ Any Idea why they changed it?

February 23, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
    • Truth@Sirius

I kid...that is a line from "Seinfeld"...Thought you may have been a fan...

February 23, 2011 at 5:10 pm |
  7. MT Miner

1: Failure is NOT an option
    2: Second place is this first looser
    3: Lead, follow, or get the F!@$ out of my way
    4: Stupid people shouldn't breed
    5: See number 4

The first 3 grace my office wall. 4 and 5 pertain completely to the day i have had, look out Moose Drool tonight.

February 23, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  8. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ Alee D

I did not know there was a gay beer post. Link if you don't mind. I would love to see that.

February 23, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  9. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) 5@5 quotes

5: I'm tired of these mother loving snakes on the mother Loving plane!! -Samuel L jackson, Snakes on a plane
    4: In the eyes of the ranger, any wrong you do he's gonna see you... -Theme song from Texas walker ranger
    3: Tomorrow is a mystery, yesterday is history, but today is a gift, thats why it is called the present. -master Si-fu, Kung Fu panda
    2: They say we must fight to keep our freedom but lord knows there as got to be a better way -Edwin Star-War
    1: Why can't we be friends? -War- Why can't we be friends.

February 23, 2011 at 4:58 pm |
    • Truth@Sirius

Did you knwo the original title of "War and Peace" was supposed to be "War: What is it good for"...?

February 23, 2011 at 5:02 pm |
  10. Tazer- 5@5

1. A strong drink
    2. A present
    3. A surprise visit from a friend
    4. A major D'OH moment to laugh at
    5. Chumarinos.

And

1. The whole bird vs. coconut debaucle from The Holy Grail
    2. "Help! Help! I'm being repressed!" Holy Grail
    3. "Just smile and wave, boys, smile and wave..." Madagascar
    4. "Ess-caap-aaayy... It's spelled just like escape! (or something to that effect)" Finding Nemo
    5. The "meow" scene from Super Troopers. "Do I look like a cat to you, meow?"

February 23, 2011 at 4:55 pm |
    • Chicago Lady

Yes, Super Troopers!

February 23, 2011 at 5:09 pm |
  11. DJChilllyPhil@Sirius

The power kicked back on after a minute or two, but the network was damaged during the outage, I think. Regardless, everything's up and running again. Makes me cringe when I think about just how long it took for us to get the network back up...

February 23, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  12. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ Devil grin

5: TXT messaging. May depend on the other person but atleast it gets a decent convo going hopefully. >_>
    4: Troll hunting on Cnn. Sometimes this may be a gold mine for hours and hours of humor especially when you find yourself with Vapors. haha
    3: Posting on one of those meat forums. Vegans and over weight americans flock to those.
    2: Writing Haikus. Writing in an form is usually fun.
    1: Kicking minios around. Honestly when isn't that fun?

February 23, 2011 at 4:33 pm |
    • AleeD@Sirius

"... meat forums" Have you visited the post about gay beer?

February 23, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  13. Truth@5@5

Ok, movie quotes:
    1. "I Love You." – Leia "I know" – Han
    2. "We all try, you succeed." – Rick Blaine, Casablanca
    3. "And she's one of the few people whose respect I'd like to have" – Rhett, discussing Mammie in "GWTW"
    4. "You haven't heard the last of this!" – Margaret "I wasn't listening to the first of it!" – Hawkeye
    5. "You'll have to convince me. I am what you call one of them there septics" – Archie Bunker

February 23, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
    • AleeD@Truth

Ohhhhhh, you've just brought back a wonderful flood of memories. All in the Family had some awesome quotes, but MASH's were my faves. Between the sarcasm and word usage on that show AND inheriting my Dad's pun-man-ship, I've just pretty much summed up my sense of humor.

February 23, 2011 at 4:34 pm |
      • Truth@AleeD

I had a very short-lived career managing a staff several years ago. ANY of the episodes where Hawkeye was left in charge was very similar to my tenure in management.

February 23, 2011 at 4:37 pm |
  14. AleeD@Make My Day Better

1 I win the next powerball after EG
    2 That 5pm happens RIGHT NOW and I get to go pick up Bubble Buddy and GTF home!
    3 That my boss pulls me into his office and tells me I'm getting a 20% pay raise effective um-eediatly.
    4 That I don't wake up at 4:15am again tomorrow
    5 That my keys fit the 2011 Mustang Roush someone left for me in place of my truck

February 23, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  15. JBJingles

Quotes:
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    Napoleon Bonaparte

"Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps."
    Emo Philips

February 23, 2011 at 4:17 pm |
  16. AleeD@5@5

1 Anything from "Airplane!"
    2 "I don't think you know what that word means."
    3 "... retrieve his ill-gotten booty – or his ill-booten gotty"
    4 "get this walking carpet outta my way"
    5 "[enter any name here], I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore"

February 23, 2011 at 4:12 pm |
    • Truth@5@5

1. A good drink
      2. A call from a friend I really care about
      3. No traffic on the way home.
      4. REALLY good sex
      5. A great meal.

February 23, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
      • Evil Grimace

No traffic on the way home would be a miracle.

February 23, 2011 at 4:32 pm |
      • Truth@EGrin

No, a real miracle would be no traffic on the way to the home of a friend you really care about with whom you are about to have really great sex, after which you will share a really good drink and a great meal...

February 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
      • Chicago Lady

Sign me up for lots of #4

February 23, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • Chicago Lady

#2 – I LOVE me some Princess Bride

February 23, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
      • AleeD@CL

It's been a long time since I've seen it, but that line has stuck with me thru the years. I need to see it again.

February 23, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
      • Truth

"Have fun storming the castle..."

February 23, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
  17. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ Dj

Well then, welcome back to the party, how did you ever manage to keep sane w/o the power?

February 23, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
  18. Evil Grimace

5@5 question: Top five things that make your day better fast.

I could really use the suggestions.

February 23, 2011 at 4:09 pm |
    • AleeD@EG's 5@5

1 Day ending @ 7am today
      2 Whomever peeved our deal EG, get their comeuppance right smack in front of EG
      3 The minions finally succeed and CNN becomes Eviil's News Network
      4 "Firefly" gets renewed with the original cast
      5 EG wins Powerball

Will that do for a start?

February 23, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
      • AleeD

Damn! Shoulda been "our DEAR EG"

February 23, 2011 at 4:18 pm |
      • Evil Grimace

An ENN does actually appeal to me.

February 23, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
  19. DJChilllyPhil

HOLY CRAP! WAAAAAH!

Our internet and network crashed after a power outage and we just got everything back up and running!

February 23, 2011 at 4:07 pm |
  20. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ jingles

Where was the the little wascal hiding?

February 23, 2011 at 3:53 pm |
  21. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ jingles

I would like to suggest top 5 fav quotes. They can be from movies, books, games, etc.

February 23, 2011 at 3:52 pm |
  22. JBJingles

Oh and I found that 8th bottle of vinegar last night!! Malt vinegar...so had me some fish 'n chips with it. :)

February 23, 2011 at 3:51 pm |
  23. JBJingles

Looks like most everyone is having a thoroughly awful day, so what are we having for 5@5 today?? Make it easy for those of us on limited brain cells at the moment.

February 23, 2011 at 3:50 pm |
  24. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ truth

Ahh one of the few times re-gifting is more than acceptable, it's necessary. ^_^

February 23, 2011 at 3:46 pm |
  25. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ truth

Never heard of it, recent show?

February 23, 2011 at 3:40 pm |
    • Truth@Sirius

Apparently it is on Showtime, and is a black comedy, but nurses are raising %#@$ over harmful stereotypes. I think some re-gifting will be happening in short order.

February 23, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

What was the trivia question?

February 23, 2011 at 3:44 pm |
      • Truth@Sirius, JDizz

7% of women claim to be addicted to this..."

February 23, 2011 at 4:12 pm |

Tabloids...

February 23, 2011 at 4:26 pm |
      • AleeD@Truth

Thought it said 70%

February 23, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
      • Truth@AlleeD

No, it was 7%...Previous guesses included shoes, chocolate, facebook and farmville. Some clown called in and said his #@%$, which got beeped, but was pretty funny...

February 23, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Same thing.

February 23, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  26. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ Jerv

Take it easy Jervy and have a good one. Enjoy the finer tastes of whisky.

February 23, 2011 at 3:30 pm |
  27. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ Queenie

Ooh silly Queenie, don't you know? Breathing is only required from a physical stand point, Once your in the spirit realm it's not needed anymore ahahaa Ooh silly queenie, it's okay I see your still attached to your fleshy squishy form. :-P

February 23, 2011 at 3:28 pm |
  28. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ AleeD

OOOOOOOOOOHH Well that makes a lot of sense. First off, let me thank you for the understanding of ignorance ^_^ and finally thank you for the very informative and very thorough explanation on BW3s, because they just opened one up here and I was curious about the place but hesitant to go, but now that I know they have wings (One of my personal favs ^_^) I shall go there personally. Ever thought of bein a spokes person for em? :-P

February 23, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • AleeD@Sirius

Hmmm, I thought I already was! ;))))))

"There's no shame in ignorance, but stupidity pisses me off!"

February 23, 2011 at 3:25 pm |
  29. Truth@All

is anyone here a fan of the show "Nurse Jackie"? Seems I just one a season of it on DVD for answering radio trivia...

February 23, 2011 at 3:22 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

You just one a season?

February 23, 2011 at 3:41 pm |
  30. Queen of Everything

It is now 3pm and I'm finally eating lunch. I think this day is officially a s-tfest. Why must people try to challenge the well known fact that breathing is indeed required for life functions to continue?

February 23, 2011 at 3:18 pm |
    • Jerv@Kweenie and All

Sounds like a lot of us Klatcherz have had that kind of day today. Hope things wind down for y'all. I'm going to go home and drink some whisky to wash this sh$tday away.

February 23, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
    • AleeD@Jerv

Any particular brand?

February 23, 2011 at 3:31 pm |
  31. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ Tazer

I don't know, I was wondering about that myself. He came in ranting and raving and after explaining to him that he needs to sign in and wait his turn he gets the bright Idea that if he eats the sheet, he will be the first name on the list and be helped right there and then. >_>

February 23, 2011 at 3:11 pm |
    • AleeD@Sirius

Good Grief Charlie Brown!

Where do you work that you have to put up with troglodytes?

February 23, 2011 at 3:29 pm |
  32. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ Jingles

Thank you, Thank you. It was difficult and had me sweating on a few parts but I managed to do it. Hahahaha and I noted the crackberry, Very nice. Which model?

February 23, 2011 at 3:05 pm |
  33. Jdizzle McHammerpants

'Sup?

February 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm |
    • Jerv@Jdizz and All

Busy as hell here at work. Hey, you ever get into Babylon 5?

February 23, 2011 at 3:08 pm |
      • AleeD@Jerv

I've been known to talk alot about nothing at all.

February 23, 2011 at 3:26 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Not really. Looked ok. I'm the kind of guy that likes to start series from the beginning.

February 23, 2011 at 3:42 pm |
  34. Tazer@Sirius

I cracked up so hard reading about the sign in sheet fiasco. Seriously, wtf is wrong with some people?!

Hahahhaaa

February 23, 2011 at 3:02 pm |
  35. JBJingles via the crackberry@sirius

Bravo,well done!

February 23, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  36. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ AleeD

forgive the lack of knowledge on my part but may you please enlighten me on what's BW3s?

February 23, 2011 at 3:00 pm |
    • AleeD@Sirius

I see no shame in ignorance, Dear Sir. Any holes in what I know about BW3s can be filled in by pretty much anyone from Ohio. ;)

BW3's is short for Buffalo Wild Wings (& Weck). The "Weck" word was dropped some time ago, but the nickname, BW3's remained. Among other tastey bar-style foods they offer, they are most famous for their wings. Wings are offered, tossed in and/or accompanied by a large number of your choice of sauces.

Plus they have a running, national trivia game available for free (that's for me!)

BW3's is where I learned that the heat of peppers is measured on the Scoville scale.

Hope that helps!

February 23, 2011 at 3:14 pm |
  37. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ Jingles

I think that covered it all.

February 23, 2011 at 2:58 pm |
  38. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ Jingles

hahah okay, sounds more than doable so here we go
    Pigs: They were inside the bulldozers
    Bulldozers:Were playing football
    Football: Broke windows and made bodybuilders (Compound word count's as one :-P)
    Minecarts: Raced old minecarts down trails
    clients: Eat sheet for faster service
    Hair: got tickets from hairy bodybuilders
    Ex: Cheating yet I embaressed her?
    Tacos: Costumed tacos singing "we love the tacos" (Parody of we love the subs from quiznos)

February 23, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  39. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ Guinn

Wow, now that surely sounds like more than a stinkin day, it sounds like day where the pidegons made it rain, I'm talking about hail mary Rain, Like the pain train. >_> Trivia night is always a fun thing. I know I enjoy it.

February 23, 2011 at 2:34 pm |
    • Guinn@sirius

Prexactly the sort of day it has been! I go to trivia every Wednesday with friends. There's a Sci-Fi game on Wednesday nights hubby and his buddy like to play. I almost won it last week though. They were stunned!

February 23, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
  40. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ Chicago Lady

Your not the only one, OMG I hate that with such a passion, I mean come on I thought it was common law that the left lane is for speedsters and right lane for turtles but ooh well guess now @_@

February 23, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  41. Guinn

So glad it is trivia night! I really need a beer and some mindless questions to wash off the stench of this day! (The pigs got loose, rolled in manure and then decided to charge me...!) I am almost afraid what tomorrow will bring!

February 23, 2011 at 2:30 pm |
    • AleeD

I love trivia games! That's one of the reasons I like going to BW3s.

Have you visited mentalfloss.com?

So sorry about the pig muck. That truly stinks.

February 23, 2011 at 2:42 pm |
      • Guinn@AleeD

Trivia is the reason we go to BW3 too! Not a lot for vegetarians to eat there... I love mental floss..have you been to Sporcle.com? I could spend days on that site!

February 23, 2011 at 2:46 pm |
      • Guinn@AleeD

..and thanks for the condolences! I am almost through the muck now, and may get to leave early...may...

February 23, 2011 at 2:47 pm |
      • AleeD@Guinn

I have not been there. Thanks for the tip!

February 23, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
  42. JBJingles@Sirius

Wow that is quite the description! LOL We want a 5 word explanation of each please....

February 23, 2011 at 2:27 pm |
  43. Chicago Lady

I get irritated when drivers find the posted speed limit a challenge. If you're on a 4 lane highway and cannot accelerate your auto to get to the posted 45, please pull into the right lane so Mario's like me can pass.

February 23, 2011 at 2:24 pm |
    • AleeD

Agreed!

February 23, 2011 at 2:38 pm |
    • JainaJade@Chicagolady

I think there are some people who have a spinner and "spin-a-speed." Whatever it lands on, that's how fast they go regardless of the road.

February 23, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  44. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ Tazer

Quite a bit actually but to sum it all up, It involves pigs, bulldozers, Mine carts, Footballs, Clients eating the sign in sheet, The show Hair, a very awkward situation with now ex, gyms and tacos.

February 23, 2011 at 2:15 pm |
  45. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ Tazer

Very well Miss, it is certainly a pleasure. ^_^

February 23, 2011 at 2:11 pm |
  46. Sirius (Not the station but constellation) @ JainaJade

haha Now that sounds incredibly delicious! It's been so long since I've had home made tacos. I'm usually going either to taco bell or searching for a quality mexican resturant. sure sounds like quite the plan and I must agree after reading and thinking about tacos I am now quite the hungry urge. ^_^

February 23, 2011 at 1:38 pm |
  47. wendy@JJ

HOW do you make corn salsa ala Chipotle??? i LOVE that stuff!!! recipe please!!!

February 23, 2011 at 1:34 pm |
    • JainaJade@wendy

I googled the recipe a few years ago and found it. 6 Ears Sweet Yellow Corn
      2 Poblano Chilies
      ½ Red Onion
      2 Red Jalapenos
      1/3 Cup Chopped Cilantro
      1 Tablespoon Lime Juice
      Salt and Pepper to Taste
      1. Roast the corn and Poblano chilies on a grill or BBQ and let cool.
      2. Cut the corn off the cob.
      3. Dice the Poblano chilies, onion, and red jalapenos.
      4. Combine all the ingredients and season to taste.
      I also like to add a can of rotel tomatoes with green chiles and have also been known to add some jalepeno for additional taste but as above is almost identical to what Chipotle offers

February 23, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
      • wendy@JJ

ooooooooo thank you!!! :)

February 23, 2011 at 4:38 pm |
  48. JBJingles@Truth

Congrats btw on the bride and do tell what a Bun Xaio is?? Is it like egg foo young??

February 23, 2011 at 1:33 pm |
    • Truth@JBJ

Basically an omlette with shrimp and sprouts. Not made with eggs, but with some sort of flour. REALLY good though...

February 23, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
  49. Tazer@Sirius

Ehm, miss, if you please ;)

I'm good. Keeping myself occupied somehow. Bored today but no big deal. What's new with you?

February 23, 2011 at 1:32 pm |