February 16th, 2011

It's something, but it's not the real thing, Coca-Cola says.

Rumors have been buzzing that the super-secret recipe for the iconic soft drink had finally been divulged through a 1979 newspaper clipping and a story on public radio's "This American Life."

"Rest assured that while many third parties have tried over time to crack the secret formula of Coca-Cola ... there truly is only one 'real thing,' " Ted Ryan, Coca-Cola's manager of archives and exhibits, wrote Wednesday on a company blog.

The company insists the formula is locked in a bank vault in Atlanta, Georgia, and only a handful of employees know it or have access to it.

Read the rest of "Is Coca-Cola's secret out of the bottle?" on CNN's This Just In blog.

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Think • Video

1. bozo

Chinese already cracked this, they sell a cola that tastes just like "the real thing".. the drink uses chinese herbs that are part of the chinese pharmacy... this is why coke has such a hard time selling in china, cause everyone thinks it tastes like medicine

February 17, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Me, too. And I live in Wisconsin.

February 17, 2011 at 1:36 pm |
  2. wendy

there just is no substitute for Diet Coke. no DC in the house? water please...

February 16, 2011 at 5:40 pm |
  3. Ron

Coke is great.....hope they keep the secret....hard to do in America.

February 16, 2011 at 4:16 pm |
    • AleeD

Not that I don't agree with you, but KFC has been keeping their 11 herbs & spices secret for quite a while now.

They just didn't have Facebook way back when to keep it's secrets the way we do today!

February 16, 2011 at 4:40 pm |
  4. AleeD

If you're looking for a sugar free something that tastes like the "Real Thing", try Zevia's cola. You might be surprised.

February 16, 2011 at 2:45 pm |
    • Jerv

Never heard of it, thank you.

February 16, 2011 at 2:49 pm |
    • AleeD@Jerv

you can find it on

[not a link, but it's simple enough to type]

February 16, 2011 at 4:10 pm |
  5. snooks

I but for the taste not the name! There are hundreds of store brand colas out there that just taste horrible. No one can duplicate the best!

February 16, 2011 at 2:08 pm |
  6. JBJingles@EG

Agree! If I found a off brand that was decent, I would probably buy it/drink it too.

February 16, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  7. JBJingles@EG

Well, I beg to differ. I like the taste of Diet Coke, but can't stand the taste of Pepsi, it's too sweet. Dr. Pepper is good too, but different category to compare. IMHO

February 16, 2011 at 1:35 pm |
    • AleeD

Here, here!

February 16, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
    • Evil Grin

Think about what happened with New Coke. People consistently chose it as the flavor they preferred in blind taste tests, but when New Coke replaced classic coke, it was game over for the company. People as a whole weren't actually buying coke based on taste per se. They were buying based on the name and packaging, and they wanted that familiar name and packaging. I think that even if someone got ahold of the current formula and made an ultra cheap off brand that tasted exactly the same, people would still buy Coke, because that's the name they trust.

February 16, 2011 at 1:40 pm |
  8. Evil Grin

That's not the current recipe, if it's an old ledger. I think they changed their recipe in the '70s. Any ledger written before that would be inaccurate by today's standards. I agree it doesn't matter. People buy Coca-Cola for the name, not the taste necessarily. People would still buy the real thing.

February 16, 2011 at 1:31 pm |
    • AleeD

Mark me in the "disagree very strongly" column. I wouldn't drink Diet Pepsi if Diet Coke was in the house (restaurant). It's NOT just about the name for me – it's about the taste.

February 16, 2011 at 1:39 pm |
      • dnfromge@all

I agree – it's all about the taste. Coke wins!

February 17, 2011 at 3:38 pm |
  9. Jdizzle McHammerpants

Yeah, saw that yesterday. Coke-a-cola sucks, anyway. Mr. Pibb and Dr. Pepper, bizzles!

Also, I will never drink anything with a "secret ingredient". Unless it's while visiting Meg Ryan's house. She can slip me a rufie anytime.

February 16, 2011 at 1:31 pm |