Lunchtime poll - coo-coo for coupons?
January 24th, 2011

Catching up on a little bit of TV this weekend, we ran across an episode of Mike & Molly the TiVo had decided we'd find amusing. It wasn't entirely wrong about that; we've loved Melissa McCarthy ever since her stint as chef Sookie St. James on the dearly departed Gilmore Girls. We did, however, run up against a joke we've heard repeated ad infinitum in sitcoms, films, dating columns and comedy acts.

The titular Mike comes into possession of a free chalupa coupon after his beloved Bulls win a game against the Celtics and score over 100 points in the process. Character after character cautions his not to take his date to the restaurant just because he's got a coupon, implying that it'd make him look like a tightwad.

Would you indeed look askance at a coupon clipper who was attempting to woo you?

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Lunchtime Poll

1. Matt

There is a big difference between a coupon for a free chalupa at Taco Bell and a coupon that AmEx gives you to a steakhouse for a free brocoli side.

January 25, 2011 at 8:51 am |
  2. dragonwife

If I were still in the dating pool, I'd have absolutely no problem with a date using a coupon at any time, including a first date, IF it was handled discreetly. Quietly mentioning it to the server when ordering is fine, but him gloating about how much he's saving, etc., would be tacky. I don't really see a big difference between using a coupon and, say, ordering the cheap special. With the economy the way it is, many nice restaurants are offering coupons as a way of encouraging new or repeat business, so why not take advantage of it? If he mentioned the coupon to me before we went, that would be best – maybe saying, I heard the place was great, and by the way, I have this coupon, so why not use it and then use the savings for a carriage ride around the park? The way it was handled would make all the difference. And by the way, I'm the coupon clipper in our marriage, and have used coupons at very nice restaurants on anniversaries and birthdays!

January 25, 2011 at 8:10 am |
  3. bigone

only if the location was their choice.

January 25, 2011 at 8:02 am |
  4. LEB

I kind of think it's bad manners for a guy to whip out the coupon AFTER the bill has arrived. Then it just makes you think that he only chose that restaurant because it would be a cheap date, and if it doesn't work out then he's not out too much money.

If you've got a coupon, for crissake mention it when you're asking the girl out! Something like, "How about dinner at Chez Ennui Friday night? I managed to snag a coupon for a free dessert, and their creme brulee will change your life."

January 25, 2011 at 4:35 am |
  5. Phil

As long as you tip the staff on the total amount, not the amount after the coupon.

January 25, 2011 at 2:35 am |
  6. www.travelbyfork.com

I think sites like restaurant.com and groupon are great...they give you a chance to try new places while getting a good deal.

January 24, 2011 at 9:57 pm |
  7. sami

If I knew where we were going, I'd look for the coupon and offer it too. Why not? Silly not to. Why throw away money.

January 24, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  8. unger

And you primadonna porkers wonder why American men increasingly prefer foreign women? May your ovaries shrivel, harpies!

January 24, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  9. Andy

I'd use the coupon to buy food to make at home.

– A

January 24, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  10. Anon_e_mouse

Well, I'm long beyond the dating anyone new stage (happily married since I was 21, now with children and grandchildren, but my wife and I still have "date night" once a month)... but I personally don't see anything wrong with using a coupon per se. Where we live there are a number of fine restaurants that offer coupons on their websites in the off season (mid-September to mid-May) and they make going there affordable, for both young people and those on fixed incomes. But, as others have indicated, make sure that you tip (in accordance with the quality of the service, of course) just as though you had paid full price... don't brag about using the coupon either, do it discreetly... and be financially prepared to go to another restaurant, coupon or no, if your date says "Eww... I don't like this place" when you pull into the parking lot. (I still remember that from my college days, before I met my wife... turns out the young lady I was then dating wasn't nearly as adventurous a diner as I was... glad that my wife is!)

January 24, 2011 at 5:38 pm |
  11. Joe in Colorado

I usually just skip taking her to dinner, and go straight to the protein shake. ;)

January 24, 2011 at 5:37 pm |
    • Phil

Which is why you're still single and without a life.

January 25, 2011 at 2:37 am |
  12. Dave

There is nothing more horrifying, and nothing that ruins an evening more, than getting on a date, and finding out the other person is "evaluating" you, and everything you do. If that's the way you treat other people, please just stay home! The idea on a date is for two people to both try to give to the other enough room to have a good time for an evening together, and to enjoy the evening. If you hit it off, great! But don't spoil the other person's evening by treating it like a test drive!

January 24, 2011 at 5:13 pm |
  13. Dave

I hope I never have to date anybody who pays attention to that kind of issue. I think I will use coupons on dates from now on to weed out the idiots.

January 24, 2011 at 5:08 pm |
  14. Erin

Coupons are not a big deal for me. I am not impressed by how much someone spends on me but by what kind of person they are. Usually restaurant coupons aren't for anything major anyway, just a free appetizer or dessert or something. They are just a way to get people to try their restaurant. If it means going somewhere new and trying something different, what's the big deal?

January 24, 2011 at 5:07 pm |
  15. R A Williams

You mean there's such a thing as a man who pays for dinner? Whether he uses a coupon to do it is irrelevant. Generally, when I'm on a date with a guy, we split the bill or else it's my treat. Especially if it's a first date. Men don't treat anymore. Even when they do treat, generally they don't follow through. A lot of the time the guy will pick the restaurant and the time and then realize he's "forgotten his wallet" or "just realized he didn't bring any cash" halfway through the meal, leaving me with the entire tab. I had that happen three times last year. I think it's because I have a good job and I'm not overweight. I'd be thrilled if a guy took me out to dinner with a coupon, but realistically it's got to be me doing the asking-out, and the paying, or else I get no dates.

January 24, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
    • Joe in Colorado

So, um, would you like to go out to dinner?

January 24, 2011 at 4:54 pm |
    • Phil

Then you're dating the wrong type of guy. There are plenty of gentlemen who still hold the door open for the lady.

January 25, 2011 at 2:39 am |
    • LEB

An independent woman with self-respect reaches for her wallet, but a gentleman stops her and says it's his treat. It's important for a lady to show that she can take care of herself, but it's equally as important for a gentleman to show that he knows what manners are.

And if the independent woman wants a second date, then she should ask HIM out... and pick up the check.

January 25, 2011 at 4:38 am |
  16. RichP, easton, pa

Had a first date whip out a 2 for 1 from a dining out book she bought and that was at a good restaurant too, I had free tickets I won for a play and it worked out great.

January 24, 2011 at 4:49 pm |
  17. CA23

No one ever pays my way, it would make me feel like a leech. Which ever way he would choose to pay for his own meal, it doesn't phase me one bit.

January 24, 2011 at 4:44 pm |
  18. Marcus

Is it tacky for a guy to pay for his portion of a date with a coupon. At the end of the day, the woman's portion is being paid in full. IMO, thats a win win.

January 24, 2011 at 4:43 pm |
  19. andy

Cheap people are the worst! My ex used to yell at me at the grocery store for not buying the "cheapest kind they had". Oh I'm sorry, here I'll pay the 10 cent difference on that jar of mustard.

Thus I'd be a little weary if somone whipped out a coupon on the first date. Though it would obviously depend on other factors, like what kind of place it was and all that.

January 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
  20. Joe in Colorado

I don't go on a first date trying to "impress" anyone. I'm the same guy whether it's the first date or the fiftieth; we either hit it off or we don't. A date is to get to know one another. I'll use a coupon if I have one (if I find one, I keep it)– but I wouldn't go out of my way to take a girl to a place just because of one.

That said– I'm good-looking, a great job and no debt, and am blessed; I've never had any girl complain about a coupon.

January 24, 2011 at 4:41 pm |
    • andy

Full of yourself much?

January 24, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
      • Joe in Colorado

Andy– facts are facts! ;)

January 24, 2011 at 4:50 pm |
  21. Jaime

It depends. Using a coupon is fine, but trying to get you to order something you didn't want in order for him to be able to use a coupon, that's a no.

January 24, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
  22. Lynne

Actually, I was saved from a second date with an absolute jerk because of a coupon. We were at the food court in the mall and they wouldn't accept his coupon. The employee politely explained that they were not a "participating location." My date got so angry and verbally abusive that the manager threatened to call security. Needless to say, I never went out with him again.

January 24, 2011 at 4:11 pm |
    • NoDoubt

Wow, the coupon saved the day! What a jerk...

January 24, 2011 at 4:39 pm |
  23. Kevin

This scenario actually came up last weekend on a first date I had. I was waiting at the bar since I was about 15 minutes early and the older lady next to me offered me a coupon. I accepted it but I did not use it on the date once she arrived. I thought it might come off as kind of cheap. I'd definitely use it on a future date though or with friends.

January 24, 2011 at 3:48 pm |
    • LEB

A guy who thinks ahead. Good job!

January 25, 2011 at 4:39 am |
  24. Bill

I fail to see the logic that it depends on what date you are on. Are the people who say that it is ok on the second or third date, but not the first, saying that they want their date to pretend to be someone that they are not until you get to know them? That does not make any sense. Be who you are, starting BEFORE the first date. If you are the kind of person who uses coupons, by all means use them when you have them. Now, don't let them dictate where you go, or how you treat/tip the waitstaff, but if you can save money while going to a nice restaurant with good food, so be it. More power, and money, to you.

It makes no sense to pay more than you have to for something. If you happen to be going to a matenee on your first date, would you expect your date to say "No, I don't want to pay the reduced price. I want to impress my date, so charge me the full evening ticket price please."

January 24, 2011 at 3:47 pm |
    • M

I absolutely agree that people should be themselves. That being said, I wouldn't have a second or third date with a guy that whipped out a coupon to pay any portion of our date. How do you go forward after that. If he can't afford to take me out then don't. If it is acceptable on the first or second date, he will always look to cheap out and money becomes a focus of that relationship. I don't want my life dictated by coupons or deals. Snobby but true.

January 24, 2011 at 3:58 pm |
      • Mrs. C

@M – You don't want your life dictated by coupons or deals? Wow. You're right to call your view snobby. Perhaps you should consider the type of person you'll end up with if you allow your life to be dictated by shallow, selfish, silly vanities. Pretentiousness is not a marker of a good mate.

January 24, 2011 at 4:25 pm |
      • Save a buck

Actually, I take offense to thinking that using a coupon means you are cheap. I look at it the other way. If you aren't using one, then you are either:
        Lazy – can't be troubled to look.
        Bad with Money – don't look for deals.
        Naive – paying more for the exact same thing.
        Conceded – Worried about what other people think because you used a coupon.
        Let's see.....my last girlfriend for our first date I had free tickets to a comedy club. I took her there. We ate at Ruby Tuesday before the show and I used a BoGo coupon. I let her order what she wanted and then I picked mine after. She did mention later on that night that she had never had anyone use a coup-on on the first date, let alone two! She didn't care though, because we had fun and she enjoyed my company. Personally I don't think that made me cheap and neither did she. A few months later we were on our first vacation together in Jamaica, for which I picked up the entire bill.

I do agree though. Always tip on the pre coupon price. Throw your server a bone if it is a good experience too. I was a cook and waited tables throughout college and it made my day when I got a nice tip. That is why I always tip 20%

January 24, 2011 at 5:27 pm |
      • LEB

I think that if you're using coupons and you're both broke (ie, you're both college students), then using coupons can actually seem thoughtful, since you planned ahead so you could do more things on a tight budget. But if you're working a regular 40 hour a week job, it just looks cheap.

January 25, 2011 at 4:42 am |
  25. Cuso

I would only use a coupon if we were an established couple. Not on the first, second, or third date.

January 24, 2011 at 3:39 pm |
  26. Lynn

The man I'm currently dating, have known him for ten years, dated off and on for years, just the other week had a coupon to a restaurant and suggested going. Then he stopped, looked at me and asked "We've been dating long enough that I can use a coupon at dinner, right?" I laughed and said "honey, of course." It's the thought that counts.

January 24, 2011 at 3:35 pm |
  27. annsrum

i guess it all depends on the situation but a coupon on the first date might make me a bit concerned about the financial situation of the individual and would probably make me pay closer attention in the future to see if they are in debt up to their eyeballs and such.

Also, if it turns out he spends lavishly on himself but will only take me to a place with coupons I would probably start to re-think the situation depending on how things go down the line. I do not want to be in an unequal relationship where he thinks his needs are more important.

Also it might be bothersome if he harped on the cost of everything every where we went. That would start to bother me a little. I can pay my own way but I don't want to be made to feel bad about the cost if he chose the location and chose to pay.

January 24, 2011 at 3:32 pm |
  28. Single Life 2 Married Wife

maybe not on the first date.. but I hate a big dinner bill... Coupons are always welcome!

January 24, 2011 at 3:17 pm |
  29. johnson

it would depend entirely on the restaurant... for example, i love restaurant week, and i think it makes sense to use such an opportunity or a gift card or a coupon to go to a nicer place that one might ordinarily be able to afford. good ambiance and good food help make a great date (the rest, of course, depends on the person you're with). i will say, though, that if my date took be to taco bell on our first date because he had coupons, that would be our last date. it's okay to be broke, but that means you have to be more creative when it comes to dating. a guy with a coupon to taco bell seems lazy and boring, a very unattractive combination if you ask me. if you're broke and she's the one, you have to ask her out, but you don't have to take her out for a meal. art museums are usually free, a walk in the park is free. if you're on food stamps, a picnic is a great option ;)

January 24, 2011 at 3:01 pm |
  30. Caroline

The only way it would fly on a first date is if you were both broke ass college students. Anything after college, it should at least be a few dates in, and let the person know that you have a coupon to a place, and would they mind if you used it. I see no problem with it, just as long as the person is up front and treats the staff well and tips well. BUT, if you ask someone if they mind that you have a coupon and they say yes...make that your last date with them.

January 24, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  31. Shannon Cole

There is nothing wrong with using coupons. BUT on a first date???? If it is a guy paying let him pay – if he has a coupon & pulls it out I could see it as kind of a cheap move. Its the FIRST date! Save your coupons for later!

January 24, 2011 at 2:53 pm |
  32. Lia

To me the "red flag" of using a coupon is less about using a coupon than it is about the fact that the person lacked the social skills to know that it's tacky.

OK, a lot of social rituals don't make a lot of sense. A guy paying on the first date (even if the girl makes more?) – kind of silly and antiquated. Giving gifts on holidays (that the recipient could have bought for themself if they really wanted them?) Silly! Not using coupons on first dates? Also kind of silly.

But they're all things that we do because we, as a society, have said, "yes, we do this". And if you don't go along with the social norms its either because 1) you didn't know about the norm, or 2) knew and didn't care.

I mean, maybe I sound callous, but I don't want to date someone who doesn't understand basic social normals. I also don't want to go out with someone who's so disinterested about impressing me that I'd rather save $10 than risk offending me by not using the coupon. After a few dates, yeah, that changes. You know the person. You can say, "hey, we're not trading Christmas presents this year as we both find the idea goofy". But on a first date, I have to say that it's a huge red flag...and that there would have to be a lot to make up for that goof.

January 24, 2011 at 2:51 pm |
    • khushi

totally agreed.

January 24, 2011 at 3:24 pm |
    • M

I agree. Tacky is a good word. I'd rather be treated as a lady than as a financial burden. Ask me out, then pay for dinner. Open my door. Let me order first., etc. We should be treated with respect which includes social grace and chivalry. Coupon or not, the date should be able to afford dinner.

January 24, 2011 at 3:49 pm |
    • justme

Excellent post – spot on!

January 24, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
    • LEB

In an era where more women earn college degrees than men and women in relationships earn as much or more than their partners at least 30% of the time, yes, the idea of the man paying on the first date seems antiquated.

However, there are times where it's appropriate for a gentleman to be a gentleman and a lady to be a lady, simply because it's good manners. Good manners are important, no matter how "liberated" you are. IMO, an gentleman always pays on the first date, but the lady should offer to cover the tip, or at the very least should say thank you. A lady recognizes that the first date is a gift, not meeting minimum expectations of how things "should" be done.

January 25, 2011 at 4:48 am |
  33. danm

I once when out with a friend and handed them a coupon to use. They balked at having to use a coupon but had no trouble in asking me to borrow some money because they didn't have enough to cover what they purchased.

If a date balked at me using a coupon, then I would suggest the date pay for their own.

January 24, 2011 at 2:44 pm |
  34. Cole

No big deal either way. It'd only bother me if the person using the coupon isn't organized and takes forever to find/use the thing.

Using it as a factor in character is ridiculous when there are so many better factors, such as the tip (I'd argue the #1 factor in whether or not a person is cheap) and the treatment of the server(s).

January 24, 2011 at 2:33 pm |
    • Leslie

Excellent point, Cole. Still not in favor of first date coupons, but tipping and *definitely* attitude towards the staff will tell you a lot about a person. Overdoing it can be as bad as being stingy.

January 25, 2011 at 12:49 am |
  35. RedinAustin

Using a coupon on a first date would make it a last date in my opinion. Especially, if the person has a good job and could afford the price of the meal. Using a coupon would just scream CHEAP and TACKY. I don't care if a place is expensive, nor would I mind splitting the bill. I have job. I can contribute. I don't require a man to take me out to an expensive restaurant. I would prefer a place we both have in common or have wanted to try. My husband took me to a local burger joint for our first date. I don't think we went to an expensive restaurant until the night he popped the question.

January 24, 2011 at 2:19 pm |
  36. Mark L.

As long as you dont make a big thing out of it, its ok to use a coupon.

That said, i still say its a no-no on the first few dates.

January 24, 2011 at 1:54 pm |
  37. ti702

Nothing wrong in my book with using a coupon on a date. If my date is the type of person who's offended by such a notion, we're not going to be going out for long.

The real test should be: does the person using the coupon know to tip based on the value of both meals?

January 24, 2011 at 1:51 pm |
  38. Anna

It might be a red flag if it were a first date, because it might mean they are stingy. By the 2nd or 3rd date (if they get that far) I obviously like them and it would be a good thing to see that they are smart with money and potential marriage material.

January 24, 2011 at 1:50 pm |
  39. Evil Grin

I think it depends on the situation and how well you know the person before you start dating. It might not be a good thing if you just met the person and wanted to impress them. On the other hand, if you've been friends for awhile and you both know your financial situation, it shouldn't be a problem.

It also depends on what sort of restaurant you go to and you etiquette when you're there. I think your date may overlook you using a coupon if you still treat it like a chance to impress your date, maybe using some of the money you save to spring for extras you couldn't have afforded otherwise, making sure the restaurant isn't just some dive, and treating the staff well.

January 24, 2011 at 1:32 pm |
    • Jerv@EvilG

"Though, if using a coupon in a non-obnoxious way is a relationship-killer, it probably wouldn't have been that good of a relationship to begin with. Better to find out early on.

Excellent point. You could use it as a kind of litmus test early on.

January 24, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
  40. sthflachk

I had a man take me out to dinner for our first date and use a coupon. I would have been fine going dutch. I didn't even mind the dinner was a well known "diner". But he used a coupon. On the first date. At a diner. Our meal without the coupon couldn't have been more than thirty bucks, including the tip, if that.

I am frugal myself. Living in Palm Beach, FL as a single mom going to school and only working part time I have to be. But this guy owned nice properties (before the crash), had a nice home and vehicle and he wouldn't pay for a thirty dollar dinner on the FIRST date. Visions of rinsing out ziploc bags and squeezing pilfered ketchup packets into a reused ketchup bottle danced in my head – we DID not go out again!

January 24, 2011 at 1:29 pm |
    • Truth@sthflachk

Not to sound harsh, but did you ever look at it from his point of view? Maybe he was trying to see if you were the type of woman who wants him to spend, spend, spend on her. Maybe he was trying to see if you were worth anything long term.

January 24, 2011 at 2:00 pm |
      • JBJingles@Truth

Laughing over the comments of sthflachk, that could be my husband she is referring to! Rinsing out baggies, reusing/washing paper plates and straws...BUT he is also a great saver at groceries so no complaints.

January 24, 2011 at 2:09 pm |
      • Turkleton

I have a friend whose family never puchased a single condiment or napkin...at first I simply thought they ate out a lot

Until I overheard "We're out of Napkins and ketchup can you stop at Mickey D's on your way home?"

January 24, 2011 at 2:37 pm |
    • Save a buck

I don't see what is wrong with using a coupon if you have it. The people that have a comfortable nest egg and will retire on time or early are the ones that actually are good with their money. Do you think this guy had a nice car and rental properties because he just threw money away? Hell no. I am a very frugal person myself. I use coupons all the time. I am not lying, when I tell you that I save at least $2,000 a year from using coupons, whether it be at the grocery store, restaurant, or online. You know what? Because of that I manage to take a nice vacation every year, have my car paid off, have my boat paid off, and I can go do things on a moments notice, because I didn't get nickel and dimed to death throughout the year. All these people complaining about coupons were probably the same people complaining that they had no savings and were over extended on credit cards and under water on their mortgage. Learn to not spend what you don't have and spend more by paying less. I just don't understand why anyone would complain about a coupon. It doesn't change the experience one bit, you just pay less for it.

January 24, 2011 at 5:12 pm |
      • Leslie

Save a buck, I have nothing against coupon use in general and use them whenever I can. However, I think a first date is a different situation then filling up a cart at the grocery store or going to the movies with a long-time friend.

January 25, 2011 at 12:47 am |
  41. Mildred

Between the economy and the rise of sites like Groupon, DoubleTakeDeals, OpenTable, and a number of others [where one can buy a certificate in advance for a deal on a meal] at restaurants of all calibers, it just makes sense to use coupons/certificates if you have them.

For example, I just purchased a certificate for $14 for $30 towards a meal dinner at the Melting Pot (in fact I purchased two). And I fully intend to use one of them on a date.

And for my 30th birthday I used a coupon that I got for taking a survey for the CIA (Culinary Institute of America, not the other CIA) to have a fabulous dinner with my (then) boyfriend at the Escoffier (he wouldn't let me pay, but I gave him the certificate to use). That didn't diminish the experience one bit.

Which also brings up the question- Would someone who has a problem with the date using a coupon have the same issue if they used a gift certificate or gift card?

January 24, 2011 at 1:27 pm |
  42. Amanda

I should start using coupons, this lady in front of me at the grocery store took her bill down by $40 the other day. Pretty impressive. As for restaurants, I don't think it's a big deal. As long as the food is good, I'm happy. If the food is bad, as long as we agree it's bad and promise never to go there again, I'm happy. If we have a difference of opinion on what good and bad food is, then we have problems.

January 24, 2011 at 1:22 pm |
    • Amanda

One more thing...I'd prefer to date someone that used a coupon than someone who goes on and on about the price of the dinner. You know the guy – the one that says the total loudly and whistles or tells everyone and their mother that they just spent $100 on dinner for you.... that guy annoys me. If it's that big of a deal, let me pay my part.

January 24, 2011 at 1:49 pm |
      • Queen of Everything@Amanda

That guy who goes on and on about how much he paid for dinner, his name is Todd....and his best friend is Patrick.

January 24, 2011 at 2:48 pm |
      • Jerv@Kweeny

And he has a pet troll named vapor.

January 24, 2011 at 2:57 pm |
  43. Bailes24

The way I see it, if someone wants to pay for my meal, who am I to dictate how he does it?

January 24, 2011 at 1:17 pm |
    • dave

Right on!

January 24, 2011 at 9:04 pm |
  44. Truth

Depends on the situation. I was pretty dang near flat broke for a lot of college, so doing this worked. Now, I am married, so pretty much the same deal applies...:)

January 24, 2011 at 1:16 pm |
  45. Stevi Deter

If they didn't mention they'd be doing it ahead of time, I admit I'd take it as a strike against.

But I'd also say yes to somebody who asked me out saying, "Hey, I have this coupon to Great New Restaurant, let's go try it out."

January 24, 2011 at 1:11 pm |
    • Leslie

That works for me. I had a boss take me out to lunch one day, which seemed like a nice gesture, until he pulled out the coupon book. I thought that was very tacky; it would be even worse on a first date, unless it was asked as stated. Then it would likely depend on the general impression I already had of the guy. Somewhere down the road, when you are more familiar with each other's financial situations, definitely a possibility.

January 25, 2011 at 12:44 am |
  46. Jdizzle McHammerpants

What if they hand you a coupon from one of those naughty books on the first date? You know, the "good for one........" coupons. Like a back rub and stuff.

January 24, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
    • Turkleton

I'd have to say it depends greatly on what "and stuff" entails

January 24, 2011 at 1:15 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Fryin' up bacon "HotShots" style.

January 24, 2011 at 1:20 pm |
  47. Amayda

1st date, no. 2nd date, no. 3rd date, maybe you'd want him to be using a coupon so he can save up for a ring. :) If you are going to restaurants that even accept coupons, you shouldn't be offended if he chooses to use one.

January 24, 2011 at 1:10 pm |
  48. Kallen

I love coupons and if a man wants to use a coupon when he takes me out, that is just fine with me. It shows that he is smart with his money.

January 24, 2011 at 1:08 pm |
    • claybigsby

or it shows how broke he is....

January 25, 2011 at 11:39 am |
  49. SB Austex

I would be annoyed if they took me to a place with bad food, just because there was a coupon. Inexpensive good food places exist & I am happy to pay my way. If it was a place with waitstaff, I would also care about how he handled it - the interaction with the waitperson and whether he treated them fairly at tip time. (Tipping on the original amount of meal not reduced.)

January 24, 2011 at 1:06 pm |
  50. Turkleton

There's nothing wrong with a coupon. It bothers me more when people try to use multiple coupons and when the restaurant won't honor them they make a big stink and call in the manager...

January 24, 2011 at 1:03 pm |