Lunchtime poll – "Points" taken...and taken...and taken...
November 29th, 2010

For some, it's Cyber Monday. For others, it's, "Sigh...did I really need that 14th helping of deep-fried turkey?" Monday.

Weight Watchers today introduced an overhaul of its "Points" based weight loss program, claiming that more is known about the science of weight loss than had been 13 years ago when the system was put into place. Paging Dr. Gupta has more in-depth information on the science of it all, but it ought not escape mention that the announcement was made on the Monday after one of the largest eating holidays of the year.

As we've said time and time again, we're a food blog, not a diet blog. We're all about the respectful, joyful celebration of food, rather than self recrimination but hey - eating is sometimes fraught and complicated. Talk it out below.

Posted by:
Filed under: Buzz • Lunchtime Poll

« Previous entry
  1. Humor

I think this is one of the most important information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But should remark on some general things, The web site style is ideal, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

June 24, 2013 at 3:17 pm |
  2. Romas

Shop offers the leading brands of weight loss products at reasonable prices.

December 1, 2010 at 2:34 pm |
  3. Mandura TRIM

Weight loss can be so simple, when people don't make it hard...:
    Eat less, of higher quality foods.
    Get up and MOVE more.
    Take supplements to get "over the hump" when needed.
    Unfortunately, most supplements do one of 2 things:
    1. trick your body into thinking you're full when you're not. This is starvation.
    2. rev up your metabolism, and we've all read about how dangerous this can be.
    A new set of supplements uses Leptin – the hormone your cells release to tell your brain "we're full".
    Our modern lives – stress,poor eating, etc. – mess with our body chemistry, and sometimes those messages don't get through.
    Leptin supplements, like Mandura TRIM, help cut through the 'clutter' and make sure your brain knows when to stop eating. Naturally.
    Safe, effective, and Clinically Proven.
    Find out more at: http://BuyManduraTRIM.com

November 30, 2010 at 10:06 pm |
  4. BRBSanDiego

Managed to overindulge by having carnal knowledge of my wife three times. This sets a new holiday record.

November 29, 2010 at 6:23 pm |
    • RichardHead

Hopefully you covered the turkeys eyes.

November 29, 2010 at 6:32 pm |
  5. Truth@"Gunsmoke" residents...

I think he meant "calaboose", an old west term for jail, penitentiary or other place of incarceration.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled blogging...

November 29, 2010 at 4:23 pm |
  6. Marshall Dillon

There will be no more shenanigans in my town or I'll lock ya up in the caboose.

November 29, 2010 at 4:13 pm |
    • Chester

Marshall Dillon don't take no guff off nobody!

November 29, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
    • Hoosegow Resident

You are going to lock me up in the last car on the train? Or maybe you meant in the galley. Either way ..... oh ...... woe ......... is ........... I :)

November 29, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
  7. Rins

I used to overindulge when I was a hungry teenager...two plates of food and at least 1 slice of pie. However, even though I'm still fairly young (25), my appetite has halved and even if I eat a reasonably small portion of turkey/potatos/stuffing and a roll I can barely finish off a slice of pie let alone go back for seconds.

Not sure why my appetite went the way it did...but I guess it's not necessarily a bad thing.

November 29, 2010 at 4:10 pm |
  8. djfh

personally i m just wondering why all the adults in this chat room are not working...
    this is why America is run by the young and no the old

November 29, 2010 at 3:54 pm |
    • AuroraDawn

Hey, I'm at work right now thank you.

November 29, 2010 at 3:56 pm |
    • Traditionalist

a) You aren't working either.
      b) We're working so efficiently that we have time to shoot one-liners at busy-body control freak, old farts.
      c) Some of us have finished our projects.
      d) What makes you think we're ALL adults?
      e) "America is run by the young ... " have you paid any attention to the politix in this country. The old far out-number the young.

November 29, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
    • Truth@djfth

Most of us are in professional jobs...That is to say that we are salaried employees who are paid to do a job, irrespective of how long/short that may take. We do not have supervisors looking over our shoulders, so taking a break while slow, or while on the phone (my fav time) is not out of the ordinary.

This is how life in the workplace is for those of us who do not work as WalMart greeters. Perhaps something for you to ponder (that means think about) and maybe aspire to (I'll let you look that one up...;)

November 29, 2010 at 4:06 pm |
      • Traditionalist

Here, here! And thanks for the sprinkling of 50 cent words. That should keep djfh busy on Urban Dictionary.com for the rest of the afternoon. :)

November 29, 2010 at 4:11 pm |
  9. Merlie

I overindulged mainly in annoyance.
    There's a long story to this, which I'll skip, but as far as Thanskgividinner was concerned:
    My Aunt, who hates to gook, INSISTS upon cooking Thaksgiving. She also is, by her own admission, not a good cook. SO...
    We had stuffing from a box, not even any was put in the turkey. We had mash potatoes from a box. Yams from a can (with marshmallows on top – pass the insulin please)
    And green bean casserole, (lets see how much glop we can pile onto a perfectly nice vegetable to hide its flavor and add calories).
    We had gravy from a can. (at least this year we managed to make off with the drippings before she could dump them, so we could make some beautiful gravy later on)
    And the turkey was badly undercooked. I ate a tiny piece and suffered the rest of the day.
    I really wish she'd give it up. Brats and burgers on a grill are really her speed. We've heard her husband makes nice chili, but she never invites us over for that despite hints. It's Thanksgiving, I know I should be grateful..
    But I'm really not.
    And that's my confession for the day.

November 29, 2010 at 3:40 pm |
    • AuroraDawn

Poor you, hope Christmas is better. Maybe throw dinner at your house.

November 29, 2010 at 3:44 pm |
    • Suz

That sucks. Is your aunt the type who will be offended if you say, "Hey, Auntie, I know you hate to cook, let me take the load off of you this year and let me/others cook." If so – then there may be more to this day for your Aunt than meets the eye. It sounds like she has an attachment to the holiday (or she just really likes to be a martyr!).

November 29, 2010 at 3:46 pm |
    • Traditionalist

What's the harm in (next foodie gathering that includes Auntie BadCook) bringing some not-in-a-can-or-box side dishes and claim they are to "help her out." Feign ignorance – that goes a looooong way.

November 29, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
  10. Truth@Haters

To all those who complain about our content...this is a blog. Not a manifesto. This is often the equivalent of writing on a restroom wall. And often as entertaining. Kat and Sara do a great job of monitoring content and anything patently offensive gets removed promptly.

If you truly want something tightly moderated, I am sure DailyKos has a blog area.

Otherwise, the STFU cafe has immediate seating. Enjoy!

November 29, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
    • AuroraDawn

LOL Well said!

November 29, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
    • Sir Biddle

BOOM BOOM goes the riot grip Ithaca...

November 29, 2010 at 3:47 pm |
    • Suz

This wins for the category of Most Awesome Response I've Read All Day. :)

November 29, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
    • Rodney King

Can't we all just get along?

November 29, 2010 at 3:57 pm |
      • Truth@RKing

Apparently not...Sadly ;(

November 29, 2010 at 4:03 pm |
      • Bruce Willis

We're getting along just fine! There's been no blood yet .............. !

November 29, 2010 at 4:32 pm |
  11. Disgruntled EX-CNN Employee

I come here to find out what type of musterd to put on my CUBANO samich and it has turned into a LUV-IN!

November 29, 2010 at 3:14 pm |
    • LlamaLlamaDuck

I would try "mustard" instead of "musterd" for starters...not that "musterd" would be as bad as "musturd"...

November 29, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
      • Disgruntled EX-CNN Employee

My Inglish not that good since I got fyered!

November 29, 2010 at 3:25 pm |
      • LlamaLlamaDuck

Yer "Inglish" fine...it yer grammar and yer spellin' what need some fixin'...

Fortunately for you, the federal government has determined that proper grammar, syntax and elocution are completely unnecessary in society. Three cheers for public education!

November 29, 2010 at 3:31 pm |
  12. capsiplexx

Over-the-counter weight-loss pills: Do they work?
    The temptation to use over-the-counter weight-loss pills to lose weight fast is strong. But are these products safe and effective?
    By Mayo Clinic staff

The appeal of losing weight quickly is hard to resist. But do weight-loss pills and products lighten anything but your wallet? And are they a safe option for weight loss? Here's a look at some over-the-counter weight-loss pills and what they will and won't do for you.

Over-the-counter (OTC) weight-loss pills: What you need to know
    A number of weight-loss pills are available at your local drugstore, supermarket or health food store. Even more options are available online. Most haven't been proved effective, and some may be downright dangerous.

How can companies sell potentially unsafe products? Dietary supplements and weight-loss aids aren't subject to the same rigorous standards as are prescription drugs. Thus, they can be sold with limited proof of effectiveness or safety. Once a product is on the market, however, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) monitors its safety and can take action to ban or recall dangerous products.

For this reason, it's important to do your homework if you're thinking about trying weight-loss pills. Read labels and talk with your doctor or pharmacist. Also check the FDA Web site for alerts about safety concerns and product recalls. The table shows common weight-loss pills and what the research shows about their effectiveness and safety.

November 29, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
    • Suz

And this has what to do with this article?

I do not enjoy SPAM for Thanksgiving!

November 29, 2010 at 3:51 pm |
  13. Traditionalist

Anybody ever heard of Onion Pie? This year was a first for me. I watched one of the people at our Thanksgiving gathering saute' the onions and mix together the butter & egg – then pour it all into a pie shell. From what part of our world does this dish hail?

November 29, 2010 at 2:46 pm |
    • AuroraDawn

Sounds similar to quiche, is it the same consistency?

November 29, 2010 at 2:48 pm |
      • Traditionalist

:( I couldn't bring myself to taste it. I would imagine it's different from qhiche 'cuz there's no cheese in it.

November 29, 2010 at 2:51 pm |
    • Suz

Sounds almost like a kugel... so I'm guessing maybe Eastern European? Sounds delicious, no matter where it's from!

November 29, 2010 at 4:00 pm |
  14. AuroraDawn

Ah...martini's I could go for one myself!!!

November 29, 2010 at 2:34 pm |
  15. LlamaLlamaDuck

Confused...thought the article was a survey on Thanksgiving overindulgence...but comments reading like a dating chat room for food fettishists...

Hang down your head, Tom Turkey. No respect. Poor bird don't get no respect.

November 29, 2010 at 2:33 pm |
    • Sir Biddle@LLDuck

We actually work in the same office selling flood insurance in Arizona, all sit in the same cube farm right next to each other, we car-pool daily, and have lunch together too.

November 29, 2010 at 2:37 pm |
      • RichardHead

Group Hug!

November 29, 2010 at 2:40 pm |
      • LlamaLlamaDuck

Whoa, there's a Conan opener in there somewhere.

"So, I was online the other day and came across this group of wild and crazy kids chatting away in the comments section of a food article. Most of us...first day back from a long holiday break...heading into the busy Christmas season...you figure it'd be a busy Monday, right? But these guys were yucking it up, having a blast...and an impish curiosity got the best of me...thought I'd go ahead and toss my hat in the ring. In the time it took me to post my single comment they'd already volleyed...I dunno...a couple dozen comments back and forth...and I thought to myself 'wow, I guess not everyone's feeling the crush coming back to the office.' (dramatic pause) I come to find out they all work in the same office...selling flood insurance...in the middle of the desert. Definitely explains why they had so much free time on their hands."

November 29, 2010 at 2:59 pm |
      • Sir Biddle

Not to split hairs, but our office is in Arizona, we sell the insurance to potential policy holders in Alaska. You'd be amazed at what the spring thaw brings some years.

November 29, 2010 at 3:06 pm |
      • LlamaLlamaDuck

Splitting hairs would be about as productive as protecting arid climes from water damage. Congrats on a warmer home base than your clientelle. Means you don't have to shell out nearly as much for "Psychotic Moose Attack" insurance...that can get pricey.

November 29, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
      • LlamaLlamaDuck

Which reminds me...note to self: call stylist for trim.

November 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm |
    • JJ

I agree. :( Why don't they just email each other. The editors really need to say something.

November 29, 2010 at 2:52 pm |
      • Sir Biddle

Kat and Sarah are the same ones who give us candy and puppies when we misbehave.

November 29, 2010 at 2:58 pm |
      • Truth@JJ

Lighten up...Half the time the editors are in on the conversation, however off track it may stray.

November 29, 2010 at 3:00 pm |
    • Traditionalist

You're new here, aren't you? ;) Sadly, this is SOP for Eatocracy's comment section. Just state your mind and ignore the ignorance. :)

November 29, 2010 at 3:01 pm |
      • LlamaLlamaDuck

Hmmm...Nebraska?

November 29, 2010 at 3:08 pm |
      • LlamaLlamaDuck

Idaho?

November 29, 2010 at 3:09 pm |
      • LlamaLlamaDuck

Vermont?

November 29, 2010 at 3:10 pm |
      • LlamaLlamaDuck

Oregon?

November 29, 2010 at 3:11 pm |
  16. AuroraDawn

LOL Yeah, those Furin women are bad news all around!!! Soylent Green is people...btw! lol I love that movie.

November 29, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
    • RichardHead@AD

Whew,Almost had WD mixing martinis on that one.

November 29, 2010 at 2:32 pm |
      • Sir Biddle

Dirty vodka one with blue cheese stuffed olives for me please!

November 29, 2010 at 2:34 pm |
  17. AuroraDawn

LOL Yes, the D.O.P. is a great thing to have!

November 29, 2010 at 2:07 pm |
    • RichardHead@AD

Golly GeeWhizzer,back me in the corner near Bob why don't ya!

November 29, 2010 at 2:14 pm |
      • AuroraDawn

LOL I would never do that!!!!!

November 29, 2010 at 2:16 pm |
      • RichardHead@AD

The answer is them furin women,ya know from other planets that have never had Soylent Green!

November 29, 2010 at 2:21 pm |
  18. AuroraDawn

@RichardHead what constitutes a special brunette????

November 29, 2010 at 1:59 pm |
    • RichardHead

Hmmm-Interesting question. I may have to defer to my Doctorate of Poopology on this one.

November 29, 2010 at 2:04 pm |
    • Sir Biddle

Hey Aurora, know what you call a smart blond? A Golden Retriever.

November 29, 2010 at 2:07 pm |
      • AuroraDawn

LOL That is too funny!

November 29, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  19. AuroraDawn

LOL@RH

November 29, 2010 at 1:57 pm |
  20. Amanda

I wouldn't say I overate, but the richness of the food was definitely more than what I normally do.

November 29, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
  21. SmokeInDaEye

I had a roasted turkey, a deep fried turkey, a smoked turkey and an appetizer "pig" made out of sausage, bacon, ham, Vienna sausage and pork rinds.

November 29, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
    • AuroraDawn

LOL Was there a defibrillator on hand too??

November 29, 2010 at 1:46 pm |
      • RichardHead

That poor girl. She never knew what HIT her!

November 29, 2010 at 1:55 pm |
    • Mark L

mmmmmmmmmmmm....a pork-a-palooza!!!!!

November 29, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
    • Sir Biddle

This would be a tasty treat at the annual PETA Holday Party. Do you deliver?

November 29, 2010 at 1:58 pm |
      • SmokeInDaEye

I'd deliver just to see the reaction from PETA.

November 29, 2010 at 2:18 pm |
  22. RichardHead

I believe Jdizzle would be all over this girl!

November 29, 2010 at 1:39 pm |
    • Truth@RichHead

I do think you are right...Hopefully our bro is learnin his steps and keeping it real.

November 29, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
      • RichardHead@Truth

Jfizz has got alot to lose and he's a smarter man then we know. He'll go from steps to walking fast in no time.

November 29, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  23. Mark L

If you cant overeat on Turkey day then you are a lost cause. Its the one day a year when you shouldnt feel guilty

November 29, 2010 at 1:35 pm |
  24. Brainy Yak

My inlaws fortunately don't make a lot of chocolate desserts. For them, dessert is all about fruit or veg based stuff. I hate pumpkin pie, cherry pie, apple pie, and cakes with fruit in them. So, I ate pretty normally at the meal and was not at all tempted by dessert. And I skipped my own families function this year (due to dysfunction, just did not want to deal) so there was no stress to make me eat a ton, and no chocolate pie by Dad!

November 29, 2010 at 1:11 pm |
  25. AuroraDawn

@EG No doubt that would help! SirB, I think I require a little more help than a cupcake! LOL I'll stick with the make up and hair do's, being a mousy brunette an all!!! lol

November 29, 2010 at 1:09 pm |
    • Sir Biddle

Did I mention I love brunettes? :)

November 29, 2010 at 1:18 pm |
      • AuroraDawn

LOL Bless your heart. I like to think Brunettes have some redeeming qualities!!

November 29, 2010 at 1:20 pm |
      • Mark L

I prefer red-heads

November 29, 2010 at 1:35 pm |
    • RichardHead

What's the 20 on the brunettes?

November 29, 2010 at 1:35 pm |
      • AuroraDawn

LOL Brunettes are kinda cute too don't ya think??? Blondes don't have ALL the fun.

November 29, 2010 at 1:44 pm |
      • RichardHead

Only special brunettes!

November 29, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
  26. Sandy

Thanks to my talented nephew, I had chocolate mousse w/real whipped cream AND creme brulee for dessert on Thanksgiving Day!

November 29, 2010 at 12:56 pm |
    • Snowbunny

I love anything chocolate. This sounds soooo good!

November 29, 2010 at 1:51 pm |
  27. Truth

I know we are still early for 5@5, but I would like to hit that...

November 29, 2010 at 12:52 pm |
    • Sir Biddle@truth

The line starts behind me...

November 29, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
      • AuroraDawn

LOL So who needs to spend hours on makeup and hair...shove a cupcake in your face and just sit back and wait for the men...LOL Your species confuses me endlessly!!!! LOL

November 29, 2010 at 12:56 pm |
      • Dr.Spock@AD

Logical!

November 29, 2010 at 12:59 pm |
      • Sir Biddle@AD

Nothing wrong with getting dolled up with makeup and hair, but natural beauty and a cupcake can go a loooooong way. :)

November 29, 2010 at 1:00 pm |
      • Evil Grin

Probably also helps if you naturally look like the model.

November 29, 2010 at 1:03 pm |
  28. Evil Grin

Overeating is a relative term, really. You don't necessarily have to eat 3000 calories or anything, to feel like you blew your diet, or normal eating pattern. And one time is not going to kill you. But whenever I feel like I've really overdone something, I do find myself eating less than normal the next couple of days and sometimes putting in a little more exercise time.

I'm not sure I do that on purpose, though. If I eat too much, I feel full for a really long time, so I just don't want to eat much for awhile. And if I'm feeling a little extra sluggish, a little extra exercise helps that. I don't think I actually consciously tell myself that I have to lose that weight I just put on by scaling back, though. I just do whatever feels right at the time.

November 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
  29. Sir Biddle

Why do I find myself staring longingly at the picture for this article?

November 29, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
    • AuroraDawn

LOL Probably because you'd "hit it" frosting and all!!!

November 29, 2010 at 12:53 pm |
      • Sir Biddle@AD

"Probably" you say...more like "Does a one legged duck swim in circles?!!!!"

November 29, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
  30. AuroraDawn

I try to eat right most of the time. I really had to restrain myself this year though....New Years dress I need to fit into. However, I did have some boozy drinks,and a sliver of pie...so I didn't do too badly.

November 29, 2010 at 12:38 pm |