Fame Bites - Soulja Boy
November 29th, 2010

Fame Bites goes inside the belly of the entertainment beast. We're dishing out where the celebrities are eating, what they're eating and who they're eating with.

Just when you were giving thanks that Thanksgiving was over, we're bringing out the leftovers - Soulja's orders. You haven’t turned your calendar to December yet, so the bird is technically still the word.

Along with creating a dance that will be immortalized at weddings, bar and bat mitzvahs and generally revelrous gatherings, Soulja Boy's contagious single “Crank That (Soulja Boy)” spent seven weeks atop Billboard’s Hot 100 singles’ chart and helped his debut album Souljaboytellem.com achieve platinum status by selling over one million copies.

His second album, iSouljaBoyTellem, produced such singles like "Kiss Me Thru the Phone" and "Turn My Swag On" - and his new album, The DeAndre Way, drops November 30.

We caught up with the 20-year-old rapper during last week’s gorgefest to talk turkey, sweet potato pie and Thanksgiving swag. (Editor’s Note: The term "swag" refers to the way you carry yourself - your demeanor, if you will.)

How do you get your swag on for Thanksgiving?
"You get your swag on by chilling with the people that you love, just having a good time and being around family for me. I'll pull up to my grandmother’s house in my drop top Lamborghini."

Do you have a Lamborghini we can borrow?
"Absolutely! Just make sure that you give me credit on CNN!"

We want to write a song with you called “Turkey Day Swag.”
"We can totally do that and should!" (Note to self: Next time in Atlanta, call Soulja…)

What is your must have item for Thanksgiving?
"I have to have sweet potato pie. Every year my grandmother cooks for my family, and I love her sweet potato pie. I also love her egg pie - no one else in my family eats it, but I love it. I don’t even know how to cook it, but it’s a must have."

I’ve read that you have over 100 tattoos – if you had to tattoo a food to yourself, what food would you pick?
"Probably bread and water. The most basic food."

Your Twitter fans told me you love chicken.
"Oh yeah! Chicken and waffles for my fans. Definitely."

Who is your dream dinner date and where would you go?
"Beyoncé. I would take her to the most amazing restaurant in the world. I have to find it, but maybe a restaurant on the water."

We want to make a drink and call it the Soulja Boy Signature - what is in your signature drink?
"It has to have Kool-Aid, peach, apples and Red Bull. My drink would have to be really sweet - and have some swag in it."

What is your signature meal to cook?
"Hot Pockets in the microwave, if that counts. If I’m on the road, I’ll mostly do room service. I don’t ever get to cook unless I’m home, and I’m barely at home. And when I’m home, my mom will cook for me."

Twitter question! One dish a future girl of yours has to know how to cook?
"Fish and spaghetti - if you can cook me fish and spaghetti, we can have a relationship. I like fried fish, baked fish - and add French fries to it too."

You can’t go a day without…
"Drinking water – I drink a lot of water just because when I was younger my Dad would tell me to put down whatever I was drinking and go drink some water."

You travel a lot, what are some of your favorite restaurants?
"In Los Angeles, I love Wingstop. In New York, I go to Mr. Chow’s. If I’m on the road, I love going to any buffet - especially the ones that are all you can eat all night."

You are so skinny - how do you live at buffets?
"It doesn’t make any sense to me at all! My mom always tells me that when I get older I’m going to have to work out. I’m enjoying my skinny while it lasts."

What advice do you have for anyone who is stressed out over Thanksgiving?
"I would say don’t be stressed, and plan ahead. Make basic, classic dishes like turkey and stuffing and yams. Just make sure you don’t end up going to McDonald’s because you are so stressed."

Devna Shukla is an Associate Producer for CNN's AC360°.

Posted by:
Filed under: Bite • Columns • Fame Bites • Holidays • Thanksgiving

1. sean

Hot Pockets give you 3rd degree burns out the microwave but they are hot deliciousness mmm

December 1, 2010 at 12:45 am |
  2. sean

If you dont like Soulja Boy then best thing you can do is leave him alone and go find a way to get rich or top the Billboard charts for 6 consecutive weeks like he did,stop hatin,get money,YOOOOOOOOUUU!! ;)

December 1, 2010 at 12:43 am |
  3. sean

LOL Jess said it best,the point of this article is not to enlighten folks but rather create more publicity for Soulja Boy,you guys are overthinking it,Soulja Boy is a 20 year old kid that makes catchy beats to make little kids (as well as some grown ups )dance ,he isnt a world leader or political figure so dont be so crucial, hes not a chef so dont look to him for food advice,but his company may have worked some quid pro quo deal with CNN so you can certainly respect his publicist and CNN marketing for getting all of us to read this..genius

December 1, 2010 at 12:38 am |
  4. Jess

The sad part is... everyone still read this article! HAHA – Soulja Boy for the WIN.

November 30, 2010 at 4:36 pm |
  5. UCFKnightman

Not to mention, this guys murders the English language.

November 30, 2010 at 4:17 pm |
  6. UCFKnightman

How is this considered talented? The kid can't sing, there are no actual instruments used. He's a puppet for a music industry that puts out mindless music that simply ignores any concept of originality, much less an actual music theory. This stuff is laughed at overseas. I bet if you put sheet music in front of this dude he'd go cross-eyed. You can't call yourself a linguist without learning to WRITE a language, same goes for music. How can you consider yourself a musician if you have no clue how to read/write actual music notes on a treble and bass clef????

November 30, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
  7. YUU

If you grew up listening to Tribe, Souls of Mischief, OutKast and Biggie, it's impossible to take this crap seriously.

November 30, 2010 at 3:49 pm |
  8. Nobody cares

Soulja Boy not only talks turkey he is the turkey.

November 30, 2010 at 3:30 pm |
  9. Joe, San Diego

Some people eat dookie... hot pockets are a rare treat for a poor person... some of our world leaders can 't make a simple meal or construct a sentence with overlapping and twisting words around- Soulja Boy seems to have spoke candidly about what he eats nothing more- he isn't a chef, he isn't on the food network, so all you that were expecting more from a rapper hahaahaaaa the jokes on you!

November 30, 2010 at 3:23 pm |
    • AuroraDawn

I think your convoluded logic is the joke. He is not poor! According to another poster on here 2.4 million people follow him on twitter...LMAO WHY???? What could this guy have to say that is pertinent to anyone?

November 30, 2010 at 3:33 pm |
  10. repodog

Wow, that was inane. Why did I waste 3 minutes of my life reading this.

I drove to my borhters in my van.
    My must have item is mashed potatoes and gravy.
    I have no tatoos.
    I love fried chicken, all types.
    My dream date is with anyone more itneresting that the author or rapper here. We could eat at Soujals grandmas house for all I care.
    blah, blah, blah

November 30, 2010 at 3:07 pm |
  11. E. Bolton

It's just entertainment folks. We are not talking S/N Korea or Middle East drama. Lighten up...
    Peace

November 30, 2010 at 2:56 pm |
  12. Blaq

This takes the award for most purposeless interview in the history of the universe... Truly Amazing. Hats off CNN

November 30, 2010 at 2:53 pm |
  13. Cathy

Haha, what is this?! He drinks Kool-aid and eats Hot Pockets. CNN, please stop interviewing random celebrities who can't contribute anything of substance.

November 30, 2010 at 2:34 pm |
  14. iShane

werdz on da ill-i-der-itz...swag.

November 30, 2010 at 2:09 pm |
  15. kellie

seriously, why not Soulja Boy??? how fun to hear about other peoples' tradition! thank you Soulja Boy!

November 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm |
  16. shaketta nrwd

Hey MR.SWAGGER I WAS JUST CUMING BY TO SHO U SOME LOVE BUT HIT ME UP AT shakettan.mike@yahoo.com on facebook! r 662 267 7314

November 29, 2010 at 8:44 pm |
  17. johntaalexander aka city

I got 2 give it up, to lil bro ,he been doing good thing and making good songs, he works hard and me and my lil girl is happy 4 u lil bro keep work n hard.

November 29, 2010 at 8:41 pm |
  18. Kelsey

soulja boy your new album The DeAndre Way is amazing I love the song "Grammy!" please do a concert in new york soon.

November 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
  19. Kelsey

I love Soulja! And seriously – he has 2.4 million twitter followers and has sold millions of records. Just because you don't know him – well, that's probably a good thing.

November 29, 2010 at 7:33 pm |
    • AuroraDawn

I never said I didn't know him. My inference was that he sux, and that whilst I'm sure you wait with bated breath for his next tweet...I and the rest of grown ups with grey matter don't. It's a shame that this is what you defend instead of someone who actually contributes in someway to society. But..to each his own.

November 29, 2010 at 7:37 pm |
      • Kelsey

I love soulja boy, please don't be a "hater" LOL.

November 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm |
  20. AuroraDawn

Soulja Boy...seriously? With all due respect this Fame Bites thing is sort of....an oxymoron. Last week it was Mr. Tori Spelling this week Soulja Boy....Honestly not meaing to be rude just not getting the food/fame connection. I mean...fish,spaghetti and how could I forget...he said Kool-Aid.

November 29, 2010 at 7:08 pm |
    • RichardHead

You were expecting maybe Jim Jones?

November 29, 2010 at 7:20 pm |
      • AuroraDawn

LOL Maybe that's what it was....or was it Tom Jones???

November 29, 2010 at 7:38 pm |
      • Truth

The fact that he claims Hot Pockets as his signature dish shows just how much this belongs in a food blog.

The film "Idiocracy" is looking downright prophetic.

November 30, 2010 at 10:33 am |
      • Sir Biddle

HOTTTTT Pockkkettttsss! http://www.entertonement.com/clips/ydlwpvjgfl–18

November 30, 2010 at 10:58 am |
      • Evil Grin

@Sir Biddle Death pocketttsss...

November 30, 2010 at 11:06 am |
      • Janna

Again – why are people dissing hot pockets? Eatocracy – everyone has to eat... and sometimes, you just can't cook but have to make something to eat!

November 30, 2010 at 11:50 am |
      • Evil Grin

@Janna, it's not personal, Hot Pockets are just fun to make fun of. Just like SPAM, ramen, pop tarts and other cheap, easy-to-make foods, and fast foods. Many people like some or all of those things, but we still make fun of them just because they are there.

November 30, 2010 at 11:58 am |