September 10th, 2010

CNN Producer Amir Ahmed and wife Mona Megahed share the story of how their family celebrates Eid al-Fitr - the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. From dawn to dusk during the ninth month of the Islamic calendar, observant Muslims abstain from eating, drinking, smoking and sex in order to purify themselves, learn humility, pray and concentrate on Allah's teachings. Click through the gallery above for images of Eid fare around the world.

Ramadan and Eid are special times of the year when people from various parts of the globe enjoy cooking and sharing their traditional foods. Muslim families typically break their fast together and savor the scrumptious meals that have been prepared that day. We have tried a variety of traditional food during this Ramadan but we must admit; our favorite is the Egyptian cuisine. Perhaps we are biased because we trace our roots to the Middle East.

Breaking the fast is a truly social event. At dawn, typically Egyptian families invite friends and relatives to break their fast with either dates or a drink of "Qamar-eddeen" - an apricot juice with small bits of different dried fruit and nuts.

The delicious drink – almost exclusively served during Ramadan – is supposed to supply the body with a much needed dose of sugar after many hours of fasting. It contains raisins and bits of figs, dates, apricots, pine nuts, almonds, and hazelnuts.

Next on the table is a traditional bowl of lentil soup, which is also common among Mediterranean and Arab nations. Egyptians squeeze lemons on it and add extra garlic.

One of the most popular main dishes during this holy month is "mahshi." Rice, parsley, dill, tomato juice, and diced tomatoes are mixed together and rolled in either grape leaves or cabbage leaves . Some choose to stuff carrots, bell peppers , squash or white eggplant with the same ingredients giving these vegetables a distinct and flavor.

If you want to truly speak of a distinct Egyptian dish, then it has to be molokhia. This vegetable, the leaf of the jute tree, is diced into chicken broth with garlic, dried cilantro, salt and pepper. It is made into a slimy green soup, but the taste is addictive.

Another dish that is unique to Egyptian culture is the famous mesaka’a. Turks make a similar dish to it called moussaka. It is made of fried eggplant that is left to dry before adding ground beef, green pepper, jalapeno pepper, tomato sauce, and onions. The key to good mesaka’a is to drain the eggplant after frying it. It makes for a delicious, yet low calorie alternative for all the health-conscious folks out there.

Another must-have and easy-to-make dish is "batatis bil frakh." This translates simply to potatoes with chicken. One slices the potatoes into five or six pieces, adds a little bit of diced onion, tomato sauce, chicken broth and pieces of chicken. After 30-40 min of cooking in the oven it is ready to serve.

Ramadan is well known for its many unique and rich desserts. "Kahk" is definitely on top of the list. "Kahk" is Middle Eastern sugar cookies, made only twice a year to mark the end of Ramadan and the Hajj festivities. Parents usually get together with their young ones and turn the making of "kahk" into a family event. The children enjoy playing with the dough and throwing the sugar atop the sweet smelling cookies. Most of all, they enjoy biting into the sugar cookies and have them melt in their little mouths.

Do you celebrate Ramadan? Share your stories on iReport.

Previously - An iReporter breaks the fast with Iftar

Posted by: ,
Filed under: Bite • Cuisines • Egyptian • Eid • Holidays • Middle Eastern • Ramadan • Ramadan

Next entry »
  1. Osoam Bin Laden

I believe there is a typo in you article. It is not kahk that we are fond of eating, but C0CK. Just ask any male Afghan, they love to eat it!

September 11, 2010 at 2:39 am |
  2. Clayton

Wow! All of that food looks insanely delicious! I wish I could have some :(

September 11, 2010 at 1:45 am |
  3. JuanitaBeasley

Thanks even though my Egyptian husband sucked LOL, this brings back nice memories of Ramadan in Egypt. Soo many sweets and staying up all night and sleeping in the day. It was surreal. Actually, we broke the law and drank some wine during Ramadan, so I think he had to fast for extra days at the end. Egyptian food is really delicious, EXCEPT the molochaya. The one I had was cold, and I couldn't eat it. I think it tastes better hot, maybe. We ate something called biscuit pronounced "bis kweet" that his mom made. Delicious!

September 10, 2010 at 10:20 pm |
  4. dcw

All I know is that now I'm hungry as hell for good Middle Eastern food and those cakes in the first picture look addictive. Do want. By the bucketful, please. Waistlines be damned.

I gotta learn how to cook this stuff. You can't find good Middle Eastern food in this town.

September 10, 2010 at 8:06 pm |
  5. HM

I love learning about new foods and cultures. This food looks delicious! Great article, please keep up the good work on educating others about foods/traditions from different cultures.

September 10, 2010 at 5:06 pm |
  6. RedinAustin

If you don't like the look of a dish and don't want to try it, that's your right. Before you do though, I would suggest taking an objective look at some of the dishes you eat. If you didn't know what it was, or what was in it, would it look a little strange or even gross? Ever eat shepard's pie? Chili? King Ranch Chicken? All delicious, but if you didn't know what they were, you might be turned off by their appearence.

September 10, 2010 at 3:37 pm |
    • Wzrd1

Yummmm, shepard's pie. Chili. Never tried King Ranch Chicken.
      Lentil soup is great!
      And around 10000 recipes for fish...

September 10, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
  7. kl5150

Why does everything turn into Christian vs. Muslims or Republicans vs. Democrats or Liberals vs. Conservatives? It's FOOD for crying out loud! Come Christmas there will hopefully be a nice article on food for Christmas. Although, I must admit it will probably be called "Holiday Meal". lol

September 10, 2010 at 3:36 pm |
  8. bostonian

Why some retards here are calling it muslim food? there is no such thing as muslim food or christian food . i guess I should start calling hot dogs and chicken nugets christian food . instead of coming here making fool out of yourselves why dont you grab a book and educate yourselves

September 10, 2010 at 1:47 pm |
    • PairazzHilton

I have a book called "How to Poke a Porker" by MuhammedMuhammedMooooselam and found it in the food section at the Boston Public Library. Maybe you should get a library card.

September 10, 2010 at 1:54 pm |
    • Wzrd1

Now, now, SOME food is sort of religious. SOME food is just God awful. ;)

September 10, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
      • Col. Stogie

but you won't know until you get yourself a library card.

September 3, 2011 at 2:37 am |
  9. SIM

CNN indirectly sent out a message that this food is purley Muslim and only enjoyed by Muslims. As an Arab Christian of Palestinian descent, I can tell you that my fmaily also eats many of foods shown on holidays. Also, for all those commenting about this being Muslim-taste, need to understand that islam spans counries all over the globe, and Muslims in Bosnia eat different things than muslims in the Middle East or Muslims in Indonesia. It's purely a regional and cultural thing. Muslim is not a culture, but a religion, and food is asociated with a culture and religion (99.9999999999% of the time). This adds to the stereotype that all Muslims are the same and everyone living in the Middle East is muslim and etc., etc.
    TERRIBLE REPORTING CNN

September 10, 2010 at 1:31 pm |
    • RezPause

Well said.

September 10, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
    • Leah (TXanimal)

Did you even read the post? The headline clearly says "An EGYPTIAN family's Eid al-Fitr Feast". The author states several times that these are the foods HER FAMILY prepares. It's a BLOG...therefore, the author is more than likely going to relate HER PERSONAL experiences.

September 10, 2010 at 3:19 pm |
      • Leah (TXanimal)

Correction: *THEIR* family

September 10, 2010 at 3:22 pm |
  10. Popeye

Man, it all looks fantastic. I was wondering why so many sweets were the center piece and then the low blood sugar thing popped up. I'm am curious about more of the down home celebratory "meat and potato" dishes that are severed for this once a year occasion. In another words: What's for turkey?

September 10, 2010 at 1:31 pm |
    • Crystal

What's for turkey? : It really depends on the country/region. Mostly it is beef, goat, and fish for non-vegetarians and would be beans or lentils for vegetarians, both with several vegetable side dishes and salad made up without lettuce. I had a friend from Syria that would grill a stuffed fish for many celebrations. You can find a recipe for many countries if you search the name of the country + food or recipe. It's grown into one of my happiest hobbies. :)
      The explanation for quantity of sweets I received was that when something wonderful happens it's good to eat something sweet. Not so much about the blood sugar as about the joy of it. There are also lots of sweets at weddings and when children are born. Same as U.S. really. I think the variety is just so everyone gets something they really enjoy.

September 10, 2010 at 2:03 pm |
    • Wzrd1

Oh Lord, please save me from the Lebanese table during Eid, lest I require a garage door to enter my home after!

September 10, 2010 at 4:44 pm |
  11. I. Chowdhury

This is a beautiful article. Thank-you for sharing this CNN. There are a lot of negative comments left by the readers and to you all all I have to say is it's a shame that you are so ignorant..........instead take the time to learn about different cultures/religion/cuisine.........you will realize we have more similarities than differences!

September 10, 2010 at 1:31 pm |
  12. Anna

All of that food look so delicious! Great post! I love different kinds of food from all over the world, and I must say Middle Eastern food is one of the bests!

As for the ignorant comments, if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all. This blog wasn't for a speculation on what criticisms the reader had on religion. As a Catholic Croatian-American, I more than appreciate other cultures and religions... and food! Diversity- ITS WHAT MAKES THE WORLD GO 'ROUND!

September 10, 2010 at 1:26 pm |
    • ThomasR

Diversity makes the world go round. And who and what makes the world go "boom"? Or should we even ask you, Mrs. Slobodan Milosevic?

September 10, 2010 at 1:36 pm |
      • JimmyD34

Milosevic was Serbian, not Croatian.

You're on a roll here. champ. Might be time to sign off, I think the short bus is waiting outside to take you home.

September 10, 2010 at 1:43 pm |
      • Anna

Slobodan Milosevic? MMmm nice try. Like I said, Croatian. Maybe you should catch up on your history Mr. Thomas. Or, are you so ignorant that your history is mearly made up of rednecks, guns, and the KKK? Try to have some tolerance. Thanks sir. The people who make the world go 'boom' probably have the same personality as you do.

September 10, 2010 at 1:56 pm |
  13. Adam

Did anyone edit this piece before publication? There are several errors in the first five paragraphs. Not the lest of which is the implication that the fast is being broken at dawn.
    I'm disapoointed in you, CNN.

September 10, 2010 at 1:21 pm |
  14. ThomasR

Yeah, you're soooo smart to correct my bad spelling JimmyD34! Here, see if you can figure this one out? .... Fcuk yuo

September 10, 2010 at 1:09 pm |
    • PairazzHilton

I'll take F U for $1,000.00 Alex!

September 10, 2010 at 1:15 pm |
    • Cleetus McRedstate

Right on brother! How dare these liberal elitists teach us how to read and write! Next think you know, they'll be forcing us to use indoor toilets and mate with non relatives!

These commies can't make us do what we don't wanna do! DON'T TREAD ON ME! I'm a real American!

September 10, 2010 at 1:19 pm |
      • PairazzHilton

Slow day in Arkansas? Your sister has a phone call-from your husbands -sisiers father. It's collect.

September 10, 2010 at 1:25 pm |
      • Wzrd1

There are two kinds of people in the world. Those who have a family tree and those who have a family bowl of spaghetti.

September 10, 2010 at 4:33 pm |
  15. Wzrd1

Just one thing upsets me here. One thing I miss and cannot find here at home is the olives I had in Qatar. Nice, black Egyptian olives (think of spanish black olives of medium size) that were crunchy like an apple, not too heavily brined.
    Well, that and I can't keep my falafel from falling apart, gotta keep working the mix until I get it right...

September 10, 2010 at 1:06 pm |
    • Suz

Oh, stop it, you're making me soooo hungry! Middle Eastern food is my weakness!

September 10, 2010 at 4:12 pm |
    • Wzrd1

There's a REAL nice shop in University City section of Philly that has shwarma to die for. Now that Ramadan is over, I'll have to go and get my shwarma on!

September 10, 2010 at 4:31 pm |
  16. Andrew

It ALL looks good. I can just taste the spices in my brain....

September 10, 2010 at 1:02 pm |

Mmmmm. Spiced Brain. NOMNOMNOMNOM

September 10, 2010 at 4:25 pm |
  17. MarchHare

My husband was stationed in Turkey for 3 yrs, and he loved the turkish dishes...he bought several cookbooks and I make them as often as I can.

September 10, 2010 at 1:01 pm |
  18. ThomasR

It all looks rather good, but be careful with this kind of food. I hear eating it regularly can turn you into some "Allahu akbar"-screaming fanatic with a tendancy to fly commandeered airplanes into skyscrappers. Besides it gives you some raunchy B.O.

September 10, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
    • MarchHare

Apparently eating hot dogs and potato chips turned you into an idiot

September 10, 2010 at 1:03 pm |
      • PairazzHilton

Yet we keep hearing that you enjoy Tube Steak,smothered in underware with Creme Gravy! Almost forgot the Cheeps!

September 10, 2010 at 1:12 pm |
    • JimmyD34

A "tendancy" to fly into "skyscrappers", huh? Maybe you should try feasting on something other than lead paint chips, and you might be able to write at a 4th grade level.

September 10, 2010 at 1:05 pm |
    • Wzrd1

If anyone eats the foods listed here, they won't even want to WALK into a skyscraper. Perhaps go into a full belly coma, but that's about it.
      Pity that YOUR diet consists of piss and vinegar.

September 10, 2010 at 1:08 pm |
  19. GE

Ok everyone! Gather 'round and snack on my kahk! Enjoy!

September 10, 2010 at 12:45 pm |
    • PairazzHilton

Totally Tubeular-SNORT!

September 10, 2010 at 12:53 pm |

LOL

September 10, 2010 at 12:54 pm |
  20. Lisa M

I think the food looks great!!! The only thing missing is the recipes :)

September 10, 2010 at 12:33 pm |
  21. E.Hanna

I am glad that the media is finally capturing other religions' festivities and celebrations. I am tired of hearing claims about how great we are as a nation and about religious freedom, passion and tolerance if we only overwhelm overselves with Christian and Jewish holidays and belittle others.... Its time to be open, and free as we claim we are....& to be able to reach out to others in this world
    kudos for CNN
    Cheers

September 10, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
    • CatfishX

Yeah, through the Peace Corp, our funding of the UN, and aggregate hundreds of billions of relief aid which we've spent, much of which through private donations, we haven't quite "reached out to the world."

September 10, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
  22. BuckFL

I'm always on the look out for a new way to use eggplant. Darn stuff does great in the garden but can be a chore to use up or give away. Worse than zucchini.

September 10, 2010 at 12:21 pm |
  23. fred

this is not Tea Party food of biscuits and gravy, this is cuisine!

September 10, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
    • RezPause

Don't they usually serve little cookies at tea parties? OH, you were being political... I get it... Very original AND relevant.

September 10, 2010 at 1:23 pm |
    • RezPause

And to further the point, how is traditional middle eastern food (especially with this presentation) any more "cuisine" than traditional north american food? Simply because it comes from somewhere else? Simply because you like it more? Is this how we define our culinary enlightenment?

September 10, 2010 at 1:34 pm |
  24. jimiatlas

If bakers, cooks, and musicians ran the world we would have world peace at last.

September 10, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
  25. Jodi

To the blogger who says the food looks like poo and maggots. I suppose it is your choice of words to describe a cultural dish. No one should judge your intent only you know your intent when you wrote it. Politically and culturally insensitive yes.

Don't judge a book by it's cover and don't judge a dish by it's look.

September 10, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
    • RichardHead

If it looks like a duck,and sounds like a duck-Quack! Now where is that book I was gonna start my grill with on Saturday?

September 10, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Another dummy assuming I'm taking a dump on Islam. Maybe I should have left that word out of my sentence. Nah. People are so quick to assume things. It could have been from Ireland, Canada, Kentucky, Buddhist, Hindu, etc culture and I would have said the same thing. Quit being so sensitive and quick to conclusions.

September 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
      • RichardHead

Now don't be pickin' on Kentucky! Jack Daniels and I are good friends along with Colonel Sanders-the old cross eyed bastard.

September 10, 2010 at 12:40 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Just read your comment above. LOL. I think that was cancelled, though. And if you grill, marinate your steak in a Jack or Jim mix. Can't go wrong.

September 10, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
  26. Dan

Jesus Christ is the only hope for this world. Place your faith and trust in God's only begotten son and He will give you eternal life. To reject Him is to choose condemnation and hell.

September 10, 2010 at 12:08 pm |
    • jimiatlas

Wow, what sweet tolerance!

September 10, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
    • Priest Tomato Sauce

May you be touched by his noodly appendage.

September 3, 2011 at 2:53 am |
  27. g

Now that their holy day is over can cnn actually report on something Americans care about?

September 10, 2010 at 12:03 pm |
  28. Elizabeth

I did a search for a recipe for the batatis bil frakh, but couldn't find one. Can anyone help me find it? It sounds wonderful!

September 10, 2010 at 11:57 am |
  29. tree23

Based on many of the ignorant comments I have just read, it is no wonder Americans are disliked by so many around the world. Perhaps you don't realize that these comments can be read globally, including here in Canada. Comparing pine nuts to maggots? Maybe a glazed Krispy-Creme donut stuffed with a Carl Jr. cheeseburger patty is more appealing?

September 10, 2010 at 11:43 am |
    • Suz

I keep telling my boyfriend we should move to Canada. If not for your crazy-cold winters, we totally would! (We might anyway – I can learn to knit woolly sweaters...)

September 10, 2010 at 11:48 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

No thanks. I don't like fast food. Nor doughnuts. Eh.

September 10, 2010 at 11:52 am |
    • Evil Grin

I think he was just saying that it was what the picture LOOKED like. And you have to admit, he's kind of right. At first glance, from that picture at least, it doesn't look appealing.

No doubt they are very tasty, but some dishes aren't as lovely as others. If a chocolate doughnut with white sprinkle from Krispy Kreme had a photo like this, it could look much like maggots, too. It doesn't matter what the food actually is if the first thought after seeing the photo is "it looks like it's crawling with maggots."

Everyone's so quick to take offense and add discriminatory meanings to things. We need to chill out a little and be willing to take some things at face value. The comment was on the picture, not how the dish tastes, and not against the culture.

September 10, 2010 at 11:54 am |
    • erky01

Oh, and don't forget the 5 strips of bacon, melted cheese and mayonnaise. Mmmmm.

September 10, 2010 at 12:38 pm |
  30. CatfishX

CNN's "Don't Miss" obsesses with anything about Ramadan or Islam, but made not a single mention that yesterday was Rosh Hashana. Ohh. there was time for an Israel bash story based on hearsay on the same day a rocket from Gaza landed near an Israeli kndegarten. CNN clearly has a selection bias and is very intent on mainstreaming Islam. How long until Sharia is mainstreamed for the courts in Muslim neighborhoods, like in France and England?

September 10, 2010 at 11:41 am |
    • Sarah LeTrent

Actually, should you be interested, we posted a piece about Rosh Hashanah earlier this week.

September 10, 2010 at 11:50 am |
      • Suz

Thank you! :)

September 10, 2010 at 11:56 am |
      • CatfishX

Thank you for posting the link, much appreciated. My comment was with regard to the CNN "Don't Miss" section on the CNN.com frontpage, which are clearly the more promoted stories and which had no mention yesterday of Rosh Hashana.

September 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

Eatocracy is in the party of deliciousness, no matter the nation or creed. Like Sarah said – we posted global Rosh Hashanah recipes, and on other holidays, we'll post appropriate recipes. Food crosses boundaries. Take a taste.

September 10, 2010 at 11:57 am |
  31. Indu

CNN did not mention Hyderabadi Haleem!!! That's one food which every hyderabadi craves for..Hindus,Christians,Muslims and people of different faiths look forward for Ramzan in Hyderabad,India and offcourse whole of India.
    Ramzan is the time for everyone to sit together and share happiness and offcourse food. Iam missing Haleem!! I wish some indian resturant makes HALEEM.

September 10, 2010 at 11:26 am |
    • Crystal

Oh! Haleem! I salivate.

September 10, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
  32. aline

yummmi ma3moul.. the best sweet ever especially the date one.. happy eid to everyone

September 10, 2010 at 11:21 am |
  33. Curious

Will someone please tell me why this network is promoting muslims and Islamism to such an extent?

Not a day goes by (almost) without atleast one article related to this religion or their way of life. Why not give all the religions equal time (on TV) and space (on the website)? If the aim is to promote understanding, then I am sure the muslims have a lot to understand about the other religions as well.

September 10, 2010 at 11:16 am |
    • Leah (TXanimal)

Actually, there are plenty of other blog entries, articles and photos on here related to other religions (check out the Belief Blog), but since they are more "commonplace" to you, you probably don't even notice them. I've commented on far more Christian-related blog entries & articles than I have Islam-related ones.

Also, in light of the fact that today is a major holiday in Islam, the fact that we are at war in a country that is predominantly Muslim and the recent controversy with the possible Quran-burning and community center in NY, it's not unreasonable to expect a fair amount of coverage. Plus, you must surely realize that there are plenty of Muslims who are US citizens. I'm sure they appreciate the major media outlets shining a little light on their culture and history. If you want to whine about unfair coverage, speak up for us Buddhists...we hardly get any coverage at all!

September 10, 2010 at 11:24 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

Leah's right - we posted a piece about Rosh Hashanah earlier this week. When it's a Catholic holiday, Jain holiday, Buddhist holiday - if there's food, we'll write about it.

We all eat. It's FINE and even DESIRABLE for most people to try and/or read about food from other cultures. You won't catch cooties - I promise, and you might even find something delicious you never knew you'd love.

September 10, 2010 at 11:31 am |
      • Suz

Oh, I missed that piece – I will have to look it up. My favorite part about Rosh Hashanah is eating apples dipped in honey – such a simple, sweet treat. :)

September 10, 2010 at 11:38 am |
    • JimmyD34

Right, we never hear about holiday cuisine during Christmas or Easter. Really, that's just what America needs, more exposure for Christmas. There simply aren't enough TV commercials and such.

September 10, 2010 at 11:31 am |
    • spider

I agree, I think every major network, if you can call them that, except Fox has had several pieces on Islam the last couple of days. I'm sorry but no matter how hard they try, they are not going to change my dislike for Islam and its one-way, I can do this to you, but do not do it to me, phony religion. Its as if CNN, ABC, CBS, MSNBC all think I give a hoot about their religious holidays, I DON'T !

September 10, 2010 at 11:34 am |
      • JimmyD34

Yet you visit the web page and click on the story. CNN wins!

September 10, 2010 at 11:40 am |
    • Suz

I think it's important for journalists to do op-eds about Islam, especially now – so much hate and intolerance in America towards Islam. It's astonishing to me at how bigoted people have become. All hate and all intolerance stems from lack of knowledge and understanding about something and, rather than open their minds to learn about a way of life different than their own, most people choose to shut down, block out and put up a wall. It benefits nobody and only creates further divisiveness.

By choosing to do a piece on food – something we can all relate to – it opens up a tiny doorway to fostering understanding. Nobody's trying to convert anyone to Islam, but I think that the journalists are doing their duty to try to educate people. If people refuse to be educated, then they demonstrate their own ignorance and are no better than the extremists (who also refuse to be educated about other ways of life).

September 10, 2010 at 11:46 am |
  34. JD

So if you are diabetic, are you less holy during this period because you are unable to fast dusk-to-dawn without going into a diabetic coma?

September 10, 2010 at 11:02 am |
    • khloe

Actually no, if you do not have the ability to fast during this holy month god forgives you as if you fasted the whole month.

September 10, 2010 at 11:14 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Interesting query. Does sucking on a piece of candy count?

September 10, 2010 at 11:14 am |
      • khloe

When you fast you cant suck on a piece of candy.

September 10, 2010 at 11:15 am |
    • Suz

If it's anything like Judaism, you get a pass if you have a health condition that is prohibitive of fasting. Yom Kippur is coming up, and although I will be fasting, I have friends who cannot because of various conditions (Crohn's, pregnancy, etc.). Not sure what Islam's stance is on it, but I would imagine it's similar.

September 10, 2010 at 11:14 am |
      • Barbara in PA

You are correct Suz, if you are elderly, diabetic, pregnant or nursing, or have an illness that you are not able to fast, you can feed a hungry person each day, and are not held in any type of bad regard – God makes that clear in the Qur'an or ahadith (and Allahu alim).

To Curious – when it's Christmas, or Halloween or Easter or Thanksgiving, there are always numerous articles about this nice thing that a Christian did, or that nice thing, or look at the cute Halloween/Easter outfits the kids are wearing, look at all the food for Thanksgiving, etc. You don't see Muslims wringing their hands or making hateful comments about the "promotion of" anything. It's a fact that in this country, those things are celebrated, but then again, so is Eid.

Just get over it, it's a holiday that doesn't affect or hurt you in any way. Can't we all just try and get along?!?!

September 10, 2010 at 11:20 am |
    • Jen

Those who are ill or who have medical issues are not expected to fast.

September 10, 2010 at 11:23 am |
  35. Rick McDaniel

They need to eat something that will inspire tolerance and decency towards their fellow man, and reject violence and intolerance of other religions.

September 10, 2010 at 10:58 am |
    • RezPause

Maybe they are just cranky because of the food? (kidding of course, but I couldn't resist)

September 10, 2010 at 11:00 am |
      • JimmyD34

For someone who didn't think this article is main page worthy, you sure seem to be spending some quality time posting here. Glad you finally came around.

September 10, 2010 at 11:27 am |
      • RezPause

Caught me off guard when I realized real live people at CNN were monitoring this (two free-range editors in fact!) inane article. I was hooked when they actually rearranged the pictures based on some of the comments here. This is way more fun than trolling for liberals.

September 10, 2010 at 1:20 pm |
  36. Chut Pata

Eid Mobarek to all Moslem friends, especially Pakistanies, from an agnostic Indian that is not Islamophobic or Pakophobic.

September 10, 2010 at 10:52 am |
  37. Sue

September 10, 2010 at 10:51 am |
  38. Suz

I love food from all different kinds of cultures, and Middle Eastern cuisine is no exception – I love the different spices and herbs they use. Additionally, I am a vegetarian, and a great deal of Middle Eastern and Indian cuisine is very vegetarian-friendly. Can't say enough good things about it.

Thanks for sharing these pictures! (Although I am now REALLY hungry for mesaka...)

September 10, 2010 at 10:50 am |
  39. Tanya

I think food looks great! Just because you aren't used to the types of food from other cultures doesn't mean they aren't good. I love Middle Eastern food and I was so NOT brought up on anything exotic. My mom's idea of international food is pizza! I would love to try any of these foods and see how they taste.

September 10, 2010 at 10:49 am |
  40. kara

Eid Mubarak to all. I definitely think learning about Islam through food is the way to go. A local Turkish organization hosts free cooking classes as well as Ramadan iftars. Great way to learn about Muslims and enjoy food. Would love to have recipes included with this page. Middle Eastern food is yummy–so is Indian... but why no pictures from the most populous Muslim nations like Indonesia and Malaysia?? Less than 20% of the World's Muslims are from Arabic-speaking countries.

September 10, 2010 at 10:29 am |
    • Barbara in PA

Thank you Kara! And Eid Mubarak to you!

They should show some Moroccan food, that is the BEST!!!

September 10, 2010 at 11:16 am |

That's what I've heard.

September 10, 2010 at 11:24 am |
    • mdafif

You remind me of how much I enjoyed Indonesian/Malaysian food for Eid – we cook huge meals for anybody who come to our house. Well, I used to. Now how am I supposed to enjoy danish and croissant they serve in TX? Well that's what they say, 'when in Rome..'
      When in Texas, don't expect to enjoy lemang, rendang, and the beautifully decorated cakes on Eid.

September 10, 2010 at 11:53 am |
  41. Leah (TXanimal)

Mmmmmm...mesaka...

Sometimes this blog really makes me hate living in W TX. Burgers, BBQ & steak gets really old... ;)

September 10, 2010 at 10:22 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I know what you mean. I live in WI, the food palette around here is pretty bland, though there are a few restaurants with outstanding Mexican, Cajun, and seafood menus. The Michigan UP was the worst place I have ever been for variety. Everything is burgers and fries up there. Ugh. I liked Alaska for it's plethora of Asian and Pacific Island foods.

September 10, 2010 at 10:25 am |
      • Leah (TXanimal)

Oh yes, Alaska was great! I grew up near Cleveland, and we had an excellent variety of ethnic cuisine (I know that surprises some people!). One of my father's business clients owned a Lebanese/Mediterranean restaurant, so I grew up eating hummus, tabbouleh & baklava. Heck, even when I lived in small-town NM, we had Thai, Filipino, Korean, Dutch and German fare! We have a decent Korean restaurant here, but that's about it...we don't even have a good Italian place!

September 10, 2010 at 11:17 am |
  42. Kendal

I wish the trolls that go on EVERY ARTICLE EVER POSTED on CNN would shut the hell up about politics and just... go with the articles. I can't even go on the food blogs without "Truth" saying some stupid comments where he peppers the use of "liberal" and "apply liberally" in negative conotation. Its food. Right. The guy thinks some of it looks gross. Entitled to his opinion just as every one else but lets stay on topic and not start bickering over muslim hate or how Islamic stuff is being forced down our throats. This is the time of their holiday so it's mentioned. December is when Christmas happens and yet two weeks from down ever department store in the USA will have Xmas shit everywhere, forcing it down their throats. Take turns. Seriously. We can all opress each other and force our beliefs on others equally. Yay religion!

September 10, 2010 at 10:19 am |
    • Observer

Wow, lotss of Christophobia in your post. You always hate this much?

September 10, 2010 at 10:23 am |
    • Suz

Kendal – I happen to agree with you. As a Jewish American – a very liberal one – I have sort of taken the position of celebrating the best parts of EVERYBODY'S faith-based practices. Do I believe in Jesus as a savior? No – but I enjoy Christmas because it's a great time to reconnect with loved ones. Do I believe in anything Islam-related? No – but I enjoy appreciating the similarities between Islam and Judaism, and I like to learn about cultures other than my own (especially as far as FOOD is concerned! Yum!).

So – yeah. Everyone using this article as an excuse to soapbox about politics is a little misguided. It's just FOOD, people! You don't have to like it – but you should at least try it, twice if possible, so you can make an informed, delicious opinion.

September 10, 2010 at 11:06 am |
  43. Sue

Thank you for sharing this part of your culture with us. Small steps toward understanding each other mean a lot.

September 10, 2010 at 10:16 am |
  44. Truth

Between building mosques, buring korans and the 9/11 anniversary and perceived "islamophobia", I think CNN is giving us our US RDA of all things muslim.

As to food, my wife is Asian, and I think it all pretty much begins and ends there, but that is just me.

BTW, JDIZZ, how about them Saints? How much did the GF salivate?

September 10, 2010 at 10:13 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I was hoping for some more fireworks, but it was a good tough game. Didn't expect it to be so close. And she got her fill of The Favre. X)

September 10, 2010 at 10:22 am |
      • RichardHead

Is that your nickname for "Beanie Wienee"? How 'bout them Cowboy's?

September 10, 2010 at 10:28 am |
      • Mary

GO COWBOYS!!

September 10, 2010 at 12:27 pm |
  45. Paddlefoot

Some of that stuff looks great. I wonder if they dishes are heavy on the spice (i.e. "heat"), or if they're savory as opposed to hot. The sweets/dessert look nice, too.

Only 10am and already I could really go for a curry!

Signed,
    White guy from Montreal

September 10, 2010 at 10:03 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

That's what I was wondering about the last pic.

September 10, 2010 at 10:08 am |
    • AmyJ

White girl from Arkansas concurs with the curry craving! ;)

September 10, 2010 at 10:16 am |
    • kara

Middle Eastern food is usually not very hot. Think cumin, garlic, onion. Now Pakistani food–that has some spice.

Turkish food is just plain delicious as are the Turkish sweets. I love sekerpare (semolina cookies) and kanzandibi (burnt milk pudding).

Kahk (the cookies in the first picture) are just O.K. Not very sweet. I'll take ghoraibi (butter cookies with almonds on top) over them any day.

September 10, 2010 at 10:38 am |
  46. Rabbi David

I'm over it...I have the feeling that government and its media fellow travellers are craming all this Islamic stuff down America's throat because they now realize America can't save the Middle East from the spread of Islamofascist ideals and goals.America has failed in Iraq at great cost now government is scared,very scared.So instead of solving problems with drones and bombs,the Obamaites want to try to solve things by talking.Only these guys don't talk-they act out.Don't think think they don't watch the media frenzy related to the Crackpot Koran cookoff competition.So learn what Muslims eat America, swim in it cause the admin of BHO WILL bring Islam right into your living room and you WILL love your neighbor or big brother will help YOU to love him. All because we are afraid of defending what is our country,way of life and values.This is all being traded without your permission to try and make peace with a group that is smart enough never to make peace when you show your fear in the face of their force & threats.

September 10, 2010 at 10:02 am |
    • Z

Troll... just jealous because they're no article about Jewish food.

September 10, 2010 at 10:04 am |
      • Suz

LOL – that's because a lot of Jewish food is gross. And I should know, I'm Jewish! :)

September 10, 2010 at 10:42 am |
      • Wzrd1

Jewish food is gross only because many can't use fava beans, so they substitute with chickpeas only, rather than the more tasty mix of the two. ;)
        I'm Italian American, but I eat in a dozen languages. :D

September 10, 2010 at 12:38 pm |
      • ringo

Yeah, they should do a Jewish recipe blog for Yom Kippur.

September 10, 2010 at 9:54 pm |
    • Paddlefoot

Jesus said love your neighbor... not "love your neighbor provided they are exactly like you." If Al Jazira did a piece on what food Christians eat to celebrate Christmas, do you think that muslims would be justified in freaking out because there are photos of turkey, stuffing and cranberries?

Seriously, its just food. Try going out to an "ethnic" restaurant, where none of the menu items come with fries and nothing on the menu is breaded and deep fried.

September 10, 2010 at 10:07 am |
      • Wzrd1

Actually, turkey sells QUITE well in the Persian Gulf region. Cranberry sauce varies by region.
        But THEY'LL eat it any time of year, not at a prescribed time of year like we do.
        You'd be amazed how many Arabs come here for college.

September 10, 2010 at 12:41 pm |
      • BBoy705

And it's low in fat! ;-)

September 10, 2010 at 12:52 pm |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I hesitate to opine on this. However, it's my belief that Armageddon will actually be comprised of a war between the West and the Middle East and it's supporters due to the Christian/Muslim friction (think Iran/Israel conflict that gets out of hand). But I am just a man with a theory.

September 10, 2010 at 10:07 am |
      • Moroccan

The last ppl who should be criticizing these pictures are AMERICANS. You guys won't know a good cuisine even if it hits you upside the head. That's why obesity is an epidemic in this country.

September 10, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I'm not obese. Not even close to being chubby. And you can go back to Morocco if you don't like our opinions. Who should be the FIRST? And why?

September 10, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

This is a food blog. We write about food here. If there's a tradition - from ANY culture - that involves food, we will cover it.

We all eat, and we all eat different things. Where is the harm in learning about what other people eat? I see only opportunity for good and growth and deliciousness.

September 10, 2010 at 10:07 am |
      • AmyJ

Amen, Kat! :)

September 10, 2010 at 10:14 am |
      • Elizabeth

I agree with you...food is wonderful...food from other cultures is wonderful...it is a ice-breaker...food brings people together...whenever my husband and I travel we try to find local places to eat...yum...yum...better yet is to enjoy a meal with friends from different countries, we learn more, we live more.

Let us all raise a glass – praise food and salute this wonderful life!

September 10, 2010 at 10:33 am |
      • Suz

Thanks, Kat – agree with you 100%.

I am Jewish, but my REAL religion is Foodie-ism. :)

September 10, 2010 at 11:17 am |
      • Wzrd1

There IS harm done. To my waistband!
        Oh well, guess I'll have to get off of my butt and work off the excess.
        Keep up the good work!

September 10, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
      • Crystal

Thanks. Keep up the good work. Middle Eastern food is one of my favorites. The aroma is hypnotic. It's the only time I've ever had to tell myself before eating "I'm stopping with this plate. There's another meal later." It is that fantastic. We had a Syrian neighbor that used to bring us a whole stuffed fish cooked on the grill with salad and a rice dish and lemons and olives on Eid and would invite us to Iftar during Ramadan. I had never known food could be like that. They moved back 11 years ago and I still miss them. The ones that feed you well you never forget. Thanks for stirring a great memory.

September 10, 2010 at 1:35 pm |
    • Chris

America did not fail in Iraq. Saddam is gone, women can vote, and they have a government. Would you deem a 7 year old child a 'failure' because he cannot yet read Homer's Iliad? It is YOU who have failed. Failed to research other than the NY Times, and YOU have failed at supporting our troops.

September 10, 2010 at 10:17 am |
      • aqq

100% correct. nothing, when it comes to war, is accomplished in a mere 7 or 8 years. people are still affected, reeling and dealing with stuff that happened in WWII. India gained independence over 60 years ago and is just coming around as a leader in some facets of economy. I am amazed that people think one war, one attempt to assist, and one attempt to globalize is all that it takes. That indeed 7 years is more than adequate to change something that took thousands of years to make and many nasty regimes to destroy.

September 10, 2010 at 10:42 am |
    • Barbara in PA

And I guess you probably think the IDF is the "most moral Army in the world" too, eh?

Get over yourself. Muslims are NOT going away, even if you try and destroy them with drones and bombs. Are you going to start having drone fly overs in the USA too? Because there are a LOT of us here too you know?

You are nothing more than a jealous hater.

September 10, 2010 at 11:05 am |
      • Barbara in PA

Not to mention, some of THE most tasty food I've ever had is Middle Eastern (Afghani, Moroccan, Egyptian) and Indian/Pakistani.

September 10, 2010 at 11:10 am |
      • Wzrd1

Oh yeah? You REALLY think that?
        Well, Eid Mubarak to you!

September 10, 2010 at 12:47 pm |
      • Wzrd1

When I redeployed back from the Persian Gulf, I shipped quite a few boxes of spices home. :)

September 10, 2010 at 12:48 pm |
    • DenverGrl

I'm just going to make a guess that you really aren't a rabbi. The rabbis I know would never say what you've said. I think you're more of a troll in Jewish clothing. Chag sameach (happy holiday), and l'shanah tovah (happy new year) to all of you.

September 10, 2010 at 11:46 am |
      • Suz

Was thinking the same thing.

September 10, 2010 at 11:50 am |
    • Debdu322

Rabbi, you must have had too much Manischewitz because you made absolutely no sense. Middle Eastern food is actually very good in my opinion. So is Thai, Greek, Vietnamese, oh and Passover rolls (which I actually made myself). I was born and grew up in the South and my parents taught me to "step outside the box" when it comes to different cuisines which I've also passed on to my children and grandchildren. They'll try anything once.

September 10, 2010 at 11:48 am |
      • Wzrd1

I'll try anything twice. Just in case one time was an oops.

September 10, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
  47. WasabiPotPie

Looks like Jdizzle McHammerpants rolled a$$hole first out of the bed this morning. Why don't you go to a middle eastern restaurant and try some traditional foods but I do not think that over 1 billion Muslims care about your opinion of their food.

September 10, 2010 at 9:58 am |
    • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Cause I have yet to hear more than a handful of people rave about any middle eastern restaurant/food. Usually, "It's pretty good" response. I do have a Lebanese friend that makes some pretty good Lebanese food. Haven't seen him in a while and I can't remember the dish. Involved hummis.

And for the record, I'm in a fine mood today. My comment is an visual opinion, not an emotional tirade.

September 10, 2010 at 10:03 am |
    • RezPause

Someone posted a big spread about their traditional foods on CNN and Mchammerwhatever posted what many (including me) were thinking when we actually looked at the pictures of the food. It's really not presented in an inviting manner. There, is that a more polite way of putting it?

September 10, 2010 at 10:10 am |
    • AmyJ

That's because you apparently need to get out of your social circle and try some stuff. Middle Eastern food rocks!

September 10, 2010 at 10:12 am |
    • RezPause

Small minded people assuming that because this food doesn't look appealing to someone then they don't "go outside their social circle" to eat. Brilliant conclusion. The pictures, while technically proficient, need some help.

September 10, 2010 at 10:19 am |
      • RezPause

And note that the pic of "pine nut covered feces" in the aluminum tray is no longer the first image in the list.

September 10, 2010 at 10:33 am |

I also noticed that.

September 10, 2010 at 10:43 am |
      • Kat Kinsman

Two of the pictures are from the author's home meal. A lot of times, that's gonna be about yumminess and immediacy, rather than food styling. It ain't pretty, but it sure is delicious - and it's REAL.

Oh – and we did move some pix around. We *do* pay attention to what you all say, you know!

September 10, 2010 at 10:53 am |
      • RichardHead

@Kat Kinsman-I must say that the morning picture posted earlier looked strangely familiar. Oh Yeah,it's what my dog deposited on my neighbors lawn this morning. I don't think she was trying to be artistic yet it raises the question-Where did she go out to eat last nite while I was asleep?

September 10, 2010 at 11:12 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

You're a bad neighbor, Head. X)

September 10, 2010 at 11:19 am |
  48. RezPause

This is worthy of the main page of CNN?

September 10, 2010 at 9:54 am |
    • Kim

Actually, I found it very interesting.

September 10, 2010 at 10:04 am |
      • DukeMantee

Me, too.

September 10, 2010 at 10:26 am |
    • aqq

me three!

September 10, 2010 at 10:38 am |
      • Kari

Me Four!

September 10, 2010 at 10:58 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Me 58th! Cause it has purdy pikchures to see at.

September 10, 2010 at 11:21 am |
      • FZ

me five

September 10, 2010 at 11:25 am |
    • RezPause

OK, my bad... didn't realize CNN had a food blog. I will refrain from commenting on the authenticity of a blog sponsored by a giant news outlet like CNN...

September 10, 2010 at 10:44 am |
      • Kat Kinsman

Oh, we're a 100% all-natural, free-range blog, I promise. No preservatives or HFCS or anything. Just a couple of editors who love the heck out of some food and are lucky enough to get to share that.

September 10, 2010 at 10:50 am |
    • Wzrd1

I was deployed for nearly 5 years in the Persian Gulf region. It just reminded me of some fine feasts!

September 10, 2010 at 12:35 pm |
    • trainwreck

why not.

September 10, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
    • BBoy705

I found it very interesting and this close to lunch it has inspired me to go to the local Lebanese deli for some sweet desserts!

September 10, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
    • MarchHare

when half the world is celebrating a festival....YES...it is. you strat to foster understanding by learning about others.

September 10, 2010 at 1:05 pm |
      • RezPause

*Half* the world? Seriously doubt it. I work with many muslims and they are not having any special feasts right now.

September 10, 2010 at 1:16 pm |
      • Crystal

@rezpause Why do you think they should have told you their plans for the evening?? Perhaps they don't want to bring it up at work because they're working. Or perhaps it's because they don't want it to digress into something that feels as rotten as some of this thread has digressed into. Can you imagine someone talking this way about Thanksgiving or Christmas celebrations? Rights of opinion aside, would it make you feel good to participate in this discussion face to face if all the hate/rudeness were directed at your life? It would kinda spoil the mood for the night wouldn't it? You really want to take a chance at bringing that home to your mother on a celebration night? This is not about your comments in particular, obviously, just read the entire thread. It isn't particularly pleasant on whole. In addition to that, it is still pretty rude to discuss a party coming up in front of a colleague that isn't invited. What are they supposed to say if someone invites themselves. (we all know people who would) "Hey Ma! Here's ___ who wants to know more about us by coming over and telling their opinion all over the biryiani. We're not supposed to care." Ask what their traditions are for Eid later, but perhaps don't investigate it at them. What is this!?!??

September 10, 2010 at 4:34 pm |
  49. Jdizzle McHammerpants

The dish in the first picture looks like feces covered in maggots. The only things that look good at all is the tea in slide 5 and the combination of dishes oon the last slide, 15. There must be more appetizing Islamic cousine than this.

September 10, 2010 at 9:41 am |
    • Evil Grin

I don't know, most of it looks good to me. But yeah, thanks for the maggot image. Now that's all I can see on that first picture. =)

I would love to try the pies with cream in the middle.

September 10, 2010 at 10:00 am |
      • donna

The unhygienic photos # 8 and # 14 need to go. Are there no utensils? This is how disease is spread.

September 11, 2010 at 3:57 am |
    • Phil Photo

That's why food photo-stylists have jobs. You can make a plain steak and potato look like poo, if you just take a snap of it.

September 10, 2010 at 10:01 am |
    • Z

The best food is from Pakistan.

September 10, 2010 at 10:03 am |
      • Big Bill

Is this Zeeshan from Maryland?

September 10, 2010 at 11:13 am |
    • heather6

Jdizzle,
      Rev. Terry Jones called. There is a space waiting for you at his Islam-hating church.

September 10, 2010 at 10:05 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

I fail to see the reference of any dislike of Islam in my post. I did, however, mention my dislike of how some of the food looked, which happens to be of Muslim taste. My browser must need updating since I seem to be missing what you read. Either that, or you should get off your soapbox and stop assuming things about what others think and stop trying to pick fights, idiot.

September 10, 2010 at 10:11 am |
      • aline

to curious and to every1 ignorant.. muslim taste food?? ur damn killing me.. i am born in christian family in lebanon.. and this food is the best.. what ur talking about muslim taste??? what has that got 2 do with anthg? geeezzz.. u didnt like the look of it u need to taste it dear.. its damn good

September 10, 2010 at 11:25 am |
      • mike

Taste doesn't necessarily mean how the food actually tastes. ie: if someone dresses poorly, they could have bad taste.

September 10, 2010 at 12:10 pm |
      • Mary J

I don't see how his comment makes him a hater of Islam. If he thinks the food looks nasty, so what? I find hamburgers disgusting. Does that make me hate America? At least he appears to have some sort of belief that not all Middle Eastern cuisine is disgusting just based on these few photos. So please take your rhetoric somewhere else.

September 12, 2010 at 1:32 am |
    • Will

Lol... it's cuisine.... learn how to spell.. if you don't know the word, don't use it.

September 10, 2010 at 10:14 am |
      • B. Moe

Learn when to use ellipses you moron.

September 10, 2010 at 10:42 am |
    • CSG

Dear Jdizzle, you oviously have a very unsophisticated palette. Pine nuts, my friend. Don't you know what pine nuts are? Even middle-class Americans cook with pine nuts (basic ingrediant when making fresh pesto sauce). Do you know what pesto sauce is? The foods of the Mediterranean are among the best (and most healthy) in the world. Think spanish, french, Italian, lebanese, greek,... and northern africa, hence, egypt.

September 10, 2010 at 10:14 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Obviously. I'm glad so many people understand me better than I do. Thanks for the enlightenment.

I know what pine nuts are. I also know I don't care for them. You don't have to be a food snob to know what you do and don't like.

September 10, 2010 at 10:30 am |
    • Suz

It may look weird to you, but trust me – it's delicious!!!

September 10, 2010 at 10:41 am |
    • Sue

Sorry, photo 5 is totally misleading. What they're drinking is a rose drink (rose water with syrup), not tea at all. And it isn't an Eid drink. It's available everywhere in India, all year long. The date cakes are delicious, though.

September 10, 2010 at 10:52 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Grape drink: water, sugar, and Purple

September 10, 2010 at 11:26 am |
    • Eduardo Boro

The first picture is actually of cookies, the second is of the dish you describe as "excrement"

September 10, 2010 at 11:10 am |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

They shuffled the pics since they first posted the article.

September 10, 2010 at 11:12 am |
    • Wzrd1

Either they reordered the photographs or one of us needs a vision check. The first photo looks like a mini-pastry that is common all over the middle east AND europe on holidays.
      The SECOND image can cause some pause, those are pine nuts, something that is common in the middle east AND in Italian cooking.
      As for the article mentioning the lentil soup, I don't use lemon on mine, I use a pinch of sumac. It brings out the flavor beautifully.
      And no mention of mamoul? Blasphemy! Or something. OK, seriously, freshly made mamoul was REAL popular in Arab nations, I imagine Egyptians love it too.

September 10, 2010 at 11:21 am |
    • aline

btw the first photo is mammoul.. this is best pastry ever we do it here in lebanon on easter with either dates.. peanuts .. or sugar best ever..

September 10, 2010 at 11:28 am |
      • Wzrd1

Yep! Pity that wasn't mentioned in the article. Personally, I like the date mammoul.

September 10, 2010 at 12:29 pm |
    • DanaeMRB

Well you must have experience with maggot covered feces old boy........I've never seen that! The arabic sweets are delicious (especially the ones in the Middle East) and highly recommended!
      As for the mousaka dish being Turkish ( slide 2) ! Ha how ignorant can you get? It is very very Greek!
      Happy Eid Fitr to all our muslim friends! :)

September 10, 2010 at 11:30 am |
      • Kat Kinsman

I'm gonna note that yes, there is, of course, Greek moussaka, but that's just one version. That one tends to be layered, but the Turkish rendition is not.

It's all REALLY good, though.

September 10, 2010 at 11:39 am |
      • Wzrd1

IN essence, many of the dishes are based upon the original Arabic cuisine. Remember, the spice trade and olive oil trade resulted in a LOT of culinary interchange.
        Various wars did the same as well over the centuries.
        Arak is an Arabic drink, diluted down it becomes ouzo, dilute it down a bit more and it's anisette.
        Arak's flavor is SO substantial, I've used it in place of anise extract quite a few times.

September 10, 2010 at 12:34 pm |
    • trainwreck

i guess you just prefer your foods covered in a white sheet?

September 10, 2010 at 12:38 pm |
    • MarchHare

Crimeny....its just PINE NUTS! I have Pine Nuts in my pantry...it isn't some strange or new food item!

September 10, 2010 at 12:59 pm |
    • Jack

This has to be one of the most ignorant, idiotic and bigoted remarks I've seen in a while. The cuisine has nothing to do with Islam. The feast is to mark a religious celebration but the style of the foods themselves have to do with where they're prepared.

Or do you think there's such a thing as "Christian Food?" What would that be?

September 10, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
      • Jdizzle McHammerpants

Again, just commenting on how the food LOOKS IN THE PICTURE. You guys are all sensitive to what was not said. You're the kind that sue a restaurant when you spill hot coffee on yourself. Lighten up.

To answer your question: Fish and Chips. No, 2 fish and 5 loaves of bread. I take that back. Boiled gizzards that are then sauteed in a brown gravy. MMMMM!!

September 10, 2010 at 2:39 pm |
    • I. Chowdhury

Your comment is very disrespectful. Have an open mind and try to understand a different culture and it's cuisine prior to making such insulting comments. I am sure you wouldn't want others to judge what you eat either. Only when we attempt to understand each other can we make this world a better place to live in.

September 10, 2010 at 1:28 pm |
    • Cryan

The correct word is cuisine. Cousine is a female cousin in french.

September 10, 2010 at 6:28 pm |
    • ringo

I think you mean the second picture (eggplant, lamb, and pine nuts). The first picture looks like pfeffernussen. Because it is,,,

September 10, 2010 at 9:49 pm |
    • PC

COME ON....that is ground meat covering egglpant, topped with pine nuts. It's delicious..go to a Greek or Middle Eastern restaurant and try it. You probably don't eat black beans and rice cause it looks like a pile of maggots topped with rabbit droppings. And I'd bet your plate looks like a pile of garbage at the local buffet on Friday night.

August 1, 2011 at 3:12 pm |