August 2nd, 2010

On tonight's Mad Men episode, Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce hosted a last-second holiday...okay, Christmas fete, complete with chafing dishes of unspecified "deli" and "Chinese" delights. (Not to mention a bazillion gallons of Stoli vodka) We perused our vintage holiday cookbooks and suspect these dishes might have made it onto the menu.

From 'A Treasury of Holiday Ideas from Near and Far', distributed by the New York State Electrical and Gas Corporation:

A-B-C Spread

2 Tbsp toasted almonds, finely chopped
2 slice bacon, fried crisp, finely chopped
1 cup creamed style cottage cheese
2 Tbsp onion, minced
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce

Blend all ingredients thoroughly in an electric mixer or blender. Chill well and serve on whole wheat crackers

Lime Party Salad

16 marshmallows
1 cup milk
1 pkg lime-flavored gelatin
2 3-oz pkgs cream cheese
1 No. 2 can undrained crushed pineapple [Ed. note – that's 16-17 oz]
1 cup heavy cream
2/3 cup mayonnaise

Dissolve marshmallows in milk over low heat. Pour mixture over gelatin to dissolve. Blend in cream cheese and fold in with mayonnaise. Pour into a 9" ring mold or 12 individual molds. Serve garnished with curly endive and ripe olives. Serves 12.

And our own original Mad Men-inspired cocktail recipe:

The Red-Hot Holloway

1 bottle vodka
1 lb Red Hots candies
6 oz orange juice
Seltzer

Pour contents of vodka and all Red Hots into a container large enough to hold both. Seal shut at room temperature for 24 hours, then strain contents back into vodka bottle, making sure to remove any bits of candy.

Stir 2 oz of the candied vodka with 6 oz of orange juice, top with a big splash of seltzer and serve over ice.

Previously on Mad Men food spotting - Chicken Kiev

Posted by:
Filed under: Cocktail Recipes • Mad Men • Make • Recipes • Retro • Sip • Spirits • Television • Think

Next entry »
« Previous entry
  1. M Rogers

I love this show which is why I read the article. commenting about the shape of the Red Hots – REALLY?. Kat, I enjoyed your article. As for the negative posters - if you are not into the show, then don't read articles about it and, certainly don't waste our time with your useless comments. I have never understood people who find it necessary to say something even when they don't have anything to say.

August 2, 2010 at 12:42 pm |
  2. M

Gallons of Stoli? I'm fairly new at watching Mad Men so maybe I missed something, but I would be surprised if they've been drinking Stoli. It wasn't distributed in the US until 1972.

August 2, 2010 at 12:36 pm |
    • Kat Kinsman

They have a bit of a Stoli fetish on Mad Men, having gotten it as contraband.

"This season, Sterling gets his hands on some prized contraband: Soviet-made Stolichnaya (then not available in the United States). His priorities remain solidly in place. “Help yourself,” he tells a colleague. “Not the Stoli.”"

August 2, 2010 at 12:39 pm |
      • M

Thanks. I wondered if it was something like that. It certainly isn't a brand I associate with the 60's!

August 2, 2010 at 1:06 pm |
  3. The Man in the Rubber Suit

Seems CNN covers this show a lot. Wagers if some CNN parent company, etc. has something to do with this show?

August 2, 2010 at 11:46 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

No skulduggery involved. I just really dig the show and have a lots of period-appropriate cookbooks. They eat and drink a lot, so I write about it.

It's actually on a competing network, I believe.

August 2, 2010 at 11:50 am |
  4. Steve

Glad there isn't something important, like "news" to bother covering...

August 2, 2010 at 11:34 am |
  5. Lara

"Bland in cream cheese" is right!

August 2, 2010 at 10:48 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

Ha! That's what I get for posting in the middle of the night. Would that Mad Men were on a tad earlier.

As for the shape of Red Hots - I'm waiting for a call back from Ferrara Pan to find out what year the heart shape was introduced. They're seasonal - usually Red Hots are discs - but we're finding out.

August 2, 2010 at 11:06 am |
  6. Lou

I don't know about the holiday fare, but I've ordered Old Fashioneds before, specifically because of Mad Men, and I have to say that the Friday night bartender at Ortanique on Miracle Mile knows how to mix a great one, with a subtle modern twist (I won't give it away).

Very few bartenders have been able to pull off this drink with any ability and a few don't even know what one is.

August 2, 2010 at 10:37 am |
    • Kat Kinsman

I'm a huge fan of the Old Fashioned, and as a matter of fact, we're about to launch a classic cocktails series here on Eatocracy.

I've had my heart broken by bad Old Fashioneds so many times that I've had to decide that I can only order them at places with a bottle of rye behind the bar. They're great with bourbon, of course. Just seeing the bottle of rye assures me that the bar and I are on the same wavelength, cocktail-wise.

August 2, 2010 at 12:59 pm |
  7. badcyclist

Red hots in the 60s were disks, not hearts.

August 2, 2010 at 10:05 am |