Lunch lies! Dinner deceits! Tasty truths!
July 21st, 2010

On Monday, we asked one simple question: Did your parents tell you any food fibs to entice you to eat or skip any foods?

And good grief, did your parents tell you the darndest things. Yeah, it's out of love, but wow, Mom and Dad, are your pants are on fire!

We've amassed a few of the over 500 food fallacies below, but first, a few mealtime myth busters.

Eating carrots does not give you night vision: During World War II, British Intelligence didn't want Germany to be aware of the newly developed radar technology assisting the Royal Air Force in shooting down enemy planes before they reached the English Channel. The government began planting stories in the papers, profiling an RAF pilot who credited his uncanny accuracy to his love of Vitamin A and beta carotene-containing carrots. Carrots are great for healthy eyesight, but won't make an avid chomper into a super-seer.

Eating too many carrots can turn you orange (or at least a muted yellow-orange color): Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, a highly pigmented compound. An extreme excess of carotene in the bloodstream will build up under your skin, causing an yellow-orange discoloration (mostly evident on the bottom of the feet and palm of the hands). To get rid of the harmless orange hue, just lay off the carrots and other orange vegetables (like sweet potatoes) for a bit.

Hot, spicy foods on a sweltering day will cool you down: Fiery foods raise your body temperature slightly, bringing heat to the skin's surface and causing you to sweat. This perspiration will ultimately cause your body to cool down by evaporative cooling (temperature reduction through the evaporation of water).

Spinach makes you strong, but not that strong: Spinach was originally selected as Popeye's power source because of a German study which mistakenly attributed the vegetable with ten times the iron it actually packs. When the mistake was corrected in 1937, Popeye had already been gorging on the stuff for years and it was too late to backtrack.

Chocolate doesn't cause acne: 1950s dermatology books made the claim that chocolate causes acne, asserting that because chocolate is rich in fat and sebum (oil), consuming chocolate would cause the sebaceous glands to be affected. No studies have been able to show any association between chocolate and acne. To the contrary, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition recently reported that the flavanoids (antioxidants) in dark chocolate may actually help regulate sebum production, thus helping with acne.

Gum doesn't stay in your stomach for seven years: It's true that gum is indigestible, but it passes through the body's waste system like any food would.

And on to the comments.

Do you know the ice cream man?

ScreamForIceCream
My parents told me when the ice cream man played his music, it meant he was out. You lie!

icecreamdancer
We tell our kids it is the dancing machine, and when we hear it go by everyone has to stop and dance – they are 2 and 6, sure it won't be long until they catch on!

Dulcie
When I was little, the ice cream man would come by on his tricycle, bells ringing. My mom told me he was the fish man – he sold fish out of the cooler on the front of his large tricycle. Worked like a charm until the day my Grandpa bought me an ice cream bar. I don't know that she ever forgave him for that.

Lydia
My favorite one, amongst many, was that the ice cream truck that frequented our neighborhood was full of ice cream that was expired from the grocery store.

Tastes like chicken

Kim H
I use to tell my son that salmon was "pink chicken" to get him to eat it.

sandra
"Try it, it's chicken": It was alligator. Followed by uproarious laughter from my mother.

Marcus
My mother told me one time that eating chicken wings would enable me to fly! She didn't say how many it took, but I gave up flapping my arms while jumping off curbs after about the third meal worth of chicken wings. I still don't like 'em.

Molly
... Anything meat-related that wasn't easily identifiable was "special chicken" (fish, calamari, liver, oysters)

Not so white lies

Dr. Jar
Coca-Cola will turn your eyes brown.

Michael G
My great-grandma used to tell me, "Coffee makes your eyes black."

Andrea
My parents used to tell me that eating rye bread would give me dark eyebrows.

xsoutherngal
My grandmother told us drinking coffee would make our toes turn black. To this day I still can't drink coffee, although I don't remember her toes being black.

The meat of the matter

Mr. T
Me: Why does Johnny's family eat steak all the time?
Dad: Well son, other families just can't afford to have their meat ground up the way we do.

Dr. Jar
Meat DOES NOT come from animals, it's grown on trees in Malaysia.

Tammy
My mom used to tell us that liver was dinosaur meat.

Roz
[My son] asked me "what's this?" when I gave him a a hamburger (something that was hit or miss for him eating). We had just been talking about his Jurassic Park T-shirt, so I said "a Velociraptor." A few minutes later, he said in awed tones "I can't believe I'm eating dinosaur."

I feel pretty, oh-so pretty

Carol
My mother always told us to eat bananas because they make you beautiful.

teresa
My grandmother swore that burnt toast would make you pretty.

Linda Lou
I always got, "eat the [bread] crust - it makes you pretty."

Next entry »
  1. Ann

My friends love liver and when they had kids they wanted them to eat it so they called it "foie de veau". That worked well and the kids ate liver for years until their youngest daughter came home from french class and announced to her older brother that "foie de veau" meant liver. On that day both kids stopped eating liver forever.

July 21, 2010 at 3:51 pm |
  2. Stephen

My dad told my brother and I that Kielbasa was "Space Food". He took a capsule of Benedryl, dripped some water on it and put it in the microwave for 5 minutes (much longer than the attention span of a 4 year old, even for space food). When we walked away, he took out the pill and stuck in the Kielbasa. When the microwave beeped we came running in and thought the pill had turned into food!

July 21, 2010 at 3:45 pm |
    • Lenée

Hahahahahaha!!! That's a good one!

July 28, 2010 at 6:03 pm |
  3. Frankeed

People. These were not lies. We believed it was true.

July 21, 2010 at 3:43 pm |
  4. Rachel

My mom told me that if I ate it would make my breasts bigger. I never really believed it, but I did eat all my veggies just in case it was true.

July 21, 2010 at 3:42 pm |
    • Stephen

Did it work? ;) ;)

July 21, 2010 at 4:15 pm |
  5. Cait

Don't mix pop rocks and soda, your stomach will explode!
    I tempted fate...and it was delicious.

July 21, 2010 at 3:21 pm |
    • Lenée

I remember this HUGE scare in the late 70's, was it? Early 80's? All the playground kids were terrified!

July 28, 2010 at 6:02 pm |
  6. LIz

My Pop Pop told me that if you drink pickle juice, you'll grow hair on your chest........! I'm a girl and didn't want hair on my chest that's for sure!

July 21, 2010 at 3:15 pm |
  7. carlwillis

This article considers the lies parents tell children in order to get them to eat. However, Americans carry a pathological appetite for deceptive food into adulthood and drive a major market demand for "engineered" food products. Artificial flavors, textures, and colors dominate the average adult diet, and synthetic substitutes (Olestra, Quorn, margarine, etc.) designed to simulate the flavors and mouthfeels of traditional foods have become all but impossible to avoid. Adults love to pretend they are eating meat when they're not, sugar when they're not, fat when they're not. My children will be taught the truth: that Quorn is made from a vat-grown soil mold and is NOT "pork cutlets;" that margarine is made from synthetic oils produced by the petrochemical technique of catalytic hydrogenation or interesterification; and that the people who like to fool themselves with such products have immature eating habits.

July 21, 2010 at 2:35 pm |
    • VK

I absolutely agree that we as Americans need to reevaluate our foods and habits but there is something you miss. If we were to go back and eat the foods our grandparents told us lies about, we would be much better off. A kid is a kid and should have an imagination. Overwhelming them with chemicals and processes is a bit much. Restoring ethnic food is whats needed!

July 21, 2010 at 3:46 pm |
      • carlwillis

When I was a kid, I loved learning about the realities of food. For instance, how Fruit Loops are colored with azo dyes derived from coal tar. Now how nifty is that??! A filthy combustible black rock–basically ancient compost that has had the bejesus squeezed out of it for a few million years–is boiled to get the "juices" out, then baked into your Fruit Loops until they're bursting with technicolor deliciousness!

Tell that to your kid, and watch Junior suddenly find shredded wheat, rutabagas, and arugula to be more to his tastes.

No story a parent could make up would possibly compete with the entertaining reality of our modern diet! The next time Grandma bakes cookies with Splenda, don't miss the opportunity to teach Junior about organochlorides and how they sometimes taste really good and sometimes–just sometimes–come with nasty trace congeners like dioxins that will turn your body into a sack of knobby tumors faster than you can say "mmmm!" and smack your lips!

July 21, 2010 at 5:07 pm |
      • burndiscoi

carlwilllis... arent you just a happy person enjoying life or what.

July 25, 2010 at 12:38 am |
      • Lenée

I thought we were here to share fond, childhood food memories? Most involving our parent's humorous deception to get us to eat healthy foods. Doesn't mean we're NOT teaching our kids the dangers of consuming processed foods......talk about a buzz kill.....

July 28, 2010 at 5:38 pm |
    • Cait

Way to turn a lighthearted conversation into your own soap box of condemnation. Geez, what a joykill.
      Some of us americans were raised correctly. Margarine was a dirty word in my house, we only ate butter on our bread. We also cooked with a mess of veggies and fruits grown from our own garden. I think grocers are cycling back to fresh, organic food low on additives and such. So try and choose your words better than making generalizations.

July 21, 2010 at 3:51 pm |
      • carlwillis

A "joykill," huh? (Personally, I thought my addition was just as lighthearted and fluffy as all the rest of this mid-day palaver.)

Cait, if you're exempt from the generalizations I made in my critique of the "average" diet, then the scorn (such as it is) is not directed at you. It's actually that simple. So....at ease!

July 21, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
      • Lenée

carlwillis–most of us here are well aware of what you mention and do our best to avoid processed foods and maintain healthy diets for ourselves and families, that's WHY we're here. So I guess you're kind of "preaching to the choir." I'm sure there are more serious and appropriate threads here where you can show off your education regarding processed food. Your posts have very dark and negative connotations and some of us are here trying to have a good time. Your attempt at being "lighthearted and fluffy" failed miserably, hence the "joy kill" and "buzz kill" comments. You're probably loads of fun at a party, aren't you......

July 28, 2010 at 5:57 pm |
  8. Luciana

My Mom used to tell me that you couldn't mix mango and milk, because it'd make you very sick.

July 21, 2010 at 2:19 pm |
  9. Sugar

My mom had to come up with creative names to get my brother to eat foods because he was so picky. There was "hockey soup" (beef barley, named that because there was a hockey player on one of the bags and he loved the sport) and "twisted sister elastic supper, with baby buttered breadwiches" which was basically twirly noodles with sliced bread on the side. A "Mickey Mouse Sandwich" was a grilled cheese.. and so on. It was a lot of fun. We still call them that and it's 20+ years later.

July 21, 2010 at 2:12 pm |
  10. justakid

My Dad always told us that he had to WALK five miles, BOTH ways, UPHILL to school in the winter, carrying a hot potato from the oven to keep his hands warm as he walked and the the potato became his lunch. He also always told me how lucky I was to live in a land of plenty. He was right-I miss him <3

July 21, 2010 at 2:07 pm |
  11. Kat

It was no secret that I loved, envied even, my mother's curly hair as a child. I was quite the picky eater and absolutely hated bread crust, among many other foods. So she would tell me that she liked bread crust so much as a child that she would even eat the ends of a loaf and that was the reason for her curly hair. After so long of following her 'advice' and no noticeable change to my hair texture, I finally asked her why she told me that. Her mother used the same trick. Haha, my mother never thought to question my grandmother because her hair was always curly! I wonder how many generations back this information came about.

July 21, 2010 at 1:44 pm |
  12. Betty

I'm surprised that I don't see one of the classics – Milk makes you strong.. by making your bones stronger.

I've also used playful "reverse psychology along the lines of "you are not allowed to eat any vegatables! If you eat vegatables, then you'll grow more and I'll have to buy you another pair of new shoes / new pants!" works every time – even now when they are older and really know that I'm kidding... they will still "sneak" a veggie from the counter as I prepare them :)

July 21, 2010 at 1:42 pm |
  13. MrThou

Not trying to be inappropriate, but my mom used to forbid me from eating eggs leftover from the night before because they supposedly made your pen0r bigger.

July 21, 2010 at 1:40 pm |
  14. boyd jones

Cauliflower is just albino broccoli. Ha, hilarious.

July 21, 2010 at 1:37 pm |
  15. rhonda

when i was younger i would not eat eggs and the only way my mom could get me to start eating them was to tell me that they were special chicken eggs and from then on i loved eggs...

July 21, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
  16. kris

My grandmother used to tell us that bread crust makes your hair curly. Well I don't mind the crust of bread, and I have very wavy hair. (My mother always make me keep my hair short as a kid.) Everytime my grandmother comments on how I'm the only one in the family that doesnt have thin, straight hair we all laugh and say its because Im the only grandchild who ate the crust of my PB&J sandwiches as a kid! She still claims she never tol d us that...

July 21, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
  17. WI girl

My girlfriend convinced her twins that bagels were doughnuts; worked until their first sleepover when the REAL doughnuts were served...

July 21, 2010 at 1:31 pm |
  18. Keri

Any meat my middle daughter when she was little, didn't want to try i would tell her it was chicken since she loved chicken but the problem is now that she is 15 she knows that it is not but now she refers all meat as chicken like chicken is the word for meat...

but it worked she ate all meat since she thought it was always chicken... it go to the point when she was older if we were having pork or beef i would have to tell her it was Pig or Cow since she would always say chicken. we laugh about it all now..

July 21, 2010 at 1:17 pm |
  19. Mike in Florida

My Mom told me scores of food lies:
    1. Too much parm cheese on spaghetti will make worms inyour stomach.
    2. Adding chocolate syrup to milk kills all the vitamins in milk.
    3. Marashchino Cherries are perserved using formaldahyde and many more.

July 21, 2010 at 1:16 pm |
  20. Tracy

There was a figurine made in the 80's and it was a little girl with a harp sitting on a cresent moon. My grandma used to tell us that the moon would take us if we were bad. I believed it becuase of that figurine. She would place it where we could see it. And at night I always thought the Moon followed me.

July 21, 2010 at 1:16 pm |
  21. BrightBetty

I don't know why people lie to their kids about food-or anything for that matter. We don't lie. My daughter is 5. She's allowed not to like something, but she has to try it first. She knows that there are good foods and bad foods, and she knows whats in them and how they help her body. We grow our own garden that she helps with, and this had led to one great thing-I have a great eater, but she IS allowed junk food as well. The only thing she does not touch is soda, and thats partly me and partly her. She doesn't like the carbonation, and I don't really want her to have it any how!

July 21, 2010 at 1:14 pm |
    • JR

...and then you have the second non-cooperative one. Or the third...

People get tired. One is easy. Did the same thing with the first. Then the first one corrupts or mocks the second one. All it takes is one 'ewwwwwwwwwww' and the whole thing can be shot. That and the older one brining home contraband. Or that birthday party...

I used to have it all together. Then I gave birth again. LOL

July 25, 2010 at 12:27 am |
  22. Melissa

My dad used to tell me and my brother two different stories for brussle sprouts. For my brother it was that if he ate them he'd grow hair on his chest. For me, I'd grow large breasts. I ate them when ever I could when I was younger. Now I can't stand them. I ate so many of them I got sick of them.

July 21, 2010 at 1:10 pm |
  23. Jason

I am from Indiana, and when I was young I would not eat broasted potato wedges until my mother told me that the Indiana Hoosiers basketball team ate them before games. Subsequently, I tried them, loved them, and still do. That was 20 years ago, and to this day, broasted potato wedges are called "Hoosier Fries."

July 21, 2010 at 1:05 pm |
  24. Lindsay

My parents didn't give me sugar as a kid – never had it until I went to school and that busted everything. They had me convinced that broccoli was a dessert! Also, I loved artichokes as a child, but didn't find out about the heart until I was a teenager! My parents would just tell us that all of the leaves were gone, so go play, keeping the best part for themselves!

July 21, 2010 at 1:04 pm |
    • Raed

My son goes to great lengths to protect the heart of the artichoke. People laugh when he begs for fresh artichokes at the market. He is a 4 year old who knows the good stuff!

July 21, 2010 at 1:53 pm |
    • dance5678

That's so good. I wish that my parents did that for me so that I would actually like eating healthy. I eat healthy for the most part, but I definetly know that broccoli is NOT desert. haha.

July 21, 2010 at 11:16 pm |
  25. NoSpecialSpices

Ma told us the really small pieces from a certain fried chicken franchise were actually pigeons from the park. Eyuuu

July 21, 2010 at 1:01 pm |
  26. Dan

When I was a kid I would have meltdowns about what was being served for dinner (as an adult I've learned that I don't hate food, I just hated my parent's food), even if I didn't really know what it was my mom was describing (I guess my instinct was that if it wasn't something obvious like hamburgers or hot dogs that it would suuuuck). One dish that I apparently loved was seasoned ground beef with elbows – though I would have a fit when my mom would describe this as what we were having. Her assurances that I actually loved the dish she was describing fell on deaf ears, so she decided to name the dish "Harry", so I would always remember it. She also made a Greek-ish version with cinnamon, oregano and nutmeg seasoning, which she called, you guessed it, "Aristotle". 35 years later and my whole family still calls these dishes by their "mom name". Man, for an only child whose parents never hugged her or told her they loved her (and in fact told her she was an only child b/c she turned out to be too much trouble to handle any others), she had some mad instincts and skillz as a mom. Man, I miss that broad, she was one in a million.

July 21, 2010 at 1:01 pm |
    • Tracy

Hi Dan. I got to say I love your story. I think it's awesome that you noticed that about your mom (being an only-child). I am an only child myself and I think I have the same characteristics. I'm sure you were a great son!

July 21, 2010 at 1:45 pm |
    • Raed

Ohhh that is so sweet. Love the story.

July 21, 2010 at 1:49 pm |
  27. deathbychocolate

My wifes grandmother tells the whole family that they will die or get really sick if they eat chocolate in the dark, especially in movie theaters.

July 21, 2010 at 12:59 pm |
  28. ash

lol my mom used to tell me to eat my peas and beans cuz its would make my hair grow long and beautiful i only didnt figure it out till like 5 years ago and im 22 hahaha sly but hey it worked cuz i ate those veggies and my moms frind used to etlls us if we licked our lips too much thery'd fall off...lol chapped lips

July 21, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
  29. John

My grandmother would occasionally fix breakfast as the evening meal. One night she gave me some scrambled eggs and told me they looked different because she was using a new recipe that called for using flour in the eggs. About a week later she told me the "eggs" were actually beef brains!

July 21, 2010 at 12:54 pm |
  30. Mightaswellbe

For some reason I decided early on that sweet potatoes were not something I wanted to eat unless they were done with the marshmallows and brown sugar trick. So I am back home for thanksgiving after joining the navy and was complimenting my mother on her wonderfull punkin' pie and how it was the greatest punkin' pie she had ever made. she looked me straight in the eye and said "I haven't made a punkin' pie in twenty years son". Turns out all those punkin' pies had been sweet Patato pies. Ya know, sweet pataoes arn't that bad after all!

July 21, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
  31. elliepants

My mother used to tell me that if I ate raw cookie dough, the mother hens who had laid the eggs in it would come after me. We lived next to my grandparents' farm – this was a viable threat!

July 21, 2010 at 12:47 pm |
  32. Jenna

My 5-year-old believes that McDonald's hamburgers are made of "butt meat" and that their playgrounds are covered in herpes (my husbands universal word for germs). Fun until he announces to a room full of people that he doesn't have herpes.

July 21, 2010 at 12:45 pm |
    • Raed

I tell my son that raccoons poo on the playgrounds and the food is "vacant food". I don't know if this counts as a lie though.

July 21, 2010 at 3:38 pm |
    • Lenée

LOL!!!!! "From the mouths of babes....." Too, too, funny!

July 28, 2010 at 5:23 pm |
  33. danielle a

My mom used to tell us that venison was "grama's special meat". Years later she told us what it really was when we saw Grampa's deer hanging in the garage after hunting. I do the same thing to my daughter when I tell her that lamb chops are baby pork chops

July 21, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  34. Bob

I knew that whole gum-stays-seven-years thing didn't sound right. I just always figured if my stomach acid could disolve tough steaks, how could gum last long?

July 21, 2010 at 12:44 pm |
  35. MoobieMoo

We where told eating raw potatoes would give you worms.. and for wahtever reason, zuchini bread was called squid bread – maybe the adults didnt want to share with us kids, but to this day I call it squid bread and its delicious!

July 21, 2010 at 12:26 pm |
  36. Jen

I was told that I would be able to whistle if I ate my bread crusts. Not True!!! I still can't whistle.

July 21, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
  37. Curly Hair

My grandmother would always tell me that if I ate the crust of my bread it would make my hair curly.

July 21, 2010 at 12:17 pm |
    • Cam

My sister said that too! It didn't work for me though.

July 22, 2010 at 12:40 am |
  38. Michelle

My dad told my little brother that eating burnt toast would put hair on his chest. It scared me from eating it!

July 21, 2010 at 12:16 pm |
  39. Susan

My mom got my brother to eat liver once by telling him they were 'little steaks'.

July 21, 2010 at 12:14 pm |
  40. Finch

The girl next door to me in the dorm told us to soak our boobs in dishwater to make them grow. I never tried it because I was afraid that laying face down in it would drown me.

July 21, 2010 at 12:12 pm |
  41. Straight Haired Woman

My parents always told me that eating carrots would make my hair curly. I've been eating carrots for over 60 years, but it still hasn't worked!

July 21, 2010 at 12:11 pm |
  42. Katie W

My grandaughters first grade teacher told her that eating the crust of her bread (something she would not do) would give her curly hair (something she did not have). It worked, she eats the crust and talks about how her hair is curling more every day (It's not). Go figure.

July 21, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
  43. smasheduprr

I love how they bring up Popeye eating spinach for iron and go on to say they miscalculated the amount of iron in spinach in an old study, but they don't mention that iron really doesn't make any sense in the context of strength (iron is used by red blood cells to help transport oxygen, it doesn't build muscle). Also, a healthy male who isn't bleeding all over the place shouldn't need to boost their iron level willy nilly because the body has no good way of getting rid of iron and iron overdoses are common. In fact men who have some baseline level of nutrition probably shouldn't worry about iron at all! I get it's a cartoon but when bringing it up in the context of nutrition myths and dragging it into the real world, why would you neglect this?

July 21, 2010 at 12:02 pm |
    • Bluto

Beats me.

July 21, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
    • chris

There are actually studies that suggest that men who donate blood regularly (thus getting rid of excess iron) have lower rates of heart disease.

July 21, 2010 at 2:25 pm |
  44. MOBADTHANGOOD

Watermelon seeds would grow in your stomach.
    Boiled Okra is good. (blech)still looks like runny baby snot.
    Rutabagas are good for you. Still never figured out what a rutabaga was.
    Water from the bathroom faucet tastes different than the kithchen faucet.
    My dad told me I would go blind if I didn't stop.

July 21, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
  45. Chris

what about the old story that cherries and milk are poisonous when mixed?

July 21, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
    • Gretchen

Chris, there was a President who only lived for approximately a month after he ate cherries and drank cold buttermilk at the same time. I can't remember his name, though.

July 21, 2010 at 6:13 pm |
  46. Bubba

Old Mert down at the bait store was complainin' about not bein' able to 'cut the mustard,' if ya know what I mean (this was before little blue pills), and the waitress at the truck stop told him eatin' bread was the best thing for it. He thought she was jokin,' but she winked and told him it was a sure thing. He immediately went down to the IGA and bought three loaves of bread. The checkout girl told him "It'll be hard before you finish it all," and he yelled "Dangit, does EVERYBODY know about this but me?"

July 21, 2010 at 12:01 pm |
    • Raed

lmao!

July 21, 2010 at 3:36 pm |
  47. Finch

Bananas

My aunt ofered me a piece of banana cake, but she called it "bug leg cake." I like bananas, but I can't eat them mushed up in anything.

July 21, 2010 at 12:00 pm |
  48. Joe Griffin

Nice to know you all had food as a kid. We starved. I remember stealing a bag of rice from a Publix once and knocking on neighbors doors asking for bread, We would ride our bikes around the neighborhood to look for soda bottles to exchange for a nickel to buy food.

July 21, 2010 at 11:56 am |
    • Bubba

Damn, that's rough. Parents underemployed?

July 21, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
    • John Galt

You just made me LOL.

July 21, 2010 at 5:45 pm |
    • Ophelia

Your parents could afford bikes, but not food??

July 22, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
      • Lenée

Right!

July 28, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
    • Lenée

Poor you..... What's your point?

July 28, 2010 at 5:15 pm |
  49. kid

geez, my mom always gave me the active vitamin, ingredient, mineral, and chemical compound and structure... i learned more about the molecules in my food than i ever wanted to know... sucks having a biochemist for a mom sometimes... she also would go on and explain in great detail what would happen if you over eat something, then pull out the medical books and point out some of the obese people... that worked on a 4 year... I always ate my veggies (but then again, I've always liked vegetables, beets are AWESOME!)

July 21, 2010 at 11:52 am |
  50. Deb

Shortly after returning to the States after living in Japan for three years, I was cutting up a cantaloupe and my 3 daughters wanted to know what it was. The oldest was 5 and they had never seen a cantaloupe because all melons were too expensive in Japan and I hadn't bought one in 3 years. I told them it was alien brain. I guess I didn't want to share since I was pregnant and was really craving it. To this day, my kids, who are now teenagers, call cantaloupe alien brain and they all love it as much as I do.

July 21, 2010 at 11:47 am |