Lunch lies! Dinner deceits! Tasty truths!
July 21st, 2010

On Monday, we asked one simple question: Did your parents tell you any food fibs to entice you to eat or skip any foods?

And good grief, did your parents tell you the darndest things. Yeah, it's out of love, but wow, Mom and Dad, are your pants are on fire!

We've amassed a few of the over 500 food fallacies below, but first, a few mealtime myth busters.

Eating carrots does not give you night vision: During World War II, British Intelligence didn't want Germany to be aware of the newly developed radar technology assisting the Royal Air Force in shooting down enemy planes before they reached the English Channel. The government began planting stories in the papers, profiling an RAF pilot who credited his uncanny accuracy to his love of Vitamin A and beta carotene-containing carrots. Carrots are great for healthy eyesight, but won't make an avid chomper into a super-seer.

Eating too many carrots can turn you orange (or at least a muted yellow-orange color): Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, a highly pigmented compound. An extreme excess of carotene in the bloodstream will build up under your skin, causing an yellow-orange discoloration (mostly evident on the bottom of the feet and palm of the hands). To get rid of the harmless orange hue, just lay off the carrots and other orange vegetables (like sweet potatoes) for a bit.

Spinach makes you strong, but not that strong: Spinach was originally selected as Popeye's power source because of a German study which mistakenly attributed the vegetable with ten times the iron it actually packs. When the mistake was corrected in 1937, Popeye had already been gorging on the stuff for years and it was too late to backtrack.

Chocolate doesn't cause acne: 1950s dermatology books made the claim that chocolate causes acne, asserting that because chocolate is rich in fat and sebum (oil), consuming chocolate would cause the sebaceous glands to be affected. No studies have been able to show any association between chocolate and acne. To the contrary, the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition recently reported that the flavanoids (antioxidants) in dark chocolate may actually help regulate sebum production, thus helping with acne.

Gum doesn't stay in your stomach for seven years: It's true that gum is indigestible, but it passes through the body's waste system like any food would.

And on to the comments.

Do you know the ice cream man?

ScreamForIceCream
My parents told me when the ice cream man played his music, it meant he was out. You lie!

icecreamdancer
We tell our kids it is the dancing machine, and when we hear it go by everyone has to stop and dance – they are 2 and 6, sure it won't be long until they catch on!

Dulcie
When I was little, the ice cream man would come by on his tricycle, bells ringing. My mom told me he was the fish man – he sold fish out of the cooler on the front of his large tricycle. Worked like a charm until the day my Grandpa bought me an ice cream bar. I don't know that she ever forgave him for that.

Lydia
My favorite one, amongst many, was that the ice cream truck that frequented our neighborhood was full of ice cream that was expired from the grocery store.

Tastes like chicken

Kim H
I use to tell my son that salmon was "pink chicken" to get him to eat it.

sandra
"Try it, it's chicken": It was alligator. Followed by uproarious laughter from my mother.

Marcus
My mother told me one time that eating chicken wings would enable me to fly! She didn't say how many it took, but I gave up flapping my arms while jumping off curbs after about the third meal worth of chicken wings. I still don't like 'em.

Molly
... Anything meat-related that wasn't easily identifiable was "special chicken" (fish, calamari, liver, oysters)

Not so white lies

Dr. Jar
Coca-Cola will turn your eyes brown.

Michael G
My great-grandma used to tell me, "Coffee makes your eyes black."

Andrea
My parents used to tell me that eating rye bread would give me dark eyebrows.

xsoutherngal
My grandmother told us drinking coffee would make our toes turn black. To this day I still can't drink coffee, although I don't remember her toes being black.

The meat of the matter

Mr. T
Me: Why does Johnny's family eat steak all the time?
Dad: Well son, other families just can't afford to have their meat ground up the way we do.

Dr. Jar
Meat DOES NOT come from animals, it's grown on trees in Malaysia.

Tammy
My mom used to tell us that liver was dinosaur meat.

Roz
[My son] asked me "what's this?" when I gave him a a hamburger (something that was hit or miss for him eating). We had just been talking about his Jurassic Park T-shirt, so I said "a Velociraptor." A few minutes later, he said in awed tones "I can't believe I'm eating dinosaur."

I feel pretty, oh-so pretty

Carol
My mother always told us to eat bananas because they make you beautiful.

teresa
My grandmother swore that burnt toast would make you pretty.

Linda Lou
I always got, "eat the [bread] crust - it makes you pretty."

Next entry »
  1. K Mazz

We need to be careful what we tell our kids. It stays for life. As an example, What is the moon made out of?

July 21, 2010 at 11:43 am |
    • Buster Bloodvessel

Basalt and feldspar?

July 21, 2010 at 12:03 pm |
  2. BB88

To avoid my children to drink soda, I always tell them Cok/7up are Mommy's milk, teast bitter.

July 21, 2010 at 11:42 am |
  3. Mitia01

My grandma used to tell me that if we wanted big boobs like her, we had to eat a lot of mashed potatoes. To this day I still love them. LOL

July 21, 2010 at 11:36 am |
    • curious

Just wondering if it worked?

July 21, 2010 at 12:51 pm |
      • Mitia01

I guess it did. Though I blame that on her genes now.

July 21, 2010 at 3:41 pm |
  4. serene.night.1@gmail.com

Hmm.:

Mom said eating the crusts of bread would make your hair curl.

July 21, 2010 at 11:34 am |
    • Mitia01

Mine too!

July 21, 2010 at 11:36 am |
    • Cheryl

Mom always said crust was where all the vitamins were.

July 21, 2010 at 11:39 am |
  5. Marie

I used to tell my son that squash was just mashed carrots (he liked carrots!), but he finally learned the trick, and it no longer worked to get him to eat squash. Either that or his brother told him the secret.

July 21, 2010 at 11:30 am |
  6. MusicTruck

My wife and I told our sons that the ice cream truck was the music truck. It worked for years. As they got older we got humorous questions like, "Why does the music truck have pictures of ice cream on it?" The beautiful lie was finally laid to rest when they saw the neighbor kids buying ice cream from the music truck. The boys are now 6 and 8 and we all still laugh about the Music Truck when we hear the siren song echoing through the neighborhood.

July 21, 2010 at 11:28 am |
  7. Carolyn

My mother would tell me that if I ate candy before noon I would get worms.

July 21, 2010 at 11:25 am |
  8. Wzrd1

I remember the spinach myth and most of the others listed.
    Funny thing not mentioned in the article, spinach IS moderately high in iron, just not absorbable iron. About a good a source of dietary iron as a girder. But it IS good fiber and has nice trace minerals.
    I still love it. Used to tell the kids they'd be strong as popeye. During the summer, I'd come in from work and after they ate their spinach, they'd use the extra strength to "toss' me into the pool.
    Eventually, our kids learned my trick with the myths. Look them up for validity. THEN, I taught them the importance of balance and at least TRYING different foods (although the fried frog legs were "chicken", as was the rabbit at first).
    Hence, when one day they came in from school and I had gotten in early from work, I was making duck soup from the head, neck and feet. The kids, after their initial reaction of having the soup look back at them when they went to sneak a peek, ate the 3 gallons of soup that night! No leftovers, to my mixed chagrin and pleasure.
    And yes, I discarded the head and feet. Our cats LOVED me that night.

July 21, 2010 at 11:22 am |
  9. Person

I actually did get patches of orange on my skin as a child. Good times...

July 21, 2010 at 11:16 am |
  10. J.M. Pelland

My fiance was always told "If you eat the bread ends, you'll be lonely for the rest of your life!" and so she never did. I guess I can't really prove it wrong, though, can I?

July 21, 2010 at 11:15 am |
  11. Patrick

My grandmother made czarnina, which is a Polish soup made from duck's blood, prunes, raisins and who knows what else? I refused to try it, and didn't fall for it when they told me it was "chocolate soup". Czarne is the Polish word for black, and the soup does have a very dark hue, hence the name czarnina. Incidentally "cz" in Polish is pronounced like "ch" in English.

July 21, 2010 at 11:13 am |
    • Gotta love parents

That sounds gross. I can't say i don't blame you for not wanting to eat it.

July 21, 2010 at 11:20 am |
  12. Sanane

My mother told my sister and me that eating leek would make our hair grow faster. I still think about it when i look at leeks!

July 21, 2010 at 10:57 am |
  13. yukonmukon

My father used to say Brussels sprouts would grow hair on my chest, and so I ate them like a maniac. Why this was such a compelling incentive to an 8-year-old, I have no idea.

July 21, 2010 at 10:48 am |
  14. Nancy

I remember my 2nd cousin's parents telling them that the only really good part of a lobster was the tiny legs on the side. I think they weren't too pleased with me when I reveled the truth.

July 21, 2010 at 10:46 am |
  15. Rray

At bed time when I was resisting sleep, my mom used to tell me to close my eyes so that sleep can't get in there!!!!!

July 21, 2010 at 10:43 am |
    • kid

hands down the best fib from a parent!

July 21, 2010 at 11:55 am |
    • Gina

that. is. amazing. I am ABSOLUTELY using that the next time my daughter can't sleep!

July 24, 2010 at 11:57 pm |
  16. Becca

I got the watermelon seeds will grow a melon in your belly line a few times, too. I also heard that bread crusts will make your hair curly and that cow tongue was a special steak.

July 21, 2010 at 10:40 am |
  17. Nancy

My grandmother always told me that eating raw bread dough would make my stomach explode. That did NOT keep me from stealing a rising dinner roll every time she made a batch.

July 21, 2010 at 10:34 am |
  18. R

My father told me if I ate tomatoes they would turn my hair green. 36 years later- still haven't eaten them!

July 21, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  19. Bex

Asparagus makes you run faster.

July 21, 2010 at 10:32 am |
  20. jeff

My Dad used to tell me that the pimento in the middle of an olive was a cat tongue!

July 21, 2010 at 10:28 am |
    • Carol

Okay, Jeff, this is the officially the worst thing I've read on this page, but I'm laughing my butt off!

July 21, 2010 at 12:05 pm |
      • jeff

Carol – the funny thing is that I'm not sure what he was hoping to accomplish by telling me this. We both liked olives and it certainly didn't stop me from eating them (but I did wonder why the tongues were soft and not "sandpapery" like a real cat's tongue).

July 21, 2010 at 3:48 pm |
  21. Pat

I told my kids I was allergic to peas when I just didn't like them. They both love peas. Mission accomplished.

July 21, 2010 at 10:26 am |
  22. Kassie

My grandpa always told me that bread crust would make hair grow on my chest. I've never been a fan of bread crust, and I'm certain this didn't help matters, lol.

July 21, 2010 at 10:20 am |
    • Jeff

We used to here that it was Horseradish that grew hair on your chest. :-)

July 21, 2010 at 12:49 pm |
  23. Jean L

My Grandmother would make me drink the fish oil from canned fish. Told me it was brain food. ALso she would tell me that if you swolled the pit from cherries, you would grown a Cherry tree from you tummy.

July 21, 2010 at 10:20 am |
  24. cMason

I will rat this one out on myself. When we would go to places with milk from a bag, I told my kids (then about 3 and 4) that there was a cow on the roof and you were milking it, when you lifted the handle. Sometimes I even made a moo sound when I lifted up the handle.

July 21, 2010 at 10:14 am |
  25. J

My dad always told me that eating bread crust makes your hair curly, so we always cut it off our PB&J.

July 21, 2010 at 10:13 am |
    • Amanda

My grandmother – and subsequently my mother – told me the same thing to GET me to eat the crust. I have stick-straight hair and always wanted curly hair!

July 21, 2010 at 11:34 am |
  26. jamie

My Mom told me that eating raw cookie dough would give me worms.

July 21, 2010 at 10:04 am |
    • AprilLeroy

I was told the same thing when eating raw spaghetti.

July 21, 2010 at 10:33 am |
    • Deb

A friend of mine is in med school and read about a couple of cases of parasites being ingested via raw cookie dough, and the patient in one case was sick for over a decade. My mom told me a lot of these myths, but it turns out that the cookie dough one is true!

July 21, 2010 at 12:20 pm |
  27. Mike B

Coffee will stunt your growth...works well as long as the child does NOT want to be a jockey...

July 21, 2010 at 10:04 am |
    • Anna

It's funny, I tried to drink lots of coke when I was younger because I wanted to be a jockey!

July 21, 2010 at 11:36 am |
    • Raed

This is the exact one I tell my 4 year old who is obsessed with being "big". I tell him I have finished growing so I can drink coffee. He can't drink coffee because he still has so much more growing to do.

July 21, 2010 at 1:02 pm |
    • Rachael

I was told the same thing, and drank the coffee any way ... am a nearly 6 foot tall woman!

July 21, 2010 at 1:33 pm |
  28. Tay

MilkDuds because they'll 'rip your fillings out'... I'm sure it's possible & it kept me from eating milk duds for a long time... BUT I caved, love em'!

July 21, 2010 at 10:00 am |
    • AprilLeroy

Your MilkDuds comment brought up a memory – In 5th grade, a fellow student filled his mouth with MilkDuds. He pulled the mass of candy out of his mouth and then picked out 5 teeth. Shocking when you're 10.

July 21, 2010 at 10:31 am |
      • Mariska

lol gross!

July 21, 2010 at 6:16 pm |
    • Ken

Tay, I actually had a filling removed by a Sugar Daddy. I guess the Milk Dud warning isn't that far-fetched.

July 21, 2010 at 1:29 pm |
    • Lori

Someone shared their milkduds at a movie once with me. It actually pulled out a crown, which i swallowed before i realized what it was. The thought of a porcelain crown making its way through my digestive system freaked me out all week! So yeah, beware of milkduds if you have fillings.

July 21, 2010 at 9:14 pm |
      • Julia

A big hunk cracked one of my teeth. Thank goodness for microwaves...big hunks and abbazabas don't have to be hard anymore.

July 24, 2010 at 11:46 pm |
  29. Johnny_Patriot

My grandmother always said that eating collard green (dollars) and black eyed peas (change) on new years would bring you wealth. The more you ate, the more you would make...I ate 5 times as much as everybody else, and look how broke I am...

July 21, 2010 at 9:57 am |
    • Bill

Yeah, that's well known in the south. I grew up in Texas, and we ate collard greens and black eyed peas every New Year's day. Don't forget the chow chow!

July 25, 2010 at 12:03 am |
  30. EL

it didn't come from my parents, yet it was a well known fact in kindergarten that if you ate the burned part of the bread, you would never be scared of the dogs! :)

July 21, 2010 at 9:51 am |
    • FlamingoGal

My mother told me that the burnt toast was better for me because it contained carbon that helped digestion. Also, was instructed that the crusts would give me curly hair.

July 22, 2010 at 12:48 am |
  31. unknonw

This debunking of the carrot myth has been floating around for a while. Someone seriously needs to pick up a science book here. The rods in your eyes benefit greatly from carrots. The recharge rate is increased allowing you to recover from flash dazzling much quicker than if you had lower betacarotine levels. Alton Brown actually does a good job at explaining how this works on one of his shows.

Easy enuf experiment... Add 2 carrots to your daily diet for 2 weeks. You will see the difference.

July 21, 2010 at 9:46 am |
    • MACT

I am not sure I would use a chef as my primary authority. While it is true that adding carrots may help people with vitamin A deficiency (almost unheard of in developed countries) there is no evidence that it improves functioning in otherwise healthyindividuals

July 21, 2010 at 10:19 am |
      • Jesse

I may not be a fan of alton brown, but his show has good researchers and they give good facts and present alot of the science.

July 21, 2010 at 11:49 am |
    • Mightaswellbe

I think the myth that needed debunking was that carrots would give you extraodinary eyesight. There is no argument that carrots will improve some aspects of eyesight as you and Alton point out. It just won't give cat like night vision which was what the British were trying to make the germans believe back in WW2.

One trick to seeing at night is not to focus on what you are trying to see because the fovia in your eye is saturated with color receptors and they don't see well in low light conditions so the trick is to look off to the side of what you want to see so the focus of the image falls on the black-n-white receptors just outside of the fovia. Naval aircrew observer traing taught us this, does that make me "Trained Observer"?

July 21, 2010 at 10:31 am |
  32. The_Mick

Funny how a mental image can change the taste of food. In high school during varsity club initiation, we new sports letter winners were shown platefuls of earth worms, then blindfolded and told to eat. Unseen by us, the worms were replaced with cooked spaghetti noodles but that didn't save us from agony as we chewed away, trying not to swallow the worms!

July 21, 2010 at 9:46 am |
  33. Lori

My uncle used to tell me that if I ate my peas (which I hated) that I would grow up to be Miss America. Boy, was he wrong!

July 21, 2010 at 9:42 am |
  34. Milaka

I can attest to the fact that eating too many carrots can turn you orange. When my son was about 9 month old, he decided that he would only eat orange baby food – carrots, sweet potatoes, squash, etc. I could sneak in a little bit of green here or there, but it was mostly orange. I had a friend call me up because she was concerned that he had jaundice! We had just been to the pediatrician for his 9 month well-check so I knew he was fine. He just liked carrots! The doc wasn't concerned, so I wasn't either. I have a great picture of him around this time next to his sister. He looks Photoshopped!

July 21, 2010 at 9:40 am |
    • edgardo

yeah, when my four year old was a baby she loved the baby food carrots for a while. when you look at certain pictures you can see that her little nose was orange.

July 21, 2010 at 10:37 am |
    • Maggie

Exactly the same thing happened to me with my first child! The pediatrician just laughed and said that when he started liking other vegetables besides the orange ones, it would subside. It was mostly concentrated in his nose, palms and feet.

July 21, 2010 at 12:45 pm |
    • Ellen

Yeah, our pediatrician told us our son had a veggie tan...

July 21, 2010 at 4:29 pm |
  35. Tara

"If you swallow your gum you'll fart bubbles"

Which actually backfired because that sounds pretty cool to a six year old

July 21, 2010 at 9:39 am |
    • lol

hilarious..i'm gonna use that one around a lot..thanx

July 21, 2010 at 10:41 am |
    • Ally

That's funny!!!

July 21, 2010 at 10:53 am |
    • Lenée

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!

July 28, 2010 at 4:58 pm |
  36. Iain

I had a hankering for liver and onions so I asked my 4 yr old what he wanted for supper and he said hippopotamous, so that's what we got. Baby beef hippo that is. You should have seen the look on that ladies face when he asked me 'Dad can we have hippopotamous again?' and I grabbed liver!

July 21, 2010 at 9:38 am |
    • Lindsey

My aunt hated liver as a kid, but the rest of the family liked it, so my grandma started calling it "bushka," and my aunt, thinking it was a new dish, ate it for years until my mom got mad and told her what it was. She never ate it again.

July 21, 2010 at 10:23 am |
  37. R.C.

My dad used to make us omelets, but called them circus eggs so we would eat them.

July 21, 2010 at 9:35 am |
  38. The_Mick

"- Hot, spicy foods on a sweltering day will cool you down: Fiery foods raise your body temperature slightly, bringing heat to the skin's surface and causing you to sweat. This perspiration will ultimately cause your body to cool down by evaporative cooling (temperature reduction through the evaporation of water)." +++++ This makes little sense: the only reason it brings "heat to the skin's surface" is that your body is hotter. Tthe extra cooling down is only because you have extra heat to begin with. If you are already sweating from the heat, hot, spicy foods are simply going to raise your body temperature.

July 21, 2010 at 9:31 am |
    • Michelle

See, I had always heard this one as "drinking hot tea on a summer day will cool you down." I think the idea is that one is hot, but not sweating yet. But since hot and cold are relative concepts, one might actually feel cooler without actually beng cooler from a temperature sense.

July 21, 2010 at 9:36 am |
    • Johnny_Patriot

I'd prefer a shady tree.

July 21, 2010 at 9:58 am |
    • B

so it's just coincidental that foods in the tropic and sub-tropic regions around the world happen to be the spiciest foods in general? thailand and india are both very well known for their boring, flavorless, non-fiery foods afterall

July 21, 2010 at 10:38 am |
      • Naomi

No, it's not a coincidence. Spices help preserve food from spoiling, so of course they use more spices in hotter environments.

July 21, 2010 at 11:00 am |
      • Texas Pete

You know that peppers grow best in hot environments right?

July 21, 2010 at 11:31 am |
      • Hmm True

I agree with B. Climate must have something to do with it. One of my best friends is Indian and her parents are big tea drinkers, especially in the summer because, like the article states, I guess drinking a hot beverage or eating spicy foods makes you sweat and cool yourself down. Pretty interesting to think about...how people have adapted to suit their body's needs in different areas of the world. :)

July 21, 2010 at 11:40 pm |
      • ringo

True, tea is made with *boiled* water. In india and asia, much better to boil the water you'll be drinking – trust me.

July 22, 2010 at 2:40 am |
    • VI

Actually, even though eating spicy foods does raise your temperature a bit, they also cause increased bloodflow in your skin, transfering the heat from your core, where it not only can be radiated off, but increases your sweat production, thus bringin additional cooling power to the table.

July 21, 2010 at 10:42 am |
    • maria

i guess if you havent been sweating yet eating/drinking things to make you sweat would cool you down through the evaporation of the sweat (how we cool down as humans)-unless its super humid, then nothing but fans seem to help! but true also about the tea. in the deserts in africa and the middle east people often drink hot teas when they're outside in the hot day time. i'm not sure HOW much this exactly helps, but people must do it for a reason. :)

July 21, 2010 at 10:52 am |
    • Jesse

Actually if you raise the temperature nature atempts to remove the heat to create equilibrium. Your body sweats to speed this up. Alcohol is better because it causes vasodialation, and the veins close to the surface wick the heat away like a heat sink. I have a problem with the so called myth of carrots turning you orange, because the author goes on to actually prove them true. And the popeye one spinach was added to the cartoon during war time as a way to promote spinach for replacing meat as a source of iron, because of meat rationing. It wasn't about flawed studies it was about necessity. You know that mother of invention.

July 21, 2010 at 11:45 am |
  39. Elisa

My mom told me that if you eat watermelon or bananas at night would make you ill

July 21, 2010 at 9:30 am |
  40. Sue

My grandfather used to tell me to eat my corn because it would put hair on my chest (not something to tell an 8 year old girl!)!

July 21, 2010 at 9:29 am |
    • lol

very funny

July 21, 2010 at 10:42 am |
    • Steve

He just wanted the extra corn for himself. ;)

July 21, 2010 at 11:14 am |
    • Lenée

My Dad used to always say that! "It'll put hair on your chest!" My sister and I would always reply with very hearty ewwwe's! And my little brother, the little tank and bottomless pit of the family would sit back and giggle knowing it just meant more food for him!

July 28, 2010 at 4:53 pm |
  41. cobbereric

"Eating your bread crust helps you learn how to whistle"

July 21, 2010 at 9:27 am |
  42. MARK

I agree with Carol. There is nothing more beautiful than a woman eating a banana!

July 21, 2010 at 9:26 am |
  43. Kagai Macharia

This is humourous

July 21, 2010 at 9:22 am |
  44. Steve

Upon giving candy to a young girl for her birthday my dad said "Candy's dandy but liquor's quicker." He was right.

July 21, 2010 at 9:22 am |
    • Lauren

That is a famous poem by Ogden Nash!

July 21, 2010 at 9:45 am |
  45. Kate

My great-grandmother used to tell me to eat the crust on my bread because it would make my hair curly like Shirley Temple. My Dad would then always ask, 'who wants to look like Shirley Temple??'

July 21, 2010 at 9:22 am |
    • RixLax

To us, eating the crust would give you rosy cheeks!

July 21, 2010 at 10:36 am |
      • jmcdub

ha! My great-grandma always told me the same thing! What's funny about that is that, while I was too young to realize it at the time, I already had rosy cheeks–still do.

July 21, 2010 at 11:55 am |
    • madison

my mom would say the same - bread crust makes curly hair. I was old enough to say "But mom, I dont want curly hair like you" hahaha. But now, I love eating crust!

July 21, 2010 at 11:04 am |
    • Bryan

I was told if I ate the crust on bread I would be strong like Batman.. oh the lies they tell us

July 21, 2010 at 11:09 am |
    • Breanne

My dad used to tell us if we ate the crust we would have curley hair too. My sister refused to eat her crust but I always ate mine.

July 21, 2010 at 11:15 am |
      • charlee45

thats hilarious, because when my mom told my sister and I to eat bread crust because it would make our hair curly, my sister would devour it and I would still cut mine off. A few years later, my hair became so curly it's not even funny! hers- straight as ever.

July 21, 2010 at 11:41 am |
    • Bill

Eating the crust of the bread would help me whistle.

July 21, 2010 at 11:33 am |
      • Aly

My father-in-law told my husband that! Also – his father told him! I love it! We tried it with our daughter, no dice- she just replied, " I can already whistle."

July 21, 2010 at 2:43 pm |
    • Susan

My mom used to tell me to eat the crust, because she said so. And if that didn't work I was reminded of the starving children in China. Funny, when she would suggest I dig a hole to China to keep myself busy during the summer months all I could think of was to take them some food.

July 21, 2010 at 11:53 am |
      • 草泥马

I don't know how old are you lady,but acctually there's much less starving people in China now,although more and more youths can't afford their houses.

July 25, 2010 at 2:28 am |
      • Lenée

Well that was random....... and a bit disrespectful calling Susan "lady" and knocking her mention of China, as if that has anything to do with her views on China's current economic status. She's only sharing a childhood memory which happens to contain concern for children possibly going hungry in China, and a charitable and selfless thought of wanting to feed them. I'm sure there's a thread somewhere out there where you can discuss the current economics of China.

July 28, 2010 at 4:47 pm |
    • B

My mom said that it gave you curly hair too! Sometimes, I wonder if it did happen because now I have really curly hair! :)

July 21, 2010 at 11:53 am |
    • Giggles

Three cheers for your dad!

July 21, 2010 at 12:58 pm |
    • Raed

ANd I believed them because I always ate my crusts and I have curly hair!

July 21, 2010 at 12:59 pm |
    • NewWicca

My grandma always used to tell us the story of three brothers that were in jail. Two would eat the crusts of their bread and the third one wouldn't. The first two brothers who ate their crusts made the plan to break out of jail, and they asked the thrid to go along. They all tried to break out of their cells, but only the two that ate their crusts could bend the bars, but the third brother couldn't. He had to stay behind. The moral of the story? Eat your bread crusts so you can break out of jail. What a life lesson from your grandma! LOL :)

July 21, 2010 at 1:18 pm |
      • Lenée

Hahahahahaha!!!!

July 28, 2010 at 4:48 pm |
    • Joanna

My mum told me that the bread crust had more nutrition in it than the rest of the bread. I tried that one out on my partner's daughter at dinner recently (attributing it to my mum who was sitting at the table too) but she didn't buy it.

Also, brown eggs have more nutrition than white eggs – she actually believed that one.

July 21, 2010 at 4:39 pm |
      • Ash

Haha, I never had to be persuaded to eat my bread crusts so I had never anything like that before, but recently a friend (in her 20s) was complaining about bread being sold in the store with pre-removed crusts – they've removed all the nutrients, she said! I didn't have the heart to tell her that was probably just something her mother told her as a child to get her to eat them!!

July 21, 2010 at 6:04 pm |
    • Gina

what's so great about the crust that your parents wanted you to eat it so badly?

July 24, 2010 at 11:41 pm |
      • Misha

I don't really know. I guess 'cause they don't want to have to bother to cut 'em off. We parents can get pretty lazy at times.

July 27, 2010 at 7:17 pm |
  46. Darla

I remember my grandpa telling us that if you swallowed a watermelon seed, a watermelon would grow in your belly.

July 21, 2010 at 9:21 am |
    • Tara

my grandpa told me the same thing!!

July 21, 2010 at 9:40 am |
    • Heather

My grandpa told me that too and I think about it to this day every time I eat watermelon!

July 21, 2010 at 10:05 am |
      • Warren

Mine told me that too.

July 21, 2010 at 10:21 am |
      • yukonmukon

In other news, all you people are related. :P

July 21, 2010 at 10:45 am |
    • yuna

i used to hear that from my grandparents and parents too..
      and funny thing, i believed on it until i was in highschool... hahahah

July 21, 2010 at 11:13 am |
    • Tom

My grandfater took it a step further and tooh a leaf from his watermellon patch and stuck it in his ear. He pulled it out exclaiming "see I told ya".

July 21, 2010 at 12:55 pm |
    • zomge

My dad told me the same thing haha. I was just old enough to realize that if that happened it would kill me, but didn't know that it couldn't happen. I cried for the next two days until my dad felt so bad for me that he told me he was just playing a joke on me.

July 21, 2010 at 4:19 pm |
    • Joanna

I had the apple and orange seed version of that story.

July 21, 2010 at 4:45 pm |
    • Brandi

My dad told me the same thing...then one time I accidentally swallowed one and started bawling because I knew what was to come! He then tried to tell me it wasn't true, but I don't think that reassured me much at the time!

July 24, 2010 at 11:25 pm |
    • yohnewman

like the infant stages of us. It remembers with the lie ..saying... It was answered that the friend was a lie. Because the watermelon was too heavy, and was said that it rotted.

July 25, 2010 at 10:15 pm |
  47. Mike G.

How about brown cows give chocolate milk, and black cows give coffee.

July 21, 2010 at 9:07 am |
    • KK

Brown cows = chocolate milk was a big one when I was growing up. Thanks for the memory nudge. Never heard the dark brown cow answer but love the idea of a coffee cow. I'm going to use that one on my nieces!

July 21, 2010 at 9:26 am |
    • Henry Miller

Seems to me it would have to be café au lait.

July 21, 2010 at 10:32 am |
    • yuna

hahahah..!cool one,Mike...

July 21, 2010 at 11:07 am |
    • Sean

I was 5 years old and remember telling my mom that black moms were cool because they gave their babies chocolate milk and white babies could only got white milk. I was sad because if I wanted chocolate milk we had to buy it at the store.

I'm older and wiser now, but I'm still holding out that the moon is made of cheese.

I also thought that my Mom and Dad could only see in black and white in their childhood, since their TVs weren't in color yet.

July 21, 2010 at 11:38 am |
      • Judy

Tapioca pudding is made from fish eyeballs! Veal is chicken! Pork chops are chicken! Hamburger is chicken! Then what is chicken made of? Hot dogs!
        Shrimp, Lobster, and crabs are all giant bugs that live in the ocean! Thats the reasoning why we didnt eat seafood much cause of my moms allergy LOL. Biologically, this is really true. Multi-legged critters with exo-skeletons = bugs and crustacians!

Sean:

I have never in my life heard of another person thinking people saw in black and white before color TV was invented! I AM NOT ALONE! LOL! I once asked my mom if the whole world was black and white then one day magic happend and POOF the world turned color! I thought thats why the 60's people dressed crazy cause people freaked out about the sudden choice in so many colors of clothing!

July 21, 2010 at 2:35 pm |
      • Lenée

Judy and Sean, I thought the same thing growing up! Kinda like the movie Pleasantville, huh Judy! LOL!!! Great theory BTW about why the sixties were so colorful. I love the way kids minds work! AHHHH....the magic of childhood logic............

July 28, 2010 at 4:01 pm |
    • Matt

I live in a small town in Iowa, so I always had a pretty good idea of what food came from where.

July 21, 2010 at 12:37 pm |
    • Amanda

OMG....I heard that one a million times! And I'm guilty too! I told my little brother and nephew that at the zoo one day! LOL

July 21, 2010 at 1:27 pm |
  48. Rich

I suppose mine was more of an untold truth, that sugary things, like soda, candy, etc.., is poison, and will eventually lead to diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. I suppose a lot of parents keep this from their children.

July 21, 2010 at 9:00 am |
    • Chris

That's fantastic, Rich.

Funny how the truth can work the best!

July 21, 2010 at 10:21 am |
    • Raed

I say that a little is OK but a lot will make you very sick. Even though it tastes good, it will make you very ill if you eat too much. only eat a little bit. I figure total denial will swing things the other way and we hardly every eat processed or sugary foods.

July 21, 2010 at 12:57 pm |
    • Danielle

There isn't anything intrinsically wrong with sugary foods or any junk food, for that matter. They're only bad if they make one gain weight- and, of course, if you're already diabetic you should avoid sugar- but it won't cause diabetes. I think we do kids a disservice by getting all wound up about junk food- it's desirable because kids aren't supposed to have it, it's a "treat" or for "special occasions." In my house we have junk food around all the time, and we're all thin. But we don't get all whacked out about what's "good" and what's "bad." The kids have all figured out how to handle the snacks and mostly choose to eat real food, because quite honestly, it tastes better.

July 22, 2010 at 2:25 am |
      • Diabetic Dr.

Another lie reiterated here in a previous post......diabetics DO NOT "need to avoid sugar." Everything you eat is converted to sugar and some other necessary compounds. Diabetics control high sugar intake to control blood glucose levels, just as non-diabetics should.

July 25, 2010 at 12:11 am |
      • JR

Hey Diabetic Dr, diabetics need to control carbohydrates in general, and simple ones like 'sugar' can cause BS spikes.

And since compared to the average population, the number of allowed carbs per meal/day are small, they should be eating complex carbohydrates and not empty carbs.

Yes, all of your food eventually turns into glucose, but keeping your BS at a steady rate versus dramatic roller coaster ups and down, is important.

But you knew that, right? ;)

July 25, 2010 at 12:23 am |
      • Marshall

If you are really a diabetic dr, which I doubt, you are undoubtedly of that older generation of doctors that actually told us diabetics should eat MORE carbohydrates. That has not been current thinking for quite some time, even among new medical graduates.

July 25, 2010 at 4:30 am |
      • Jonathan

I bet you're fat, otherwise you wouldn't expose your ignorant Texan stupidity by saying that junk food is OK for you and that we do kids a disservice by not letting them by as fat as you.

July 26, 2010 at 9:03 am |
      • Misha

Um.. sugary foods and fatty foods ARE bad or you even if they don't make you fat. They can still cause health problems and affect people in other ways. And by the sound of your comment, it sounded like you eat a lot of junk food. You at least should know what the effects of junk food is.

July 27, 2010 at 7:07 pm |
      • Misha

"We have junk food around all the time" I really feel bad for your kids because they are going to have to grow up obese and fat and diabetic and all that just because their fat mom was just too stupid and ignorant to tell them the truth.

July 27, 2010 at 7:11 pm |
      • Lenée

Danielle–I understand what you're saying....it's about education, moderation, balance and not creating any "Forbidden Fruits" so to speak. When kids are exposed to a wide variety of foods, are taught to eat everything in moderation, to balance their diets, and are taught what the health results are to one's body after consuming a specific food, good and bad, they tend to make wise choices in their food consumption.

Both of my kids have grown to be very conscious of what they consume (they're 17 and 22) and generally chose to eat organic, sustainable and very healthfully (lot's of fruits and veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, etc.), but they also indulge in sweets, salty, and fried food once in a while, but it's very seldom, and always in moderation. And they've both learned to make these 'treats' or 'indulgences' in order to avoid processed foods, HFCS, chemicals and dyes.

I'm sorry others made assumptions about whether or not you teach your kids about food and how to eat based on your post. Just wanted to let you know that I believe I understood what you were trying to say, and I used the same type of philosophy in teaching my kids, and they both turned out to be very healthy, both physically and in their attitudes toward food. Must people get so nasty, use ridicule, and start name-calling if they don't agree or misunderstand what someone says? Honestly.......

July 28, 2010 at 4:32 pm |
    • Dave

It's not really fair to say that sugar = poison. If so we'd all be dead. There is evidence that lots of sugar increases the risk of diabetes and other health problems, but it depends on how much you eat, genetic predisposition, and probably a number of other factors we don't understand yet. Lots of people grew up eating quite a bit of sugar (me for one) and made it through without contracting any major disorders (so far anyway). It's easy to get carried away with your kids and try to shelter them from anything that may cause them harm, even if it's stuff we all did without any negative effect.

July 24, 2010 at 11:34 pm |
      • Marshall

In the amounts we eat it, it IS a poison. In the last 20 years, we have increased sugar consumption in the U.S. 26 pounds to 135 lbs. of sugar per person per year! Prior to the turn of this century (1887-1890), the average consumption was 5 lbs. per person per year! Our brains and bodies worked just fine on that 5lbs. And on the extra amount, obesity is an epidemic.

July 25, 2010 at 4:26 am |
    • burndiscoi

you sound like a really neat-o dad, I bet your kids are just as neat-o. kinda like you...

July 25, 2010 at 12:33 am |